[Drama 2021] L.U.C.A.: The Beginning, 루카

larus

On 2/2/2021 at 2:28 AM, Fabbo said:

It doesn't have the blockbuster production value they might have strived for but it looks decent. The action is pretty good as well.

The drama is veeery pulpy. I think you have to be up for that ride. And of course the drama is self aware of its genre as you can see when they repeat the scene with the truck for example.

I enjoyed the intensity towards the end and am looking forward to more of that. And if the romance is half as hot as their photoshoot together... 

Oh and i have to mention Kim Sang-Ho who is always a great sidekick.

(I naturally got reminded of Awaken and this is already a big step up for me)

Video from the 1st look photoshoot with this visual couple 

Yay for Lee Da Hee to have a lead role at last and with a nice, handsome tall actor:D  She said one of the reasons she doesn't get cast for roles is because of her tall height:(

I have seen the Awaken comparisons in a few places but LUCA was actually shot first. They completed LUCA filming in October 2020 before Awaken even aired and Awaken only finished filming in Jan 2021. I guess LUCA requires a lot more special effects work so they pushed it back. I agree LUCA already seems like a far superior drama.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

EVENT: My Ultimate Oppa - Part 2

Your request has been granted. :kiss_wink: We put up a new My Ultimate Oppa poll!

This time featuring:

Ahjussi oppas, Super Ahjussi oppas, Grandpa oppas and Keanu Reeves

Please vote for your favorites!

re: @Lmangla

:partyblob:

• Where's My Oppa? 1

I just finished watching the first two episodes. This is very entertaining. Such good acting. The wounded strange character of Ji-O has drawn me in. I do think there is chemistry between the two mains.

Random Thoughts.

Something ocurred to me about the name L.U.C.A.  It could be a coincidence, but there is a character in The God Father named Luca Brasi - who has a terrible story.  I don't remember the details but he threw an infant down an incinerator in his past.. I think it was his own child.  

Also, lately Awaken was about experiments on children and using their serum for eternal life. There is a lot of talk about the sexual abuse of children these days and also certain hormones being used by depraved international groups.. that is part of the Q-Anon conspiracy.    This show also has infanticide and child abuse.. and also to make people super human. 

Just thinking that sometimes the themes in dramas have an eerie connection to the current trends that are in the universal psyche.   This theme disconnects the trust and security and love between parents and children and between the generations. And questions our trust in the true hunanity and  objectives of modern science. 

• Like 4

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] L.U.C.A.: The Beginning, 루카 - Mon & Tue @ 21:00 KST

New interview / game with TVn

I've translated some parts for y'all. (Lee Da Hee is so pretty and adorable, i cannot deal)

Loving their banter as well. Looks like they had tons of fun on set.

First round was "how well do you know each other?" - the actors have to answer by raising the "right" or "wrong" signs. 

1st question (written on the screen at 0:21) : "This is Kim Rae Won's first TVn drama"

KRW and LDH both answered yes. Only Kim Sung Oh got it wrong :lol: he tried to explain himself and said something along the lines of: "No it's because I was looking at the right answer, it was a mistake. I meant to say yes. I was looking at "O" " (Kim Rae Won and Lee Da Hee both make fun of him).

The rest under cut because this got long

Spoiler

Second question: "Kim Rae Won prefers acting in action dramas rather than in melodramatic ones"

They all answer "x"

KRW explains (referring to Luca): "All these action scenes were exhausting / hard"

Question 3: "Ji Oh's first meeting with Gu Reum was on by the Han river in downtown Seoul"

They all answer "x"

Question 4: "This is the first detective role for Lee Da Hee"

Lee Da Hee can't stop laughing at KRW & KSO's wrong answers, and the screen shows "Just let it go, let it go" :lol:

Question 5: "The fans nickname for Lee Da Hee is 'snail' ("Dalpaeng-i" in korean)" (:lol:)

KRW goes: "How can we possibly know the answer?"

KSO says "Right, how can we know the answer? But come to think of it, there's a bit of a snail in her" (lol what??)

