[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

Ok.. No, HJ havenot wake up from his coma tonite. Totally expected the flood incident was the episode going trough but didnt expect that it will continue next week. Sigh...

With only four episode left.. Does it only left with the last two episodes for the revelation? Really want to see them living as today. 

For tonite episode,

When the scene continue from YG n HJ in the cave, and seeing them reaching the emergency station seems disconnected. Too refreshing, too clean.. Traces of exhaustion from overnight escaping the mountain seems gone. For sure, they should have been dirty, disheveled and very glad to reach the camp. But, they do not. Did they stop somewhere to get change and rest? I don't think so.. lol. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Sometimes I wonder whether I'm watching the same drama with all of you :surprisedwut: I definitely missed something .....  and we are still missing a lot of pieces of this puzzle.  

@liddi Why haven't any one of them suspect Kim Sol? He was our main suspect because of the cruel event that happened to his parents and the other Black Bridge villagers.  Not even the slightest doubt? Plus he knows about the sign, he was the one who explained about it right?

When SYG suspected the commander ,she did a detail search comparing all the dates but this time she suspected JGT just because she saw him on that day.  I wonder whether he was actually just went to mourn for his loss. (The writer really knows how to make me want to know what really happened)

Next preview

Oh BTW, why didn't they start moving to a safer place once they heard the alarm?  Feel like everyone was waiting for an announcement / instruction first before they started running for their lives. I meant they should know first the main area to assemble whenever they hear the alarm. (It was really a scary moment)

Credit to the owner

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

I think they will wait until the last week (likely Episode 15) to reveal who's the serial killer(s).

Even now, Kim Sol may not even be the one (although I am pretty certain he's one of the two), given the red herrings thrown to us in the past few episodes.

But Dae Jin, Gu Yeong, and perhaps Il Hae can be ruled out by now.

Edited by Newbie21SG
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Meanwhile, tvN’s “Jirisan” defended its position at first place in its time slot across all cable channels with an average nationwide rating of 8.1 percent, marking a rise in viewership from its previous episode the night before. “Jirisan” also took first place in its time slot across all cable channels among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 4.0 percent.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/chimera-achieves-its-highest-ratings-yet-jirisan-sees-increase-in-ratings/#ixzz7DZU2NqlI

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, backstreetboysfan said:

It does appear that the first 2 episodes will remain the highest episodes of the entire series, due to the huge anticipation and unique theme (of mountain rangers). But it is obvious that many have lost interest in the show and abandoned it over the past 5 weeks since its debut. 

This is in contrast to Signal, with its increasing rating and peaking at 12.544% in the Finale.

And I have to say I enjoyed watching Signal a lot more, despite its parallel timeline and intriguing storyline. 

@YongZura⁷ The reason Kim Sol has not been suspected yet is probably twofold. For starters, the deaths were always passed off as accidents of one kind or another, which made it difficult to tell who was targeted, and who had a genuine accident. The only reason KHJ and SYG could pinpoint the deaths is due to his visions. In addition, we don't know how well-known Kim Sol's ties to Black Bridge village are among the rangers. Even if it were known, they would still need to understand the past of each victim and their potential link to the 1991 incident, which in turn might lead back to Kim Sol. As of Aug 2019, KHJ who does know Kim Sol's past and the identity of the victims, is focused on their link to the 1995 floods, not Black Bridge village. We don't know if he ever mentioned meeting Kim Sol at Black Bridge valley shelter to SYG. Even if he did, unless he (and by extension we) does identify the connection between the 2 incidents, I doubt Kim Sol will be suspected for now. Certainly, SYG does not appear to suspect him in present day.

@Newbie21SG Interesting point about Kim Sol being one of two. If he were, do you think he has recruited another accomplice? If indeed that were the case, it is likely that we might have both of them working in tandem that day - one targeting LYS and the other redirecting the bus carrying SYG's grandma after removing the sign that warned of the collapsed road.

Either way, we are still no closer to knowing who the 1991 perpetrator is. Another possibility occurred to me. Could that person be working with Kim Sol in present day, having somehow convinced the younger man to join him without letting him know that he was responsible for all that happened in Black Bridge village? Questions questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like JGY was in the mountain bc all this time he is still mourning for YS. Maybe YS's body was never found and he is still looking for her.

