[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

Finally caught up with all the pages... Was quite busy over the weekend that I didn’t have time to watch the new episodes till later, so been avoiding this thread for spoilers. 

I think the person watching KMY secretly is not JR. She wears her short hair down and we can see clear view of that person’s ear. Could be a man or a woman with hair pulled back in a bun/ponytail. I am reserving my judgment of JR about what alcohol does to her. I think it simply just means that she will be bolder to say her thoughts instead of holding them in. I doubt she will turn into a different personality.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Who's drawn the cruel fairy tale "It's okay with a psycho"? [interview]

Concept Artist Jamsan “There are no places in the drama that I can't reach”

In the tvN Saturday drama <Psycho But It's Okay>, this is a concept artist Jamsan who actually painted a fairy tale book by Ko Mun-young (Seo Ye-ji), a child literature writer with antisocial personality. He is a first-generation illustration artist who worked with the nameplate 'Concept Artist' for the first time.

From "Boys grown up to eat nightmares" to "Zombie children", tvN weekend TV series "Psycho but it's okay" cruel fairy tales have become a hot topic. Fairy tale books play an important role and it is different from common picture books

The dark and cold but heart-warming illustrations are the works of the director of "Psycho but it's okay" Park Shin Woo and the former Jamsan [47 years old) co-worker. 

When he met again over the phone about two years later, Jamsan said: "(Previously) it was mainly advertising in large companies. When I was working with TV series for the first time in "Boyfriend", the feedback I got was more direct than advertising. Satisfied. In this case, Director Park said, "Let’s try something new that we haven’t tried in Korea," so we joined right away." 

The female lead Go Moon Young [Seo Ye Ji] is a fairy tale writer, and the story of Moon Kang Tae (Kim Soo Hyun) also appears in the form of paintings, so the proportion of illustrations is much larger than that of "boyfriend". 

"If "Boyfriend" just creates the atmosphere in the play, then "Psycho but it's okay" is set in the story of the TV series, so there are a lot of worries. After reading the script in advance, I often consult with Park PD "Because I want to draw Moon Young's paintings, murals, paintings of best-selling books hanging on the walls of publishing houses, cartoons, etc., the workload is very large. The clay animation that appeared in the first episode was also born based on his concept art.

Jamsan said that it took only a full month to study the character of the two characters, Moon Kang Tae and Go Moon Young. “Every male and female character has a dark inner face and pain, but the way they are exposed is different. Kang Tae feels like a 'male candy'. He has a willingness to live and basically a good child. On the other hand, Moonyoung is defensive and closed.

For more than 20 years, Jamsan has been active as an illustrator and has consolidated his position with his own unique style of painting. He has worked at Samsung, Nike, etc. Corporate advertisements, opera collaboration, etc. are very famous. He is considered to be a writer who mainly has a "warm picture body". 

Jamsan writer said: "I used to paint a lot of bright, warm and dense painting, also done many projects. But in fact, I have been interested in dark works such as cruel fairy tales and zombies since a long time ago. I want to draw a picture that is both clear and shadow-like. " 

The brutal fairy tales of Jamsan painters are also in proportion to the overwhelming visual effects of Kim Soo Hyun and Seo Ye Ji.

"Both actors have outstanding abilities, so I also like to appreciate the two actors who intersect with my paintings. Especially Seo Ye Ji seems to be the crystallization of darkness and cute charm. In fact, it is also very suitable for my feeling." 

The picture of Moon Kang-tae's older brother (Oh Jeong-se) is also a work of Jamsan. Sang Tae is a person with developmental disabilities who has an autism spectrum, and is a person who expresses his feelings through painting. 

With TV drama and the story books becoming a hot topic, such as in the real-time search ranking whenever the broadcast ended, the number of fans who want to actually read fairy tale books is increasing. TV dramas are negotiating with Jamsan painters to prepare for the distribution of physical books. 

Jamsan painter said: "There will be many new books coming in the future, and there are also many fans waiting for the book, so the actual publishing plan is being developed. We will meet soon."

