[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

I have to sleep earlier than usual tonight due to an early appointment tomorrow. But first thing first:

@annamchoi @Jillia @Abirami Ramakrishnan

Went to Professor Duster’s place. Dang this lady can clean. Her house is spotless!

:fear:

Anyways, i am parking outside her house:

giphy-downsized.gif

while the professional interventionist does her part of the deal first:

giphy.gif

Spoiler

200w.gif

Gotta love this lady!

• Like 1
  • LOL 13

Watch: Park Eun Bin And Kim Min Jae Are Playful While Filming “Do You Like Brahms?”

71c5cb46d3ca45b6a13f4b5c9db81038.jpeg?s=

Oct 15, 2020
by M. Kang

SBS’s “Do You Like Brahms?” released behind-the-scenes footage from an emotional scene featured in episode 13.

The video starts off showing Park Eun Bin and Kim Min Jae getting ready to start filming. In an attempt to lighten the heavy atmosphere preceding an emotional scene, Park Eun Bin jokes that it’s nice the lines are so short. She tries to cheer on her acting partner and asks for his support as well. They then hold hands to recharge one another’s energy.

Brahms-1.jpg

More laughter fills the air when Park Eun Bin and surrounding staff members tease Kim Min Jae on a comment that he makes. He gets flustered, to which everyone laughs fondly.

Brahms-2.jpg

Spoiler

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1431740wpp/watch-park-eun-bin-and-kim-min-jae-are-playful-while-filming-do-you-like-brahms

• Like 7
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 2

Poll responses:

1. What kind of ending will we get?

I chose "happily ever after" because at this point, can my heart accept any other? The heart wants what it wants. On a more serious note, I think this ending makes sense because we know that their overflowing feelings for each other are genuine. There will be no meaning to all the scenes (OTP reminiscing the past in everything they do, everywhere they go, missing each other and agonising about the break-up until they fall sick) in episode 15's preview if everything ends with a bittersweet parting full of regret. This is not Goblin, Hotel del Luna or any one of those Romeo and Juliet-type sageuks, so there is no dreaded destiny/celestial intervention blocking their way to getting back together after overcoming their individual struggles.

2. Will we get at least one more kiss?

We need a proper reconciliation cum affirmation-of-love hug, but I'm going to be greedy (and guessing how SBS' mind works based on all the OTP-focused BTS) and place my bets on at least one more kiss in episode 16. (p.s. I won't complain if there's one at the end of episode 15 and another in episode 16, to make up for all the angst we had to endure during the past 3 episodes.)  

3. Will JY quit the piano and SA, the violin?

I chose "No" because my gut feeling is that the Brahms sonata will be the turning point for their music as well as their relationship. After playing the accompaniment for SA, JY rekindles the love or passion for music that he thought he had lost, and finds renewed meaning in playing the piano again. SA has always been a source of comfort and strength for him and I think he will fully realise this in episode 15. As for SA, I think she may not become a violinist but eventually switch to becoming a impresario and work for Kyunghoo Foundation or a similar organisation (based on her attire in one of the spoiler photos released by the staff). But I think she may still wish to give grad school a shot (which is why she doesn't withdraw from the grad school admission exam), to play homage to her beloved dream and play the violin on stage and deliver her best and most heartfelt violin performance. This is definitely the scene I'm most looking forward to!

• Like 2
  • Love 14

@kismet22 I love what you said about SA being really happy. It’s clear that she was really happy when she first pursued going to violin school (as we see in the video). I mean the first episode opened with the video, so perhaps that’s why the title of episode 14 is “return to the beginning” and we see SA watch the video... Actually ironically, the title of episode is “Dream” so SA is basically going back to the beginning, and this is why episode 14 ends with her breaking up with JY, in order for her to pursue and find her dream.

Sure SA was smiling and happy in the short moments with JY but that wasn’t a long happiness. I expected SA to break up with JY but now I’ll say that I’m glad that she broke up with him.. I want SA to find her will and happiness so I hope in the last two episodes we will see that. I also hope that we will see JY find his happiness as well, maybe find joy in playing the piano once again...

