Quantcast

8 hours ago, singlebilingual said:

This isn't the fault of every Chinese. Most of the Chinese are victims, too. And it's not just the Chinese who'd get attacked. People outside of Asia can't differentiate between the different East Asian ethnicities.

Yes that's true. I was trying to point out the fact of how bigoted and irresponsible mainstream newspapers can be and that was why a wave of racist attacks on the Chinese in the Western world happened bcos they blamed the Chinese for the Wuhan virus. In Italy in the earlier stages, some Italians attacked a man in a hoodie wearing a mask thinking he's Chinese.Turns out he was Italian. In the UK a Singaporean guy was attacked and has facial fractures-now that's a really hard beating-just for being Chinese. As an overseas Chinese who've experienced racist bigotry, that aspect of the Western world is despicable and so uncivilised. 

• Insightful 1

in this scarry situation. It is better to praying for each other and not blaming each other. 

I am so afraid right now but trying to strengthen myself. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, refuse2sink said:

Yes that's true. I was trying to point out the fact of how bigoted and irresponsible mainstream newspapers can be and that was why a wave of racist attacks on the Chinese in the Western world happened bcos they blamed the Chinese for the Wuhan virus. In Italy in the earlier stages, some Italians attacked a man in a hoodie wearing a mask thinking he's Chinese.Turns out he was Italian. In the UK a Singaporean guy was attacked and has facial fractures-now that's a really hard beating-just for being Chinese. As an overseas Chinese who've experienced racist bigotry, that aspect of the Western world is despicable and so uncivilised. 

Yes. I was agreeing with you.

• Love 2

These are definitely unprecedented times. I’m not sure why everyone is buying up toilet paper here in the US though. :lol: That’s about the only thing I find funny in this situation. I feel so bad for the small businesses all over the world who will go bankrupt because of countries, states and cities shutting down and the many employees across the tourism and related industries that will likewise be impacted. Some people also only get paid when they work. The economic impact is very concerning. People looking jobs have also seen their recruitment opportunities put on hold because a lot of the businesses here in the US are in the “wait and see” mode. I live in New York and I can’t even believe how crazy it is here with the run on grocery stores including online grocery stores. Most of us are also working from home this week.

Nevertheless, I can see why governments choose to shut down their cities at great economic risk to suppress the spread of this infectious disease. For instance, it’s reported that one lawyer in New York infected 108 people. Imagine if each of those people in turn infected another 100 people.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, nrllee said:

No they were caught on the back foot because of Crazy Ahjumma from the cult.  They were already enacting their control measures very early on.  There were 200,000 members in that cult alone.  The cult weren’t forthcoming with release of member names to enable fast tracking of contacts, so in the meantime, it spread in Daegu.  I think South Korea responded admirably.  They have the most rigorous and widespread testing worldwide.  Personally for me, the safest countries (with regards to COVID) in the world right now are China, HK, South Korea and Singapore.  These are countries that have experienced SARS/MERS so they have protocols they action straight away.  They’ve had drills regularly.  They have stockpiles ready to cater for the pandemic.  Everyone else is making the protocols up as they go along and trying to play catch up.  From the figures, I would say South Korea has controlled the initial outbreak in Daegu.  When my daughter and I were in Seoul just before the outbreak in Daegu, it was a very coordinated and organized effort nationwide.  Everywhere we went there was hand sanitizers to use for free.  Everyone wore masks (they didn’t have shortages, they were handing them out at museums and tourist spots), so you didn’t feel like a leper if you did (I know this isn’t feasible in other countries because it would lead to panic buying and the health professionals who need it most would be left without).  At the train stations, regular announcements were made in English, Chinese and Korean about Coronavirus and how to prevent it.  And if there was a positive case in your vicinity, your phone would receive a message pretty much straight away notifying you to be extra careful.  It was that fast.  The government was decisive and transparent so the people were kept informed about the cases and decisions made.

I recall watching the drama Life...and when Won JinAh’s character was showing Cho SeungWoo around the hospital, she showed him one wing with beds (unused) all equipped for such a pandemic.   She told him it was set up because of what they learnt from the MERS outbreak.  It was set up as a preventative just for occasions such as this. They are well and truly prepared for this.

