[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

5 hours ago, rocher22 said:

I like the chemistry between these main leads...

Im glad that DM found out the truth. 

I think she is currently in love only with those letters.

I liked the scene when DS asked her to say what she likes about him.

He just wanted to hear her mention something of his.

I laughed when DM and DS with his squad, met by chance at that bookstore. :lol:

Talking about the scene when DS asked DM about what she likes about him...

Can anyone give some insight about the scene next after that. After DM get into her house, she kinda ponder there for a while before checking her phone.. what is your takes about that scene? Because i don’t know what is she thinking about... anyone?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yoyo_icecube said:

Talking about the scene when DS asked DM about what she likes about him...

Can anyone give some insight about the scene next after that. After DM get into her house, she kinda ponder there for a while before checking her phone.. what is your takes about that scene? Because i don’t know what is she thinking about... anyone?

Maybe that scene means that she feels something towards him regardless of those letters.

This drama reminds me a little of the novel ''Cyrano de Bergerac''.

The heroine received letters from an officer and fell in love with him.

But those letters were written by Cyrano who was secretly in love with that heroine....:)

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 3:25 PM, blue_fleurs said:

On a totally different note, I agree with the opinion that Suzy's character is really being under utilized.  I see her as a girl who misses her penpal and all, but wish by this episode we'd know more about how she fits into the start up world.  Does she code/is she a developer?  Is she a business strategist..?  The scene where she sits in her room with a pen and talks to her grandma about business ideas, was she doing anything else??  Maybe I should watch til the end of eps 4 to get an answer, but would have loved to see a flashback scene when she was young finding notes belonging to her Dad with rough sketches of a business plan and her working all these years to make that business come into fruition... something like that.

I think you fail to see the characterization of Dalmi throughout the drama. She was shown to have the highest drive and passion among 4 leads. She is also greedy, knows multiple languages plus she have experience in tackling high pressure situations. All of these are a making of a good CEO. The fact she assist her dad in his business proposal and even gave him some advice means she is also has good business intuition. Her only lacking is that she's not technically educated enough in the matter of business but her strengths are too OP already, I think she only needs investors and professionals under her to make a company successful.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

hi guys! i’m glad there are many current good dramas to watch after DYLB, Start Up is one of my favs as of now. Ep 1 was amazing, such a strong start. Just like many of you guys, Halmeoni-Jipyeong relationship is my fav. A pleasant surprise was ep 3, funniest ep of k-drama i’ve seen in a while, like LOL worthy hahaha now i know why Dosan is the male lead.

Unpopular opinion, while DM is super lovable, i found myself rooting for IJ after we know that the girl in the swing is her. She’s just the same wounded puppy as her sister, but put out a stronger front as her defense mechanism. Deep down she’s definitely regretting her decision, especially after she found out that her dad passed away. I can’t predict the future relationships, it’d be great if JP & IJ can fell for each other. Such a strong couple they’ll be! 

Wishful scenes would be IJ tearful reunion with Grandma. Bcs i believe Grandma is a strong bond to the their broken family, she can be IJ great source of support. while Mom is not the best choice for a while, i’d like to see her divorce. then the family can be back together as the 4 strong women unite. 

I know we dont see the child counterpart leads interact in the flashback scenes. but it’d be interesting if child IJ is the one who notice that Grandma has been hiding child JP. child JP too could have flickered interest in seeing child IJ in real life. that’ll make both sisters have long history with JP.

Only 4 eps in, i believe in where this writer will take us in the story. Writer has proven us that she did not disappoint with her previous works. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, rocher22 said:

I laughed when DM and DS with his squad, met by chance at that bookstore. :lol:

You know right:D I haven’t laugh so hard watching a drama for a long time...And I have laughed so hard, so many times within just 4 episodes of Start up....and I’ve made up my mind not to watch the drama on my phone while in public or people would think I’m some cuckoo ahjuma:lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I just finished watching episode 3 and 4. Gotta admit I'm also having the second lead syndrome. I feel that Jipyeong's story line keeps making me rooting more for him. One scene in particular was when all of them played Go-Stop at Jipyeong's apartment/Samsan' office. Dalmi wanted to celebrate Dosan's birthday, which was actually Jipyeong's. She told Dosan that playing Go-Stop was his wish as written in his letter. But Jipyeong couldn't remember why he chose playing the card game as his wish. Later he remembered that when he was writing that letter, he watched on TV that during holiday family gathers around and playing games. But he doesn't have a family and perhaps he wrote playing card as a subconscius choice projecting his deepest desire. When he finally recalled, Jipyeong made a slight smile. *There suddenly someone chopped onions in front of my eyes :cry:* Anyway, I really admire Nam Da Reum and Kim Seon Ho's acting. They are top-notch.

