[Upcoming Drama 2022~2024] Squid Game, 오징어 게임 - Lee Jung Jae- Season 2 premieres in the second half 2024

larus

“Squid Game” Star Heo Sung Tae Talks About Which Scene Was Scariest To Film, Reuniting With Lee Jung Jae In New Movie, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 1, 2021
by E. Cha

Heo Sung Tae dished on his hit series “Squid Game” and more on the latest episode of “My Little Old Boy”!

During the October 31 broadcast of the popular SBS variety show, the “Squid Game” star made a guest appearance as a special MC. After seeing him in person, the celebrity moms cracked up the actor by observing that he looked “less scary” than they had expected based on his performance as the villainous Deok Su in “Squid Game.”

Host Shin Dong Yup asked if he could feel the massive change in his popularity since the release of “Squid Game,” and Heo Sung Tae responded, “Nothing has changed in my everyday life, since I only go back and forth between my home and the filming set. The biggest change is that my Instagram follower count has risen an unbelievable amount.” The show went on to reveal that he had gone from 10,000 followers to over 2.2 million in just one month.

When asked if he would consider joining a real-life “Squid Game” in a hypothetical situation where he had tons of debt and nothing left to live for, Heo Sung Tae replied, “I don’t think I’d be able to. I’d rather just spend the rest of my life paying off the debt. I think I’d be too scared to face death.”

Heo-Sung-Tae.jpg

After starring alongside Lee Jung Jae in “Squid Game,” Heo Sung Tae is reuniting with his co-star as actor-director for the upcoming film “Hunt,” which will mark Lee Jung Jae’s directorial debut. When asked if it felt different working with Lee Jung Jae this time around, Heo Sung Tae shared that they joked around more now that they had gotten closer.

“[During ‘Squid Game’], we mainly just talked so that we could act more comfortably,” he explained. “But now, we even greet each other differently. When I arrive on set, director Lee Jung Jae [jokingly bows] and says, ‘Oh, our global star has arrived!'”

Referencing the way his character addressed Lee Jung Jae’s in “Squid Game,” Heo Sung Tae went on, “Then I’ll [bow back] and say, ‘Ssangmun-dong, why are you being like this?’ We joke around like that. I think we’re getting even closer [as we work on ‘Hunt’].”

Heo-Sung-Tae-2.jpg

Heo Sung Tae also went on to reveal which scene in “Squid Game” was the hardest for him to film.

“I have a really severe fear of heights,” shared the actor. “It’s to the extent where I even have to stay in the middle when I walk on an overpass. So the [glass bridge scene] was really hard for me.”

“[The character of] Deok Su shouldn’t be scared,” he continued, “so I needed to pretend like I wasn’t terrified. But on the inside, I was trembling. Before the cameras started rolling, I’d [hold onto something and quiver in fear]. I’d only act when the cameras were rolling, and then as soon as they yelled ‘Cut,’ I’d go back to [holding onto something and shaking].”

When asked if they had really been that high up for filming, Heo Sung Tae revealed, “One take was filmed really high up, though there were safety measures in place. The rest of the takes were filmed about [3 meters (approximately 10 feet)] above the ground. But even that was scary. That was the scariest scene for me.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1496370wpp/squid-game-star-heo-sung-tae-talks-about-which-scene-was-scariest-to-film-reuniting-with-lee-jung-jae-in-new-movie-and-more

• Like 2

November 6, 2021

'Squid Game' party in Los Angeles

Screen_Shot_2021-11-07_at_12.22.21_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2021-11-07_at_12.22.39_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2021-11-07_at_12.23.02_AM.pn

Spoiler

spacer.png

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2021-11-07_at_12.23.38_AM.pn

On November 6, a large 'Squid Game' party was held in Los Angeles.  Attendees included:  Dir. Hwang Dong Hyuk, Lee Byung Hun, Park Hae Soo, Jung Ho Yeon and Miky Lee, Vice Chairman of CJ Group. 

Photo Source: IG of alatus-deus

• Like 2

November 7, 2021

The "Squid Game' team at LACMA 2021

spacer.png

spacer.png

Screenshot_2021-11-07_at_12.28.21_PM.png

On November 6, the  'Squid Game' team attended the LACMA 2021 gala.  Attendees included:  Dir. Hwang Dong Hyuk, Lee Byung Hun, Lee Jung Jae and Park Hae Soo.  

Source: gettyimages

• Like 2

“Squid Game” Players: A Guide To The Characters And Actors

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 6, 2021
by esmeel

The Korean drama “Squid Game” remains the talk of the town seven weeks after its initial release. Having become Netflix’s most watched TV show to date, it is only fair that we delve deeper into the main characters and the actors that played them in order to get to know them better.

Without further ado, here is a guide to the cast of “Squid Game” that took on player roles!

Warning: minor spoilers ahead.

Player 456 – Seong Gi Hun played by Lee Jung Jae

Sung-Gi-Hoon.jpg

Seong Gi Hun is a divorced father and a gambling addict with a massive amount of debt that keeps weighing down on him and his mother whom he lives with. When he learns that his ex-wife is taking their daughter to the United States, he joins the game for a chance to win the ultimate prize, clear his debts, and regain custody of his daughter.