I still believe KS is still the present day killer (2018 onwards). As for the one with gloves in 1991, I am totally out of ideas on who that could be. It's not JDJ, not the former chief and not cable car guy either. 

@liddi it really does look like there are 2 killers, and it seems they might know each other (i mean the "accidents" in the mountains are highly publicised so and if they are working independently I would either of them will be intrigued to find out of the other deaths that they are not responsible for)

I can't quite figure out what is it that will connect both of themn I am convinced the ones Kim Sol is going after are those who had something to do with Black Bird Village and perhaps the other one goes after those involved in the 1995 floods (and the ones in the notebook are involved in 1995...was the old lady in the notebook too? I cant seem to remember, there were 5 right? 1-soldier, 3- volunteer rangers from 1995, 1 - LYS). I also can't understand why the son of Kim Nam Sik will be targetted and where does YS fit in all of this. His father is not a volunteeer ranger too right? so perhaps it has something to do with her mom?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This series is making me realise that I'm a bad detective hahaaa... You know, it even crossed my mind that the killings were dan by YG - like having a split personality thing - especially since JJHyun rarely play an antagonist, but then she can't possibly be in different places at the same time.

I'm also in doubt whether KS is the real murderer or another red herring. He does have motive to kill cable car guy but what about the former local volunteers? And if I recall correctly, what he saw during childhood look more like lights from a torch than ghost lights. And who actually contaminated the well? And who is the black-gloved confronting missing/dead village lady in 1991? Is he likely to convince SW to be an accomplice? Why was YS scratched out the list initially?

As for what we currently know about GY, unless he too is linked to the black village, I think he is innocent too.It seems that something happened to YS that summer, so maybe on the day of DW's disappearance, he was merely going to places to remember her?

If the motive is revenge, why was Pvt HS also killed? What vandetta does he/she have with HS's dad KNS?

I too noticed that weird focus on grandma's driver. Why???

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

@NhicarT  I never thought of it that way, but if they really never found LYS's body, how devastating it would be for JGY, with no closure in sight :tears: It would definitely explain why he was on the mountain, but if so, why won't he just say so when asked. The other possibility, as @dzareth mentioned, is that he is going back to locations they've been to reminisce about happier times they spent together.

The first 6 deaths KHJ saw were committed by LSW under the instructions of the mastermind (presumably Kim Sol). If so, all these victims should be related, but in what way? Granny Geum-rye is definitely linked to Black Bridge village but not the flood for now. The only ties we know so far of Sgt Kim, Kim Jin-deok, Lee Jong-gu and Choi Il-man are to the 1995 flood. Assuming SYG's grandma was targeted, that would confirm the connection to the flood. In which case, who is LYS related to since she was on the targeted list? The elderly man who died was Lee Hyun-sik, while his wife was Jeong Mi-ja. Was it her paternal or maternal grandfather who kept the potato bombs? I have no clue. 

A breakdown of those related to the 1995 floods that we know of thus far:

Evacuees

Park Jae-il              student
Han Cheon-yung     student
Lee Joo-hee           student
Lee Jong-gu           volunteer ranger  (victim #3)
Kim Jin-deok          volunteer ranger  (victim #4)
Choi Il-man            volunteer ranger  (victim #5)

Jo Dae-jin              ranger

Mujin Station Victims
Seo Yung-jin       resident
Yoon Su-mi         resident
Lee Hyun-sik      hiker
Jeong Mi-ja        hiker
Kim Nam-sik       ranger     (son Sgt Kim was victim #1)

Nonetheless, we also know that Jang Hak-su, originally of Black Bridge village, was one of the volunteer rangers in 1995 too, though not among the evacuees and victims in Mujin station. Was he the herb collector Mr Jang who died in Mujin valley? Likewise, the hiker at Baektogol was one of the students who survived. Yet neither he nor Capt. Jo have been targeted, at least not yet. 

If indeed one of the killers is Kim Sol, why target those in the 1995 flood, an incident that happened when he was a child? In what way does the flood affect him? Answers juseyo, KEH-nim.

• Awesome 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Newbie21SG said:

It does appear that the first 2 episodes will remain the highest episodes of the entire series, due to the huge anticipation and unique theme (of mountain rangers). But it is obvious that many have lost interest in the show and abandoned it over the past 5 weeks since its debut. 

This is in contrast to Signal, with its increasing rating and peaking at 12.544% in the Finale.

