Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
0ly40

[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

ST feeding MY scene really resonated and had me tearing up throughout.

I think there are a few reasons it move me so much.

--It was the first time MY fully embraced her pain.  It was the first time she unrestrained acknowledge someone else's pain. It was the first time she took intellectual and emotional responsibility for the pain "she" cause.  Of course she didn't cause the pain, but she feels as if she brought destruction to ST and GT.

--I think becoming human, especially before formal education, is a process of apprenticeship. Children replicate the behavior they see and they treat others as they have been treated. So a child will pat someone in pain, because they have had someone pat them when they were in pain.  ST soothed MY with love because that is how he was soothed.  ST may not learn a lot of complicated things, but the things he learns, he learns well and he commits to them.

-- I may be wrong, but I don't think ST will have an issue with MY because MY's mother killed his mother.  1) Because I don't think he blames people for the action of others. 3) MY is now his younger sister, family.He will love and protect family.  He will protect her from her mother.

One of the things that three member family of choice have in common, is a fierce commitment to protect their family. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, mademoisellesia said:

Or she's a Phoenix like your DP @cenching

1 hour ago, cenching said:

Can you imagine the promotional lines??

Cracked skull? No problem

Bloated from too much reservoir exposure?? Easy

Aging? You are kidding, right...

Murderous husband?? WinkWink

Anti Social daughter? Hahaha

We guarantee no one, we repeat NO ONE can recognize you. Not even your closest family and friends. YES, WE ARE THAT GOOD!!

Hahaha, you guys are making me LMAO. If Nurse Park is indeed Mother since 1% of me still questions how she even survived too 

:whytho: 

then I will even say that plastic surgery as the PPL outdid the Subway PPL of many dramas 

:Twerkdatbutt:

:P

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Rickroll'D 1

@floweroad Appreciate your acknowledgment of me and your detailed comments.

Re: your comment about fairy tales.

It is often forgotten that fairy tales themselves are grim, bleak tales. They are full of vivid representations of evil and the journey for the protagonists are fraught with hardships and trials. The celebration or happiness only comes at the end of the journey, after a hard fight has been won. Fairy tales acknowledge quite realistically that there is a world out there that is broken and fallen. Things aren't what they should be and people suffer as a result.

As everyone knows, I am of the view that It's Okay not to be Okay follows the fairytale template to a T. Whether we think it's Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella... happiness is not handed to the lead characters on a silver platter. Fairy tales acknowledge that life is very very hard for most. External systemic evil is real (jealous step-mothers, bad witches or neglectful fathers). There are obstacles along the way both from within (fear, overconfidence, resentment, prejudice etc) and without. The goal in all of these stories is not happiness but self-mastery and the defeat of evil. To overcome and become. Happiness is really a by-product.

Beauty and the Beast exemplifies all of this superbly. At least in the version that I grew up with. ;) Although IMO the Disney version is pretty good as well. Sure there's an external force that threatens to pull them apart but in actual fact the most crucial part of the battle is the one within. Beauty must fall for the Beast... warts and all and stay steadfast. Even if it's merely transactional at the start. It's not an easy place for her to get to but she gets to it eventually through interacting and looking past the surface and initial impressions. There's a lesson there for everyone but the primary lesson, I believe, starts in the heart and mind of Beauty. As for the Beast his transformation comes when he falls for Beauty and she for him. When he's finally able to let her go and put her needs ahead of his own. The Shrek story plays around with that but the same underlying assumptions are at play. You don't "find" your ideal mate. You "become" the ideal mate for the one in front of you. You grow together. You change each other. But all of that requires effort, sacrifice etc etc. Love is the element that makes it all less onerous. The obstacles are there... as it were... to help you define happiness in a more robust, rigorous way. So fairy tales aren't as wishy washy as we think they are.

Of course you can choose not to look at fairy tales that way. ;) I think we tell them to kids because we want them to have some measure of hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel. There's a reason why in every culture we have our folk tales and our fairy tales. It's not because we believe in fairies per se but it's because we live in perpetual hope that good will somehow triumph over evil. In Mun-yeong's fairy tales, there are no happy endings up to this point because she was someone who was robbed of hope time and time again. That's why when Gang-tae says to her "I hope this time it's a happy ending", she says, "I hope so too".

I think most of you know the quote attributed to GK Chesterton but it bears repeating...

“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.”

