[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

On 6/23/2020 at 4:04 AM, hwonhwon_stv said:

Part 1 OST of It's OkayTo Not Be Okay currently placed at number 5 on Naver 

Psycho but okay script episode 9

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBtv-xCJBqi/?igshid=2qrgn32fonp0

I love that song by HEIZE.  It's a real grower the more you listen to it, the more you love it.

The script is so pretty!

11 hours ago, lmhpsh said:

First Impressions: It’s Okay To Not Be Okay

https://thedramacorner.com/2020/06/23/first-impressions-its-okay-to-not-be-okay/

Ohh that look was so hot!!

Thank you. That was a good review.  I agree with her gripe that the story could have worked very well without the typical childhood connection trope.

8 hours ago, sillyvivian_yo89 said:

- Kang Tae had a quite difficult life, I must say... Did it mention yet why he only works for roughly 1 year ? Or that still remains a mystery?

One thing I personally don't like so far is the directing choice of dramatically alternating up-close shots for like 5 times before ending the scene, i.e. that stabbing scene in the backstage and when he stops her from smoking... It makes the flow of the scene so awkward for me :wacko:

Sorry for cutting your post.  My understanding is Sang Tae condition gets worse during that period during the warmer period of the year when there are more butterflies around.  I think he is was afraid as the "butterflies" killed his mother and he was (unconsciously?) running away from them too but now he is ready to confront his fears by returning to their hometown.

I agree about the directing.  I enjoyed Episode 1 and there were many absolutely gorgeous shots but I also think it was a bit disjointed and confusing in places.  I hope this director and writer will be careful to balance their artistic vision without alienating the audience.  It seemed like in some scenes the director prioritised style over substance and the narrative (for example, the vomit scene added nothing and was distasteful and unnecessary IMO).  I was disappointed but not surprised when the ratings fell last Sunday as I can understand how episode 1 would have alienated some viewers expecting a more straightforward narrative.  I do think Episode 2 had a much better balance with better flow, narrative and humour whilst still maintaining some lovely stylistic touches (for example, the scene showcasing Sang Tae's joy when going to see Moon Young) so I hope the drama will capture the audience back and ratings will increase.

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Translation of this BTS in the spoiler since it's lengthy. It is cute, though I think the scenes with ST and KT were actually the sweetest, even in the BTS. KT and MY definitely have a lot of chemistry though, plus it reinforces that KSH is a pretty intense kind of actor. :wub:

Video Title: Psycho, but It’s Okay. The First Behind The Scene

Hide contents

Director: What do you have? What is it?
Caption: Kang Tae’s Pocket = Magic Pocket
Caption: (Come on out!)
Caption: First quickly going over the lines with the Director!
KT caption: Nod Nod

Caption: From the very beginning of the scene, going over their actions carefully, the two people.
KT: No, no, no. (captioned)
Director: It’s weird if you wash it off. It’s weird if you wash it off. (captioned)
Director: It’s just that I think it would be good if we could capture it flowing. (captioned)
KT: Ah, from when it’s clean? (me: meaning have the blood flow down fresh from a clean arm)
caption: Cleaning off the blood completely, Kang Tae

caption: What is Moon Young concentrating on so hard?
caption: Full of curiosity is Moon Young :)
MY caption: Grunt grunt
KT: Moon Young! Don’t waste your energy!!

KT: Let’s see how it flows… (captioned)
Caption: As soon as it’s been washed off, the blood is flowing.
Caption: Having taken away Moon Young’s knife from her hand, Kang Tae
Director: Cut! (captioned)
caption: The blood having flowed a lot more than he thought it would, Kang Tae
KT caption: Cry cry

Caption: She’s wrapping up Kang Tae’s hand, but…?
Director: Oh, sorry. (caption: Hey)
MY: The handkerchief is too short (captioned)
KT: The palm of the hand is…
Caption: Instead of the palm of the hurt hand, she wrapped the handkerchief around his wrist. K K K
Director: You have to express that you can’t give it (the knife) to her with your expression, aren’t you? (captioned)
KT: Yes. (captioned)
Caption: A scene which has to be conveyed through expression only without an action
Director: You can’t really move the knife away even a little bit or anything, huh?
KT caption: (Like this?)
Director: See you can’t do it like that.
Caption: This time, properly taking care of Kang Tae’s palm, Moon Young
Director: Yes, that’s the way.
MY caption: (toss)
MY caption: (laugh)
Caption: Having tossed the knife too hard, bursting into laughter, the two people
KT: Why am I laughing? K K K (captioned)
MY caption: (Towards her back)
MY: This is (captioned)
MY: my special service! (captioned)
Caption: (star) I received special service (star)

