Coronavirus / COVID-19

singlebilingual

@angelangie  I heard there was a mass meeting of 1000s of Hindus on a beach in Penang in early March.

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2020/03/15/penang-hindu-temples-urged-to-postpone-gatherings-services/

Can you shed some light on that re:new cases Covid in Penang ? Thanks.

Well Malaysia now is in lockdown 18 March-31 March 2020. My friend this morning went to her nearest supermarket-Jaya Grocers For the locals info-at 9.30am. Lots of people already waiting outside for it to open. No trolleys left. And when it opened, the supermarket was 90% empty ! People had gone panic buying the night b4 and no more stock left in the supermarket.

Lockdown doesn't mean can't get groceries. All this panic buying is crazy. 

The Malaysian government are going to deploy 1000 housemen/interns to triage all over the country.-only giving them 5 days of induction/learning. I'll be so angry if my child was one of the doctors ! Why can't the politicians triage-they are so highly intelligent I'm sure 5 days after 5 days of induction would be more than enough. Just point the infrared thermometer and shot to see if have fever.

:joy:  Trump wanted to cut a deal with a private lab in Germany that's quite progressive in developing the vaccine. He told them the US govt willl pay but must be given to Americans only. If you want to know more, google. 

Actually now is the time when the home gardeners who do veggie patching and have their own chickens, fruit trees etc don't have to worry. 

My philosophy has always been to turn a negative to a positive. Maybe I'll lose some weight from the lockdown or not. :lol:

I better start my own vegetable container garden in Malaysia. :D Live more healthy. I've got a worm farm now in Malaysia and I've made my EM1 solution that can make Bokashi for composting in case the garbage men can't come.

Stay healthy everyone !

• Like 1

I'm sure a lot of you already know this app cos I'm technologically challenged. Anyways there's this free App called Zoom Cloud Meeting which can allow up to 100 participants to talk to one another. Of course the participant's wifi must be good. Thought I'd share this App cos so many places are on lockdown so you can talk to relatives everywhere/ hold meetings/etc. My church is already webcasting and now we're going to use this app for our Bible classes and life groups. 

So here the government has put a restrictions on number of people attending weddings, public events etc. Wait for it, the chief minister himself attended a wedding a few hours later which had thousand people if not more!! :crazy:

Two people who knowingly planned and escaped the quarantine has been charged with interrupting state function and spreading epidemic. I pray this puts some sense in rest of the population.

• Insightful 1

On 3/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, staygold said:

So here the government has put a restrictions on number of people attending weddings, public events etc. Wait for it, the chief minister himself attended a wedding a few hours later which had thousand people if not more!! :crazy:

Two people who knowingly planned and escaped the quarantine has been charged with interrupting state function and spreading epidemic. I pray this puts some sense in rest of the population.

@staygold May I know what country you're from? Thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, refuse2sink said:

@staygold May I know what country you're from? Thanks.

India B)

2 hours ago, angelangie said:

also i heard that your PM had actually press down the figures so the actual figures was not reflected, i think this is not right as the actual figures had to be known for the rest to be aware that this is SERIOUS!

Same concern is being raised here. Since we r not testing extensively lower numbers reported.

2 hours ago, angelangie said:

also i heard that your PM had actually press down the figures so the actual figures was not reflected, i think this is not right as the actual figures had to be known for the rest to be aware that this is SERIOUS!

Actually that's the rumor here too. I don't think they are honest about the number of cases plus not everyone is being tested as well. The awareness is still not there. I'm scared that in two weeks time, we will be like another Italy. With the population like this it will be very much difficult to control. 

I think the numbers are under-reported pretty much everywhere that isn't doing extensive testing. Here we have a ton of confirmed cases at this point but they've still limited tests to those who have 1. known contact with a confirmed case, 2. recent travel history to a country with known cases. The problem is that it has clearly already spread throughout the community here.

I understand that the test kits are limited and so they're trying to save them for those most likely to have contracted it by known means but it will be interesting to see how the titer test numbers look when this is all over. I'm betting there's going to be a lot more people who had mild cases than we're seeing right now. 

9 minutes ago, phikyl said:

I think the numbers are under-reported pretty much everywhere that isn't doing extensive testing. Here we have a ton of confirmed cases at this point but they've still limited tests to those who have 1. known contact with a confirmed case, 2. recent travel history to a country with known cases. The problem is that it has clearly already spread throughout the community here.

