[Drama 2020] To All the Guys Who Loved Me/ Men Are Men, 그놈이 그놈이다

larus

“To All The Guys Who Loved Me” Sees Boost In Ratings For Second Episode

Jul 8, 2020
by R. Jun
125eb671411c49b0ad4ab7b21898bc99.jpeg?s=

KBS’s “To All the Guys Who Loved Me” has seen a boost in ratings with its second episode.

The drama, starring Hwang Jung Eum and Yoon Hyun Min, is a romantic comedy about a woman who has given up on love and marriage after repeated heartbreaks. After deciding that all men are the same, she suddenly gets caught between two completely opposite men vying for her love.

According to Nielsen Korea, the drama recorded averages of 2.7 and 4.4 percent viewership on July 7, for a 0.5 point increase from the previous episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1411526wpp/to-all-the-guys-who-loved-me-sees-boost-in-ratings-for-second-episode

Premiere Watch: Men Are Men, The Good Detective, Was It Love, Graceful Friends, Train

by missvictrix

Men Are Men

premwatch_menaremen2.jpg

Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Broadcaster: KBS
Genre: Fantasy, romance
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: If you miss Hwang Jung-eum after the end of Mystic Pop-up Bar, the pre-production stars have aligned, and her next drama Men Are Men, is happening on Monday! While I admit she’s not my favorite actress, I do have a serious soft spot for our male leads here: Yoon Hyun-min and Seo Ji-hoon. Both confess their love for our heroine, who fully plans to stay single — and I honestly have no idea how this drama will handle a love triangle of this nature. Or how we will. Team Hyun-min? Team Ji-hoon? Wait, can’t we just have both?

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/premiere-watch-men-are-men-the-good-detective-was-it-love-graceful-friends-train/

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad to have picked it up, the first two episodes were easy breezy with right amount of intrigue.....I hope it stays that way for the remainder of the run..........I see the ratings are average, hope this picks up

Mystic Pop Up Bar got me here for Hwang Jung Eum and I am loving the development so far! Seems like a light-hearted watch with a lot of hilarious scenes and I especially like the character of Seo Hyun Joo. Some of the scenes in the first two episodes appeal to me a lot like when she gave her speech at the wedding and when she told off her chauvinistic blind date by shifting the context to the opposite gender. Very interested to find out more about the strange CEO too. Already looking forward to the next episode.

It is obvious that Hwang Ji-Woo knows who is Seo Hyun joo from the past memories. Maybe he dreamt like young Hyun Joo.  When he saw her at her self made wedding (I don`t knowhowto call it), he said `I finally find You`. Seeing him not enjoying his young life, like he waited form something/someone all his life, i felt sorry for him. Ji Woo make sure she was fired from her old job and he hired her at his company. He arranged a matchmaker meeting. He made sure Do Gyeom will live close to him.

He said at his father`s grave (I assume): "I will be joinning you soon." (something like that). It was like he knows that he will die soon. He thinks that after he will meet Hyun Joo and marry her he will die just like it happened in his past lives?  It is very sad. I am curious why everything repeats itself?

I laughed so much at Hyun Joo and Do Gyeom`s tricks to get away from her blind dates. I love them very much.  It was satisfying to see her respond to that annoying doctor (sorry Lee Jong Hyuk:D). I hope Do Gyeom won`t be too brokenhearted. I wish they will keep him in the crush mode and not go very deep. Let them be friends unless he is the one for her and not Ji woo. But after so many years being a close frineds I will not like their dynamic to change. 

What an embarassing moment for Seo-Yoon!  Her mother made her buy a wedding dress, shows up at her work and her mother asking her boss if he is married. From what I saw, Kim Sun-Hee loved Ji woo`s father in colleage. It was an unrequited love?

Ji Woo can travel through time, is that what it says in his character description.......is it time travel or he knows his past and future hence he is in rush to settle things?? He clearly knows Hyun Joo from past lives, I adore young Hyun Joo by the way, she was hilarious.......and Seo Ji Hoon is so incredibly funny and lovable here....I am so torn between the two

Hi friend at @fluffyloaf good to see you here!

I have a lot to catch up on tonight. Leaving work at 10pm did not help. :bawling: But real life and deadlines call.

