[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

@illay Hmm... Grandma's driver seems to be in his 40s or 50s, so might be old enough to be Jang Hak-su, assuming Jang Hak-su has not died in Mujin valley previously.

Yes, I didn't think the rangers' objection should carry much weight. As such, wonder why the project stalled for 28 years.

To be fair, the only scene from past previews that we've not seen is KHJ opening his eyes. SYG shouting his name into the walkie-talkie was only found in the MV for "Yours". Perhaps it'll be shown soon.

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

:1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1): What a lovely discussion.  Question among questions. I've also been rewatching the earlier episodes including the teasers, searching for something that have not been shown yet (I did see something but it's too heart-wrenching for me to watch.)

Great work for the writer. Some viewers  are really involved passionately searching for the answers.  I even found some discussion on YT :approves: 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

9 hours ago, illay said:

Too many names all of you mentioned in the discussion ...I don't know who is who anymore :ph34r:

Agree to that.  I used the casts faces on AsianWiki HERE to help me identify them.  

9 hours ago, illay said:

That lottery girl LOL...no wonder She keeps on popping out on the screen unnecessary. I remember someone here even suspected her. It turned out She contribute for LYS story.

Is it unlucky or what...

1. Lost the ticket.

2. Hurt her leg.

3. Left alone, got help but now have to face with another bad incident.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

@YongZura⁷ I disagree. The lottery girl has to be the luckiest person I know... to have lost her lottery ticket and still be able to find it intact a year later! Whatever material the lottery ticket is printed on, I will definitely make a killing selling it! :D

As for questions upon questions, that's half the fun! I remember watching 3Days during its broadcast, and the drama thread was filled with wild speculations as we looked for clues regarding the spy in the midst of the Secret Service, even to the point of analysing the patterns of ties worn by the agents, and staring very suspiciously at an agent with shifty eyes in particular, who ended up being quite innocent as it turned out :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Okay @liddi in that perspective she is lucky to have found it :blush:  (I'm also interested to know the material used..hmmm)

Did you know I was so worried when she took out the ticket from her pocket ... and I remember saying to myself .. "Oh, oh is the ticket going to be blown into the river now?" "Did she  "zipped" her pocket? :lol: etc etc.

• LOL 2

7 hours ago, liddi said:

Remember that trophies that the killer collected from the different killings were scattered across the cave, including Sgt. Kim's military tags which KHJ caught a glimpse of but went missing later.

Whoa... I never thought of the shelter as a treasure cave of the killer! Great observation! Those were military tags? I thought they were prayer beads!

I had similar theories with @illay, that is the 5 volunteer guides were for the cable car project but village chief unilaterally rejected it. I also kind of think that what village kid saw that night were their torch lights. There's 5 of them and with 5 torches, from afar it would look like ghost lights. Remember the kid followed the lights instead of running away from them.

I do however think that they did not throw the carcass into the well. Rather, the culprit was actually village chief, using a dirty tactic to shift the blame to cable car guy. However the plan backfired because it kinda led to the death of his wife.

But did it?

Because I think wife is still alive and living her life as.... lady hiker! Hehe... Why else would she steadfastly pray for him at the temple all these years? I mean, she has to be from that village too. Why else would she know about that shelter? She was found alive (but weak). Maybe she too wanted to leave the village  and faked her death? Or maybe the husband beat her up to blame it on cable guy (again). After all the husband did not seem to join the search for his wife. Although, my crappy guess doesn't really make any sense because we saw the rangers wearing mourning suits. Surely they went to her wake right?

And then we found a body hanged to a tree. Never saw the face, but we assume it is village chief since the kid was crying and we later saw a his name hanged to a pole sort of like a grave marker. We didn't see kid cry after the wife supposedly died. Is kid even their spawn?

Thus, my guess is there wasn't really any murderer in 1991. But somebody thought otherwise and is bent on revenge against 5 volunteer guides and hikers.

