[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

You need 8 weeks of patience to get thru such drama series.  All the clues are everywhere, and eventually it all got pieced together. I wish people will be more patient and enjoy the series each week! Regardless of the ratings, i'm still enjoying it :)

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

On November 21, tvN’s “Jirisan” earned an average nationwide rating of 8.3 percent, marking a modest increase in viewership from its previous episode the night before. The drama remained first place in its time slot across all cable channels among all viewers, and it also took first place across all channels—including public broadcast networks—among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 4.0 percent.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/jirisan-ratings-rise-chimera-hits-new-all-time-high/#ixzz7Cutk95ef

• Like 4

“Jirisan” Ratings Rise + “Chimera” Hits New All-Time High

Nov 22, 2021
by E. Cha

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Several dramas saw their viewership ratings rise last night!

On November 21, tvN’s “Jirisan” earned an average nationwide rating of 8.3 percent, marking a modest increase in viewership from its previous episode the night before. The drama remained first place in its time slot across all cable channels among all viewers, and it also took first place across all channels—including public broadcast networks—among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 4.0 percent.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, illay said:

Left questions:

1. who is the killer in 1991?

2. On the preview, Hyun Joo said: "Why are they together?" probably indicating Kim Sol with someone else.

1. It's a very weird idea but I kinda think it's the former chief. He was probably working for cable car guy. When he confronted Cable Car guy when he was handing out flyers he probably meant he did not want innocent people to be killed again

2. (Was it Hyun Jo who spoke that line? I thought it was Il Hae and he was referring to JDJ and GY on why were they together in the restricted trail when DW was killed). I rewatched the teaser and it was indeed HJ who said that and it seemed it was after someone was rescued (maybe the one he had a new premonition in the cave). It must be the victim and Kim Sol and he's wondering why they were together.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@NhicarT Ex-chief Kim definitely knows the terrain well enough to move around with ease if he had to sneak about covertly sabotaging the village. Nonetheless, would he go as far as to kill Kim Sol's father, if indeed it was murder? Come to think of it, YGT got exactly what he wanted after the death of KJG back in 1991. In which case, why didn't his cable car plans materialise and he had to try again 28 years later? Was it at the objections of ex-chief Kim and Capt. Jo? 

Perhaps Kim Sol has recruited a new accomplice after the death of LSW. I can't imagine why any of the rangers we know would collude with him in murder though. To date, we still don't know what motivated LSW to join him either. Questions questions.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Somehow this episode reminds me of our own local stories searching for lost people in the forest -  some  people were "hidden" from our naked eyes and sometimes might be found a few days later.

I think for this case, it's not because of mystic. The killer hid the woman and released her near the tree several days later.

2 hours ago, liddi said:

@YongZura⁷  I am curious about the identity of the gloved man in 1991. Was it YGT? Yet it seems a little convenient that he was so easily disposed off by 2020. Assuming, Kim Sol's father was murdered rather than committed suicide due to being the last person standing between the cable car plans, was it possible that little Kim Sol caught sight of his father's killer at the time? If so, is our present day killer now hunting down the killer from 1991 as well? 

If YGT is the killer in 1991, what is the reason the development of the cable car was canceled? The assassination of the woman becomes useless at this point.

6 hours ago, paolaadl said:

I can't wait to see this scene! So Hyun Jo is the kind of man who actually remembers special dates, so cuuuute!!! 

The needle and the thread of Jirisan :wub:

"today's our one-year anniversary."

He said it as if it's a love relationship anniversary :lol:. I am curious for the scene When He put his jacket on her. As usual, YG is expressionless 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

@liddi yeah he probably wont go as far as killing the Kim Sol's mom or dad. But there's just something about the way his younger self acts that makes me suspect him. Maybe he was not the 1991 gloved guy. BTW, I have another theory on how LSW and KS git to work together. After KS was orphaned maybe he was adopted by LSW's parents? Or if not adopted as kids, KS, LSW and LYS are close. LSW's parents died in the flood too and he blame the rangers for it. So now LSW and KS has something in common (hate for the rangers bc they both felt the rangers did not save their parents). And I think YS was included in the hitlist bc she decided to be a ranger herself. It maybe kinda felt being betrayed by your closest friends by getting into the side of who you treat as the bad guys.

@illay I have 2 guesses, 1) it was the true mountain spirits which caused the cable car project to be halted. Like the workers got spooked or something 2) there's some connection with the floods in 95 which killed Yigang's parents. Maybe bc they had cut too many trees to give way to cable car posts or did some digging in the mountaina for the project which made the floods worsen. Maybe that was what put the cable car project to be stopped. In the preview someone was on the voice over with "we have to tell them what happened there" and it sounded like either JDJ or ex-Chief Kim and the voice over was when they were showing the flood scene. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

16 hours ago, liddi said:

@paolaadl You're right. Scenes from 29s onwards have not aired yet. It does look like KHJ regained consciousness, but I don't know whether it is just a physical reflex, and his spirit is still trapped on the mountains.

@illay The following are the identity of the victims that we know of so far. (1) to (6) are from LSW's list:

1. Sgt. Kim Hyeon-su  (local, link unknown)

2. Seo Geum-ja  (link unknown)

3. Lee Jong-gu  (Haedong Village volunteer ranger)

4. Kim Jin-deok  (Haedong Village volunteer ranger)

5. Granny Geum-rye  (former Black Bridge villager)

6. Choi Il-man  (Haedong Village volunteer ranger)

7. Lee Yang-sun  (link unknown)

8. Kang Hyun-jo  (closing on the killer)

9. Yang Geun-tak  (president of Mt. Jiri cable car promotion committee)

10. Mr. Jang, herb collector, died in Mujin valley  (Jang Hak-su, former Black Bridge villager, Haedong Village volunteer ranger?)