(New Scene)

Caption: Having come to receive Writer Ko Moon Young’s autograph, Sang Tae!
Caption: Today, I will sign autographs!
Caption: Practicing her autograph, Moon Young!
MY Caption: Cheerful cheerful
Man: Hey, you!
ST: Don’t touch my hair! Don’t touch my hair!
Caption: Sang Tae was just happy to see his favorite dinosaur. (tears)
Man: Get out! Get out!
ST: Don’t touch my hair!!
Caption: Disturbed by the unfamiliar experience, Sang Tae
ST: Don’t touch my hair! Don’t touch my hair!
Caption: Taking off his clothes to cover Sang Tae to calm him down, Kang Tae
KT: It’s okay, brother. It’s okay.
KT caption: Pat pat
KT: It’s okay. It’s okay.
Caption: While calming Sang Tae down, his emotions are rising…
Caption: Re-shooting the scene from where he is being consoling
Director: Let’s start.
Staff: Yes.
Director: Action!
KT: Brother, I’m here. It’s okay.
Director: Cut! Thank you.
Caption: As soon as he hears cut, taking care of his older brother first, Kang Tae

MY: Because of ajusshi, (captioned)
MY: my sign event was ruined. (captioned)
Man: That idiot just -  Ow!
Caption: Couldn’t grab it on the first take, NG (me: NG = no good, so need another take)

Caption: (Suc) Properly having grabbed his hair, Moon Young (cess)
Man: Hurry. Take a photo of it. Take a photo.
Caption: Smiling brightly at seeing Kang Tae, Moon Young
Caption: At the awkwardness, bursting into laughter
Director: Cut!

Caption: She smiles one more time
MY caption: Huh?
KT: What is the “huh?” for? K K K
MY: I can’t say that? (captioned)
Caption: Smiling naturally at Kang Tae, Moon Young
Director: Cut! (captioned) That’s good.
KT: Make it pretty using CG, please. (captioned)

Caption: It’s already plenty (pretty enough)?

(New Scene)

KT caption: (my hand hurts…)
KT caption: (when will it get better)
KT caption: (should I try rotating it once)
KT caption: Shake shake
Caption: (Giving up quickly)
Caption: Taking a peak at the hidden present
KT: Does it show? (captioned)
Staff: No, it doesn’t.
Caption: What is it??? Have no idea.
Caption: If (KT) is suddenly sick, then Sang Tae worries…
ST: What’s wrong?
KT: My stomach. My stomach.
ST: Your stomach?
Caption: A gift for older brother Sang Tae (present emoji)

Caption: Looking at the dinosaur book and having a happy time, the Tae Tae Brothers
KT Caption: My older brother (heart)
ST Caption: My little brother (heart)

(New Scene)
KT Caption: (camera PD) (me: As in, KT is acting like a cameraman)
KT Caption: (not here)
KT Caption: (over there)
MY: What are you doing! (captioned)
KT: Close your eyes! (captioned)
MY Caption: Ha ha ha
MY: I’m supposed to just obediently do as I’m told? (captioned)
KT Caption: (Has she closed her eyes?)
MY: What is… (captioned)
MY: this? (captioned)
KT: Butterfly Hug Method! (captioned)
KT: We show trauma patients this method
Caption: Showing Moon Young the Butterfly Hug Method
MY Caption: Like this?
MY Caption: Like this?
KT: The other way (captioned)
Caption: Ta da~

Director: Grab Kang Tae’s hands and pull him. (captioned as (1) Grabbing Kang Tae’s hands to pull him)
Director: Or grab Kang Tae’s waist and pull him. (captioned as (2) Grabbing Kang Tae’s waist to pull him.
MY: Oh, do it like that?
Caption: What does Kang Tae think?
KT: I think that…
KT: (if she grabs me by the waist), I think I would be able to resist her pulling (captioned)
KT: But if she’s going face to face with me, I think it will look good. (captioned)

