[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

For some reason I feel sorry for MY, when GT eats with others

and she isnt with him...:)

:wub:

EcF4gFaXsAA3q-Y?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 7
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, floweroad said:

very true!! i think she has shown ST great respect. If she didn't respect him and only wanted to use him as a means to KT, i think she would have treated him differently in a lot of scenes. there is a gentleness and camaraderie in the way she approaches ST that comes across very genuine.  for example when he was fighting KT and she gently asked him to come back inside. keen to see this relationship develop as well! 

Absolutely! And ST actually feels this, that's why he blindly trusts her. It is not only that he idolises her as a writer, he sees the good and pure in her too. In that sense, because of his spectrum, he is like a child - could be senseless (e.g. leaving his brother in the icy water), could be blunt (kicking and hitting his little brother), could be brutally honest (with everyone, really - "lying is bad, bad, bad"), but sees the good in a person. This is what he does with KMY, though, that's why I think he would be the catalyst in her change - actually, the combination of the two brothers will bring out this hidden good side of hers. :) 

• Like 11

Sorry if this is posted before. 

Speaking about GT and ST's mom's killer.

I get the feeling that the killer is one of MY's parents, most possible suspect is MY's mom.

When ST mentioned about the butterfly, it's a possibility that the killer wore an outfit with butterfly print design or an outfit that resembles of a butterfly, an outfit that could have that is a gown.

What is GT and ST's mom's connection with MY's parents?

There's a possibility that GT and ST's mom works in MY's mansion (probably as a servant or housekeeper) that's why GT and ST's mom was not always there with them. That's why she always tell GT to take care of ST.

Why MY's mom would kill GT and ST's mom?

Possibilities:

1. MY's mom suspects GT and ST's mom had an affair with MY's dad.

2. GT and ST's mom broke a rule, made an  unforgivable mistake, or didn't follow MY's mom's orders.

3. GT and ST's mom discovered  dark secrets from MY's parents. 

There's also a possibility that the MY's mom had already a mental illness. 

The reason that MY's father build a mansion for MY's mom is to hide her real condition to the public and media.

MY's mom was not on the right mind when she killed GT and ST's mom.

It's just theories.  I could be very wrong about this. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2

The number of messages that this masterpiece has brought is out of my ability to count. Thank you all people here who share with us your thought, interpretation and feelings, it's truly enjoyable to see what I have sensed being conveyed into words, to find out the meaning behind details from different perspectives, to know more about fairy tales with representations... It makes the wait every week so worthy and I won't stop explaining my friends about why they should watch it now instead of waiting until full series release tehe.

Episode 6 was my favorite that brings moments of content. I love the morning when Moon Young woke up and said "slept so well", it was still the cursed castle but with different feeling now as Moon brothers has brought the vibe of a "family" with activities such as cleaning house, making breakfast... that might be familiar to many people, but her. That's why she had that surprise expression on her face. And she looked like a kid while waiting for him to prepare her bowl of rice, I can feel the happiness inside, exclude the daily cool image, she asked for more rice. I believe that she has been learning the basic feelings, to feel the warmness of love, to be cared with sincerity of pure affection, not because of fame or money, not because she's a precious princess or such. 

And I love that reaction of Kang Tae when the CEO talked about how importance he is and why he should be the one who's next to Moon Young. I'm with you guys who feel the jealousy when the word "namja" being spoken out and he frankly denied the request to get out of the house, expressed clearly his hate attitude upon the possibility that the CEO has been taking advantage of Moon Young for money - Our Kang Tae is not only safety pin, but his protective guard is now in its place. 

I also love his worrying expressions when finding Moon Young in the hospital, the least thing on earth he wants is her being alone in such situation might afraid of her wandering alone like what she did in episode 4. And look at how the man being clumsy in front of her door, he wanted to do something more, to say something more, his hands couldn't stop patting his thigh, I find it so cute. He has been an excellent caregiver for his brother, but in the field of man-women love, he's still a kid, and both of him and Moon Young are now learning how to love, to express little by little their emotions in the name of love while discovering more about themselves. 

