[Upcoming Drama 2022~2024] Squid Game, 오징어 게임 - Lee Jung Jae- Season 2 premieres in the second half 2024

larus

Bing watched 9 episodes in 3 days and its of the best recent thrilling k-drama series.  We have Gong Yoo and Lee Byung Hun back in dramaland acted in this series although  Gong Yoo was a special appearance.

OMG,  this 10 foot DOLL in Squid Game that creep me out actually belongs to a real life village in South Korea in Jincheon County, Chungcheongbok-do.  The production team borrowed the doll for Squid Game filming and one of her hand was missing upon return.  Article below.

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/origin-red-light-green-light-doll-squid-game/

54762659-0-C94-4904-834-E-7-F7-F853-ACA8

628-C23-FB-2-E1-A-42-B7-9-F9-A-D5-D47994

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

I think there will be a second season. I don`t necesarry want it but if Gi-Hun will try to distroy the company behind the 'squid games' I am all for it. I am just sad that he did not leave to see his daugher. Gi Hun will disapopint her again but I understand why he stayed. I also think that Hwang Jun-Ho is not dead. His brother (the front man) shot him in his sholder to have a chance to survive. If there will be a second season he will be back. I hope in the secopnd season his story will intersect more with Gi Hun`s story. 

Rising Actors Jung Ho Yeon, Wi Ha joon and Lee Yoo Mi Rocket Up in Popularity After Squid Game with Multiple Increases on Instagram Followers and Comments

http://koalasplayground.com/2021/09/26/rising-actors-jung-ho-yeon-wi-ha-joon-and-lee-yoo-mi-rocket-up-in-popularity-after-squid-game-with-multiple-increases-on-instagram-followers-and-comments/

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

BLACKPINK’s Jennie Is In The Ending Credits For “Squid Game” — Here’s Why

Did you spot this familiar name at the end of the show?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MmLtLb-9eVyTbL1My2lpcJLdjJtq5SLvH7BHAPmAx2AXx1q9VSvj0EJY9rPbPT9YoO0ZD_BHmpLkQzydnytLC1XkbypNpk3TpyKhtncdSKuXT3Q=w780-rj-l80-nu-e365

If you’ve made it to the end of Netflix‘s huge new hit K-Drama Squid Game and watched through the credits, you may have noticed a very surprising name at the end: Jennie, as in BLACKPINK‘s Jennie. Wondering how she got there? Here’s the scoop.

If you’re like many viewers, you may have rushed to social media to share your thoughts after Squid Game‘s explosive and unexpected ending. If you stayed to watch all the way through the ending credits (and you can read Hangul), however, you’d get hit with another surprise: BLACKPINK Jennie’s name.

Of course, eagle-eyed viewers—especially BLINKs—would have noticed if Jennie showed up in the K-Drama, even with 456 contestants to look through. With her distinctive figure, some fans probably could’ve spotted her even if she was disguised as one of the game’s staff. So, how did she make it into the credits alongside the show’s actors?

Among names like MERRELL Korea CEO Kwon Sung Yoon and the Seoul Film Commission‘s Lee Geun Cheol and Jung Jae Hee, Jennie appears right at the end of the credits in the “Special Thanks” section—and it’s all because of what she did for the cast and crew during the drama’s filming.

Squid Game was the first acting role for model Ho Yeon Jung (who plays Player No. 067, Kang Sae Byeok), so you may not have been familiar with her before now. However, she’s very familiar with BLACKPINK’s Jennie, who happens to be one of her celebrity besties.

Over the years, they’ve shown each other love and support and spent plenty of time together. From cooking together to dates in nature, they’re one of the cutest BFF pairs in the industry right now.

Ho Yeon even attended one of BLACKPINK’s concerts prior to the pandemic.

So, it should come as no surprise that when Ho Yeon scored her first acting role, Jennie couldn’t wait to shower her friend with support. All the way back in July 2020, when the K-Drama began filming, Jennie sent the cutest food support truck to the show’s set.

In a recent YouTube video promotion Squid Game, Player No. 456 Seong Gi Hun actor Lee Jung Jae confirmed that Ho Yeon and Jennie are “great friends,” and revealed that Jennie actually visited the actors on set when she sent the truck.

When the show finally dropped on Netflix, Jennie was quick to update her Instagram story too, calling herself Saebyeok and Ho Yeon’s fan.

After everything Jennie did for her during her first acting gig, it seems Ho Yeon Jung wanted to return the favor to her close friend in the most special way—a feature in the show’s credits. While a second season of Squid Game is still unconfirmed, perhaps Jennie could make a cameo if it ever happens!

https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/blackpink-jennie-squid-game-ending-credits/

BLACKPINK’s Jennie Hangs Out On “Squid Game” Set With Star Jung Ho Yeon

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 26, 2021
by E. Cha

“Squid Game” star Jung Ho Yeon has shared an adorable glimpse of BLACKPINK’s Jennie’s visit to the filming set!

As some fans may already know, model-turned-actress Jung Ho Yeon—who recently shot to fame after her starring turn in the hit drama “Squid Game”—is close friends with Jennie. Star Lee Jung Jae previously revealed that Jennie not only sent a coffee truck to the set to show her support for Jung Ho Yeon, but she actually paid a personal visit as well.

On September 27, Jung Ho Yeon thrilled fans by taking to Instagram and posting a cute photo that she and Jennie took together during the BLACKPINK member’s visit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUSi2lQBCoY/

https://www.soompi.com/article/1490427wpp/blackpinks-jennie-hangs-out-on-squid-game-set-with-star-jung-ho-yeon

• Like 1

Lee Jung Jae On What He Would Do With The “Squid Game” Prize Money, Chemistry With Lee Byung Hun & Park Hae Soo, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 29, 2021
by S. Cho

“Squid Game” star Lee Jung Jae recently shared his thoughts on the show’s charms, his chemistry with his co-stars, and much more!