Here are my answers to the final poll:

1. Happy Ending please! I hope we can see our couple get back together and truly be happy, open and communicating with each other. They are so cute together and really deserve each other! I would love to see a scene where they banmal to each other too ;)

2. Yes, need more kisses :kiss_wink:

3. I feel like JY will continue to play the piano and when he plays, it’ll sound like when he plays traumerei, genuine and sincere. Heck maybe he’ll mainly be playing Brahms music? As for SA... I’m not sure honestly :o I feel like the drama has been hinting that she MIGHT work at the Kyunghoo foundation, but at the same time, I want her to continue to pursue violin since she loves it so much! Maybe we’ll see that SA and JY do duets with each other because when they play together it’s magical :wub:

I have been DYING to see JY and SA perform together because I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think that the two of them will bring out the best of their playing out of each other!!! Okay, I demand that scene of JY and SA playing Brahms sonata NOW! I can’t wait for episode 15... This wait is killer :brokenheart:

@Jillia I’ve been wondering about this too, but I feel like the last scene might be either the two of them performing with each other (Not the scene we saw in episode 15 preview) OR it’ll be JY participating in the competition and SA is there with him, and he wins? I’m leaning towards my first choice though, SA and JY performing on the stage together playing Brahms again? :D

• Like 10
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I have to sleep earlier than usual tonight due to an early appointment tomorrow. But first thing first:

@annamchoi @Jillia @Abirami Ramakrishnan

Went to Professor Duster’s place. Dang this lady can clean. Her house is spotless!

Anyways, i am parking outside her house:

while the professional interventionist does her part of the deal first:

Reveal hidden contents

200w.gif

Gotta love this lady!

@vangsweetie637 sleep well..and goodluck with your appoinment.

Prof Duster!!

angry jersey shore GIF

@vangsweetie637 do I need proffesional inrervention still??Lets Go Reaction GIF

@Abirami Ramakrishnan Im ready!

chicks who love guns GIF

@Jillia Lets GO!!

GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Awesome 2

Your question is making me imagine all sorts of scenarios in my head (happy ones, no doubt) for the ending next week, @Jillia. I'm not complaining though. 

Hmmm, I'd like to see them perform together on more than one occasion. From the preview, it seems that both of them are not on good terms with each other (still has the hurt and awkwardness of that after a breakup) when Joon Young volunteers to accompany Song Ah. While I hope this would be a beautiful performance where they rediscover their love for music and their need to be with each other, I hope they perform together once again when they're a happy couple. (Maybe they can play together at the foundation's anniversary. This was mentioned a few times in the earlier episodes, after all.)

I'd also be happy to see some kisses and hugs here and then. Another thing I'm hoping for is Joon Young winning the Tchaikovsky competition. However, this time, I'd like for him to win with a 10 from one judge and maybe 6 or 7s from the others (a reference to what the maestro said in the earlier episodes). It would also be lovely to see Song Ah be there when Joon Young wins. Maybe he can go on winning competitions with Song Ah by his side, as the prizes would help him earn some money finally for himself, or maybe even pay back the foundation to lessen the burden he feels. 

• Like 1
  • Love 13

I actually surprised myself when doing the poll O.O

1. Open ended

Love love love open ended endings, but I was so sure I would love for them to get together this time around, but my heart still opted for open ended!

Leaving it open ended is so up my alley for this, sometimes you meet someone, sometimes that person is right for you, sometimes it isn’t, but you take away so much from the relationship that you know you wouldn’t be who you’re today without that person. And for me that sounds so nice both to JY and SA, they taught each other how to love themselves and people around them. 

That said, i still think 90% chance it would be a happy ending!!! 

2. Yes but not really 

I want more kisses BUT I want them more to figure out their emotions and issues! I have always felt like JY and SA’s connection was a deeper more philosophical connection, the meeting of two gentle souls in a sometimes crushing environment and understanding each other under the vignette of social circumstances. Rather than a kiss i wished for more intellectual connection like the preview of ep 15 where they looked at each other and like something clicked, they are in sync on the same note, yes that philosophical chemistry and mutual understanding is what i really wanna see!