LDH: "Isn't it rather 'Da Paeng-i"? (a play on word with her name "Da" instead of "Dal") but even if you wrote Da-Paeng-i, Oppas wouldn't have known the answer anyway."

KSO: "What kind of Paeng...?" 

Question 6: "The first place where Gu Reum ate with her colleagues was at a bbq (samgyeopsal) restaurant."

Kim Rae Won & Lee Da Hee sneakily looking at each other's notice sign before answering. 

Kim Rae Won hesitates. "No of course it wasn't a bbq place."

Lee Da Hee: "Then where was it Oppa?"

Kim Rae Won: "Uhh, where was it...?"

Lee Da Hee: "Okay he doesn't know."

Kim Sung Oh: "I only look at my answers. I don't care about the others."

Lee Da Hee: "It was a Haejangguk place." 

Kim Rae Won: "Right. It wasn't a Samgyeopsal place."

[Screen goes: We recommend you watch the first episode again]

Question 7: "Kim Sung Oh lost 15kg to prepare for the role"

Yes

Question 8: "Kim Sung Oh's favorite movie villain is the Joker"

KRW & LDH both answered "O" 

KSO's answer was "x" : "I honestly never thought about it. But i would say Gary Oldman in Leon."

Question 9: "The reason why Lee Son is chasing after Ji Oh is because of money."

KRW & LDH's answer is "O"

KSO: x

Kim Rae Won: "Isn't it about money?" (ㅋㅋㅋㅋ)

Second round is a mental & rapidity game. Where they have to guess sentences / words with only a few characters of the korean alphabet.

Kim Rae Won: "You must say your full name before answering right?"

Lee Da Hee: "Gu Reum!"

Kim Rae Won: "We said full name."

Lee Daa Hee: "Sky's Gu Reum!"

1st question:

Lee Da Hee: "Oh this one is easy. Kim Hong Seon"

Screen shows Kim Rae Won and the words "Really?"

Question 2: 

KSO: "Are they just words or an actual sentence?"

Staff: "They're words mixed together"

KSO: "Oh wait, i think I got it. I have about 50% right now. It's... Lee Son has a lot of free time / Lee Son is free" (this one was hard to translate, basically he means that Lee Son has a lot of free time, that he's not busy or something like that).

Lee Da Hee (laughing): "How did you come up with that?" 

Kim Rae Won: "No but I think he's right!"

Kim Rae Won: "I don't see any other possibilities"

Kim Sung Oh: "As for the end... isn't it something like Lee Son is free... [blank] you want to come?"

Kim Rae Won: "Lee Son is free... fighting!" (Honestly not sure if this is the right translation)

Everyone burst out laughing. 

Lee Da Hee: "Oh I figured out the middle part."

Kim Rae Won: "What is it?"

Lee Da Hee: "Isnt it action?"

Kim Sung Oh: "Ooh that kind of meaning"

Kim Rae Won: "Action... fighting!"

Kim Sung Oh: "... horror"

Lee Da Hee: "Oh, I know! Korean action hero!"

Question 3: 

Lee Da Hee: "Sky's Gu Reum."

Kim Sung Oh: "that one was easy."

Lee Da Hee: "You need to be faster in raising your hand."

Question 4: 

Lee Da Hee: "TVN!"

Question 5: at the end of the riddle, there's the word ㅋ

Lee Da Hee: "Is that the letter ㅋ  or do you mean 'lol'?"

Kim Rae Won: "I was wondering the same thing" (:lol:)

Kim Rae Won: "Hamateo... ㅋ" (no clue what he meant to be honest)

Lee Da Hee: "Human tech!"

Lee Da Hee: "It looks like the Oppas aren't interested in winning."

Kim Sung Oh: "No but how do you want us to guess these, it's too hard!"

Kim Rae Won: "We're trying really hard right now"

Question 6: this has something to do with tvn. (The screen shows's the channel's slogan: "the fun never stops")

Kim Rae Won: This is too hard

Lee Da Hee: "There no end to fun"

Staff: "You got one word wrong"

Lee Da Hee & Kim Sung Oh raise their end at the same time.