The fairy tale books containing Jamsan's paintings are also published as real books from mid-July. Jamsan said, "I'm planning on collecting personally collected works and publishing a book at the end of the year." 

https://n.news.naver.com/mnews/article/032/0003018134?sid=103&lfrom=twitter

0003018134_001_20200701170103628.jpg?type=w430

0003018134_005_20200701170104177.jpg?type=w430

0003018134_009_20200701170104301.jpg?type=w430

• Like 12
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 4

Spoiler

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Words cannot fully express my love and admiration for this show. Not only does it have one of my favourite narrative tropes -- broken people who gradually find their way to each other (a well-worn trek in Kdramaland) but then it's much much more than that. It's like reading a postmodern novel within a novel. A subset of the fantasy genre that used to be called "magic realism" made famous by people like Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Gunter Grass. As someone who grew up on folktales, fairytales and Roald Dahl... this show is hitting all the right notes for me. The moralizing is just so beautifully and painfully incorporated into the contemporary setting as well as the fictional elements. I feel like I've been transported inside a Roald Dahl book written for the child inside every adult. On some level you think... this can't possibly work but then for some reason... all these disparate elements somehow come together. While the cast is undoubtedly good, it's the storytelling that's really the star of the show.

From the start I thought it fascinating that Mun-yeong positioned herself as the Witch. Her ASPD seemed to be the perfect cover for someone only too eager to transgress convention and wreak havoc. But it's increasingly obvious that the ASPD is more a result of nurture than nature. The cursed castle where she grew up was clearly a place of bleakness and systematic parental abuse. Here the witch... the prima donna... who acts as an agent of chaos is also the quintessential outsider. Her power... fabulous wealth... allows her to act unencumbered and in the eyes of the ruling elite, irresponsibly. Because she is the outsider, she is quite perceptive and very shrewd because she's looking from the outside in. That's why she can write books like The Boy Who Fed On Nightmares and Zombie Kid. She's an out-of-the-box thinker who imagines dark grotesque fables for a living. That I am guessing is the result of her mother's, the crime writer, handiwork. Nevertheless whatever her mother fashioned her to be, ultimately MY is still a broken human being with needs. There's a part of her that rebels against her programming and brainwashing. The part of her that craves to be loved. Whatever the language she uses. The man-made distortions in her soul can't entirely mask the core of who she is.

I'm supposing that she is looking to Gang-tae to be her champion (to continue along the lines of the fairytale metaphor) or hero because he seems to be fearless in the face of her antics. While he stands up to her, he is genuinely confused by her and thinks perhaps that he has bigger fish to fry. For him he is both intrigued and repelled by the tangled mess that she is. Hence the constant push and pull. She isn't safe not because she does wildly insane things and breaks the rules. She's dangerous because she astutely taps into a side of him he has long suppressed. That's the Gang-tae that wants to live for the moment except for the fact that he's been completely programmed from childhood that his reason for existence is to be his older brother's caregiver. I found that whole side of things very insidious TBH. I don't know if his mother realised the consequences of what she was doing to him telling him that's the reason why he was born... why he came to the world. To be his brother's keeper. I suppose the other extreme can happen too. An entire family directing all their energy at managing the demands of the one who is special needs, while the other son/brother is largely neglected and has no identity of his own except as his brother's primary caregiver.

So we have two individuals who have been brainwashed by their mothers that they have no identity of their own.They have been sculptured after their mothers' image of who they should be.  Their role in the world is It seems to me to be a form of a mental indentured servitude in response to parental expectations. The implication is that the Zombie Kid may or may not have been born a monster but he stayed one because he was raised like he was. Kwon Gi-do is another product of family expectations gone awry.

I'm sure MY sees something of herself in Gang-tae and vice versa. To me they are more like kindred spirits rather than two halves looking for a whole. Each see the echoes of their own brokenness. What I did appreciate most of MY is that though may seem like she wants something out of Gang-tae, she is protective of him too. The fact that she noticed and then got riled up that some one had slapped him shows that it isn't a one way street necessarily. Perhaps, if  and when he is ready to let her, she might become his champion too. Someone who helps him see the possibilities outside the confines of being his brother's keeper. Someone who gives him permission to be himself, to do something that he wants. There's something in Sang-tae that suggests that he wants that for his brother too when he says "I'm the older brother, let me take care of you." 

The idea of a mental health facility being a metaphor for the tension between the individual/outsider and the collective/community is not a new one. It was certainly a theme explored in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. That certainly came to the fore in Kwon Gi-do's arc. He is the proverbial black sheep of the family. The "difficult child" that the family is embarrassed to mention in polite company. He is the outsider. He doesn't fit in even with his own family. Just like the Zombie Kid. Just like Sang-tae and by extension Gang-tae. There are all kinds of people who don't fit comfortably within the group and are fated to lurk in the fringes or are ostracized. There are no easy solutions for this. Maybe the only solution is for them to find their own community of mis-fits where they do fit in.

