[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

1 minute ago, starwater0 said:

Hi, just sharing my experience with the autism spectrum. They use that term because every person who is diagnosed with it can differ  with how the condition affects them. There are some people who have high-functioning autism and they are able to live their life normally. There could also be those who have low-functioning autism. These people often have trouble speaking or are even non-verbal, their cognition is also not the best (so something like sign language would be difficult for them). There are also people who fall in between those two ranges, so it all depends. Mostly that's why they use the word  "spectrum" because a person can fall anywhere within the ranges depending on their capabilities. 

I'm not a psychologist but from what they've shown with Sang-Tae he seems to be more towards the high-level autism range. He's able to live a normal life with few limitations (such as his nightmare triggers which leads to him having breakdowns). He was even about to ride the bus by himself to get to Kang-Tae's hospital. Hopefully this helped clear up what the autism spectrum is...:)

Hey, @starwater0, I absolutely agree and this is what I had in mind with this post. The thing is that I did not want to make assumptions that early on. I am not psychologist either (for better or for worse :D ) but I have some experience. Mainly that I know people with autism, I am trying to contribute to that community, etc. I even started writing a book, where one of the main characters has autism, which led me to some extensive research. :D That's why I said it'd be super interesting to see Sang-Tae's development in the series. (Which, in turn, could play important role in the plot itself.) And it is good that the drama does not play with his condition in the wrong or even humoristic way. Autism is not a sickness either, it is a condition, and it is important to be recognised as such. 

I was super melted with KSH's smile at the brother who though MKT would be angry at him. This is what I want to see and this is how different people could be easily perceived and accepted by the harsh society. :) 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

I absolutely loved the first episode! 

The directing is unique and I specially liked how they incorporated the animated scenes into the drama. It's quite different from the usual dramas.

I have been on Hopsital playlist withdrawal and I think this drama will pull me soon out of it.

The chemistry between the leads is crackling, I can feel it through the screen. 

KSH is brilliant as always, I never doubted his ability for a moment.

SYJ' only work that I saw was "Lawless lawyer", and I did develop a girl crush on her. Her voice is so unique and soothing to me. I loved the last bit of narration she did at the end. 

OJS, the man deserves all the praise! He has always given his 110% for all the roles!

The casting director needs a pat on the back for job well done! 

I am really looking forward to the second episode, this drama is going to be giant hit for TvN! 

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Thanks @TiNaDo and @starwater0 for your insights into the condition. I wanted to make sure I was using the right term to describe Moon Sang Tae . I don’t understand enough about mental health & conditions , and since it is the basic premise to this show , I want to make sure I don’t offend anyone. I appreciate how good Oh Sung Je was in playing him last night . 
He indeed  is such a versatile actor. 

The OTP have this very sexy natural chemistry together & is a visual feast for my eyes.  I do look forward to more of their interactions. In some ways Moon Young , while being all prickly is a lot more aware of her own pain & is dealing with it through her  stories . Kang Tae , while seemingly very calm brushes aside his own pain. His best friend , Jae Soo made a good point about him needing to be a lot more emotional & less accepting of the bullying thrown at him.  

@Ameera Ali Seo Ye Ji  has always been my girl crush since Save Me . It’s that sexy voice of hers . And she’s able to bring this aura to Moon Young’s character. Oh I love her wardrobe! 

8 minutes ago, TiNaDo said:

Hey, @starwater0, I absolutely agree and this is what I had in mind with this post. The thing is that I did not want to make assumptions that early on. I am not psychologist either (for better or for worse :D ) but I have some experience. Mainly that I know people with autism, I am trying to contribute to that community, etc. I even started writing a book, where one of the main characters has autism, which led me to some extensive research. :D That's why I said it'd be super interesting to see Sang-Tae's development in the series. (Which, in turn, could play important role in the plot itself.) And it is good that the drama does not play with his condition in the wrong or even humoristic way. Autism is not a sickness either, it is a condition, and it is important to be recognised as such. 