Kang Tae also let himself more relax when being around Moon Young. The scene when they entering Moon Young's vintage room, Kang Tae was lying down comfortably in front of her without being scared of a possibly attack haha. Well this man, his mouth might say no but his body language cannot lie. 

And thank you for pointing out how considerate Moon Young is towards Sang Tae individually and both of Moon brothers. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

@fluffyloafLet us not forget that the episode 5 was called "Rapunzel" hence MY's life is connected to Rapunzel and BlueBeard.

Some said that the story about "Rapunzel" is about child abuse, yet there is another message in this story. The mother refuses her child to grow up and discover the world. By being captive in her castle, it was as if the child was forced to remain by the parents's side, their refusal that the child had some point will leave them.

Thanks for your insightful reply @bebebisous33! Really enjoyed reading your take on things! Yes I do agree on what you say about Rapunzel's tale having a role to play in the plot and the theme of child abuse.  

However I think the story of Rapunzel does not depict the parents' refusal to allow the child to grow up and their desire to keep her by their side. Correct me if I am wrong since I am not actually too familiar about literature pieces but the original story of Rapunzel seems to tell of parents who instead of trying to keep their child by their side, casually gives their child away to a witch out of their selfish and impulsive desires?

From how I see it, Rapunzel's tale might have been more relevant in the sense of MY and KT's relationship. Her entrapment in the cursed castle. KT and the prince as a symbolism of the freedom she sees outside of the confines of the castle/tower. And a possible obstacle symbolised by the witch that might act as an element to separate their love for each other. Treading on danger to be with each other.

In the context of her parents, perhaps we can see it in the sense that MY was trapped in the cursed castle due to the selfishness and her parents' love for each other more than their prioritisation of her as their child. Just as Rapunzel was easily traded off for some herbs desired by her mother, the welfare of MY was easily traded off whenever her parents had bigger priorities to protect. It is also said that Rapunzel's story on entrapment extends to her parents as well. Her father was trapped by his love towards her mother and fulfilling her mother's desires. Her mother was trapped by her own desires. Maybe there is an underlying correlation there.

I probably ain't picking from the more optimistic versions of the story hahahah which might contain more of that parental element to it.

When it comes to BlueBeard, it can be perceived as domestic violence against the spouse, especially from our modern perspective. The wives were mistreated until they died. However, the morals written at the end of Bluebeard are totally different: wives are supposed to listen to their husband. Strict obedience is asked. Women in Perrault's fairy tales are often ridiculed and criticized: Griselidis, Bluebeard, Cinderella etc. The image of women is very positive, except for the heroine which represents the exception.

Furthermore what people don't usually know is that the original fairy tale written by Charles Perrault is in reality an accurate description of the society and indirectly a satire. Impoverished aristocrats are ready for monstrous alliances/marriages with the rising bourgeoisie...The last wive married him because of his wealth and not title. Bluebeard was not a noble, but a bourgeois, while the protagonist belonged the declining nobility. Furthermore the author Perrault criticized the venality of offices. The wife's brothers could buy their office as captains thanks to the fortune of their brother-in-law, Bluebeard. As you can see, even there the heroine and her family are criticized through the fairy tale. We have to remember that Perrault wrote in a period where critic was not allowed and there was censure.

Love your insights shared here! Breathes a new perspective to the Bluebeard reference! I definitely agree that the element of domestic violence is present within MY's home.

And yes I myself found the moral of the story to be problematic too if read too deeply into the dynamics of her being a victim but poised to be at fault for being curious. However I think as I had brought up political correctness and censorship previously hence I don't think I should condemn the details within the folktale but focus more on how the writer tries to illustrate the moral of the story through a largely exaggerated framework of the plot. Taking it all in with a pinch of salt.