I am intrigued by the director of OK Psychiatric facility who is an actual clinician albeit a quirky one. He seems to genuinely care about his patients, his staff and the facility. He isn't the usual bureaucrat that runs these sorts of organization.  Unlike GT's previous director, he does his bit to protect his people. It feels like he's walked off the pages of a Roald Dahl book like a Willy Wonka.I hope he hasn't got some dark secret and that he's really a bad guy in disguise because there's a lot more to him that first meets the eye. He's definitely an acute observer of people. I am almost certain that he's making Mun-yeong spend time with her father because he thinks that's something she needs to play out in her life.

From WinterGarden to this... I love you. Thank you for shedding light on this. I really appreciate how you broke it down and used various literary references <3

I've been working on a little something, which I hope will help all those who want to know more about Antisocial Personality Disorder and Mania. Since these two conditions are rarely portrayed in pop culture, a lot of us are caught by surprise. I will attach a couple of Twitter threads. Please read with caution. I apologize because there were some typographical errors that I did notice before posting. :(

Can't wait for Saturday! <3 

• Love 1
  • Insightful 9
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I think the person watching KMY secretly is not JR. She wears her short hair down and we can see clear view of that person’s ear. Could be a man or a woman with hair pulled back in a bun/ponytail. I am reserving my judgment of JR about what alcohol does to her. I think it simply just means that she will be bolder to say her thoughts instead of holding them in. I doubt she will turn into a different personality.

I think that person is this girl. 

3KDoBHg.jpg

In regards to people complaining about sexual harassment in PBIO, there's tons of other complaints I have with "Backstreet Rookie" in which they've already had complaints about that drama. One thing I highly dislike is watching people have sexual affairs but those type of storylines gets higher viewings in SK. Tells me there's something fishy about that. Forgive me if I'm wrong here! 

• Like 7
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Liting1 said:

In regards to people complaining about sexual harassment in PBIO, there's tons of other complaints I have with "Backstreet Rookie" in which they've already had complaints about that drama. One thing I highly dislike is watching people have sexual affairs but those type of storylines gets higher viewings in SK. Tells me there's something fishy about that. Forgive me if I'm wrong here! 

Exactly. The plot of those stories revolve around infidelity and how it breaks apart a marriage or a family. People defend those because it is an illustration of reality and what happens to the people involved in a broken family.

Why can't we extend the same treatment to a show that depicts a character who is apparently diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder? If you watch the entire series, you would know that her actions are similar to what people with ASPD tend to do. This only goes to show how the society is not yet open to openly address mental health issues, which a lot of people are already struggling with. 

I hope they put a character in the show portraying an actor/actress/idol who is seeking for mental help. That way, the general public will be more aware about the internal struggles of celebrities, idols, and the like. Society tend to be so cruel towards them. One wrong move, and they're immediately cancelled. If we are allowed to make mistakes, why can't they?

Moon-young is right. We are hypocrites.

(On that note, maybe the portrayal of an actor/actress/idol won't have much effect. Would the people who immediately lash out on celebrities for making a small mistake even be watching It's Okay to Not Be Okay, in the first place?)

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Liting1 said:

I think that person is this girl. 

I am guessing so too... 

As for KMY’s mother, it just occurred to me that could it be that she is in vegetative state? Thus she is physically dead but still “alive”? 

The flashback, we see young KMY holding a key standing in front of the room where her mother lying on the floor. My guess is that she is there to open the door. Mother must’ve been locked up by the father? Looking at the lights forming through the gaps, the room seemed like some sort of shed. It is quite common in the past for the family to lock up a member whom they deemed to be mentally unsound. Maybe, the first time when she was drowning, KMY didn’t end up saving her (saved by the father instead) so this time she was going to save her by unlocking the door, except that maybe it was too late...?

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 6

20 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am guessing so too... 

As for KMY’s mother, it just occurred to me that could it be that she is in vegetative state? Thus she is physically dead but still “alive”? 

