[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

52 minutes ago, Jillia said:

we can't be sure if Jung Kyung's advice really improved Song Ah's way to play.

Jung-kyung played like how she taught Song-ah - energetic and with conviction, leading the music but not letting the music control her. A graduate of Juilliard can't be too shabby, even if she supposedly doesn't have quite the same level of talent as Joon-young. You can tell Jung-kyung really wants the teaching position and is working hard to get it. That is not what we can say of Song-ah at this point in time.

Song-ah needing a good support system has been mentioned, and I fully agree. However, more importantly, she needs to find within herself the motivation and passion to press on when the going gets tough. A good support system can only take you so far. Ten episodes in, and I still don't understand what it is she loves about the violin, and whether she finds joy in playing it or the music it produces.

• Like 10

@vangsweetie637 Ahhhhh I had started episode 10 and then if you can believe it, my Viki stopped loading. So I will have to go to sleep and try again later.. no kicking butts YET. 

My one main thought though of what I did see-  I’m not sure if people have said this before but objectively it’s a bit of a shame that SA and DY did not work out timing wise. I think they would actually make a sweet couple if JY wasn’t part of the equation. Plus I’m not super attached to MS. She always struck me as very selfish type of friend.. always only wanting to talk more about her problems and feelings over SAs. Although i haven’t watched it yet, I did hear about the handkerchief scene... if JY doesn’t throw that out, I may have to start shipping DY with SA instead, ha!!! :fear: Ok prayers I don’t have problems watching later so I can fully react~

• Like 8

Do You Like Brahms: Episodes 9-10 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Brahms0910_1.jpg

Our new couple might be sweeter and meltier than an ice cream cone, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have some mountains to climb, too. Relationships and careers are complicated, and this week, for all their giddiness, our leads also have to face the music — quite literally, at times.

EPISODES 9-10 WEECAP

Brahms0910_2.jpg

Sometimes a week feels like too long to wait for this show — and then we’re gifted with the adorability that is our couple swooning for each other, and organizing their days so they can meet up as much as possible. Even though they’re beyond cute, it’s their intentionality and honest attempts to communicate and become closer that I find the most squee-worthy. And indeed, honesty (and later, confidence) are our themes this week.

Being attached at the hip on campus only makes Joon-young and Song-ah’s dating rumor louder. But this time, it’s true, and I love Joon-young’s readiness to confirm it (or announce it) to whoever’s asking. His happiness in their relationship is more than evident, but there’s another bonus to the transparency and openness of his behavior: there’s no room for misunderstandings.

Brahms0910_4A.jpgBrahms0910_4B.jpg

In fact, this might just be my favorite thing about Joon-young (okay, in addition to that huge smile when he’s giddy and shy) — he always tries to put things in the open. He did it last week, explaining to Song-ah that he was going to accompany Jung-kyung, and this week, he does it by confirming their dating status on campus, by making sure Young-in knows that he and Song-ah are in a relationship now, and above all, by being completely clear with Jung-kyung herself.

This clarity is so refreshing — both for our characters and for our drama as well. For instance, during the scene when Song-ah and Dong-yoon are talking about their relationship, and Song-ah admits her long-term crush on him within the hearing of Min-sung, who else was expecting a three-pronged disaster? I feel conditioned by dramas to expect misunderstandings and communication snafus.

Instead, thanks to their communication skills, Joon-young and Song-ah were already on the same page, and already understood each other and their past entanglements. And so, instead of them clashing over this encounter, Joon-young was able to comfort her. And boy, was it cute.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/09/do-you-like-brahms-episodes-9-10-open-thread/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Read the dramabeans open thread for episode 9 and 10, and found this very insightful comment by fullmoon (see comment section! Not my words, all credit goes to fullmoon). Just wanted to share it here because it was too good to pass up.

"Rewatching episode 10 again, I found Song Ah's visit to Joon Young's home a reflection of where each of them are at right now with regard to their relationship. JY's home is a big metaphor for his internal world, which SA wishes to discover and be a part of.