However, I do know the drill that the second lead rarely gets the girl in the end. Dalmi's first love was not the original Dosan nor Jipyeong. It was the persona that Jipyeong and grandma created. Even though Dalmi would later find out, there are few reasons that her feelings will grow on the current Jipyeong (at least as shown up to eps 4). On the other hand, Dosan is there at the same starting line with Dalmi. Even though the current Dosan is different than the persona portrayed through the letters, they will have the journey navigating through the tides and waves of start-up world together, hence creating room for their feelings to grow. 

I like how each of the 4 main characters has their own insecurity, vulnerability and personal goals they want to pursue. I just hope the story lines in the rest of the drama will not be dominated by the love triangle story because I have a second lead syndrome and will put more emphasis on how these characters grow, overcome their insecurities and achive their goals. 

By the way, in the latest episode of 2 Days 1 Night, Kim Seon Ho briefly mentioned that he just spent 13 hours to continously shoot for crying scenes. Oh Jipyeong, why would you cry that much? :bawling:HJP_crying.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, wildcherry said:

You know right:D I haven’t laugh so hard watching a drama for a long time...And I have laughed so hard, so many times within just 4 episodes of Start up....and I’ve made up my mind not to watch the drama on my phone while in public or people would think I’m some cuckoo ahjuma:lol:

Actually there were a quite a few hilarious scenes.  One that also got me in stitches was when Do San accidentally slammed the door on the way out and the parents flinch-synced.  Hahahaha.  Then Do San stuck his head out of the door apologizing and the mom was upset the Dad was so quick to think the worse of him and then she also slammed the room's door after walking in.  Poor Dad flinched on repeat.  Haha

OMG saturday can't come soon enough, this week's been dragging.  At least it's thursday afternoon here, two more sleeps to go. ARGH.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

It’s been ages I haven’t been affected by 2nd lead syndrome ! 
The last time I had it was during the drama “kill me heal me” time but thankfully it was cured in “she was pretty” era ! 

I came to wait eagerly for startup kdrama literally for our main couples oozing chemistry (ended up knowing the writer was park hye ryun which made me even more thrilled)

But never in my wildest dreams i thought I would get infected with 2nd lead syndrome right from the 1st ep !

Me walking back and forth from the thought :

“let dal mi get do san”

le me after 10 mins:

“no let dal mi get jin pyeong“

”no do san”

”no jin pyeong”

why did the writer made me end in this state ?tenor.gif?itemid=14090287

le me praying to Lord to get another drama for suzy and seon ho (which can be done only through miracle)

tenor.gif

so that I will be satisfied in either way 

(nam joo hyuk <3 suzy )

(kim seon heo <3 suzy) 

”I JUST SIMPLY LOVE BOTH THE PAIRS”

:crymeme:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Major Second Lead Syndrome  :sweat_smile:

This is the second drama that's made me come here after Hospital Playlist. I know a lot of people have already said it, but I thought I'll put in my two cents as well coz this reminds of so many other somewhat similar plots.

Just to get it out of the way, I love the whole cast, including NJH. But I have a soft spot for KSH since Chief Kim days and I still haven't gotten over Strongest Deliveryman.