In South Korea, the outbreak began in late January, which was before the mass cult gathering. Before that mass gathering, the infection number was still low. The problem was that the virus was hard to detect at the airports during its incubation period, and it still spread to other people during that incubation period. Prior to the mass cult gathering, the president claimed that the outbreak would be over in Korea soon. He and his officials encouraged people to go back to their normal routines. At that time, a lot of the Koreans weren't aware of the full dangers of this virus. I was aware of it since January thanks to the whistleblowers in Wuhan. The Koreans who studied in China translated the videos of those whistleblowers. But encouraged by the president's words, the cult went ahead with the mass gathering. This was when the infections began to rise exponentially in South Korea.

Yes, South Korea is doing well now. But the number of infections in South Korea could've been much lower. This is a dangerous and very difficult virus to contain that requires as few mistakes as possible. I'm very disappointed at how the governments around the world handled this with the exception of a few countries mentioned above. It looks like South Korea did well because so many other governments did worse. To be honest, I lost confidence in the world's capability in preventing a pandemic after what happened so far. What if a more dangerous virus becomes a pandemic?

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

@angelangie  I heard there was a mass meeting of 1000s of Hindus on a beach in Penang in early March.

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2020/03/15/penang-hindu-temples-urged-to-postpone-gatherings-services/

Can you shed some light on that re:new cases Covid in Penang ? Thanks.

Well Malaysia now is in lockdown 18 March-31 March 2020. My friend this morning went to her nearest supermarket-Jaya Grocers For the locals info-at 9.30am. Lots of people already waiting outside for it to open. No trolleys left. And when it opened, the supermarket was 90% empty ! People had gone panic buying the night b4 and no more stock left in the supermarket.

Lockdown doesn't mean can't get groceries. All this panic buying is crazy. 

The Malaysian government are going to deploy 1000 housemen/interns to triage all over the country.-only giving them 5 days of induction/learning. I'll be so angry if my child was one of the doctors ! Why can't the politicians triage-they are so highly intelligent I'm sure 5 days after 5 days of induction would be more than enough. Just point the infrared thermometer and shot to see if have fever.

:joy:  Trump wanted to cut a deal with a private lab in Germany that's quite progressive in developing the vaccine. He told them the US govt willl pay but must be given to Americans only. If you want to know more, google. 

Actually now is the time when the home gardeners who do veggie patching and have their own chickens, fruit trees etc don't have to worry. 

My philosophy has always been to turn a negative to a positive. Maybe I'll lose some weight from the lockdown or not. :lol:

I better start my own vegetable container garden in Malaysia. :D Live more healthy. I've got a worm farm now in Malaysia and I've made my EM1 solution that can make Bokashi for composting in case the garbage men can't come.

Stay healthy everyone !

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

I'm sure a lot of you already know this app cos I'm technologically challenged. Anyways there's this free App called Zoom Cloud Meeting which can allow up to 100 participants to talk to one another. Of course the participant's wifi must be good. Thought I'd share this App cos so many places are on lockdown so you can talk to relatives everywhere/ hold meetings/etc. My church is already webcasting and now we're going to use this app for our Bible classes and life groups. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

7 hours ago, refuse2sink said:

Can you shed some light on that re:new cases Covid in Penang ? Thanks.

Well Malaysia now is in lockdown 18 March-31 March 2020. My friend this morning went to her nearest supermarket-Jaya Grocers For the locals info-at 9.30am. Lots of people already waiting outside for it to open. No trolleys left. And when it opened, the supermarket was 90% empty ! People had gone panic buying the night b4 and no more stock left in the supermarket.

i dunno what to say lols as most of the are already empty and there is one wet market already closed down hahaha.....i work up to over 100 whatapps msgs......well for my office we have been working from home for almost 1 week now since last week......so i wont feel the effect by much as we have the full utilities to actually operate as normal from home..... of course a must is good internet connection....

i can only tell you that this lockdown will impact more on the already weaken economy in Msia sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