SA asks to visit, remembering that Jung Kyung had already done so. JY is pleasantly surprised and excited, and wants to leave a good impression by tidying up - JY only wants to show SA his good sides. SA comments on how the Kyunghoo building can be seen so clearly from his window and that it must be too bright at night, to which JY resignedly says yes - the foundation has weighed down on him his whole life and he could never escape it.

A cup drops and its pieces are strewn all over the floor. SA rushes to help him because she's scared his hands would get hurt - SA wants to embrace his past trauma and pain and comfort him. She finds JK's handkerchief in the process - JY's friendship with JK (and Hyun Ho) is still very much part of his life (understandably), though it doesn't take centre stage anymore.

SA tells JY to stand back and let her clean the broken shards because she views his hands as more precious than her own, but JY takes the wet wipes from her and insists on doing it on his own; she's a violinst and she might get hurt too - JY is used to dealing with problems on his own, because he doesn't want people he loves to get hurt. But SA is saddened by this, and further doubts her role in his life. She says it's late and that she's leaving, but rain pours. She asks JY for an umbrella - her exit from his internal world makes it rain in hers, but she reaches out to JY to shield and protect her."

• Like 11
  • Insightful 4

DYLB OST Part 10: 노래해요 그대 듣도록/Sing So You Can Hear

(English Title: "Love Song")

Like the scattering wind

I hope your sadness disappears

Just like so many seasons have passed

Until the flowers of the field bloomed

I’m singing so you can hear

Everyone I love is right here

Let’s keep dreaming

Because even in this harsh and cold world

There is a way

You can’t avoid the rain

But it’ll stop some day

Close your eyes and listen to the sounds of the world

Because you’re not alone

I’m singing so you can hear

Everyone I love is right here

Let’s keep dreaming

Because even in this harsh and cold world

There is a way

Even with an unstable future (now once again)

Let’s not worry

Wherever you are, remember this

There is a way

There is a way...

@vangsweetie637 The official drama OST MV has not been released, but this is from Gummy's official channel: 

I love most of the songs in the drama OST line-up, but this latest one stole my heart the moment I heard it for the first time. Based on the lyrics, the song are words of comfort for someone going through a difficult time, to remind them that they are loved and not alone in this cold and harsh world. JY is one pictured in the OST title track design, but I think the song can be appreciated from both JY's and SA's perspectives. Since the main theme of the second half of DYLB is growth, I hope we get to see JY and SA learning how to lean on and comforting each other. 

@gracebkk  I had the exact same thought about that abrupt ending to the "Can you lend me an umbrella?" scene at JY's apartment. It feels like some scenes got chopped due to time constraints. PEB mentioned in the latest BTS that there are many deleted scenes, so I wonder if this could be one of them?

Like some of you in this thread, I hope the drama shifts the focus to their pursuit of music and dreams now that the love triangles are out of the way (all secrets have been revealed and the broken shards of friendship strewn everywhere...there is more than enough melodrama for a story about people pursuing music). Honestly all I want is for JY-SA to weather the storms together.

My fervent wish (echoing SA's father who deserves more screen time in the DYLB universe filled with too many frustrating characters):

“I’m waiting for you

to find your happiness.

No matter what path you take,

I trust you’ll find the road

that makes you the happiest.”

From twitter (reflections on JY):

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2

Wah, I love that tweet @Sky8lue

Indeed, what makes me more excited is not the sweet moments between Joon Young and Song Ah but THE moment when they finally break down and let everything loose in each other's arms. It's true that their kisses and sweet moments give me butterflies, but I can't wait for the moment where they completely trust in each other to confide in their deepest worries and fears (and cry it out with each other, especially Joon Young). After that happens, I'm sure we'll see a whole new Song Ah and Joon Young - we'll see them at the happiest they can be. I hope this happens instead of a break-up. Who says that our main leads can't find comfort in each other? That would be nice for a change, seeing them weather the storm together & seeing them grow stronger in front of our eyes (together!). 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Lol, noticed near the end scene in ep. 10 JY played the piano key to shush JK. his face was like shut up and practice already. Boy passive aggressiveness is so gentle and hilarious, :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
  • Awesome 3

31 minutes ago, sal2 said:

Lol, noticed near the end scene in ep. 10 JY played the piano key to shush JK. his face was like shut up and practice already. Boy passive aggressiveness is so gentle and hilarious, :D

One of my favorite  parts.     What a way to put her her place without  saying a word... thanks for bringing  it up :issohappy:

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 3

10 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Watching episode 10 and at the apartment scene. Why are they looking for wet wipes to clean the mess?