On September 29, Lee Jung Jae participated in an online interview with Star News to discuss his hit series “Squid Game.” The drama is about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game—only to learn that there is more at stake than just the prize money.

After its worldwide release on September 17, “Squid Game” became the first Korean drama to top both the domestic and global Netflix TV show rankings, as well as the first Korean drama to rank No. 1 on “Today’s Top 10” in the United States. Additionally, the series has maintained a top 3 ranking in 83 countries around the world.

Lee Jung Jae plays the role of Sung Ki Hoon, a man who falls into a dire situation due to unemployment, divorce, gambling, and debt. Despite not even being welcomed by his own family, he does not lose hope or his sense of humanity.

Although Lee Jung Jae does not use social media himself, he shared that he was most definitely feeling the popularity of “Squid Game” in other ways. He commented, “Should I say I see it with my eyes? I lurk on social media. I can feel the popularity. I’ve been seeing lots of people upload photos. The cast members have also been uploading photos onto social media. Even just this morning, I was asked, ‘Can I upload this photo of us together?’ So I told them to upload it.”

He continued, “From my colleagues to even acquaintances, I’ve been getting a lot of calls and texts these days. I’ve been getting lots of congratulatory messages, so I’m thankful. The parody videos that ‘Squid Game’ viewers have been uploading are so fun. There are even people who make me think, ‘These people have way better ideas than us.’ I can’t look often as I’m currently filming a project, but I look on social media and laugh whenever I get a break.”

When asked what he thinks catapulted “Squid Game” to global success, Lee Jung Jae answered, “There are a lot of unique aspects. Even apart from Korean content, it’s probably a very unique concept. The scenario features a complex combination of a variety of aspects, and I think the filming and characters were all part of that harmony.”

Spoilers

Eagle-eyed viewers noticed a scene in the drama where Lee Jung Jae pretends to eat, which recently went viral. Lee Jung Jae explained, “When you film an eating scene, you eat really diligently in the first take. By the third and fourth, you get full and start to cut corners. I think that since I had my back to the camera, I thought I wouldn’t show up on screen and tried to cut corners. I did eat when I was facing the front. I think they just used that while editing.” He added with a laugh, “I guess even while editing, they didn’t notice.”

Lee-Jung-Jae-1.jpeg

At the end of the series, Lee Jung Jae’s character returns home and boldly dyes his hair a bright red. The actor shared the reason for this, saying, “The red hair was originally in the script. I remember talking with the director about why he had to have red hair. Red hair is a color an average man of Ki Hoon’s age would never do. I think it was an effort to show that he was going beyond a certain limit.” Lee Jung Jae added, “I was in a situation where red hair would’ve made me unable to do other work. It wasn’t dyed; I just wore a wig that fit really well.”

When asked how he would like to resemble his character Ki Hoon, Lee Jung Jae responded, “Honestly, I’m not sure whether people overseas will relate to Sung Ki Hoon wanting to help others and actually helping others in such an extreme situation. However, I think it captures the emotions of Koreans well, so I didn’t think it was strange when I read the script.”

He continued, “I read it thinking that he was a warmhearted person. There was no aspect [of the character] that I felt I couldn’t act because I didn’t understand it. Because of that, the character of Sung Ki Hoon looked kind of cute. Although it’s a TV show, I also think that Sung Ki Hoon’s personality was transformed into a message.”

Lee Jung Jae also shared his personal thoughts on why he had found “Squid Game” charming, explaining, “I liked the concept. It’s a survival game for adults, but there’s an element of horror in the setup of playing childhood games. You could say the genre is survival, but the screenplay includes details of all the sorrows and troubles of the contestants and why they had to resort to this. In order to not exaggerate those points, they’re slowly piled up one by one from Episode 1, and then it emotionally and effectively explodes at the end. I felt that that set it apart from other survival films. I thought that it was good from the start.”

He went on to give insight into the set, sharing, “On our set, there was actually a huge doll placed in a wide open space and 456 people really ran around to play ‘Red Light, Green Light.’ The tug of war and glass bridge got a lot of help from computer graphics, but there was no way I could’ve guessed its scale just from reading the script. Because of that, I was so full of curiosity about how the set would be arranged every time I went to film. Whenever we got there, the set would be done so well that we would all be busy taking photos before filming.”

Lee-Jung-Jae-3.jpeg

Next, Lee Jung Jae spoke about his chemistry with co-stars Park Hae Soo and Lee Byung Hun. Park Hae Soo played Jo Sang Woo, Sung Ki Hoon’s childhood friend. Lee Jung Jae shared, “As [Park Hae Soo’s] foundation was so strong with his theatre experience, he interpreted and built his character in a very deep manner. While he had depth, he also tried to look at different aspects. He has a lot of cute sides and was humorous on set. I guess you could say he was the mood maker.”

He continued, “In terms of acting, since he was the friend who went to the very end with me, our chemistry was good. He has such a good personality. We went through all the seasons together and filmed from when it was most hot to when it was most cold. We filmed the final scene on a cold day while rain sprayed down on us, and I think the cast and crew were able to overcome all the difficult parts thanks to his bright personality.”

Lee Byung Hun starred as the “Squid Game” front man who oversaw all matters regarding the game, but his identity was only revealed at the end of the series. Lee Jung Jae commented, “Lee Byung Hun and I had always just said, ‘We have to work together eventually,’ ‘Let’s do it sometime.’ We’ve been close since our debuts. We were even under the same agency for a few years. Our friendship is unique. Somehow, we just never had the opportunity [to actually work together].”