When MY is threatened by her mother, she would kill the prince who would come to rescue her, it could definitely be a reference to Rapunzel. She was saved by a prince and climbed the tower. Her mother was brutal in her words but she didn't want to be left alone in that big house. We shouldn't forget that MY's father built that house for his wife, MY's mother. I have the impression that he had an obsession for his wife and she ended up held captive in that cursed castle. His obsession is palpable through the building and the different portraits of her. I can imagine that due to his abnormal jealousy and obsession, the mother got so isolated that she ended up suffering from depression. I have the impression that she did attempt to commit suicide because she couldn't bear her situation. This could explain why the mother became so obsessed with her daughter. She represented the only comfort in her life hence she couldn't allow her daughter to run away with the prince. This would explain her violence as well because she was so desperate. 

I have the feeling that at some point the mother must have resented her husband so much that she might have attempted to strangle him. Moreover, I suspect that the birth of his daughter changed the dynamic in the dysfunctional couple. The father might have resented his daughter because she diverted her attention from him hence he might have started abusing her and at some point she ended up in the cellar. He wanted his wife to focus only on him. So when she strangled him but failed, this might have caused the father to retaliate against his own daughter, blaming her for the estrangement with his wife and her violent and strange behavior.   

This could be another explanation. From my point of view, both parents are to blame for MY's traumas.   

Love what you said here too and I absolutely agree that there is a possibility of this being the truth behind the family dynamics. Since MY's father did express a level of glorifying her mother's beauty. And I absolutely agree that both parents have a role to play in how MY turned out to be as just from the scene of her father strangling her and her trembling at the thought of her mother still alive shows how traumatic her childhood family life must have been.

I think my problem with following closely to the original folktales are that in the original Bluebeard, his final wife managed to escape while Bluebeard himself was killed. Hence this further reinforces my belief of MY's dead mom being Bluebeard instead because it's her dad who is left alive. But I'm still unsure about their roles honestly. Perhaps the relations are more thematic (on the ills of curiosity) than character relevant. Perhaps the whole point of Bluebeard being related to the plot is just to hint that the Moon boys might uncover unpleasant truths as they get closer and more curious about MY and understand deeper about the cursed castle and the family who once lived in it.

My confusion still stems from what the hospital director had said about MY's father's delusions and how MY was perceived to be someone else hence causing her father to strangle her. Which is why I don't think her father strangled her because he felt that MY affected their husband and wife relationship. I think the director has a point and MY's father had somebody else in mind when he was strangling MY.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I had a good time trying to analyse your perspective on things and tried to re-evaluate my own perspective too. Maybe with time we can digest and decode this a bit closer to what the writer is trying to capture.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

It was a beautiful shot when MY looked at GTs hanging t-shirt on the terrace...

Did his t-shirt catch her dreams...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fluffyloaf said:

Thanks for your insightful reply @bebebisous33! Really enjoyed reading your take on things! Yes I do agree on what you say about Rapunzel's tale having a role to play in the plot and the theme of child abuse.  

However I think the story of Rapunzel does not depict the parents' refusal to allow the child to grow up and their desire to keep her by their side. Correct me if I am wrong since I am not actually too familiar about literature pieces but the original story of Rapunzel seems to tell of parents who instead of trying to keep their child by their side, casually gives their child away to a witch out of their selfish and impulsive desires?

From how I see it, Rapunzel's tale might have been more relevant in the sense of MY and KT's relationship. Her entrapment in the cursed castle. KT and the prince as a symbolism of the freedom she sees outside of the confines of the castle/tower. And a possible obstacle symbolised by the witch that might act as an element to separate their love for each other. Treading on danger to be with each other.

