[Drama 2020] To All the Guys Who Loved Me/ Men Are Men, 그놈이 그놈이다

larus

I think the central conflict lies in how Hyun Joo and Ji Woo view their past lives connection....Hyun Joo believes it will just cause more of a mess to follow destiny blindly and ultimately will sever the bond.......Ji Woo wants to tie it back.......I think the drama will center around what choice Hyun Joo makes by the end....does she follow the pattern of her past lives or does she break free and make something new for herself....both Do Gyeom and Ji Woo are connections that are present in her life as a repetition of their entangled destiny over generations....I hope they resolve it realistically....what makes the show palpable to me is the chemistry....I also love how mom and dad immediately jumped shipped and are fully on board with Do Gyeom and Hyun Joo....there are other stories in the background too, the divorced friend's mess of a relationship, the married friend's reckless spending, the hopeless friend's desire for family without romantic prospect....I want to see how they tackle those as they peel back on what went wrong in not one but 3 previous lives these 3 people have lived.....Also, that lady is creepy, she is pushing for marriage for her daughter but is almost romantically craving alliance with Ji Woo....I find so disturbing.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Do Gyeom confess that he likes HJ at the end of epi 4? or is it one of those tropes where the person wants to confess but only has thoughts to... Anyway, let's take it as a confession.. I was actually surprised seeing him confess so early on but am glad he got it out of the system.This may pave way for even more drama.

For some reason,  I find destined lovers trope a bit non exciting... We don't get to see the magic of first meeting, the freshness and all that follows .. Here, JW and DG are already a part of her life, equally pursuing her and they even  share history from their past lives.

Another thing I noticed is that till date HJ hasn't recognized JW from her dreams. We have seen her  dreams of being left alone and at one point she even stumbles down in the snow praying for her husband to show up. I wonder why HJ hasn't recognized that  JW is her husband... And what about DG's past life? Will DG know or will he be kept in the dark? Guess, we'll have to wait and watch for that.. 

I'm glad the writers put HSY in the webtoon team. Hopefully she'll meet DG and they'll get their webtoon happily ever(writer - fan couple ). DG deserves a good ending.. truly. Cheering out for the handkerchief couple too.. Lol.

@kdramagrandma and @thistle  I agree it is OK no guilt to stop watching a drama. It is your FREE time and enjoy or not enjoy as YOUR TIME and attention Is  precious. Don't feel guilt at all. I agree with @thistle it is ok to stop if you want to. No need to persevere to the end if you are not having fun/enjoying the ride. Dramas are for entertainment and when you are losing that reason in the first place, why continue watching. You are not enjoying!

Wow all the theories are cool and interesting thanks. @Nymeria289  @fluffyloaf @larus @sadthe1st @whiteclover @uglypearl:heart3:

I admit after finally watching the two episodes this week, Not sure what to make of it.

-So we know that now he is not reliving a "long life" but actually this life remembers his past lives like HJ has too. So with JW and her getting closer and DG being jealous. 

Not sure how the prior lifetimes will play.

-The secretary's mom is annoying! I agree her loving touching the magazine cover of JW's face was "creepy." Why force your daughter to be with someone you are obsessed with? Not fair to her? I just don't care for her controlling ways. When she told her servant to order her daughter to have salad with no dressing as she needed to lose 2KG. Dang. TT

Pushing on a situation that is not really strong and bulldozing your way is not happiness. Granted power couples in past were not based on love but power, money and status. It doesn't hurt that JW is rich, handsome and from a great family. So for the mom, that is enough she cannot marry him and be a cougar (seems like dad is not in the picture) to wed her daughter to him.

-Secretary is cute and likes DG. Glad that HJ got her the autograph book for her. aww.

-DG acceptance by HJ parents was sweet. Not typical response in many other dramas where the guy/gal were not BLOOD siblings but raised as siblings fell in love--it was taboo. So refreshing they were all for it. (Probably a big fact that HJ is so against marriage so that prob did be a part of it.) 