I was super melted with KSH's smile at the brother who though MKT would be angry at him. This is what I want to see and this is how different people could be easily perceived and accepted by the harsh society. :) 

That's awesome!!! I'm so glad more and more people are aware about this. Me too, I love the way the drama is portraying ST, his mannerism are spot on. I have family members who are on the spectrum and I have also worked with children who are diagnosed with autism so this hits close to the heart. Oh Jungse is doing a great job with this character. :wub:

• Like 9
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, PeVe said:

@Alice Wonderland  thank you so much!. What you mean "something to discuss"? Well - it is very intriguing! I don't watch this drama and but I will look at :)

The book literature that being the part of the main story here. That earns some points to discuss more. But I might drop some notes of this later on when I have more free time to do so. Oh yes... please do. If you like psychological theme then this one must not be missed. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

37 minutes ago, starwater0 said:

I'm not a psychologist but from what they've shown with Sang-Tae he seems to be more towards the high-level autism range. He's able to live a normal life with few limitations

Yup.  He’s high functioning.  Autistic people love their routines.  They find security and solace in a regimental world.  They get very anxious (and suffer melt downs) when things don’t go “according to plan”.  It is very hard on the primary carer.  Their life is often very much dictated by the routines of their autistic charge. It’s emotionally exhausting.  It’s an invisible cage.  People with autism can’t pick up social cues.  Hence the cards in his room showing him what people’s faces look like when they are angry, or sad, or happy etc.  Problem is, when you teach them to read people like that, they will literally take it at “face value”.  SangTae looked through the glass window in the door and said his brother is angry.  But he would have no idea why he is angry.  He has no ability to read the context of the situation.  He thinks his brother is angry because he got in trouble.  But his brother is actually angry with the boss who fired him...and the unfairness of the circumstances.  The fact that he’s trying his best to get his brother to be accepted into a “normal world” setting, but the world is unkind.  It is unforgiving.  

SangTae’s meltdown when he found out that the signature was fake?  Totally expected.  His repetition of “lying is bad” is what you would teach.  Again, autistic people have no concept that at times it is necessary to tell a white lie.  To them, lying is bad period.  There is no time where it is ever right.  You cannot explain expediency to them.  I love how the PD then put his meltdown in the background whilst the Manager texted his apology.  It’s caricatured and almost facetious given the background of the true reality of MKT’s difficult life of caring for his brother with special needs.  He has bigger things to worry about than a cut on his hand.  Suing GMY is the last thing on his mind.  

The Boy Who Fed On Nightmares.  It’s not about not having the nightmares.  It’s only against the backdrop of nightmares that you can have good dreams.  It’s relative.  You can’t expect to have happiness, unless you know what it is to be unhappy.

It’s a great start and I love how they seem to have delicately balanced mental issues without overstating the obvious or glossing over it glibly.  And using fairytales imbues a fantasy element  (Alice in Wonderland - as per the sign in the stage during the knife stab).  It delivers a message without being overly hampered by the doldrums of reality.

As an aside, the OK hospital looks like it’s the set for Dr Romantic?  Doldam? :lol:

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 2

Woooooooow guys the first episode was perfect! Every minute of it is perfect and perfectlyy told :bawling::heart: I instanly looooved the all the characters and can I have moon young's driving skill?

I am so excited for tonight's episode! I want to see more of my OTP :Twerkdatbutt: wow just wooooow me is speechless guys!!

OMG I WANT TO BUY ALL OF MOON YOUNG'S STORYBOOOOK :happyshakes:

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

Do manajoeeee! Do Min Jun!! 

Well KSH came back and so far, I think I'll keep on watching. SYJ looks good together with him. Both looks cute... There are some parts that I was thinking "is it a supernatural drama?". But, it goes back to reality. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, starwater0 said:

That's awesome!!! I'm so glad more and more people are aware about this. Me too, I love the way the drama is portraying ST, his mannerism are spot on. I have family members who are on the spectrum and I have also worked with children who are diagnosed with autism so this hits close to the heart. Oh Jungse is doing a great job with this character. :wub:

oh jung se is an amazing actor! he should prepare another speech cos this role will surely get him another best supporting actor award in baeksang. 

4 hours ago, blademan said:

BRUH.

:love::love:

Creds. Tumblr (@junghaesin)

SHE'S SO HOT, GOD IS CLEARLY PLAYING FAVORITES HERE!!!!

1 hour ago, nrllee said:
Spoiler

Yup.  He’s high functioning.  Autistic people love their routines.  They find security and solace in a regimental world.  They get very anxious (and suffer melt downs) when things don’t go “according to plan”.  It is very hard on the primary carer.  Their life is often very much dictated by the routines of their autistic charge. It’s emotionally exhausting.  It’s an invisible cage.  People with autism can’t pick up social cues.  Hence the cards in his room showing him what people’s faces look like when they are angry, or sad, or happy etc.  Problem is, when you teach them to read people like that, they will literally take it at “face value”.  SangTae looked through the glass window in the door and said his brother is angry.  But he would have no idea why he is angry.  He has no ability to read the context of the situation.  He thinks his brother is angry because he got in trouble.  But his brother is actually angry with the boss who fired him...and the unfairness of the circumstances.  The fact that he’s trying his best to get his brother to be accepted into a “normal world” setting, but the world is unkind.  It is unforgiving.  