Isn’t that the job of a broom?

not only are the peeps annoying me but even objects are getting on my nerves too.

aigoo.

Sorry to cut out your lovely gif (I love them, the gifs) 

Many asking about this scene, saying that it's to unnatural way for Song Ah find the villainous black handkerchief..why do they not use broom..on insta comments a user said that Koreans rarely use broom nowdays esp those who live in apartment..that's why they looking for wet tissues instead not broom.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 9

Good morning everyone! 

that tweet is indeed beautiful @Sky8lue

1 hour ago, annamchoi said:

Dropping by ..

Everyone has the right to love...no one can dictate  who you can love and cannot love .

Will backread ...some posts and comments.brb

i agree! And this is one reason why i say MS/HH are selfishly wrong. They think they are right for being mad because they think they understand “feelings”. My question to them would have been “if you guys were to find out that SA/JY liked DY/JK way before you guys even admitted your feelings, would you guys have stopped that easily too?” 

@heartoppaya haha that meme of Professor Lee is hilariously priceless because she does love cleaning!! 

:loolz:

Man..seeing JY/SA both in their own pain has unleashed the big sister side of me. From now on, I will lash out at these annoying peeps because they should not be hurting my little brother and sister this way:

Nick-meets-Vanessas-sister.gif

lol oh boy..look what Dimples couple are doing to me. I not only am annoyed by the people and objects of this drama but I made myself an invisible side character as well..

:joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, nana4ever said:

thanks for bringing  it up

My pleasure. :D I thought even if it was a very short moment it show the frozen atmosphere in that practice room. It also show JY discomfort being around JK.  It is like saying yes they are "perfect couple" playing to other people. But see if you look closely you can see a friendship breaking apart and there is no harmony in their playing. We can see JY and JK was more focused on their own playing than in playing together. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, stellalafemme said:

@vangsweetie637 Ahhhhh I had started episode 10 and then if you can believe it, my Viki stopped loading. So I will have to go to sleep and try again later.. no kicking butts YET. 

My one main thought though of what I did see-  I’m not sure if people have said this before but objectively it’s a bit of a shame that SA and DY did not work out timing wise. I think they would actually make a sweet couple if JY wasn’t part of the equation. Plus I’m not super attached to MS. She always struck me as very selfish type of friend.. always only wanting to talk more about her problems and feelings over SAs. Although i haven’t watched it yet, I did hear about the handkerchief scene... if JY doesn’t throw that out, I may have to start shipping DY with SA instead, ha!!! Ok prayers I don’t have problems watching later so I can fully react~

viki subs do take awhile. But it is a site where volunteers are subbing so waiting is no problem for me :D i am really glad DY isn’t acting like HH and MS. He got rejected but isn’t acting like he has the right to be upset. I still don’t think MS and HH should even be angry at JY/SA. It’s not like JY/SA had a secret affair with DY/JK.  <_< Haha, you will see soon where JY ends up putting that handkerchief. You will wanna toss it out for him as well LOL! 

@Jillia  Good evening to you :D you will be heading to bed soon I believe lol. See, the thing about Dimples couple is that they can’t speak up or they keep getting tossed around to the point that most of us become protective of them :lol: and now that i think about it, even though we got a backstory of Professor Yoo..he still isn’t too good himself. He is drowning in his own inferiority too but he keeps pointing out JY’s weaknesses to make himself feel better-almost as if he needs the credit to take the claim that he was the one who made JY famous and not vice versa. I don’t think I wholeheartedly empathize with Professor Yoo because what he is doing isn’t pleasant either. It’s sad to see there is no humble and sincere Professors at this university. 

