[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

@Ameera Ali I can always count on you for awesome pic posts! Thank you!

So excited for the weekend, I watched both 1-2 and loved it! 

The Tim Burton like artwork and gorgeous wardrobe for the FL. Just seeing KSH is lovely!:yaaa:

So excited about our FL and ML, let the games begin.:eats2:

• Like 9
  • Love 2

On 6/25/2020 at 5:31 PM, stroppyse said:

Perhaps I should have put a note on this. Not having the "scent" of a soul means that she's lacking a soul, or perhaps an awareness of her soul. In order to convey a depth or a realness to something, make it more concrete, they'll sometimes say that it has the smell or the scent of something.

Spoiler

So in this case, it's a way of saying that even though she looks utterly perfect, that she's lacking a little something that makes her completely human, and since people are the ones who have souls, it's saying she's missing her soul. In non-poetic terms, its her inability to feel empathy for people and therefore treat everything amorally. That also ties into her clinical diagnoses, which a number of people seem to have an opinion on as to whether her diagnosis is correct or not, but that's not what I'm focusing on right now. Rather, it's the description that she comes across as souless/heartless/inhuman because of her psychological condition.

What I thought was interesting about her character description is that she does have a vulnerable side to her that she keeps hidden behind the outlandish styling. So, she may not be a true psychopath then.

The interaction that I"m really looking forward to is seeing ST interact with MY. ST idolizes MY, but he's also a gifted artist who has been doodling MY's fairy tales on his own. I'm curious to see how their relationship plays out, since I do think that MY and ST will have a relationship of some kind, even if it's not the romance that will develop between MY and KT. Still, I think both brothers are going to enter MY's life and change it, as she will change their lives.

That's very helpful!  Thanks for clarifying the meaning.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:07 PM, fluffyloaf said:

Sang Tae's character is really interesting to me too. In episode 2, he is already bringing me too much emotions. I hope my heart can stand whatever that will come next in his storyline (hopefully I won't be crying from too much pain). I also love how refreshing straightforward and cool MY is. She likes what she likes. An obsession is an obsession. No sugar coating it. No twists and turns. Wrong is wrong. And punishment is due where it is deserved. I do like to think that she resembles a part of reality where those who are deemed as vulgar and labelled as rotten are those who are the least pretentious, sincere and kind, looking to protect themselves and those they love from hypocrites' harm. I had super low expectations for this drama prior to episode 1. But now I can't stop myself from being hopeful and it is frustrating.

Super love the kid actor for young KT too. I can't wait to see more flashback of his acting. He seems quite prospective for his age.

I like that too about not sugar coating it.  In other dramas they would try to dress it up as love at first sight or something but Moon Young is just, like: I'm obsessed with you, I missed you so I'm following you here:lol:

Yes, the young KT is really good and the young ST too.  I'm looking forward to more of their flashbacks to see what shaped KT into the person he is today.

6 hours ago, blademan said:

Kwak Dong Yeon Cameo :D

That's a great surprise!  I wasn't expecting a cameo from KDY. He is so handsome and a great actor:wub: 

From what I can Google translate he is playing an inpatient son of a politician?

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I just moved on from a highly acclaimed medical drama and landed right into another medical drama. LOL. This must be my 3rd medical drama this year including Chocolate. Let's see... I started the year with a hospice... then a big city hospital and now I'm wandering around in a psychiatric facility like Alice in Wonderland. ;) I am beginning to wonder if I have mental health issues too.

I came for Kim Soo-hyun (haven't seen him in anything since The Producers) but I'm really enjoying both the leads. Seo Ye-jin is terrific in this as Ko Mun-yeong. And I have missed KSH's million dollar smile. It's heartening that we're seeing more female lead characters that break the Kdrama stereotype. I didn't realise this is the handiwork of the PD of Jealousy Incarnate but it does explain the quirky fantastical [Tim] Burtonesque feel of the product. 