SangTae’s meltdown when he found out that the signature was fake?  Totally expected.  His repetition of “lying is bad” is what you would teach.  Again, autistic people have no concept that at times it is necessary to tell a white lie.  To them, lying is bad period.  There is no time where it is ever right.  You cannot explain expediency to them.  I love how the PD then put his meltdown in the background whilst the Manager texted his apology.  It’s caricatured and almost facetious given the background of the true reality of MKT’s difficult life of caring for his brother with special needs.  He has bigger things to worry about than a cut on his hand.  Suing GMY is the last thing on his mind.  

The Boy Who Fed On Nightmares.  It’s not about not having the nightmares.  It’s only against the backdrop of nightmares that you can have good dreams.  It’s relative.  You can’t expect to have happiness, unless you know what it is to be unhappy.

It’s a great start and I love how they seem to have delicately balanced mental issues without overstating the obvious or glossing over it glibly.  And using fairytales imbues a fantasy element  (Alice in Wonderland - as per the sign in the stage during the knife stab).  It delivers a message without being overly hampered by the doldrums of reality.

As an aside, the OK hospital looks like it’s the set for Dr Romantic?  Doldam? :lol:

This was super insightful, thank you for breaking down his scenes for us! I'm glad they're being respectful towards dealing with Sang Tae's character. May I ask for your permission if I could post this review on twitter? I'll give credits, tyyyyy <3

And yes, the hospital is doldam's from dr romantic haha! I was so excited when I realized!

Edited by triplem
Merged consecutive posts
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

@nrllee , thank you so, so much for the analysis. So refreshing to see drama that makes the viewers see & actually think about autism; and so refereshing to see people actually do that. Thanks once again!

As for the "lying is bad" repetition - yes, absolutely, the distinction between the lies is hard for autistic people. The same with sarcasm, irony, even many jokes. But here the scenario was super on point (not to mention, the acting), as it showed this concept and also, because it showed something which is also distinctive for autistic people - constant repetition. We saw it also when ST learned about his favourite author being at MKT's hospital - repetitions and details. Details are also incredibly important and also subtly yet masterfully noted in the first episode. How ST has remembered the way to the hospital, with all its additions. This makes me think that ST might be with an AS (Asperger Syndrome) - the so-called "little professors' syndrome," which is, I believe, in the mild spectrum. He had some very structured and logical thinking ("I am 34, people say I look older" & etc), he is obsessed with the books, which, we can see from MKT's reaction upon reading them, are not precisely children-like but are way more thought-provoking and sophisticated. All in all, I am super glad we have ST's character, really.

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

I wouldn't mind sacrificing my so annoying sister for a brother like Kang Tae! :exercice:

48 minutes ago, yejibae said:

oh jung se is an amazing actor! he should prepare another speech cos this role will surely get him another best supporting actor award in baeksang. 

I instantly looooved his character :bawling: well, all the characters!

I loooved how perfectly written they were and you can even see it in the first episode! I want to see more of them and Moon Young's team/squad is very funny. 

This series is perfect :fingerheartx: I love how dark and mysterious it was yet the comedy is there!!! 

Mental Illness is a serious discussion and I hope people who watched this will know and understand how people with storms in their minds can't fathomed and say what they've been too and what's going on with their minds.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Whoa! What an intense first episode! The opening sequence is really unique and beautiful. I have so many questions after this episode. I wonder why exactly our heroine's mother called her a monster? Did the father really try to kill Moon Young and that's why she became the person she is now? It looks like our main characters are somehow connected. And what exactly is going on with those butterflies? Why Sang Tae is so afraid of them? Is it somehow connected with Moon Young and their childhood? Kang Tae clearly knew Moon Young when they were children. 

Moon Young is a very interesting character. She is dangerous and vulnerable at the same time. Seo Ye Ji is fantastic. Looking forward to the episode 2 :) 

• Like 12
  • Love 2

I think this might be one of the best first episodes I’ve seen in a kdrama thus far. All of the characters are interesting and like-able and it makes you excited to find out their backstories and what caused them to be the way they are. I think I’m most excited to find out about GMY’s mom cause if her dad (probably) tried to choke her to death and his picture is only folded over while the mom’s is burned she must have been much worse. I also hope they keep on showing new fairy tales cause I really enjoyed the one in the first episode. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3