[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

I just finished episode 3, and I don’t think a kdrama hero has made my heart flutter this much since Crash Landing On You!

Does anyone know where people can watch this in Pakistan? I assume it would be the same as India or UAE. I want to recommend it to my mother.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ryanallright said:

Compared to Park Eun-bin's previous baseball drama, this drama lack of that impact.

ahhh yes!  i was trying very hard to recall where i saw Park Eun bin before.  

this drama is a melo... i liked how the two leads started off as friends being so comfortable with each other.  Just wondering though, when a guy says he missed her and seeing her makes him happy.  isnt that a straight confession?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, emmie said:

Just wondering though, when a guy says he missed her and seeing her makes him happy.  isnt that a straight confession?

In the world today, reality is harsh. If my friend ask me this, I will tell her/him, you are thinking too much

Please observe and take some action, don't assume :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

hello my Brahms chingus!

@Nodame i agree. JK should not be playing with how others feel. But somehow, it may be the facade of a broken self. I just don’t like how she is approaching the situation and making me annoyed by her actions. She first turns JY down then acts like she has a right to him after she sees how he interacts with SA. I think she actually likes JY and wants JY to fight for her against his friend. But seeing he won’t do it, she gets upset and remains with the friend for the sake of it. It’s frustrating because she wants them both, but for reasons that aren’t right. She doesn’t love the friend but wants JY to stand up for her (confessing he likes her and hold onto her because it’s what he wants personally). In the end, she is going to lose both. The actress herself is doing a great job with the role :D

Edit:

18 hours ago, summersunshine19 said:

It's a fictionalized version. Clara was the best musician out of the three, so like JK she was a prodigy. Schumann started learning the piano late but his hand was partially crippled when he was just 20 so that killed his chances of being a performer, he became a composer instead. The couple were like mentors or supporters of Brahms' work. Honestly, I think both men owe a lot to Clara haha, she popularized their work through her concerts.

As for the drama's use of the love triangle aspect... This is actually the part that irks me the most in the drama, when Joonyoung said the theme between the three is "unattainable love". Songah's right that it's more friendship between three people. If Brahms was in love with her, it was hardly unattained, it was more reciprocated and lengthy. I say IF he was in love because he confirmed to friends that his last love was someone else, and he also had feelings for one of the Schumann children so maybe it started off as romantic love but changed to brotherly love (that would be more like Joonyoung)... For their history though, Brahms initially formed a closer bond with Clara because he was visiting Schumann in the asylum, in part on her behalf because she wasn't allowed to go. Schumann wasn't a big hindrance because he wasn't in a proper state of mind (he didn't even see or communicate with Clara then) and he died less than 2 years after. So Clara and Brahms were free to remarry but they didn't by choice. They did stay close - never married anyone else, spent their summers together, wrote tons of "love letters" - until their deaths. I think Clara was married less than 20 years to Schumann, she was close to Brahms more than double that time. After Clara died, Brahms died soon after.

ooo this is very interesting! So it is based on a true story but with fictional additions. From the way you wrote it, it does seem like Clara and Brahms had a chance but chose not to. Hence, it’s not too tragic like the story mentioned in the drama. Thanks for the information!

18 hours ago, Kimsungrin said:

Lmaoooo i hope we will get some physical action too hehe

LOL!! I am in high hopes of this and with kisses! Because if we do then, drinks on me!! :P :lol:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Watch: Park Eun Bin Introduces Her Violin + Shows Chemistry With Kim Min Jae On Set Of “Do You Like Brahms?”

Sep 10, 2020
by D. Kim

A vlog of Park Eun Bin behind-the-scenes of “Do You Like Brahms?” has been revealed!

The romance drama about talented classical music students chasing love, happiness, and dreams. Kim Min Jae stars as world-renowned pianist Park Joon Young, while Park Eun Bin plays Chae Song Ah, a violinist who set out to pursue her love of music later in life than her peers.

After sanitizing the doorknob of her waiting room, Park Eun Bin begins by practicing violin for a scene. She tunes the instrument, explaining that she tuned the strings a bit higher due to the humidity, and then practices while watching a video of her teacher playing.

