[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

Soompi & Viki Staff Talk: What Is Your Favorite Drama About College Life?

Dec 23, 2022

A much-loved setting in K-dramas is the college campus—a place filled with dreams, love, and friendship in a major turning point of life. For the latest edition of “Soompi & Viki Staff Talk” series, some of our staff members share our favorite K-dramas about college.

Here are our picks:

Yeon: “Do You Like Brahms?”

do-you-like-brahms.jpeg

My favorite campus drama “Do You Like Brahms?” is quite different from most other dramas about college students. Chae Song Ah (Park Eun Bin) is originally a business student but decides to chase her passion of violin and re-enter college as a music student. In her senior year, she meets genius pianist Park Joon Young (Kim Min Jae). The two start out as friends as they connect through music and similar difficult experiences with love, but their relationship starts taking an unexpected turn. Contrasting with the liveliness of most campus dramas, “Do You Like Brahms?” is a deep journey told through classical music. It seems mellow on the surface, but at closer glance, it is an intensely emotion-packed series that will make you feel a really wide spectrum of feelings. Whether you love classical music like me or are completely new to the genre, I highly recommend giving this unique drama a try!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1559859wpp/soompi-viki-staff-talk-what-is-your-favorite-drama-about-college-life

• 3 months later...

9 K-Dramas That Provide Music For The Soul

Apr 12, 2023

They say music is the language of the spirit. Very often when words fail, it is music that speaks. Transcending borders, music has a universal language which connects hearts and souls. From a group of young hopefuls aspiring to break into the world of K-pop, to brothers-turned-rivals trying to prove their talent, or young love bound by their shared love for music, K-dramas have given us compelling and poignant storylines with music as the central theme. Here is a look at nine such K-dramas that strike the right chord with their many notes.

Do You Like Brahms?”

Do-you-like-brahms-1.jpg

The question “Do You Like Brahms?” often comes up in the show as it draws reference from the unrequited love story between legendary German musicians Johannes Brahms and Clara Schumann, who was married to Brahms’s mentor Robert Schumann. But this drama tells the love story between a talented and gifted pianist named Park Joon Young (Kim Min Jae) and a university student who is an aspiring violinist named Chae Song Ah (Park Eun Bin). Joon Young is weighed down by his debt of gratitude toward the Kyunghoo Foundation, which has been instrumental in his career growth. He is also conflicted regarding his feelings toward violinist Lee Jung Kyung (Park Ji Hyun), his first love and also the heir to the foundation. Song Ah, on the other hand, lacks the natural talent for music but is committed toward learning the violin. However, her ineptitude makes her the subject of constant ridicule and rejection. When Joon Young and Song Ah meet at a concert, he is soon drawn toward her warm and positive aura.

Mellow, lilting, and comforting, “Do You Like Brahms?” strikes a warm chord with its evocative and unhurried storytelling. What’s truly appealing about the show is the way classical music tracks are weaved in to take the narrative forward. Park Eun Bin and Kim Min Jae give a pitch perfect performance, taking us on a lyrical journey of healing, overcoming fears, and realizing one’s dreams despite the odds.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1576539wpp/9-k-dramas-that-provide-music-for-the-soul

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently watching :)

@larus, talking about Brahms' feelings for Clara Schumann, I really always felt sorry for Robert Schumann, poor guy :( he suffered from mental illness, his music for the piano was wonderful, he was the editor of a famous music magazine supporting young composers, including Chopin.

Brahms is too classical for my taste, I prefer romantics. Brahms was always compared to Beethoven, to the extent that his first symphony was nicknamed the tenth symphony after Beethoven's 9th. Anyway my favourite piece by Brahms is the Hungarian dance no. 5.

• Like 1