I haven't read all the comments. But love we got a mother lode of CLIPS.

-Hyun Joo and Do Gyum were hilarious  ( fell asleep but did see the scenes of the marriage meetings though before I did) I do agree, how DG came in acting cute but wearing LOUD clothing. LOL

-Hyun Joo's mom hearing she lost her job and asked for her LOAN be paid back of agree to go on marriage dates and just get married. Her parents are definitely not loving she is not wanting to get married. When her job is gone, it is their way to get what they want

-Seeing Hyun Joo and Ji Woo's dreams (ok more HJ) we see they do notice each other. I wonder what is the deal in the prior lives that poor HJ has to be left by prior lives JW. (Is this LIFE going to be ANY different as TOO reincarnations who him leaving her.) The point when a young & obviously underage Hyun Joo waking up with her prior life memories not wanting to get married and asking for SOJU was hilarious.

- I love her tribe of GF who share everything and hangout with her! So cute and love it! Usually we see our FL with one or two gal pals at most. So it was adorbs to see them (with childhood pic to boot) of her three friends

-I love the actor who plays Ji Woo and glad he is LEAD here. Not sure what his deal is for his character.

But when HJ found out some personal data from her GF that JW has NEVER expressed interest in women or dated makes HJ think about how his with her.

-Glad HJ got vengeance on her ex boss Gyo Seok (cameo) and got an AMAZING job and did not care for our dear FL having to bow and scrape to him (BTW that old boss is a great actor in many MEAN not characters he has played. IRL he is so sweet with his family as I saw in Return of Superman.) But in the foyer of the building and seeing his HEART (LOL) boxers as she grabbed his pants. EPIC comedy!

-HJ did well trying to help JW after they were stuck in the elevator. I did agree that when he was going to offer his handkerchief (I TOO for a hot minute is he going to kidnap her? But then I realized maybe he saw her tears and offering it. ) He is a bit weird stalking her and paying everyone it seems to get her to LEAVE her old place (when she was in charge of the top 5 web toon artists too) definitely did NOT make sense. Love she had great colleagues but rotted she had to leave.

The cameo of web toon artist Lee Si Eon as web toon /girl group stan Si Un was funny! HJ knew him so well to find out where he went and got him rare fan gear/stuff . Poor HJ really suffered cleaning for that OCD one and doing other stuff to maintain the working environments and try to get the artists to meet deadlines when wanting to be a web toon artist herself must have been a TOUGH 5 years.

Dang she was 3 days shy of 5 yrs and hoping to get ex boss to fulfill his promise to let her debut as a web toon artist just vanish. :headbang:

-Seeing bromance between Do Gyum and Ji Woo living together did seem weird and why they tried to give a gay "tinge" when IT was not the case?

I wonder when they will reveal more of DG fascination of JW? Other than he overheard her solo self love party and said  I found her. (What a way to try to get that woman in your life---alot of work. Why not just try to meet her? )

Hyun Joo's parents when they looked up Ji Woo's info they were high fiving! LOL They must have felt they saved a country in another life. (Said when some good fortune /luck befalls you).

Ok I need to get back to work but enjoying this drama balancing my weekly drama diet at the present.

@larus thanks for your recap.  Is those two guys moving in together a form of keep your enemies(rivals) close. That way, one knows what they are up to. I guess the bromance is just a way to give the drama a little humor; especially with the young rival. Seo-Yoon's mom looks like she wants to conger up something, a potion. Does that hanky have magical powers.

I liked Episode 2 more than the pilot episode. I must confess that I am loving this mystery that surrounds the characters and the gradual unfolding of the mysterious past. I especially love the 'Epilogues'. This show gives me so many feels.. It has that Goblin-ish feel to it. And although I love HJE since her 'Secret' days. She was terrific there. So i fail to understand why she goes a little OTT in her roles, especially in comic roles. 

I am loving the pace of the story as well. However, I wish they would do away with too many 'lighter' moments. It kind of kills the intensity which they build up quite nicely.

12 hours ago, larus said:

It is obvious that Hwang Ji-Woo knows who is Seo Hyun joo from the past memories. Maybe he dreamt like young Hyun Joo.  When he saw her at her self made wedding (I don`t knowhowto call it), he said `I finally find You`. Seeing him not enjoying his young life, like he waited form something/someone all his life, i felt sorry for him. Ji Woo make sure she was fired from her old job and he hired her at his company. He arranged a matchmaker meeting. He made sure Do Gyeom will live close to him.

