Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
larus

[Current Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요? - Mon & Tue @ 22:00 KST

Isnt 15 years long enough to make JK realized at the current time that she does love JY??! But instead choose HH and became lovers for 7 years.I find it ironic.

JK suddenly becoming insecure and full of angst since SA came into picture and became friends with JY.

I just  hope JY 's denial of romantic relationship with SA is to protect her from vicious rumours and people but not because he doesnt like her.in the first place, he was the one who asked  for her friendship.

I feel that SA will be suffering a lot of pain and hurt as long as JK is still around.

I wish JY will protect SA at all cost  and cherish her whole heartedly.

• Like 12

@larrysouth

I adored she was actually struggling. Don't we all somehow know the feeling when about to confess to someone. Or even just do something very important or get something off our chest. :D I enjoyed Park Eun Bin's acting here a lot. I felt for her.

@annamchoi

I think Joon Young will definitely cherish Song Ah. We don't need to worry about that. But it will just take a bit for him to bring his own house in order. :D

1600170282.gif

Source: DCGall, credit as labeled

• Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

@Jillia LOL, I confessed to my wife in a bowling alley.  I was as smooth as broken glass and I think I sweated about a quart of perspiration in about 5 minutes during that confession.  What was I even thinking?

However, kudos to SA for plucking up the courage to confess.  I agree Park Eun Bin is a phenomenal actress.

• Like 7
  • Love 4

The confession scene clip came out

@Kimsungrin I agree with @Jillia great observation of JY running after JK and later running after SA (despite being surrounded by fans.)

@larrysouth Welcome to the forum and thanks for your male POV and actually sharing your own person story. I love it and looking forward to your future entries.

I agree that JY has alot and the pinky swear though childish was cute. I mean both are dating newbies so it was appropriate though childish and cute on their parts. I agree their relationship is NOt deep enough for him to share the nitty gritty of his life with her. But frankly I know that it all depends on the two people involved. You can be close and share everything quickly (if feeling comfortable) and those you have known for forever barely know you WELL . So I admit that can be true.

JK wanting to know the answer from JY on what he feels seeing her after learning from his mom --her constant financial support ALL these years. Gosh poor JY.  Then her to be jealous seeing he wrote SA name on three post its. Sigh. Saying enduring is hard and to go to her when ready. I feel she BARELY endured as he requested. Sigh. 

As seeing a future episode pics, oooh they will  have sweet moments our OTP. I do feel on the boat that HN is the gossip person  not JK. JK is  not in school. Plus if spread around in school HN is TOP candidate. She was jealous when she thought SA had not talked to a professor to do grad school and looked plenty jealous AGAIN at SA. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

And the circle closed! In this story, very courageous girls, all three had the courage to speak honestly about their feelings, but the heroes here are cowards. They hide, try to pretend not to hear, or reject feelings. You noticed that none of the men had the courage to talk openly with the girl. This is a kind of disease they have. I really hope
that JY will not repeat his mistake twice. He does not love SA, because it is impossible to forget so quickly the one he loved for so many years, but SA is not indifferent to him, he really found in her his cozy hiding place from pain and suffering. Therefore, he must at least accept her feelings with dignity. To say so as not to offend, but also not to give vain hope,
because now it's really too early for that.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Do You Like Brahms: Episodes 5-6 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Brahms0506_1.jpg

With summer break nearing a close, change is in the air for all of our characters. Whether it’s the end of an internship, the end of a long-term relationship, or major (and minor) confessions and realizations — there’s no lack of conflicted developments this week.

EPISODES 5-6 WEECAP

Brahms0506_2.jpg

So much happened this week! And yet… it’s all so understated. I continue to really enjoy how this drama can balance being melancholy and dramatic while also being subtle and realistic. Why is this? Because all the emotions we encounter with our characters are so pure — meaning, at their core, they are things we can all relate to. Hope. Friendship. Connection. Alienation. Loneliness. The list goes on!

