[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

@ktcjdrama  question who harassing who :joy:, poor girl she always polite and ask are we having fun or not  , to give him chance to run , but  in the other hand he always run with her thing & invite himself in her car without asking & stop her private bad habits without question  :tounge_wink:

ezgif-6-a66cf79b3561.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Actually his flashing was criticized too as sexual harassment. I know at least that is so in some countries outside of SK. Even him using Morning Sun to reference a huge scandal last year was also criticized. It’s like any drama produced has to be politically and socially perfect now. No one talk about the classic works which also contain a whole lot of social injustice... probably because no one reads them anymore.

Thanks for that.

In the age of cancelled culture and political correctness on steroids, it is not really that surprising. ;) 

A lot of Enid Blyton books have been sanitized or criticised due to the obvious political incorrectness in the content.

I imagine you're referring to works like Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn which contain references to slaves and slavery although Mark Twain himself was quite a progressive individual. There are others too. In Oliver Twist there's a lot of talk of stealing.

I've heard it said that political correctness is killing comedy... and I would add to that... possibly art in general.

A show like this is meant to be provocative and get people thinking. Mental health issues aren't pleasant. I don't think it does it egregiously or gratuitously. I think the show itself is quite aware of the fact that it's making waves... hence the Zombie Kid. It's not surprising that people want it banned. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

In today’s age of disinformation, media manipulation, or just people taking things without context — I hope that people watches this show and judges for themselves the show’s intention. I don’t think the show will be pressured into self censor as from what I see, there are more people who understands the show’s message and many people praising the show positive portrayal of the people with mental issues.

The show’s intention is very clear to anyone watching the show that it doesn’t support, glorify or romanticize ‘sexual harassment’ behavior. All this said, some people that still thought so may be triggered due to their own past or have their own reasons and that is Ok too. Someone said that the show is leading to discussions - it is a good thing. Hopefully more awareness for everyone about the different POV. It is an important start but long way to go in our societies.

• Like 7
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 3

Honestly, this is such a non issue. And I'm not just saying that as a fan of the drama. Simply portraying something problematic isn't problematic in and of itself. For example when dramas depict murder and other bad/illegal things. No one complains about that. Nowhere does the writing condone or promote this behavior, that's clear if you actually watch it. Moving on. Lol

• Like 8
  • Love 6

Kim Soo-hyun and 'Psycho, but it's okay', achieved 18 million views

After the discharge of Hallyu Star Kim Soo-hyun, it is a 'top' as much as the topic.

On the 2nd, as a result of analysis by Smart Media Rep (SMR), which distributes clip VOD (on-demand video) of major broadcasters to online platforms such as Naver and YouTube, the cumulative number of plays of the tvN weekend drama 'Psycho but It's OK' until the 30th of last month is 18 million, It exceeded 10 million and the average number of views per session was 3.37 million.

The cumulative number of plays of SBS TV's Geumtoge'Convenience Store Starbye' starring another Korean wave star Ji Chang-wook which started a day earlier, is 4.14 million times, and the average number of hits is 750,000 times recorded. 

Since the two dramas faced each other face-to-face as they were broadcast at 9 pm on the weekend of 'Psycho but it's fine' and SBS'Convenience Store' at 10 pm on Fridays and Saturdays, Kim Soo-hyun and Ji Chang-wook, two Korean Wave Star's weekend home theater showdown was a concern. Based on the ratings of the day, 'Convenience Store Morning Star', and online response 'Psycho, but it's okay' predominantly exchanged. 

The two dramas also showed a clear difference in the age of viewing clips. 
In the clip video of 'Psycho but it's okay', the majority share (53%) came from the 20s,  while'Convenience Store' showed a share of 29.9% in the 20s, 24.2% in the 30s and 24.6% in the 40s, It was shown that they were evenly loved by all age groups. 

The psychological ward protector Moon Kang-tae (Kim Soo-hyun) and the anti-social writer Go Moon-young (Seo Ye-ji), who had a childhood life with no dreams and hopes with a scar that was young as'Psycho, but it's okay' Content. Seo Ye-ji, who has accumulated acting skills by crossing the positive pole and the sitcom, showed a sweet and bloody melodrama, and Kim Soo-hyun, who returned to the drama in 5 years, was evaluated to express Moon Kang-tae's three-dimensional character well in the play with deeper sensibility. 

