[Drama 2021] L.U.C.A.: The Beginning, 루카

larus

Hi everyone  another great drama that I find yesterday  this month going to be the hardest  one for me I can't  resist  watching live so many dramas, that  something  I usually  don't but what to say so many good drama starts  and will start soon :please:

3 hours ago, reddragon said:

Ji O is human in that he gets injured and bleeds. But at the same time, he heals quickly because his altered genetic makeup are from species that are capable of repairing themselves. On the other hand, Goo Reum is like a fighting machine. She's strong. She has excellent fighting skills, but she gets injured all the same. What is surprising is that she receives blows and attacks from people with super human strengths and still can fight. She gets punched, slashed and thrown against concrete and metal objects but she does not break any bones. Sure, she bleeds, sustain wounds and scratches, but that's all. So if you're paying attention, you'll wonder if she's also a genetically altered person. She even survived the blast in her house when she startled young Ji O who was eating food out of the ref

I agree something  is off here I think also she has some genetic  change at some point maybe  not like ji  o and others in the that lap experience ,  but had some help as a child from her father behind  the lap back or they would have being wanted  to take her or get ride of her if they know 

Just like the others super agents  who's chase after ji o they had some work on them but not perfectly  like ji o  who the only one that the mixed  genes work  so perfectly  and completely on him as he survived  on his on without some regular help like others 

So I think goo reum  too had some help , her father was a research and the co-founding  of all this  madness ( sadly) with that crazy man, but he was different he wanted  to save ji  o at some point and stop all that, so that make me more suspect  that his reason  to start this research  was different  from his partner, he maybe was trying to help his daughter  who has some genetic sickness  or others like here not a military reasons  to great perfect  solider or humans being 

Anyway   let not forget that ji  o has human mind and heart but instinct and power of animals, that why even if he lose his memory  his instincts  tell him what good and bad and I think his animals  instinct  that make him cant leave or ignore goo reum ( and start to hold on her memory to not be erased) as she for him  as animal is a family or maybe even a mate his body language  in ep 3 where his body uncontrollably lean toward  her and be relaxed say  a lot ( animals  becoming crazy about protect their family or mate  and have a great instinct about them ) 

There more happened  in the past when he visit her home that she also dont remember  and the fact  that she not scaring  ji o like others humans  or others say alot how much she was craved on him in the past 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we talk about the chemistry of the two main leads? Because wow

Ep-3-fight-1-twt.gif

But overall I'm just blown away by the acting from the main cast. Even secondary characters like the nun. She completely nailed the crazy religious fanatic part. I felt really bad for poor little Ji Oh.

He didn't ask anything, he was just thrown into this world against his will. How confusing and scary it must have been for a little kid to be completely alone and lost in this situation. All he needed was some care and compassion... ㅠㅠ

Watching ep 4 

GR  sure  not completely  human  or I am going to hate the drama for making her super  human all the time without  reasons 

As child and as adult she survived  JI O electronic  when others get so much hurt or burn   cause of it and yes she healing fast compared  to normal human maybe not  as half  fast as  ji o but sure not  like normal human standard too

She can take all that she took  the past fews  days  and still standing not being hospitalized  for dangers  injure  

Maybe that why she dont know herself  or others notice  since she not as powerful as ji  o and not super fast healing like them but sure she has something  or something  not logic here   

On other side I have to admire  the  music  in this drama it totally fit the mood :heart: and I like that despite GR  double and past hate for ji o she still understand  his pain and trying to connect  with him not like other who fear and run or chase  him like lap  mouse  not as human ( he a human they make research  on human and normal baby's with mixing  the animals DNA)   

I completely  feel the main lead here his lonely, fear and suffering( all the respect to the actor)   that will only get more worse when he learn the true about himself  I cant imagine  his pain when that happened,  that why no matter  what the proupse of Science and how great it is looked in paper  there the moral reasons  that should decided  and as we all know all the country's in the world sadly  ignored  the moral line  to make progress  in Science even when they dont admit it 

The fact that there things like this existly being study and they using human and religion to hide and use people  has being unofficial  fact in so many places in the world 

And sadly fact that the research  people  who talk about doing that for the human evolution they the same people  who treat ji o as not human but a lap mouse  that it okay to kill him, to use his DNA  in research  as they admit that they dont see the things  they created  as  even human so how about him as a next step of humanity 

P.s. I dont trust the doctor that Gr know and let him test ji o I trust ji o instinct that fear him ( he maybe involved in the research but somehow  or with others people) 

I agree with you @nona88.    I also think that the guy from NFS, Oh Jong Hwan, who helps Goo Reum, is shady. It seems that he's being very kind to her because he knows that if he gains her trust, she will bring Ji O to him. He asks leading questions. And he's already prepared to get all the types of body fluids and tissues from Ji O. Everything looks legit since he's from NFS. He is a colleague of Prof. Ryu Joong Kwon, so he more or less knows what that crazy guy is doing.  He may know something about Goo Reum's parent (and checking how much Goo Reum remembers of her father and her childhood), or he's connected with Human Tech's Kim Cheol Soo, who has secret connections with the NIS, which is why he gets police intel easily. 