This week we begin where we left off: at Joon-young’s talk concert, with Jung-kyung suddenly turning up, and causing him to change the piece he planned to play. Joon-young is determined to not encourage Jung-kyung, choosing Chopin over their meaningful Schumann piece — but it doesn’t do much to hold her back. After the concert, she confesses that she loves him, and says she’ll break up with Hyun-ho.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/09/do-you-like-brahms-episodes-5-6-open-thread/

• Like 11

Perfect song to describe the feeling of the ending for JY-HH-JK friendship. 

• LOL 6

6 hours ago, Jillia said:

The good thing is after watching episode 6 and the confession scene... I love that the realization really hit Song Ah but she was brave enough to confess and she doesn't get rejected Joon Young because they needed a cliffhanger to make us wonder whether he will reject her or not. But from the looks of it they will try it out and I'm here for it. :D

I am so in :heart: !!!!! I cant wait!!!!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

@sal2

OMG! It's really perfect... They're a trainwreck of friends in this drama. :lol:

@Kimsungrin

I know right?:wub: I can't wait either. But it's only Thursday tomorrow. We have to wait so long! So we have to soothe ourselves until Monday with gifs. :D

1600223502.gif

Source: DCGall

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Thanks 3

@Jillia ROFL!  Look at the shocked look on those girls faces as he approaches their lunch table.  I cant wait for this scene to materialize during the next episode.  SA's face shows shock, excitement, and fear all in a single glance.  JY equally unsure of himself as he approaches.  After 36 years of marriage, I sometimes forget how about all those wonderful, scary feelings one experiences during first love.  The acting in this series is just so wonderful.

• Like 4
  • Love 5

13 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

@Jillia ROFL!  Look at the shocked look on those girls faces as he approaches their lunch table.  I cant wait for this scene to materialize during the next episode.  SA's face shows shock, excitement, and fear all in a single glance.  JY equally unsure of himself as he approaches.  After 36 years of marriage, I sometimes forget how about all those wonderful, scary feelings one experiences during first love.  The acting in this series is just so wonderful.

When I saw this gif for the first time I thought "OMG! It's a college drama now!". :lol: It's a really a genre-switch right now.

But yes, the acting in this drama is amazing and not in a "in your face" kind of way. It's understated but able to convey all we  need to know about the characters' feelings. :D

EDIT:

They really have fancy china there for a canteen. :lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite JY carrier, money, family and friends problem. I think being around SA will maybe show him how to speak up for himself and also taking charge in his life. I belive she will be a great influence for him as she is very straightforward about her feelings and maybe he gonna learn how to express himself to SA and also other people around him. I can not wait for him to be in a position to tell the world how much he loves SA. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, larrysouth said:

I think those moments..when two people like each other but are not a thing yet, when each heart flutters thinking about the other, all this stage is the most exciting and the most beautiful in a relationship. Just before the relationship starts. Weird, right? Lol

Even tho some couples manage to keep those fluttering moment and are deeply and passionately in love ever after, those moments tend to disappear with time the more you know the person and the more you take for granted the relationship

@Jillia i know right! Time goes so slowly in times like that! We just wednesday but i already try to comfort myself that soon friday comes and so the weekend and then monday lol..i am reaching

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I was watching Ep 6 and thinking, wow, Kim Minjae has really grown up since I first saw him wherever it was, I don’t even remember now. And then I checked his age: still only 23. He always plays so much older than his age! And he can carry it too.

so where is the preview?

• Like 6

Wow! I left off from page 20 and I needed to catch up on the 8 pages. I see some new people! Welcome welcome!! :hooray:

First and foremost, @Nodame and @Jillia thank you so much for reading my long post about my observations on ep5. Side note: my responses are going to cross over to what happened in ep6, too.

