[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

Does anyone have a  full link? on this radio guesting of KMJ and PEB..thanks!:(

Saranghe..saranghe ...saranghe..:wub:

Another superb performance ftom PEB in Stove League

Question:

Do we have an episode where it states why is JY doesnt like Brahms? I cant seem to recall.thank you.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@annamchoi

Do we have an episode where it states why is JY doesnt like Brahms?

I don't think he clearly says why but I think he is seeing himself in Brahms who was in love with the wife Clara (Jung Kyung) of his friend Schumann (Hyun Ho).

So in a way, Joon Young despises Brahms for being in love with someone he can't have, just like he himself liked someone who was with his best friend.

The fact he wants to play Brahms in episode 15 might indicate he is completely over whatever feelings he had for Jung Kyung. :D

Thank you for explaining..:) all along I thought I may have miss that part..:lol:

Cant wait for our happily ever ending after for our beloved otp...and hear they say Saranghe to each other! It will surely make our hearts flutter and happiest!:heart1:

• Like 9
  • Love 3

30 minutes ago, rafeusjanela said:

Yes, I think that's the reason, @Jillia @annamchoi

After all, Joon Young's interpretation of Song Ah's project about Brahms was 'unattainable love' (as opposed to Song Ah's 'friendship between three people'). 

Its understandable why.JY is  not keen on Brahms music  pieces..at that time he was head over heals in love with JK.which he cant have,  before because of HH, which he value and respect the most because of thier friendship.

I wonder still , if JK was in love then with JY why choose HH?? And it took 10 yerars for her to  realized that she wants JY all the while..its weird isnt it?? Took her that long..

51 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@annamchoi

Do we have an episode where it states why is JY doesnt like Brahms?

I don't think he clearly says why but I think he is seeing himself in Brahms who was in love with the wife Clara (Jung Kyung) of his friend Schumann (Hyun Ho).

So in a way, Joon Young despises Brahms for being in love with someone he can't have, just like he himself liked someone who was with his best friend.

The fact he wants to play Brahms in episode 15 might indicate he is completely over whatever feelings he had for Jung Kyung. :D

Playing Brahms for the first and its for SA means JY is truly over with JK and wants a new beginning in life and love with SA .

• Like 6
  • Love 7

8 hours ago, Jillia said:

And - I know this sounds cheesy - but I think the sonata is like a another love confession between Song Ah and Joon Young and I'm here for it. And now that I said it I'm worried I jinxed it. :lol: What if the scene doesn't end as wonderful as we imagine? But on the other hand, they look so solemn in the preview that I think in end it will turn out beautiful. :wub:

I actually wouldn't mind just watching a 20 minute performance of these two in episode 15.

:issohappy:

Yes please gimme the full sonata with these two playing!!

• Like 5
  • Love 7

@rafeusjanela, @Jillia

Songah and Joonyoung's different interpretations somehow remind me of how it was applicable for both of them,  not just in terms of relationships but way they were approaching playing their instruments as well. For songah it was not about her unattainable/unrequited love for violin but a friendship between her dream, herself and what she is really skilled at. Whereas in case of Joonyoung after a point of time playing piano with the same passion became sort of a love that was unattainable (like JK) . May be in the course of events that transpired later, SA lost her way, while JY, though not much but was finding his way back. And now playing together, hopefully will find their way to both friendship and love :heart:

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

I was reading more about Brahms' Violin Sonata no.1 and found a few interesting articles..

The piece is also called the Rain Sonata and references two of his earlier works - Regenlied(Rain Song) and Nachklang (lingering sound) and given how significant rain has been in their relationship, it is yet another masterstroke from the writer to use it as the first piece they play together. Maybe this means they will get rained on together and share each other's troubles too...

Article about Brahms' Rain Songs

And also , though he wrote the song to comfort Clara after she lost her last child (who was apparently most reminiscent of Schumann) , she continued to play it and his other Rain Songs all her life and even hoped they could be with her on the bridge to Afterlife.. 

http://www.musicologynow.org/2015/04/brahms-clara-and-op-78.html?m=1

And to end with , sharing a poem written by Lisel Muller about the relationship between Brahms and Clara 

ROMANTICS

Johannes Brahms and

Clara Schumann

The modern biographers worry

“how far it went,” their tender friendship.

