[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Long Ballad 長歌行

sugarplum892

I can't seem to get over this drama, guys, I keep watching clips over and over again! 

Can we talk about our favourite scenes from the drama? As a HaoYan shipper here is my weird but ultimate favourite if I had to pick one:

When HaoDu apologised to LeYan out of the blue for using her as a bait to catch ChangGe. They were on stake out, watching for rebellious people. I loved how LeYan was simply focused on the task, while we could see HaoDu hesitating and feeling a bit tormented at first, but then blurted out "dui bu qi". That small scene was sososoososo cute, I don't know how many times I rewatched it. It just shows how LeYan is important for HaoDu at that point, and how much he wanted to make peace with her. 

Anyone also liking this scene? :blush: what would be your favourite?

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

completed this drama , rate it 6.9/10

they had enough time in the last 2 ep for a closure , no rush

but I don't like story that begin with main character's revenge against the king and the character giving up revenge as the plot goes

it's the unspoken rule amongst scriptwriters there around these few years , 90% would not succeed to bring down the king

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

I am late to this party and only up to ep 6 . I have to say this director is fabulous ...I have not skipped a single scene or conversation (i do it with raw lol) but this drama is almost over and almost fully subbed .  Very fast flowing with nice surprises, variety of characters , and likeable story .  That football  game at the beginning was a beautiful icing on the cake . 

• Like 3
  • Blob 4

15 hours ago, bomnie said:

I can't seem to get over this drama, guys, I keep watching clips over and over again! 

Can we talk about our favourite scenes from the drama? As a HaoYan shipper here is my weird but ultimate favourite if I had to pick one:

When HaoDu apologised to LeYan out of the blue for using her as a bait to catch ChangGe. They were on stake out, watching for rebellious people. I loved how LeYan was simply focused on the task, while we could see HaoDu hesitating and feeling a bit tormented at first, but then blurted out "dui bu qi". That small scene was sososoososo cute, I don't know how many times I rewatched it. It just shows how LeYan is important for HaoDu at that point, and how much he wanted to make peace with her. 

Actually all of their scenes where she gave him sass because he offended her gave me joy (why do I sound so masochistic lmao) because it hurts but it hurts in a good way. I feel that's where he underwent the most growth and I enjoy seeing him gradually change his perceptions. He definitely needed that push from Leyan.

It is actually those scenes that provide the perfect buildup to their confession in ep 42, which makes it so satisfying and emotional for me!

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

I've been reading everyones contributions for this drama, here and on the other sites where drama is shown, and I am looking forward discovering or seeing all the favourite episodes , lines and tapestry of this drama. Thank you all for being ahead of me lol and providing me with hours of entertainment on the witty and super helpful comments. :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

On 5/9/2021 at 8:10 PM, bomnie said:

What episode is that?  I'm a HaoYan shipper, but have been waiting to watch the whole thing at once when all episodes are subbed.  Of course, I watched all the raw scenes of HaoYan but I might have missed that scene.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

I enjoyed the entire series, sorry it ended.  I thought the last 2 episodes had too much going on and became a bit chaotic.    Ashile Sun and Li Changge go off and raise eagles? There still is much to explore. Hoping for a second season.

Spoiler

Suddenly killing off MiMi just seemed heavy handed, and all the emotions about it crammed in and rushed so much it left me numb.  I just didn't care for some reason, even though she was beloved by both She-er and MuJin, and of course her little brother.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

3 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I enjoyed the entire series, sorry it ended.  I thought the last 2 episodes had too much going on and became a bit chaotic.    Ashile Sun and Li Changge go off and raise eagles? There still is much to explore. Hoping for a second season.

I finished this drama yesterday and very much enjoyed it, but have to agree with the last two eps feeling rushed. 

3 hours ago, maddymappo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Suddenly killing off MiMi just seemed heavy handed, and all the emotions about it crammed in and rushed so much it left me numb.  I just didn't care for some reason, even though she was beloved by both She-er and MuJin, and of course her little brother.

My thoughts exactly. 

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

Finally finished the drama! I really appreciated the ending. I didn’t think it was too rush as it gave closure to all the side stories and the main. It was a beautiful drama! I really appreciate the humor at the end as well. :joy:

On to the next drama, “Use For My Talent” on Netflix! :love:

• Like 3

I plan on finishing this drama this weekend, and I know it's gonna hurt when it's over. However from comments I have been reading I hope they do another season of this, because where I am at it is going at a good pace. I am just waiting for the impact of it being rushed.

• Like 2

I am finishing this tonight with a mini binge of ep 41 to the end; I am on ep 47 now. Update - gonna the last two episodes tomorrow. Sleep is more important lol

Spoiler

Love the HD and LY storyline - it was adorable and their story was told well; they make such a cute couple. 

My only gripe is that is the whole Mimi sub-storyline. Her character became so annoying lol and I am sad the editors didn’t make this section of the drama a bit tighter. It was dragged out for too long especially compared to Change’s resolution and finding out the truth about her mom.

As others have said, there is a stark difference between the solid first part of the drama and this last 1/4. The pacing and plot lines are a bit messy. It isn’t terrible —- I am still watching — it is just not as gripping or interesting. 

The story is moving slow so now I am sleepy. Two more episodes to go tomorrow.

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

I liked Princesses in this drama and of course their Princess Consorts :love:  Phenomenal characters and a beautiful storyline that entertained me to the end. Bravo to the director, writer and the cast ...and yes I developed a soft spot for our HD LOL but I also fell in love with Taoist Sun healer/grandfather , he had such shine around him that I just wanted to soak his presence . 