4 hours ago, sal2 said:

ooo yes!! I did notice this and love it! JK trying to act like she has the right to know what’s going on with JY by asking questions and hoping he will confide in her.  And he just down straight shuts her up with a simple gesture of the piano key.

In music terms, it means:

giphy.gif

You hear that, JK...

3 hours ago, Just_Me said:

Sorry to cut out your lovely gif (I love them, the gifs) 

Many asking about this scene, saying that it's to unnatural way for Song Ah find the villainous black handkerchief..why do they not use broom..on insta comments a user said that Koreans rarely use broom nowdays esp those who live in apartment..that's why they looking for wet tissues instead not broom.

ah i see. Thanks for the info :D This is understandable. But for me personally, wet tissues can’t pick up all the small pieces. I don’t want to step on a small piece thinking it’s all cleaned up. When i break a glass or anything that shatters, my mom has me sweep it many times, and vacuum it too to make sure it’s super cleaned up lol. 

• Like 5

doyoulikebrahms-20201002-013203-1 doyoulikebrahms-20201002-013203-0 doyoulikebrahms-20201002-013122-0.

First pic: JY moving  on... Joon Young shhii! Moving on means putting away every little keepsake you have of JK! That inlcludes the suitcase!

2nd pic:  I get you Joon-youngshii! You like her! Not the poor ice cream!:D

@vangsweetie637 I dont think they would stop easily..once the heart and feelinngs gets involved stopping or suoppresing it wont be easy.

I wonder if DY fell in love with SA even before  he dated MS? Its so happened that he was afraid to loose her as friend (SA) so endured his feelings and ended up dating MS?

-edit

Someone posted several pages back ..sorry cant remember the name.

Asking if JY will catch a glimpse of SA in the window seeing him and JK  during practice session.

*my stand

-JY might run after SA upon seeing her

-JY might ask SA   re his text..  SA after their rehersal since they are in the same vicinity( both will go home together) think he texted her but unfortunately SA wasnt able to read it.

OR

SA will go home right away as  she doesnt want to be seen by JY or JK..

• Like 4
  • Love 3

@annamchoi i also think it won’t stop easily too. That’s why I feel that HH/MS should not be lecturing JY/SA about “feelings.” But right now, they believe they are right about how they feel and are ignoring what SA/JY has to say which is why I want to kick their butts:

:kicks:

i think JY will not see SA by the window. She may have left by then. But again, we can be wrong lol. 

• Like 7

Omo.. @Jillia that text preview sounds promising. I hope it won’t become another apartment scene though. And by closer, i hope it’s another kiss and even a hug. I want to see these two hug again but as lovers :wub: and I am alongside with you on SJ:

tenor.gif

I really hope we see a better side to the Professors. We know they got there for a reason. They have teaching ways. But like you say, Professor Yoo’s backstory doesn’t excuse him for the actions he is taking upon JY. I barely see him give encouragement. He seems to always find a way to put JY down, emphasizing that JY won’t make it because of this and that. If he believes in his skills, he wouldn’t feel inferior. Plus, he may be one of the few teachers I have ever seen that are affected by what others say/write about him. He is human but he is also a professional. I mean, I have had professors who has been badmouthed and looked down upon (on certain school websites, students even rate the professors on their teaching levels, homework, lectures..and some don’t score too well) but heck, these teachers don’t care. They keep teaching at their own skill levels and don’t make it easy on students just because someone says they are relying on someone else’s credit. I would like to see the Professors become like this in the end: confidence in what they have to offer but still teach as a teacher should. 

Hahaha see..the BTS of the ice cream kiss gives us such good and close up angles. That’s why I feel cheated by PD-nim. 

He better make it up to us. 