She then gets ready for filming, and Kim Min Jae shows interest in playing the violin. When he tries it but it doesn’t sound like he hoped, he says, “There’s no rosin [on the bow],” to which Park Eun Bin retorts, “What are you saying? I put on a lot.”

After filming, the two continue to show hilarious chemistry as they double over with laughter in a similar pose when the cameraman runs into the door.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1424740wpp/watch-park-eun-bin-introduces-her-violin-shows-chemistry-with-kim-min-jae-on-set-of-do-you-like-brahms

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just realized rewatching parts of ep 4 through SBS youtube channel (maybe it has already been discussed) that JY offers to eat dinner to SA after the latter said that she thinks the chairwoman did hope something in return when she chose to help JY: his hapiness. After hearing that, JY repeats the word hapiness, pauses for a bit and then asks SA if she wants to eat dinner with him that night. Its like he thought about what makes him happy and came to the conclusion that spending time with SA does. 

And that moment is probably the moment he refers to later when the two are talking at Cheonggyecheon and he says that he realized that being with her makes him happy and thats why he went to the middle school earlier and wanted to meet her a second time at night.

Omo, i just cant wait for whats next!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

I really, really hope that we can see Joon Young and Song Ah face everything together instead of some kind of misunderstanding/breakup that dramas love to do. I adore that they found solace and kinship with each other so quickly. Joon Young flipping the music book over to not see Jung Kyung's name and finally telling her off was great. I think he finally realizes how unhealthy his relationship with her is and feels free to move forward with Song Ah.

I know this drama is going to make Jung Kyung jealous and come in between them and I honestly hate that. I would much prefer that she realizes she's coming between the friends and treating Hyun Ho horribly. 

• Like 7

I'm happy that Joon Young is slowly breaking free from Jung Kyung, and we see that (primarily!) in Träumerei and July 15 (I hope the date's correct, otherwise, sorry!). 

Träumerei is a special piece to Joon Young - quite personal that he didn't play it in any of his concerts (Song Ah's YouTube search came up empty). At first, we didn't know the exact reason - we just knew that it was connected to Jung Kyung. But after the last episode, we know that Träumerei is a song of comfort for Jung Kyung. Of course, because of his love for Jung Kyung, Joon Young felt compelled to comfort her through the years. However, it seems as if in recent years, Joon Young's playing of Träumerei became more of an obligation, and something that made him suffer more due to his unrequited love. 

Enter Song Ah. She listened to Träumerei purely by accident, but she was able to leave a lasting impression on Joon Young by telling him that his playing touched her heart. Since we know Joon Young is heavily motivated by the desire to put others first/play for other people, I think this gave him a 'new' purpose to play Träumerei. Of course, it didn't happen quickly; however, we cannot deny that Song Ah's statement helped him see Träumerei in a new light (judging from his decision to play it for her during the talk show as seen in Episode 5's trailer). 

The other thing is July 15, which coincidentally happens to be both Jung Kyung and Song Ah's birthday. This coincidence helped Joon Young focus on something else on Jung Kyung's birthday, which was vital in helping him slowly break free from Jung Kyung (judging from his behavior and words towards Jung Kyung).

Yes, I also feel a bit worried that because of these parallels, Song Ah seems to be a replacement for Jung Kyung. However, I'd like to think of them instead as only stepping stones to Joon Young finally breaking free of Jung Kyung. After all, the drama is showing us a lot of convincing scenes that the friendship (and budding romance) between Song Ah and Joon Young is as genuine as it can be. For instance, Joon Young is himself (this is the best thing to describe it in my opinion) when he is with Song Ah. He is free from expectations and pressures, and he knows that Song Ah will be there for him regardless of what he does, like a true friend. He is able to confide in her (his troubles, his true feelings - i missed you *squeals*, and his realizations) and find a resting place, a home that he wasn't able to find even when he was touring the world.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

@Kimsungrin Yes TOTALLY agree he realizes spending time with SA makes JY happy. So I loved their scene at Cheonggyecheon (Oh I want to go back there and it was romantice and nice not using the overused Hangang). It made the confession even more poignant.