Spoiler

Lee-Jung-Jae1-768x512.jpg

Lee Jung Jae kickstarted his career in the entertainment industry as a fashion model before he landed his first role in the school drama “Feelings” back in 1994. Throughout the years, he has had many successful movie roles, with “Along With The Gods: The Two Worlds,” “Along With The Gods: The Last 49 Days,” “The Thieves,” and “New World” being some of them, and his latest work to date being “Deliver Us From Evil” before joining the “Squid Game” cast. The actor mainly takes on action and thriller works, and his flawless portrayal in all of them is proof that he is the right choice for the role.

Player 218 – Cho Sang Woo played by Park Hae Soo

Cho-Sang-Woo.jpg

Cho Sang Woo is a Seoul National University alumnus who used to have a respectable job as the team leader of an investment company. Following a series of bad investments that led him to steal from his clients and become wanted by the police, he takes part in the game to settle his colossal debt. There, he reunites with Seong Gi Hun who used to be his upperclassman in high school.

Spoiler

Park-Hae-Soo2.jpg

Park Hae Soo debuted as an actor in 2012 and participated in many dramas and films. Most notably, his role in “Quantum Physics” earned him the Best New Actor award at the 40th Blue Dragon Film Awards. Some of his drama works include “Six Flying Dragons,” “Legend of the Blue Sea,” “Prison Playbook” and more. His most recent work following “Squid Game” is “Chimera,” and he landed a role in the upcoming Korean remake of “Money Heist.” The actor’s excellent acting skills can be spotted throughout his various roles that he plays with equal dedication and genuineness.

Player 067 – Kang Sae Byeok played by Jung Ho Yeon

Spoiler

Kang-Sae-Byeok.jpg

Kang Sae Byeok is a North Korean defector who arrived to South Korea with her brother with a plan to also bring their mother along in their new home. Having lost the money she initially saved up to help her mother cross borders, her only chance to reunite her family is to play the game. Isolated and wary at first, she eventually joins Seong Gi Hun’s team as things start getting out of control.

Spoiler

Jung-Ho-Yeon2-768x512.jpg

Jung Ho Yeon’s portrayal of Kang Sae Byeok was so impressive that viewers would think she’s had quite an established acting career. The truth is, the new actress has been a model for her entire adult life since she started her modeling career in 2010, and she only set foot in the acting world through her role in “Squid Game.” Being the drama’s breakout star, we can only fervently wait for her upcoming roles!

Player 001 – Oh Il Nam played by Oh Young Soo

Spoiler

Oh-Il-Nam-768x480.jpg

Spoiler

Oh-Il-Nam.jpg

Oh Il Nam is the game’s first and oldest player. Unlike the rest of the participants who joined in order to get rid of their burdensome debts, he had a different burden of his own: a brain tumor that is putting his life on countdown. He chooses to live the remaining days of his life as a participant as opposed to awaiting death outside. He is asked by Seong Gi Hun to join their team so that they keep an eye on him from the threats faced inside the building.

Spoiler

Oh-Young-Soo1.jpg

Oh Young Soo is a veteran actor who started as a theatre actor in 1967 and switched to film and television later in his career. He usually takes on monk roles since he is familiar with the role from his Buddhist plays. Some of his memorable monk roles are in “The Great Queen Seondeok” and “God of War.”

Player 199 – Ali Abdul played by Anupam Tripathi

Spoiler

Ali-Abdul.jpeg

Ali Abdul is a Pakistani migrant worker whose boss has been holding back his payment for months. He participates in the game to provide a decent standard of living for his wife and kid. His introduction on the show is memorable, and his first interaction with Seong Gi Hun is simply life-changing. If you don’t know what happened, it’s time to watch the show! No spoilers here!

Spoiler

Anupam-Tripathi1.jpg

Anupam Tripathi is an Indian actor living in Seoul who is currently finishing his master’s degree in acting at Korea National University of Arts. He’s had a handful of minor roles since 2014, but “Squid Game” marks his first main role. The role highlighted his mind-blowing emotional delivery onscreen, and he captivated the audience with his sincerity and devotion in portraying the role of Ali.

Player 101 – Jang Deok Su played by Heo Sung Tae

Spoiler

Jang-Deok-Su.jpg

Jang Deok Su is a criminal who finds himself in a pickle after being caught stealing from his boss. In order to pay his debts and save his life, he takes part in the squid game to win the grand prize. He is the main antagonist of the show, and his presence from the start screams trouble.

Spoiler

Heo-Sung-Tae.png

Heo Sung Tae’s career began with the talent show “Miraculous Audition.” His popularity skyrocketed when he took on the role of Ha Il Soo in the thriller “The Age of Shadows.” He’s had various movies and dramas since then such as “The Outlaws,” “Mal. Mo. E – The Secret Mission,” and “Different Dreams” until he joined the cast of “Squid Game.”