MY: Like this? (captioned)
MY And then, like this? (captioned)
KT: Yes (captioned)
Director: That’s good.
Caption: (Kang Tae’s idea) Grab him by the neck to pull him close

Caption: So that Moon Young can, turn around in a more natural way, working out the movements
Director: Just drop this (me: meaning her arm)
MY: Like this?
Director: And just grab right there
KT: Then turn
Director: Doesn’t that feel more comfortable?
MY: Oh, this is really comfortable (captioned)
KT: Are you deliberately using the injured side? (captioned)
MY: No!
MY Caption: ha ha ha

KT: Take a deep breath (captioned)
MY: What are you doing (captioned)
Director: Cut!
Caption: Having said his lines earlier than Moon Young’s lines, Kang Tae.
Director: Let’s do it again.
Staff: One more time!

Caption: Showing Moon Young the Butterfly Hug Method
KT: I forgot to say my line (captioned)
Caption: Do it again!
KT: I didn’t say (my line) again!
Caption: Focusing too hard on the Butterfly Hug Method, Kang Tae. K K K
KT: I’m sorry

Caption: (As always, being a cameraman)
MY: “A trauma has to be faced head on like this” (captioned)

Caption: Cute (me: indicating both KT and MY)

Caption: Even if we start right now, it’s fine. (heart)
Caption: Every week [Saturday and Sunday) at 9 pm, let’s meet!
Director: Yes, that’s good.

Thank you so much for the subtitles:heart2:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sillyvivian_yo89 said:

Kang Tae had a quite difficult life, I must say... Did it mention yet why he only works for roughly 1 year ? Or that still remains a mystery?

The show explained that Sang Tae has recurrent nightmares about the butterflies around their mom's death anniversary thus the reason why they keep moving every year.  Knowing this, Kang Tae avoids relationships and only works as a temp. :)

Hello everyone @stroppyse @triplem @taeunfighting @nrllee  on board for this one.  I'm a little apprehensive about the PD (watched his disastrous Hyde/Jekyll before); plotting and storyline were off in that drama.  However, the same directing style and visuals work well here where we have a drama that has fairy tale and fantasy elements.  The first two episodes were very pretty. I always have liked Seo Ye Ji.  She is gorgeous here with a fantastic wardrobe!  Will be my first time watching Kim Soo-Hyun (yes, I have been on an island :D).  I have much admiration for Oh Jung-Se (his character bested even the one in his previous drama Camellia).  OK Psych hospital is indeed Doldam Hospital in RMDK, we even got doc Park aka Kim Joo Hun (Sang In - MY's publisher CEO) starring here.

Have to back read all your comments.^^

I'm curious why Jae Soo continues to follow KT/ST.  He's a sweetheart for helping Sang Tae when needed but it must be hard for him to work and live as a nomad. Also, Joo Ri apparently is the only person in this circle who never left town?  Joo Ri doesn't have the best relationship with Moon Young yet she is loving toward Ko Dae Hwan, a little more caring than just a nurse toward a patient.  Both girls may have known each other, there's an antagonizing power play at the hotel and in the elevator where Joo Ri was frustrated/broke down crying. Joo Ri knows MY's mom's history but I am not sure that's from reading the news or first hand experience.  So far, Joo Ri is shown visually plain (big contrast from MY's colorful wardrobe, perfect hair/makeup), as someone who works in the service industry (albeit heathcare) where Moon Young was born into an upper class family whose parents opted to live in a castle deep in the forest isolated from the villagers.  I also don't know if Joo Ri's portrayal of a timid quiet person is truly who she is.  Now that MY and GT have moved back home, maybe we  will get to know more about the relationship between the Ko family and the rest of the town folks.  I also want to know whether the parents chose to live in the forest is to shield Moon Young from other people for her sake or is it for their own reasons.  