@Jillia OMG THANK You for your thoughtful and awesome post response. So honored!

:hooray2:

Resonates well with me. I agree that those four have to talk. HH def can do better and even if JY left it would RESOLVE nothing. Yes, JK is at a crossroads like SA. Both are struggling, though SA has a financial safety net that SA doesn't have and needs to figure out the reality of money/making a living soon. JY is enjoying his break and SA is a big part of it. 

I like Cha Young In too being so AWESOME and liking SA and being a great boss. I concur her showing shade where NEEDED is LIFE! Plus she does it so well as a professional too. Nice! She has skills indeed.

Yes agreed how JY told SA his truthful answers and later at the Talk Concert he did the "pc" answers, totally amazing. SA and JY are naturally getting closer due to work and opening up to each other. The fact that SA did with JY and he with her. So beautiful to watch and sense between the two. I think CEO Yoon is not blind and right not not sense anything but he will/or does. Seems like CEO Yoon is trying to get time alone with SA but she is avoiding him.  Subtly at first but these last few times (avoiding the cab) I think he might get it?

(EDIT)

@rafeusjanela  OMG just saw your post. Yes I totally was forgetting that JK and SA bday were the same day. Wow.  He is breaking free from JK and though he has complicated feelings with JK due to their history.

Your point about Träumerei is so spot on. It is song with lots of significant meaning revolving him and JK. So yes with SA and her enjoyment of this song, it is leading to a new memory and way of thinking attached to this song in his life. 

JY felt he had an obligation to befriend her as he got the scholarship from the foundation due to her mother's passing. Then spending more time with her and she is cute/attractive and they are young and spending time together. Naturally you could evolve to like someone. Then she started dating HH , JY lost his chance. He is good friends with HH and could have been one of those--did not want to wreck the friendship or more he was not sure of his feelings when it was too late she was dating HH.

I can get thinking SA could be a replacement of JK. But as you pointed out, though may seem that way, JY is very CLEAR on knowing who SA is to him. He was already having flickering awareness at the concert hall at practice. He noticed her in the rain and wanted to give her an umbrella. He said good job to her after the concert she did not play in so MS would not know she did not play.  His drinking the half spilt coffee (being a nice guy) despite avoiding caffeine makes him have some issues to the point he doesn't eat chocolate. Or standing up for her to the credit card guy by his use of banmal to her. I liked that he waited for cab with her and then she realized oh I was waiting for you to get your cab. It was a cute moment. Their first time eating together (after she decides to say she is a FAN and not go to MS for drinks but hang out with JY.) 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Thank y'all for your thoughts ^^

It's nice to see various responses of this drama

I saw one of parallel scene(?) gif about red and green traffic light, maybe @Jillia knows? Hihihi when joonyoung received jungkyung message after he had dinner together with songah, he faced red light. But when he met songah the next day after philharmonic concert, the light turned green (?) such a good detail

Our otp journey in 4 episodes (fanmade)

For behind the scene engsubbed, you can go to blukimchi and forurfeels ig ^^

www.instagram.com/tv/CE-TZ4HA3p6/?igshid=j8zbrn3cdfmk

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CE96WgMpduJ/?igshid=ljadwyczvczf

Other trivia things

Spoiler

Anyone willing to translate some lyrics ㅋㅋㅋ 

I think sbs also cut some scenes or gonna reveal it later but I didn't see these

In episode 4 preview, jungkyung mentioned about how joonyoung doesn't want play Brahms piece and not because he can't, but we didn't get it in the episode

I saw songah wore this outfit too but 4th episode didn't give us this performance. Sad.. Now I know why eunbin updated her ig with her playing violin on 8th before. She gave us spoiler, but Brahms team seemed decide to cut it? 

Hopefully we can get more stories of them as I haven't seen these (and some scenes from teaser) aired yet

https://m.programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/brahms/visualboard/65896?cmd=view&board_no=773

https://m.programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/brahms/visualboard/65896?cmd=view&board_no=799

*sorrymyenglish

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

I just finished episode 4, and it’s taken me a full 10 minutes to recover from the heart fluttering over the OTP. 

