[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

@ponderings @Jillia To my lovely friends here at the forum and thanks mentioning me.

Sorry I was MIA. I always love seeing your posts and this was a gem of a drama. 

@Jillia Thanks for posting all the classical music. I like it but don't know much songs/who or what works to listen to. This drama and Nodame Cantabile opened up my ears. Plus the great story makes me feel more invested in the muisical works as well.

I was away on vacation (first this year) since Covid. Weird I usually take a lot of them too during the year. Then catching up at work that I had no time to be on the forums. I am on the forums during work time. It has been intense at work I could not dedicate time to be here. TT

Glad that our OTP got back together. They had to throw in some angst. I was glad that ML told his mom to divorce the dad.

When our OTP were performing, they looked so shiny and lovely together. Awww. 

Glad they both graduated and glad they both reunited. Their visuals and wardrobe were stunning especially for the FL. I really liked her feminine but not overly so appropriate wardrobe for her character.

I loved how the former manager told FL she is great and someone who they wanted to work with. YESH! She is a good at reading people.

ML cutting off ties with his professor. So it was a recording piano. Interesting how despite the estrangement, the loyalty of his friends still care and KNEW the video was the ML and NOT the professor.

Sad to see JK grandmother pass away. But good to see the father there a bit more for the daughter and that the grandmother acknowledged he could have left and not stayed. But he did for his daughter. 

I loved that the sis was nice to FL. She noticed her being upset and had a drink with her in her room. So she did with her sis and earlier episodes with her dad. I also liked how she encouraged her to follow her path and just be HAPPY. The performance scene when you see the family see her perform. The usually critical mother was emotional. I liked the sis expression and we already know about the softhearted and empathetic dad.

CEO pal telling MS to comfort our FL at his studio. Awww good job. He cannot comfort her as well as her BFF who was estranged from her. MS repented and realized through it all after really  thinking about it --- FL friendship is so priceless and valuable. Glad they reunited and FL got some much deserved comforting after breaking up with the ML.

Loved the OTP sweet dating scenes, kissing scenes, didn't love the angst but they showed the ebbs and flows of a realistic relationship. No relationship is smooth sailing. Also to see their cheerleaders who were supportive of them! Even JK grandmother (even though she did not know they were broken up briefly). Glad that ML snapped out of it and went to her to tell her he did not want to break up.

Both can talk when they want to and both can not SHARE their feelings and situations. No REAL deep relationship can be fostered WITHOUT real communication. To know they have to be stronger with it. I know with a close pal of mine, we did not communicate once while traveling and it was not great. But we overcame it and now are better friends due to COMMUNICATION (the importance of it). No matter how close, NO ONE can read your mind. (Ok maybe in a drama where the character can read minds? Lol)

Well I need to wrap up and just say --thanks for this lovely forum. See you all around in other forums! Though this is late I did enjoy this drama immensely!

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

45 minutes ago, rafeusjanela said:

It's true, it'll be so different with the deleted scenes, @cherrhys88. Thank you for sharing, @annamchoi. 4 disks are A LOT for deleted scenes. Maybe we'll see more JoonSong moments, including the hug scene that we didn't see. I'm so curious how they'll re-edit the episodes - they already are so nice! Ahhh, if only I had enough spare money to buy it. :tears:

The supposedly 17th and 18th episodes scenes will definitely be included in the blu ray..if only they were shown during the actual airing..btw, is there another hug? I cant seem to remember..thank you!:)

58 minutes ago, cherrhys88 said:

@annamchoi  When I saw that there will be 4 disks for the deleted scenes, I can't help but wonder just how different the drama would be if even half of those were included in the actual airing. Plus they are re-editing the actual drama for the dvd! If only it weren't that expensive!

Huge difference if those deleted scenes were included in the drama while it was airing! Just imagine 4 dics for deleted scenes! thats too much! If only sbs had stretch to at least 20 episodes! Most probably those deleted scenes are included.

Will you be kind enough to update me regarding the DVD version if ever they will make one too.I pre ordered the OST and Dialogue Book set.waiting to be ship.

Thanks!:)

The foursome.♥️

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG5EELxJ7fF/?igshid=l9p0nug3xt64

Embedding IG post still having issues .

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Thank you so so much for sharing, @Jillia! I appreciate it a lot. 

