[Drama 2021] L.U.C.A.: The Beginning, 루카

larus

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still watching coz I like the leads. It's just that the characters is not as fleshed out as I hoped. Been a while since seeing LDH in other than comedic and less polished. I do feel sad for KRW though... There isn't much for him to do but grunt and flex out out while charging that useless currents of his.

Many of the supporting actors are also wasted. Especially Jin Kyung. Her crazy cult-lady role is just meh... Probably the only character to have some sort of growth is Yuna, and I'm thankful for it.

I wonder if they also plan to go multi season with this drama since they added "the beginning" in the title...

1 hour ago, ChyuuNyuu said:

Ugh last episode was a mess -.-

I hope mama will keep her faith in her hubby and not fall for those lies. 
It would be cool to see her fool the bad guys and actually save her baby and Zi O!!!!

After watching Ep 10, I’m all but disappointed with Gu Reum...As much as I understand her internal conflict, it upsets me so much that AFTER EVERYTHING she still fails to believe in Ji-Oh.

Spoiler

That conversation between them in the church broke my heart......

I have not been as frustrated with a FL in a drama as I’ve been in this one. WHYYYY JUST WHYYYY.

@leetaera

Jep. Just watched the episode and exactly what I feared happened. Even without subs I feel it's going down the gutter… 

Spoiler

Really disappointed that we can't see GR stand up for her man!!!! :isannoyed:

EDIT

For some reason I can't make a spoiler tag SORRYY

7 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

After watching Ep 10, I’m disappointed with Gu Reum.

Me too.  I wonder if she’s like this more because she thinks he killed her parents and not so much he was genetically engineered with some non-human DNA.

I wish though that the crazy lady and crazy doctor weren’t his parents.  I’ll pretend they are not :P .  Who knows some other scientist may have switched the ovum and sperm:D

I haven't finished EP10 yet but I am in stage where I am raging mad with those people in power. But what saddened me yet was the fact all the underlings, the powerless still subjected themselves despite being belittled, abused by the higher up. Yi Son especially, can still have heart to heart talk after everything that happened? Their morality is all messed up. They fight with each other, trying to get the upper hand among them, exhausting all their energy fighting with other victims while the people with power sipping wine while watching them. It is not they don't know that fact, but they rather fight with people in the same state as them because they can't change the mentality that the one with power will remain there and no one can fight them. For someone they are calling monster, Ji O is much more human than them. 

I read the comment where they are disappointed with Gu Reum, but remember, she just gave birth. There is no moment she can breath in relieve after giving birth. She is in constant distress state where everyone trying to brainwash her. Post partum depression exist and she is not getting any support at all. Right now, she is fighting only for her and her baby survival. Expecting her to think straight and logically is almost impossible and Gu Reum has always been someone who act based on her emotion, never really logically. 

I wonder how much more this drama can go on. We got all the messed up people in here, I hope they will get repercussion as much as they deserve. Yi Son, I simply give up on you. You are a mindless mercenary after all. 

Just finished episodes 9-10 -

... and the wheels fell off the train...and then it went over a cliff

I always knew Yi-Son and Yoo-Na were tragic characters. I was even prepared for 1 or both to be killed, and or sacrifice themselves, presumably in some sort of redemption arc, but this is completely ridiculous. Yoo-Na had tried numerous times to get Yi-Son to give up on his vendetta against Zi-O, she knew that Yi-Son couldn't beat him. So we're supposed to believe she is going to attack Zi-O herself? As if killing her character off wasn't bad enough, then Yi-Son kills Won-Yi, and gets another beat down courtesy of Zi-O ... and we are still supposed to believe that Yi-Son is some sort of super soldier? Not making stupid decisions like that he's not.

As for Gu Reum, she knew what Zi-O was before she got involved with him. She spent 9 months+ with him knowing that he had been experimented on, Knowing he was a suspect in his parents murder, Knowing what he was capable of if he was attacked - yet now she acts like all this is new to her? She's taking the word of those that framed her over the proven actions of a Man that's been trying to protect her from the start? Sorry, that makes absolutely no sense.