Believe me, I do not get like this over couples, I usually get annoyed by them, but even the preview had me fanning myself and wondering why I was still single!

• Like 4

Do You Like Brahms: Episodes 3-4 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Brahms0304_2.jpg

The tables have turned this week, and now it’s our hero’s turn to get a look at the inner life of our heroine. As their similar natures and predicaments bring them closer together, an official friendship is declared — and it’s off to a beautiful start, being rooted in genuine care, support, and mutual understanding.

EPISODES 3-4 WEECAP

Brahms0304_1.jpg

Excuse me while I spazz! The developments this week could not have been more lovely, and this budding friendship between Joon-young and Song-ah is the stuff that dreams dramas are made of. The birthday song, the hug, the chats by the stream, the sweet confessions… These two have been so unhappily in love for so long that seeing them find happiness and camaraderie in getting to know each other is just everything.

We left off last week with Joon-young and Song-ah’s impromptu dinner together, and it’s not the only time that circumstances will throw them together this week. Add in the fact that Song-ah is acting on behalf of Joon-young at the foundation, and our leads are spending lots of quality time together. And I’m not complaining.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/09/do-you-like-brahms-episodes-3-4-open-thread/

• Like 1

Hi! I've been following this thread for a few weeks now and really enjoyed every post of you all. Thank you so much, reading them helps me a lot to wait for the next episodes!
Dear @rafeusjanela thank you for your insightful posts, and @guestra I especially like your thought about the red and green lights. It's such a good observation.

I was wondering about SA calling her friend "CEO Yoon" as well and I had a feeling that it's for purpose. She wants to draw a line for herself, not to think about him as a man but as they were in professional terms. However it's not for others, only for her own safety and to her, to remember. I think JY noticed that in the Intermission (such a good name for that restaurant) and that's why he tried to help her out.

You all had really good remarks about some nice scenes which I totally agree with. What I enjoyed: the way JY closed the piano and the same time SA's violin string broke (in the end of ep. 3). It was like a closure for their previous one side crushes. I was afraid earlier that JK and CEO Yoon can turn the table, but now I'm sure they lost their chance for good. Anyway I hope the two trio can keep their friendships.

I hope my incorrect english doesn't hinder you from understanding my thoughts :-)
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Watch: Kim Min Jae Shows Impressive Piano Skills And Emotional Acting With Park Eun Bin For “Do You Like Brahms?”

e7d42ebab13540e784ef6f1f5e36aec2.jpeg?s=

Sep 11, 2020
by D. Kim

A behind-the-scenes video has been released for episode 3 of “Do You Like Brahms?”!

The romance drama about talented classical music students chasing love, happiness, and dreams. Kim Min Jae stars as world-renowned pianist Park Joon Young, while Park Eun Bin plays Chae Song Ah, a violinist who set out to pursue her love of music later in life than her peers.

Spoiler

The end of the third episode showed Chae Song Ah on her birthday. Upset after a conversation with her close friend Kang Min Sung (Bae Da Bin), she went to the rehearsal room to pack up her violin when she ran into Park Joon Young. To comfort her, he started playing Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata,” but she told him she didn’t want to hear it in that situation because it is a song she likes. He suddenly shifted to playing the “Happy Birthday” song instead and also gave her a warm embrace.

The behind-the-scenes video shows Kim Min Jae playing the “Moonlight Sonata” and “Happy Birthday” medley, once again proving that he is playing the piano for real in the drama.

Kim Min Jae and Park Eun Bin also film the emotional embrace, and Park Eun Bin sheds tears on his shoulder. As soon as the director cuts the scene, Park Eun Bin quickly wipes the tears off of Kim Min Jae’s jacket as he says, “It’s okay, it’s okay!”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1424914wpp/watch-kim-min-jae-shows-impressive-piano-skills-and-emotional-acting-with-park-eun-bin-for-do-you-like-brahms

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

By the way, did anyone spot the ever-changing facial expressions made by SA during the conversation between SA & JY after dinner at Cheonggyecheon?

When JY said that SA made him happier and then he said "no.. I was wrong". SA's expression quickly changed from happy (since JY said she made him happy now) to a frown.