They wonder just what it means

when he writes he thinks of her constantly,

his guardian angel, beloved friend.

The modern biographers ask

the rude, irrelevant question

of our age, as if the event

of two bodies meshing together

establishes the degree of love,

forgetting how softly Eros walked

in the nineteenth-century, how a hand

held overlong or a gaze anchored

in someone’s eyes could unseat a heart,

and nuances of address not known

in our egalitarian language

could make the redolent air

tremble and shimmer with the heat

of possibility. Each time I hear

the Intermezzi, sad

and lavish in their tenderness,

I imagine the two of them

sitting in a garden

among late-blooming roses

and dark cascades of leaves,

letting the landscape speak for them,

leaving us nothing to overhear.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 7
  • Thanks 5

Pardon my honest opinion

Visuals in the drama is very good. Decided to watch for the two female leads in the beginning.

But the storyline and characters let me down, way too melo, too depressing and kind of mediocre to secure my absolute attention.

Park Eun-bin impressed me in Hot Stove League but over here, I can't bring myself to watch Song-ah or should I say I can't bring myself to like her character.

Tbh, this drama is lacking

• Like 1

Hey, guys! Sorry I have been sort of silent this week! I wanted to join in all the conversations but because I had an exam I needed to study for I decided to just read instead of engaging. I was stalking and like people's post.

I can't believe we are to the end of the road. I am getting so sad. I was using this to get out of my slump from HP and now I will be in DYLB slump....uff..

Since so many of you have already commented on episode 14 and there were all so insightful to read. I just wanted to share a few of my thoughts. They could be repetitive but I need to let it out.

Episode 14-- left me with such painful feeling in my heart. I couldn't cry but my heart was.. I don't if that makes any sense...my heart was scarred after watching everything that happened. However, it was also poetic and very symbolic

The main issue I had with episode is how many times do JY have to make it clear to JK that he doesn't like her anymore. How many... he said episode 13.. let's never meet each other again. Outside his apartment and coming on campus. He did make boundaries...however, JK is not respecting his wishes. The piece with Traumerai. Traumerai they have me officially hate the piece. Yes, his wanting to protect SA and saying sorry for everything was annoying. There are breaking up was good, needed, and sad. However, in episode 14...JY's protectiveness pulled into high gear because of how in episode 12 how SA reacted to JK simply being mentioned. He know the very mention of Jk his enough to make SA distant.. wrong approach.. he made the situation worse and taken advantage of by MISS ENTITLED!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact HH, in episode 9 had the most clarity about this situation of playing for JK. Even though he came at from Miss Entitled's POV. The same could be said for SA. However, the feeling of debt that JY had is still very strong

The writer had in fact cleverly laid out their individual issues that eventually came out to plat in their relationship problems since episode 1. It can be seen by their interaction clearly in the airport scene. SA when recounting the exam story. She said anybody could have come up with the idea (lack of confidence) and to which JY if everyone could they would. Lack of communication from JY when SA has to ask me after long silence are you here to pick up a friend? He said simply just a friend didn't care to clarify or elaborate. The foundation was built episode 1 and voiced out in episode 6 by SA when she longer wants to be friends because he isn't willing to open up. This eventually being one of the reasons for there breakup.

About the breakup scene, I love how the writer showed the reason for there breakup is the both of them. A relationship consists of two people. Therefore, them breaking up is the both their fault (JY his lack of communication and SA her insecurity. It was brilliantly enacted by KMJ and PEB. Also, one detail I would like to mention is the voice modulation in that scene by SA especially when she says How do I lean on you? It was heart breaking because she could sense that she had become a burden to him through growing insecurity which made her feel guilty. Also, she again was the first one to mention love...courage even in during a breakup. She also lost herself in their relationship.  I had a feeling though in episode 12, during the umbrella scene JY wanted to say I love you, however, held himself back. You can see it in his expressions if you look closely. They had both fallen in love... even though JY said like to JK. Another observation in that scene was after she left you could see JY expression change into a small smile. I don't know if others noticed it but I for one thought why this change in expression. I think he realized that SA used the word love for the first time too. Other reason I believe is even though heart broken to hear she was no longer happy he was proud of her for choosing her happiness which is something he has consistently trouble with. JY has always been proud of SA and the fact that he dating her. I have no doubts about that.