11. Gi-yeong, herb collector, died in Oerae valley  (link unknown)

12. Mr. Hwang, herb collector, almost died in Jeonmukgol  (Hwang Gil-yong, Haedong Village volunteer ranger?)

so, anyone who tries to profit from / rob Mount Jiri is going to be killed?

Dawon and KHJ are the 14th and 15th killed (assuming Yang-Sun is the 13th). But those two were outsiders, right?

• Like 1

@Blizzardistkaputt  i think its not just anyone who wants to make profit but it seems the targets had some connection Kim Sol's old village.

I think KHJ started to be a target when he went to LSW to confront him about the potato bomb. He's a risk for KS as he is getting closer and closer to finding the killer so he became a target. DW probably became a target bc of the investigations she's been doing in the forest.

• Like 2

Ep 10! I think it is one of the best episodes yet. Non-stop action with 3 timelines!!!! and had me guessing ghost lights or moon bear the whole time…and for a good while —  I really couldn’t tell lol 

Whats Up Reaction GIF by Justin 

I am so glad the woman was rescued after the jerk just left her in the last episode. Also, I seriously admire the writing of this show  - the incorporation of the serious issue of how communities are evicted or displace for the sake of development etc. This issue has impacted thousands of people and many times destroying the natural environment too. Using this issue as a plot - I hope more people will consider this issue. 

The lost in the forest is also a real fear of mine - where you go in circles. Nat Geo did an experiment and people who are lost without reference do tend to go in circles! https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/do-lost-people-really-go-round-in-circles 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3

Guys, sorry i have a question, if any of you don't mind to enlighten me .. i am wondering why or what reason for Park il Hae and Go Young, also went to the Black Village and luckily Yigang and Hyunjo met them. 

I mean, Il hae an Goyoung they haven't know about the missing person, so they didn't go there because of an order, did they go because of Yangsun told Goyoung that Yigang and Hyunjo haven't been back such late, thus they both worry and volunteer to go find Yigang and Hyunjo? 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

@Li22.55 It should be the latter. SYG had texted PIH and JGY previously about their plans to patrol Black Bridge Valley. Since LYS knew PIH and JGY went to Black Bridge Valley, it is possible she was the one who told them that SYG and KHJ had not returned after so long and had no radio contact, which is why the two men set out in search for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @liddi it makes me sadder though that their friendship will not lasted long. And even with grumpy Go Young in 2020, i still can't hate or dislike him yet.. even with the Chief Jo Dae Jin, i can't feel angry at him yet.. maybe later then if one of them is also the culprit, and after knowing what reason made them that evil, i would get angry at them. 

But right now, the way the 4 or them Yigang, Hyun Jo, Goyoung, Il hae, last eps when they got the message of a case, they quickly go and leave whatever they were doing, it make me admire that they indeed good person (until it's proved otherwise later). Even though that Goyoung and Ilhae seemed to often take day off .. hahaa..

And i just wonder, is Yigang that thick to not realize or have a little clue about Hyun Jo's feeling? Or maybe Hyun Jo's attempt is not hard enough to show his feeling :w00t: 

Btw, on preview of eps 11, it seemed that Yigang get accident because her neck is wearing cast, will it be the main accident with Hyun jo getting comatose? Because their clothes seemed were not the winter uniform / the white one. 

• Like 1

Hi. A silent reader here. Been waiting for this drama since last year and i gotta say i love the storyline so far.

despite the mixed reviews (i admit than I’m disappointed with the review given), but i never missed watching this drama since ep 1

jirisan hwaiting!!!

1 hour ago, Sunset said:

I am worried why Yi Gang and JGY not getting along as usual. Is it because he is upset that they went somewhere without telling him why? It does show a lack of trust.

Also,

Have we seen Lee Yang Sun in the present?

I like Yi Gang and JGY friendship. How they always bickering before 2020.

I think their friendship has changed because of Yang Sun? I didn’t notice her at present. Maybe something bad happened to her. Hence, affecting their friendship?

At least at the preview on next episode, we knew Park Il Hae is still alive because I thought he is also one of the victim since I didn’t saw him in 2020 before

Edited by Hajungjihyun
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Hajungjihyun said:

Hi. A silent reader here. Been waiting for this drama since last year and i gotta say i love the storyline so far.

despite the mixed reviews (i admit than I’m disappointed with the review given), but i never missed watching this drama since ep 1

jirisan hwaiting!!!

I like Yi Gang and JGY friendship. How they always bickering before 2020.

I think their friendship has changed because of Yang Sun? I didn’t notice her at present. Maybe something bad happened to her. Hence, affecting their friendship?

At least at the preview on next episode, we knew Park Il Hae is still alive because I thought he is also one of the victim since I didn’t saw him in 2020 before

I second that! Not sure what happen to Yang Sun- did they eventually get married? Did she pass away?  The suspense is sooooo :(

Il-hae- i think he may be working at the HQ cos he can no longer climb the mountains (his knee problem?)

that colleague who found Dawon (sorry, I cannot remember his name up till now lol) - he is always appearing in the  scenes. Maybe his character has a role in this and not just a simple "colleague" bystander?  
cant wait for ep11!!

• Like 2