[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

Another great episode! 

So they met when they were kids but she was so cruel to him that he ran away from her. Then his mother died so he ran again with his older brother to hide so they wouldnt be trapped in foster care i guess. He kept on running his entire life, how sad. In this episode he went back to his childhood village and she followed him. She seems to already be obsessed! 

I gotta give major props to the writer for the way they are showing his brother's condition. Autism is a very complex  topic and easy to ruin in a script. So far i'm really liking the way they are adressing it especially when the brother was fascinated with the other child's costume and approached the family and then was treated like a criminal. This is sadly what happens to a lot of autistic people all around the world, sometimes they end up being shot by police! Many people in society lack the patience and sympathy to interact with autists.

Cant wait for the next episode, the preview looks good!

• Like 13

This drama is so good so far

Their chemistry is SO sexual to me idk why. It's in the eyes. I can't stress how gorgeous the cinematography is. The transitions are so cool. I love how she's the aggressive one and he's the doe eyed innocent one. Usually it's the other way around. She's such a baddie and I love it. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I'm still very curious about their childhood scenes, if the children really are them, and what actually transpired between them. I have to admit that watching the little girl pull the butterfly apart gave me the chills. I can understand why the little boy ran away, if the little girl really was pulling apart the butterfly as the scenes seem to indicate, especially with all the butterflies that were on the ground helplessly trying to flap one wing.

There’s a parallel in this with the initial animated story.  The little girl is fishing.  She catches a few fish before she hooks the boy from the river and saves him. 

2405-C3-DB-F2-B1-48-D8-BFE1-FBCA97890490

There’s this scene from KT’s flashback (is that KT or ST in the water?  Or someone else?)  Does the girl save him?  We’re not shown.  

AEF7-CE5-C-13-DB-4-DCD-9541-940-EF69-BEC

But the story has parallels.  Both boys end up following the girl.  Enamoured by her.

373-C2120-3-C45-4-E83-81-DD-A218-F3-FCB0

Spoiler

She’s like a princess in a tower.  Remote.  Unattainable.  Just like MY.

9-D1564-BA-1-A44-4-BF0-9-D28-3-BCAF9-B18

The boy in the story makes a promise to always be by her side and never run away

F42-E3900-5-C28-42-F9-B134-A5-F6-EE3-E5-

Until the butterfly incident

600142-F2-9881-4481-936-E-C7-E29-DA64-FF

That’s what happens to ST in his dream (nightmares).  Every year around this time.  When the moon is full. Just like the story.  The boy runs away.

9-A2-A1-AD2-B18-E-491-C-9-B96-E66863-E1-

61-F944-F4-47-CD-473-F-B9-E5-BFDB5-B4763

As for butterflies.  It alludes to the concept of pain.  Pain is actually a complex combination of both the sensory and emotional experience.  It’s more than the stimulation of nerves.  That’s why people have “phantom pain”.  They feel the pain even if there is actual physical cause or stimulus.  Pain is also subjective. Our perceptions and past experiences influences our response to unpleasant stimuli.    Coming back to butterflies.  They have no nociceptors (pain receptors that mammals have).  So entomologists therefore deduce that they “feel no pain”.  (https://butterfly-fun-facts.com/do-butterflies-feel-pain/).  So whilst ripping the wings off butterflies would look horrible and painful.  They don’t actually “feel pain”.

MY self harms.  She cuts herself.  That’s why all the staff hide their sharp objects when she arrives at the office.  That plus the fact that they don’t know if she will turn it on others.  People with antisocial personality disorder don’t have empathy.  So they will often harm others just to see what pain looks like.  It’s like a morbid fascination they have.  Because pain is not just the sensory stimulus but your response to it.  The fact that these people often experience the sensory stimuli but cannot link it with an appropriate emotional response is where the problem lies.  So that may be why the girl in the story rips the butterfly wings.  They don’t feel the pain.  It resonates with her.  She cuts herself but she can’t associate that stimulus with any emotional response.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 10

4 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

Anybody know when OST would be released??

Actually I've posted it on the earlier page  HERE

I can see that this will be another hot thread ...

13.7 K Views for now and it's going to go up..

Credit to the owner

• Like 7

I am curious about Go Moon Young's feelings towards Kang Tae. Why is she so obsessed with him?  What exactly does she want from him?

I just want to give big claps for Oh Jung Se's portrayal of Moon Sung Tae. He is absolutely excellent in this role.  The sibling relationship between the brothers is so heartwarming and heartbreaking too because as @JenL mentioned previously being a caregiver- especially a sole caregiver-is very hard and draining.  We see that in Kang Sung Tae who doesn't really seem to have any hopes or aspirations beyond caring for his brother and surviving day to day.

So it looks like the "butterflies" Moon Sang Tae fears are related to the killing of his mother.  I think this return to their hometown and Moon Kang Tae no longer "running away" will also be about finding out what happened to their mother.

13 hours ago, hwonhwon_stv said:

Butterfly is an ancient symbol of transformation.

Mental health Butterfly

That's why Moon Kang Tae is the comfort zone of Go Moon Young

Thank you. i had never heard of the butterfly hug before. It gives the poster a whole new meaning and the writer clearly did her research.

5 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

I’m glad she helped him , it’s sad to see all these people not helping ,Ok he scared the child but it’s not acceptable to hurt him the way the dad did . Taking advantage of the fact that disabled  guy probably won't hit him back. It's cheap and nasty to attack someone in general, let alone someone who will just stand and take it.