The flashback, we see young KMY holding a key standing in front of the room where her mother lying on the floor. My guess is that she is there to open the door. Mother must’ve been locked up by the father? Looking at the lights forming through the gaps, the room seemed like some sort of shed. It is quite common in the past for the family to lock up a member whom they deemed to be mentally unsound. Maybe, the first time when she was drowning, KMY didn’t end up saving her (saved by the father instead) so this time she was going to save her by unlocking the door, except that maybe it was too late...?

I'm a bit confused by her mom. In the first episode, Juri gave me the impression that Moon-young's mom is alive, but in the second episode, the characters mention that she's dead. Moon-young's answers are vague as well. 

Regarding what you said about her being in a vegetative state, do you think it is possible that her 'subconscious' is the one threatening Moon-young?

I've never been this excited for a weekend DSJFLKDSJF:

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Fangirl said:

About the complain about harassment, I think the writer just want to portray the behavior of antisocial disorder. It does happen in real life.

honestly this is really all that has to be said about that complain. the behavior that MY exhibited was a true illustration of someone with ASPD. in my abnormal psychology class, we are taught that to remember the essential features of antisocial personality disorder, we only ever have to look at its literary sense: anti = against/non-acknowledgement, social = social norms/rights of others.

but not all viewers are familiar with these nuances of the disorder, so we acknowledge that the scene could be taken differently by different people–and it was: some were made to feel uncomfortable, and there were those who romanticized/glorified that scene–which the actual show never did–without taking into account its context. the beauty of this drama however, which it has already been succeeding in, is that it opens up conversations about such topics. the problem then lies with the people who are unwilling to be educated and those who continually refuse to acknowledge the concept and realities of mental health and mental disorders.

• Like 19
  • Love 1

FEATURED

“It’s Okay To Not Be Okay” Episode 4 Gives Insightful Lessons On Parent-Child Relationships

By Lilly | July 1, 2020

THE LATEST EPISODE OF IT’S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY BRINGS THE TWO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN HURT TOGETHER AGAIN AS IT REVEALS THE SIMILARITIES OF THEIR PAINFUL PAST.

It’s Okay To Not Be Okay reflects another thoughtful narrative in episode 4. The latest episode draws attention on the fact that sometimes a parent’s love for their child may not always be selfless. In the end, they might have some expectations from the kids.

101061165-711079966130198-86863773567822

Kim Soo Hyun Seo Ye Ji

But, what the parents are not aware about is that sometimes they might be causing a huge toll on their children by inflicting their wishes upon them. Episode 4 of It’s Okay To Not Be Okay highlights another deep perspective on human relationships and its impact on their lives.

It’s Okay To Not Be Okay Episode Recaps: 1&2 | 3

AFTEREFFECTS OF KWON GI DO’S ACTIONS

Kwon Gi Do’s (Kwak Do Yeon) blatant disruption of his father’s rally does not go well. Assemblyman Kwon Man Su (Han Ki Joong) collapses at the shock.

As the staff from OK Psychiatric Hospital takes Kwon Gi Do away, Nam Joo Ri (Park Gyu Young) asks for one of the family members to follow. Kwon Gi Do’s mother (Lee Young Sook) comes along but when she faces her son, she slaps him and rebukes him for causing an embarrassment to the family.

Following all these incidents, the hospital chief, Oh Ji Wang (Kim Chang Wan) calls for a meeting among the staff. Most of the people present want to get Go Moon Young (Seo Ye Ji) fired however the chief is hesitant and puts his decision on hold.

Meanwhile, Kwon Man Su visits the hospital to take an ire against the people who led his son to escape and ruin his campaign rally. Moon Gang Tae (Kim Soo Hyun) goes alone to face the complainant.

However, when Kwon Man Su makes harsh statements about his son saying that parents give birth to children so that they can fulfill their needs, Moon Gang Tae loses his cool. An exchange of words occurs and the politician hits Gang Tae for raising his voice.

1593580067667-e1593580025901.jpg

THE PARENTS WHO CAUSED PAIN TO THEIR CHILDREN

A flashback from the past revealed that a young Moon Gang Tae (Moon Woo Jin) was hurt with the amount of negligence he faced from his mother. His mother was always more attentive towards his autistic older brother. Therefore, she was only aware of her older son’s sufferings and not the younger.

On the other hand, Go Moon Young continues to see visions of her mother, who thinks of her more as prized creation rather than anything else.

