[Drama 2022-2023] Missing: The Other Side 2, 미씽: 그들이 있었다 2

0ly40

3 hours ago, youngae said:

I have some theories:

1. CYN is alive and the chairwoman's granddaughter. She might be in a deep coma.

I think they performed DNA tests for the three of them, and none of them was the chairwoman''s grandson/ granddaughter. I remember finding it weird how they killed them before having the DNA test results. (I think it was in one of last week's episodes.)

• Like 5

17 hours ago, youngae said:

Maybe LJA is also dead. Only reason I think so is the older cop didn't acknowledge her presence in  Episode 5 when he arrested the man who conned HJH and at the meal afterwards.

the PC Room and the con artist saw her. 

BTW.. the writers are really hinting the viewers that LJA might be HJH's daughter. Having them always together and making them do tasks together. It's like they want them to get to know each other better before the big reveal.  

• Like 4

The threads begin to slowly come together in Eps 5 and 6, tying seemingly unrelated cases - cold and present - all back to Choiseung Construction. True to form, it continues to deliver in every aspect, making me laugh, hurt and cry while revealing more and more pieces of the puzzle, affirming again why this drama has carved an indelible place in my heart.

Rather than the case of the week, in this case banishing Woo Il Suk from Duon village, the focus is very much on the respective journeys of each character, leaving me aching for them so much. KW finally coming face to face with the mother he has missed for 27 years, but unwilling to reveal himself to her just yet... needing to know why she left and never came back. Confirming when she died, knowing that it was not long after she left, but unable to accept the fact that they, who desperately missed each other for so many years, would still fail to recognise each other when they finally met. There is such sadness and longing in the way he looks at her that breaks my heart, and Go Soo nails KW's myriad of emotions as he finally touches the beginning of his closure. I wonder if he resents a little, that his mother has a family of her own in this halfway place, a husband and a son, and by all intents and purposes appear to be happy and fulfilled, while he is left to wait for her return in vain? More than that, would KW choose to find his mother's remains, which means a second, permanent separation, or would he choose for her to stay in Duon, where he could see her for always. Questions...

"It is hard. I did not do this because I enjoyed it. However, if I don't, my Hyun Ji... The people in this village feel like my Hyun Ji to me. My Hyun Ji is surely waiting for me... waiting for me to find her." JPS' raw confession brings me to tears yet again, as we realise what keeps him going, why he feels such a burden, such empathy for the souls in Duon, stemming from his own personal loss. We see how his long lonely quest has made him a familiar face in the Missing Persons Squad, his vulnerability making him an easy mark, and I hope, hope that he will at last be reunited with his Hyun Ji. Hence, I understand the resentment as he railed at the injustice that even KW has found the one he lost, when he is still no closer to the child he has been searching for. I do not know yet whether LJA would turn out to be his child after all, but that might be all too convenient. It is clear that they already share a bond, and what I would like, even if she isn't Hyun Ji, is that she becomes a daughter-like figure to this lonely bereaved man, bringing long-overdue warmth into his life.

SJH's desperation to find the fiancée he fears is dead is mirrored in CYN's frantic attempts to return to him in time for their wedding day, culminating in the fateful moment she sees him from the hot air balloon, crying out futilely to him who could neither see nor hear her. What makes it doubly poignant is the kindness she finds in the midst of her grief - the rocking chair prepared for her to await the opening of the gate that she hopes would bring her back to the one she loves; the hot air balloon that gave her a glimpse of the man she desperately wants to return to. This from a man who has waited in limbo for 100 years, still undiscovered, as he sees souls come and go. Will we too finally see him be able to move on in the end? I really hope so.

Plot wise, we see more and more hints that CYN might very well be the granddaughter Chairman Heo is looking for - the fact that Chairman Heo's daughter, KSH was staying in a convent when she was pregnant, and CYN's birth being registered by a nun. As for her mismatched DNA with Chairman Heo, it is possible that her mother was adopted as well. KW's mother did not appear to know Detective Park before they arrived at Duon village, so it is likely their deaths are unrelated. She could have been witness to KSH's possible murder staged as an accident, while he was targeted because he was investigating Choiseung Construction's corrupt dealings. As for the shady mastermind, my current money is on the shifty secretary, though it is more a gut feeling with no concrete evidence to back it up yet. Meanwhile in Duon, the flashing lights trigger child-like Beom Soo's recitation of a string of numbers. Is he somehow also involved in the mystery behind Choiseung Construction related deaths? Or is his yet another separate soul of the week case to be solved? 