Two episodes in and I'm really enjoying this. It's great. I had no idea what to expect but it's so much better than I had hoped. It does move a little quickly and I might have to go back and revisit the parts where the books are read. More than Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, this story gives me a Great Expectations vibe. I think it's because the Moon Gang-tae and Ko Mun-yeong dynamic reminds me a little of  Pip and Estella. Even when I was looking at the trailers, that was the impression that I came away with. Then there was a scene of Mun-yeong standing in a balcony surrounded by torn drapes. Like Satis House. But that's just an initial feel that I got. I have a feeling that Mun-yeong isn't really ASPD but has just been brainwashed and abused into being that way.

Gang-tae is the archetypal Caregiver. (Which is par for the course in a medical drama) I was going to say that he's a magnet for needy people but maybe he's the one who's attracted to the needy types. He can't help himself but jump into one fray after another. He hardly had a childhood when his mother died and he has spent all his waking hours looking after his much older brother. And he certainly doesn't do safe despite what he says and what's been said of him. I don't feel that he's running away from as much as he's running aimlessly in search of something. The truth about his mother's death perhaps? Or some kind of existential validation outside of being a caregiver.

It's also interesting that there's a crime angle to this. Presumably we'll be given more details as the show progresses. The butterfly seems to be some kind of recurring motif for death and destruction. Sang-tae labels the killer as "The Butterfly" for some reason and said Butterfly apparently let him go despite the fact that he was an eyewitness. 

Using the fairytale angle I suppose Mun-yeong sees Gang-tae as a kind of talisman... that's also indicated by the preamble where the little girl meets a boy who deflects the shadowy cloud that stalks her. In true Kdrama fashion they have a childhood connection which is integral to their dynamic. Does someone like Gang-tae thrive in an environment of dysfunction? Does he enjoy the chaos because it gives meaning to his otherwise painful and mundane existence? Is Mun-yeong Yin to his Yang?

Hard to believe that KSH is 32. Seems that he hasn't aged since his Dream High days.

• Like 11
  • Love 4

I love this quote! :heart:

"If someone shows up when you need them, you call that destiny."

- Go Moon Young

Ebd5FeIXsAEkYyj.jpg

Behind the scenes stills of Seo Ye Ji! :wub:

Ebe2n4dUEAE8Ax7.jpg

Ebe2n4eU4AAhKIW.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 4

You are the second person (apologies, I can't remember the name of the other poster) to mention the Great Expectations vibe and I definitely agree.  I think her mother could turn out to be the Miss Havisham who has moulded and brainwashed MY.  The glimpses we have seen of MY's childhood home certainly has that Victorian gothic feel, so does some of her wardrobe and the torn drapes reminds me of the decaying Satis House.

26 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Two episodes in and I'm really enjoying this. It's great. I had no idea what to expect but it's so much better than I had hoped. It does move a little quickly and I might have to go back and revisit the parts where the books are read. More than Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, this story gives me a Great Expectations vibe. I think it's because the Moon Gang-tae and Ko Mun-yeong dynamic reminds me a little of  Pip and Estella. Even when I was looking at the trailers, that was the impression that I came away with. Then there was a scene of Mun-yeong standing in a balcony surrounded by torn drapes. Like Satis House. But that's just an initial feel that I got. I have a feeling that Mun-yeong isn't really ASPD but has just been brainwashed and abused into being that way.

