How did they meet?

Lmangla

How did they meet?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. What's the favourite romance trope in dramaland?

• we met in kindergarten - the childhood lovers trope
    • we see each other everyday for work -- colleagues becomes lovers trope
    • we live near each other -- neighbourhood lovers trope
    • I know your relative -- six degrees of separation trope
    • your father killed my father -- enemies turned lovers trope
    • stress always leads to love -- random strangers in accident trope
    • drunken night together - the complicated hook up with baby trope
    • my grandparent is making me date/marry you -- the contract relationship trope
    • help me forget my ex -- the bruised heart trope
    • brainy clashes -- lets argue our way into love trope

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/14/2020 at 09:51 AM

chingus, what is your favourite trope for how characters fall in love in dramaland? you can choose several if you have more than one favourite...

and on a real life note, do you have a great love story to share? it could be a friend or someone you know... you can just give the gist like a synopsis (from a drama) -- after all, we all love a great story. thats why we watch dramas no?

Happy Valentine's day in advance -- hope you have a good one! :)

re: @Sushimi

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Childhood meeting trope needs to be retired in my opinion. It’s practically in every other romance based Drama and usually it’s very Trite and overly cheesy. Give me stubborn strangers who argue and head butt their way to realizing they are great friends and soul mates :wub:

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Im so lame so im going to choose childhood love story.

kekekek... I hate this trope actually. it is one reason I can't watch saeguks because it is always kids falling in love. okay, they had a high mortality rate which means they all died early those days. so yea, they have to hook up while they are young but it is hard to take seriously that teenagers are having full on romance with moonlight and music.... or maybe I never met my love in kindergarten and it is hard for me to believe? LOL....

1 minute ago, RobinM said:

The Childhood meeting trope needs to be retired in my opinion. It’s practically in every other romance based Drama. 

kekekek... agree 100%... but then all the child actors would never get to do their acting internships! hahahha...

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

Just now, Lawyerh said:

I got love in kindergarten. But dont ask me to reunite with him @Lmangla I dont even remember his name to start with :joy::joy::joy:

seriously? tell me more... it is okay you don't have to reunite with him; we will just take it as life! hahahha... but yea, tell us the story -- did he hit your head with a ball?

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

2 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

No I believe he fell to me, so love at the first sight :mrgreen:... hmm I think his name start with J or something :joy: Hes a sunbae cos hes 1 yr older in kindergarten.... So, how I think poor memory is also a problem to one love life :ph34r:

that memorable huh! :P hahahahha.... won't it be fun if there was a childhood lovers trope where one of the leads forgot and had no memory of meeting the other much to the embarrassment of the lead. okay, I am writing a drama now..LOL...

• LOL 8

I want one where they meet in the NICU. 

Seriously  though y’all ever seen the old movie Baby Talk? Where the entire movie is the Babies POV? That would be a fresh and very adorable idea for a K drama. They already had one like like from a cats POV so why not?  

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

The contract relationship is my favorite trope. I like the contract/arranged marriage the most because then you get cohabitation hijinks, but I love this trope in all its various forms- fake/contract dating/engagement/wedding. I'm not sure why but this trope just never gets old for me. 

I also like the help me forget my ex-bruised heart trope/second chance at love and brainy clashes-argue our way to love trope. There is just something so hopeful and comforting for me when I can watch a lead character (or both lead characters) find true love after a failed relationship. As for brainy clashes, well, smart, witty, and zippy dialog just makes for enjoyable viewing.

I would have voted for all 3 of those tropes but I misunderstood and thought you could only vote for one.  I tried to vote again but it wouldn't let me. 

As for true life story, well my grandparents met at a USO dance. My grandfather saw my grandmother dancing with another man and after that dance was finished he came up to her and asked "Don't you want to dance with someone who knows how?"  And my grandmother agreed to give him a dance.  Then the next day he came to the candy store where she was working as a sales clerk and asked her out for a dinner date. The rest is history. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6

what a nice story about your grandparents @Table122000; :) so people did dance their way to love those days. so romantic!

and yea, I love the 3 tropes you mentioned. like you said, the contract relationship trope is so much fun in all its variations and never gets old. is it because the mundane daily aspect of living life somehow gets injected with a romantic spark? and when you are younger, you don't appreciate the ex-bruised heart trope but as you get older, it is soothing to see it in dramas and know that life doesn't just stop with a failed relationship. sometimes, something better is right around the corner.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Cast my votes... and you surely know which one I would definitely not choose because of the recent disgust for it @Lmangla :P 

kekeke.... fingers crossed that we won't be traumatized by a possible baby after that drunken night. aaaah, it is giving me nightmares!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

18 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

I´m a sucker for enemies turned lover trope :joy:. Thai dramas does it best with this genre for me. 

Second favorite would be contract relationship trope 

yea, even though they are unrealistic, you can't help but feel all those sparks even from those annoyed stares as they plot against each other. kekekek...thai lakorns certainly love the enemies trope!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

yea, even though they are unrealistic, you can't help but feel all those sparks even from those annoyed stares as they plot against each other. kekekek...thai lakorns certainly love the enemies trope!

Yes I just love the tension between the leads :lol:. Yes the  Slap/Kiss genre is really popular 

While we are taling, do you have some that you could recommend? I have watched quite a few but maybe there are some that I have missed.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Ahhh,  same workplace with my hubby then fell in love... Encounter K-drama dating scenes are most similar to mine, e.g are the cinema date, the office romance, the date along the metaseqouia trees park and dating in playground. These kind of dating are mostly we did in the past. So I connected most to Encounter scenes. :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

As for a story. I have one love story, but with a sad ending actually.

woah! I so did not see that ending coming! thought it would be something like divorce or break up... when I was younger, there used to be this magazine (is it still in publication? no idea!). anyway, the magazine used to have this column where readers would recount their love story. it was often funny and sweeter than even some of the movies that it made you wonder if it was made up. still it made for a good read. sometimes life is as dramatic as a movie.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Im so lame, so im going to choose childhood love story. Cos my Oppa Chocolate is like that :joy: Happy Valentine in advance @Lmangla 

Real life story hmmm... I don't have, I need to meditate first... :mrgreen:

@hibiscus23 @Ameera Ali @im0202

@Lawyerh hahaha i'm sure even in childhood days we all hv some kind of crushes and i must say i did but am not as good as Bong joon ho to put it into screenplay hahaha lols:mrgreen: Happy Valentine's Day to you all chingus @Ameera Ali@im0202@Lawyerh@stroppyse@Lmangla

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

8 hours ago, Sarang21 said:

Yes I just love the tension between the leads :lol:. Yes the  Slap/Kiss genre is really popular 

While we are taling, do you have some that you could recommend? I have watched quite a few but maybe there are some that I have missed.  

its been a while since I watched any. a comedic version of the slap kiss genre was this lakron called sapai glai peun tiang with anne. have you seen it? she is a police officer and her sister gets pregnant by some rich fella and dumped. so she decides to take revenge by forcing the brother of this rich fella to marry her. it was hilarious because she first meets him in the bathroom, thinks he is a pervert, tasers him, throws him onto the ground in a tackle.... LOL... otherwise, the gem in that genre is kleun chewit. has anyone seen anything better? please let me know! must say this genre is ridiculously fun to watch. kekeke... 

6 minutes ago, hibiscus23 said:

@Lawyerh hahaha i'm sure even in childhood days we all hv some kind of crushes and i must say i did but am not as good as Bong joon ho to put it into screenplay hahaha lols:mrgreen:

kekeke... now I am curious and want to know! give us a few lines no? :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 2