Oh, @annamchoi the hug scene I'm referring to is in the photo taken when they were hugging in front of Kyunghoo (Joon Young was wearing white while Song Ah was wearing cream)! It was in the spoiler picture that was taken down when it was posted in DCGall. 

Ah, they're so cute in the IG post you embedded. I'll miss those 4 leads. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

@annamchoi omg yes while we still got our dimple reunion those little tidbit scenes would have been great to see if we had 18. 

@Sky8lue thank you for sharing the epilogue. It was as lovely as our joonsong. 

@Sneha if you do decide to write count me in. Reading more fanfic will help ease the withdrawal somewhat.

@cherrhys88 omg 4 disks of deleted scenes. I'm super tempted to yolo and get it but it'd be such a waste if I can't understand it. Am I allowed to ask for voluntary subbing help here? 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

Guys, what if we do group share?? We could split the cost. One person who has blue ray could get it. What do you all think

Why didnt Sbs after seeing it was a hit increase the run time. O mean romantic kim season2 was a little bit longer than one hour

I guess they want to make money.  I am surprised with demand so high for the blue ray that why not the sell a DVD version with a less expensive. People would run. I would buy it

@debbsthebee I honestly do have few ideas. i will let you know when something is out.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

@annamchoi I'm hoping for a dvd version as well. I'll share it here if I see any updates.

@debbsthebeeThe cost and it being unsubbed are certainly deal breakers. But with all these tidbits of information, it is rather tempting to just go for it. 

@Sneha  I'm hoping for the cost to be lowered if in case the second batch will really push thru. I mean for sure, they will have a huge demand for it. A lot of people are already suggesting group buys but how it will done is always the dilemma. Like some says blu-ray copy can't be easily uploaded or copied, so they don't know how to go about it as a group. 

• Like 3
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 2

@cherrhys88 I know it would be struggle on how do it. Hopefully the price goes down significantly because my parents would be upset with me if I spent so much money. Let's see. Fingers crossed. Also hopefully they produce a DVD version because I dont have blue ray. My hope is we all get to watch it. 

Ugh if only they extended the viewing time. I feel all the imbalance, continuity issues could have been dealt. I am still upset about founding out there were 18 episodes. Really Sbs is trying to make money because those love this show love it very much. Okay that is my rant.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, rafeusjanela said:

Thank you so so much for sharing, @Jillia! I appreciate it a lot. 

Oh, @annamchoi the hug scene I'm referring to is in the photo taken when they were hugging in front of Kyunghoo (Joon Young was wearing white while Song Ah was wearing cream)! It was in the spoiler picture that was taken down when it was posted in DCGall. 

Ah, they're so cute in the IG post you embedded. I'll miss those 4 leads. 

Oh yeah! The one that got deleted..same clothes as both were walking along the palace wall.I remember! I was giddy with that spoiler pic(maybe included in the blu ray) anyways we got another hug scene where JY will go on tour(setting:JY's apartelle) and he kinda noticed that SA is sad..(shes wearing a pink dress)

We will miss the foursome..specially SA and JY.

13 minutes ago, cherrhys88 said:

@annamchoi I'm hoping for a dvd version as well. I'll share it here if I see any updates.

@debbsthebeeThe cost and it being unsubbed are certainly deal breakers. But with all these tidbits of information, it is rather tempting to just go for it. 

Thank you.much appreciated.

28 minutes ago, debbsthebee said:

@annamchoi omg yes while we still got our dimple reunion those little tidbit scenes would have been great to see if we had 18. 

@Sky8lue thank you for sharing the epilogue. It was as lovely as our joonsong. 

@Sneha if you do decide to write count me in. Reading more fanfic will help ease the withdrawal somewhat.

@cherrhys88 omg 4 disks of deleted scenes. I'm super tempted to yolo and get it but it'd be such a waste if I can't understand it. Am I allowed to ask for voluntary subbing help here? 

Those tid bit scenes after recomciling  could had been stretched more!

• Like 10

2 more episodes !:anguished:

As much as I love the fluff , I won't mind even if it's Dimple Couple longing for each other like in the Deoksugung walkway .. 

It did feel like the story drew away from our OTP in the second half , even though I understand it is to show their individual growing pains .

