Quantcast
Lmangla

How did they meet?

How did they meet?  

152 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What's the favourite romance trope in dramaland?

• we met in kindergarten - the childhood lovers trope
    • we see each other everyday for work -- colleagues becomes lovers trope
    • we live near each other -- neighbourhood lovers trope
    • I know your relative -- six degrees of separation trope
    • your father killed my father -- enemies turned lovers trope
    • stress always leads to love -- random strangers in accident trope
    • drunken night together - the complicated hook up with baby trope
    • my grandparent is making me date/marry you -- the contract relationship trope
    • help me forget my ex -- the bruised heart trope
    • brainy clashes -- lets argue our way into love trope

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/14/2020 at 09:51 AM

chingus, what is your favourite trope for how characters fall in love in dramaland? you can choose several if you have more than one favourite...

and on a real life note, do you have a great love story to share? it could be a friend or someone you know... you can just give the gist like a synopsis (from a drama) -- after all, we all love a great story. thats why we watch dramas no?

Happy Valentine's day in advance -- hope you have a good one! :)

re: @Sushimi

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Im so lame, so im going to choose childhood love story. Cos my Oppa Chocolate is like that :joy: Happy Valentine in advance @Lmangla 

Real life story hmmm... I don't have, I need to meditate first... :mrgreen:

@hibiscus23 @Ameera Ali @im0202

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

The Childhood meeting trope needs to be retired in my opinion. It’s practically in every other romance based Drama and usually it’s very Trite and overly cheesy. Give me stubborn strangers who argue and head butt their way to realizing they are great friends and soul mates :wub:

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Im so lame so im going to choose childhood love story.

kekekek... I hate this trope actually. it is one reason I can't watch saeguks because it is always kids falling in love. okay, they had a high mortality rate which means they all died early those days. so yea, they have to hook up while they are young but it is hard to take seriously that teenagers are having full on romance with moonlight and music.... or maybe I never met my love in kindergarten and it is hard for me to believe? LOL....

1 minute ago, RobinM said:

The Childhood meeting trope needs to be retired in my opinion. It’s practically in every other romance based Drama. 

kekekek... agree 100%... but then all the child actors would never get to do their acting internships! hahahha...

• Like 4
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

I got love in kindergarten. But dont ask me to reunite with him @Lmangla I dont even remember his name to start with :joy::joy::joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1

Just now, Lawyerh said:

I got love in kindergarten. But dont ask me to reunite with him @Lmangla I dont even remember his name to start with :joy::joy::joy:

seriously? tell me more... it is okay you don't have to reunite with him; we will just take it as life! hahahha... but yea, tell us the story -- did he hit your head with a ball?

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Lmangla said:

tell us the story -- did he hit your head with a ball?

No I believe he fell to me, so love at the first sight :mrgreen:... hmm I think his name start with J or something :joy: Hes a sunbae cos hes 1 yr older in kindergarten.... So, how I think poor memory is also a problem to one love life :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

No I believe he fell to me, so love at the first sight :mrgreen:... hmm I think his name start with J or something :joy: Hes a sunbae cos hes 1 yr older in kindergarten.... So, how I think poor memory is also a problem to one love life :ph34r:

that memorable huh! :P hahahahha.... won't it be fun if there was a childhood lovers trope where one of the leads forgot and had no memory of meeting the other much to the embarrassment of the lead. okay, I am writing a drama now..LOL...

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

I want one where they meet in the NICU. 

Seriously  though y’all ever seen the old movie Baby Talk? Where the entire movie is the Babies POV? That would be a fresh and very adorable idea for a K drama. They already had one like like from a cats POV so why not?  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

The contract relationship is my favorite trope. I like the contract/arranged marriage the most because then you get cohabitation hijinks, but I love this trope in all its various forms- fake/contract dating/engagement/wedding. I'm not sure why but this trope just never gets old for me. 

I also like the help me forget my ex-bruised heart trope/second chance at love and brainy clashes-argue our way to love trope. There is just something so hopeful and comforting for me when I can watch a lead character (or both lead characters) find true love after a failed relationship. As for brainy clashes, well, smart, witty, and zippy dialog just makes for enjoyable viewing.

I would have voted for all 3 of those tropes but I misunderstood and thought you could only vote for one.  I tried to vote again but it wouldn't let me. 