In addition, Moon Kang-Tae has an autism spectrum (ASD) and takes care of his brother Moon (Oh Jung-se) trapped in his own world and shows 'Brother Bromans'. The 'strategy' of the drama production team is also hidden in the online craze of 'Psycho, but it's okay'. The production team made online 'highlight videos' for about 10 minutes each time, and in the second week, '5 minutes summary' videos containing the contents of the previous week helped viewers who did not watch the broadcast quickly understand the drama. 

Thanks to such efforts, the '1st Highlight' video broke through a million views and became the most viewed video. Then, the first scene of Go Moon-young in the play was the second highest with 630,000 views. Seo Ye-ji eagerly broke the prejudice that the young fan had 'unconditionally good' and revealed the way of thinking of Ko Moon-young among the plays with antisocial personalities. 

The following was a comic performance of three protagonists who recorded 570,000 plays. Kim Soo-hyun and Oh Jeong-se, who responded differently to Seo Ye-ji's dry aegyo, provoked viewers' laughter.

https://www.ajunews.com/view/20200702082228581

[Photo = tvN provided]

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi everyone! It's been forever since I've logged onto Soompi. I had to make a new account cause for the life of me I can't remember the email/password combo I used to use. BUT THIS DRAMA has me hooked and I REALLLY wanted to talk to people about it lol. I'm already loving some of your conversations and analysis as I back read. I hope to contribute too soon!

I really love this couple. Their chemistry is INSANE and there is so much depth to their characters. Desperately waiting for more episodes now. 

Spoiler

The funny thing is I just cancelled my Netflix's sub since I'm on much but now I HAVE to renew again cause of this show :sweatingbullets: 

Edit

I actually have a question! Does anyone know how I can download episodes to make edits? I know I can't download directly off netflix but youtube doesn't have the full episodes. 

I started making edits for some Turkish shows I watch but I want to make more for IONTBO and other Kdramas. If anyone knows....any help would be appreciated. I've been screen recording Dailymotion videos of the episodes but its very time consuming. 

If you want to watch the first edit I made the link is in the spoiler. I tried my best with what I could get but I couldn't get rid of the logo on the top :mellow: 

Spoiler

MV 

watch till the end for the twist :D^_^

Edited by kaddict
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

Before I touch on other subjects, I want to discuss about the flower symbols in this drama. So far, we have a mention of ‘magnolias’ by MY. And the mention of ‘dandelions’ by KSH and SYJ from the press con/interview. I did a full research on both flowers but so much different meanings on what each flowers mean and symbolizes. So, I will go to my basic roots and provide what I think these two flowers mean in this drama and to the characters. Honestly, I think these flowers pertains more to MY/KT more than the drama itself.

As a child, when I use to walk home from school almost every day, I remember passing by a large white magnolia tree growing outside of a neighbor’s front yard. Every time the flowers grew, I would stop and admire its beauty (not knowing it was actually a magnolia tree until much later on). This flower grew together and when it fell off the branch, fell in one piece. Not petals by petals. I rarely saw this flower fall because it was always on the tree. But when it did fall, it fell as one flower. And died as one flower.

This is what MY means when she mentions that she likes magnolias because they fall in one piece. It grew as a whole and died as a whole. It can actually symbolize how she feels inside. Her emotions are actually summed up pretty well because she knows how she feels inside as a whole. This can be why she is able to see what KT hides from inside of himself. Magnolias withstand climates quite strongly hence are known for their endurance. If we use this flower to symbolize MY, it can come to symbolize the endurance of her long-term mentality. It’s a beautiful flower with a long endurance. 

Dandelions..we all know this flower as a kid. And I think that’s exactly what this flower represents to KT. He mentions in an interview that the dandelion modifies how he feels toward his brother and a girl dandelion is MY.

Dandelions are known as a flower-like sun for its appearance before it becomes the dandelion we all blow on. It is a beautiful flower that represents light and warmth. To KT, his brother is like that. ST is a kid in an adult mind. Yet, ST is KT’s light and warmth. So he always hopes that he will stay that way towards his brother and vice versa. KT is a dandelion himself. He puts other before him and always emits a positive light wherever he goes. He is the golden-sun himself.