-Yes HJ parents being silly kissing each other but the almost licking was like----uggggh yech. Glad they did not REALLY lick each other's faces

-DG ---felt bad for puppy. I am glad that HJ finally realized his sincerity and nipped in the bud he real feelings. She did not want him to keep up this one sided love/crush she can never reciprocate. She wants to keep him in her life for the rest of her life. She doesn't want to lose him. Awwww. Love their interactions a lot.

-LOL the company dinner that JW was attending and how HJ kept wanting him to leave. She kept getting him drunk. The oldest intern when he got call from his daughter recanting the daughter's concern as prior firm CEO was insanely in love with a woman and opened a chain of restaurants when they were an IT company and went bankrupt. So she was wisely worried when pharmaceuticals company going into webtoons feels weird. So true I do agree.  (LOL the looks HJ gave JW)

-DG being jealous and right, she doesn 't hate JW. She took care of him and worried about him being left at the restaurant. When she called DG it was funny how JW popped up to try to pay using perilla leaves. (Was he robbed? Did the robber take his wallet and replace it with perilla leaves to replace the thick feeling of the wallet? I Hope HJ did not have to pay for the meal and was able to use the card hopefully JW had his wallet.) She asked for help to make him comfortable and DG got pouty and upset. But he wasn't wrong though.

-Yes their conversation about about the past and the drawing was interesting, I don't have anything to add to what was said by others, but good to know where both HJ and JW stand on fate/destiny etc.  Will this lifetime be better?Will it be happier?

1 hour ago, Nodame said:

So we know that now he is not reliving a "long life" but actually this life remembers his past lives like HJ has too. So with JW and her getting closer and DG being jealous. 

Not sure how the prior lifetimes will play.

Another curiosity. I have questions, I know. :D I already noticed that but how come Ji Woo had the picture from the university of his past life? I really want to know. He knows the name of her past lover and even identified her grave.  It seems that he had more informations from those dreams.

1 hour ago, Nodame said:

The secretary's mom is annoying! I agree her loving touching the magazine cover of JW's face was "creepy." Why force your daughter to be with someone you are obsessed with? Not fair to her? I just don't care for her controlling ways. When she told her servant to order her daughter to have salad with no dressing as she needed to lose 2KG. Dang. TT

I did not find it creepy that he was  touching the magazine cover of Ji Woo`s face. I can understand that she could have lingering feelings about a past love and she identifies the Ji Won`s picture with that love. But I do find disturbing that her love for Jin Ho became an obsession and after more than 40 years she is pushing her daughter to marry an alike man. She wants to relive that love, to fulfill that past experience through her daughter. That`s not healthy.

What she said to her daughter about losing weight to be more attractive was cruel. She is already too skinny and she is beautiful the way she is. Her mother is a domineer and a bully.

3 hours ago, ashbelle said:

For some reason,  I find destined lovers trope a bit non exciting... We don't get to see the magic of first meeting, the freshness and all that follows .. Here, JW and DG are already a part of her life, equally pursuing her and they even  share history from their past lives.

I totally agree. So far I felt like Ji woo was the one who is interfering in Hyun Joo and Do Gyeom`s relationship, even if it is not a romantic relationship. :D What Ji Woo was wrong (to mess with Hyun Joo`s job and all) but now she is in his proximity more. We`ll have the oportunity to see more of them and see the sparks. 

23 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

.I think the drama will center around what choice Hyun Joo makes by the end....does she follow the pattern of her past lives or does she break free and make something new for herself....both Do Gyeom and Ji Woo are connections that are present in her life as a repetition of their entangled destiny over generations..

I loved how you said it. I want to see this. I want to see how Hyun joo takes the decisions from her life and "break free and make something new for herself."

8 hours ago, larus said:

Another curiosity. I have questions, I know. :D I already noticed that but how come Ji Woo had the picture from the university of his past life? I really want to know. He knows the name of her past lover and even identified her grave.  It seems that he had more informations from those dreams.