And I have to say I enjoyed watching Signal a lot more, despite its parallel timeline and intriguing storyline. 

Yeah it could be, but I hope it goes up again.

• Like 2

@liddi, can you translate all names in the photo? HJ only focused on 5, but I feel like the Black Bridge murderer is one of them. Unless all of them have died.

I'm think towards the end they will all suspect KSol, but he will be targeted - maybe whatever he saw when he was a kid materialised again (unless he wasn't that kid).

Do we know who is the rescued lady, the one who wrote the Black Bridge chief's name at the temple? The chief's wife died right?

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

@dzareth Are you referring to the photo of the Haedong volunteer rangers? I translated it previously (hopefully I got the names right). KHJ only homed in on the 3 whose deaths he saw, but paid no attention to the rest. We have not had any confirmation whether the rest are still alive, but my suspicions are that Hwang Gil-yong and Jang Hak-su are the Mr Hwang and Mr Jang whom our favourite herb collector/KHJ's messenger mentioned as those who died or almost died after seeing KHJ's spirit.

FEuiQRFVcAI3_E0?format=jpg&name=medium

Yes, Kim Sol's mother died after she was finally found. We have no clue yet who the lady hiker is, nor her relationship with Kim Sol's father. It is interesting that she was brought to Black Bridge valley shelter instead of being killed off there and then. Why is that? Could it be because she was someone he knew? Speaking of which, noticed that the shoes of the one who kidnapped her were similar to what Kim Sol was wearing in 2020 when he found SYG collapsed by the steps. Are the shoes standard issue for the rangers or is this more than just a mere coincidence? 

What a fascinating idea! It never occurred to me, but Kim Sol ending up as a victim would be a massive twist for sure, and would be interesting to see that play out. Can't wait to see what unfolds next!

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2

@liddi ok so from the pic the ones who are not yet dead (or no one has mentioned about them are)

Kim Woo Seok

Lee Jae Sook

Lee Jeon Woo

Yoo Heong Su

Both YS and DW are surnamed Lee, it would be crazy if the 2 volunteers from 1995 were their fathers. I mean they did not die in 1995 (don't know for sure if they are still alive now or if perhaps they died of natural causes so the killer is going after their daughters).

The present day cop from Haedong is named Kim Woong Soon (maybe he is the son of Kim Woo Seok?) their name sounds the same so maybe they are related. And dont you find it strange that the police seem to not make any good leads about the accidents. Maybe the cop was the one who planted JDJ's gloves with DW. I don't know how he came to hate the volunteer rangers but if my theory is right that he is the ranger's son then he must have something against the ones from 1995. And I have no idea yet how and why he's potentially conniving with Kim Sol.

That leaves one unaccounted for 1995 ranger: Yoo Heung Su. Maybe he was the killer in 1991. If he was though its kinda weird that he will take in/sow the seeds of hatred to Kim Sol and the cop (assuming he is part of the villain group). And why would he want to kill the members of the volunteer group (or anyone closely associated to them)

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3

@NhicarT Why did KEH choose such common surnames like Lee and Kim for the characters, making it so challenging to pinpoint anyone that stands out :crazy: 

It is possible that LYS' father was one of the volunteer rangers back in 1995, hence her being targeted. As for LDW, I am more inclined to think that she was killed because she was helping SYG set up sensor cameras where the markers are laid. Come to think of it, who knew of SYG and KHJ's secret regarding the markers apart from those who were in the room when she spoke of it back in Ep1 - Capt Jo, JGY, LDW and the two rangers (Hwang Joo-ho and Jin-hyung) who checked the marker while searching for LDW - none of whom appear suspicious so far. Officer Kim had alibis during various times when the killer struck, though that would not mean much if there are indeed 2 killers working together.

To conclude, no confirmation yet how many killers there are... nor their identity and motivations. Gah!

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

On 11/28/2021 at 10:42 PM, liddi said:

Just based solely on instinct unbacked by any actual evidence, my latest suspect is the driver who helped SYG's grandmother bring food to the rangers at the makeshift office, simply because we are given some unexpectedly lingering shots of him. Am I overthinking it? Probably :sweatingbullets:

I was like: Why did they need to film this extra cast's  back that long? :sweatingbullets:

Too many names all of you mentioned in the discussion ...I don't know who is who anymore :ph34r:

This is just my theory, I think the volunteer rangers involved in black valley village case. Probably they were in charge for throwing the dead pig into the well and playing with the flashlight to scare the residents. Although Kim Sol's Father was the village head, I don't think He discussed the decision to accept or not accept the cable car project with the rest. It's just his own will. I bet some of the resident wanted to move because they would get money for the replacement. So these volunteer rangers (which some of them are also the black valley resident) made a plan on their will or (might be ordered by the investor) to scare the resident. 