He shared, “I don’t know if it’s because of his relationship with director Hwang Dong Hyuk, but he made a special appearance in ‘Squid Game.’ With me, we only met for one scene. If there were a ‘Squid Game 2,’ I’d obviously want to work with Lee Byung Hun. Even if I can’t come out in Part 2, I’d want to work together in another project.”

Given the enormous amount of prize money awarded in “Squid Game,” Lee Jung Jae was also asked what he would do with that kind of award. He shared, “If Ki Hoon got 45.6 billion won, he might make a different decision, but if Lee Jung Jae were to suddenly get 45.6 billion won, he would definitely donate it.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491029wpp/lee-jung-jae-on-what-he-would-do-with-the-squid-game-prize-money-chemistry-with-lee-byung-hun-park-hae-soo-and-more

• Like 2

“Squid Game” Star Jung Ho Yeon To Guest On “You Quiz On The Block”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 30, 2021
by U. Kim

Rising star Jung Ho Yeon of “Squid Game” is making a guest appearance on tvN’s “You Quiz on the Block”!

On September 30, a source from Saram Entertainment shared that Jung Ho Yeon will be recording her appearance on the show soon.

“You Quiz on the Block” is a variety show in which Yoo Jae Suk and Jo Se Ho interview and have a quiz session with the special guests.

Jung Ho Yeon recently became one of the most talked-about Korean actresses since her drama debut with “Squid Game.” She left a strong impression on viewers through her portrayal of the North Korean defector Sae Byuk who participates in the survival game.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491088wpp/squid-game-star-jung-ho-yeon-to-guest-on-you-quiz-on-the-block

Squid Game on Netflix: That ending explained and your burning questions answered

Here's info about the ending, a possible second season, that creepy Red Light, Green Light doll, and the oh-so-breakable candy shapes.

Squid Game, the grim but intriguing Korean series about a murderous tournament of children's games, could soon top Bridgerton as Netflix's biggest show ever. The tournament itself does wind its way to a bloody resolution. But that doesn't mean all our Squid Game questions got answered. Here's a look at eight burning questions viewers may have about the show. 

Warning: The following story includes huge spoilers for Squid Game, so if you haven't watched all the episodes, come back and read this after you're done. You really don't want to be spoiled for some of the plot twists.

1. When did Squid Game come out?

The nine-episode series released on Netflix on Sept. 17. 

2. Will there be a season 2 of Squid Game?

If you've watched the whole show (remember that spoiler warning above), you know the game doesn't really end with the ninth episode. It continues, and the future of "winner" Seong Gi-hun (played by Lee Jung-jae) is left uncertain. Will we ever know what happens after he gets off that plane? The answer is a resounding ... maybe. Writer/director Hwang Dong-hyuk told Variety he may return to big-screen movies before thinking about a Squid Game sequel.

"I don't have well-developed plans for Squid Game 2," he told Variety. "It is quite tiring just thinking about it. But if I were to do it, I would certainly not do it alone. I'd consider using a writers' room and would want multiple experienced directors."

Squid Game's success is sure to have Netflix execs wanting more, but we just don't know if they'll coax the director back for more. Get out the dangling piggy bank full of Korean won, Netflix, and pay the man.

3. Was Squid Game based on a book?

It certainly seems like Squid Game would make a great novel or graphic novel. But right now, you can't go to your bookstore and scoop up a Squid Game book to read.

According to Korean pop-culture site Soompi, Squid Game director Hwang Dong Hyuk said that he got the idea for the show back in 2008 from a comic book about people who were playing an extreme game. But he didn't name the comic.

And it might not even be a single comic, because the director told the Korea Herald that he "read a lot of comics, and was mesmerized by survival games." So until Hwang comes out and names some of his reading material, guesses are all we have. It seems likely that Squid Game will now be turned into book form, since it's such a hit. Keep an eye on those bookstore shelves.

Some are claiming that Squid Game is suspiciously similar to a 2014 Japanese film, As The Gods Will, directed by Takashi Miike. That film itself is based on Japanese manga. It's also about a death tournament using childhood games, and seems to have some very similar scenes, including a doll that spins around and tries to catch players moving.

Squid Game's director said at a press conference that only the first game in the film is similar to his show, and that he had been working on his concept for years before As The Gods Will came out in 2014.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/squid-game-on-netflix-the-ending-explained-all-your-burning-questions-answered/

October 1, 2021.

The director of Squid Game talks about Gong Yoo’s  and Lee Byung Hun’s guest appearances.

spacer.png

The appearance of the two adds a lot of topics to this drama.

After the popular Netflix series "Squid Game" was officially launched in the middle of this month, it quickly became the champion of the hit list in 76 regions, and the overall ranking was ranked first in the world. This is the first time that a Korean drama has attained this achievement.

In an earlier interview with the Chosun Ilbo, director Hwang Dong Hyuk also specifically mentioned the guest appearances of the two heavyweight stars Gong Yoo and Lee Byung Hun in the drama. He explained that he and Gong Yoo have always had a good relationship in private and he received a reply immediately after his request.  He kept in touch with Lee Byung Hun after the 2017 movie “The Fortress”, and Lee readily accepted the role of the host in the drama.

In addition, Hwang Dong Hyuk also mentioned that Gong Yoo’s role was decided after thinking about him as the "beginning" and "end". At the same time, he pointed out that under the staff class system, he can go out to recruit contestants. Gong Yoo has received enough training and guidance in the role setting, and this actually has a lot of room for play in the plot. After all, the policeman played by Wi Ha Joon is a highlight in this drama.