In the fairytale prelude, hoping to make friends, Moon Young shared the prized dead birds that she captured with other kids... as the result, get labeled as the angel of death.  Growing up, she continues to be a lone figure, believing she can not be loved for the monster of a person that she is... a belief reinforced by her own mother.  Even Kang Tae said that she was born this way, someone without empathy and consideration for others, who operates solely on her own needs and only them alone. For that, I really like that her getting close to Kang Tae will have to via Sang Tae who has special needs of his own.  The fun parts for me will be to see how Moon Young approaches Sang Tae who is very honest and blunt in his thinking. She would be called out in an instance.  And then there's the part of learning to be considerate to others. :)

Kang Tae, Sang Tae, Moon Young are all outcasts who will help each other to understand who they are deep inside.  Kang Tae is a giver who chose to internalize the hardships in his life as a given because his priority is to care for his brother.  He doesn't contest the wrongs against him due to his considerate nature; he yearns for peace in a life that is never about him.  I can understand why Kang Tae chose to run away from the situation instead of confront it.  It's tiring.  It's a risk he can't afford to have, getting himself into trouble, knowing Sang Tae depends on him.  Kang Tae will need to realize that by standing his ground, by fighting back, he becomes stronger for both of them.  I can't wait to see KT yields the courage to stand up for himself and most importantly, live his life with others and for other reasons besides his brother. 

BTW, the black sensor bars on the people's eyes during the interview about Sang Tae's outburst at the book signing is a throwback to the movie Parasite.  There's a disconnect in understanding by the public of the special needs community. The general public's eyesight is prejudiced by their lack of sympathy and their own misconception of their behaviors and rights in situations such as this.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

I can’t seem to stop thinking about the show. It’s been a long time since I have watched a drama live. I prefer, for my own sanity to watch it once it’s ended so I can binge it... but Kim soo Hyun is my weakness, I just couldn’t resist. :D I’ve been thinking non stop about this drama and here are some of my thoughts. 

1) coming to MY parents, I think her mom is dead...maybe murdered but her influence and teachings over MY is still strong which is why I guess she said that her mom’s soul is still alive. Something happened to her dad that drove him mad enough to want to strangle his own daughter. 

2) I like the fact that each episode has a fairy tale attached to it. The 1st ep had “boy with the nightmares” and the 2nd one “girl with the red shoes”. I hope they continue this for future episodes. It’s a really nice touch and goes with the theme of MY being a children’s book author. 

3) so KT is a guy who lost his soul while growing up and MY makes him feel things which he wants to run away from. kSH is such a good actor he is shows this in subtle eye and face expressions. And MY is the girl in red shoes who would rather give up her fame to follow KT. Let’s admit it, KT was internally so happy to see her again. :wub:

4) I don’t think MY is anti social, I think she knows something about the “butterfly” that ST was also mentioning which is why she was tearing up butterflies. Cause she saved KT even when her flower count ended with “don’t save” and she again saved him at the book event. 

i am so looking forward to KT fall for MY because he is going to resist it and deny it but will finally run towards her in the end. again. :wub:

• Like 7

The style they used in the first two episodes is a bit unfamiliar, but I think it works well with the plot. I know some people who suffer from mental illnesses who have watched the first two episodes. All of them agreed that the portrayal was on point. To some extent, it may make the viewers uncomfortable. However, that reaction is expected because these characters are rarely portrayed in modern shows. In almost all the medical dramas I've watched, people diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder are rarely portrayed with empathy. We don't see the circumstances that brought them to where they are or how they struggle with it. We rarely get to see the world from the perspective of a person with autism spectrum disorder. Then, this show also has Kang-Tae, who seems to be struggling with PTSD.

A lot of the scenes are exaggerated, but it really works well with the genre that they're going for. I hope this drama will get more love, especially from Korean fans. I hope It's Okay To Not Be Okay Will portray mental illnesses for what they are -- no sugarcoating of anything. It's only through this way that people will become more aware and understanding.

• Like 9

Sooo guys, at the starting of the episode when that animated character which I believe is MY offers dead birds? (i guess) to her friends, they all run away and the shadow of death follows her until she saves Kang Tae who starts following her. After the butterfly tearing part, he again runs away from her and the shadow continues to follow her again. And I also noticed how the first time KT ran away was after witnessing MY ripping off butterflies. After that incident, he kept on running and running without facing his trauma. Their childhood connection made so much sense that now KT is here with MY, the shadow of death might stop following her and KT will also to able to face his trauma (the butterfly incident with MY) which made him run away without stopping till now. In the past, MY rejected KT and KT ran away from MY and now MY is actually interested (or obsessed) with KT and since KT also decided to stop running away, it might be like the continuation of their tragic past and them finding solace in each other!!! 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

Hello Everyone!