Meanwhile, Go Moon Young who was adamant at not taking her sick father Go Dae Hwan (Lee Eol) for a walk finally decides to do so after Moon Gang Tae gets upset at her bashful comments about her father.

At the hospital, she runs into Moon Sang Tae (Oh Jung Se), with whom she hangs out for brief amount of time. As the two were having a conversation, an angry Moon Gang Tae appears, who asks his brother to get away.

Seeing that Moon Gang Tae was hit, Go Moon Young inquires him on what had caused that to happen. But, Moon Gang Tae fumes further in fury and asks her if she even know how to feel anything. Then, he tells her that she would never understand his feelings and leaves right away.

Thereafter, as Go Moon Young meets her father, she asks him if he knows her. Things go south immediately as Go Dae Hwan tries to choke her again and yells at her telling her to die. Go Moon Young smiles with empty eyes while a tear fall from them.

1593580828066-e1593580755977.jpg

THE ZOMBIE KID

As Moon Gang Tae takes a bus home, he notices Go Moon Young striding slowly in the pavement. The state of the lady gets him worried but he does not stop while, Go Moon Young continues walking.

At home, after completing the house chores, Moon Gang Tae takes a look at the items inside his brother’s bag. First, he opens the sketchbook wherein there is a caricature of Go Moon Young who is flashing a wide smile.

Next, Moon Gang Tae pulls out a fairytale book The Zombie Kid which was written by Go Moon Young. Remembering that the author had suggested to read her book and give his feedback, he starts reading the story.

The Zombie Kid narrates the story of a young boy who was born different. All that the kid ever did was to eat continuously. The mother continued to feed the kid but nothing could appease his hunger.

In the end, the mother gave up her hands and limbs to feed him and was left with nothing but a torso. The Zombie Kid embraced his mother in her last moments and spoke for the first time saying that it was warm.

What did the boy really want? Satiating his hunger? Or feeling his mother’s warmth?

– The Zombie Kid by Go Moon Young

Spoiler

1593582340209-e1593582309506.jpg

THE MEETING IN THE RAIN

Upon reading the book, Moon Gang Tae bursts into tears. Another flashback from the past shows Moon Gang Tae hugging his mother and feeling comfort in her warmth. But his mother tells him that he must always be there to take care of his older brother and that she gave birth to him for that purpose.

In that moment, Jo Jae Soo ( Kang Ki Doong) comes home who mentions the incident that occurred between Go Moon Young and her father at the hospital. On learning that they might not be so different, Moon Gang Tae goes to look for Go Moon Young in the rain.

He finds her still walking aimlessly on the street fully drenched. No words were spoken but they could feel the emotions of the other and then they finally fall into each other’s arms.

IT’S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY EPISODE 4 AFTERTHOUGHTS

It’s Okay To Not Be Okay continues to engross with the way it touches upon some of the less talked about topics. The series has so far uncovered the different layers of the main leads.

If the previous episode was about how a person with a manic disorder views the world, this episode showcases how parents can be the root cause of their children’s pain. Episode 4 throws light into sensitive issues like parent’s negligence, favoritism among children and child abuse.

In Gang Tae’s case, his mother was too absorbed in taking care of the needs of the older brother. So, the thought of the younger one suffering never crossed her mind. Imagine being told by your parent that they only brought you to the world because they expected you to do something in return.

As for Moon Young’s father, he really considers her a monster and believes that she deserves to die. For people who are born different, they either receive help or are hated for being a burden. For Moon Young, it was the latter.

The story of Zombie Kid was quite heartbreaking and it makes viewers go through deep thoughts. It seems like each of Moon Young’s stories consists parts of herself.

With Gang Tae and Moon Young discovering a common ground, the future episodes hold a lot of promises. Though the fact still stands that as a person who suffers from antisocial personality disorder, Moon Young is still egoistic and manipulative. But with Gang Tae’s help she might be able to suppress her negative points and bring out the positives.

It’s Okay To Not Be Okay airs every Saturday and Sunday on tvN and is also available on Netflix for streaming.

https://www.hellokpop.com/featured/its-okay-to-not-be-okay-episode-4/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, midflight said:

Exactly. The plot of those stories revolve around infidelity and how it breaks apart a marriage or a family. People defend those because it is an illustration of reality and what happens to the people involved in a broken family.