However, dandelions are actually a type of weed and grows everywhere. Farmers and gardeners want to get rid of it all the time. Even home owners don’t like having such weeds around. I remember my dad always mowing the lawn when dandelions come out. He specifically told me ‘it kills his grass’ lol. I honestly couldn’t see why but hey, who am I to argue when I don’t mow the lawn :lol: 

Back to the point..it can be quite a bothersome to have weeds growing around other plants. This can represent how he feels internally about his brother. It is also clear that not everyone can accept his brother for how he is. Hence the scene in the beginning and the book signing scene. Society have trouble accepting ST. KT loves his brother, no doubt. But being a caregiver for so long is beginning to burden his shoulders. At a young age, he has forgotten how  and what it was like to be a kid. He doesn’t even know how to relax and breathe. He is always on the move and working. He had to grow up and take on a big responsibility. He is reminded of his mother and how she told him he bore him to take care of his brother. I can’t help but feel that he wants to get rid of this responsibility. He wants the responsibility to be lighter because it is so heavy on him. But he believes no one can take it off of him, or share it with him equally, nor can he just pass it on. Very heartbreaking because I personally want KT to experience a sense of freedom from his pains and responsibilities.

But it is said that when the dandelions no longer have the golden sun, they become a small collection of weed that looks like a flower. Legend goes that if one can blow out a dandelion in one breath, a wish will be granted. As a kid, who didn’t  pluck out a dandelion to blow on it and watch it fly away with a smile? I know I did it all the time. Dandelions remind us of our inner child. One plucks out dandelion to blow out of joy, and one plucks it out to test the legend. We all know it’s very hard to blow out the dandelion in one breath. Yet, it represents hope. When it flies away, it’s a sense of good-bye. When you blow on it to see if a wish will be granted, it’s a sense of hope. To KT, MY represents a girl dandelion. Simply because the dandelion will belong to KT. We don’t often place a gender on a flower unless we want it to be ours personally. Hence, to KT, MY will become his light and warmth, and his hope. Perhaps, even his guide to saying good-bye to how he felt as a child, and an acceptance to who he really is. Overall though, MY will become his dandelion. Let the healing begin for these two. We know it will begin with both of them.

:happydance:

@glory @ruminati0n i tagged you both too since you guys asked if there are any connections to the drama with these flowers :D

• Like 11
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 2

Seo Ye-ji Shows Off Distinctive Style in "It's Okay to Not Be Okay"

EbnOwFMVAAAmT-W?format=jpg&name=large

While the ratings for "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" were static in their second week, "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" continues to draw attention online for its unique visual aesthetic. Lead actress Seo Ye-ji in particular has been emblematic of this aesthetic, often wearing several wildly different outfits over the course of a single episode. And even this doesn't get into her use of accessories or alterations in her makeup.

These stylistic flourishes are all part and parcel for her character. Seo Ye-ji plays a very cold and manipulative woman who deliberately cultivates an aura of attractiveness in order to draw in the leading man played by Kim Soo-hyun. The problem is that, as a bonafide psychopath, there's a genuinely frightening aspect to her manner that frequently feels at odd with her high class wardrobe.

EbptYGWWoAIT0e5?format=jpg&name=large

This gives the changes to Seo Ye-ji's appearance an unsettling vibe, as if her character is experimenting with different means with which she can manage to attract unwitting prey. The distinctive fashion, in any case, makes an impression even without the proper narrative context.

https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-seo-ye-ji-shows-off-distinctive-style-in-it-s-okay-to-not-be-okay-142830.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fan art. Credit as shown.

Ebp0oqGXYAQXcEY?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 11
  • Love 6

the BTS, I guess the director let them freely improvised their scenes? look at KSH directing scenes, he looks like on of the PD.

still need BTS for KMY epic scenes XD

and SYJ side profile!!! her nose OMG why so perfect?!:wub:

• Like 8
  • Love 4

Someone in MDL posted that the scene in ep 1 where ST is drawing may be a foreshadow to the main leads relationship. When ST is drawing, this is the audio that plays in the background. 

Spoiler

"I'm still going to love you. You're as pitiful as I am."

"I'm not pitiful."
"Yes you are."
"You're even treating me like an orphan?"
"Even if you're not, you think and act like an orphan."
"You're ruthless, insecure, thoughtless, and empty-hearted. But I'm still going to love you. Do you know why? Because I decided to do so"
"I also decided.. I'm still going to love you."

While this scene is playing in the background, Sang Tae is drawing what looks like MY's creepy house. What does everyone think? Foreshadowing? Now I feel like I have to go back and rewatch every single detail in every episode lol. 

• Shocked 4
  • Insightful 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@glory @ruminati0n i tagged you both too since you guys asked if there are any connections to the drama with these flowers :D

This is one.... enthralling personal account. Thanks for sharing.