He said at his father`s grave (I assume): "I will be joinning you soon." (something like that). It was like he knows that he will die soon. He thinks that after he will meet Hyun Joo and marry her he will die just like it happened in his past lives?  It is very sad. I am curious why everything repeats itself?

Although I like the funny parts, it is this slightly darker mystery that intrigues me and makes me want to keep watching.  

Just done two episodes. I like it! I really enjoy watching it. One thing that I complainant does why this triangle trope punk keep showing off in each drama I watch???

I know for now I am okay with this set up. But as the story goes deeper. I know DG likes his noona more than just a family/best friend love. He likes her as a woman. I can tell that he's going to be broken heart soon. Sigh. 

And I see that the story is going this way, a fate will keep meeting each other. So this is about another fantasy of the husband finding his wife reincarnation?? Hmm... sound like the opposite of woodcutter story before. Lols. But nevermind. I still find it fun for now. Glad that I find something interesting to watch every mon-tue now! 

Hwang Jung Eum looks different from her previous drama "She was Pretty". For one moment, could not recognise her & thought it was another actress. She looks prettier previously but now not so attractive, aged somewhat. Not sure my eyes playing tricks or not, but whatever she acts well. This drama is really hilarious and fun to watch.

Men Are Men: Episodes 1-2

by Laica

MenAreMen0102-00084.jpg

Men Are Men starts strong, giving us a heroine who has taken a stand against a conventional life, but faces roadblocks she never imagined on the way to her dreams. As if that isn’t enough, she’s dealing with suddenly surfacing memories from past lives, and a mysterious man who seems to be pulling strings in her life from afar. But she’s no damsel in distress, she’s refreshingly prepared to stand up for herself when she needs to, and confident enough to forge her own path. I’m in.

Note: This is only a first episode recap.

EPISODE 1 RECAP

MenAreMen0102-00003.jpgMenAreMen0102-00009.jpg

A woman walks down a dark hallway, lingering outside an apartment door before heading to the roof. Inside the apartment, webtoon writer OH SHI-UN (cameo by Lee Shi-un) makes excuses to his producer about not being able to work because of his sick mother—until she calls him out for fanboying instead. From outside his window, which she threatens to break if he doesn’t let her in. This is our heroine, SEO HYUN-JOO (Hwang Jung-eum).

Elsewhere, HWANG JI-WOO (Yoon Hyun-min), dressed for mourning, drops a white chrysanthemum into the sea.

As Hyun-joo works with the writer, we see a montage of all the writers she manages, and how above and beyond she goes to make sure they keep up with their deadlines—including providing them with herbal supplements, keeping them awake, even serving as a model. While Hyun-joo is distracted, someone calls the writer and assures him he’ll soon receive payment for the secret job he’s doing for them.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/men-are-men-episodes-1-2/

First Impressions: “To All The Guys Who Loved Me” Is More Than Your Basic Rom-Com

Jul 11, 2020
125eb671411c49b0ad4ab7b21898bc99.jpeg?s=

To All the Guys Who Loved Me,” the latest romantic comedy offering from KBS, stars Hwang Jung Eum as Seo Hyun Joo, a woman who finds that all men are alike and thus gives up on love and marriage. After announcing that she’s going to stay unmarried for the rest of her life, Hwang Ji Woo (Yoon Hyun Min), a good-looking CEO of a pharmaceutical company starts popping up around her. His arrival also ignites the protectiveness — as well as other feelings — in Hyun Joo’s close (younger) male friend, Park Do Kyum (Seo Ji Hoon).

Here’s a closer look at what happened in the premiere episodes:

Warning: Spoilers ahead! 

Seo Hyun Joo is a webtoon producer who works at My Toon. She goes above and beyond at her job, cleaning up after the artists under her care, modelling reference photos for them, and even chasing them around when they are unable to upload their work before the deadlines. Basically, she’s a glorified babysitter. But her efforts pay off as her artists’ webtoons are all ranked top on their site, thus also making her the top producer at the agency.