Player 212 – Han Mi Nyeo played by Kim Joo Ryoung

Spoiler

Han-Mi-Nyeo.jpg

Han Mi Nyeo is the female counterpart of Jang Deok Su, an obnoxious and cunning woman whose reason for joining the game was never fully disclosed. The only detail that was revealed about her were her fraud charges, which makes us think she is a con artist. Her presence in the game, despite being despicable, has been momentous for the storyline in unexpected ways.

Spoiler

Kim-Joo-Ryoung.png

Kim Joo Ryoung has been in various films and dramas since 2000, taking on small roles and cameos mostly. She rose to prominence with her edgy and daring role in “Squid Game.” The actress played her role to perfection when she brought the character of Han Mi Nyeo to life, which generated the wanted reaction from the audience.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1495247wpp/squid-game-players-a-guide-to-the-characters-and-actors

Edited by Emily Bett
Please use the spoiler tag for multiple images, thanks!
  • Like 1

November 9, 2021

‘Squid Game’ Creator Confirms Plans for Season Two: “It Will Happen”

"I do have a basic storyline. … It's all in my head — and I am currently in the brainstorming stage," Hwang Dong-hyuk told The Hollywood Reporter.

Screenshot_2021-11-10_at_9.40.44_AM.png

BY CHRIS GARDNER   NOVEMBER 9, 2021 11:38AM

According to Netflix, it “only took 17 days” after its Sept. 17 debut “and 111 million global fans” for the nine-episode series Squid Game to become the streamer’s biggest series ever — and the first to surpass 100 million views. The Korean series dominated the cultural conversation for weeks, enjoyed a high-profile media blitz and inspired countless Halloween costumes, and it did so without the requisite red carpet swirl in L.A. or New York that typically accompanies major series, especially those starring international actors.

That changed Monday night when Netflix rolled out the red carpet at Neuehouse Hollywood for a special screening and Q&A that featured creator Hwang Dong-hyuk and stars Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo and Jung Ho-yeon. Director Hwang was the first to admit that many of the conversations he’s been having since arriving in Los Angeles, particularly with the press, have centered on the same query: When is season two coming?

“I do have a basic storyline for season two — it’s all in my head — and I am currently in the brainstorming stage,” the writer-director told The Hollywood Reporter through a translator. “It will happen, someday, but as for when I cannot tell you the details.”

When reached for comment on the status of season two, a Netflix spokesperson said, “A second season is in discussions, but not confirmed yet.”

Squid Game follows Lee’s character, Seong Gi-hun, after he receives a mysterious invitation to join a game. The invite, which has been sent to 456 participants, welcomes (desperate) individuals from all walks of life only to lock them in a secret location where they compete with one another in a series of traditional Korean children’s games. The consequence of losing is death as the contestants battle it out to win 45.6 billion won in prize money that can pull them out of their misery.

Fans went wild for the series, and Hwang told THR he felt the pressure for another season long before he arrived in Los Angeles. “There was a lot of pressure for season two even when I was in Korea, so I have felt that pressure for a long time. We get on YouTube and see people that have already written season two and season three for us,” he explained with a laugh. “Coming here and really seeing how well-received the show is and how much the fans want it, I have been getting the same question by the press as well.”

Though he would not offer details, he did tease one general theme: “What I can say is that Gi-hun is going to be back, and he will do something for the world.”

Hearing the big plans for his character, Lee said there’s no secret to not spoiling what’s to come, “because I don’t even know what’s going to happen.”

Surely, the plans came up sometime over the weekend as Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s co-chief executive officer and chief content officer, invited the Squid Game cast and creator to share a meal. “Ted Sarandos warmly welcomed us to his home and provided us a wonderful, amazing dinner,” Hwang noted. “So, we really enjoyed that.”

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/squid-game-season-two-netflix-1235044828/

• Like 2

“Squid Game” Director Confirms There Will Be A Second Season

2ae468393d0446eea62d13a96def2408.jpeg?s=

Nov 9, 2021
by C. Hong

On November 8, Netflix’s mega-hit series “Squid Game” held a promotional event in Los Angeles.

In an interview with the Associated Press, Hwang Dong Hyuk, the director and writer of “Squid Game,” confirmed that there would be a second season of the series.

“There’s been a lot of demand and pressure and love for a second season,” he said. “It almost feels like we don’t have a choice. The next season is in my head right now. At this moment, I’m in the planning stages. It’s too early to say when and how it will come out though. But I can promise this. The main character, Gi Hun, will be back and do something for the world.” (The main character, Seong Gi Hun, is played by Lee Jung Jae.)

Although the production staff previously hinted at the possibility of a second season, this is the first time that the director has explicitly stated that he is planning a second season. However, Netflix has yet to confirm whether they will renew the series for another season.

“Squid Game” ranked No. 1 on Netflix’s top 10 rankings of their most popular shows for weeks. According to Variety, it has recorded more than 3 billion minutes watched and is reportedly projected to make Netflix almost $900 million in value. In October, Netflix revealed that 111 million Netflix subscribers around the world had watched the show.