Nodame, I definitely see the crossover parallels between the portrayals of friendship in ROY and this drama. In this particular case, JK's grandmother thinks and believes she's creating a balance among the friends, BUT she's clearly creating competition and it doesn't help that the friendship is falling apart. The road ahead is definitely going to be wonky. Also JK's grandmother is very business minded. Although JY insisted on returning the money (because he volunteered to play the piano in ep2), JK's grandmother gave the money, clearly wanting to draw the boundary between him and her. That is why she will never empathize with JY on how heavy it is for him to play on that piano. In the real life, the constraints of capitalism harshly affects the way we live more than we think. 

As Jillia mentions, money creates a sense of security, but it doesn't guarantee happiness. Our main leads are having trouble in some ways under the name of money. Love your example of HH feeling nervous and turning away from the computer before reading his result. His family poured money into his musical studies and he wants to be in a U.S. orchestra because it pays more. The writer clearly states that a musical career doesn't always provide stability. JY's situation is so heartbreaking. He's maxed out on loans and basically as he says, "He's a penniless pianist." :tears:

On 9/15/2020 at 1:40 AM, Nodame said:

MS was brave to confess to CEO Yoon but he continued to reject her. He is consistent. When the student care to fix her violin , he mentioned knowing SA, but the parent never heard of her. Of course we know she is not one with money /connected/or talented. So nice CEO Yoon said but she is pretty. ( I wonder his harboring a liking to her too and avoiding saying anything thanks to MS? Plus he went to the military too. )

I definitely think DY harbors a crush on SA because ep2, he inevitably said, "I love you" and later tells her to say it 3 times to the violin. I think it was his sheepish way of indirectly saying "I love you" to SA.

Even when HH visited DY asked what's wrong (referring to the cello), HH seemed fazed and DY instantly knew something was up with HH's personal life. DY is quite sensitive and observant in his own way. Even when JK visited for rosin, he knew something was up. 

The rosin was symbolic that JK's broken. She teared up belatedly. (This scene was done so well by the actress. I felt her confused pain)It proves that she did love HH. She's currently confusing her friendship with JY for love. This girl's so lost. 

@adla does a great job in explaining the confusing feelings JK harbors. (See in collapsed spoiler)

Spoiler

I feel like JK might have really liked HH at first when they started dating, cause compared to JY who is very mellow and not expressive of his joy and stuff with her, HH was like a breath of fresh air with his carefree and playful and joyful character. But i guess as all of them drifted apart due to their respective careers, i think the charm that first attracted her to HH faded, while what remained with her was the Traumerei CDs that JY kept sending her for her birthday. And finally when she saw JY at his concert in New york i think her feelings of loneliness as well as jealousy over his success in the classical music work as compared to her's kind of sent her over the rails and made her kiss him, leading to the whole mess we see before us now.

-------

Last thoughts on ep 5, I found it fascinating that both breakups paralleled each other. MS confessed and DY pretended he didn't hear it. JK said to break up and HH pretended he didn't hear it and she had to say it again. When people are in denial of reality, they tend to be stuck in their own mind. 

---------

@gracebkk Thank you for sharing the English translation to what we're expecting for the second half of the episode. I love how the producer explained how he started the narrative and built it from there. It further emphasizes how much thought was put into the drama. Also, thank you so much for sharing the MV to Taeyeon's OST. I love it so much!!! especially when Kim Min Jae plays the piano for the background music!!! Ahh so wonderful. 

Spoiler

In a way, Kim Min Jae taking on the role of Joon Young blurs the line between his real life and on screen life. He himself has a lot of talent; he knows how to rap and play the piano (even before preparing for this role). 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1165469wpp/kim-min-jae-reveals-inspired-switch-career-paths-music-acting

And in this interview, he explained his time as a trainee, "The only two things I could say at that time were 'Thank you' and 'I'm sorry.' I couldn't express my thoughts the way I wanted, and I didn't have freedom." 

It reflects upon the character of JY who is a man of few words.

(Also, if anyone's stuck on their path to pursuing their dream, listen to his rap ft. Younha called Dream for the The Big Hit OST. It's very inspiring and motivating. 

@vangsweetie637 Your commentary on JK and GIFs are always on point. hahaha

@rukizie Thanks for your hard work on live recapping!! 