About the kidnapping of Kim Sol's mother, this one may be a pure criminality or these volunteer rangers also involved but they actually didn't have intention to kill her. Thing just went out of their calculation. I tend to go with the first option though. The writer can just introduces any new cast later as the killer.(or maybe it's the bus driver? lol)

Kim Sol probably think that these volunteer rangers are the one who killed his mother and in the end made his father suicided so He took revenge to them.

Hyun Joo's friend was killed because his father has passed away so He becomes the target instead.

Just as what discussed before, Geum Rye Grandma & ....?  were killed because they are considered neglected his father and move with other residents.

Yang Geun Tak is killed because He is the idea maker of the cable car development.

Now the remaining unresolved reason is LYS. Maybe as what @liddi said that one of the unidentified people on the photo is LYS's father.

Anyway, about the woman saved in the cave, Did the killer bring her to the cave? Is there any possibility She is the killer in 1991? maybe it's all about one side romance toward Kim Sol's father ? Something like if your wife is dead I probably can have you. I know I am going too far :sweatingbullets:

That lottery girl LOL...no wonder She keeps on popping out on the screen unnecessary. I remember someone here even suspected her. It turned out She contribute for LYS story.

This is unnecessary but the last episode is hard to watch because it's too dark  (mostly filmed at the night).

• Like 1
  • Awesome 3

@illay There is a myriad of characters indeed, though my suspicions still lie with the key ones who get more screentime than usual. I think Jang Hak-su (whom we saw talking to Granny Geum-rye back in 1991 by the river) would be a person of interest. Is he grandma's driver? Perhaps we will see grandma's driver ending up dead next or smirking as he puts on his black gloves? :P My poor head...

Love how you are linking the 1991 and 1995 incidents! Very plausible scenario indeed. It is very likely the Black Bridge village residents who later became Haedong village volunteer rangers were the ones who wanted to move but were frustrated by KJG's refusal to accept the relocation plans. They could then be the ones to use scare tactics to force him and his wife to leave. However, either way, I cannot explain why Sgt Kim was targeted since his father was a proper ranger in 1995. Could he have been among the rangers who searched for Kim Sol's mother? Nothing in Ep10 seems to indicate it. Besides, would the killer actually go so far as to target rangers who failed to find Kim Sol's mother in time (which would then include Capt. Jo and ex-chief Kim)? Or was Sgt Kim's father a Black Bridge village resident who moved out along with everyone else in 1991 too? Getting ahead of myself here, but if the bus SYG's grandma took was really targeted by the killer, is it because one or more of the former Black Bridge village residents were on board? No idea yet.

From what we can deduce, the lady hiker was brought to Black Bridge valley shelter by the killer. Remember that trophies that the killer collected from the different killings were scattered across the cave, including Sgt. Kim's military tags which KHJ caught a glimpse of but went missing later. I don't know why she was spared. However, one thing strikes me - her yearly prayers for KJG. Why is that? Is she a family member or friend, or a former Black Bridge village resident? Could she be harbouring guilt from the 1991 incident, which she might have been a part of?

We still don't know why the cable car project was stalled for 28 years after Black Bridge village was finally vacated with the death of Kim Sol's father. Could it have been caused by ex-chief Kim and Capt. Jo's objections after everything that happened? Is it even possible to stop a project on those grounds? Or was KJGs death the clincher? 

4 episodes to go and still so many questions. How many will be answered, and how many more questions will arise after this week? :sweatingbullets:

• Insightful 1

@liddi I just re-read your post  above and realized Sgt.Kim's father is a proper Ranger.

Isn't the driver too young to be Jang Hak Su?

About the cable car project, in my opinion, ex-chief Kim & Capt. Jo didn't have enough power yet at that time to object. 

Anyway..the production team have deceived us twice so far about the preview which actually not included yet on the actual episodes. First when Yi Gang shouted Hyun Joo name through walkie talkie and second, when Hyun Joo opened his eyes. Such a dirty trick :sweatingbullets:

• Like 3