Source (1) (2)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1497754wpp/squid-game-director-confirms-there-will-be-a-second-season

• Like 1

• larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021/2022] Squid Game, 오징어 게임 - Lee Jung Jae & Park Hae-soo- Season 2 confirmed
  • 2 weeks later...

So, everyone is talking about Squid Games 2. I have the plot line:

I recommend the following as a Makjang genre connoisseur 

Surviving Makjang Murder Attempts

1. The stairwell. 
  2. The sidewalk head crush. 
  3. Kiwi, or other fruit allergy.
  4. Seafood allergy. 
  5. Crossing the street. 
  6. Falling down a mountain 
  7. Heating briquette while sleeping 
  8. While sleeping asphyxiation 
  9. Moped or delivery guy knocking you over. 
  10. WHITE TRUCK OF DEATH. 

I am sure the list can be refined. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

• larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2021/2022] Squid Game, 오징어 게임 - Lee Jung Jae- Season 2 confirmed

Wi Ha Joon Reveals His Dream “Squid Game” Season 2 Plotline For His Character, His Ideal Type, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 26, 2021
by E. Cha

In a recent interview and pictorial for The Star magazine, Wi Ha Joon talked about Season 2 of his hit drama “Squid Game,” his ideal type, and more!

The actor, who will be gracing the cover of the magazine’s December issue, recently skyrocketed to global stardom following to his scene-stealing performance in “Squid Game.” Just this month, the rising star made People magazine’s list of the “25 sexiest men on TV”—despite the list focusing almost entirely on American TV.

Commenting on his surging popularity, Wi Ha Joon humbly remarked, “Even now, I still can’t believe that this kind of thing could happen to me. I had the amazing fortune of appearing in a great drama.”

Wi Ha Joon also went on to share his personal hopes for his character in the upcoming second season of “Squid Game.”

“Because my character had to explain things from an observer’s point of view, there were a lot of limits to the emotion [that he could portray],” said the actor. “If I were to imagine Hwang Joon Ho in Season 2, I’d want him to find his brother again and ask him what in the world happened [to him].”

Wi-Ha-Joon-22.jpg

When asked what he considered his greatest strengths as an actor, Wi Ha Joon pondered the question for a long time before finally answering, “The versatility and duality that comes from my physical appearance. And I think I’m pretty good at action scenes.”

As for his ideal type, Wi Ha Joon shared, “I like people who are wise. My dream partner is an admirable person who is strong enough to stand up to those who are strong and who is generous to those who are weak. I think that in order for us to grow and improve, I need to be able to learn a lot from them.”

Wi-Ha-Joon-31.jpg

Wi Ha Joon also opened up about a time in his acting career when he considered giving up altogether.

“There was a time when I kept failing auditions, and my self-confidence dropped to the point where I started wondering, ‘Should I not act?'” he recalled.

“But thanks to the people around me who encouraged me a lot, I gradually became more relaxed, and I now have faith in myself. Since I have a lot of things to show, I want to display even better acting from now on, and I think a lot about what I should do to be able to act for a long time.”

Finally, when asked about his personal goals, Wi Ha Joon revealed, “I want to hear people say, ‘You can always count on Wi Ha Joon’s acting. I want people to feel that I’m a warm person, and I also want to express my feelings and give a lot of love from now on.”

morehttps://www.soompi.com/article/1500527wpp/wi-ha-joon-reveals-his-dream-squid-game-season-2-plotline-for-his-character-his-ideal-type-and-more

• Like 1

Congratulations to the team of Netflix series Squid Game as they won the Breakthrough Series - Long Format (over 40 minutes) award at the 41st GothamAwards.

Squid Game' wins Best Feature Series at 'Gotham Awards'... First Korean work "Miracle"

Enter 2021.11.30. 12:46 PM

0004519320_001_20211130124903389.jpg?type=w430
[Picture] ⓒGetty images

[OSEN = Reporter Jang Woo-young] 'Squid Game' won the Best Feature Series Award at the 'Gotham Awards'. 

Netflix original 'Squid Game' won the 'Breakthrough Series - Long Format (over 40 minutes)' category at the 31st Gotham Awards held on the 30th (Korean time). 

The 'Gotham Awards' is an annual awards ceremony sponsored by the Independent Filmer Project (IFP), the largest independent film support organization in the United States. It is an awards ceremony that kicks off the awards season in the United States, and it is also a place where you can predict the results of awards such as Oscars and Emmys in advance.

'Squid Game', which was selected as the nominee for the best feature-length series in the hot popularity, is the US drama 'The Good Road Bird', 'It's a God', 'Small X', 'The Underground Railroad', 'The White Lotus', etc. competed together. 

'Squid Game' proved its global success by winning the trophy in this category, beating out prominent works. Director Hwang Dong-hyuk, who received the trophy, went on stage with Lee Jung-jae and Jeong Ho-yeon and shared the joy. 

CEO Kim Ji-yeon said, “After it was released on September 17, miraculous things happened, and the most miraculous thing was the great support from all over the world for a small work in Korean. I want to send the biggest thanks to the 'Squid Game' fans around the world. Director Hwang Dong-hyuk seems like a genius, and the staff and actors all showed perfect teamwork in their respective positions.” 

