[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

@annamchoi isn't the preview always misleading ? LoL

I think if they were deliberately making it confusing, the possible order would be..

1.SA confronting JY about the taxi ride with JK

2. The conversation with Prof Duster, Team leader Cha , and JK's grandmother

3.Grandmother asks JY to stay with JK even though he is seeing someone else and Prof Duster saying they make a great couple and implying they may get married

4. JY says something for which Grandmother says I'm sorry I didn't understand your feelings

5. JK telling her grandmother she is going to meet JY . I think the grandmother may say something to dissuade her and JK tells her JY playing the piano was her comfort through the years..

6. JY telling JK let's not meet again.. honestly the lighting in the cafe makes it harder to place..

But then again it's probably wrong..

We only have to wait for a day now though..

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 3

Spoilers from DC gallery:

This one looks ambiguous:

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=brahms&no=27203&_rk=tDL&page=1

This one bodes well???

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=brahms&no=27194&_rk=96k&page=1

Using spoiler for the poster's caption in case some don't want to be spoiled:

Spoiler

Google translate (please bear with translation errors):

"The scene where Jun-young waits outside and comes out of Kyunghoo building.
As soon as they come out, open arms and hug each other.
Song-a even wears boots, so I think it's winter, but Jun-young's white shirt and backpack seem to be the current point in the play.
It is a scene that looks happy and warm!"

• Love 2
  • Thanks 13

1 hour ago, Sky8lue said:

Spoilers from DC gallery:

This one looks ambiguous:

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=brahms&no=27203&_rk=tDL&page=1

This one bodes well???

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=brahms&no=27194&_rk=96k&page=1

Using spoiler for the poster's caption in case some don't want to be spoiled:

Reveal hidden contents

Google translate (please bear with translation errors):

"The scene where Jun-young waits outside and comes out of Kyunghoo building.
As soon as they come out, open arms and hug each other.
Song-a even wears boots, so I think it's winter, but Jun-young's white shirt and backpack seem to be the current point in the play.
It is a scene that looks happy and warm!"

The highlighted DC post has been deleted, so sorry to those who can no longer view it. But the caption under spoiler is descriptive. Hope this brings hope to all the anxious viewers!

@Jillia @rafeusjanela  DC is exploding now, though they are trying to avoid spoilers even in their comments. Everyone is on the same ship LOL.

Spoiler

I can't recall whether SA was carrying her white violin case in the deleted post now. Did you download it by any chance? Thinking that would help us guess how far in the future this scene belongs to (and whether it's post-graduation), though JY is still carrying his trademark black backpack as mentioned in the DC post's caption. Though this scene probably won't be in tomorrow's episode since it was only caught on camera today.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

@Sky8lue     Thank you for sharing those filming photos :D 

Spoiler

Looks like there gonna be some distance in their relationship, but from the wall video it looks like they still care for each other very much. So guess they gonna come out stronger in the end. :D  really looking forward to the hug scene. seems like after they have settle their own internal problems they gonna be even more free with each other. :wub: 

• Like 5
  • Love 7

@Abirami Ramakrishnan yes!! previews are always misleading..they do always toy with our hearts. 

@Ameera Ali indeed our otp are the cutest! :wub: comfortable with each other off cam , bickering joking talking as if they are best friends make their on screen chemistry awesome..❤

@Sky8lue thank you for the spoilers! Really looking forward to the hug scene! Excited.

• Like 4
  • Love 8

5 hours ago, Abirami Ramakrishnan said:

@annamchoi isn't the preview always misleading ? LoL

I think if they were deliberately making it confusing, the possible order would be..

1.SA confronting JY about the taxi ride with JK

2. The conversation with Prof Duster, Team leader Cha , and JK's grandmother

3.Grandmother asks JY to stay with JK even though he is seeing someone else and Prof Duster saying they make a great couple and implying they may get married

4. JY says something for which Grandmother says I'm sorry I didn't understand your feelings

5. JK telling her grandmother she is going to meet JY . I think the grandmother may say something to dissuade her and JK tells her JY playing the piano was her comfort through the years..

6. JY telling JK let's not meet again.. honestly the lighting in the cafe makes it harder to place..

But then again it's probably wrong..

We only have to wait for a day now though..

You are so right..They're almost always misleading. Most of the time the dialogue doesn't match with the people or place so things that appear to be said to someone at certain time or place usually incorrect. I guess that's what keeps us interested though...trying to solve the mystery lol

8 hours ago, Sneha said:

Oh my the new stills actually have me nervous and excited all at the same time. 