In Ep. 4, doubts are beginning to run in the minds of Yi Son and Yoo Na. They were both from the military's special forces. Yi Son killed 9 people when he threw a grenade instead of a flare during a regular drill exercise. Yoo Na remembered that she took blanks for their field combat exercise, but she only knew she was shooting live ammo when she's already killed five people. Thus, it seems that they were purposely selected and deliberately made to commit those crimes so they can be recruited, again with the involvement of Kim Cheol Soo.

LUCA is indeed action-packed, as there's a fight scene every episode. Almost every scene is tense. I am glad that Lee Da Hee can play the role of a Violent Crimes unit officer, with the fighting skills to match, unlike other actresses who feel that they have to look pretty and act like a bumbling police officer just because she's female. Lee Da Hee, by the way, looks good even without makeup. Kudos to her.

Spoiler

She's the opposite of the actress who plays the FL in Royal Secret Inspector, who's dressed as a male, yet was made to wear red lipstick, and shiny face. She was supposed to be a damo, who acts more like a damsel in distress most of the time. She has zero chemistry with the ML as well.

Oooff. I am really digging EP 4 where they started with those kind of science-y stuff. I just love when they try to incorporate those kind of theories that seems plausible and not just made up stuff. That was also what attracted me to watch Alice before the plot just lost it and everything feels like a convoluted mess I don't even care to pay attention and in the end stop trying to understand a single thing that happened. Which I really hope this drama would not go deep into that route. 

For now, I don't really find the NFS doctor suspicious and the way he reacted when he first discovered the Ji O's blood analysis from the hospital seems like he is completely dumbfounded and could not believe that something like that exist. I feel like his instinct as a researcher kicks in and that is why he asked Gu Reum to bring Ji O to him if it is possible. Ji O's goosebumps might be because he himself got so traumatized with doctors/researchers and we found out what he went through as a child from the flashback that in the end his instinct was to run away from what hurting him. From what I have seen, Ji O is like a child but in an adult body and he doesn't know how to process his feelings and that is why we keep seeing him bursting up whenever it gets too much for him to handle. 

I also love Yi Son and Yoo Na's interaction because it seems like the writer is not going to set them up just as thoughtless mercenaries. I have high hope for their characters to grow and fight against the crazies. :coolshades:

Hey, I see some familiar faces here from Awaken thread. Hopefully, this drama won't go down the hill Awaken went. 

I have seen the writer's previous work The Guest, so he is experienced with how to mix up two genres, in this case sci-fi and thriller. In Guest it was horror and thriller.

I appreciate how much the leads are sacrificing their looks, but still I would appreciate if they can do something about her bird's nest. Isn't Kim Rae Won's hair enough lol. 

Anyone gets Gil Young vibes from Geu Reum? LOL, I prefer Gil Young's shabby hair to Geu reum's any day. 

Though I am excited for the drama, I still can't find in me to give it an excellent rank. Anyone has any criticisms about the way it is written?

Btw, after a post in this thread I focused on Geu Reum's wounds and the one from the bus stop (Zi O breaking glass to scare her) it was still there after a night. So I am wondering if they really lost the logic there. 

I actually like how unkempt Da Hee's hair looks because with all that chasing and fighting, for her hair to look pretty is just not suitable for her character. I also love that she always tied it. I can't remember which show I watched, a Korean girl once said that to have the sleek straight hair requires a lot of work and maintenance. For Gu Reum's character, I really wish Da Hee will maintain that gruff looking plus her skin is wayyyy to flawless anyway. 

So they think he not human he was created  by mixed  genes  but if that true then why they need all the pregnant  women till now ? Why there all the freaking but poor  death baby's  on the laps ?? 

So it one of the two :

Or they bring already  pregnant  women and try to mix in their baby's before they born differents DNA  

Or they made the baby's in the woman womb , since they wanted the Luca  genes  that in every  human and they couldnt do that in  technology  lab womb, so they need it to naturally mixed together  in human body 

So medical  speaking  Luca is the orginal  DNA   that from it we had all the different  one now mixed  with different  genes or developed with different  environments ( Luca is a DNA affect or that hidden deep in our body DNA that has the ability to accept and mixing DNA together), they need that one that they cant be different  or taking from the mixed human  genes  so they trying by using the first or the second choice  to throw mixed  animals DNA  on human body on hope in one of them the Luca  gene  will be the dominant and stronger and accept the others DNA  and mixing it with itself  not reject  it 