I rewatched episode 2 and I noticed the theme of facing your trauma comes up repeatedly. It's obviously a throwback to the first episode and the moral of The Boy Who Fed on Nightmares story; it is referenced when KT is looking for jobs and reads about the Director of OK Hospital who talks about the importance of facing your trauma to heal; when KT teaches MY the butterfly hug and she turns around and tells him a trauma should be faced head-on.  Finally, in the end of episode 2, KT accepts he has been running away and is ready to return to his childhood town and face his trauma.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, blademan said:

Kwak Dong Yeon Cameo :D

OMG, I kneeeew it!!!! I felt the recemblence from the previews but didn't confirm it. I love KDY. He is super charming and he has the type of face features I love ( features that are perfect for evil or naughty  characters but when he plays a softy it's heartthrobbing... ) His character here seems to be naughty and he is probably one of the patients of Ok Hospital...from my memory of the previews, MY seem to have helped him escape to sabotage his politician dad's campaign or something....If so, it's going to be hilarious! Can't wait !

• Like 7

@gm4queen omg FL wardrobe is fabulous! I am personally lazy and lacking funds to dress like her character, but I acknowledge the stylist is soooo good! The sponsors and budget for this drama!!! Her voice is mesmerizing indeed and her visuals gorgeous.:winkx:

Spoiler

Reminding me of IU in Hotel Del Luna her haughty quirky character and gorgeous visuals and wardrobe too boot. Instead of the husky voice hers is girlish and breathy.

@hwonhwon_stv omg the child actor as the ML is adorbs thank you. Looking forward to seeing him more as we explore our OTP’s past too possibly this weekend? :Please:

@Ahpheng Always appreciate your posts in other threads , I am excited for your posts as you never disappoint with cool collages . Keep them coming and great to see you here!!:approves:

@40somethingahjumma Love your post! I adored Jealousy Incarnate & I also saw Chocolate & Hospital Playlist , Romantic Dr Kim S2 & Fix You. So I too have been watching a lot of dramas in the hospital thus far too. Excited to continue in this journey.

omg Dream High , I watched it and loved him in it of course! I started loving him in Will It Snow For Christmas as Go Soo’s younger self. His handsome looks but great mature acting turned my head to notice him. So when he was in Dream High as the ML I wasn’t surprised! I loved he got fame with Jung JiHyun in their famous hit as an alien (handsome one at that). I love he is not conventionally handsome but he is full of soul and depth I love watching him. So happy I can see him again after serving his country! :happydance:

Looking forward you our OTP later today!

• Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, raziela said:

You are the second person (apologies, I can't remember the name of the other poster) to mention the Great Expectations vibe and I definitely agree.  I think her mother could turn out to be the Miss Havisham who has moulded and brainwashed MY.  The glimpses we have seen of MY's childhood home certainly has that Victorian gothic feel, so does some of her wardrobe and the torn drapes reminds me of the decaying Satis House.

Thanks for that. I think I really need to go back and re-read Great Expectations to be sure. It's a good excuse anyway. Heh. But I agree about the wardrobe. That's probably a crucial factor. Also the fact that she toys with him like she's trying to convince herself that she's in control and that she's a real badass. On some level she is. But her whole entire persona feels more like an act to me. Everything about her is larger than life. Not just her wardrobe. She's bombastic. She has a penchant for knives. She stabs/hurts nasty men. There is an odd vigilante streak in her. She's very inconsistent. Besides, if you're a child who wants friends and don't have any, why would you turn around and kill a butterfly in front of a boy who likes you? Especially if he's giving you some measure of happiness. I imagine she did it at someone's instigation. Someone who doesn't want her to have friends and be happy. So yeah, there is/was a Miss Havisham in her life. 

There's definitely a kind of stoicism underlying a lot of what's going on. It's more than just facing one's traumas. When I look at The Boy Who Fed on Nightmares, what the witch says suggests that one not only has to acknowledge the traumas but absorb them as part of your arsenal. It's a case of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Pain and suffering isn't just to be faced, they should be embraced because they build character, mature a person and help them cope with more inevitable suffering. You're building emotional muscles as it were. It's like you have to earn your happiness through suffering. You can't ever be happy unless you understand suffering or wrestled with it. But to deliberately force a child to suffer to teach them that kind of lesson is extreme to say the least and that's an entirely different thing together. It's nothing more than a tragic behaviourist experiment.