Director Hwang Dong-hyuk said, "Before Jeong Ho-yeon came here, he came up on stage and told me that if the audience thinks naked, they are less nervous. But it doesn't help." "I wrote this book in 2009. Some people said it was too violent and unrealistic, but now it is the most famous work on the planet. Thank you so much and it's amazing. All I can say is thank you. Thank you,” he said.

Meanwhile, Lee Jung-jae, who played the role of Sung Ki-hoon in 'Squid Game', was nominated for the 'Outstanding Performance in a New Series' category, but unfortunately failed to win the award. /elnino8919@osen.co.kr
OSEN = Reporter Jang Woo-young] '

Wooyoung Jang (elnino8919@osen.co.kr)

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/now/article/109/0004519320

• Like 2

“Squid Game” Is The First Korean Drama Awarded At The Gotham Awards With Breakthrough Series Win

“Squid Game” Is The First Korean Drama Awarded At The Gotham Awards With Breakthrough Series Win

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 30, 2021
by D. Kim

“Squid Game” has once again made history!

On November 29 (local time), the ceremony for the 2021 Gotham Awards was held in New York.

“Squid Game” actors Lee Jung Jae and Jung Ho Yeon were in attendance along with the drama’s director Hwang Dong Hyuk and the production company’s CEO Kim Ji Yeon. The drama was nominated for Breakthrough Series – Over 40 Minutes, and Lee Jung Jae was nominated for Outstanding Performance in a New Series.

The “Squid Game” team took the stage as the drama won Breakthrough Series – Over 40 Minutes, making it the first Korean drama to win at the Gotham Awards.

Director Hwang Dong Hyuk shared, “When I wrote this script, it was 2009, 12 years ago. I did my best, but nobody liked it. People said it’s unrealistic, it’s too violent, it’s absurd, it’s weird. It took 12 years to make this show and show it to the people. And it took less than 12 days to become the No. 1 show on the planet.” He continued, “If there’s a miracle, this is a miracle. It happened to me. The only thing I can say is thank you. Thank you for watching it, and thank you for loving it.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1501268wpp/squid-game-is-the-first-korean-drama-awarded-at-the-gotham-awards-with-breakthrough-series-win

Bang Si Hyuk And “Squid Game” Director Hwang Dong Hyuk Named On This Year’s Bloomberg 50

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 2, 2021
by S. Cho

Bang Si Hyuk and “Squid Game” director Hwang Dong Hyuk have made it onto the Bloomberg 50!

The Bloomberg 50 highlights the top 50 people and ideas whose accomplishments have defined global business, entertainment, finance, politics, and science over the past year. This year, the list includes three Koreans – HYBE’s Bang Si Hyuk, director Hwang Dong Hyuk, and Lee Hoe Sung, the chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Listed under the entertainment sector, HYBE founder Bang Si Hyuk was applauded for being “the hitmaker behind BTS” and for his new merger with Ithaca Holdings, which manages Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, and more.

Also under the entertainment section is director and screenwriter Hwang Dong Hyuk, who recently skyrocketed to fame with his hit series “Squid Game.” After being watched by more than 140 million people all over the globe, “Squid Game” is now officially the most-watched series in Netflix history.

Under science and technology is IPCC chair Lee Hoe Sung, who was praised for guiding nearly 200 countries to unanimous agreement that the global temperature had risen 1.1 degrees Celsius (approximately 33.98 degrees Fahrenheit).

https://www.soompi.com/article/1501807wpp/bang-si-hyuk-and-squid-game-director-hwang-dong-hyuk-named-on-this-years-bloomberg-50

Lee Jung Jae, Yoo Ah In, BTS, aespa, Stray Kids, And More Thank Fans And Colleagues In 2021 Asia Artist Awards Daesang Speeches

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 2, 2021
by C. Hong

for why people love us.”

Lee Jung Jae, who won Actor of the Year, said, “Thank you for giving me such a huge award. I think that the success of ‘Squid Game’ is like a miracle. I want to share this honor with the actors and staff I worked with, along with the viewers from all over the world.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1501766wpp/lee-jung-jae-yoo-ah-in-bts-aespa-stray-kids-and-more-thank-fans-and-colleagues-in-2021-asia-artist-awards-daesang-speeches

BTS And “Squid Game” Win At People’s Choice Awards

Dec 8, 2021
by L. Kim

BTS and “Squid Game” received awards at People’s Choice Awards!

People’s Choice Awards 2021 was held on November 7 (local time). This year, BTS won a total of three awards, including “The Song of 2021” with “Butter,” “The Music Video of 2021” with “Butter,” and “The Group of 2021.”

The group took home these awards after competing with many famous Hollywood stars such as Coldplay, Dan + Shay, Jonas Brothers, and Maroon 5.

BTS shared their gratitude to their fans, saying, “We are very happy because all of these awards mean that many people have recognized our efforts. We are so grateful that it is hard to express it in words. We were able to come this far because ARMY [fandom name] was right behind us. Thank you for loving ‘Butter’ so much. Through ‘Butter,’ we wanted to give joy to people who are going through difficult times.”