Finally, when talking about the plan for the second season in the interview, Hwang Dong Hyuk frankly said that shooting the first season has already exhausted him physically and mentally. However, considering the popularity of "Squid Game" in the world, he will discuss the second season with Netflex and will not rule out filming a second season for this drama.  Interested readers may wish to keep an eye on this.

Source:  https://hypebeast.com/zh/2021/9/netflix-original-series-squid-game-gong-yoo-casting-behind

• Like 1

October 1, 2021

‘Squid Game’ Director Hwang Dong Hyuk Talks About Ki Hoon’s Red Hair, Possible Season 2 and Star-studded Cameos

by Cho EK

spacer.png

Credit: Netflix

In an in-depth interview with a media outlet, Netflix original series Squid Game director Hwang Dong Hyuk opened up about his latest work.

Hwang said, “The show aimed at the global market from the beginning. I thought what is most Korean is what is the most international. The show presents a series of old local playground games, so I had my doubts about its global success. Therefore, I was stunned when it became one of the top trending shows. I jokingly told people that if things work out, the honeycomb kits will sell like hotcakes and it became true,” with a hearty laugh.

Some people point out that Squid Game is similar to some Japanese movies based on survival games. In response, he said, “I think there are two major differences. In other similar works, we see the games first. However, in Squid Game, we see people first. Usually, in movies like this, a genius appears to solve the complex games. However, we chose the simplest games of all children’s games. It’s not about a hero winning the game, but it’s all about the story of the losers. The ‘stepping stone game’ is the most symbolic in that aspect. It is a story of losers who can go all the way to the end with the dedication and sacrifice of many other people.”

spacer.png

Credit: Netflix

The scene where Sung Ki Hoon (Lee Jung Jae) changes his hair color to red at the end drew a lot of attention. Regarding the part, director Hwang explained, “I thought about this intuitively, thinking about how Ki Hoon should change his hair in a hair salon. I imagined being him and thought to myself, ‘what is the color that you would never choose to dye your hair?’ Then I came to the conclusion that Ki Hoon would never dye his hair red. It would be the craziest thing for him to do. So I chose the color and I thought it really showed his inner anger.”

Regarding the possible second season, he revealed, “I have some plans in my mind, but I should talk to Netflix about it first. I lost six teeth, and I got implants filming the first season, so I’m a little worried,” and laughed. However, he chose to stay silent about the fate of Hwang Joon Ho by saying, “It’s a secret, and I can’t tell you now.”

About how Gong Yoo and Lee Byung Hun made surprise appearances, he explained, “I knew Gong Yoo before filming Silenced (2011), so I asked him to be on our show at a private gathering. Plus, I kept in touch with Lee Byung Hun after The Fortress (2017), and he said yes when I asked him to appear at another event.”

Jung Ho Yeon, who appeared as Sae Byuk in the series, is receiving rave reviews. In regards to her popularity, the director said, “I wanted to work with new actors. The moment I saw her audition tape from New York, I immediately thought to myself, ‘this is the girl we want.’ My first impression on her was that she is wild and free like an untamed horse.

Source: https://zapzee.net/2021/09/29/squid-game-director-hwang-dong-hyuk-talks-about-ki-hoons-red-hair-possible-season-2-and-star-studded-cameos/

• Like 1

Squid Game Korean Thriller Has 'Very Good Chance' to Surpass Bridgerton as Netflix's Biggest Show Ever

By Matt Webb Mitovich / September 29 2021, 7:37 AM PDT

https://tvline.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/squid-game-ratings-renewal.jpg

Squid Game has officially reached “inspector royale” status, and now is on track to overtake Bridgerton as Netflix’s most-sampled series ever.

The Korean-language thriller, which released nine episodes on Sept. 17, is described as “an imaginative, unorthodox story in which 456 contestants risk their lives in a mysterious survival game — involving multiple rounds of childhood games — for a chance to win 45.6 billion won” (or about $40 million U.S.; the first episode alone begs you to keep a won/dollar conversion calculator nearby).

Hwang Dong-hyuk (The Fortress) wrote and directed all nine episodes, while the cast features Lee Jung-jae (Chief of Staff), Park Hae-soo (Yungnyong-i Nareusya), Yeong-su Oh (The Great Queen Seondeok), Wi Ha-Joon (The Greatest Divorce), fashion model Jung Ho-yeon, Heo Sung-tae (Your Honor), Anupam Tripathi and Joo-ryeong Kim.

Among its accomplishments thus far, Squid Game is the first Korean original series to top Netflix’s consumer-facing Top 10 popularity chart, and it will “definitely” be the company’s biggest non-English series of all time (besting the Spanish series Money Heist), Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos said earlier this week. And per FlixPatrol, Squid Game ranks No. 1 in nearly 80 countries (as of Sept. 28). Given the thriller’s rising heat, Sarandos said there’s “a very good chance it’s going to be our biggest show ever.”

Netflix has not yet made for Squid Game any of its “X million homes watched!” claims, but the tale of the tape should come in mid-October, when it will have been out for 28 days.

As of right now, Bridgeton reigns supreme among all Netflix series offerings, having been sampled (at least two minutes were watched) by 82 million accounts in its first 28 days of release. Lupin is second (sampled by 76 million accounts), followed by The Witcher Season 1 (76 million), Sex/Life Season 1 (67 million) and Stranger Things Season 3 (67 million).