Chesterton also wrote a fascinating essay on fairy tales and their purpose. It's not very long and worth reading.

http://www.online-literature.com/chesterton/all-things-considered/31/

As many of us have said here for GT and MY to have their happy ending they have to put the past behind them. It was never going to be easy but GT has already taken the necessary steps in the right direction. Yes, he did falter at the start and stumble along the way. Of course he's a work-in-progress and he can't be blamed entirely for being leery of MY at the start. But he was quickly able to recognize a kindred spirit in her so now I think, the ball is in her court to allow herself to have hope that she can transcend her parents' dark legacy. My belief is if she walks away from Gang-tae and Sang-tae, her mother... her Maleficent figure... will have won. Do Hui-jae whether dead or alive would have achieved her goal of holding her daughter captive for the rest of her life. For everyone's sake but mostly for her own, I hope that MY has the insight... and courage... to stay with her new family... not necessarily because she "deserves" it but because she needs to escape the imprisoning tower and find healing for her wounds.

• Like 10
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 3

On 8/3/2020 at 4:56 AM, mademoisellesia said:

I agree with you on her behaviour pattern being inconsistent. I'm not sure about the long hair. She may have decided she had to part ways with it and change of plan for survival. I'm still waiting to see what part Park Ok Ran plays in. Is she only a puppet (and has she been killed by Head Nurse that's why Head Nurse knows she's not coming back?) or she's the real mother and she tells Head Nurse all the details whereas Head Nurse is a Wannabe/saesang fan of the writer.

High five @mademoisellesia ! I'm also convinced that the Head Nurse killed her, after she fully used her to harm MY. 

Maybe Park OH-Ran was just as the hospital saw her, someone who wanted to act again, and the Head Nurse gave her that opportunity. These papers that were found in that closet, could even be her "script", written by the Head Nurse...

Quote from GT, ep 13: "I didn't find a blank notepad withe the same design anywhere which means she didn't write these. She probably received them from someone."  

That fits..

• Like 3

another BTS of ep 11-12, but still no kiss scene BTS

no ep 13-14 BTS uploaded yet

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cenching said:

Can you imagine the promotional lines??

We guarantee no one, we repeat NO ONE can recognize you. Not even your closest family and friends. YES, WE ARE THAT GOOD!!

Before I couldn't attach this, but now I can... I think this image goes well with your promotional lines.

72f858d3ly1ghdw3ubx2wj20l90e80tl.jpg

• LOL 4

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Not Me said:

another BTS of ep 11-12, but still no kiss scene BTS...

no ep 13-14 BTS uploaded yet

not available in my country TT

Edited by MinLyn
Please do not quote images, gifs (including reaction gifs) and videos in your posts. Thank you.

11 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Just wanted to add that Jae Soo is so underrated, like the guy needs love too. Love Seung Jae for her snappy comebacks. Is she crushing on Sang Tae LoL?    

I feel that Jae Su and Sang In are two very precious characters that may be overlooked by the viewers. Sure that they added the humorous effect early on, us laughing at JS for his inability to get the love from ST, or being frustrated at SI for thinking that he only cared about his business and making money from MY's books, but as we dwell deeper into the story, we start to understand why both JS and SI have been with KT-ST and MY for so so long, to the extent of leaving whichever city they were staying at and even putting their business aside to be with their friends. 

Jae Su and Sang In both have a lot of things in common in that they have known KT-ST and MY for at least 10 years, respectively. These two have stuck through thick and thin with the main leads, been there for them and supported them no matter that. In a way, KT himself was never really alone because he had JS being there for him besides ST, and MY was also never really alone because she had SI being there for her. 

KT and MY, they each have someone trustworthy there for them physically. The only thing that I felt JS and SI lacked was the ability to provide that emotional support that KT and MY yearned for, or at least they tried but perhaps it wasn't enough or didn't have the power to move their hearts like how KT and MY did for each other? I feel like romance did have a pretty important stance in KT's and MY's relationship and their personal development, and JS and SI weren't the right people to provide that. 

A few days ago I passed by an instagram post that said s/he really envies KT and MY for having such loyal and understanding friends like JS and SI, it's rare to have this in real life, to be honest. Not everyone's lucky to have friends, or even just a friend, who would be willing to do what JS and SI have done to make sure we are happy and safe. Even I am jealous of KT and MY for having such precious friendships like that. 

8 hours ago, solilokuyla said:

not available in my country TT

Try turning on VPN/Hotspot shield and you should be able to watch it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@40somethingahjumma I just want to say thank you for your  posts. I really enjoyed reading all of your comments regarding the drama... I find them very well thought-through and articulated. They definitely gave me lots of things to think about, and really try to understand the rather "heavy" theme of this drama. Thank you again.