3. Maybe

I voted maybe because I just wished for them to be happy finding their way back to what they loved or not.  Referencing what SA’s dad said in a previous episode. 

“ I am waiting for you to find your happiness which ever path that may be.” 

I am so glad I got to come here and discuss the ending of this drama with everyone the poll was so fun! Do you like Brahms will be a drama I hold quite close to heart, it has so many life parallels even if you’re not a classical musician, and that touched me deeply. I dont know if I am ready to let it go next week. 

• Like 9
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1

Take so much hesitation to choose only 1 option on the poll

1. HAPPY ENDING

As much as I want SA and JY getting back together and get their own happy ending, but more than just being awkwardly fluffy and cute, I want to see them grow to be a whole person first. So, by "happy ending" here I mean, they resolve their own issue first and then getting back together later. 

Resolving issue may take time longer than we need, given that show also must give closure to the other character (HH, JK {or should we not}, Director Na, and JY family issue), and we only get 2 more episode, straight 60 minutes (not counting the time how slow they talk to each other, unnecessary flashback, staring contest, etc). Therefore, I also prepared my heart for any chance for "open ending". Because I firmly believe, as long as SA and JY takes their time to resolve their issues, "open ending" here will also means they will eventually pulled into each other once again, as from the first they're such 2 beautiful souls finding their way to each other.

Anyway, what is the difference by "open ending" and "staring contest" here at the poll?

2. ONE (OR) MORE KISS, please! 

And then, if our mighty Writer-nim kindheartedly granting our wish, so yes, one (or) more kiss please! The one kiss that comes from JY finally having his greed for the first time to win SA's heart back! 

But, yes, I want this kiss happen after uri Writer-nim happen to have clear all their problems and baggage. Not the confession kiss-like anymore. After 16 episode, SA and JY will walk by their own self withous us viewers guiding them, so we want to make sure that there's no more baggage left for them to explode in the future, right? #DYLBprotectionsquad

3. Will JY quit piano, and SA quit violin? NO!

NO! Of course! Moreover for JY, how come he make a living, for himself, other than playing piano? I'm gonna answer this question realistically because both JY and SA are at the age of 29, and they will have to start make a living for their own self. On my last post, I'm worried that the best option for JY that he will have to go back to Germany, joining the tour orchestra or any other activities to make a living. and how do we get from there to make JY and SA getting back together? only our mighty Writer-nim knows! 

For SA, i believe she will do well on her graduation exam. Altho she will not make it to graduate program (and she doesn't have to), I believe she still can make it to apply for any local orchestra, now that she got her Bachelor Degree from Music University. Or, if SA knows and admit to explore her best talent of herself, she could find a job at organizing music show (please, I believe there are any other than Kyunghoo foundation in South Korea, rite?). It's up to SA, but I'm not really worried about our girl, since we have already seen that once she set her mind, she will walk firmly upon her decision. 

Out of topic decision, since DYLB is a genre of melo-drama, is there any other melo-drama that have a happy ending? I know I'm not helping myself, but. I still have to prepared for the worst, tho. (my last melodrama is The Smile Has Left Your Eyes, and i'm loving both the main lead).

• Like 11
  • Love 3

@Jillia I agree, I really dislike when writers do not have a clear trajectory to end the story or thoughtlessly ending a drama, my personal pet peeves are “waking up from a dream” sort of endings. 

But for Do you like Brahms, i felt like the writers had so much thoughtful control over the writing (coughs except 12-14) that it wouldn't be that case if they decided for an open ending.

Or perhaps I love it too much, leaving it open ended feels like the nuanced closure I need for our characters to figure things out in their own time, and live their story. Maybe they will meet again sometime in a distant future. 

Writing this make me feel so damn melancholic about this whole drama already. 