@SakuraC There's definitely something up with the female professor who's suddenly nice to SA. I believe the professor's going to get SA to play in the chamber orchestra. Also, both you and @adla explained why JY feels burdened with the piano so well. I'll also like to add that he's also lost his passion for playing music. I have a feeling that he will eventually find his passion again as he moves away from his trio crew and meets up with SA more. 

@ck1Oz You're a champion for scrapping ambitions on your child to study medicine or law because of kdramas. I think any field is tough and has its own set of problems. As you mentioned, the athletes, the teachers, musicians, delivers, and petrol kiosks attendants. I think at the end of the day, it's best cultivate a child's curiosity and lead the child to where they want to be. We all don't have the answers but if a child finds what they love to do it won't feel like they're working even for a day. 

--------

My favorite part in ep 6. I appreciate your time in recapping ep 6, Nodame.

19 hours ago, Nodame said:

SA kindly talking to Jiwon ‘s mom about competing and to allow her to flourish and enjoy the instrument and process. It was great as she is seeing too many resent their instruments losing the joy they had with their instrument of choice.

SA always has to hear so much negativity, but her resilience led her to this moment when she can encourage and inspire Jiwon's mom. This will forever be my favorite part because she definitely was shining bright. 

Most of you have mentioned that JY has a lot on his plate. I agree with @Jillia's perspective on why JY wouldn't explain his situation to SA. That's why he went to HH who's known him for so long and he doesn't have to explain his story. He's always doing things for others and I'm pretty sure he's emotionally exhausted. 

@larrysouth loving your anecdote of confessing and I love how you're reminded of the feelings one experience during first love.

Jillia, your screen grab of the confession was :crazy: :tears: I felt SA trembling while uttering her confession. Oh my. I wish I was brave enough to have confessed to my college crush. Oh well. I'll just indulge myself in JY and SA hahahaha :lol:

-----

My long post is in response to the wonderful conversations in this thread. I'm enjoying the presence of everyone here!

-----

@tulip06

The preview: @shazai shared it on page 23 and @SakuraC shared detailed translations crediting to Joey on Youtube on page 25

• Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

@ponderings @Nodame

I like your observations about the rosin. :D It reminds me of how the string of Song Ah's violin broke when Joon Young closed the piano. A interesting double symbolism maybe? The string breaking after Song Ah found out about Min Sung and Dong Yoon and Joon Young closing the piano which he doesn't love.

I like how the writer and PD use those little things to tell the story about hearts being/getting broken.

1600314570.gif

Also, excellent that you mentioned that Joon Young DID go to Hyun Ho to talk to him about his problems. I mean he didn't really think he and Hyun Ho have any issues while Hyun Ho already went through the breakup and thinks Joon Young is part of the reason for it.:crazy:

And yes, Jung Kyung is definitely mistaking her feelings for Joon Young for love. I just wish I could sympathize with her more. She going through a lot with her grandmother and the expectations. But just because she feels insecure doesn't give her the right to antagonize Song Ah or force herself on Joon Young emotionally. I wish she had a little more depth than that. :D

• Like 7
  • Love 1

@Jillia Awww thanks. Definitely agree about the rosin/string breaking. So true.

Sad that the only person JY feels close and at east to share his probs HH, the latter is uneasy due to their warped relationship thanks to JK.

Yeah, JK is definitely needing company and support etc. When JK was sad and recounting how reliable HH was with her. She prob did like him in the beginning and he approached her. Knowing more about JY and JK, it NEVER was an easy relationship. For JY wanting to be friends with her as thanks for her grandmother and the loss of her mom due to the Foundation allowed him to play piano. It was unbalanced from the beginning. Feelings blossoming is not unheard of with emotions, lots of time together and attractive people togerher. So that is not surprising. But HE NEVER was at ease with JK with the power dynamics and over money. Now more than ever finding out what he did from his mom does not make it easier at all for him. Plus his feelings starting for another, he is getting a realization he is moving away from JK (one sided crush/obsession or whatever you call it.) Though JY doesn't share much with SA now verbally, he is already soothed by her company and smiles when seeing her. Already that is alot and wanting to see her when no feeling well. From the get go helping her at that practice. Then the situations they met up organically airport, seeing her with no umbrella, and her seeing him  playing piano when she thought she got the rehearsal room. (Other dramas I find it TOO much here it was more natural and organic. )