When it comes to the most engaging Netflix shows (a measurement of total hours viewed over the first 28 days), Bridgeton again is No. 1 (with 625 million hours), followed by Money Heist Part 4, Stranger Things Season 3, The Witcher Season 1 and 13 Reasons Why Season 2.

https://tvline.com/2021/09/29/squid-game-korean-thriller-netflix-most-watched-show/

Squid Game Generates Wordwide Media Coverage as it Tops Netflix, Currently on Track to Become Most Watched Netflix Series Ever to Surpass Bridgerton 

http://koalasplayground.com/2021/09/30/squid-game-generates-worldwide-media-coverage-as-it-tops-netflix-currently-on-track-to-become-most-watched-netflix-series-ever-to-surpass-bridgerton/

Stream It Or Skip It: ‘Squid Game’ On Netflix, Where People Down On Their Luck Risk Their Lives Playing Deadly Kids’ Games

@joelkeller Sep 17, 2021 at 5:30pm

netflix-squid-game-trailer@2000x1270-696

How desperate do people get when they are deeply in debt? Desperate enough to play kids’ games with life-and-death consequences? That’s the idea behind the new Korean drama Squid Game. What does all of this have to do with squid? Read on for more.

Opening Shot: A black-and-white scene of kids playing a pretty complex game called the “squid game,” because the playing field was shaped like a squid. A voice over of a grown up recalls the rules of the game.

The Gist: Seong Gi-hun (Lee Jung-jae), who lives with his mother (Kim Young-ok), is so broke that his mom has to give him money to take his daughter Ga-yeong (Jo A-in) to dinner. He asks to borrow more so he can get her a proper gift. He then takes the money to a betting parlor, where he somehow manages to win an exacta on the last race he has money to bet on. But as soon as he gets that money, a group of goons descend on him because he owes a loan shark lots of cash. He tries to give them his winnings, but a young woman picked his pocket when he ran into her while running from the goons.

After singing a document that says he’ll lose a kidney and an eye in a month if he doesn’t pay, he has a birthday dinner with his daughter at a street food stand. She tries to tell him something, but he’s busy giving her a gun lighter for a present and promising to do better next year.

A beat up Gi-hun meets a man in a suit (Gong Yoo) in the subway station. He offers money if Gi-hun wins a simple flip game. Gi-hun loses more often than he wins, but all he has to endure if he loses is getting slapped. He gets slapped a lot but comes away with a hunk of change. The suit man knows a lot about Gi-hun and offers him more money if he wants to join the game he reps.

At first he’s resistant, but when his mother tells him that his daughter will move to the U.S. with her mom and stepdad, and the only way to keep her in South Korea is to prove he can provide for her, he calls the number on the card he gets. He goes into a van and is knocked out by a sleeping gas.

He wakes up with 455 other people, all wearing green jogging outfits; they each have a number. He’s number 456; he finds an old man, Oh Il-nam (Oh Young-soo), with the number 001. Also there is Kang Sae-byeok (Jung Ho-yeon) — Number 067 — a North Korean immigrant who was the one who picked his pocket, and his old college friend Cho Sang-woo (Park Hae-soo) — Number 218 — who was at one time a successful investment banker. Everyone playing the game is in some sort of massive debt, and those who finish the series of games the masked gamemasters propose will win billions of won.

The first game is “Green Light, Red Light,” where a massively large child statue calls “Green light” or “red light.” Whoever moves on “red light” gets eliminated. But what Gi-hun and the others don’t realize is exactly what the term “eliminated” means.

https://decider.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/SquidGame_Unit_101_001-resize.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618

Our Take: You can tell the difference between a Netflix-commissioned K-drama like Squid Game and ones that the streamer licenses from other networks and studios. The season is only 9 episodes, dropped all at once. And the story is tighter, not meandering into asides and going on for feature-length runtimes. Another show like that was Sweet Home, and Squid Game has that same feel; a tight narrative and a story that has the potential to be tense and exciting.

It’s a very creative concept; these downtrodden people, desperate to get out of their various debts, are playing kids’ games. The entire environment where the games go on is full of sun, colorful rooms, and unending stairways. The games almost seem whimsical, until you see what’s going on behind the scenes. There’s the masked operators, the gamemaster in charge, with a bronze mask with evil-looking eyes, the floor grid with everyone’s picture and number on it, with the pictures disappearing as people get eliminated. It’s creepy but it draws you in.

The first episode does take a while to set up these games, as we get an idea of why Gi-hun would be desperate enough to submit himself to such a gamble. But it gets to the heart of the matter relatively quickly, especially compared to most of the K-dramas we’ve seen on the service. As we get to know the survivors around Gi-hun as the number of players is winnowed down, we should get a better idea of their stories. But in shows like this, it’s hard to know how long some of those people will make it before being, um, “eliminated.”

That’s the potential thrill of Squid Games; who stays, who “goes”, and how creepy each successive game gets. It’ll be interesting to watch self-interested people like Gi-hun or Sang-beyok forced into alliances to stay in the game, and how people will turn on each other once they know what’s at stake.

Sex and Skin: None.

Parting Shot: Those who survive “Green Light, Red Light” see the roof on their sunny playing field close; we pan back to see that the field is incorporated inside a mountain on a rugged, remote island.

Sleeper Star: We like Oh Young-soo as the elderly Oh Il-nam; he knows he’s dying but loves to play games, so the guy has nothing to lose.

Most Pilot-y Line: There are some closeups of players getting “eliminated” that are very cartoon gory, sort of like the gushing blood in the Kill Bill films. Even though it looks outlandish and unreal — the blood is damn near cherry-colored — it still may make some of the squinchier viewers a little ill.

Our Call: STREAM IT. Squid Games takes a fresh idea and spins it into a thrilling drama; we hope it continues to build the tension we saw in the last 20 minutes throughout the season.

https://decider.com/2021/09/17/squid-games-netflix-review/

“Squid Game” Cast Members To Appear On “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon”

fc87bc1839e8498db12bec8cb031e1e8.jpeg?s=

Oct 2, 2021
by C. Hong

The hit Netflix series “Squid Game” will be appearing on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.”