First, this reminds me of Cyrano de bergerac, although in this drama it can be argued that both Grandma and Ji Pyeong are Cyrano. And it also debatable as to who actually "got" Roxane in the end in that play. My problem with Start-up is from a narrative and more of a screenplay standpoint. In Ep1, when HJP and DM exchange letters, there's that one scene where he sort of looks fondly at the letter in the bird box and then sits down to read it - a change from the earlier scenes where he feels it's an ordeal. Kinda felt that he also had started looking forward to them, although 15 years later he doesn't seem to have attached any particular significance to a year of pen-palship. Also, what's up with Nam Da-reum playing younger JYP. I thought he takes only lead characters' younger versions :lol:. He slays as usual. Back to the point, in Ep 4, there are a few things that stood out (I know it's not a Shin-Lee drama, so these may not necessarily be "clues") - He tells Nam Do San that he isn't giving him the clothes, watch, etc and that he needs to return everything carefully back to him... The money plant given by DM to DS somehow ends up with JP and he is seen watering it... Of all things DM listed about liking DS, all but one point to JP.

Second, it's almost always the letter writer who ends up with recipient. Shout out to all Indians here, who'll find the similarities between Start-up and the Bollywood film 'Mujhse Dosti Karoge' and 'Na Tum Jaano Na Hum' - both of which after much confusion had the two pen-pals end up together. While it wasn't a great film, I quite liked the ending of the latter and how the two come together after several years. If Start-up does go that way, I prefer such an ending where JP might bow out for a while, DS goes on to be a great CFO of a successful start-up, but years later DM (also successful in whatever she chooses) is still waiting for the DS of her letters (aka JP) to show up. That's also staying true to the title coz I want to see all of them including In-Jae realize their entrepreneurial ambitions.

Regarding other dramas/movies which feature mistaken identity, the wrong guy usually shows up first and has the FL, her family and us the audience fall for him. So by the time, the actual guy turns up, you don't much care. Here, it's the reverse and the so-called "second lead" shows up first, has an elaborate back story, an entire episode almost solely devoted to him and is the true writer of the letter.

Despite the k-drama trope of childhood crushes/first loves being endgame, from the promos it's pretty clear that NJH is the first lead. Although I do so wish, that like a few (extremely rare TBH) k-dramas, this one takes the less-traveled road of pairing the FL with the second-billed male actor.

On a side-note, following in the 2020 pattern, where I dropped every single one of the high-anticipated dramas with big names midway, and went to watch and love the ones that were relatively low-key, I didn't expect to love Start-up so much based on the promos. The visuals, the acting, the OST are on point. Not to mention some of the comic scenes are pure gold.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Binal Doshi said:

Major Second Lead Syndrome  :sweat_smile:

This is the second drama that's made me come here after Hospital Playlist. I know a lot of people have already said it, but I thought I'll put in my two cents as well coz this reminds of so many other somewhat similar plots.

Just to get it out of the way, I love the whole cast, including NJH. But I have a soft spot for KSH since Chief Kim days and I still haven't gotten over Strongest Deliveryman.

First, this reminds me of Cyrano de bergerac, although in this drama it can be argued that both Grandma and Ji Pyeong are Cyrano. And it also debatable as to who actually "got" Roxane in the end in that play. My problem with Start-up is from a narrative and more of a screenplay standpoint. In Ep1, when HJP and DM exchange letters, there's that one scene where he sort of looks fondly at the letter in the bird box and then sits down to read it - a change from the earlier scenes where he feels it's an ordeal. Kinda felt that he also had started looking forward to them, although 15 years later he doesn't seem to have attached any particular significance to a year of pen-palship. Also, what's up with Nam Da-reum playing younger JYP. I thought he takes only lead characters' younger versions :lol:. He slays as usual. Back to the point, in Ep 4, there are a few things that stood out (I know it's not a Shin-Lee drama, so these may not necessarily be "clues") - He tells Nam Do San that he isn't giving him the clothes, watch, etc and that he needs to return everything carefully back to him... The money plant given by DM to DS somehow ends up with JP and he is seen watering it... Of all things DM listed about liking DS, all but one point to JP.

Second, it's almost always the letter writer who ends up with recipient. Shout out to all Indians here, who'll find the similarities between Start-up and the Bollywood film 'Mujhse Dosti Karoge' and 'Na Tum Jaano Na Hum' - both of which after much confusion had the two pen-pals end up together. While it wasn't a great film, I quite liked the ending of the latter and how the two come together after several years. If Start-up does go that way, I prefer such an ending where JP might bow out for a while, DS goes on to be a great CFO of a successful start-up, but years later DM (also successful in whatever she chooses) is still waiting for the DS of her letters (aka JP) to show up. That's also staying true to the title coz I want to see all of them including In-Jae realize their entrepreneurial ambitions.