• Blob 1

So I finished it! Overall it was an enjoyable show. Although it has gotten much much better in recent years, but C-drama overall need to do better re plot pacing, editing, and ensure quality/consistency throughout the production. Sorry it is a pet peeve that so many Cdrama starts off amazing and ends with a drastic ‘whaaat was that ending!’ Lol. I know it is a struggle since they face censors and weird timelines re production and release tho. 

Leo and Dili exceeded my expectations re their acting and chemistry. I wasn’t expecting much and didn’t know if they would work well together but they proved me wrong. It is a shame because I think if the plot was more romantic between the two, it would have been even better. Maybe in a few years, they can star in another series and do their chemistry justice lol.

They have so much potential that went under utilized lol. Change is Dili’s best character to-date for me. I can see she improved re acting... it is refreshing to see her act in a stronger character. She has been typed cast in the too cutesy or weaker roles for too long. Leo is still young but I was moved by his acting, especially when Sun lost his mother, and overall he did good to convey his maturity.

Lu Si and Yuning were both new to me and in some ways they stole the show lol. Both did excellent with their roles and acting. I will look forward to their future works too. 

Spoiler

The ending!!!! At least at the end they could have shown Change and Sun going off into world together — it was too abrupt and strange that it ended in the cartoon montage and shots of them being separated lol. Just didn’t fit it at alll lol

It should have ended when Change saved Sun and then wrapping up all the story lines. I didn’t expect Mimi to die even tho I was very annoyed at how her character was made so annoying. The battle between Mu Jin and the bad guy was good tho. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

I'm left with one more episode but I've pretty much stumbled upon the clips and spoilers so I might as well write the review now (cos can't sleep anyway lol). What a feeling of emptiness now that it has ended.

I give this a 9/10. Excellent drama in terms of story, cast, soundtrack, equally humourous and touching scenes. Lost 1 point because battle scenes and dance scene were erm unsatisfactorily in manga form and lack of kissing scenes (aha, c’mon admit it … most of us here allocate 20% of our investment for these scenes in dramas. :P)

To me, this show was satisfactory. I get where most reviewers are coming from about the rushed ending but personally, I’ve had the closures I needed for the characters that mattered to me. I think it's also because I'm not a big GeSun shipper.

There were a bit of fillers and drag in between, but nothing more than 5 episodes I would say. Still a whole lot better than many of the c-dramas out there with their fillers and misunderstanding arcs.

Just want to end this review by saying this show has one of the best soundtracks imho. When you see Zhang Bi Chen do a track you know it’s gonna be a good drama. Love the ending theme just as much too. It fits the scenes between Chang Ge and Ah Sun sooooo well. <3

Spoiler

Sharing some of my fav moments in the show:

• Chang Ge/Le Yan vs. Crown Prince
  • Closure for Uncle Shi Min
  • All the sisterly moments between Chang Ge and Le Yan
  • HAO YAN
  • Jealous Ah Sun

Unfortunately, I didn’t feel a big ship for Chang Ge and Ah Sun. They make a nice, decent couple. But it felt more like a partnership simply because Chang Ge was such a strong character. Ah Sun wasn’t the hero I quite envisioned for Chang Ge. (Personal opinion and feels).

The irony of Mimi's death - she was killed abruptly yet her death and funeral took foreverr. And yes, her character is rather annoying. I have not forgiven her since she snatched Le Yan's rabbit purse. (:

Uncle Shi Min - I completed Legend of Fei a few weeks back and his character was so crappy in LOF. I truly see his art here. Kudos to Mr. Geng Le!

Here are some of my fav scenes from the last 10 episodes before I go into Dilireba and Hao Yan withdrawals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Update: ok completed the finale as Viu only released it in MYS tonight.

I think it was a good ending for each character. :) 

Only felt cheated by the animations (again :lol:). 

For those yearning for the GeSun wedding, I hope this brings you closure.

Spoiler

spacer.png

I can accept them not having a wedding because TLB didn't start out nor strive to be a romance drama for Chang Ge. The exchange in the scene above also helped me accept that they're not going to be a lovey dovey wedding ish couple like Hao Yan. I imagine them in a horse cart just traveling the grasslands kind of thing. So yeah, I thought their ending was fitting. Plus they looked so carefree and happy. 

Special mention to this scene that had me bawling in tears.

Spoiler

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

On 5/15/2021 at 5:28 AM, Yinye said:

They have so much potential that went under utilized lol. Change is Dili’s best character to-date for me. I can see she improved re acting... it is refreshing to see her act in a stronger character. She has been typed cast in the too cutesy or weaker roles for too long. Leo is still young but I was moved by his acting, especially when Sun lost his mother, and overall he did good to convey his maturity.

I believe Dilraba didn't want to do period dramas for a while because of feeling "type cast" untill TLB came up. I liked seeing her playing a tougher character, though I wouldn't say her other characters are weaklings either- young(er) and inexperienced, yes. But as Changge she held the reigns (and paid dearly for her decisions at times.) 

The saddest part in the drama is still A Dou's sacrifise for me. :( 

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I believe Dilraba didn't want to do period dramas for a while because of feeling "type cast" untill TLB came up. I liked seeing her playing a tougher character, though I wouldn't say her other characters are weaklings either- young(er) and inexperienced, yes. But as Changge she held the reigns (and paid dearly for her decisions at times.) 

yes to Reba and being tough please! My first introduction to her was in Ten Miles and I was rather annoyed with her character there. :crazy: (I blame the character not her)

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 1