[Drama 2020] Oh My Baby, 오 마이 베이비

0ly40

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second episode had in store a lot of decisions for Ha Ri when she had to come to terms with some heartbreaking revelations. It was all about accepting the situation she is in and making the best of it.

So she can't find a husband? She'll have a baby without one!

Now I am no expert of South Korean society, but I can believe it is much harder for a woman there to actually carry out this decision. Having a baby alone using e.g. a sperm donor might not even be allowed? Not sure, does anyone know?

At least parts of Korea's society seems to still think that one needs to get married and have a baby, as we can see Ha Ri facing a lot of prejudice of being unmarried at 40. I felt quite bad for her when she said that "she hadn't committed a crime, not being married with a child".

We saw how Ha Ri, I Sang and Jae Young all had suffered heartbreaks. We learnt that I Sang probably is stilled so scarred from his break-up, he is unwilling to let in another woman into his heart. It is pretty clear, though, that he will start falling for Ha Ri.

I am really interested in seeing in which direction the story will go. I have a sneaking suspicion they might go down the "traditional" route of Ha Ri and I Sang falling in love and having a baby.

I hope the writers push the envelope a bit, and maybe let them first have a baby and then fall in love. ;)

5 hours ago, stella77 said:

@Juliet79 thanks and I am in Asia; my Netflix has lots of current Kdrama but not this one when I searched earlier. Maybe it will come eventually - it would be nice to watch it in HD! 

I tried to open it last night but it wasn't opening it on Netflix. Do you know any high quality alternate? 

2 hours ago, triplem said:

@Juliet79 @stella77 In Asia it is available on Viu ( paid streaming site ) and also TvN Asia ( via cable TV)  For the North American markets it is Viki . Viki does not make a lot of their new content available for the Asian market 

TvN Asia gives English subtitles mod? Also Viki is offering with English ??? It is not opening on my Netflix :/ :/

As @triplem  said this particular drama is not available in Netflix. If you are in North America/ U.S. you could watch it in Viki with English subtitles (it may take a few days from its airing before English sub is available).  You could watch it with English sub in TVn Asia/ Viu if you are in Asia...but if your location is in Florida, then you could only watch it in Viki. 

I can totally relate to Ha Ri as I've been in that situation before although, luckily for me, I was in my early thirties when the desire to have a baby hit me.

Very timely topic, so interesting! :)

JNR is great, really! :heart:

9 hours ago, triplem said:

My dear . It’s not available on Netflix at all . Yes tvN Asia & Viki have in English Subs . But for tvN Asia you must be subscribed to a cable service ( In Malaysia for example it’s Astro ) 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVN_(Asian_TV_channel)

Viki - you can check here if it’s available in your region 

https://www.viki.com/
if from Asia , can also try Viu ( but different countries may hv different shows) 

https://www.viu.com/ott/my/en/all?redirected=true&message=CARRIER_NOT_DETECTED&session_id=3-n58461ik3-h89i15c705k196p

Thanks a lot. :) But my Netflix shows it. Even I saw it at Netflix at the first time and then, I tried to find it because it was not uploading at Netflix. My Netflix account is Canadian one. Maybe it is not opening that's why you can't see but yes, I am going to see via Viki. 

3 hours ago, triplem said:

Hell yeah..I know from Misty he's got a good body...but evidence will be needed if he has maintained it . I know he's a good kisser ...in Misty alone he kissed every female lead :joy:

I see what you mean by the kissing scenes. I (of course) went to YouTube to watch them. :joy:

I think we still need some evidence about the abs - shower scene, pool scene, workout scene.... Whatever works! :joy:

I'm in awe of Jang Nara's acting in this drama. I think she's really talented as an actress, but it's amazing how her acting improves time and time again for each drama she stars in. She's a master in conveying emotions and changing her acting depending on the character she's playing. I feel like she really is Jang Ha Ri in this drama.

I have never seen Go Joon before in a drama. Stop reading now if you are a big fan of him... :grimace:

Spoiler

He's cute but I am not impressed by his acting here. I read a little bit about him and it seems he got into acting main roles quite recently, no? So far he hasn't really shown a large range of emotions, and he's not able to show micro expressions. That's why his acting comes off as quite stiff to me.