@Jillia thank you for sharing the gif of Joon Yong keeping the handkerchief close to his heart ! It was one of my favourite underrated JY moments ( along with him telling Team leader Cha about him and SA and also, laughing to himself when SA though he was asking for the violin instead of the handkerchief)

• Like 8
  • Love 2

On 10/27/2020 at 1:25 PM, Jillia said:

@rafeusjanela @annamchoi @rozelan and everyone, you're all welcome! :D

All the kisses! We really got blessed with kisses in this drama.

Yum! Although the other kisses may be more sexy the ice cream kiss...those back muscles:heart2beat:

I mean even the back of his head looks sexy!!! I was so pleased that even though they were reserved characters they did give us some realistic intimate scenes. So much more fun to watch when they respond that way

Edited by Jillia
Please reply outside the quote, thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

The above is a 3-tweet thread by @/shjsky (twitter). Please click on the tweet for a full translation of the news article.

Papago auto-translation of PEB's Vogue interview (http://www.vogue.co.kr/2020/10/29/박은빈에게-귀를-기울이면/) set out below:

"Park Eun-bin's white, slender fingers had calluses. It is a hard change that occurs only to those who consistently and persistently play sensitive instruments from birth. If you neglect it for a week, it will disappear like a mirage. The callus is called a medal for those who play string instruments. In Do you like Brahms?, Park plays Chae Song-ah, a music student who wants to become a violinist, and she plays all the songs herself without a band. For six months on end, the tiny fingernails, which had been cut closely, had become smaller.

In fact, the actor didn't have to play that far. There are stunt actors for action scenes and bands for these professional dramas. Park had played the violin when she was young, but she had to learn the scales first. "That's right. No one in the production team expected this much, and I didn't think it would work. It's hard to get into position with a violin. I tested CG at first, but it was impossible to change my face because my face was so close to the violin. From the moment I found out, my skills really improved (laughs)." I stood in front of the camera three months after I caught the violin, and now, six months later, I'm listening to Chae Song-ah and Park Eun-bin's violin skills improve with my eyes as if I'm watching the growth of a child actor in a seasonal drama. "I was interested in playing the violin at first, and I wanted to be good at it. When I also felt that the actor wasn't playing in other works, my immersion was broken." The callus on the fingertips told me a lot about how Park Eun-bin was acting.

All of the songs Chae Song-ah plays in the play were actually practised by Park Eun-bin. If she felt something in common, she sensed Park's taste. "My first favorite song was 'Violin Concerto' by Mendelssohn. I've always wanted to play it since I was young. The melody was beautiful and sad, but it just felt like it was falling on my chest. It's hard to practice any song, so I took it for granted, but later I realized that it's a song that even major students find difficult. Bach's "Chaconne" was also one of the most difficult songs that I thought was simply bow-burning. The same was true of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto. It was all an illusion from my ignorance," I wondered what the steady actor was thinking when I saw him let go of his hand from the instrument at the end of every violin performance. "For Park Eun-bin, did you do it right? Will the teacher say okay?' I'm thinking (laughing. Now I feel a little more comfortable and I'm trying to express my feelings. Thinking about what song it is makes me look natural and my eyebrows are distorted."

Do you like Brahms? has a different breath from the current drama, in which several people have died or have been exposed to hidden family history even after going to the bathroom. Even though some parts of life are compressed, the breathing and emotions are slow and slow like the actual speed of our emotions. Many emotions remain in Park Eun-bin's eyes without being verbally exposed or volatile. "The 80 percent of the eyes I made were determined not to miss the emotional line. Instead of speaking less, I talk a lot with my heart. That's why my eyes naturally follow my heart. We have a lot of abbreviations in our script." "It's a piece that has to express the emotions of lava well." This is an important point given by the price of the shortlist performance.

A lot more below (it's a very long article!):

Spoiler

In the middle of youth, it is emotions that build up among the four main characters. Though they collapse, fall apart, and become empty, their feelings toward each other build up like blocks. What can never be tolerated in this world is sneezing and the laughter of those in love. Jun-young (played by Kim Min-jae) and Song-a keep smiling just by looking at their faces. "It doesn't say 'laugh together' on the fingerprint. There were definitely a lot of fingerprints like 'Awkwardness' and 'Awkwardness'. I thought that being awkward and awkward was the point. When I acted like that, Minjae and I worked well together. There were a lot of scenes where we were satisfied with each other. There is also a scene where Park Eun-bin was excited. "Was it the sixth episode? I didn't mean to confess, but the moment I saw my face, I filmed a scene that was flowing out of control. I had my hand on my heart, but I felt a lot of heart beating myself."