@Dana T Yes, he should have done it sooner! However, I do remember he said he would help her as pianist PJY not her friend which is why we got the scene between Miss Entitled and her grandmother... uh you need to pay him. Problem is he drew a line, but it wasn't enough since Ms. Entitled is still pining for him and SA is very insecure. She thinks this could be a means to get him back...  JY values his friendship with HH to higher degree than JK.  Lastly, I think the author is trying to show that everybody is simply putting a band-aid on their problems which is why the repetition and frustrating episodes. Ep.12 was to give characters a much need shake-up (painful but needed). Lastly, change is not linear we improve and then go back to the same thing. The point is to keep trying...

You are right he did try to make a distinction but I'm sure it's still awkward for him if nothing else out of guilt. But also like you said it's JK and SA that seem to be the most affected by it at the moment. Just too soon too much hurt to try and share such close space and time with her at this point

• Like 10
  • Love 1

On 10/10/2020 at 3:51 PM, sal2 said:

Whoa an in depth discussion about episode 12 with our dramas director. :D  sadly no english sub. 

Providing some not-so-accurate translation of the context:joy: Please feel free to correct me if you find any mistakes. I've skipped some parts that I think is insignificant or if I couldn't understand the context and I'm hiding the text as it is quite long

They are eating sweet potatoes and drinking soft drink in the video (to accompany the frustrating moments in the show XD). For people who are curious about the meaning behind the act: http://koreanforinternauts.blogspot.com/2017/05/when-someone-just-doesnt-get-it-and.html

Spoiler

=====

#01 JY who walks SA home

SA and JY are in the process of getting closer to each other: knowing where each other lives, meeting the parents etc. (They are guessing SA is staying close to Seoul Arts Center which is about 30 mins walk from the station.)
The importance of the umbrella as a sign of caring for JY - JY grew up in an environment lacking love (from family and friends). Hence the gift from JK (handkerchief) and SA (umbrella) signifies love for JY hence its difficult for him to throw them away.
Gift is from the point that they paid a lot of attention to the receiver. So for JY, the umbrella is meaningful for him as it also represents caring thoughts of SA for JY.

=====

#04 JK's giving lesson

Little teacher - Sometimes when the skill level difference between the professor and a new student is too big (hence making the teaching challenging), the professor will let his/her most trusted student to be the little teacher for the person (as there is less level difference between them)
The show might have given the viewer a wrong impression on musical university as most of the professors were portrayed to be evil. It's not like the evil professors don't exist but there are also many nice professors in the real world. This is true for any field where people who wants to gain power exists (eg: medical university). They wanted to emphasize that the 

On the issue of parents pressuring their kids (Just like how Ji Won was pressurized by her mum)Parents living in Gangnam (the rich area of Seoul) can pay tuition fee around $30,000 per month for their high school kids.
They wanted to raise the question on if the parents actually live a happy life themselves? Perhaps the parents are just forcing their misconception of happiness on their kids (Good food, nice house, nice job etc). It feels like they are trying to prove their belief through their kids (JK mum is one example) without questioning themselves if they are truly happy living through that life themselves. (They also elevated that the problem is a national educational issue to as the suicide rate of high school students in SK is quite high). Ji Won likes violin very much but cant help to feel miserable wwhile playing it due to the pressure from her mum.
On the scene where JK find out about Ji Won's situation and decided to help her. The motive of the scene is probably to create obstacle for JK to become the professor of Seoryeong. (They also commented that in that case HH should get the position XD)

=====
#05 JY and SA scene on piano accompanist

SA's feeling of inferiority is making her sensitive on very little thing (Hence her reaction when JY mentioned that he is playing the same song for JK.) but JY must be hurt as he's also stress with so many things going on but SA had to bring the issue on accompanist onto JK's issue. 