Also, if you permit, I would like to translate them and share them on the Chinese social media site Weibo. I will of course link everything to your original posts. I just think this is the type of content many people look for, and it is worth being read by many more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, moonie52 said:

I am so confused. All the signs seem to point to Head Nurse Park being MY's mom DHJ but how did she survive that fall and being dumped into the lake? MY can't have remembered it wrong, her memories should be working perfectly fine. 

You could argue that she survived and is actually alive, got plastic surgery (because the woman that her dad pushed and the nurse don't look the same) and no longer looks the same. But then why would they go to the lengths to hide MY's moms face every time a picture of her is shown to us. 

I just really hope that the nurse is not actually the mom and is dead. 

13 hours ago, angelicXD said:

I think the flashback by the father is not right. I think his memory is clouded. 

This is the only explanation I can think of, that the woman bleeding at the foot of the stairs or at the very least the one that got dumped into the lake was not MY's mom to begin with and we are seeing it from the clouded POW of MY's dad. But then, MY was also there...

Edit: If she is indeed MY's mom, why has she hardly interacted with MY? Like at all? We've hardly seen her taking any interest in her own daughter, she was little more than professional with KT and if I had to choose one she was really interested in, that would be ST. 

• Like 2

If PD & writer do not give valid reasoning as to why and how Nurse Park is KMY's mom and able to survive, then am presuming that they drifted from their original story after reading the theories viewers came up with.

I just hoped that KMY mom is dead and the show focuses on main cast's healing process and how people should be treated as they try to move on from painful past and break free from the shackles of fear and desolation. I felt like it had become a who-might-be-the-mother & how-is-she-alive kind of mysteries during the last episodes. If not for the cast's superb acting, the drama would have completely steered towards a different direction.

Looking forward for the last 2 eps! :)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, strongtower said:

If PD & writer do not give valid reasoning as to why and how Nurse Park is KMY's mom and able to survive, then am presuming that they drifted from their original story after reading the theories viewers came up with.

I just hoped that KMY mom is dead and the show focuses on main cast's healing process and how people should be treated as they try to move on from painful past and break free the shackles of fear and desolation.

Exactly. MY'm mom being alive doesn't contribute anything to the story.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Valhad said:
1 hour ago, strongtower said:

I just hoped that KMY mom is dead and the show focuses on main cast's healing process and how people should be treated as they try to move on from painful past and break free the shackles of fear and desolation.

Exactly. MY'm mom being alive doesn't contribute anything to the story.

She does TBH. It is not easy for GT to fully convince or get rid of MY feeling guilty over their Mum's death. For MY she knows that DHJ must have killed Moon Mum because of the possessiveness. How do convince MY that she is not responsible? It leaves a deep psychological impact. 

A kid knowing her mother being possessive and crazy v/s actually experiencing her killing/attacking as an Adult and then understand that she is NOT HER MOTHER in MInd Games and tendencies have a much different impact.

MY may have cut her hair, she is still not over fully from being trapped being her Mother's daughter. Her father kept on saying MY and DHJ are same, imagine the impact on top of knowing that same mother is responsible for ruining the Life of her Prince Charming Saviour.

MY encountering her mother now and then Healing entirety with Moon Brothers will be much more fulfilling in overall impact of storyline narration.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, madmad min said:

She does TBH. It is not easy for GT to fully convince or get rid of MY feeling guilty over their Mum's death. For MY she knows that DHJ must have killed Moon Mum because of the possessiveness. How do convince MY that she is not responsible? It leaves a deep psychological impact. 

A kid knowing her mother being possessive and crazy v/s actually experiencing her killing/attacking as an Adult and then understand that she is NOT HER MOTHER in MInd Games and tendencies have a much different impact.

MY may have cut her hair, she is still not over fully from being trapped being her Mother's daughter. Her father kept on saying MY and DHJ are same, imagine the impact on top of knowing that same mother is responsible for ruining the Life of her Prince Charming Saviour.

MY encountering her mother now and then Healing entirety with Moon Brothers will be much more fulfilling in overall impact of storyline narration.

If we hadn't been shown time and again that MY's mom was dead, I'd fine-ish with that.

But that's not the case.

Unless better explained, Head Nurse being MY's mom is not only head scratching when you think of what they've shown us of her "death" but it is also unnecesary and simply done for max effect. Her being dead and truly responsible for the death of KT&ST's mom woul pose as much of an issue for MY/KT/ST moving forward and actually even more so than having her alive and giving the three amigos the chance to "kill" her. As a ghost from the past (and thus a lot harder to "kill") she was much more interesting.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Valhad said:

If we hadn't been shown time and again that MY's mom was dead, I'd fine-ish with that.

But that's not the case.