In addition, “Squid Game,” the hit Netflix series that took the internet by the storm, won “The Bingeworthy Show of 2021.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1502777wpp/bts-and-squid-game-win-at-peoples-choice-awards

Biggest Korean Shows on Netflix in 2021

by Jacob Robinson  @JRobinsonWoN on December 7, 2021, 10:44 am EST 

As we come to the end of 2021, many have already dubbed it as the year that South Korea broke its way into the mainstream throughout the globe. Thanks to hits like Squid Game and Hometown Cha-Cha we’re likely going to see other streamers get in on the trend. Here’s a rundown of the biggest Korean shows on Netflix in 2021.

How are we going to determine the biggest hits? Well, we’re going to do it based on top 10 data and hourly data released by Netflix. It’s not a perfect guide as there is missing data in the case of hourly data but this should give you an overall picture of what’s been trending on Netflix this year out of South Korea.

Note: this data is correct as of December 7th, 2021 – it’ll be updated and adjusted towards the end of 2021.

Squid Game

2021 Top 10 TV Position: #1
Total Hours Viewed Global Top 10s: 2.157 billion hours and still rising

squid game netflix

In a surprise to nobody, Squid Game was undoubtedly the biggest show on Netflix this year to come out of South Korea. Produced solely for Netflix, the project comes from Hwang Dong-hyuk who notably spend a decade trying to get the show produced.

It was a global sensation rocketing up the top 10 charts and being the number 1 show in nearly every region around the world at one point or another. It’s the number 1 Netflix show in 2021 with Lupin coming in second.

The show is notably one of the very few that breaks out in the United States and the United Kingdom. It spent 77 days in the US TV top 10 and 70 days in the UK TV top 10.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/biggest-korean-shows-on-netflix-in-2021/

• Like 1

“Squid Game” Is Only Foreign TV Program To Win A 2021 American Film Institute Award

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 10, 2021
by E. Cha

The American Film Institute has announced the winners of its 2021 AFI Awards, and “Squid Game” was the only foreign TV show among this year’s honorees!

Every year, the American Film Institute (AFI) chooses 10 outstanding movies and 10 outstanding television programs “deemed culturally and artistically representative of this year’s most significant achievements in the art of the moving image” to receive its annual AFI Awards.

The American Film Institute also chose to bestow additional “Special Awards” in order to recognize works of art that did not fall under the AFI Awards’ criteria. As the AFI Awards are intended to specifically honor achievements in American film and television, the Korean series “Squid Game” received an AFI Special Award for 2021—making it the only foreign TV program to receive an AFI Award this year.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1503009wpp/squid-game-wins-special-award-at-2021-american-film-institute-awards

• Like 1

“Squid Game” Receives 3 Nominations For 2022 Golden Globes

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 13, 2021
by C. Hong

On December 13 local time, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced the nominees for their annual Golden Globe Awards.

The nominations for the 2022 Golden Globes were announced in a live ceremony with HPFA president Helen Hoehne and Snoop Dogg. The Golden Globes are one of the major awards shows leading up to the Academy Awards in the United States and awards both television and film.

The Korean drama “Squid Game,” which became Netflix’s most successful series earlier this year, earned three nominations at the 2022 Golden Globes. “Squid Game” is nominated for Best Television Series – Drama alongside “Lupin,” “The Morning Show,” “Pose,” and “Succession.”

Lee Jung Jae is nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama, alongside Brian Cox and Jeremy Strong in “Succession,” Billy Porter in “Pose,” and Omar Sy in “Lupin.”

O Yeong Su (Oh Young Soo) is nominated for Best Supporting Actor – Television alongside Billy Crudup and Mark Duplass in “The Morning Show,” Kieran Culkin in “Succession,” and Brett Goldstein in “Ted Lasso.”

The 79th Golden Globes will be held on January 9, 2022.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1503570wpp/squid-game-receives-3-nominations-for-2022-golden-globes

• Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I love the Squid game the most and because of this, I am curious to gather information online on this series. I am glad I have found this website while searching for the financial advisor business plan online which I have found on this www.ogscapital.com/article/financial-advisor-business-plan/ website. I will surely visit here every time because on this website I can find a lot of information on the Squid game series.

Edited by LeslieJAnderson

Interview

Squid Game’s creator: ‘I’m not that rich. It’s not like Netflix paid me a bonus’

3113.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=form

The smash hit survival drama has earned Netflix £650m. But the stress of making it cost Hwang Dong-hyuk six teeth – and he hasn’t been paid any extra. He reveals the family disaster that inspired his hyper-violent capitalism satire

Hwang Dong-hyuk is laughing at me from his office in Seoul. I’ve just asked the creator of Squid Game, Netflix’s smash hit show, if its astonishing success has made him rich. In the dystopian survival drama, a mysterious organisation challenges 456 players from all walks of life – each deeply in debt – to play a series of children’s games. Win and they go home with 4.6bn won (£28m). Lose and they get a bullet in the head.