They made a joke from the raining scene: The word 'rain' (비) in Korean sounds similar to 'debt' (빚) so they made a comment on since JY said "Don't worry about the rain" to SA, maybe SA will say "Don't worry about the debt" to JY (16:30 - 16:42)

=====

#06 JY's family debt

Most people must be thinking - if it gets this bad, shouldn't he just leave (throw away) the parents? (They said they probably would have left the parents XD) They wanted to see what JY's dad looks like (Yes me too). They cant relate with the action of JY's mum either as she keeps putting the pressure on her son who is yet to have financial freedom

But if thinking about the society as a whole, there're probably a lot of terrible parents out there. Getting a divorce and the children leaving the parents are probably normal in this kind of situation. But perhaps there are also people who are willing to help their parents considering their kinship. (Like JY)
A lot of talented kids have their advantages taken by their parents (They gave examples of musicians like Mozart, Beethoven, and Clara who had their parents leeching on their talents).
Although they are mad about the scene in the show, they commented on it is possible to find cases which are worst than this in the real world.

=====

#07 SA's SRUPO friend who met a new boyfriend

One of the commenter commented on how quick SA's friend switches from one to another boyfriend. The discussion surrounds on describing relationship as the taste of food - as we age, we grow to like more complex taste (eg: wine, coffee etc) (relationship with all complex feelings) but there're people who grow up enjoying only the sweet taste even as adult (only sweet feelings in a relationship).

=====

#09 Prof. Lee in JY and SA's relationship

The commenters are against the idea of JY being SA's accompanist as that will raise a lot of potential problems in their relationship. Even Schumann and Clara can be jealous of each other achievements as a married couple.

=====

# 11 SA's dream which is at stake

They think SA can overcome her hurdles with violin and JY with love

=====

# 12 The piano key without voice

The one piano key that cannot make a voice might be signifying JY has something that he needs to solve before he proceeds with other things in life - just like you need to fix the key before performing with the piano again

=====

# 14 SJ meeting SA

They said to SJ that JK and SA relationship its none of his business (LOL)

=====

# 15 SA witnessing JY and JK

About the coincidence, they commented if HanNam-Dong is that small for that coincidence to happen.
They think that what makes the viewers frustrated is that the writer has put all the burdens she can on JY (making him almost an unrealistic character)and also keep putting SA under constant pressure too. 

But frustration aside, it made the commentor think about what do the things we love and our life mean to us. He got the idea from the vaccine news and thinking that we also need 'vaccine' to help us to get through the difficult and bitter time in life (Just like how vaccine is used to prepare us for the disease). However, the dosage of the vaccine needs to be appropriate else it might either be insufficient for fighting the disease or death due to overdose. The characters do seems to be overdose with the 'vaccine' of life at the moment. If we could just keep the focus on how the characters could manage those difficult situations and relate it to how we would face similar situations in life, we could just relax and see how the writer would solve the rest of the story. The commentor think SA might be a reflection of the writer herself - in that she might have experienced similar situations as SA in her life before directly or indirectly. So whether if she could gain her victory as SA is also an interesting viewing point.

On making predictions on the drama, they think if they making predictions to the drama will not be interesting to the viewer (and might just made some people angry or sad if the predictions ended up being inaccurate)

The ending words:
"Sometimes when we face extremely difficult situations, if we have trust that it's bearable, perhaps we would be able to endure it"

Edited by Yq Tan
Correction for some translation
  • Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 8

@Yq Tan Thank you so much for translating the Director's interview! Even though it was focused on episode 12, it's insightful to hear from the Director directly about how he wanted to portray the societal issues, music industry politics, parent-child relationship, family problems, love and friendship in the drama.

The Director's ending words are uplifting (quoting your translation below):

"Sometimes when we face extremely difficult situations, if we have trust that it's bearable, perhaps we would be able to endure it."

p.s. I hope we don't have to eat too many sweet potatoes and drink too many cans of carbonated drinks tomorrow. Fingers crossed and sealed with a pinky promise:

img.gif

Gif source: https://twitter.com/star___heart/status/1312314910974468096?s=20

• Like 4
  • Love 10

@Yq Tan Thank you so much for providing translations to the episode. Their insight is also interesting to understand. I am thinking once all the episodes air I am going to be doing rewatch. I want to analyze everything and understand the show better.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

@Jillia @annamchoi @vangsweetie637, @celebrianna

for someone who complains about repairing the broken piano . His actions are unbelievable  :mrgreen: 

That's probably why he is so keen on 'practicing' together with Song Ah .. He really just wants to play the piano well :tounge_wink:

• Like 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

12 minutes ago, Abirami Ramakrishnan said:

That's probably why he is so keen on 'practicing' together with Song Ah .. He really just wants to play the piano well :tounge_wink:

they may break all pianos but 

At least they wouldn’t criticize by teacher with lack of passion :tounge_wink:

16024347231602434718.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 14