And then we have the 1995 incident. Maybe another person is extracting revenge against the flood survivors - for leaving the flood victims to their death? SYG herself is a suspect hehe... the other one could be old hiker couple's kids (grandma's driver?) or grandkids (could be anyone, did not recall their names).

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

@dzareth Very interesting take on the identity of the lady hiker! But you're right. Since they went to the wake, there should presumably be a body... not sure how she could have pulled that off. As for the lights, I believe little Kim Sol only saw 1 light the first time, which he ran away from, not towards. The 2nd time he saw the lights was during his mother's wake when he was sitting up on the tree... 2 lights first, then 1. 

It makes sense if they were taking revenge on the 5 volunteer guides / flood survivors, particularly if those men had anything to do with the scare tactics that led to the exodus from the village. However, it still does not explain why ranger Kim was targeted through his son Sgt Kim, seeing he stayed behind and perished with the rest of the flood victims. I think that is what really stumped me... why Sgt Kim was a victim. 

We were never shown the tags in the cave, only the chain. However, KHJ was very much drawn to the sight and came back to search for it in vain. Later, he told SYG that the reason he initially returned to the mountains after Sgt Kim's death was because Sgt Kim's military dog tags were missing, and he wanted to look for it and return them to his family.

Wonder if there are any additional scenes that we have not seen in the Ep1-4 special. Hmm... 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

While re-watching a few episodes I've noticed more of the rangers' attire etc. Well, they never wanted to give us the answers clearly  so... the gloves and the shoes for mountaineering activities worn by the killer are not that distinctive :glasses:  - SYG also have worn more than two pairs as she should.

(These are just samples. It also depends on the weather etc)

prod.jpg?&f=400x400

prod.jpg?&f=400x400

Two more days to get a sneak peek maybe....

• Insightful 1

Finally a sneak peek

Will we really get to know what really happened there?  

"We only clean things up so it's hard to know the details.  Also, we didn't even live in the village"

That's cold.

Did HJ changed his mind about the connection with the current cases? Or did he have a hunch about KS?

Credit to the owner

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

@YongZura⁷ Good job analysing the ranger attire! If nothing else, it again affirms the clue that the killer is someone with access to ranger gear, among whom is my favourite historical researcher suspect :P I haven't found the time to go back to the Ep1-4 special... which supposedly has additional scenes. Would we find more clues there? Hmm...

Thank you for the sneak peek. Yup... looks like KHJ is diverting his attention to Black Bridge village again. Could it be because he caught a glimpse of Sgt. Kim's dog tags while hiding out in the shelter previously? Unfortunately, the sneak peek is stingy with the 1991 details, so we have not learnt anything beyond what we already know so far. Ep13, come quickly!

The drama extended version of "Little Garden" MV:

Memories studio live version:

• Insightful 1

@dzarethEp1-4 special highlights is available on iQIYI here. My very quick glance shows it's pretty much a summary of what happened in Eps1-4. I read somewhere that there are supposed to be additional scenes in the highlight... but I haven't watched to confirm. Do let us know if you see any!

From the released stills, looks like KHJ approached Choi Il-man's wife for more information...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There is also  Midseason Recap on YT 1-8 and one of the interesting thing is HJ also has a full pair of black gloves (that i just realised) :glasses: We can see him giving SYG a bottle of water when he started to get to know her.  So... it's something common too.

Credit to the owner

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

This is just coming into my mind. When HJ's spirit could talk to the herb collector, why didn't he just reveal the culprit name to YG? thing will resolve quickly lol. Is there any possibility that even until now He doesn't know who the culprit is? 

• Love 1
  • Insightful 2

@illay I think so. It makes no sense that he won't reveal the name of the killer if he knew. In which case, the investigation now falls on SYG, with KHJ only providing information about the visions he gets? We have unaired footage of SYG crying out his name over the walkie-talkie. However, seeing he cannot touch anything that is not native to the mountain, I am not sure how he would be able to respond...

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1