Just caught one episode and intrigued! KSH is back and with a bang!

Def a lot to process and I need to go back and read the prior pages to catch up! 

@stroppyse omg great to see you here! Big thanks for translating the BTS. It was lengthy and time consuming! Forever grateful!:Megathanks:

Need to sleep as it’s 3am but will catch ep 2 tomorrow. So good!

• Like 12

After hospital playlist end, I’m on drama slump there no drama that excited me up. These days I prefer watching variety show or rewatching hospital playlist all over again. I know kim soo hyun drama is airing this month, but i keep my expectation low. But one things for sure that I get from promo is kim soo hyun dan seo ye ji look so good together. Their beauty is all out of the world.  The last kim soo hyun drama that I watch is my love from another star where in there he always wearing a suit, so it’s kind refreshing seeing kim soo hyun in casual outifit.

Save me is the only seo ye ji drama that I have watch. Her acting is good, but it her voice that surprised me a lot. Her voice so good, her visual is dazzling, her style is topnotch. I can’t focus thorough watching its first episode, because their beauty distract me when reading subtitle LoL. I need rewatching first episode to understand the story and what truly happened.

I love the visual of this drama right from the start. The tim burton’ style animation at the beginning set the tone of drama, it feel little bit eerie for me. I wonder who did the music scoring for this drama, because it mesh well with the visual.  Isn’t the scene when patiet throwing up at kim soo hyun is so genius? I laughing so hard. Somehow it remind me of hwasin (jealousy incarnate) first check for breast cancer.

For me the story is all of the place, I’m still warming up for the story. For now the strong reason for me to follow this drama is the character and chemistry between kim soo hyun and seo ye ji. Seriously, whenever they appear together it just amazing. The sexual tension between time is urrghhhh. The best.

• Like 18

53 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

#박규영 Park Gyu Young as Nam Joo Ri

Thanks! I really want to know more about Joo Ri. She seems sweet and relatively normal compared to everyone else but I'm sure she has her secrets too. Something about the interaction with MY at the hotel was very unsettling.

5 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I'm curious why Jae Soo continues to follow KT/ST.  He's a sweetheart for helping Sang Tae when needed but it must be hard for him to work and live as a nomad. Also, Joo Ri apparently is the only person in this circle who never left town?  Joo Ri doesn't have the best relationship with Moon Young yet she is loving toward Ko Dae Hwan, a little more caring than just a nurse toward a patient.  Both girls may have known each other, there's an antagonizing power play at the hotel and in the elevator where Joo Ri was frustrated/broke down crying. Joo Ri knows MY's mom's history but I am not sure that's from reading the news or first hand experience.  So far, Joo Ri is shown visually plain (big contrast from MY's colorful wardrobe, perfect hair/makeup), as someone who works in the service industry (albeit heathcare)

I'm also curious where Jae Soo fits in and how and why he ended up wandering around with them. He didn't run away at the same time as the brothers so I wonder how they ended up reconnecting. Will he return to their hometown too?

• Like 9

Just started tuning in to the first episode and I really like the production style of this drama. I like how it weaves in and out of the children's book story and the animations are really a nice and unexpected touch. A for effort! I was partially wishing the animations to be longer even hahaha. And the styling of some of the scenes are great too.

Moon Young's character seems interesting to me. Especially when she was getting strangled, her flashback linked to her backstory intrigues me. And how she left a message in her book for the little girl. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, raziela said:

Thanks! I really want to know more about Joo Ri. She seems sweet and relatively normal compared to everyone else but I'm sure she has her secrets too. Something about the interaction with MY at the hotel was very unsettling.

I'm not sure whether you have seen her character's description before.  The original site is HERE.  You can also check the other characters too.  

I'm also curious where Jae Soo fits in and how and why he ended up wandering around with them. He didn't run away at the same time as the brothers so I wonder how they ended up reconnecting. Will he return to their hometown too?

Yes, I'm also looking forward to know the beginning of their relationship.  It is interesting to have a good friend, a really a good friend to look after each other.

The real friends of KSH

• Like 11
  • Love 1