In fact, I started watching this drama after hearing Park Eun-bin's character description on a radio program. The host asked back, "Isn't it boring if it's good?" and Park answered, "In fact, we're all like that." Park Eun-bin pronounced 'ordinary person' and 'ordinary person' in a bravely. "I felt that Song-ah was a man of energy who forced others to tell stories. I thought I should be a speaker, a listener, an observer. I think I wanted to cheer for all the Song-Ahs in the world, and I wanted to support my life through Song-Ah." And I continued to speak with the calm voice that I heard on the radio. "I like nice people. I wanted to be a good person, never lived a bad life, and I'm glad I'm called a good person. But that's why I feel like I'm always taking tests. I haven't found the answer yet. It's an era of craving for Sprite. You want to retort when someone says something, but I never do. In fact, most people live with patience. He takes pictures of himself with regret and grows up thinking he's lucky to hold it in. Song-ah is not a stuffy person, but rather a person who has the power.”

She also spoke of his unrequited love for Brahms' life. "I like consistent people. They have inner firmness. People who stick to their own things, whatever it is, and live just firmly in their direction. In that sense, it's amazing that Brahms has loved Clara all her life. Brahms became famous for his unrequited love because it's that difficult. "Is it possible to have unwavering, consistent, and unswerving love?" Of course, this actor, who has 25 years of experience this year, clearly distinguishes between drama and reality. I also know the psychology of not wanting to see reality in dramas. "People who see her may like her because she's similar to them, but they may hate her because she's similar. So I thought a lot about it. I thought the drama itself was less stressful than ever. The atmosphere on the set, the staff, and the fellow actors all liked it, so we always smiled. But I couldn't sleep as much as when I was shooting a movie. I couldn't sleep well and woke up quickly and woke up in the morning. He must have felt burdened apart from his thoughts."

Do you like Brahms?, except that it shows a soft, flustered feeling, actually reveals a cold stare. In some fields, talent can never be overcome by effort, and just because you like it, you can't do it all. The moment you face a reality that you don't want to face is revealed without wrapping or putting a buffer. Actors are also considered desperate for talent that is given only to a small number of chosen people. I wondered how often the girl, who started her career as a child's clothing model at the age of five and debuted two years later in the drama "White Night 3.98," had to open her cold eyes to gain confidence in herself. "When I was a kid, I was the one who wanted to do it, not my parents. So I did my best. But I'm really introverted. At some point, I was confused about whether an actor would suit my aptitude when I saw someone around my age who was full of talent, sociable, and seemed to enjoy acting. At that time, a senior artist advised me that I have a much more capable personality and I have the potential to act. I believed that if I sublimated my feelings into acting, it would open up a better way, and I could spend difficult moments with that belief. Sometimes I think about what it would have been like to be a born actor, but I think I have no choice but to work hard in my own way."

There are 45 dramas that have appeared until the age of 19. Actor Park Eun-bin's filmography is vast and extensive. It is Park Eun-bin's power not to collide with her real age, age of her character, and personality of her character. When he was 22 years old, he played Heo Jun's wife Da-hee Ah-si in "Guam Heo-jun," showing the entire life of a woman until her old age, and Song Ji-won in "Age of Youth" who was picked as the opposite of herself, remained a life character. And now people recognize Park Eun-bin just by hearing her voice. In the Stove League, "You crossed the line!" You scream like a thunderbolt, but in Do you like Brahms?, even if she confesses "I like you" , Park does not disappear. Especially, over the past few years, I have made my work more exciting because it's Park Eun-bin. When asked about the work that became a turning point, Park chose "The Door of Secrets" without hesitation. "I found it an interesting and valuable experience as an actor to play the role of Hyegyeonggung Hong and develop my character. I learned how to put more than what was given in the script. Thanks to that experience, I was able to experiment with my limits in "Age of Youth." Ever since I was young, I had a sense of self-efficacy that I thought I could do well in whatever I did. In "Youth Age," I felt that the viewers liked it as much as I tried, so I gained confidence.”