I have seen on twitter ppl blaming them for weak characters. They aren't. They are just like you and I. They are real. Also, if we are do compilation of the characters we can see them speaking their minds. It is gradual but there. THe problem is even though they are speaking up is the lack of acknowledgement by the other party. There aren't willing to listening.  The issues they face can be said for especially SA( lack of confidence) is something we can all relate. Both of them are perfectly imperfect I believe I think why I am became so invested in DYLB is because deep we want good things to happen to good people. Even if the writer says how many people actually want to know of people's success.

Episode 15- I am scared and excited... for what is to come. Also can JY just yell JK just to get the Hell out. PLEASE, I really want to see it. I am so sick of her.

• Like 6
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 4

@cherrhys88 Oh what a huge spoiler!!! Looks like we’ll see their graduation and maybe even a time jump? At least to see what they’re doing after graduation and as their career.

Ahhhh we are so close to Monday!!! I’ve been waiting all week for Monday to come! This is the first time I want the weekend to end fast!

• Like 10

13 hours ago, sal2 said:

Director back talking about ep 13. I guess there was allot to talk about as there is 2 part. :D  

Thanks for sharing the reviews. The videos are long but very interesting discussion indeed - especially the discussion on JK and miscommunication between JY and SA. Sharing my understanding of the context here for the first video and will come back to the second one tomorrow.

PS: Understanding this video is a bit challenging for me so I probably have made some mistakes. Please do let me know if I get any context wrong and I would really appreciate that :heart:

#01 Prof. Lee who was happy of giving Prof. Song a hard time

(Praising the acting skills of the actress but one said he wanted to punch the character LOL)

#02 JK meeting Prof. Song

They were confused at the reaction of Prof.Song since JK is the heir of Kyunghoo Group - normally you wouldn't expect a professor to offend a potential financial supporter. It was a little unreasonable in their opinion.

#03 Extreme confrontation between JY and JK

They think JK tends to speak impulsively. This was shown quite clearly through this scene as she keep reminding how pitiful JY is with the fact that he has been receiving support from her family (which was a fact that he was TOO well aware of). They think JK's understanding of the mutual need relationship with JY is definitely not based on pure feeling of love and she can't even be considered as a friend (but a rubbish) of JY for the words that she said to him. Just a very self-centered character which focused on her own pain of not able to get something she wants.
From the reaction of Director Na witnessing the scene, they think she might have realized that she needs to confront her granddaughter. JK probably misunderstood the intention of Director Na helping JY and thinking that JY was 'owned' by her family. She might have think of JY as something she could own anytime she reaches out. And suddenly the person became successful in his musical career and even rejected my confession? How dare him?

#04 JY's mom message on the resolved money problem

JY has been aware of the fact that he's playing to pay the debt of his dad since he was young. The hidden fact that there were more debt that was paid off by the foundation must have shocked him hugely while JK has to keep reminding him of the fact.

In their opinion, the relationship between JY and JK is not possible. As their previous comment on love, 사랑이란 서로 우뚝 서야한다 (Love is standing tall for each other/ Love is willing to serve each other?) Not too sure about the exact translation meaning we need each other. The moment when the 'need' breaks could be the moment where love breaks as well - e.g.: when you can't provide me with the money anymore or other issue that distant the two person. You have to take the action to fill in such distance for each other slowly. The relationship could be a precarious one if one is just waiting for the other person to fill the gap. It might not even be love.

#05 Conflicts between SA and JY

On the question if SA should be that concern about JY and JK - SA have personal problems that came progressively to her. It's normal to view our own issues are always the biggest issue from our POV so SA is probably feeling defeated with all her issues. While for JY, it is obvious for us to see that he has a stickier problem so he's not able to give attention to SA. But from SA's perspective, she only sees JK that appears beside JY and JY's excuses that didn't match with what she sees (e.g.: Seeing them together in a taxi while he said they would be practicing etc.). This turned on the SA's instinct on their relationship the wrong way, can't stop being suspicious about JY and JK, and the self-feeding suspicious cycle could drive her crazy. 