I think JY saw that since he quickly glanced at SA and then continued with his (now famous) speech of "he was wrong that he wanted to go to the venue to check it out. he wanted to smile so he went to the venue (since SA makes him happy)." When he said this SA's face changed into someone who's concerned (since he's basically saying that he wasn't feeling good).

And when JY said "he missed her," SA quickly became bashful & shy and both JY & SA were smiling.

I felt this scene was done really well by Park Eunbin. The change from happy to frown to concerned to bashful was so well portrayed that if some other actress had played it, I don't know if they'd be able to show SA's inner feelings that well. And of course, the way Minjae said JY's lines was also on the spot, creating a synergy between SA & JY that made this scene one of the highlights of ep4. I don't think I'll ever get bored watching this scene. hehehe

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

I really like this drama. While waiting for new episodes, I find myself watching scenes again. 

I had this thought originally but forgot to share it. I just have to say that the teacher in the beginning was very dramatic lol. I tried to understand his reasoning but..

He dismisses just SA and the other gal because the violins already made too much noise?

I was like, dude, seriously. You have more people playing the violins other than these two. Taking out just SA and the girl makes no difference. Now, if he took out 3+ rows then yes, i see the difference but just two players.

My reaction:

tenor.gif

I don’t play instruments so I may be wrong. But taking out just 2 violins would not change much of the voice frequency right? 

my impression is that the teacher is just a bias person. He doesn’t like the ones in last place. But to keep his ‘professionalism’, he used the noise as an excuse. 

okay, backtracking mode now :D

Edit:

@anyeze welcome to the Brahms party! I had a hard time reading what you wrote because it seemed to be in a darker screen. Can you make it so I can easily read it? Thanks ;)

Edit 2:

I love these two a lot! They are so adorable together! And when I see these two:

1599735874.gif&key=99935016752b1a5360dec

this is my reaction:

tumblr_n49kelCsm01qflr4jo1_250.gif?w=117

:joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

4 Things We Loved & 1 Thing We Hated About Episodes 3 & 4 Of “Do You Like Brahms?”

93dbdd7c96304a3a8029ae7bcc41d7a7.jpeg?s=

Sep 11, 2020
by kaityv

Episodes 3 and 4 of “Do You Like Brahms?” continue to charm viewers with their soft and lyrical nature just as the premiere episodes did. As tensions continue to rise between both friend groups, Chae Song Ah (Park Eun Bin) and Park Joon Young (Kim Min Jae) gravitate towards each other. Here are some of the things we loved and hated about the new episodes.

Warning: spoilers for the episodes below. 

LOVED: When Park Joon Young comforts Chae Song Ah

The stand out scene in the third episode is the ending. After having a tearful conversation with Kang Min Sung (Bae Da Bin) about Yoon Dong Yoon (Lee Yoo Jin), Song Ah confronts Joon Young in the piano room. She pieces together that Joon Young stopped her from seeing her friends’ heated confrontation in the staircase the other night at dinner. Without words, Joon Young walks back to the piano and begins to play Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” and near the end transitions it into the “Happy Birthday” song. Afterwards, he bravely stands up, asks Song Ah if she would like to be friends, and embraces her.

This scene is the epitome of romance. Earlier in the episode, Jung Kyung discusses the idea that Joon Young speaks through music rather than words and actions. One detail that makes this scene so extraordinary is that not only does he console Song Ah with music, but he verbally and physically consoles her as well. Song Ah’s voiceover really clues in viewers on how moved she is by Joon Young, and it’s just absolutely delightful. If this is how he acts when they’re just friends, viewers can only imagine how his charms will grow when the pair becomes a couple. Of course, the best detail has to be that Joon Young played her the “Happy Birthday” song. It’s so subtle that you may not catch it on your first listen, but it really speaks volumes on how much he already cares for her. He didn’t want her to leave the practice room upset, and he consoled her in such a tender way.

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1424527wpp/4-things-we-loved-1-thing-we-hated-about-episodes-3-4-of-do-you-like-brahms

• Like 1
  • Love 1