KSO: "The fun never stops."

Round 3: Say a compliment that they probably never heard.

Kim Sung Oh to KRW: "Ji Oh's walk is beautiful."

Kim Rae Won: "wow this is the first time i'm hearing this.

KSO: "He really has a great walk."

LDH: "His current hairstyle suits him the best." (loool lieeeeees)

KSO: "Is that a compliment or a criticism?"

LDH (laughs): "No no it's really a compliment."

KRW: I think you're the first person to tell me that this hairstyle suits me best.

KRW to LDH: "Earlier, you cleared your throat. That was a really pretty sound."

LDH: "Sorry... I already heard this compliment."

KSO: "You did?"

KRW: "I failed."

KSO: "Wow this is really hard... hm. You have a really beautiful /great stomache" (????)

KRW (laughs): "I should have said that as well."

KSO: "Right?"

Staff: "This is the first time you're hearing this right?"

LDH: "Yes" (laughs)

KSO: I'm getting nervous now.

KRW: I think black suits you very well.

KSO: I've never heard this compliment before. 

LDH: Really? 

KSO: I tend to wear white, clear, clothes.

KRW: A neat guy. (laughs)

LDH: You look more like an angel when you don't laugh.

KSO: I've already heard someone say this to me.

LDH: Really?

KSO: People also told me that I look scarier when I laugh.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Also, lately Awaken was about experiments on children and using their serum for eternal life. There is a lot of talk about the sexual abuse of children these days and also certain hormones being used by depraved international groups.. that is part of the Q-Anon conspiracy.    This show also has infanticide and child abuse.. and also to make people super human. 

Just thinking that sometimes the themes in dramas have an eerie connection to the current trends that are in the universal psyche.   This theme disconnects the trust and security and love between parents and children and between the generations. And questions our trust in the true hunanity and  objectives of modern science. 

Yes, I just watched Awaken, and noticed that they had the same themes. Creating humans with super intelligence and power by experimenting on children. I guess that's the new trend.

• Like 4

Captain Jin Hwa is capable and gives orders quickly.

He has no prejudices and the whole team accepted Gureum 

as an equal member.

The scene when they chased Zi O across those rooftops was pretty cool..

That man in black ( KSO's character) knows how powerful Zi O is, but even he was surprised.

Etm-kzCVcAA-ead?format=jpg&name=large

TvN

• Like 2

Lee Da Hee Watches In Fear As Kim Rae Won Is Consumed With Rage At Church In “L.U.C.A.: The Beginning”

55695e5177c948e9933b6e452fdb8758.jpeg?s=

Feb 7, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s new drama “L.U.C.A.: The Beginning” has shared an intriguing sneak peek of its next episode!

“L.U.C.A.: The Beginning” is a new sci-fi action thriller starring Kim Rae Won as Ji Oh, a man who is being chased for his special abilities, and Lee Da Hee as Gu Reum, a violent crimes detective who is the only one who remembers him.

Spoilers

In the first two episodes of the drama, Ji Oh, who had lost his memory, found himself on the run without knowing who was pursuing him. However, whenever he wound up in danger, his superhuman powers would burst forth of their own accord—and he gradually began to learn to control them. Ji Oh also risked his own life to save Gu Reum, who felt certain that he was the boy from her memories of the past.

On February 7, tvN released a new glimpse of the drama’s upcoming third episode, in which Ji Oh and Gu Reum’s quest for the truth will take them to a mysterious church. Not only is the church related to the hidden truth that Gu Reum is chasing, but they also believe that Ji Oh stayed there during his childhood.

After meeting a nun at the church, Ji Oh appears to face internal turmoil as he struggles with his conflicting feelings. Gu Reum looks on warily as he gazes at the nun with an almost sorrowful expression—but before long, his emotions turn to rage, and he soon stands angrily before a blazing fire as the terrified nun begins to pray.