Yes I am curious about why he had the photo too! I am not sure but maybe he got someone to investigate into his past self. However I definitely agree that he has more information. He seems to remember the ugly parts of their past too whereas HJ is remembering mostly the romantic aspects of their past. I am just curious how long it would take for HJ to see JW and DG's faces in her flashback/dreams. Hahaha I wonder if she would see them and question herself as fantasising about them instead. Is JW having more memories of HJ because he had seen her first and continued in observing her? Does it mean if HJ spends more time with JW it would trigger her memories to come back sooner? But does not make sense if I consider the fact that she had been facing DG all her life. Just curious to know why JW recalled more memories and what are the factors triggering them. Not sure if the writer is just giving them random flashbacks at random times.

2 hours ago, fluffyloaf said:

Is JW having more memories of HJ because he had seen her first and continued in observing her? Does it mean if HJ spends more time with JW it would trigger her memories to come back sooner? But does not make sense if I consider the fact that she had been facing DG all her life. Just curious to know why JW recalled more memories and what are the factors triggering them

When he saw her the first time at the fake wedding her he knew who she was. That means  he saw her face in his dreams.

Hyun Joo spent so much time with Do gyeom but that never trigged her past memories. I interpreted that he was not someone who made a real impact in her previous lives. She loved her husband and she was hurt by him. Hyun Joo had the dreams after the accident when she was little and from time to time she remember plachbaks from her past lives. Of course it is a plot device from the writer that she will remember more after meeting and spending time with Ji Woo while he knows much more. We should not think too much about it.

I think Ji Woo had a similar accident in the water, he was about to drown just like little Hyun joo. Now I am curious if the wtiter made them have the same accident in the same time and place when they were young.

Knowing how this stories with predestined love works or how kdramas have tones of childhood meetings between the leads, I am almost sure it was the same incident. We`ll see.

@larus Great theories and yes I do wonder how and when he got the past lives memories. As you said if when he was young and similar age as HJ that would be soo cool and interesting.

Yes true we did see that JW did say - Found  you Indeed to himself during HJ marriage/commitment celebration to herself. Coincidentally JW was there and enjoying himself until he heard her voice & her speech too.

Agreed DG puppy never triggered those memories of her past hubby at all to HJ. Surprised we don’t see it HJ has inner turmoil  due to JW?!

Watch: Seo Ji Hoon Learns How To Charismatically Hold Hwang Jung Eum While Filming “To All The Guys Who Loved Me”

Jul 20, 2020

17ef0fbc66054809a64aedb24d0eeed7.jpeg?s=

KBS 2TV’s “To All the Guys Who Loved Me” released a new behind-the-scenes look at the drama!

The beginning of the video offers a peek into the busy life of Hwang Jung Eum, who plays the role of Seo Hyun Joo. She performs numerous physically demanding tasks during the filming, including carrying a suitcase up a flight of stairs and falling backwards to catch a flower bouquet at her friend’s wedding. Afterwards, Hwang Jung Eum watches her scenes on the monitor with a satisfied smile.

more

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1413635wpp/watch-seo-ji-hoon-learns-how-to-charismatically-hold-hwang-jung-eum-while-filming-to-all-the-guys-who-loved-me

by S. P

Thanks @0ly40

Busy morning with work. Sigh. Glad we have clips to watch later.

Here are more clips from ep 5 (see spoiler for the rest as there were many) Appreciate that KBS does do this.

Spoiler

Hwang Jung Eum And Seo Ji Hoon’s Relationship Takes An Awkward Turn In “To All The Guys Who Loved Me”

Jul 20, 2020

998729f83df64c95851c2e82781f3f15.jpeg?s=

KBS 2TV’s “To All the Guys Who Loved Me” has released new stills for the upcoming episode!

The romantic comedy tells the story of a woman who has given up on love and marriage after repeated heartbreaks. After finally deciding that all men are alike, she suddenly gets caught between two completely opposite men both vying for her love.

Spoilers

Previously, Seo Hyun Joo (Hwang Jung Eum) grew worried about her webtoon planning team’s new interns after their first meeting caused them to butt heads. However, the atmosphere of the team suddenly became more amicable after Hwang Ji Woo (Yoon Hyun Min) treated everyone to a company dinner.