In the context of her parents, perhaps we can see it in the sense that MY was trapped in the cursed castle due to the selfishness and her parents' love for each other more than their prioritisation of her as their child. Just as Rapunzel was easily traded off for some herbs desired by her mother, the welfare of MY was easily traded off whenever her parents had bigger priorities to protect. It is also said that Rapunzel's story on entrapment extends to her parents as well. Her father was trapped by his love towards her mother and fulfilling her mother's desires. Her mother was trapped by her own desires. Maybe there is an underlying correlation

Well, I have to say that when I wrote this, I was more thinking about the modernized version which I liked it very much. The woman was not her biological mother but this doesn't matter... she acted like the step-mother in the older fairy tales. Fact is that she wanted the girl to remain by her side so that she could stay young. And this is definitely connected to the fact that the moment the "children" leave the house, the parents realize that they have grown old. Besides, if you take this story on another level, you'll notice that the witch wanted Rapunzel to rely only on her. She never allowed the girl to leave the tower, to meet new people and discover the world. That's I interpret this story.... But like I mentioned it a few days ago, each person learns a different lesson from a fairy tale.

But this interpretation fits the story because in the episodes 5 and 6, one of the main topics was to let go of a child... here ST. KT acts like a mother.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, softestfairy said:

I saw a comment on Youtube that we're supposedly getting a kiss in episode 8 :offtospace:

Yea at the end of the episode! Then we have to wait another damn week! Lol but I do hope there’s a kiss next week.  >_<

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

When they'll kiss, i guess it will be EPIC:evilelmo:... the sexual tension built till now made our hearts burst!!:biubiu::omg:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

11 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@SweetButters haha np. I know which thread you were on because I just came from there but didn’t post yet :D my sis came home from work at 1 am which I was already sleeping, and now I am half awake haha.

@vangsweetie637 HAHAHAHAHAH!! Tehehehe :phew:! Awww you need to get some sleep so you can continue to post about how sexy KT is and help me to formulate new theories for IOTNBO :wub:!

• Love 2

Wow folks, we have quite an interesting drama here, and I imagine as each episode unfolds, we will be treated to each character bringing a different angle on all of these relationships, trauma and healing.

MY is so intriguing. Even though she is quite flippant, and at times, mean, she is intriguing. You want to know more about her character. She is reserved in a lot of ways and you can tell that while she speaks her mind, she also holds things in. While she clearly suffers from a personality disorder, she offers the most balance of all of the characters.

What do we know? Her father, an architect, built this glorious mansion for her mother, an artist. Yet, we don't hear of anything either of her parents did after said mansion was built. In fact, it is clear that once they moved in, they were somehow cut off from society. It was either the second or third episode where one of the men in the same room as the father said I heard his daughter is an author and she's appearing here today. "They say" that she is beautiful, like her mother was. Where are the people who have personal, one-on-one experience with her parents and not someone who can offer what they heard through gossip? We also know that MY developed personality issues as a child due to her mother's influence. Telling her she's special, or above all of the other kids. Not allowing her to have a normal childhood, with friends and parties, etc. Yet, buried deep inside of her was a strong desire to be rescued from all of the isolation and loneliness.

GT enters the picture. A boy believed to have been born simply to care for his older autistic brother. A child forced to bear and unbelievable responsibility. It was difficult watching the childhood scenes. He was basically punished for being a kid. He wasn't allowed to run off and play. He ALWAYS had to oversee and protect his brother. This bred loneliness, jealousy and contempt. He was younger and needed his mother's warmth and she almost refused to give it to him for fear of rattling the brother. I sense an enormous amount of selfishness from KT's mother, probably overwhelmed at the prospect of having to take care of ST for life, she desperately wanted out of that situation and she got it. GT is a ticking time-bomb. ST knows this. He knows that his disability makes life harder for his brother and he empathizes with his brother, it's just his disability is something he can't do anything about. He also can't change people's prejudice of him, which is why the first sign of any independence is immediately taken by him. At 35, he is way past the age of needing someone to take care of him, yet he is still dependent on his brother in ways that someone his age shouldn't be. I see a reversal of roles coming.