They suggest that the relationship between SA and JY might not work out for their current situation because of their different way of living and communication (Just like how they play different instruments). Even people that speaks the same language and close friends can have misunderstanding due to miscommunication. With the miscommunication and their own personal issues, the situation of JY and SA is just as described in the lyrics of the song Thorn Tree (가시나무) - There's too much of myself inside me that there's no space for you to rest (내 속엔 내가 너무도 많아서 당신의 쉴 곳이 없네). There are too many thorn tree inside them that anybody who comes close will get hurt from the thorns. They can't hug each other as they will get hurt. 

They think perhaps if JY can share his actual excuse (His father's debt problem), that could have clear SA's mind from JK and actually create the condition where they could comfort each other. So the main problem still lies in miscommunication.

@Sneha Hope your exam goes well! The last drama that I was this engaged with is HP too:lol: I can't wait for the next season to come. I agree a lot on the last part of your comment as I can really related with the character's struggles (especially the inner one). That's probably why the scenes keep lingering on my mind:P

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 6

Hi all...:)

Dropping by to share..DYLB goodies..

HD group pics 

k-maniac-20201018-115118-0 k-maniac-20201018-115118-2 k-maniac-20201018-115118-3

Spoiler

k-maniac-20201018-115118-4

@cherrhys88 @Abirami Ramakrishnan We are all excited and the same time anxious of what the finale would be..

What would be the future be like for our beloved SA & JY..lets hope for nothing but the very best for our otp..both in life and future careers.

@Jillialistened to the OST album before I went to sleep last night.Sleepy Music Video GIF by Dizzy Fae

Whats in PEB's bag..:happyshakes:

Have a wonderful Sunday EVERYONE!❤

• Like 2
  • Love 10
  • Thanks 6

Hmm....If this is the grad school practical exam, then how about the one where JY is accompanying SA as shown in the episode 15 teaser (where SA is wearing the black gown with a white stripe). According to earlier news articles, that scene was the grad school recital? Could it be that SA has to retake the grad school admission practical exam, or does the practical exam consist of two parts? One being a violin solo recital while the second being a violin sonata requiring the piano accompaniment. 

And can we trust Professor "Duster" Lee to sit around and do nothing after SA quit working as her assistant for the chamber orchestra? Wouldn't be surprised if she has a hand in sabotaging SA's exam recital by pressurising SA's new piano accompanist to pull out at the last minute. (Sigh...I wish time would pass more quickly so we can get to episode 15 sooner, but at the same time, I don't want the story to end so soon. The finale week dilemma is killing me! Back to praying for a good ending.)

@Abirami Ramakrishnan @annamchoi Thanks for your replies! Franck's Sonata sounds like a piece that requires a strong piano accompaniment (from what I've learnt from the drama plus reading articles as a non-musician) where the the violin and piano are featured equally, rather than having the violin taking centre stage, so I do wonder if it can be chosen as a solo piece. I don't know enough about music though. While we're all guessing what happens in episode 15 based on the teaser, text preview and news articles, maybe we will be in for a surprise tomorrow? Whatever the case, I hope it's a surprise with a happy outcome (fingers crossed)!

Today's news article:

EGJUG6OZUUNUTQ4E4K7P4TFURA.jpg

Papago translation of the news article:

"Do you like Brahms?' Park Eun-bin will be standing at the site of her graduate school practical test. Her courage and determination to do her best until the end add support.

Questions are mounting over the ending of SBS' Monday-Tuesday drama "Do You Like Brahms?" (written by Ryu Bo-ri/directed by Cho Young-min/produced by Studio S) with only two episodes left until the end. Among them is Chae Song-ah (Park Eun-bin), who came running to become a violinist. Chae Song-ah, who is hurt by her talent as much as she likes the violin, has been drawing sympathy from many viewers.

In the end, Chae Song-ah made a big decision after hitting the wall of talent and time. First, Chae Song-ah quit her job as a professor Lee Soo-kyung (Baek Ji-won. If Professor Lee Soo-kyung is out of his sight, it is difficult to enter graduate school. Despite Professor Lee Soo-kyung's keen eyes that she would regret it, Chae Song-ah did not change her choice.In the midst of this, the 15th scene of "Do You Like Brahms?" shows Chae Song-ah on the stage of the practical test at graduate school, drawing attention.