You can tell that Park Byung Eun has more experience in acting, as he's able to show his emotions using very subtle facial expressions.

This was quite evident in the scene where the three of them sat in the tent restaurant all wet.

Of course this could be intentional, like how Lee Sang Yoon's character was totally emotionless in V.I.P. We viewers knew that Lee Sang Yoon can act, so it was a bit infuriating seeing a character for 16 episodes with more or less the same expression on his face. Jang Nara was carrying all the emotional acting in the drama.

I am the only one wondering if I Sang suffers from some disease? My feeling does not come from him rejecting Ha Ri, but from his social media account. It looks like some sort of a bucket list. I hope I am wrong, as I turned in for a comedy, not a melo.

1 hour ago, Hannahmiriam said:

I am the only one wondering if I Sang suffers from some disease? My feeling does not come from him rejecting Ha Ri, but from his social media account. It looks like some sort of a bucket list. I hope I am wrong, as I turned in for a comedy, not a melo.

That's an interesting idea. It's always possible that it is a bucket list due to a terminal disease.

My guess, though, (and I could be wrong here, I often am ;) ) is that he is still reeling from breaking up with his ex-fiancé. Quite a few men have a hard time facing the feelings of break-up/divorce, so they jump into a new relationship quickly or they become very active with hobbies/partying/meeting friends. These are all tactics to enable them from running away from the feelings the break-up caused them.

I would guess that I Sang belongs to this category of men.

I like seeing Ha Ri and Yi Sang together. My first impression of this drama, I think it's gonna be touching drama. At first I thought it's gonna be romcom but I think the writer wants to show Ha Ri's struggle to be a mother, which also might be a struggle for other women. That scene on the cafe when Ha Ri has the blind date. A man can get a kid even they're in their 50 or 60's but it's different for woman.

In real life, isn't it easier for Ha Ri to have sperm donor? Time is ticking, there's no guarantee to find the right man to have a baby with.

I just watch a few scene of the drama..and the part i watch is the part where hari and yi sang bicker..yi sang truly know how to play with woman heart :wub: i like him. Wish that jang  nara is with him in this drama

@nat-phoenix88 I like that this drama has a good balance of comedy and melo. I really enjoyed the first two episodes. I feel for Hari’s struggles. It might not be easy for her to be a mother at this age especially as she has issues with her ovaries and no particular Baby-Daddy in sight. But as she said, it is now or never. She is so right that men have a tremendous advantage when in comes to marriage and children. Men could marry in their 50’s  and even in their 70’s and still could have kids but not women. I knew of a few women who have similar struggles.They wanted to be financially stable before getting married but realized a little too late that dating becomes more difficult and most men around their age were already taken. In Korea, where marrying in their middle to late 30’s is pretty standard, infertility also becomes a common problem around this age group. IVF/ having a sperm donor is now on the rise. But I think it is still frowned upon. I really wish Jang Hari will have a baby. She will be a good mother! Her scenes with the baby and her imaginary daughter teared me up and made me reflect my lacking as a mom. Jang Nara is really particularly good in those scenes. I want to look at my boys that way again even if they are not babies anymore....Jang Hari, Ajah!:heart:

9 hours ago, nat_phoenix88 said:

In real life, isn't it easier for Ha Ri to have sperm donor? Time is ticking, there's no guarantee to find the right man to have a baby with.

Yeah, and I believe that is what's going to happen in the next episode. She's going to find a sperm donor. But I think she's going to choose from someone she knows. From the trailer the candidates are her childhood friend, the marketing department hobae, or Yi Sang.

i just got into this drama and I like the character developments a lot! I think Jang Nara has a really good eye for cast chemistry and script, because there has yet been a drama starring her that I didn't like. The relationship development is well paced and I like that YS beginning to understand her. It might seem like a simple story at first, but it's shredding light on the pressure on women in a patriarchy. What's rare is, the character doesn't want to rebel against the norm, even so, marriage and motherhood didn't come easy to her like it seemingly does to others. And every woman must've felt the same at one point in their life. Jang Nara is really good at embodying their stories into one character.

Archived