Zi-O acting like a deity in the preview :huh: 

The only reason I'm going to finish this drama is that there is only two episodes left. So sad, ... another good drama trashed in the last episodes, just like ALICE

I have a lot to say about ep 10 but I am holding on   

Really i am holding  on till the final week I dont want to say crazy and angry talk before giving them a chance to explain  themselves  next week since I still hoping there something  not like what I feard and saw I just hope that there another twist  between  zi o and Gr  

But really I am holding on , till next week I said in this kind of dramas that hardest  things is to ended it well since most of them go crazy by the end but I hope this drama can prove to be different  

I am still holding on and waiting till next week 

3 hours ago, kdramaddict01 said:

Me too.  I wonder if she’s like this more because she thinks he killed her parents and not so much he was genetically engineered with some non-human DNA.

I wish though that the crazy lady and crazy doctor weren’t his parents.  I’ll pretend they are not  .  Who knows some other scientist may have switched the ovum and sperm

I was thinking that but I don't know.

GR may be playing dumb to get those people to give voice to their thoughts. Or her judgement's clouded by the recent events and her fear for her child. It's difficult to handle so many issues at once. She just gave birth, her husband is nowhere in sight, she and her daughter has been kidnapped, partly her fault for letting her emotions get the better of her and gave away her location because of her phone call to the caring detective. She's still trying to handle the fact that the chief is in cahoots with the greedy and conscience-less people. Of course, there's still that iota of doubt on Zi-O, because the idea that it was him who killed her parents has been ingrained in her mind since she was young. That idea is difficult to complete erase from a person's memory, because erasing it is like forgetting about what happened to her parents. She doesn't even know how here parents died, actually. She's holding on to her belief and what she's been told as a child. BUT, who will reveal the evil deeds of Chul Soo to her? He was the real killer.

Will the chief die or will he have a change of heart, since he now knows that Chul Soo has been dismissed? Yi Son knows many of Chul Soo's secrets. He told Yu Na that he's staying on Chul Soo's side to protect Yu Na. Now that she's gone, is he going to blindly follow the devil or will he go after him. Although his desire to replace his arm might be stronger. I still cannot understand why they have to make a bionic arm that rots. :confounded:

At this stage, I am watching the last 2 episodes to see what powers the baby girl inherited from her father, and if she will be the one to annihilate all those evil doers and save her parents. :lol:

Sorry about that. @Jillia.

Ep. 10, a messy filler episode. When LUCA goes LOCO.

My goodness, Chul Soo can survive the heavy punches of Yi Soon? Fantastic. Why can't Yi Soon be fried by the high voltage electricity from Zi-O?

The daughter can surround herself with a protective shield. So, was she the one who was dropped from the building in Ep 1? Hello, Superman.

Does anyone know is there a season 2 for this drama? Reason asking is because that was named on the title, the LUCA - The Beginning.

In EP 10, his father doctor mentioned about the deity, the story between the lion and clans of hyenas. I love how the writer use the lion and hyena symbiotic relationship. Not sure if this is the hint given by the writer that the ML will create his own kingdom and power with his daughter in the next season, it would be fun to watch although i know it's crazy. Anyway, this is just a sci-fi thriller drama, fictional character, anything is possible. I would like to see who will be the new actress (when she grows up) to act for their daughter should there be a S2..:D

Share with you BBC video below reflecting the story of lion and hyenas. It is a message given by the crazy doctor (father) that he wanted ML to stay super powerful and worshiped by the followers. To stay powerful, you need to create your own clan in a new world. Interesting....

I watch this drama because of FL, she is so pretty and has a kissable lip :D.

I have so many thoughts about episode 9 and 10... but people already voiced what I am thinking so I'm just going to quote them.