On October 2, the American media outlet Headline Planet reported that cast members from “Squid Game” had been invited to the October 6 filming of “The Tonight Show.” Both Netflix and NBC have confirmed that there will be an appearance from the show’s cast, but which cast members will appear is being kept under wraps.

“Squid Game,” which has risen to the top of the popularity rankings on Netflix in 81 countries around the world, stars Lee Jung Jae, Park Hae Soo, Wi Ha Joon, Oh Young Soo, Jung Ho Yeon, Heo Sung Tae, and more.

Source (1) (2)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491511wpp/squid-game-cast-members-to-appear-on-the-tonight-show-starring-jimmy-fallon

• Like 1

“Squid Game” Actor Park Hae Soo Talks About The Drama’s Popularity, His Relationship With Lee Jung Jae, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 3, 2021
by S. P

“Squid Game” star Park Hae Soo shared his thoughts on the hit drama!

“Squid Game” is a Netflix drama about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game—only to learn that there is more at stake than just the prize money. Park Hae Soo plays Jo Sang Woo, the head of an investment team who is wanted by the police for stealing money from his clients.

Following its worldwide release in September, “Squid Game” became the first Korean series to top both the domestic and global Netflix TV show rankings, as well as the first Korean drama to rank No. 1 on Netflix’s Today’s Top 10 in the United States. Additionally, the series has maintained a top 3 ranking in 83 countries around the world.

Park Hae Soo reacted happily to the explosive popularity of the series, commenting, “Thanks to the drama’s popularity, I received congratulatory messages from all around the world for the birth of my child.”

Park Hae Soo mentioned that he had anticipated, to some extent, the worldwide popularity of “Squid Game.” He said, “Although they’re Korean games, there’s plenty of things for people to relate to. I figured that people would think a lot about these things while watching the drama. I also thought that it would do well since it was centered around a sort of extreme game. However, I didn’t think it would become quite this big. I’m starting to realize the extent of its popularity after getting lots of messages from people living overseas.”

Park-Hae-Soo.jpg

Park Hae Soo shared that it was the synopsis that drew him into the series, specifically mentioning the psychological changes that the characters underwent. As for his own character of Jo Sang Woo, he revealed, “While working on the drama, I never felt any differences between Jo Sang Woo and myself. The choices grew easier as it felt like I wasn’t acting, so it felt strange. Now that filming is over, I think I’m most similar to Sung Gi Hoon (Lee Jung Jae).”

The actor gave special thanks to Lee Jung Jae for helping him through the acting process. “As we were all living as our characters, it got difficult and we leaned on each other for support. As a central role, Lee Jung Jae approached us in a comfortable way,” he shared. “He’s sort of an ideal for us as actors, so it was an honor to work alongside him. I went to Lee Jung Jae’s house, where we drank wine and conversed a lot. He gave me plenty of advice about acting and where to go from here. I was very glad to work with him.”

Spoilers

Although viewers are anticipating a second season of “Squid Game,” the first season unfortunately ends with Jo Sang Woo’s death. Park Hae Soo agreed with the outcome, saying, “He was a character who had to die, which is a shame.” He added his hopes to appear in the series again as he said, “Who knows, the director could make a prequel. I hope I could at least appear in Sung Gi Hoon’s dream.”

Park-Hae-Soo-2.jpg

Park Hae Soo had nothing but high praise for director Hwang Dong Hyuk, mentioning that he was a big fan of his previous works such as “The Fortress,” “Silenced,” and “Miss Granny.” “He’s a director who takes on all sorts of challenges. He has a good sense of humor and wit,” he praised. “I want to keep improving and meet him again. He told Jo Sang Woo’s story by immersing himself completely in the character, and he explained the character’s rationale from the character’s perspective. I’m thankful for how he thought about Jo Sang Woo’s lines and edited them up until the day before.”

Park Hae Soo wrapped up the interview by expressing his gratitude for the viewers. “Although I’ve always been filming, it’s been a long time since I’ve come before my audience. I was really grateful for everyone’s reaction to ‘Squid Game.’ I’m glad since it feels like everyone is telling me I’m doing well and that I’m not wrong. I learned a lot while filming, but I’m also learning new things as my projects receive love from the viewers. I’m a student at 41 years of age.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491600wpp/squid-game-actor-park-hae-soo-talks-about-the-dramas-popularity-his-relationship-with-lee-jung-jae-and-more

• Like 1

Jung Ho Yeon On Auditioning For “Squid Game,” Support From BLACKPINK’s Jennie And Boyfriend Lee Dong Hwi, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 3, 2021
by U. Kim

Model-turned-actress Jung Ho Yeon spoke about her ever-rising popularity following “Squid Game”!

Jung Ho Yeon made her acting debut in the hit Netflix series “Squid Game” and immediately grabbed the attention of viewers around the world. On October 1, she sat down for an interview with Herald POP and promised to continue growing as an actress.

“Squid Game” is about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game—only to learn that there is more at stake than just the prize money. Jung Ho Yeon plays the North Korean defector Sae Byeok who has lived as a pickpocket to provide for her family.

jung-ho-yeon.jpeg

Regarding the audition process for the role, Jung Ho Yeon revealed, “It had been less than a month since I had signed with my agency, and I was in New York for Fashion Week, but I was asked to send an audition video as soon as possible. I had never filmed an audition video myself, so I remember pouring all of my energy into the script. I did my best for about three days. I didn’t even know how to approach acting, so I kept pondering over why Sae Byeok said what she said. After some time, I felt like I had gotten closer to Sae Byeok. I had forgotten about the video after I sent it over, but they suddenly told me they wanted to see me in person, so I quickly flew to Korea.”

