[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

Just finished watching eps 5 and 6. Allow me to share my two cents.

1. I was hoping that the lies about Dalmi-Jipyeong's letters in the past would only last for the first few episodes and the story could then focus more on how they build their start-up and overcome all the struggles surrounding it. I was kinda disappointed with what happened to grandma in eps 6 because then it seems that they would still hide the truth for the next few episodes. 

2. I'm rooting more and more for Jipyeong for his character in general and not necessarily related to the love triangle story. I found his story line the most interesting of all. One of the most memorable scenes for me was the scene where Jipyeong tied grandma's shoes and confronted her whether she had any regret helping him. Grandma said she regretted not meeting Jipyeong any sooner and he shed a tear. Oh my melancholic heart just can't with these kind of scenes. I'm obviously bias, but I think Kim Seon Ho is the scene stealer in this drama. 

On 11/1/2020 at 5:28 PM, Ohsh said:

Actually I don’t think IJ stole DM’s idea. The data sets are free for any groups to choose.  IJ’s concept is different from DM and IJ team did expose the weakness in DS algorithm but in a fair way without any foul play. 

Both sisters are equally hang up on who made the “right” choice and not just IJ.  Although I don’t agree with this idea of right or wrong choice and don’t see the point of it because clearly, the adults were the ones who made the wrong choices and both sisters are victims. They suffered equally, just in different ways.

3. I agree with you. I love this drama so far but still really don't get about the sisterhood conflict. They both made their choices when they were a kid/teenager. The teenage Injae following her mother didn't make her evil nor did the teenage Dalmi choosing dad make her more noble than Injae. I wish Injae's character didn't have to be portrayed as an antagonist. I hope her character development wouldn't turn into a total antagonist and she could show more of her vulnerability and humanist side. By the way, during that scene where Injae's data was used against Samsan algorithm, during those few suspenseful seconds, I was subconciously rooting for Injae and glad when her data won. I didn't realize it before that I was rooting for her. :lol: 

Anyway, I noticed that the rating has been stable ranging between 4-5% so far. It's good for a cable TV drama but I kinda expected that the rating would be higher than this considering the casts. The director and writer are already well-known too. I'm also aware that many K-viewers must have watched it through Netflix as it's trending in Netflix Korea as well. Any thought on this?

• Like 4

Hi everyone! I just want to say that I'm very hooked to Start Up these days. I love everything about the drama from the cinematography, the OSTs, the visuals, and the story.

In all the main characters, I like Han Ji Pyeong the most, not because I ship him with Dal-Mi (well yeah I ship them a little bit but I know that it's a tragic ship and just like Ji Pyeong I don't want to risk getting hurt lol) anyway, what I like Ji Pyeong is how his character is presented in drama.  In most of his life he was alone and at such a young age he already experienced the difficult parts of life. He basically had no one, (well except that part when he met Grandma but it was only for a short time) so he did everything on his own. Now, since he already met Dal-Mi and Do San, I'm looking forward to that part when he will realize that having friends is a nice feeling, and although some friendships are complicated, I hope to see him take risks and be happy with having friends. I would also like to see him take risks and doing the things he had never tried before.

p.s. I love Ji Pyeong and Grandma's interactions.  I'm looking forward to that time when Dal-Mi will see them together.

• Like 2

And I truly hooked with the 3 San aka 3 Mountains aka 3 Musketeers aka 3 Stooges:w00t:

What I like abt Nam Dosan is that he’s not like the regular handsome, tsundere drama hero nor is he a chabeol. He is just guy next door type, who’s nerdy, clumsy & silly & is struggling to strike in the business world. Even so he doesn’t shy away when he met a girl who moves his heart.

And I like Dalmi stance. She likes Dosan, despite his situation. If he’s rich & successful than its good but if not than its fine too because they can work their way together. And I like how positive she is even in her most difficult time.