• Like 6
  • Love 8
  • Insightful 1

@Jillia For the last scene , even though a concert would be great I want it to be a JoonSong only scene..

Something like the end of episode 2 maybe ? Just them talking about whatever comes to mind after a satisfying day at work

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhkMOntKaA7WvZ2nws2_5

As unlikely as it maybe after the previous BTS, I wouldn't mind if they adopted a puppy and take it for a walk along the Deoksugung walkway, holding hands of course

• Like 6
  • Love 10

@Jillia I agree with your comments regarding the break up of our dimple couple.  Both needed to grow as individuals in order to be better partners.  If SA can't get to a point where she can be strong and believe in herself then how can she date someone that is famous?   She has to believe that she is "more" than just her aspirations to play music, the last chair in the violin section, DY's girlfriend etc.  

One thing I will say, is that she gave up rather quickly and for her it was not only the pressure of finally realizing that her musical career was never going to be what she hopped for and wanted as well as the doubt surrounding JK and JY's relationship. (I will be very disappointed if she becomes a violin prodigy within the last two episodes 'cause why would they do that and destroy a beautiful example of finding yourself through the loss of your dream...meaning wake up to reality) For her it was a Tsunami of emotions that she could not cope with and the easiest thing for her to do was to cut JY loose- she wanted to go back to a time when she had some emotional control.  However, that time still was not the best time for her - she wasn't the happiest of campers within her music world.  She was still dead last, shamed out of performing, pressured by her family and in secret love with DY/supporting MS's swooning and angst regarding DY.

I hope that what the writer shared with us is SA's complete epiphany that she needs to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch and do a complete life makeover.  Discover a path for music and something else (work) that makes her happy, building self - esteem maybe some Dr. Phil classes on communication and boundaries and strength in vulnerability and for JY putting his foot down and stop saying sorry all of the time.  He said it to everyone, over and over again trying to make everyone happy, a true people pleaser who needs to say "No" and mean it.  Who needs to let his parents business messes actually fail and let them find ways to figure it out with out him and to play like he wants to play with a darn piano that is repaired and ready for his gut check note...and time for JK to move on from her feelings and controlling behavior.

And finally upon reflection, neither of them have solid-steady healthy relationships with anyone.  They each struggled to create boundaries with their friends and family as well as communicate their most vulnerable feelings with others.  

I'm looking forward to our dimple couple growing up a bit on their own and then meeting again more sophisticated and confident ready to lock lips and give us a concert of love.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 6

Did anyone notice that SA's neck wound from her violin kept getting worse and more noticeable during episode 13?  At the beginning of the drama someone, I think her frenemy/peer, mentioned that the neck bruise/wound was because the violin did not fit properly (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

It was a tough day for SA, unexpected nuggets of truth - comments from Manager Cha at the school meeting regarding planning for after graduation music careers and her description of how many musicians just fade away into the darkness avoiding the light watching from backstage as more successful colleagues take center stage (describing SA during her first concert) 

SA's comments to Manager Cha about envying people that spoke their minds because people that speak their minds speak back and don't allow themselves to be hurt by others' comments and finally her surprise dinner with HH and his thoughts on music and relationships/the loss of JK and it's impact to his future and how the music and his dreams where negatively impacted by the end of the relationship.  Foreshadowing the same situation SA would eventually find herself in relationship or music....

That evening she was putting ointment on her neck and she used the word vanity which I thought was interesting.  Vanity has two definitions:

excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements.
"it flattered his vanity to think I was in love with him"
the quality of being worthless or futile.
"the vanity of human wishes"

I thought it was interesting to see that both definitions actually work in her comments to herself.  

Did anyone notice that the next day when SA went to Professor Duster to tell her that she was resigning as the Chamber Orchestra Secty....her neck wound was just about gone.

The wound was in my opinion just another obvious representation of what was wrong/had been wrong for awhile in her life and when she made a move to break away the physical manifestation of her pain, disappointment, doubt, hurt etc. started to get better...

• Like 9
  • Insightful 9