This week, the alternate meaning of the title is punctuated throughout the narrative, which breaks my heart again and again. Just as it deals with souls of those whose bodies are still missing, waiting to be found, it now takes on a whole new perspective - missing loved ones who are inexplicably taken from one's life with no closure in sight... and missing those whom there is no known hope of them ever hearing one's voice, seeing one's face. That one sided interaction is devastatingly portrayed over and over, making their fates all the more tragic, the need to grant them closure all the more urgent.

The two scenes at opposing ends of the spectrum, the former, complete with its Goblin soundtrack, the perfect fodder to the devastation of the latter. 

b-ueiW5YD6oIbe2HpTaTjwgvVbdCK29ORyuuXP-ZkHPT4PMwyUkYBP89CwKZrcpMnU8sN7NTLz5spmQUL7aXepQgpTH2OSeX0ZVjEoTX6z0BmjyfFkb370wJXkm2Vsuflq1lcBZaZWpWEas3UUSCqth0__4tScL3oWcKkyRBkjAPedbY_NDRKskmqLDd_S-5OWzNjZB9SnJmACCE3fYkvMRVBvu9feWsYdrtg2nawCt-7JQEO_8Z69vf73_o2HhJL7EOc4_Ouqj19QLcDHRmvcjEK9vyWPHBOp4EAPEUNz9td79QPywkCTqvLFOwt4BltXjyBAqCOFPt4g_ed8MojUAyIsHAJP9Z8Oq8sa2zy3uGxUqJ_Cyl3JZKxmB2tJO9ggfcstWx1bXjCRcMOz0amMz3yia472_5wlx4Qmxlr5Ke2fwEkt57-9Lnjk5vVr7RhDrNkpEG-O4x2V6lHmeN-ddpfaqEC7zWpm1Aa79bstJwD2M2sz4lv10xC5n-iXViEQbsBypR-mlLHoXt9A1K56-e_Odv4uOm4Mm22NQ3ARrSriZMO_x2-Td3_u65EwWkPHKbLPttgZy2irb4vWtRVnOnr5YA6WoDDMNGvlc0N0VeB3piT_CAbBcVozckQ4u1F1ik26XCM3_rztYd_Q43ovE_HG5ogf4HyGUHk4D-acSkbwGo-I7O95zged3Xcg=w626-h296-no?authuser=3ZFTzssNyaaTDAY_rk8dD5H3CZvekWNfeL70jsyHS8RIMM9xlhHS26F-xevYgSSCLKuuAajpHFLLCT73Z-R0xKHRuTdUE_FaL9GP09VYSdtUMYBzo2l1a4XnwVtXTbD7facldBYVR7bDAdWgZMPs5QZ6JNL2_K6kKnDtint8ZPNmrHfglUZEChvdpUO3bHYTO1hYC6qrHwOayUx0n2IL8zhWUUfEbRKl1NjqzntKvS3Rzke7lc6AXBUahfWuB0CHWL0uL5BsMOGBP_HBRa6aJCf0arqZ7de8o39hQF11Zs-EcfmicAWPyVc6WCku3woC_zDmB6uPeKvwSxxaVvtt4_7m5Hf_QC6mXDztmTuJtYIwQyyRqNFnHpb-_D-xzwYdNRC5iKgk_4O2zVjZGcCa0cRva_RkAmRRwcjUAoISbny-wzq3QrIoPNRdlyEjrvY9fRwrBhkwd1mqjc--UCQu0MDe0OQE6scJ35xpftBWyaBf-t3zqwDmCUeNQTiWKM-cQ6QMrsQf5Ku2saqgCjzMleluvzhPCYnI-nGl2T17653j6zRa9Vymb_3kH5vEZe4umGxx-xTIr112Z5wPIBh3jIRrO1yw4Hq_s-UetzBeSkqcBnv_i7AR6ZFe52F1cLeW6XgC-ICE0RMJlqXisbuhkiT6mGgaoOlydXpTl8P1b5ITfFjElGnnTd2DeN7HhYw=w626-h296-no?authuser=3

• Like 4

Okay, despite on so many complicated the villagers past, I'm more curious of Thomas cases. Turned out that he is a century years old?? I mean if he's that old, it would be impossible to find his body isn't? Giving it the fact that he might never leave the village for... ever? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am thinking that Kim Wook is the grandson of Han Yeo Hee, cause his mom always mentions an "aunt-something" who is the daughter of the chairwoman. That is why all the three who died did not match the chairwoman's DNA. It could be that Wook's mom took care of the baby, and she was eliminated by the power-hungry people at Choiseung Construction. Detective Park was killed because he came close to the truth, and maybe Beom Soo witnessed that, so he was eliminated as well. The number he recited, which seems to be a plate number, will be vital later.