Why can't we extend the same treatment to a show that depicts a character who is apparently diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder? If you watch the entire series, you would know that her actions are similar to what people with ASPD tend to do. This only goes to show how the society is not yet open to openly address mental health issues, which a lot of people are already struggling with. 

I hope they put a character in the show portraying an actor/actress/idol who is seeking for mental help. That way, the general public will be more aware about the internal struggles of celebrities, idols, and the like. Society tend to be so cruel towards them. One wrong move, and they're immediately cancelled. If we are allowed to make mistakes, why can't they?

Moon-young is right. We are hypocrites.

(On that note, maybe the portrayal of an actor/actress/idol won't have much effect. Would the people who immediately lash out on celebrities for making a small mistake even be watching It's Okay to Not Be Okay, in the first place?)

I also hope that they have an idol/actor/actress character as well.  To me the beauty of this series is that it lets the viewers make their own judgment.  Are you the type that willing to take your time to read and try to understand mental illness or the type that put a label on it and call it a day?  Somehow I feel like there’re viewers bias, like you're expecting what a k-drama supposed to be like but this series employed some of those concept but make you question it/ uncomfortable about it. 

What most people do not know is that mental illness doesn't take a rest or be considerate to the person that's having it.  It's relentless in its pursuit to make you feel a certain ways, at least in my case with mental pain. 

Any who, I really want to join in the discussion but I'm having a hard time putting my thought into words.  Thus far, I love everything about this series, so I'm hoping that they're going to end the series in a satisfying manner, I got let down too many time. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Nam Joo Ri Deciding what to do to keep up with Ko Moon Young :mrgreen: 

** oh yeah Best seller sassy deer milk :D

ezgif-6-296541a14642.gif

Ko Moon Young , you can try :w00t:

15936372171593637196.gif

** these two are so different like milk & vodka :phew:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, blueclueblue said:

I also hope that they have an idol/actor/actress character as well.  To me the beauty of this series is that it lets the viewers make their own judgment.  Are you the type that willing to take your time to read and try to understand mental illness or the type that put a label on it and call it a day?  Somehow I feel like there’re viewers bias, like you're expecting what a k-drama supposed to be like but this series employed some of those concept but make you question it/ uncomfortable about it. 

Just to add.....

Mental illness like Cancer is a scourge of the earth....like stain or stigma any family wouldn't want to live with. So who would want to marry into a family knowing that their DNA could pass on to the next generation....or inherit a straight jacket perhaps?

It is a daunting task any family will face. We often hear about families make the conscious effort to hide permanently (or banish), if not disown a certified crazy member of their family. This is a very sensitive issue that can confront a mother or a father who will be forever living with this dreadful situation. There will be no peace even after they're already passed, and those left behind will inherit the scourge and carry on. 

Ever wonder why some families decide to abort an unborn child identified with some mental disability?  Not trying to be political...(only because it is an easy example)....  the very admirable case of Sarah Palin (former VP bet) who decided to keep her unborn child identified with a down syndrome. Many will dump/abort that child in a heartbeat.

Which brings me to the point about Gang Tae's mom showing more affection and attention to Sang Tae...because the pain and suffering is staring her in the face...why she instilled or ingrained the point on the young GT....apart from the fact, had the circumstances switched (GT instead of ST)....then GT knows he gets all the love and care from mom as well.

Nevertheless, his mother somehow can feel a sense of trust in young GT... that he would fully understand even if that meant a scar in his heart. And mom was right, as GT carried out the  task mom has started. It is not by accident that GT chose the job as a mental health caregiver. It only exhibited his full commitment, so that he can be fully equipped... mentally, physically and psychologically for the long haul ahead. Which is a very admirable and good example for the viewing public. 

Lastly, it would add clarity if the writer or the production staff have posted a disclaimer somewhere in their literature... stating that a character was seen and diagnosed with certain illness by a certified professional...so as to dispel the propensity of viewers to make their own self diagnosis and/or prognosis about the behavior or illness of a character.  There is more to making/rendering a diagnosis than just ticking boxes from a textbook or web materials.            A caregiver had to look in the person/patient's eyes and ask a battery of questions repeatedly, just an example.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, midflight said:

I'm a bit confused by her mom. In the first episode, Juri gave me the impression that Moon-young's mom is alive, but in the second episode, the characters mention that she's dead. Moon-young's answers are vague as well. 