Clips fo their SOME moments of their relationship per the Video title LOL

EDIT: this BTS posted

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

On 9/16/2020 at 2:34 PM, Jillia said:

I mean thinking about it I think it's pretty normal that Joon Young doesn't open up about his financial struggles to Song Ah whom he doesn't know for long but also neither to Jung Kyung or Hyun Ho.

With the last 2 he got his own problems right now, Jung Kyung especially. So to come around with something other than what is going on emotionally would be probably weird. And Hyun Ho didn't really give off the vibes in their last meetings that he is willing to listen to what Joon Young is struggling with.

But overall I think we can all relate to Joon Young. First of all he doesn't want to burden Song Ah, Jung Kyung or Hyun Ho but also financial problems/debt is not necessarily something people are going to their friends with. It's connected with a lot of shame. And nobody really wants to ask their friends for money or at least understanding and support. And Joon Young comes across as someone who feels like he must solve all those issues on his own. Also because he doesn't want to even more rely financially on others, like he relies on the foundation.

Wow that’s such a good point... when watching ep 5 and 6 I really felt his heaviness and shame in being indebted to the foundation, to the director and to JK. It’s sucks for him bec he developed feelings for JK but it is forever tainted by the fact that he plays her late mum’s piano and the family’s foundation supports him. It’s complicated by the fact that his best friend loves her and they have been dating for years. Poor guy! he has his pride (The Korean word for pride is pretty much like their dignity right) too and It’s so hard for him to open up and share. money issues are always tricky and in many cultures  associated with shame. What more in front of the person you like (SA)... so I do understand why he holds back. Looking forward to SA being the one to encourage him to learn to communicate, to lean on others and not to endure all by himself as he has done all these years... his piano playing reflects how he works to please others, and he needs to Learn to play for his own pleasure and try not to please everyone to grow as a Musician (and a person) like the Maestro told him. But he feels like he can’t bec he has debts to pay ($$), and repay (foundation support). 

as for JK I feel like I have seen this kind of relationship before... like ppl who dated as students and while the for fun relationship was ok when studying... it didn’t translate into an adult relationship that was leading to marriage. And they’ve been Tog so Long it’s hard to break out of the group dynamics, and no one wants to hurt HH bec he is such a singleminded and sweet puppy! HH prob pursued JK for years. Maybe she thought she’s give him a chance since JY didn’t make a move for years. For HH and JK, I feel like Sometimes after many many years the relationship goes stagnant... bec a childhood/ campus couple r/S doesn’t necc translate into a marriageable kind of r/s. 

As for why she didn’t make things clear to JY earlier, my Guess is (1) most ppl take a Long time to figure out their feelings, (2) ppl are scared to rock the boat and lose the friendship (3) there’s the question of HH. He struck first while JY was stuck between his work /obligations/ shame and his heart, and also in his voice over he admitted he did not want to face the face that he loved her (till HH ans JK started dating).

she may have missed the timing to finally break up with HH and pursue JY... but hey, some of us have been there. Doesn’t make the pain any less or the desperation (“enduring is hard, don’t take too Long and come to me...”)  any less real! 

hope I don’t get roasted!!! not making excuses for jK’s meddling ways and frustrating moves on JY and SA... just appreciating the writer’s characterisation and detailed observation of relationships. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

Hi guys....new here....and falling head over heels for this beautiful introverted drama and I really want to know if there are eng subs for behind the scenes and interviews of them coz I love their chemistry:fullofhearts:

• Like 3
  • Love 2