About Flowers and Butterflies....  I looked up the symbolism of a Butterfly and it is about Life Transformation.... where a larvae changes to a caterpillar, and into its final form as  a winged flapper. This piqued my interest... and I looked back to that encounter between the young MY and GT....where she'd tore those poor wingers into pieces.....and then dare asked GT with an impish smile..."now, do still like me?".  I'd take it, MY at this (bitter) point is resisting change and will remain herself... mean and miserly. Which only indicates a troubled home. Her dad gave us some clues...but her mom (a noted talent or artist) in a voice over said... she is her "best creation".  This suggests MY is just another lifeless piece of work/artwork by her mom. As for ST, Butterflies trigger fear that might be related to a childhood trauma;  Or he could be resisting change too. 

Some Scenes I like in the EP 4.

1. When GT got angry in the car. MY actually was talking about Gi-Do's mom when she said "Mothers" drop (do not love) kids who are dumb and weak...which triggered GT for insinuating that his mom (with ST) was no different. It pained GT (to hear this)... because he knew full well his mother was the opposite.... which was why he called her clueless and empty in their face-to-face, toe-to-toe, eye-to-eye conversion at the hospital. Nonetheless I found it hilarious when MY threw him a barrage of "I Love You" as he walked away from her at the sidewalk.

2.  Encounter with the Assemblyman. This to me was an emotional exchange and an eye-opener for GangTae... as the question circled back to him... "that kids are born because of need". Looking at himself in the mirror, it seems to dawn on him... GiDo's dad was right, and  this was so true for him today. And it put a wry smile to his face.  In a flashback in his mom's embrace, it was the essence of what she said to him.... "that is why I had you". It was ironic the slap woke him up.

3.  Ending in the rain.  When GT saw MY looking distraught ... walking by the roadside, he knew something was amiss. As soon as he heard the choking incident with her dad at the hospital, and as an experienced caregiver.... there was no time to spare as he dashed out to find her. Just like when he would cuddle/console ST in his stressful moments, he was right there to offer his shoulder to MY.  Since it was all unexpected (for MY) and all done in the rain...it couldn't get any better than this. Which is why, it was so sweet and heartfelt. Just love that ending.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

https://zapzee.net/2020/07/02/director-park-shin-woo-talks-about-how-its-okay-to-not-be-okay-will-be-an-attractive-story-if-you-accept-the-unfamiliar-parts/
Director Park Shin Woo Talks About How ‘It’s Okay to Not Be Okay’ Will Be an Attractive Story if You Accept the Unfamiliar Parts

by krishkim 

E7BB5A62-6755-48D3-8DD3-E7B156591C11.jpg

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay is receiving positive reviews for its solid story and sensuous directing that highlights the actors’ passionate performances.

The scenes that have captivated the viewers are episode 1) a comical visual effect scene where a patient threw up on Moon Kang Tae, episode 2) a sequence depicting “happiness” of Moon Sang Tae, who is suffering from autistic spectrum disorder, episode 3) a touching episode of patient Kwon Ki Do, episode 4) a scene where Moon Kang Tae’s inner desire to be loved by someone is depicted through his childhood.

In response, director Park Shin Woo shared the key points of his directing in It’s Okay to Not Be Okay.

“I usually ponder over the drama’s ‘tone and manner’ when I am directing, but because It’s Okay to Not Be Okay has such a distinct personality that I was worried about whether to follow or neutralize that personality. Of course, I will admit that there are more unique parts than the script because of my taste.”

“The script had a clear story and topics. I wanted to convey the sincerity of the story even if it took a while to empathize and understand the subject or character. I think the story will get very attractive if you accept the unfamiliar parts and some unusual parts. So I wanted to focus on finding a way of directing just for this story.”

About the scene in episode 2 – a sequence depicting “happiness” of Moon Sang Tae on his way to the signing event of his favorite storybook writer, Go Moon Young – that drew explosive reactions, he explained, “The script showed the happiness of Moon Sang Tae, and when I visited the filming location, there were lots of fun things. There were lots of mannequins, cherry blossom streets, umbrellas, pretty birds in spring posters hanging all over the street, dancing signs, and even raining murals. I wondered how these things would be seen in the eyes of happy Sang Tae. I think I wanted to do that even more (making the sequence) because people with autism spectrum are often portrayed only in unstable and scary ways.”

About directing Go Moon Young, who has an antisocial personality disorder, he said, “I wanted to make Moon Young’s possessiveness and obsession feel similar to that of a young child who wants to have a toy at the beginning of the drama. How Moon Young, who doesn’t understand emotions, changes is the key point of the drama.”