Their supporting cast is interesting. The only person I really like around GT and ST is the friend. He is a bit unreliable at times, but for the most part, he is a good friend. As far as Juri and her mom, there is a LOT of self interest at play. Juri is a typical second lead. She has been around GT all of these years on and off and she's old enough to know that he just wasn't interested in her other than basic friendship. She manipulated him into coming back to their town and working at the same hospital and even living with she and her mom. I have a problem with people who disguise lending a helping hand as manipulating someone to serve their own interest. that is actually how MY even got the idea to invite ST to come and stay with her. 

So why does GT like MY? She clearly scared him with the whole butterfly massacre when they were kids. She was mean to him, watching him follow her around without actually talking to him. First and foremost, I think GT fell for MY because she didn't need him. She was another kid navigating the cruel world just like him. Second, I think he was was intrigued by her ability to say exactly what she means, what she dislikes and what she doesn't believe. He always had to hide his true feelings. Finally, she likes him. In all of their fateful interactions, she has not hid her attraction or interest in him. Even when he suspected it was an act (due to her overbearing) manager, she just got bold and confessed to him. He hasn't had to coddle her, feed her, clothe her, be totally responsible for her and yet, she likes him. Even her interactions with ST have been admirable. She never treated ST like he's autistic. She has always addressed him as oppa. She admires his talent and she talks to him with respect. Even when she decided to invite ST to live with her because she knew GT would follow, she respected ST enough to offer him a very coveted job and the compensation (camper) that he requested. One thing MY as over Juri is her honesty and candidness. She isn't afraid of arguing with GT in order to get through to him. GT isn't interested in Juri because she is a pick-me, willing to say and do whatever to try and be with him and that type of thing has marred him his whole life in dealing with the responsibility of his brother. I love the pace of this drama. The chemistry among the cast and the story line are top notch. Let's have fun with this one.

• Like 10
  • Love 3

On 7/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, mademoisellesia said:

Bit of nagging, they cast two great actresses (Joori's mother and the head nurse), it seems like they are a bit too under utilized at the moment. I hope they have more screen time with the main casts. The dynamics would be awesome I imagine.

I have the same thoughts about Kim Mi Kyung and Jang Young-nam.  They are both very talented and respected actresses and I'm surprised by how minor their characters are so far.  i'm hoping their roles will be more significant although given the large cast this might be difficult.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, enigmatic_zephy said:

Jealousy in love is not new.. look what MY did.. manipulated an autistic person.. she ain't any better than Juri.. she is 2 faced too, manipulates when she needs sthg.. or acts as a brat

it is not the responsibility of "normal" kids to understand not normal ones, while not normal ones go about doing whatever they want.. same as KT and ST..it cannot always be KT's responsibility

On 7/5/2020 at 7:06 PM, enigmatic_zephy said:

I was replying to a comment..

It is unfair to pin all the blame on Juri. 

And if you take this "this is their nature" .. that is a slippery road as far as logic goes...

then everyone in this world has their nature, including a serial killer

Then did KT ask her to follow him, why is she harassing him.. be careful of how you are arguing this. Your logic cannot be a one way street

I agree with your comments and it's nice to see more sympathetic comments about Ju Ri by posters on the thread.  I often read the thread before I watch an episode and I see some awful comment about Ju Ri even calling her the b-word and I will watch the episodes expecting something awful like she kicked a puppy and the worst thing she does is act a little bratty.  I feel there is a degree of projection going on because she is a second lead with a crush on KT who resents MY so people perceive her as the "enemy"  but so far I think she is a very relatable character and is a fundamentally nice girl.  She is a regular girl who awkwardly likes a guy, knows he isn't interested, aware she fades in the background compared to the glamorous diva writer who does whatever she wants. JR might be a little whiny or two-faced at times but so is everybody.  She hasn't done anything so bad to deserve the vitriol I have seen on here whilst MY's sexaul harassment, violence, lies, stalking, smoking in non-smoking areas (major pet peeve!), manipulation including manipulating an autistic person and various other questionable actions are excused.  Personality disorder or not doesn't give a person a free pas to do whatever they want.  As you quite rightly said that's a pretty slippery road to go down...