At the in-person audition, Jung Ho Yeon was extremely nervous despite her many years of experience in front of the camera as a model. When she was told that she got the role, she felt that she “had gotten herself into trouble and felt a rush of pressure and fear.” She even had to stop drinking coffee because it made her heart pound too fast after she joined the “Squid Game” cast.

Even after the shoots began, Jung Ho Yeon’s anxiety did not subside. Sensing a crisis, the actress decided that something had to be done, and she asked the director if they could have a talk over a meal. She explained, “I think I wanted to feel certain about why he chose me. Then the director said to me, ‘I picked you because you’re already perfect as Sae Byeok.’ That one phrase made me think that even if I’m not that great at acting, it would be problematic if I’m not able to do what I normally can do because of my nervousness and uneasiness, and I was able to overcome it. I also spoke to my seniors a lot while filming. From a certain point on, I didn’t feel uneasy, and I could focus and do my best.”

To understand and portray her character Sae Byeok, Jung Ho Yeon kept a diary. “I focused on studying Sae Byeok’s inner thoughts. She’s an interesting person in that she lives for the sake of others, rather than herself. But I think my research was lacking in terms of methods of expression. I was also slow at absorbing the director’s directions. Then, I experienced actions coming out of me even when I wasn’t thinking about it, which made me feel like I had grown closer to Sae Byeok, and that was cool. I figured that’s what it felt like to live as a character. Because I’m lacking, what I focused on most was being sincere.”

jung-ho-yeon-3.jpeg

She said about her growing Instagram follower count, “In the beginning, I was very surprised as I checked in real-time. When I opened the app once, the number went up, and when I opened it again, it went up further. I thought that the love for ‘Squid Game’ was being reflected in numbers, like fate, and I was thankful. Just the fact that so many people around the world are showing their interest puts me in a good mood.”

The actress explained that the buzz around herself and “Squid Game” didn’t feel real until she started taking part in interviews with the press – especially because everything is happening online and she hasn’t had a chance to physically see her fans.

She shared, “I was in a call with Park Hae Soo the other day, and he said, ‘Let’s keep our feet on the ground.’ Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I live with the thought that my feet are on the ground. In terms of my acting, I think I was lacking in many ways. The director, senior actors, and staff put it all together for me, and I know that my personal skills are lacking. I’m thankful for all of the love people have been giving me despite that, and I will work harder in the future to improve.”

Asked about her goals, she commented, “I don’t have any goals as an actress. I want to improve every day and maintain a steady pace without ever losing my resolve to work hard. I may waver a lot, but I’ll work really hard and keep going.”

Jung Ho Yeon opened up about her boyfriend Lee Dong Hwi, whom she has been dating publicly since 2016. She revealed, “He’s very proud of the success of ‘Squid Game.'”

“Since he’s also an actor, he’s a good senior, a good friend, and a good person,” she commented, before adding, “He cheers me on a lot, and he worries for me as well. He’s sort of like a dad.”

Jung Ho Yeon is also known to be good friends with BLACKPINK’s Jennie, who sent a coffee truck to the set of “Squid Game” and even visited the set to cheer her friend on.

Jung Ho Yeon revealed that Jennie had congratulated her on the immense popularity of “Squid Game.” She shared, “Jennie was happy for me ever since I told her I was cast in ‘Squid Game.’ She sent me a coffee truck, and she actively cheered me on by even uploading to her social media.”

Sharing her gratitude for Jennie, Jung Ho Yeon said, “Jennie is always there on the list of people I’m grateful for while acting in ‘Squid Game.’ She congratulated me so happily, as if my joys were also her own, that I wondered how such an angel could exist.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491579wpp/jung-ho-yeon-on-auditioning-for-squid-game-support-from-blackpinks-jennie-and-boyfriend-lee-dong-hwi-and-more

• Like 1

I'd love to read all the posts, but I'm only on ep 3 and don't want to spoil it for myself.  It is definitely addicting to watch.  It keeps you coming back to find the answers to your questions, guessing what game is next, and who will live and who will die.  

• Like 1

“Squid Game” Star Jung Ho Yeon Overtakes Song Hye Kyo To Become 2nd Most-Followed Korean Actress On Instagram

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 4, 2021
by E. Cha

“Squid Game” star Jung Ho Yeon is now the Korean actress with the second highest number of followers on Instagram!

After catapulting to stardom in the smash hit drama “Squid Game,” the model-turned-actress has seen her Instagram follower count rise thirtyfold, going from just over 400,000 (before the show’s release) to 12.6 million in the span of just two weeks.

Jung Ho Yeon has now overtaken Song Hye Kyo, who currently has just over 12 million followers, to become the second most-followed Korean actress on the platform. She may also be on track to catch up to Lee Sung Kyung, who holds the title of most-followed Korean actress with over 12.9 million followers.

Jung-Ho-Yeon-Instagram.jpg

Congratulations to Jung Ho Yeon on her impressive feat! (Check out her Instagram account here!)

Kim Soo Hyun Jokes That He Could Have Made An Appearance On “Squid Game”

Oct 3, 2021
by U. Kim

Would you have liked to see Kim Soo Hyun in “Squid Game”? The actor thinks he would have blended in well!

The hit drama “Squid Game” is about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game—only to learn that there is more at stake than just the prize money.

On October 2, FTISLAND’s Lee Hong Ki uploaded to his Instagram Stories a photo Kim Soo Hyun had shared with him. Lee Hong Ki wrote on top of the image, “He sent me this photo saying he could have appeared [on ‘Squid Game’] too… haha hyung.. then you would have been the first one to die hahaha.” Kim Soo Hyun and Lee Hong Ki are known to be close friends.

kim-soo-hyun-squid-game-506x900.jpg

The photos are still cuts from “Squid Game” photoshopped with screenshots of Kim Soo Hyun’s past cameo appearance from tvN’s “Crash Landing on You” as his character Won Ryu Hwan from the 2013 movie “Secretly, Greatly.”