Regarding what you said about her being in a vegetative state, do you think it is possible that her 'subconscious' is the one threatening Moon-young?

It is possible that her subconscious is the one torturing KMY. 

I am going to go with Mom still alive. When Juri said “but your mother is alive” she was cut off promptly by KMY, who continued to emphasize that she registered her death, putting a stop to further talk about her mother. For someone who hasn’t seen KMY for a long time, Juri wouldn’t be so confident to protest to KMY that her mother is alive unless she knows that for a fact. In those 20 years they haven’t seen each other, a lot of things could happen including death of parents. KMY also claimed to be an orphan, and that Juri knows this already. So I am seeing that’s KMY is in denial stage and prefer to think both her parents are dead. Yes she might have registered her mother’s death, but was it really approved/legalized... probably not. 

• Like 5

It is somewhat surprising that a charge of sexual harassment should be levelled at Mun-yeong but not at Kwon Gi-do for flashing his boy parts and masturbating in front of others. Maybe it's because his arc was done in an amusing way and the root of his mental health issues was highlighted and he was able to garner some sympathy. But it does seem to suggest double-standards. In a show about mental health issues populated by people with mental health problems, sexual harassment would be very low down in my list of concerns. That said, I don't deny that Mun-yeong probably needs help. What's more I think MY herself knows she needs help. That's why she's tethered herself to Gang-tae because she has an inkling that he might be her get-out-of-jail card. "I've found my red shoes"

The other thing that struck me about Kwon Gi-do's arc later is how much it reminded of Hans Christian Andersen's The Emperor's New Clothes. It made me wonder if this was deliberate because Andersen's other works like The Ugly Duckling, Little Mermaid and The Red Shoes have already been referenced in the drama which feels increasingly like a homage to the writer. Emperor's New Clothes is one that has fascinating political parallels because the vain but empty-headed emperor is scammed into believing that his new clothes are magically invisible and none of his subjects dares say anything to contradict that fact. Until a child points out the obvious, that the emperor isn't wearing anything at all.

GD is like that child in the story that points out that his father the assemblyman is essentially a fake because his public persona doesn't match the reality. The assemblyman isn't a good man. There is no substance to the campaigning. The "emperor" there has no clothes. Ironically GD is the one that is often in a state of undress exposing himself publicly as if to say he is the dark secret of the Kwon family that needs to be exposed. His nakedness suggests that he hates living with the lie that the family is a happy one. The family thinks that GD is the embarrassment but in reality the real embarrassment is in how he is treated by them and the attempts by the family to hide him in the skeleton closet.

We see confirmation of the assemblyman's dubious character when he comes storming into the director's office with his henchmen demanding not only an apology from the culprits of his son's escape but also for them to kneel before him like he's the king of the castle. There he throws his weight around in typical Kdrama corrupt official fashion and fortunately for the facility, everything is caught on camera. This man who thinks he's the emperor really has no clothes... has now exposed himself to be the fatuous bully that he is.

For a number of reasons, I was thinking of Peter Pan and the Lost Boys. I won't go into here but I was thinking about a character from Hospital Playlist and contrasting him with Gang-tae. I haven't completely decided if Gang-tae is a kind of Peter Pan or a reverse Peter Pan. Or if Sang-tae is the Peter Pan with Gang-tae and Jae-su as his Lost Boys. At this point I tend to think that Gang-tae is the reverse Peter Pan... The boy who didn't really have a childhood (or wasn't allowed to have one) and the boy in him only knows how to run from place to place. In a way his highly developed sense of responsibility gives the impression that he's very grown up but in some ways he's never grown up. The mysterious Butterfly, a possible nemesis, is analogous to Captain Hook who represents a continuing and imminent danger that sooner or later needs to be confronted. In that sense KSH is a suggestive choice because he looks like he's drunk from the fountain of eternal youth. ;) 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

34 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It is somewhat surprising that a charge of sexual harassment should be levelled at Mun-yeong but not at Kwon Gi-do for flashing his boy parts and masturbating in front of others.

Actually his flashing was criticized too as sexual harassment. I know at least that is so in some countries outside of SK. Even him using Morning Sun to reference a huge scandal last year was also criticized. It’s like any drama produced has to be politically and socially perfect now. No one talk about the classic works though which also contain a whole lot of social injustice... probably because no one reads them anymore.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1