Perhaps Hwang is now as rich as the contestant who wins the top prize? “I’m not that rich,” he says. “But I do have enough. I have enough to put food on the table. And it’s not like Netflix is paying me a bonus. Netflix paid me according to the original contract.” That seems unfair. After all, the 50-year-old South Korean film-maker has made hundreds of millions for his paymasters. Squid Game earlier this month overtook Bridgerton as the most successful Netflix show ever. According to leaked documents, the nine-episode run cost £15.5m to produce, which works out at £1.75m per instalment. Its return on that has been extraordinary. The series – which Netflix estimates has been watched by 142m households and boosted its subscriber figures by 4.4m – is thought to be worth £650m to the streaming service.

Perhaps Hwang should have negotiated a performance-related clause, particularly as creating, writing and directing it caused him so much stress that he lost six teeth in the process. “It was physically, mentally and emotionally draining. I kept having new ideas and revising the episodes as we were filming so the amount of work multiplied.”

The idea for Squid Game came out of Hwang’s own family situation in 2009, after the global financial crisis that hit his homeland hard. “I was very financially straitened because my mother retired from the company she was working for. There was a film I was working on but we failed to get finance. So I couldn’t work for about a year. We had to take out loans – my mother, myself and my grandmother.”

3679.jpg?width=380&quality=85&auto=forma

Hwang sought relief in Seoul’s comic book cafes. “I read Battle Royal and Liar Game and other survival game comics. I related to the people in them, who were desperate for money and success. That was a low point in my life. If there was a survival game like these in reality, I wondered, would I join it to make money for my family? I realised that, since I was a film-maker, I could put my own touch to these kinds of stories so I started on the script.”

He drew on a version of tag he played as a boy called squid game, named after the various squid-bodypart shapes that were drawn on to whatever field it was played on. “I used to be good at fighting my way to the squid’s head,” Hwang says. “You had to fight to win.”

In the first game in the show, all 456 contestants can only move when the face of a sinister mechanised doll is turned away from them. Those caught out are mown down with machine-gun fire. Why did Hwang create a horrifyingly brutal contest that holds human life so cheap? “Because the show is motivated by a simple idea,” he says. “We are fighting for our lives in very unequal circumstances.”

Are you making a profound point about capitalism? “It’s not profound! It’s very simple! I do believe that the overall global economic order is unequal and that around 90% of the people believe that it’s unfair. During the pandemic, poorer countries can’t get their people vaccinated. They’re contracting viruses on the streets and even dying. So I did try to convey a message about modern capitalism. As I said, it’s not profound.”

But isn’t there a contradiction in that, without money from an international corporation, ie Netflix, your critique of global capitalism would never have been seen? Hwang laughs at me again and says: “Oh, the Guardian, asking profound questions! Well, Netflix is a global corporation but I don’t think it is aggravating inequalities. I don’t think there is a contradiction. When I was working on the project, the goal was to rank No 1 on the Netflix US chart for at least a day. But it ended up being much more successful, the most watched show on Netflix ever. It’s very surprising. It shows that the global audience is resonating with the message I wanted to reflect.”

Did Hwang watch Bridgerton to study the competition? “I find it difficult to watch any series in full. There are only two I’ve watched through to the end: Breaking Bad and Mind Hunter. People said Bridgerton was very good so I tried watching episode one but I gave up in the middle. I’m not really into TV romance stories because it’s been six or seven years since I was in a relationship. I find it really hard to relate to.”

3200.jpg?width=860&quality=85&auto=forma

Perhaps that’s why the sex scenes in Squid Game are so grim. I’m thinking of the one in episode four when two players, one a macho gangster, have sex in a bathroom. There is no love in Squid Game, is there? “Yes there is!” Hwang insists. “It’s a different kind of love in a bizarre, strange, desperate situation. The woman relies on the strongest man in the group. She has to find something to rely on. She believes it’s love – otherwise it’s too sad, you know, to sell sex to the guy just to survive. So she believes her emotion is love, but not romantic love like in Bridgerton.”

Hwang says he wrote this scene after watching a TV reality show in which contestants are stranded on a desert island. “It was about people’s psychology in extreme situations. They are sexually attracted to people they believe are stronger and the best at hunting, when they wouldn’t have been before.” Aren’t you depicting women as sexualised commodities? For once, Hwang’s smile fades: “Why are you asking about excessive sexual representation of women?” He says his only purpose was “to show that, regardless of gender, women and men tend to perform desperate actions in extreme situations”.

One Squid Game contestant is a North Korean defector. “They’re probably the biggest minority in South Korea now,” says Hwang. “That’s only going to increase. I think exchange between the two Koreas is going to expand. We are going to reach reunification at some point. I hope so.” North Korea has not taken such a benevolent line on the show. According to propaganda site Arirang Meari, Hwang’s drama shows South Korea is “infested by the rules of survival of the fittest, corruption and immorality”. Not words, of course, that could ever apply to truly egalitarian North Korea.