But no Matter  if it choice one or two he  still  a human to me  even growing on women womb mean he has the DNA  of human and the character  of it, it just like how they prove  in science  that using surrogacy  for pregnancy  not allowed cause no matter who's babys gene belong  too still the DNA  of the surrogacy mother will affected the baby's   

That existly  why there crazy people  trying to do research  on living pregnancy since they know that the growing in human pregnancy  has uncontrollably and amazing variable  they cant do that on technology outside pregnancy  

I dont agree on both cases as human or in moral but i dont agree to treat people  ( yes people) who had no choice on being created  like this as monster after all they made so many trying and only zi o was successful that most mean something  about his destiny  to be born not treating  him as a body to kill and do research  on  

Side note: GR  talk about if zi o kill her parent  then he should die but what she will do if she know that her father at some point was one of the monsters  who created  zi o  or the fact that he sold him once too and  that his death was cause of that, till now he look like he had change  of mind and tried  to help zi o but that not the full image, till now there so much we dont know 

Ahhh and about the man with rotten  hand  who chase  zi o while calling him monster , sorry body he had no choice to be born like this and he only attack  to protect  himself  and to  run

but what should I call the normal human born man that kill just cause he ordered  and cause he so selfish  to choice to live without one hand when he has a healthy  body beside it, and even want to hunt zi o to take his hand since it okay he not human let use his body parts :sweating: dear that what I call a monster  on my dictionary people  who choice  to be inhuman  with full will cause a very selfish  and little reasons ( do you know how many has a disability  from birth  or at some point of their life and choice to live with it in  positive acceptance) 

It has been a very long time since I last logged in, but this drama truly intrigued me to do so.

Usually I tend to avoid sci-fic dramas. Poor CG + illogical plot-holes I have seen in most sci-fic Kdramas made me lose hope in them. The only reason I decided to tune in for this on was LDH, she is such a girl crush and what a pleasure to watch her in such fierce character.

That being said, the plot so far seems way better than my expectations. I am surprised how everything theoretically makes sense so far (unlike what happens with most other dramas of this type). Perhaps the only questionable thing like what you all mentioned is GR exceptional healing powers, which I do hope turns like some viewers predictions of her having evolved genes from her researcher parents (although I won't keep my hopes high for an explanation for this one, and given that fiery chemistry every time JO carries her I'm willing to turn a blind eye even if it just turns to be weak character writing :P)

One thing really fascinated me in episode 4 (and the reason I had to comment) is the fact that the showed us how he grew up. And no it was not your typical child escaped from lab and and we get to know he was raised in orphanage from some document papers, or someone just happened to raise him up, and somehow nobody noticed his supernatural powers so far etc... I am glad in this one they showed us the survival of a runaway child and how he used his powers in surviving with the help of his (ex) friend. It might not matter much in the overall plot, but these small details in writing gives more layers for the character and makes me appreciate the writer is not just filling the gaps with whatever.

L.U.C.A.: The Beginning: Episode 1

by selena

LUCA01-00144.jpg

For those craving a mixture of mystery and sci-fi, tVN brings us L.U.C.A. (short for “Last Universal Common Ancestor”). We’re thrown right into the weeds of things and are just as confused as our male lead who has no recollection of his past. He’s thrown back into the world he ran away from when he decides to extend a helping hand.

EPISODE 1 RECAP

LUCA01-00001.jpg

A man cradling a baby gets chased into an abandoned building with his pursuers trailing closely behind. He arrives at the top level and holds the baby out above the atrium of the ground floor. He croons sadly, “My sweet baby, don’t forget…”

Someone else narrates that he woke up with no memories and doesn’t even know his own identity. He finishes the other man’s sentence in voiceover: “…you are not a monster.” The baby is released and falls through a hole on the first floor. The child’s unnatural blue eyes spring open as bursts of lightning form a force field around him.

The powerful energy causes the building to crumble and dust rises then fades to reveal a grown man lying on the ground. He regains consciousness in what seems to be the aftermath of a brutal fight. This is our narrator, who explains that he wakes up in a strange place every time, never knowing if he’s the one chasing or being chased.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/02/l-u-c-a-the-beginning-episode-1/

Yi Son is still soldier.

He obeys orders and doesnt want his team to lose.

I was a little surprised when he saved Teo in the underground scene..

Yi Son naively believes that he will get ZOs an arm.

That was disappointing, but even worse is that  he accepted it.   

%EC%98%A4%EB%8B%A4%EB%8B%A4%EB%8B%A5.gif

https://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=30684901&memberNo=31542741

Yi Son, is he dead for good now? He is a known actor, so I expected his role to be longer. 

Oh, about her hair, I would like if she can keep it like how she tied up in the last part. When she was handing over her oven cooked phone to her senior. 

Just read that it is 12 eps only, that makes me happy because even the best of Kdramas falter a bit by 12th ep. 

Archived