Won Ryu Hwan is a North Korean spy who is deployed to South Korea, where he pretends to be the village idiot Bang Dong Goo who is always wearing his trademark green track suit. The character blends in with the other “Squid Game” actors clad in green as if he was meant to be there.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491630wpp/kim-soo-hyun-jokes-that-he-could-have-made-an-appearance-on-squid-game

• LOL 1

Just see the whole drama, admittedly this series is rather interesting, they are very broke people and very indebted ready for anything, but I was not impressed, they could have done better, I do not understand this planetary success, sorry babe

Wi Ha Joon Picks “Squid Game” Round That Would Eliminate Him, Shares Hopes For Season 2, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 4, 2021
by S. Cho

Wi Ha Joon of “Squid Game” recently shared his thoughts on the amazing popularity of the series!

“Squid Game” is a Netflix original series about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game—only to learn that there is much more at stake than just the prize money.

Wi Ha Joon played police officer Jun Ho, who gets involved in the games in an unconventional way. He started off his interview by thanking fans around the world for their love and support and added, “When I saw how perfected the project was, I thought that many viewers would enjoy it, but I never could’ve imagined receiving this much love. It’s such an honor to be a part of a project like this and I’m so happy.”

One of the most buzzworthy scenes from “Squid Game” was when Wi Ha Joon’s character had to entertain the VIP guests. In order to conceal his identity, he reluctantly seduces one VIP member who takes a particular liking to him. The actor commented, “I didn’t know that this VIP scene would have such a hot response so I was surprised when this scene got the most buzz. Filming this scene wasn’t easy but I followed the director’s directions for every movement down to my fingertips and I worked hard to really capture my sincerity.”

Wi Ha Joon talked about his audition, explaining, “I went to the audition with the greed that I had to do this project because it was with such amazing actors and an amazing director. I really wanted to do well.”

Wi-Ha-Joon-1.jpeg

Regarding his character, Wi Ha Joon shared, “When I first saw the script, even though Jun Ho didn’t get a lot of screen time, I thought he was incredibly charming because he had his own story and played the role of introducing various events to viewers. When I was acting, I had to struggle to find my older brother, but I also had to record what was happening inside so I paid most attention to maintaining that tension. He was honest and determined and the character there with the best sense of justice.”

Spoilers

At the end of the series, it’s revealed that Wi Ha Joon’s brother is the masked front man, played by Lee Byung Hun. Wi Ha Joon commented, “I knew beforehand that I’d be appearing as brothers with Lee Byung Hun so I was very excited. I was incredibly excited before I even met him. It was such an honor. Lee Byung Hun is a senior whom I already really like. After acting with him, he’s evidently so amazing. My heart would race just from his gaze and one line. He took care of me in such a friendly manner when I saw him on set and when we were eating so I was really touched.”

Unlike the other actors who all played contestants of the game, Wi Ha Joon predominantly had scenes by himself. The actor explained that he was always lonely and added with a laugh, “I want to work with my seniors and learn from them while making memories and eating together.”

He continued, “Since I had to act alone for the majority of my scenes, I felt a lot of pressure about having to lead each scene by myself. However, I think I was able to complete it because the director and staff members led me well.”

Wi-Ha-Joon-2.jpeg

Due to the show’s overwhelming popularity, the interviewer asked what the actors said among themselves about their success. Wi Ha Joon recalled a recent chat with co-star Park Hae Soo and shared, “We congratulated each other and said we worked hard. He even praised me and said, ‘It’s thanks to you.'” He then revealed, “I’ve binge-watched ‘Squid Game’ three times now.”

Out of the six games featured on “Squid Game,” Wi Ha Joon was asked which one he thought would be hardest. The star answered, “If I was to participate, I think I’d be good at all of them except for the dalgona one. I’m not good at delicate things so I think I would’ve been eliminated at the dalgona stage.”

At the end of Season 1, Wi Ha Joon’s character Jun Ho gets shot and falls off the edge of a cliff. However, Wi Ha Joon shared high hopes for a happier ending, sharing, “My hope is that Season 2 comes out, Jun Ho returns alive, and the story with Jun Ho’s brother is resolved well. I really want Jun Ho to live. But it really can’t be predicted. Only the director knows. I want to live and appear in Season 2.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491846wpp/wi-ha-joon-picks-squid-game-round-that-would-eliminate-him-shares-hopes-for-season-2-and-more

Actor Wi Ha Joon surpasses 5 million followers on Instagram, an increase of more than 10x since 'Squid Game'

1633237398-collagemaker-20211003-1302163

'Squid Game' actor Wi Ha Joon officially reached the 5 million follower milestone on Instagram. This is an increase of more than 10x!

In the hit Netflix series 'Squid Game.' Wi Ha Joon plays the role of Hwang Jun Ho, a police officer who disguises himself as a staff masked man to go after his brother's situation and to expose the game's secrets.

Wi Ha Joon also goes viral not just because of his versatile performance in 'Squid Game,' but also for his dancing skills. His video of him dancing to TWICE's 'Cheer Up' and 'Hey Mama' caught people's attention.

"Wi Ha Joon's acting was beyond spectacular."

"Wi Ha Joon can dance!"

"He's literally so good in acting and dancing."

Before 'Squid Game's official release, Wi Ha Joon had approximately 300,000 followers. Two weeks after, as his popularity rises, he officially reaches 5 million followers.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/10/actor-wi-ha-joon-surpasses-5-million-followers-on-instagram-an-increase-of-more-than-10x-since-squid-game

• Like 1