I also like Jipyeong rag to riches story. Its inspirational how he works his way from what little compensation he got from the orphanage, boldly multiply the money tru investment, which supported his college & eventually held a high position in a big investment company 

As for Injae, I don’t really despise her, because she seems to still care about Dalmi. I think she was trying so hard to proof her choice, choosing to be on her mom side was right because of her guilt towards her dad. If I remember correctly right after her fight with Dalmi she left for USA with mom, and abt the same time their dad died. I think what she regret most was looking down at her dad & not meeting him before leaving. Also after she thought she choose wisely, having a rich stepfather over poor real dad, eventually the stepfather not only cheated her mother, he also took advantage of Injae cleverness so that he can promote his own son.

• Like 4

K-Drama “Start-Up” Actress Suzy’s Character Gets Called Out For Her “Unrealistic Fashion”

“Oh, I get it. She couldn’t buy new shoes because she went broke affording those bags, huh? Come on… Attention to detail is key to creating good K-Dramas.”

“I think it became even more noticeable because a Lady Dior bag is so iconic that it’s pretty much recognizable from miles away.”

“As soon as I saw her with those bags… I couldn’t focus anymore because everything became so unrealistic.”
“I know Suzy is the brand ambassador for Dior and all… but there is a time and place to be plugging products that are $5K expensive.”

“In general, this series doesn’t pay a lot of attention to detail. There is a scene in which they’re all using brand new 2020 phones when it’s set to be in 2016.”

LOL, korean viewers too serious. Dal-mi is broke yet she could afford expensive bags or she spent all on it :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

For some reason I didn’t like DS this episode. He was so annoying when in DM’s house with halmoni and JP, like he was trying to say that he belongs there more than JP when everyone (minus DM) knows that it’s actually JP who belongs there. When DS tried to send him away was really really annoying. Don’t take me wrong, I love Nam Joo Hyuk but DS is not my type of hero. I know they’re trying to cover their mistake of making the second lead more amazing than the first lead by making him naive and stuff but I really don’t like DS. This episode cemented that.

JP is still WINNING. Jesus, I’m falling more and more in love with him.

That cameo of Se Yoon tho was fire. The 2DN1 brothers meet up. I wanna see the BTS of Seon Ho and Se Yoon. Hahahaha must been hilarious. 

I love Kim Seon Ho so much my heart is ACHING.

• Like 3

The ending credits hinted that DM’s feelings for JP were more of gratitude and nostalgia. The letters helped her got through a difficult time in her life and it’s something she’ll always carry in her heart. On the other hand, her feelings towards DS is partly uncertain, how she felt like he’s a different person, she’s still getting to know him but he made her heart flutter, that’s exactly the feeling of falling in love, you’re not fully certain but there is a strong pull towards that’s person. I’m firmly on team DS, although I like JP too and hope he finds his happiness too. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

About today eps

Sorry for jipyeong, people see about the letter,all that attention,help and make they root for him for the first few episodes but he always unsure of his feelings, he always hesitate to take a step forward & care too much abt his pride.

As for dosan this eps is turning point for him to make moves

EmO_htVVgAEVxPh?format=jpg&name=large

she didnt want see dal mi hurting again so he step up and show his emotion for first time

EmO_jvRU8AEX88i?format=jpg&name=large

also the project about her grandmother.

he really proves that even though dalmi first love and the old nam do san is the one that she likes,but the present nam do san makes her excite more about him.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I guess the kettle epilogue signals that now DM move from old DS to Current DS. at first I thought it means that old DS will be the winner, but when she explain what she like about current DS + kiss scene, that scene must be the point where current DS trumps old DS.

I'm quite surprised that JP still did not know how he feels about DM in this episode. He even pushed DM away! maybe he just realize it at the end of the episode, but we don't know for sure. Maybe he got a chance with DM if he realize his feelings a bit sooner. If he realize it at the time they visit DM house, this whole story might be different.

Well at the end of the day, this drama is also about missed opportunity. Timing is also an important part of relationship.

BTW, I think I see tongue in the kiss scene. Is it just me? it is rare to see kiss like that in Kdrama. most of the time they just nibble 1 half of the lip.  probably those two are now single so they can do that?

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Some people said Dalmi and Do San relationship is based on a lie. I'm rooting for Do San from the begining because: 

- He went to see and help Dalmi out of goodwill and genuine curiosity (without receiving pay from Ji Peong). 