What also interests me about TBWFON is the Faustian pact. That's another literary reference. The boy makes a pact with the witch... in the same way that Faust makes a pact with Mephistopheles for his soul. The witch gives the boy what he wants but doesn't tell him the consequences of what he's asking for. He only finds that out when it's too late. It's a fascinating parable about the dangers of getting what you want. What you want isn't necessarily what you need. What you want can have unintended consequences. The question I have is how do you overcome those nightmares so that they are part of one's toolkit? The story doesn't tell the reader how anyone should take hold of suffering and not become bitter or resentful. Where does hope come from? It's not a given that suffering in and of itself makes people more resilient. It breaks people too. Psychiatric facilities are full of people who couldn't mentally cope with suffering.

The other thing was the red shoes. She references Andersen's The Red Shoes but what I was thinking was Dorothy's ruby slippers (Wizard of Oz) which takes her home to Kansas. Mun-yeong wears her red shoes back to Seojin City which is home for Gang-tae and probably home for her too. It's certainly where they met as kids.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 9

omg i'm so so late to the party >< It'd been a crazy week at work and rl stuff for me TT but i watched the 2ep and what to say it left me speechless. I'm so in awe with everything, from the excellent directing, gorgeous cinematography and transactions, so innovative and smooth. and that animation intro?! woww it's just creative and really setting the perfect mood for the drama. I gotta mention the unique ost/bgm too. I like how they use it in the otp scene, like their first meeting, with how beautiful the setting was, you thought it's gonna be 'cheesy' but nope, the music and editing really brought a peculiar atmosphere, it's like the usual 'love at 1st sight' scene but Moonyoung style lol I thought her line would sound corny but the way she said it wasnt at all. Like ah she recognized those signs of cliché but she doesn't give af at that moment or rather both of them lol 

I think i'm not alone to be owned by Moonyoung charm lol she's charismatic, mysterious in the way you know underneath that extravagant look and mean demeanour and harsh words lies more story to tell. I love my characters to have layers and i'm already so invested in MY and GT journey. Both are carrying emotional scars and burden, that it'd take more to heal.

I read someone comments about how they're perfect for each other and i agree. (aside from their out worldly chemistry that's given lol) GT seems to live but not really living. All his life he has repressed to the life of ST, his brother. Tbh GT left me a quiet different first impression. The first scene when the director complained about ST and the later noticed it. His expression when he cleared out ST's locker, he was clearly upset, but then he kept a smiling face to ST. GT seems like having a certain resentment towards his brother, i don't doubt his love for ST but sometimes it wore him down. I think it's part of reason people telling GT to stop smiling or saying 'it's okay' cause it's 'disgusting', for me it's bc even when he's smiling, his eyes don't really mean it. Then MY appeared, she made him feel things he's refused to for so long, he's frustrated, he's mad, he's intrigued and he desired, she forced him to rethink about his choices. made him realize what he's been doing and also how strong ST actually is. I really like that scene where ST said he's the older brother and GT can count on him ^^

In return, MY seems to be attracted to GT look, i mean practically everyone in this drama is attracted to him in some way lol but deep down i feel she wants somebody to see and accept her for how she is. and through GT actions and words, she thought he'd be different than others, that he'd be able to see through her too. She looked hurt at the elevator scene when GT just deemed her as a hopeless case without cure and he should just avoid. MY is similar to GT in some way, she stays at a hotel and isn't settled down. Beside her disorder, I think her mother also had a mental disorder even more severe and MY became a victim of her outrages. Her father probably felt hopeless in the situation when he couldn't do anything to save his wife and daughter until he realized MY was or has become like her mother, he decided to end it his way.. MY may just be as empty as GT, before meeting him, every night no doubt she's drown in her own nightmares that's her mother memories and constant presence. I think her mother is dead, but she has 'succeeded' in installing her 'soul' in MY mind since she was young. I feel her 'obsession' with GT started after him confessing about the girl from the past and when he told her she's more like a 'clueless freak'. MY must have thought maybe just maybe he's different, by he'd not judge her for who she is. She felt warmth, sympathy and more from another human being for the first time and that her mind now is occupied by other feeling than self hatre and agony. I'm really looking forwards to how their relationship will grow, how they'll affect each other. I don't hope for a 'love will cure all'.. well let's be honest it's gonna be partly that way, but still i hope they'll show us how between very damaged and hurt people we can find solace and help healing each other to be happier. I don't expect MY to change either, she is what she is and in the end i just wish for her to find peace with herself. kkk why i sound so biased towards MY lol 