• Like 10
  • Love 2

@Jillia thanks for the ep11 text preview and ice cream angle front kiss pic!:wub:

Woah! A  Place where JY spent his childhood...the relationship is getting serious! To think its JY who took the 

Initiative to bring SA there.its a first for him  I believe.hope this trip of theirs alone will make them as you said closer and for them to open more about each other.♥️

Looking forward to this alone trip of JY and SA! my heart is ready for some flip flops! :7555_attack:

Oh chum, @Jillia why do you mean causing a big wound? Thanks

@vangsweetie637

Feelings  shouldnt to be lectured about  by someone who doesnt know how does feelings and heart  work..when you meet that someone! Im with you on kicking butts! No body can hurt my Babies!!!:fear:

My song choice for  our OTP. This suits them best ♥️

Spoiler

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Glad to see that our Dimple couple did well n the ranking for September. :):wub:  Also I saw that the survey for the blu-ray is on-going. Hope this will really happen and would be extra cool if it will have subs. One can wish right? Since they posted a notice for the international viewers.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1429152wpp/september-drama-actor-brand-reputation-rankings-announced-2

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

13 hours ago, sal2 said:

ah yes...i loved this. he wasn’t just playing any key though and he didn’t do it like anyhow angrily banging the keys to stop her from talking, that was an ‘A’ note, which is what pianists play so that the string players like violinist or cellists can tune their strings before starting the song. it totally gave the message that he was done talking on a personal note, and he was there only to fulfil his role of being her accompanist, nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 8
  • Thanks 1

“Do You Like Brahms?” Writer Reveals What Moment Most Impacted Kim Min Jae And Park Eun Bin’s Love Story

67c9fe0e016f40749dfd82b56c139eeb.jpeg?s=

Oct 2, 2020
by S. Cho

The writer of “Do You Like Brahms?” recently spoke about the love story between Kim Min Jae and Park Eun Bin’s characters in an interview with Newsen.

SBS’s “Do You Like Brahms?” tells the story of how classical music students navigate love and their dreams. Park Eun Bin plays Chae Song Ah, a late-blooming fourth-year violin major who is seven years older than her fellow students. Kim Min Jae will take on the role of Park Joon Young, a genius pianist who has won at multiple international competitions. The drama has been receiving praise for having a rookie writer, rookie director, as well as a young cast.

As Chae Song Ah and Park Joon Young grow closer, they discover each other’s hidden pain. They begin to comfort one another and the two naturally fall in love.

Because their relationship developed so naturally, viewers began to wonder when exactly Park Joon Young fell for Chae Song Ah. Writer Ryu Bo Ri explained, “Rather than say he fell for her at a particular moment, Song Ah left a deep impression on Joon Young from their first meeting. I wrote it thinking she was gradually finding her way into Joon Young’s heart.”

Kim-Min-Jae-Park-Eun-Bin.jpg

She elaborated on their first meeting from episode one, where they were in orchestra rehearsals. Ryu Bo Ri shared, “Song Ah was sitting at the very end because they were seated in order of their practical grade, so she was unable to perform on stage. Despite listening to the conductor’s offensive remarks, she is able to find the courage to ask, ‘Can’t I perform too?’ To Joon Young, who had chosen to leave on sabbatical because of his hectic life and the pressure of his own talent, I thought this had to leave a deep impression. She is the complete opposite of him in that although she may be lacking in talent, she wants to go on stage solely out of her love for music.”

The writer continued, “Later that night, Joon Young is driving with Young In (played by Seo Jung Yeon) when he sees Song Ah running in the rain, covering her instrument with her clothes. I also think that seeing Song Ah cherish her instrument over herself was a moment that really showed Joon Young what kind of person Song Ah was. It’s because they remind him of the moments he had forgotten.”

Ryu Bo Ri shared, “Like this, in all of their meetings, Song Ah left marks of all forms on Joon Young, which makes it difficult to pick just one moment that made him fall in love.” However, she revealed, “I do think that at the end of episode two, when Song Ah asks Joon Young, ‘Not to anyone else, but did you enjoy [today’s performance]? is the moment where Song Ah suddenly comes into Joon Young’s heart.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1429114wpp/do-you-like-brahms-writer-reveals-what-moment-most-impacted-kim-min-jae-and-park-eun-bins-love-story

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2