- He initiate the first step of return and running to her to give his business card - to indicate a call me again anytime 24/7 (while Ji Peong insists him to cut tie with her the moment they part). He did this out of the blue - he decide to sail without knowing the destination. This is how he starts a bond with Dalmi. 

- Of course he is struggle deeply about the lies and the origin of letters 15 years ago. He shows ambition of winning Dalmi's heart by being himself - this was when Dalmi identified one thing she likes that truly belong to the real Dosan - his hand. To me this indicate a physical feeling, Dosan is actually be there for Dalmi and not through letters or some sort of "long distance" thing. 

The letters were created base on lies. Ji Peong wrote those letters half true base on his own experiences, but half of it are made up. They even use Dosan's name by chance. 

Ji Peong has so much pride and does not want to realize he has feelings for Dalmi. As a viewer, I want to see him eat his words, but at the same times this is his charms to the viewers (the tsundere type). His pride has been there since he was a high school kid - remember how he refused grandma's help. this type of character needs someone who persistent to take care of them (remember how grandma just cleverly leave the key for him even though he keeps saying no). 

Ji Peong is Ji Peong, he is a fun and charming character, but I just don't see him with Dalmi. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

In Jae first pretending to be the girl

on the swing (episode 1 clearly shows it was Dal Mi with the dad in the swing scene) and now pushing Dal Mi to a money oriented project which was opposite the dads acquaintance expectation was so underhanded. I was expecting a poised and graceful Injae this is  disappointing as she’s now evidently the typical antagonist. 

I’m Team Nam Do San and JPY like by 51:49 percent ;) , but Yes Nam Do San was irritating in the scene at Dal MI’s house and behaved out of character completely. I don’t know if that was the intention of the episode since breaking the glass was also out of character for the resilient Buddha? Or maybe they wanna show that Dalmi brings him the passion+purpose+drive+ambition+Competitive spirit that he lacked? He gave away a gold medal but is fighting like a kid for Dal MI’s attention.

to me the kettle symbolised the tea boiling under the surface and almost about to pour over/spill. I think all the protagonists have a certain notion of life, values/ethics and goals that are now at boiling point And being tested. How far are they willing to go for their goals and how will the emotions bubbling and pouring out from under the surface hinder or drive them. I think a start up is equally IQ, EQ and PR skills and that’s what they need to balance. 

Edited by Raynaa
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Choosing between 2 difficult options, i think this drama’s trying to highlight this point.

From the beginning of eps, both Dalmi & Injae were forced to choose: Mom or Dad.

Dalmi chose Dad, and think it’s her best decision which she won’t ever regret. What motivates Dalmi the most now is that she wants to prove to others her decision was right. Look at she didn’t even bother being humiliated for what she’s done (kneeling, begging, and else) but she just can’t handle it when someone tell her it’s a bad thing to choose her Dad. She lost it when people looking at her with pity and thinking she must be regret her decision—which is she never be.

On the other hand, Injae, while everyone agree that her decision was right, is actually living in doubt. Like she also wants to be acknowledged and “be chosen”.

and yes, the writer’s trying to give a difficult options for Dalmi Love life too. Your first love who helped you went through the hard times in childhood, or someone new who brings those heart fluttering feeling inside.

but in the end, choosing between the two doesn’t always mean a win for one and lose for the other right? Like even when you chose Dad, Mom is still your Mom, and vise versa.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

The second lead syndrome is making it hard to watch for me (oh im still 100% watching tho :grin:). I feel for JPY because of his backstory and bond with Grandma.  Sometimes, you love someone's mom/grandmom and you see some of those same qualities in their daughter/grandmother..I think that is a bit of what is happening with JPY. But who knows if there is any chemistry there?  

Not really a big fan of Nam Do So.  He is making moves on her while she is under the impression that he was the guy that spend all that time writing those thoughtful letters. That's the worst lie imo because he seems to be trying to build a relationship off it. Guess he still has a little time to come clean but it still didn't sit right with me.  The scene before the kiss was great, but wouldn't he feel bad because of the lies? Idk, maybe he comes clean soon. 

Edited by sikma42
  • Like 2