9 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Just finished episodes 9-10 -

... and the wheels fell off the train...and then it went over a cliff

As for Gu Reum, she knew what Zi-O was before she got involved with him. She spent 9 months+ with him knowing that he had been experimented on, Knowing he was a suspect in his parents murder, Knowing what he was capable of if he was attacked - yet now she acts like all this is new to her? She's taking the word of those that framed her over the proven actions of a Man that's been trying to protect her from the start? Sorry, that makes absolutely no sense.

Zi-O acting like a deity in the preview :huh: 

The only reason I'm going to finish this drama is that there is only two episodes left. So sad, ... another good drama trashed in the last episodes, just like ALICE

@LeftCoastOppa I completely agree with you there, this week's episodes just went completely off the track. Most of all, I'm pissed that they completely threw away 8 episodes worth of character development for Gu Reum. 

I get that she's under emotional duress but where's her common sense? She chose to believe an evil cult and shady CIA dudes rather than give the benefit of the doubt to her own husband? 

And it's really a shame because Lee Da Hee's acting is spectacular and it makes it all the more disappointing that her character was so badly written. I hope they fix it for the two episodes that are left. 

2 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Does anyone know is there a season 2 for this drama? Reason asking is because that was named on the title, the LUCA - The Beginning.

I think a journalist asked this question at some point during the press conference. I can't recall the exact answer the Director gave... I think he said that he's not completely against it, it would all depend on the ratings but it was more or less said as a joke, so I don't think we should expect a second season :lol:

14 hours ago, kdramaddict01 said:

Yes she is definitely more affected by that but the script feels all over the place. I somehow also feel like the script is hinting that GR has been genetically engineered too (the part where it talks about the difference between the crazy scientist and her dad and it said something along the lines that her dad wanted to create humans that won't be sick so easily--which explains her incredible healing time after getting bashed so badly every time right?)

I just hope this is true so she can no longer say Zi-O is different since she is too hahahaha. And it also makes me more hopeful about what the baby is capable of.

14 hours ago, kdramaddict01 said:

I wish though that the crazy lady and crazy doctor weren’t his parents.  I’ll pretend they are not :P .  Who knows some other scientist may have switched the ovum and sperm:D

Hahaha I was wondering the same because how could those two evil heads birth such a pure soul like Zi-O. He's definitely more human than those two can ever be. Especially when he tried to save Won Yi and then the police colleague of GR.

Fingers crossed for the last two episodes and hoping that it could seal up all the plot holes seemingly surfaced in the latest two episodes.

Gureum is physically and mentally cornered.

Its clear she hurt Ji O, but that isnt what she really thinks.

She can hardly remain reasonable after what she saw and heard at that place.

I like the scene when the baby was floating in that field of electricity.

Im glad Ji O saw that too.

19 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

As for Gu Reum, she knew what Zi-O was before she got involved with him. She spent 9 months+ with him knowing that he had been experimented on, Knowing he was a suspect in his parents murder, Knowing what he was capable of if he was attacked - yet now she acts like all this is new to her? She's taking the word of those that framed her over the proven actions of a Man that's been trying to protect her from the start? Sorry, that makes absolutely no sens

Actually  that the reason why we all not getting  or accepting  ep 9 to 10 events  

If she was clueless from the start,  we can understand  but the fact that the writer  made her so shocked  and not accepted  is not fitting  with her was knowing or suspect  everything  from the start 

If she just believes  them  or not trusting  zi o enough  we wouldn't  be saying it crazy what going on.  but the fact she know what he  himself didn't  even know about his father was mostly  making research  on mixing different  gene, the fact that in his DNA there was different  animals  DNA  and the fact that she herself was worry when she was pregnant  about what the  prof  said about how dangerous for zi o to get marry and give birth to kids 

All that she know, even zi o didn't  know and she never  even tell him about his DNA results or his father true, and she choices  herself  to love and take the risk of giving birth to his child , she chose to say he not monster  but making her now so shocked  and so not accepting  what she was 90% sure of and known , that what not fitting  here :rage:

Really I suspect  she believes  about her parents  since that crazy thoughts  never leave her , but the way she so not accepting  him as monster  cause his gene  is not fitting  at all  ( some logic  here please ) 

My explanation  to this crazy 

To make it simple  or logic  as much as I can with this crazy events, let say Gr  never was really easy or accepting  to zi o. The one who fall in love with him wasnt the real and normal GR , she was carried  by her emotional  and want to run from the reality  and live with him the dream life where she forget  she was a murderer  suspect and her life was destroyed  and that man is different   ( as we saw she just run away as he offered her himself  let forget  about the world and live here in the view  of reality  that we choice) 

But what making her crazy now is not the facts that  she know or believe.   it the reality  that she had to face again, they force her to back to real life when all her doubts and logic  come back , and what she cant forgive not zi o but herself , that now she facing the results  of her selfish  run away life by making her own child live like this to be the sin of the humanity or the one that will destroy  the ecological system 

Now she hating  herself  for what she did when she know all that , that she selfish  help something that should never  happen

Now she pushing  zi o out , but the true she hating herself and not forgiving herself, the normal GR  in real life can't accept  the dreamer  GR  for what she did and caused  in that one dream year of her life

Zi o just someone  to blame here so she dont  go crazy

As I said I am giving them chances  till next week to even make my hard trying logic  explaining is wrong , by the end they better  respect their characters before respect  the viewers  I hate when they destroy what  they build  so good just to make this kind go crazy and wild as they think it what this genre  of story should do ( no you wrong you destroy  many good dramas till now) 

Thoughts after 9 and 10:

What a bloody mess! AND TWO SOLID EPISODES WITH ZERO COMIC RELIEF, unless some religious fanatics waiving their arms and worshipping before a creepy unappealling beeswitch is considered funny.

I felt after episode 8 that this whole problem would not have happened if GR did not use that hospital room phone to rashly call the police dept to find out about her parents found in the car.  What was her rush? She must know these investigations take time and she had to know as an experienced investigator that her call would be traced.  She jeapordized herself and her baby and of course her husband. That opened the flood gates. And it made no sense!

After being intimate with JiO for so long, she is too quickly manipulated to believe he would kill her parents. Especially accepting the words of viscious criminals who she knows are intent on killing her husband and framed her for murder. I mean c'mon, get real!  Yet, it is possible she could be going through postpartum depression, a time when some women have exaggerated emotional responses and fears. ... but that is stretching it.

I dispair that the end will not be good after the writer has killed off so many characters in a blink of an eye. What really irked me,  was that the agonizing death scene that ended episode 9 was then REPEATED for us to watch again at the beginning of episode 10.  It was sadistic.   I do think the writer has a sadistic streak .  Yes, the exploding angel moms scene struck me funny because of the complete absurdity of it, but let's face it, this writer has some strange thoughts.

:evillaugh:

19 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I do think the writer has a sadistic streak .  Yes, the exploding angel moms scene struck me funny because of the complete absurdity of it, but let's face it, this writer has some strange thoughts.

I agree. There is a certain quality about this show. It just really leans into the violence, and I do think it feels sadistic. (I mean, fetuses in jars. Oh, come on.)

I think the actors playing Ji-Oh and Gu-Reum are doing well grounding the show with real emotions, despite the absurd elements.

But I do agree that Gu-Reum's behavior doesn't completely make sense.

The actress playing Ji-Oh's "mom" (cult leader) is currently in a weekend drama (Homemade Love Story) playing a nice ajumma. And now, every time I see her, I'm traumatized.

Lee Son - ''Live for yourself not for me''

That its the only reasonable sentence he said. This time it was better that  Yoo Na obeyed him.

Anyway, the scene when he was holding her in his arms was emotional.

I love this scene..

EvhaSUXWYAUbRZF?format=jpg&name=large

EvhaSpjXMAAFGQE?format=jpg&name=large

TvN

Archived