7 hours ago, refuse2sink said:

@angelangie  I heard there was a mass meeting of 1000s of Hindus on a beach in Penang in early March.

actually if this happen before the outbreak from the mosque then we actually cant fault them.......however i dont want to comment much on it....as this is a bit sensitive to be honest.....everyone have a different set of thinking....just like the other state that comment that their God will protect them from Covid-19? i dont want to debuff them on this however at a times of this i honestly prefer them to be more practical?

yes we all have a God we believe in...however at a times like this rationality with a lil practical thinking actually is needed

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, angelangie said:

i dunno what to say lols as most of the are already empty and there is one wet market already closed down hahaha.....i work up to over 100 whatapps msgs......well for my office we have been working from home for almost 1 week now since last week......so i wont feel the effect by much as we have the full utilities to actually operate as normal from home..... of course a must is good internet connection....

i can only tell you that this lockdown will impact more on the already weaken economy in Msia sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

actually if this happen before the outbreak from the mosque then we actually cant fault them.......however i dont want to comment much on it....as this is a bit sensitive to be honest.....everyone have a different set of thinking....just like the other state that comment that their God will protect them from Covid-19? i dont want to debuff them on this however at a times of this i honestly prefer them to be more practical?

yes we all have a God we believe in...however at a times like this rationality with a lil practical thinking actually is needed

Agree. Rational thinking is more needed now. 

My friend just back from Jakarta yesterday (that bramanda) and I hate it because he is not choose to stay at home for 14 days and instead goes to office. Other country even take action: anyone from Indonesia must be to quarantine for 14 days.  And when we told him to stay at home he replied us “you all are too scared.” Of course we are. We are not as selfish as you. 

I will take flu vaccination tomorrow. Even though it is not covid 19 but they are like. cousins. Lol. At least I am trying to do something in this situation to reducing my panick a bit.

2 patients in the isolation rooms in hospital in my city are waiting for their lab tests.

if covid 19 happened in Indonesia like in China or South Korea, we all die here. Our facilities are too minimum. This country is not ready to face something like this. 

Edited by Sejabin
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sejabin said:

I will take flu vaccination tomorrow. Even though it is not covid 19 but they are like. cousins. Lol. At least I am trying to do something in this situation to reducing my panick a bit.

yes good to take that vaccine....as Covid-19 is also a type of flu virus....

just like me and my colleagues we were encourage to take the influenza vaccine and our office even subsidize RM 100 to each of us to encourage us to take it

• Like 1
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, angelangie said:

yes good to take that vaccine....as Covid-19 is also a type of flu virus....

just like me and my colleagues we were encourage to take the influenza vaccine and our office even subsidize RM 100 to each of us to encourage us to take it

Yes. I hope it can help us a bit :bawling: I am not panick I just worrying because I have a baby :(

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Sejabin said:

Yes. I hope it can help us a bit :bawling: I am not panick I just worrying because I have a baby :(

stop worrying....i know you as a mother will worry......

however i think so far the fatality rate is not for the younger one......its more for diabetes patients.....and those with other illness when they were infected.....

• Like 2
  • Love 2

So here the government has put a restrictions on number of people attending weddings, public events etc. Wait for it, the chief minister himself attended a wedding a few hours later which had thousand people if not more!! :crazy:

Two people who knowingly planned and escaped the quarantine has been charged with interrupting state function and spreading epidemic. I pray this puts some sense in rest of the population.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

On 3/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, staygold said:

So here the government has put a restrictions on number of people attending weddings, public events etc. Wait for it, the chief minister himself attended a wedding a few hours later which had thousand people if not more!! :crazy:

Two people who knowingly planned and escaped the quarantine has been charged with interrupting state function and spreading epidemic. I pray this puts some sense in rest of the population.

@staygold May I know what country you're from? Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, refuse2sink said:

@staygold May I know what country you're from? Thanks.

it is Indonesia. if not wrong.

@angelangie it is happened in Jakarta too. the numbers of infections are high there but there is no social distancing in public transportations.

Edited by Sejabin
  • Like 1