Many of the stories are tied up to Choiseung Construction.

On the other hand, it is probable that Pan Seok's daughter is not yet dead but he came to the village, just like Wook, to help the souls in limbo find their closure.

Could it be that Yeo Na is fighting for her life somewhere or comatose, and her soul is wandering, that is why she ends up at Duon Village, where she waits for her body to be found and given medical attention?

The writer of this drama tells the story clearly and the cast delivers. I hope Thomas will have closure as well. He'll probably be the last soul who will leave the village.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

I have a new theory! Forget the other one.

SJH is the grandson of the chairwoman!

What got me thinking is the necklace he gifted to CYN. He said his mom gave it to him when he was young. That necklace even though small looks hella expensive. I know she was a director of the orphanage. But, I don't think they make that kind of money. Why would she gift a necklace to a  child? Why was so against him marrying CYN? I haven't thought why yet?

The car plate number could by the car plate that took CYN that beom soo remembers.

If SJH ships sinks I am shipping CYN and Thomas they have real good chemistry together. I think he might have a crush on her.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I think KW is the grandson. Why? Because so far, there isn't much remarkable in his role other than he was abandoned by his mom and he can see dead people. He is the lead actor remember? but so far, his role can be considered as the same as pan seok who is looking for his daughter and can also see dead people. it would be safe to say that as the lead, he deserves to be the heir/grandson and in the center of it all.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, joccu said:

i think beom soo remember´s car plate number. Maybe he was hit buy a car.  

wook found his mom. So sad. this weeks episode had so many sad scenes. But luckily it also had some funny scenes. 

I thought he remembered a phone number, as it was a 7 digits number (without the area code). For a ***-**** combination, the car should be a passenger vehicle. I was actually wondering if he could be the chairwoman's grandchild, as they have once mentioned that her daughter was crazy (we do not know what they meant by that, but I do not remember regular ajummas/ ajeossis being very specific when it comes to mental health). 

• Like 3

On 9/15/2020 at 6:42 AM, Hannahmiriam said:

I thought he remembered a phone number, as it was a 7 digits number (without the area code). For a ***-**** combination, the car should be a passenger vehicle. I was actually wondering if he could be the chairwoman's grandchild, as they have once mentioned that her daughter was crazy (we do not know what they meant by that, but I do not remember regular ajummas/ ajeossis being very specific when it comes to mental health). 

chairwomans's daughter may not be crazy. she might has been portrayed by people who wanted to eliminate her. again being her crazy doesn't mean that the child will inherit it. she wasn't crazy by birth. it's not genetic. so no way that challenged kid is grand son. i keep repeating YN is the grand daughter. she is sure alive somewhere in coma. 

everyone's story is connected to chairwoman's heir. it all ends when they find YN. no doubt

• Like 3

On 9/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, kboramint said:

the PC Room and the con artist saw her. 

BTW.. the writers are really hinting the viewers that LJA might be HJH's daughter. Having them always together and making them do tasks together. It's like they want them to get to know each other better before the big reveal.  

Im getting back to this show after a break, so who are these two? I don’t recall an older woman and younger woman pair.

is Thomas from another, older era? If so, why is he blonde?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tulip06 said:

Im getting back to this show after a break, so who are these two? I don’t recall an older woman and younger woman pair.

is Thomas from another, older era? If so, why is he blonde?

HJH is the older man that is looking for her daughter. LJA is a character that runs the pawn shop and is played by Wonder Girls' Sohee.  

I don't know what era Thomas is from.  

• Like 2

@tulip06  Regarding what era Thomas is from.  I sometimes wonder if he's wearing the wardrobe from Little House on The Prairie, tv series. Specifically, Charles Ingalls wardrobe. Mr. Ingalls is a jack of all trades; farmer, mill worker, carpenter. Story is set in the late 1800's. So Thomas is way over 100 yrs old. And I'm pretty sure the old guy jokingly mentioned that Thomas is 100 years old.  In ep.6, they show him pull out a photo with his comrades. He was in some kind of moment. That's probably where he got killed. The blonde hair - there might be a reason, but I think that's just the actors' preference. 

• Love 1

Thomas was probably one of the independence fighters. Judging from the early version of the Korean flag, the dressing in the photo, and how he spoke about the absence of 'peace' in his era, he might have been murdered by a traitor or Japanese occupiers which explains why his body has never been found.

I googled "Korean independence fighter Ahn".And I found this : 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Jung-geun

Many thanks to 1N2D which covered his story years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1