I was so happy she did that even if it did potentially ruin her career :lol::lol::lol: This was the scene that made me warm to her character.  She was interesting, entertaining and slightly scary:phew: to watch in the previous episode but I don't know if I necessarily liked her.  However, I feel in this episode between this scene where she helped the brothers and the scenes before, after and-of course-during the confrontation with the nasty book critic it made me start to actually care about the character. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Just finished the 2nd episode and Wow!

as @nrllee pointed out it seems their back story is following the introduction fairy-tale.  In the past Moon Young saved him, and Kang Tae was enamored with her and promised to never run away, but broke the promise after the butterflies.  Perhaps that's part of what haunts him, that even though he was repulsed by what he saw, he should've stayed with Moon Young and tried to help her back then. 

There is alot of foreshadowing to future heartache, and you know at some point in Moon Youngs healing she is going to have a major breakdown, and just thinking that at some point she'll be screaming through tears at him, Why did you leave me? You promised you'd never run away! is heart wrenching.

Damn, worrying about future break ups just 2 episodes in .... Yes, this drama is that good!

:blush:

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

13 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

didn't catch that. When did it show that MY self-harmed herself?

Didn’t she cut herself with the steak knife without a second thought at the restaurant?

• Like 5

What is making me uncomfortable is that the official synopsis has given KMY the clinical diagnosis that she has antisocial personality disorder (ASPD). Has the show already said that? I have been doing some reading about this disorder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

https://www.everydayhealth.com/antisocial-personality-disorder/treatment/

Perhaps this show wants to make the point that  there is a spectrum of mental problems, and we are all on a spectrum of normalcy. I can understand that. However, realistically, from a medical point of view, it seems like this kind of personality disorder (ASPD) is very difficult to treat. People with this disorder often have other mental illnesses. They cannot empathise or feel pain. In relationships, they are selfish, abusive and manipulative, and are unable to feel remorse. It is all about them. I hope that it turns out what she has is just a behavioural problem/ emotional issues caused by her parents that she can outgrow, and not a clinical problem. ASPD is not like schizophrenia that you can take drugs for. (cf, the show "Its Okay, that's Love")

KT is such a lovely person and already burdened with having to take care of his (very lovely!) brother. We can talk about love conquering all in a kdrama, but a long term relationship with someone with a personality disorder is not what I would wish for a friend. It is very difficult.  Marriage is hard enough even with someone who is "normal".

• Like 11
  • Insightful 2

57 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I totally agree that OJS is doing a fantastic job of portraying ST, and that his relationship with KT is both heart-warming and heart-breaking. I perhaps think you meant that it's Kang Tae who only focuses on taking care of his brother Sang Tae and trying to survive each day? Otherwise, I'm not sure who Kang Sung Tae is?

Sorry! Yes I meant to write Kang Tae.  Somehow I ended up amalgamating both brother's names:flushed:

57 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I definitely think that the butterflies that ST is afraid of are somehow associated with their mother's murder as well. I'm also curious as to how ST's butterflies might be related to the butterflies in KT's memories. Since I'm not entirely sure that MY is the little girl in KT's memories, I'm not sure if there is a memory of butterflies in MY's memories as yet. Whatever it is, butterflies is a major theme in this drama.

Butterflies are definitely a major theme: the butterflies ST fears, the butterflies being torn in half in KT's memories, butterfly hug

That's an interesting idea if the little girl in his memories isn't MY.  I would really like that actually rather than the usual childhood trope.  So far this drama isn't following the typical Kdrama tropes so that would be a nice deviation from the norm.  Imagine if butterfly wing ripping girl turned out to be the sweet and "normal" Ju Ri instead!:lol:

42 minutes ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

What is making me uncomfortable is that the official synopsis has given KMY the clinical diagnosis that she has antisocial personality disorder (ASPD). Has the show already said that? I have been doing some reading about this disorder.

It mentions it in the synopsis and the gross book reviewer says this too but I wonder if it could a case of misdiagnosis or perhaps a label her parents forced on her.  From her reaction to her parents and the fairytale story at the start where the girl was called her monster and that nobody would want to stay by her side it sounds like the mother may have been mentally and emotionally abusive.  The creepy reviewer seems to have known MY's mother so perhaps her mother told him her daughter had antisocial personality disorder but I wonder if she was ever properly diagnosed. So maybe it became something like a self-fulfilling prophecy in that she was told by her own mother that she was crazy, bad, evil, unloveable, something was wrong with her, a monster so she behaves accordingly. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

The little girl never gave up on those red shoes. In the end, the executioner had to cut off her feet. But the two feet that got cut off still continued to dance in those red shoes. Some things can't be torn apart no matter how hard you try to do so.

That is why obsession is noble and beautiful.

I have finally found my red shoes.

She called it for what it is. She is just obsessed with him atm. No better word for it.

:naughty::heart:

aaf3cc6aa4b1a96570855c16c048989241d33deb

Creds. Tumblr (@mufalo)

I mean...let's be honest. I think we're all slightly obsessed with both of them atm!

Can you blame us though??

c501dde7008c3cb75ffef73cfa403d58d28450336472550795eae40728313d38b5230c8f6211799c

Creds. Tumblr (@junghaesin)

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I am loving this drama so far!!! The cinematography, scene transitions, storyline, ost, and characters are intriguing! I cant wait for the upcoming episodes! <3 

I took a look at the reported ratings on wiki, and it looks like the ratings dropped a little bit, which is really unfortunate and surprising to me honestly. Does anyone know how the audience in South Korea are reacting to this drama/the aired episodes?

• Like 8