20 hours ago, choilicious said:

I want to bring up a couple of points. I actually like JR character quite a bit. I found her crying scene with the mother hilarious. I think the scene loses a little when you are not familiar with Korean language. It is a BIG DEAL in Korean culture for two people of opposite sex to talk casually to each other. It is probably the FIRST major milestone when you are dating. So it was perfectly understandable that she was so bummed about it. It was a very natural situation for a Korean. Secondly, the translation said that she did not have any friends growing up, but that is not accurate. The actual word they used was "wangdda", which means that she was bullied and picked on. So she did not have such a happy childhood growing up and probably desperately wanted a friend even if it was someone as weird as KMY. I think JR character deserves a bit more sympathy.

Thanks for translation about her background.  Poor Ju Ri.  No wonder she is so awkward and puts on a facade now :tears:

On 7/5/2020 at 7:06 AM, hwonhwon_stv said:

Found this from Twitter

KNETZ getting annoyed of us international fans accusing them of not watching It's Okay To Not Be Okay. They're even explaining to us the ratings

Thanks for sharing the K-netz reactions.  I can understand their annoyance as comments from international fans often come across as superior and patronising.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:14 AM, Samuel Yohanes said:

The rating for ep 6 is 5.65%

Fun fact... this is the first time the rating for sunday is higher than saturday for this drama

And yeah they top cable tv in their timeslot. 

Hopefully the trend from here on is going upward. Hopefully if its going well we can reach 8% or maybe 10% but right now stabilize in 5-6% is good enough. 

The drama may not be on everyone taste but we knew this was a masterpiece drama that well written so far

The reception has been real good so far i think it will help to bring more viewers later in the drama run.

That's really good to see there is an increase on Sunday bucking the drama's previous trend.  I think this weekend's tandem of episodes have been the most satisfying so far so I'm glad it's reflected in today's TV ratings.  Do you you know why TVN switched to Part 1/Part 2 ratings this week for the drama? I know SBS/MBC and KBS do this but I haven't seen TVN do this for a drama before.

• Like 5

I really really want to participate in the thread before but  I thought I have to read other pages but then I'm still on page 39! Haven't seen ep 4-6, I know I have to catch up.

I like the quotable quotes here on IONTBO. Would love to have those compiled. I need to watch til episode 6 before I can join the discussions.  

• Like 5

Behind the scene photos of Kang Tae. :wub:

EcOsVqkUEAE2mDm?format=jpg&name=900x900

EcOsVqeU4AAiMxe?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 7
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

He will eventually find his true love, who isn't afraid of his blue beard and tells him it's okay to be different.

KT used to be like this...

86d595f1b52556be7daa5113ff84157c19b89445

Now look where we are.

19d22986c09bc617185078437f1c0636abfbdc15b35e9803dcc65130ef64adc0db4e57c01fd0d748

Cred. Tumblr (@kwakkitae))

This is what I call GROWTH.

• Like 9
  • Love 10

1 minute ago, blademan said:

He will eventually find his true love, who isn't afraid of his blue beard and tells him it's okay to be different.

KT used to be like this...

Now look where we are.

This is what I call GROWTH.

I love the present and where they are now.

Slowly but they'll get there. :dorakiss:

EcSK6gHUEAEmTCl?format=jpg&name=large

EcSK6gHUYAEFz2l?format=jpg&name=large

EcSK6gIUEAESL8I?format=jpg&name=large

Credit as shown.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

this scene:joy: oppa most care deep down to give her his clothes :phew:

15940897551594089736.gif

15940898851594089875.gif

** Brother POV is cute  : I got clothes too why not give my fav writer my clothe :D

15940900351594090020.gif

• Like 8
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2