Kim-Rae-Won-Lee-Da-Hee.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1453004wpp/lee-da-hee-watches-in-fear-as-kim-rae-won-is-consumed-with-rage-at-church-in-l-u-c-a-the-beginning

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Kim Rae Won And Lee Da Hee Focus Intently On The Action Behind The Scenes Of “L.U.C.A.: The Beginning”

a80374c9319c419dadfc256ad8408881.jpeg?s=

Feb 8, 2021
by S. Nam

tvN’s “L.U.C.A.: The Beginning” released intense new behind-the-scenes stills of Kim Rae Won and Lee Da Hee!

“L.U.C.A.: The Beginning” is a new sci-fi action thriller starring Kim Rae Won as Ji Oh, a man who is being chased for his special abilities, and Lee Da Hee as Gu Reum, a violent crimes detective who is the only one who remembers him.

Spoilers

With just the first two episodes of the drama having aired, the synergy between Kim Rae Won and Lee Da Hee has proven to be phenomenal. Ji Oh struggles to survive while frightened and confused by his own identity, unaware of who he really is. Kim Rae Won successfully portrayed these emotions amidst the continuous chase scenes Ji Oh faced. Lee Da Hee has also given birth to a new action heroine with her character Gu Reum. Already, viewers are captivated by the two actors’ skilled portrayal of the action and the characters’ emotions.

LUCA-The-Beginning-4.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1453026wpp/kim-rae-won-and-lee-da-hee-focus-intently-on-the-action-behind-the-scenes-of-l-u-c-a-the-beginning

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Captain Jin Hwa is capable and gives orders quickly.

He has no prejudices and the whole team accepted Gureum 

as an equal member.

The scene when they chased Zi O across those rooftops was pretty cool..

That man in black ( KSO's character) knows how powerful Zi O is, but even he was surprised.

@rocher22 My thoughts too. I like their camaraderie.

And what's so enjoyable  this drama from the two episodes, the chase scene. The rooftops leaps, the street chase, the elevator scene, and my fav is the underground scene was done well.  Credit to the director. And as I mentioned previous post, I like that they did not long prolong the GR memories of Zi O she she knows who he is already - the child her parents took home. Credit to the writer .

Underground scene......

"Your eyes. I wonder what I did to you that you look at me like that?"

"How did my eyes look?"

"Like you're happy to see someone you've been wanting to kill"

"You saw correctly"

"What did I do to you?"

"I've been hunting you my entire life to figure that out. I'm the one with questions"

"I waited because I wanted to hear your answer."

"I have nothing to say, so don't follow me. You'll get hurt "

"What happend to my mom and dad?"

"What do you mean?"

"My mom and dad"

cr: @k_dramatrends twt

EtPuXT0XYAcqgMd?format=jpg&name=360x360

EtPuYheXYAIzk3u?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@jongskiI agree...there were a lot of exciting scenes...

I especially liked the street scene when that street lighting was on and off.

And at one point those who were chasing Zi O appeared around the corner.

The underground scene is my fav.

I didnt expect him to say that.

His sentences were calm and simple. 

EtSZZIsXcAAv7Ca?format=jpg&name=medium

https://twitter.com/hashtag/LUCATheBeginning?src=hashtag_click

• Like 2

Kim Rae Won And Lee Da Hee Clash As They Set Out To Uncover The Truth In “L.U.C.A.: The Beginning”

dd54c1509f584d5a9c4a0a8880f2ef02.jpeg?s=

Feb 8, 2021
by S. P

tvN’s new drama “L.U.C.A.: The Beginning” has shared new stills from its upcoming episode!

“L.U.C.A.: The Beginning” is a sci-fi action thriller starring Kim Rae Won as Ji Oh, a man who is being chased for his special abilities, and Lee Da Hee as Gu Reum, a violent crimes detective who is the only one who remembers him. Kim Sung Oh plays Lee Son, who is the chief among Ji Oh’s pursuers and used to be part of the special forces.