But Squid Game is hardly just a snapshot of his home country. “I wanted to create something that would resonate not just for Korean people but globally. This was my dream.” In this life and death struggle, social norms are torn away and the contestants are trapped in a war of all against all, in which human life is nasty, brutish and short. “We are living in a Squid Game world,” says Hwang, but he says not everybody in his drama is selfishly looking after number one, climbing over losers’ faces to win the money.

Some viewers have found the denouement – in which the winner makes two surprise decisions to do with family and prize money – exasperating. US basketball legend LeBron James, who loved the show, had this to say: “I didn’t like the ending though. What are you doing?”

Spoiler

5591.jpg?width=860&quality=85&auto=forma

Is James wrong? Hwang giggles from Seoul, before referencing one of James’s film career highlights. “Have you seen Space Jam 2?” he asks. Not all the way through, I reply. “LeBron James is cool and can say what he wants. I respect that. I’m very thankful he watched the whole series. But I wouldn’t change my ending. That’s my ending. If he has his own ending that would satisfy him, maybe he could make his own sequel. I’ll check it out and maybe send him a message saying, ‘I liked your whole show, except the ending.’”

But surely there is another reason for that ending: it’s teed up nicely for a sequel, with the winner able to take on the diabolical secret organisation that runs Squid Game. No announcement has been made and Hwang isn’t sure there will be a season two, nor what its story would be. “Of course there is talk. That’s inevitable because it’s been such a success. I am considering it. I have a very high-level picture in my mind, but I’m not going to work on it straight away. There’s a film I really want to make. I’m thinking about which to do first. I’m going to talk to Netflix.”

He doesn’t want to become just the Squid Game guy and is now lobbying Netflix to screen three movies he made in the past decade. But he certainly hasn’t ruled a sequel out – if only for one very material reason. “It’s possible,” he says with one last laugh, “that I have to do season two to become as rich as Squid Game’s winner.”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/26/squid-games-creator-rich-netflix-bonus-hwang-dong-hyuk

What ‘Squid Game’ tells us about the changing face of globalisation

A new type of connectivity is emerging, and it’s no longer dominated by America

Edited by ferily
Maximum 3 images per post. Please put any other in the spoiler tag. Thanks!
  • Like 1

“Squid Game” Director Reveals Season 2’s Core Plotline + Netflix Comments On Possibility Of Season 3

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 28, 2021
by E. Cha

Both “Squid Game” director Hwang Dong Hyuk and Netflix have commented on their plans for future seasons of the hit series.

On December 28, Hwang Dong Hyuk participated in an interview with KBS in which he remarked, “I’m currently in the midst of discussions with Netflix about Season 2 and Season 3 [of ‘Squid Game’].”

“I think we’ll be reaching some sort of conclusion [to our discussions] soon,” continued the director. “We know that many people are waiting, so everyone is working hard to prepare for the next season with a positive outlook.”

Hwang Dong Hyuk also revealed what the core plotline for Season 2 will be. “The focus [of the season] will be the story of [Lee Jung Jae‘s character] Seong Gi Hun unraveling [the mysteries of the organization behind the game],” he shared. “The overarching plotline of Season 2 will be the story of the people that Gi Hun meets and the people he chases after.”

Later that day, Netflix officially addressed the possibility of a third season of “Squid Game” by clarifying, “It’s true that we are discussing a wide variety of possibilities for ‘Squid Game,’ including the production of a Season 3, but nothing has yet been set in stone.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1505873wpp/squid-game-director-reveals-season-2s-core-plotline-netflix-comments-on-possibility-of-season-3

• Like 1

Gong Yoo Talks About Split Responses To “The Silent Sea,” His “Squid Game” Appearance, And More

Gong Yoo Talks About Split Responses To “The Silent Sea,” His “Squid Game” Appearance, And More

Gong Yoo recently sat down with Sports Chosun to talk about his year.

In 2021, Gong Yoo made a brief but impactful appearance in the hit Netflix series “Squid Game,” and went on to star in his own Netflix series, “The Silent Sea,” in December.

[...]

About his appearance in “Squid Game,” he said, “The two best things I did this year was making a cameo in ‘Squid Game’ when the director asked me to and appearing in ‘The Silent Sea.’ I think that those two things repaid me the most this year. I can’t go abroad due to COVID-19 and can’t meet with fans directly in person, but I can feel the responses from fans in countries all over the world on Instagram.”

He continued, “This is the 20th year of my career, and the most decisive factor in me opening an Instagram account was my foreign fans. Each country has an association of foreign fans, and they always set up an event like billboards on buildings and in subway stations for my birthday. They’re always giving me gifts like that, but I had no way to communicate with them back. I’ve been thinking about this for a long time, but on my 20th debut anniversary, I decided to make an account. Even though I’m just uploading photos, the fans really like it. It’s a new world for me, but I see the talk about me in various languages, and realize that’s what Netflix series like ‘Squid Game’ and ‘The Silent Sea’ gave me. I recently uploaded a photo of a squid I caught while fishing, and there were people who started to worry about my Instagram. They told me, ‘Don’t use Instagram like that.'”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1506331wpp/gong-yoo-talks-about-split-responses-to-the-silent-sea-his-squid-game-appearance-and-more

• Like 1