To-All-Guys-Who-Loved-Me-Hwang-Jung-Eum-

While Hyun Joo is great at her job, her personal life has less outstanding results. She meets her first boyfriend in high school who is a complete mama’s boy. Naturally, he breaks up with her because his mom tells him to. Then continues a parade of not-great boyfriends, causing her to lose her belief in love. Then, in comes a guy who apparently changes her mind. He even proposes, and they throw an engagement party, but as it turns out, the engagement party is for her to get engaged to her forever partner… herself. Hyun Joo announces that she can think of many reasons against marriage rather than for marriage, and thus intends to stay single for the rest of her life. It’s an impassioned speech, and while it’s supposed to foreshadow how’s she’s not going to stay single for long, she still makes some great points. I especially love the message of how loving your own self is just as important.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1411557wpp/first-impressions-to-all-the-guys-who-loved-me-is-more-than-your-basic-rom-com

This is a really cute show.

Is it me or marriage seem to go well with Hwang Jung Eum LoL?! She looks radiant! I love her chemistry with both men. The tent mishap was predictable but yet so funny. I get this theme that's goin' around in asian dramas that women become useless at a certain age or worse they become leftovers if not in a marriage or family of their own.

The drama poster instantly reminds me of Marilyn Monroe's "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend."  

22 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

The drama poster instantly reminds me of Marilyn Monroe's "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend."  

23 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

This is a really cute show.

Is it me or marriage seem to go well with Hwang Jung Eum LoL?! She looks radiant! I love her chemistry with both men.

You read my mind in this, and one more have to say that she is very stylish here!! WOW I never saw here so in previous dramas. This drama is really great! 

On 7/10/2020 at 8:45 AM, larus said:

It’s early, but Do-gyum is the one I’m rooting for, whether as a love interest or a lifelong best friend. He stands up for Hyun-joo but follows her lead, he supports her decisions even when they’re unpopular, her parents love him already, he’s a major cutie…there is no downside here. And my hope springs eternal—this PD directed Chief Kim, after all! Maybe the real happy ending here will be Hyun-joo and Do-gyum starting their own webtoon company together, while Ji-woo reads their comics in his dark office. Creepily.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1411557wpp/first-impressions-to-all-the-guys-who-loved-me-is-more-than-your-basic-rom-com

I agree with this. I really love Hyun Joo and Do gyum`s relationship. I cheer for them to remain best friends but if the show wants to go to love triangle route, I hope he won`t be too heartboken if she will chose Ji Woo. I won`t mind if she will chose Do Gyum but so far she is treated him like a sibling.

I was thinking about their own company after she was fired. Maybe they will do it in the end of the show. Best friends for live!!!!!

MenAreMen0102-00079.jpg

On 7/12/2020 at 1:13 AM, larus said:

I agree with this. I really love Hyun Joo and Do gyum`s relationship. I cheer for them to remain best friends but if the show wants to go to love triangle route, I hope he won`t be too heartboken if she will chose Ji Woo. I won`t mind if she will chose Do Gyum but so far she is treated him like a sibling.

I was thinking about their own company after she was fired. Maybe they will do it in the end of the show. Best friends for live!!!!!

Yes, if this is just going to be another by the numbers love triangle where HJ chooses JW because of their past please let me know because I don't want to waste my time....

On 7/8/2020 at 11:09 PM, larus said:

pcJIFsZ.jpg

Yo, just wanna share my opinion on this scene cuz I'm curious also hehe. If we refer to same scene (I assume), the name appeared on the tomb seems a female name Song Min Joo (plus, if its his father the family name should be Hwang, except Jin-woo is adopted or has different daddy)

and guessing also from the date, this person passed away when he/she was 27-years-old (which just had me questioned if it somehow relates to Hyun-joo as we know from her past memories that she was very young then- perhaps, 27 years old?)

when Jin-woo put the flowers on the tomb, he said please wait for me, I'm on my way to meet you (before that we saw the white-hair Secretary Nam made the phone call to that webtoon artist as he claimed everything goes as planned)

PS: and all these memories of past lives kinda reminds me the tale in Goblin when people has four lives, if the tale works the same in this show  it means this timeline is Ji-woo and Hyun-Joo's final live (if Jin-woo is really the one in the past three lives)

Archived