Unless better explained, Head Nurse being MY's mom is not only head scratching when you think of what they've shown us of her "death" but it is also unnecesary and simply done for max effect. Her being dead and truly responsible for the death of KT&ST's mom woul pose as much of an issue for MY/KT/ST moving forward and actually even more so than having her alive and giving the three amigos the chance to "kill" her. As a ghost from the past (and thus a lot harder to "kill") she was much more interesting.

101% AGREE!

It just doesn't make sense from any angle for the real mother to be actually alive. Please be some crazed fan or half-sister or someone else JUST NOT THE MOM. Honestly if they do stick to the "Mother being alive all these years" storyline - that will be the only significant flaw of this show.

Besides that, it has been one heck of a ride! 

To the last Psycho weekend <3

:byebye2:

• Like 9

I see this as multiple emotions/feelings for MY.  First MY is guilty that her mom had killed ST and GT's mom. She was sorry for what they had to go through (re: losing their mom at a young age then them having to run away each time ST gets triggered by seeing butterflies). I do believe that after that scene with ST feeding her and telling her that he forgives her if she eats he will forgive her. Next is she did feel fear after hearing from KT that her mom is alive and she is Nurse Park (or could be Nurse Park...we never really can tell until EP 15 and 16 comes hehe) she knew how her mom can kill just about anyone with no regrets at all so she felt fearful more for the Moon brothers than her own life. Coz she probably thinks her mom will not kill her. But then I think she kinda gotten over this fear too and turned into anger towards her mom that's why she wants to lure her by setting off the news about the last book being published. 

In the preview, the fact that we have MY and GT with scenes in the cursed castle and she spoke lines of "Stop pretending that it hurts you're going to do it in front of me. Not just SangTae" means they all survived the Nurse Park crisis. I dont know if he ended up choking her to death or MY might have stopped him so that he wont commit a crime.  Maybe after the Nurse Park crisis GT will finally propose to MY and suggest they do the camping trip (when he says its just extended nightmare  and that he can do it) and that's when MY tells him he would have to be honest with what he really thinks and feel bc its not just ST he would have to deal with but also MY. 

I wholeheartedly want to believe it will be a happy ending. They will get to to on their camping trip ans CEO SI is there to tell them news of the launch/success of MY and STs new book :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Valhad said:

But that's not the case.

To be fair, we haven't been shown again and again that the mom was dead. They repeatedly mentioned she disappeared and was presumed dead. The memories from the dad are just that, memories, which as we all know can be false and distorted. Plus the father was already sick then and his sickness had an effect on his cognitive abilities and memories. The memories are somewhat corroborated by MY but even she mentioned that the body simply vanished from the basement not that the father dumped the body in the river like the father recalled. 

I think the reason why the "supposed mother" is back is as you said to provide an opportunity for MY to completely cut off her leash, to actively face off against "her mother" and be free. It is more than just dealing with the guilt she has for KT and ST. I think for her own growth and the way she identifies and navigates the world, it is a good plot device. 

@40somethingahjumma  Thank you for your posts. They are always well though off and written. Really a breath of fresh air. I  really enjoy reading what you have to say as it brings me a new perspective. I wish I could like your posts a thousand times uwu

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

@leejoongi1trash I agree. 

Let’s have faith in our writer and the show - there are two more episodes and our answers will probably be answered soon. They haven’t let us down thus far. 

So what do you think MY and ST will call their new book? Something that is symbolic and as a tribute to their new family?

If they all go on that road trip, what will Jae Su do?!? Lol Maybe he will also find his own adventures :) 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, leejoongi1trash said:

To be fair, we haven't been shown again and again that the mom was dead. They repeatedly mentioned she disappeared and was presumed dead

Agreed!! Because she was Dead was not entirely shown, quite contrary there were hints that her or someone related to her was always lurking in the background. The show always had the feeling of mystery horror alongwith Healing Process.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, stella77 said:

@leejoongi1trash I agree. 

Let’s have faith in our writer and the show - there are two more episodes and our answers will probably be answered soon. They haven’t let us down thus far. 

So what do you think MY and ST will call their new book? Something that is symbolic and as a tribute to their new family?

If they all go on that road trip, what will Jae Su do?!? Lol Maybe he will also find his own adventures :) 

I will wait for the last episodes too before passing judgement. So far the writing hasn't disappointed. 

I'm really curious about the title of the new book too... I have no idea and I can't wait for them to publish it, the style will be completely different from her previous works since it's ST that is drawing and she is in a better place too.

Jae Su haha... Well he can try to woo Seung Jae hehe, he is such a good and loyal friend and I hope he gets to establish his life outside of the brothers too. 

• Like 6