I'm also curious about the butterfly murdere (not gonna lie, i was screaming, no not butterfly again, those who watched Born Again will feel me lol) I wonder how much it's going to be involved in the story. as some theories, is it linked to MY's mother? And in ep1 they hinted it when that patient was killed by MY's knife, is there another murderer? a 'thoughtful freak' roaming around MY? i don't think they'll make it that evident she's the culprit but then who?

Last but not least, i love love how they portray the world in Sangtae eyes, the scene was beautiful and put a smile on my face through out. I also love how MY used the exact same words the woman said about ST to get back at them. So satisfying, go my Queen!

Btw, i'm so happy there's many FMV of our otp on yt already ^^ no srly, Soohyun and Yeji chemistry is justtt WOWWWW *chef kiss* the intensity in their scenes could burn my screen xD You only get this once in a lifetime, don't ruin it tvn!! I can't get enough of how obvious GT is attracted to MY xD all those stares at her lips, heart beating fast, face turning red whenever she's close, he isn't uncomfortable he just doesn't know how to react lol while on other hand keeping a certain distance to Juri kkk please give us more writer-nim!!

:please:

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, raziela said:

I rewatched episode 2 and I noticed the theme of facing your trauma comes up repeatedly. It's obviously a throwback to the first episode and the moral of The Boy Who Fed on Nightmares story; it is referenced when KT is looking for jobs and reads about the Director of OK Hospital who talks about the importance of facing your trauma to heal; when KT teaches MY the butterfly hug and she turns around and tells him a trauma should be faced head-on.  Finally, in the end of episode 2, KT accepts he has been running away and is ready to return to his childhood town and face his trauma.

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who was reminded Of Great Expectations,...felt this vibe from the animation in the first few minutes. And yes at the end of the animation when MY turns towards the camera and says “yes, mother”... I thought her mother is going to be Miss Havisham.

But I feel that MY believes she has been moulded by her mom but she is her own person. She may think she is anti social but she truly wants to help people in her own way. Which makes her quite a warm person. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

39 minutes ago, jaslinnj said:

She may think she is anti social but she truly wants to help people in her own way. Which makes her quite a warm person. 

True! Even though, even when she helps, she seems weird & cold - like during her book presentation or when she protected the daughter from the father. It is just so refreshing to see such a character, really. Her personality does not twist - yes, she helps; yes, she supports people in need; but no, she does not do it like "other" people might do it, she does it, like you said, "her own way." When, during the book presentation, she asked herself "Should I help him?", I was praying that she won't show any emotions, and the script did not disappoint. That's her way of doing absolutely everything - attacking and provoking. But it still works. And I am glad that those actions of hers don't actually change her character. I sincerely hope they won't change it till the end, with or without her falling in love with the seemingly kind MKT.

• Like 9
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

Even she lose her cool with the deer :joy:

** what a sassy deer standing his ground :D

Welcome @40somethingahjumma, @Nodame love reading your thoughts :wub:

What a character Moon Young has.... 

This is my favorite weekend drama as of this moment..The flow of the story is really good and well I love the chemistry between Seo Ye Ji and Kim Soo Hyun have. :D

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t quote images. Thanks
  • Like 11
  • Love 1