The fairytale in the drama is also an indispensable factor. The storybooks, which have confirmed the release in real life, stop motion animations, and epilogues, have become the talk of the town. Director Park Shin Woo said, “We didn’t create them to emphasize the fairytale codes. The theme of the work, and the history and inner stories of the main characters, are often embodied in these fairytales. The writer has put a ton of effort in writing them, and because they have such strong connections with the drama, I wanted to introduce them in detail.”

Source (1)

——————

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 07. 01.

"It's Okay to Not Be Okay" - weird, heart-warming love story of Kim Soo Hyun and Seo Ye Ji

8D848AB9-9A67-4075-BA7F-A35A3DDD44D1.jpg

A weird yet convincing love.

The light of hope has gradually been glowing in the romantic love story of Kim Soo Hyun and Seo Ye Ji.

The Sat-Sun drama "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" (tvN) is a rom-com added with fanciful elements about the love like a fairy tale. It revolves around caregiver Moon Kang Tae (played by Kim Soo Hyun), who refuses love because of burdens in life, and the children's book writer Ko Moon Young (played by Seo Ye Ji), who has no idea of love due to an inborn disability. The two encounter and then soothe each other's pain.

Showing unusual chemistry right from the first episode, Moon Kang Tae and Go Moon Young are widely supported and affectionately nicknamed "daldal couple" (sweet couple) which combines the word "dal" (meaning "Moon") and "Moon" in both names. Let's analyze the loveline of the drama to see how their collaboration has built up the story that has mesmerized TV viewers.

It's fate but doesn't seem like it

After visiting the hospital to conduct the children’s book reading, Go Moon Young encountered a patient who is a father trying to abuse his daughter mentally. This reminded her of her father who attempted to kill her when she was small. When Go Moon Young was furiously holding the knife, caregiver Moon Kang Tae rushed to stop her. Living a harsh life and getting used to hiding emotions, Moon Kang Tae suppressed his pain of the bleeding hand to protect the patient. This image intrigued Go Moon Young, who innately can't hide her feelings, thereby heralding a bittersweet destiny.

"Stimulating" flirtation

Go Moon Young straightforwardly confessed to Moon Kang Tae that she wanted him because "you're handsome". Although he pushed Go Moon Young away and said that she was "an immoral person", Moon Kang Tae took an interest in her and gently taught her the "butterfly embrace" method to control her emotions. Moon Kang Tae didn't show his feelings and deliberately eluded Go Moon Young, but he kept thinking about her whisper, that "Don't wear a cap. So that I can see your handsome face." That was the moment showing that he had already thought of her.

An affectionate guy and a suffered girl

At the provocation of Go Moon Young, who always saw through his heart and affirmed, "You want to play", Moon Kang Tae finally said honestly, "Can I play with you?". Despite always having to live a hard life because he has to take care of his autistic brother, Moon Kang Tae has shown his desire to have a real life for himself, not a hypocritical life with the catch phrase "My brother is my everything". After curiously following Moon Kang Tae to his hometown, Go Moon Young also frankly confronted with the terrible existence of the mother who used to see her as a work, and faced psychological trauma when standing in front of the father who now has dementia. Both of them are subconsciously bringing change to each other without even knowing it.

Giving each other warmth

Moon Kang Tae and Go Moon Young, the couple who once pretended not to know their true self, realized that they turned out to have more similar flaws than anyone else and needed a consoling, comforting warmth for themselves. The two characters stood face to face in the pouring rain as if in tears, finally embraced each other, they are both filled with trauma, and brought warmth to each other. The public is curious as to whether the couple's sympathy, which moves the audience's heart, is capable of leading to a true soul-healing love story, as well as the path that the two of them will continue in the light reflected by the lighthouse.

On the other hand, according to the content power index (CPI, calculated in the 4th week of June 2020, from June 22 to June 28), "Psycho But It's Okay" is leading the two categories of TV dramas and most influential programs, thereby proving its remarkable popularity.

Reporter Cho Yeon Gyeong  cho.yeongyeong@jtbc.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

saw an english-subbed EP4 BTS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEmhvNmOIp0) just now, and this scene struck me a lot–how their director takes in their input while shooting, and how much insight KSH gives!!! it gives a new and more intimate perspective when watching the drama, to know that some of their scenes were personally crafted by the actors themselves. and idk if KSH has ever done it before, but it seems like our boy has a future in directing! (must also be one of the reasons why he's one of the most decorated actors at his age, if he's as hands-on and as involved as this in all of his projects...)

Screen-Shot-2020-07-02-at-5-52-51-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-07-02-at-5-53-26-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-07-02-at-5-53-28-PM.png

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 3