As for true life story, well my grandparents met at a USO dance. My grandfather saw my grandmother dancing with another man and after that dance was finished he came up to her and asked "Don't you want to dance with someone who knows how?"  And my grandmother agreed to give him a dance.  Then the next day he came to the candy store where she was working as a sales clerk and asked her out for a dinner date. The rest is history. 

• Like 4
  • Love 7

what a nice story about your grandparents @Table122000; :) so people did dance their way to love those days. so romantic!

and yea, I love the 3 tropes you mentioned. like you said, the contract relationship trope is so much fun in all its variations and never gets old. is it because the mundane daily aspect of living life somehow gets injected with a romantic spark? and when you are younger, you don't appreciate the ex-bruised heart trope but as you get older, it is soothing to see it in dramas and know that life doesn't just stop with a failed relationship. sometimes, something better is right around the corner.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Cast my votes... and you surely know which one I would definitely not choose because of the recent disgust for it @Lmangla :P 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Cast my votes... and you surely know which one I would definitely not choose because of the recent disgust for it @Lmangla :P 

kekeke.... fingers crossed that we won't be traumatized by a possible baby after that drunken night. aaaah, it is giving me nightmares!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I´m a sucker for enemies turned lover trope :joy:. Thai dramas does it best with this genre for me. 

Second favorite would be contract relationship trope 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

18 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

I´m a sucker for enemies turned lover trope :joy:. Thai dramas does it best with this genre for me. 

Second favorite would be contract relationship trope 

yea, even though they are unrealistic, you can't help but feel all those sparks even from those annoyed stares as they plot against each other. kekekek...thai lakorns certainly love the enemies trope!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

30 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

yea, even though they are unrealistic, you can't help but feel all those sparks even from those annoyed stares as they plot against each other. kekekek...thai lakorns certainly love the enemies trope!

Yes I just love the tension between the leads :lol:. Yes the  Slap/Kiss genre is really popular 

While we are taling, do you have some that you could recommend? I have watched quite a few but maybe there are some that I have missed.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I prefer the brainy clashes. There is something sexy about having 2 people who can hold their own while clashing on whatever reasons they may be clashing. I think it's because so many romances seem to be based on an inequality of some sort where one, usually the man, is in a superior position in some way to the other, usually the woman. And while the man has money, brains, power, etc., the woman has a pure heart and is willing to be a doormat for everyone. Ugh. So much better when the two people meet on somewhat equivalent terms.

And, actually, I was thinking that I like the meet as children and falling in love by being in the same neighborhood, but then I realized that it was only in the Reply dramas that I actually liked those tropes.

The contract relationship where people are forced into it by family elders feels a bit strange for me in that it seems to deny the lovers free agency of their own, but ultimately, they accede to the wisdom of those who knew better for them than themselves after all? Weird. I have watched contract marriage/relationship dramas and enjoyed them, but it's usually because of the quality of the acting rather than the plot themselves.

As for a story. I have one love story, but with a sad ending actually. I know a woman who had gone to university with this guy who was a couple of grades ahead of her. They had a friendship, but she was actually dating his best friend. Anyway, they both eventually graduated and pursued their separate lives for many years. Then they met again. The man had become a widower, while the woman had been too busy with her career to settle down into any lasting relationship. Having met up again, they got together to reminisce about their uni days, and remembered how much they liked and respected each other in the past and in their present. They had a whirlwind courtship which ended with the man telling the woman that he loved her and asking her to consider moving in with him. She confessed that she loved him as well, and agreed that they could move in together, spending a normal beautiful day just being together. A day later, he died of a heart attack.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Love 4

31 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

The contract relationship where people are forced into it by family elders feels a bit strange for me in that it seems to deny the lovers free agency of their own

I went for the contract relationship myself only and solely because of "1% of something". This may be a contract relationship, but Lee Jae In/Kim Da Heyeon have the healthiest and nicest relationship I have ever seen in K Drama land. I never tire of seeing Ha Seok Jin these two together.

31 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

A day later, he died of a heart attack.

:o. It is really strange how real life sometimes is more dramatic than K-Drama script :(

As to the tropes, I think the one that has to die and disappear forever is "your father killed my father" I honestly cannot stand it and I hate dramas featuring this idea.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

I personally want go get rid of most cheesy tropes used in Kdramas, but I am a sucker for the typical guy crushes on girl but she doesn't know it.

• Like 7
  • Love 3