Spoilers

After Ji Oh lost his memory and began being chased by unknown pursuers, his life became entangled with Gu Reum’s when he risked his life to save her. Gu Reum also grew certain that Ji Oh was the boy from her memories of the past. Viewers are now curious to learn more about the hidden truth that they’re so desperately searching for.

New stills show Ji Oh and Gu Reum in a tight spot amidst the deadly pursuit. Although they had each instinctively saved the other, they are still essentially strangers who know nothing about one another. Gu Reum even drove Ji Oh into a corner after realizing that the disappearance of her parents could be connected to him. In one still, they let their anger out with their fists as they engage in a physical fight, with Ji Oh pinning Gu Reum against an overturned cabinet.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1453105wpp/kim-rae-won-and-lee-da-hee-clash-as-they-set-out-to-uncover-the-truth-in-l-u-c-a-the-beginning

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Petition for Gu Reum and Ji Oh to catch a break 2K21

I wince everytime they get hurt. Let them breathe a lil' bit c'mon. 

Spoilers obviously but can we all agree that it's completely messed up that:

Spoiler

Lee Son basically wants to cut off Ji Oh's arm to claim as his own?

You got some issues, Son

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I've seen the third episode and viewers will know more about Goo Reum and Ji O's backgrounds.

LUCA is similar to Awaken in that some unscrupulous people are experimenting on genetic alteration and enhancements. But in Awaken, they are using human blood samples from children and changing their genetic makeup by enhancing some of the genes' composition.

In LUCA, they are altering the DNA, changing the human evolution process by mixing their DNA with the DNA harvested from different species. Ji O's DNA is a mix of human, immortal jellyfish, electric eels, and flies. According to Prof. Ryu Joong Kwon, the director of Human Tech, this is a means to make humans more adaptable to and resistant to changes and environmental hazards.

Ji O is human in that he gets injured and bleeds. But at the same time, he heals quickly because his altered genetic makeup are from species that are capable of repairing themselves. On the other hand, Goo Reum is like a fighting machine. She's strong. She has excellent fighting skills, but she gets injured all the same. What is surprising is that she receives blows and attacks from people with super human strengths and still can fight. She gets punched, slashed and thrown against concrete and metal objects but she does not break any bones. Sure, she bleeds, sustain wounds and scratches, but that's all. So if you're paying attention, you'll wonder if she's also a genetically altered person. She even survived the blast in her house when she startled young Ji O who was eating food out of the ref.

Spoiler

There could be a reason why Goo Reum is extra strong. Her father, who's missing, was the founder and chief researcher of Human Tech, as revealed in Ep. 3. He was the one who created Z-O or Ji O. It is now run by Hwang Jung A, and Kim Cheol Soo, who is connected to the NIS. Maybe the NIS is funding the lab, to create invincible human fighting machines.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, reddragon said:

Goo Reum is like a fighting machine. She's strong. She has excellent fighting skills, but she gets injured all the same. What is surprising is that she receives blows and attacks from people with super human strengths and still can fight. She gets punched, slashed and thrown against concrete and metal objects but she does not break any bones. Sure, she bleeds, sustain wounds and scratches, but that's all. So if you're paying attention, you'll wonder if she's also a genetically altered person. She even survived the blast in her house when she startled young Ji O who was eating food out of the ref.

Hmmm. But I guess she will never survived truck-of-doom. Being hit by a truck stopped her heart once while her bones still intact. I really hope that she is also genetically altered by her parents because nothing else can explain the strength she has but lack of concern from her teammates made me thought that in their world, her strength is reasonable for a cop. I mean, I understand that she convinced them that she is okay, but still letting her into the chase is just too questionable. 

That aside, I am still enjoying the story for now and Ep 3 leaves me with goosebumps. I was feeling so uncomfortable watching the whole scene at the church especially during the flashback. Recognizing the actress playing the Sister, I expect something bad will happen and rather than being sorry to the Sister, I can't fully blame little Ji O for blasting the place because what she did to the kid is just too cruel. Her being scared of little Ji O does not excuse her for what she did. 

• Like 5