Regarding other dramas/movies which feature mistaken identity, the wrong guy usually shows up first and has the FL, her family and us the audience fall for him. So by the time, the actual guy turns up, you don't much care. Here, it's the reverse and the so-called "second lead" shows up first, has an elaborate back story, an entire episode almost solely devoted to him and is the true writer of the letter.

Despite the k-drama trope of childhood crushes/first loves being endgame, from the promos it's pretty clear that NJH is the first lead. Although I do so wish, that like a few (extremely rare TBH) k-dramas, this one takes the less-traveled road of pairing the FL with the second-billed male actor.

On a side-note, following in the 2020 pattern, where I dropped every single one of the high-anticipated dramas with big names midway, and went to watch and love the ones that were relatively low-key, I didn't expect to love Start-up so much based on the promos. The visuals, the acting, the OST are on point. Not to mention some of the comic scenes are pure gold.

Hi, this is my first time posting here and i come out of my shell due to the urge i felt in protecting my ship :grin:. I seriously hope that writer-nim wont get distracted by the many supports towards JP-DM pairing, and let DS-DM remains till the end :sweat_smile: I also hope that there will be more DS and DM scenes because I think viewers can get confused by such heavy backstory and treatment with JP character. 

Even though i'm not an indian, I am a fan of the earlier bollywood movies, and had watched the two movies you mentioned. If we compare the posters, Start Up clearly put more focus on DS and DM in contrast with that two movies' posters. There is a poster of just DM and DS but no poster with DM and JP.  And the poster of the four leads also have DS sitting in front while JP standing at the back. So yeah, I believe and truly hope that DS-DM is the true OTP of this drama. 

DS is head over heels for DM and even if he ends up being successful later, i cant watch him not getting his love reciprocated because he has always been true, forward and transparent with his feelings for her. 

Btw, I seriously love this drama and has became pretty obsessed already hahaa. It is so good all around that I end up rewatching it over and over, listening to the osts and watching the related clips in youtube instead of watching other dramas that i initially followed prior to this. I hope it continues being well-made, fun and lovely till the end. 

• Like 4

I know many are rooting for Ji-Pyeong to be with Dal-mi as much as those who are rooting for Do-San & Dal-mi. For me Ji-Pyeong, Dal-mi & Do-San relationships are not as simple as they seem.

Yes Ji-Pyeong did wrote those letters years ago with different identity & also many of those letters were written together Grandma wisdom. Anyway the ongoing letters were for about year, and that becomes a comfort for young Dal-mi. And despite what Dal-mi said  she wasn't in love with young Do-San. Infatuated maybe, but definitely not love. She was only abt 13/14 years old at the time, never once met  young Dosan (sure she had cross path with young Ji-Pyeong but she had no idea he was the one who wrote the letters), and she just lost her beloved mom & sister, later her dad. So of course she would turn to her penpal letters for consolation.

15 years later, she met her sister again, wanting to brag abt her great life because she choose her dad, & alsoto show off her rich & able bf. If Ji-Pyeong comes forward when Do-San turn down his offer or offers himself as the bf's role, then Dal-mi doesn't have to lie about a successful bf anymore, right... just tell her sister that her real bf is Ji-Pyeong, problem solved. However it wasn't the case. Ji-Pyeong maybe realised his true feeling for  Dal-mi a bit too  late, but because of that, giving more time for Dal-mi to develop her feeling for the real Do-San. And so far she sincerely accepting the real Do-San as he is. Even knowing he isn't successful as he seems, she was fine with it. 

Also it would be possible when she finds out abt Ji-Pyeong & the letters, she'll get angry & upset because after 15 years Ji-Pyeong still lied to her, even went out of his way to create the perfect Do-San for her. And that certainly won't put him in her good books. 

So for now I'm still on Dosan-Dalmi team & Jipyeong-Grandma team. Actually I'm still hoping he could tame In-Jae & ends up with her

• Like 6