In the photo released, Chae Song-ah takes a deep breath and stands on stage. Lee Soo-kyung and other judges are sitting in front of him. Lee Soo-kyung is looking at Chae Song-ah's performance coldly. Chae Song-ah is playing calmly under the gaze. Chae Song-ah's unwavering immersion in the performance suggests her determination.

Chae Song-ah quit her job as Chamber, but she will show her best effort until the end of the graduate school exam she started. It's not that simple to put a violin at once that I've liked for a long time. Regardless of the result, Chae Song-ah stands on stage to fulfill her true feelings for her favorite violin, to cherish her dreamy self. What will happen to Chae Song-ah's graduate school exam results?

"Do you like Brahms?" The production team said, "Song-ah does her best until the end without giving up on the stage of her graduate school practical test. He also plays a performance that he has practiced so hard in front of Professor Lee Soo-kyung. Please keep an eye on her for making the violin-loving, veal-like choice. Episode 15 of SBS' Monday-Tuesday drama 'Do You Like Brahms?' will air at 10 p.m. on Monday, October 19."

https://www.chosun.com/entertainments/entertain_photo/2020/10/18/SGRXCE2T5C5PFXTTX6NR2WOUSA/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

@Sky8lue I think she has 2 recitals .. one for entering the post graduate programme and the other on is for her undergrad graduation recital..

I think she plays the Frank Sonata( quoting from the article : piece she has practiced in front of professor Lee ) for the entrance recital and Brahms for her graduation?

All the previews this week have been so confusing.. I really can't wait to see what actually happens either

• Like 11
  • Love 2

Kim Min Jae And Park Eun Bin Pick Their Favorite Scenes From “Do You Like Brahms?”

da5ec81d2b444d6888b0f90e9d0be73f.jpeg?s=

Oct 18, 2020
by S. P

Kim Min Jae and Park Eun Bin of “Do You Like Brahms?” picked their favorite scenes from the drama!

“Do You Like Brahms?” is a romance drama about classical musicians who are torn between their dream and the harshness of reality as they pursue their love of music. Kim Min Jae stars as world-renowned pianist Park Joon Young, while Park Eun Bin stars as Chae Song Ah, an aspiring violinist who enters the field later in life than her peers.

Park Eun Bin selected a scene in the first episode where her character Chae Song Ah meets a child who asks her if she plays the violin well. She met the child on the same day in which she was chased off of the stage she had wanted so badly to perform on with the harsh words, “Then don’t be last.” Chae Song Ah left a deep impression on viewers as she said to the child, “I like it very much.” Her answer implied that although she wanted her passion for the violin to reflect in her technical skills, sometimes talent doesn’t always follow hard work.

Park Eun Bin also chose Chae Song Ah’s tearful confession to Park Joon Young in episode 6 as another memorable scene. Although Chae Song Ah had tried to suppress her feelings for him, she couldn’t hold back any longer as she turned to Park Joon Young and said, “I like you.” Park Eun Bin portrayed the emotional state of her character through small details such as her trembling gaze and hand movements, leading to the creation of a particularly memorable confession scene.

Park Eun Bin explained her reason for selecting the scenes, saying, “The scenes where Chae Song Ah summons her courage to confess two things—her love for the violin and her feelings for Park Joon Young—are memorable to me. I expressed her love for the violin as a love that has been buried deep for a very long time, but I tried to express her confession to Park Joon Young as an accidental explosion of her feelings that she could no longer hold back. I worked hard to express these feelings, so these scenes are close to my heart.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1432224wpp/kim-min-jae-and-park-eun-bin-pick-their-favorite-scenes-from-do-you-like-brahms

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

@Jillia it's interesting now that we may have Prof Song in the picture..

But I think apart from doing well in the recital SA also needs to get an endorsement from on of the professors? I think Hae Na mentioned it in one of the episodes..

Other professors probably won't accept her as she was Prof Duster's student.. Also in the preview,SA says she is happy even though it ended up like this.. I'm guessing that's a reference to her grad school application since she tried her best..

I also think Prof Duster was either bluffing or will ask JK to sponsor the chamber in case she decides to support her for the position.. But I think JK is aware of what that would entail, she would basically have to live like JY .. JK would owe all her career to that one act of Prof Duster's and will have to continue sponsoring the chamber for a long time.. I think she will walk away from it even if it's offered to her.. it will be interesting to see what she does though..

• Like 13