The new stills show the webtoon planning team strengthening their teamwork through a game of dodge ball. Hwang Ji Woo approaches Park Do Kyum (Seo Ji Hoon), who looks down while holding the ball in his hands. The two men, who have thus far been in subtle conflict with each other, are expected to have a fiery showdown on the field. Meanwhile, Hwang Ji Woo observes the scene with a serious expression. Other members of the team, Han Seo Yoon (Jo Woo Ri) and Kim Da Eun (Han Da Sol) appear oblivious to the conflict as they cheer on the players.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1413864wpp/hwang-jung-eum-and-seo-ji-hoons-relationship-takes-an-awkward-turn-in-to-all-the-guys-who-loved-me

by S. P

I have to be honest. I'm having a difficult time rooting for Hwang Ji Woo as a romantic interest. He ruined Hyun Joo's career and reputation at her former company and while he owned up to it, he hasn't done anything other than follow her around. There's no attempt to 'woo' her or develop a relationship with her- he just tries to keep her in his orbit, control her and hope that their past life connection comes through. Everything the audience sees is based on their past life relationship but that doesn't translate to the present. Sure, at some point, she will remember her past life and 'voila'! she will be drawn to him. But the writers aren't giving me anything to root for with their relationship.

Meanwhile, Do Gyeom has an established relationship and camaraderie with her. We all know he's the cookie cutter second lead and he won't end up with Hyun Joo in the end, so it's even more frustrating that I'm rooting more for him at this point simply because he's being honest with Hyun Joo and they have a history together.

I need the writer to give me something soon or I'm going to be really bored of story quickly.

26 minutes ago, thingskateknows said:

I have to be honest. I'm having a difficult time rooting for Hwang Ji Woo as a romantic interest. He ruined Hyun Joo's career and reputation at her former company and while he owned up to it, he hasn't done anything other than follow her around. There's no attempt to 'woo' her or develop a relationship with her- he just tries to keep her in his orbit, control her and hope that their past life connection comes through. Everything the audience sees is based on their past life relationship but that doesn't translate to the present. Sure, at some point, she will remember her past life and 'voila'! she will be drawn to him. But the writers aren't giving me anything to root for with their relationship.

Meanwhile, Do Gyeom has an established relationship and camaraderie with her. We all know he's the cookie cutter second lead and he won't end up with Hyun Joo in the end, so it's even more frustrating that I'm rooting more for him at this point simply because he's being honest with Hyun Joo and they have a history together.

I need the writer to give me something soon or I'm going to be really bored of story quickly.

Thousand times this. Beyond his wealth and the crutch of his memories of past lives, Ji Woo has shown very little personality beyond the time he was drunk.

Hi guys! Just caught up with episode 5 and there were some fun moments- 

ezgif-7-241eccc97fa0.jpg

HJ's parents and DG hiding away from HJ in a bathtub. The thing that had me rolling was DG holding the chicken leg...Haha..The cringe came when HJ's father ate it in the bathroom ...

We got to see this cute chemistry scene !.. even though it was only imagination. Never knew JH and DG would have this much chemistry...haha

ezgif-4-60a82bdaff7d.gif

ezgif-7-5676fb318800.jpg

In the above pic HJ will be like...Guys.. Am here..HELLO!! ?? ..Suddenly she becomes the third wheel. Hehe..Nah...just kidding y'all. 

In the ending scene some one locks JW purposely in the tower. That person must know he is claustrophic...So do we have a villain in hiding or is it someone who is roaming in plain sight...? and what did JW write for the wish box?

This drama really keeps us guessing....

Hwang Jung Eum Guides Yoon Hyun Min And Seo Ji Hoon In Awkward Dance Session On “To All The Guys Who Loved Me”

Jul 21, 2020
by C. Hong
d224e26129124eb49e29bfc76cc4de25.jpeg?s=

KBS’s “To All the Guys Who Loved Me” released new stills of Hwang Jung Eum, Yoon Hyun Min, and Seo Ji Hoon ahead of the upcoming episode.