That's the same testing protocol we have here too. They keep insisting that the community transmission has not yet happened here. But I highly doubt that. Since the death rate is higher in elderly patients they can atleast test all the geriatric patients and give them proper care before it becomes serious. The percentage of elderly population is comparatively low here than in many other countries, so we can easily control the death rate if we act properly. 

@angelangie You take care too!!!!! 

This is a public forum so we'll have to watch what we say here. Bottom line:

1) Lockdown is good. Social distancing. Don't know how bad the panic buying is where you all live but if you're allowed to still go out and buy food, then don't worry. Once all the panic buyers have stocked up, you can definitely get your food and you're not cramped up next to the panic buyer who's a stranger. 

2) Good old soap and water works just fine for washing hands as long as you follow the 20 sec protocol for washing your hands thoroughly and remember washing the dirt in your finger nails. Can use an old toothbrush to scrub the finger nails. Surgeons have a small brush to scrub their finger nails while washing hands b4 surgery. Sing Happy Birthday 2x and time yourself if that lasts 20 sec. :)  That's an average guide.

3) Take Vit D with Calcium.

4) Hydroxychloroquine (an anti malarial drug) taken with an anti viral now has been found to be quite effective in symptomatic patients. What that means is we are making strides medically compared to a couple of months ago. 

5) For @Sejabin do you have the cloth diapers? That's just in case you run out of disposable diapers. When my sons were babies, they wore cloth diapers unless we were going out. Their bums got eczema easily from disposable diapers if they poo or pass a big load of urine :D Guess disposable diapers are better nowadays. I'd wash off all the poo/pee from the cloth diapers. Put the diapers in a big bucket and pour boiling water with a bit of dettol and soap liquid to thoroughly disinfect. 

6) Eat home cooked food. Or if your favourite and "clean" restaurants do take away, collect them yourself. We don't know the health status of the delivery person. 

7) Make sure your parents or grandparents have enough stock of their medicines.

Feel free to add more suggestions, Ladies. 

5 hours ago, angelangie said:

something good out of Covid-19 :)

I saw something yesterday that the canals have clearer water than has been seen in decades thanks to the lack of boat traffic!

10 hours ago, angelangie said:

good to see this happening, why cant they think for the police too? @triplem

Good to see what the police are doing. 

I hope the people can start being considerate for the public officers ~ police, the medical workers ~ and just stay away to avoid exposure and possible infection. Only 14 days to ease up the spread. Why is it so difficult to stay at home when technology is so advanced now... 

4 hours ago, Sushimi said:

But it did say that the virus is treatable...the percentage of survival rate is quite high...now I don’t know what to trust already...

It's because Italy has the second most highest elderly population in the world. Death rate is higher among old people, so I'm guessing that all the old people got infected from the younger people by the time they put the lockdown. It's really a sad situation. 

4 minutes ago, angelangie said:

not to mention they actually let their old just wait for death......there is a news report that declare those over 80s will not be given the actual care or they will not even try to cure for them....they will be just left for death

According to triage rules, people who have the most chance of survival by spending limited resources will only be saved in a mass casuality like this. They just don't have enough resources to treat everyone equally.  It's extremely sad. 

9 minutes ago, angelangie said:

unfortunately MY didnt learn either.... :/ they are still going out.....

Our Prime Minister has suggested a experimental lockdown this Sunday. "Janata curfew". I don't know how effective it is going to be. He also asked everyone to come to their balcony at exactly 5pm on Sunday and clap to thank all the health and other essential service workers who are tirelessly working for us. So if 1 billion people clap at the same time I guess everyone in the neighbouring countries can hear it too. Hahahahaha. 

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/coronavirus-narendra-modi-calls-for-determination-patience-and-a-janata-curfew/article31111259.ece

Now it is officially a lock down for my city till 31st March. All shops, parks, schools, and offices closed. A police vehicle went around announcing people are not to venture out unless they have an absolutely valid reason.

15 minutes ago, angelangie said:

Olympics most probably to be delay

Yep. They've officially been delayed to 2021. It's the first time it's happened in peacetime for the past 150 years I think. The last few times, it was delayed because of wars.