Now she says the process is more important than the result. When asked if he is an "entertainment fairy," he corrects that the modifier from the "Stove League" is not old. "Honestly, do you like Stove League, Brahms?All of these are works that I wanted to do regardless of the result. There have been some works that have not been done well, so I may have calmed down, but the process is important to me. Even if the results were good, it could be festering on its own and it wouldn't be a box office hit, but it could be a good movie. I hope that I can leave meaning to someone if I work on my work without being too happy. I'll choose what I want to do in the future, but I'll also consider how it can affect the viewers.”

Park tends to objectify herself when talking about acting. This is how it's like this. "I'm also watching you act life, not me. For example, I think every moment I feel that 'Songa knows how to make that expression' makes me continue acting." To Park Eun-bin, acting seems like a process of learning about life. Listening to her story, the character she played unfolds on a screen in the air. "I try to rule out the idea of 'what would have been like if it were Park Eun-bin' when I acted. I added my personal opinion and thought, "Park Eunbin wouldn't have done that." Sometimes, I think that role and combination are blocked. That's why I can tell that it's not Park Eun-bin but Song-ah's face. That's a lot of fun." It's not a method acting, but rather a switch to turn off and turn on the character switch. It sounds like he is running a "bucca." When asked to choose a rich hopeful, Song Ji-won of "Youth Age" comes back. "I was very shy at first because I was a character at the opposite point when I was acting. I was like, "What's wrong with him?" But we got closer and more comfortable through season 1 and 2 for 2 years. I have a lot of embarrassing moments as Park Eunbin. If I think about turning on Song Ji-won's mode when I feel embarrassed and want to run away, I think I'm going to be confident." When I'm in the work, Park Eun-bin saves energy like a squirrel that collects acorns. "A character like that needs a lot of energy and often calms down. When I don't act, I can use all my energy for myself and come back to me. I think that's how she lives." When she turns on Park Eun-bin's switch, she reveals that she has never felt bored or felt lonely. "Have a good time alone. I couldn't have felt lonely in the first place. My mom has developed the power to stand on my own feet without relying on anyone." Because of occupational diseases, I think, "How can I express my Korean work if I did it?" When I want to rest completely, I watch Hollywood actors' SF movies or Marvel series. I don't imagine myself in a Marvel movie. "I don't want to do it (laughs). I want to keep their world separate." Private Park Eun-bin can't become a YouTuber due to lack of content, and she's happy alone, but it's more fun when she laughs and talks with the staff on the set.

The music that resonated at the moment of intense life remains a medium of remembrance over time. Schumann's "Troemera" will bring about a moment like the light green air this year. Like 'dreaming' and 'fantasy'. "I'm with Song-ah for three seasons, spring, summer, and fall, and it smells like rain. It rained a lot because of the typhoon, and it contains a lot of metaphor in the drama. I also think that the feeling of rain is similar to that of Song-ah, who is 29 years old. I think white will come to mind over time. I used white violin case, but white suits me best. 'My 29-year-old was in line with Song-ah.'

The reason why Song-ah likes the violin is revealed in the last episode. "Violin is a two-legged instrument. The part that matches my body and I can breathe with the instrument is difficult and good. Even if it's the same song, the interpretation is different depending on the person who plays it and the bow is different. The sound changes depending on the movement of the body. There is a violin, and it's not played by a person, but it's like a person and a violin are resonating together. That's why I started to like the violin."

After answering, Park raised her body and looked at me in the eye and asked, "Would I have answered enough?" It was time to go back to Chae Song-ah. There was still a fourth episode left. The wind was cold and the blue sky was dazzling, but somehow it was late autumn with the smell of rain.

(For PEB's stunning photoshoot and the original text in Hangul, please visit the URL stated above.)

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 6

Love all the small details in the drama. Re-watching it for in ththe 3rd time, still love the nuances in the drama. Looking at it again, JY is the more smitten in my opinion, so use to bottling his feelings and he was the hardest hit when the relation goes haywire, no emotional support group whereas SA has her family and friends to get her through the break-up. My heart goes to JY more during the break-up.

Just now, rafeusjanela said:

SBS really is not making us move on; thankful for the additional video though. :wub:

Definitely so

Currently watching Cdrama too, other than Start-up, but DYLB still lingers in my heart. :)

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Sneha said:

Can they release deleted scenes instead :dissapointed_relieved:

That would be great! But I don't think they will do that because for sure those who bought or pre-ordered the blu-rays won't be happy with that. As for me, I wish it's an epilogue episode. Wishful thinking I know! :D

• Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Wiggle 1