Spoilers

In the previous episode, Park Do Kyum (Seo Ji Hoon) and Hwang Ji Woo (Yoon Hyun Min) got into a fight after Park Do Kyum saw the contents of the note that Hwang Ji Woo had left to Seo Hyun Joo (Hwang Jung Eum).

Spoiler

hwang-jung-eum-yoon-hyun-min-seo-ji-hoon

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1414039wpp/hwang-jung-eum-guides-yoon-hyun-min-and-seo-ji-hoon-in-awkward-dance-session-on-to-all-the-guys-who-loved-me

lmao episode 5 was quite funny :D especially the part when HJ's parents and DG were having dinner. The part when HJ's mum was doing signals for the dad to bring out the chicken soup or not LOL. And the part when the 3 of them were hiding in the bathtub :lol:. They really had to carry a saucepan & a chicken leg !! And during the workshop when JW + DG were having that imagination gay scene LOLOLOL.

Something that strikes me was that DG mentioned he decided his life was one color ever since 10 years ago? Means he fell in love w HJ 10 years ago. I wonder if this means something had happened 10 years ago for him to fall in love with HJ/ he regained his past life memories then?

So far i am still not feeling the JW x HJ ship yet ,though i know it's likely they will be the end game? Will have to see to decide! Now that the other woman (sorry can't rmb her name) knows the existence of HJ, i think she will try to break them up again??

3 hours ago, Ashbelle said:

In the ending scene some one locks JW purposely in the tower. That person must know he is claustrophic...So do we have a villain in hiding or is it someone who is roaming in plain sight...? and what did JW write for the wish box?

This drama really keeps us guessing....

i think it could be some kind of force.. like cursed fate or destiny? i'm just curious when will HJ finally sees the face of her lover in her blurred memories. did those star crossed lovers always ended with one of them dead or something? also, what is DG's role in their past relationships...

@Ashbelle i was literally LOL at the imaginary scene at the ball game... omo omo... that was one strong grip JW had on DG's neck and shoulder... (can i ship them instead?? LOL)

:sparklyeyes:

Hello and thanks /welcome @Ashbelle

I have not watched Monday's episode as I was busy and it got too late to watch it. I will watch both Monday and Tuesday's episodes tonight.

But here thanks to generous KBS here are the clips from today's episode.

I am on lunch break now.

Spoiler

Here is the preview for ep 7 next week:

I watched this week episodes. I decided to watch without thinking too much. I found myself asking in the middle of an episode what is with this parody, sometimes I laughed at ridiculous scenes. That`s a good sign. I have to remind myself that this is a kdrama rom-com. :w00t:

I said that I won`t think too much about the scenes but I have to comment about the CPR. I am not an expert or something but the heroine is doing a CPR or even mouth to mouth breathing everytime she sees Ji Woo fainted. :lol:  The CPR is necesarry in a cardiac arrest, right? I hope the writer will find an oportunity for the protagonists to kiss or get close in a meaningful way. One useless CPR is enough.

Ji Woo and Do Gyeom continue to "fight" like teens for the same woman. I don`t mind. They are funny. I like how Hyun joo don`t want to be in the middle and put them together (like learning the waltz scene).  Do Gyeom needs these moments. I think it is better that he is spending time with Ji woo as well. He needs time to move on from his crush and in the same time he has to know more Ji Woo to accept that he is a good man for Hyun Joo. Do Gyeom and Hyun Joo`s relationship is too close to break. I think they will be fine. They are already a family. If she will choose Jo Woo, Do Gyeom will accept eventually.

When Do Gyeom get serious and look at Hyun joo with puppy eyes, I am thinking ....can he has a chance? But we all know thinks are going in kdramas. I agree that Ji Woo needs quality times with the heroine. Not only her but the audience need to feel the atraction between them. We want to see how the heroine will fall in love. The past lives are not enough, IMO.

I am curious to find out about the past events and Kim Sun hee. I don`t understand her obsession.

Archived