[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

16 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Actually… there were many times when I would see myself in the figure of a salaryman with a crooked neck time, and when seeing lovers who walk arm in arm, laughing and giggling, I would become envious and I would get a bitter taste in my mouth, and when I see a people with their luggage on their way to a vacation, I also want to not have to move, but just go on a vacation trip. As long as my older brother doesn’t know this duplicitous me, it’s okay. However…

this is so heartbreaking :tears:. He’s putting on such a brave front for his brother when in reality he’s having such a hard time. I can’t wait to see scenes where KangTae becomes carefree and puts himself first even if it’s just for a little while. And then I’ll be alright with him going taking back all his responsibilities. This character is so complex... I want him to be worry free and live for himself but it’s just impossible with the type of situation he and his brother are in. I hope the writer finds a balance in life for him!!!

23 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

However, the more I tried to escape from her wicked spell, the more helpless I become at her hands.

im looking forward to this.. eventually kangtae will enjoy moonyoung’s company so maybe this is the balance he needs in life for self- happiness and responsibility :lol:

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, starwater0 said:

this is so heartbreaking :tears:. He’s putting on such a brave front for his brother when in reality he’s having such a hard time. I can’t wait to see scenes where KangTae becomes carefree and puts himself first even if it’s just for a little while. And then I’ll be alright with him going taking back all his responsibilities.

It is the plight of every primary carer for people with disabilities or special needs.  It is a heavy burden.  It is very real.  It can lead to a lot of pent up resentment - why me?  And it starts at a young age.  The needs of the other child is often so great that the one who is “normal” ends up with their needs overlooked or superseded.  No holidays because the autistic brother would freak out at the break in routine.  Their lives revolve around the needs of the other constantly.  That’s just the grim reality.  Many just put up with it silently.  With nowhere to redirect that resentment.  It’s not that they don’t love their sibling.  They do.  Often fiercely.  But they need their own identity as well, apart from being the carer of the person with special needs.  

• Like 8
  • Love 3

23 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

I'm not sure whether you have seen her character's description before.  The original site is HERE.  You can also check the other characters too.  

Thanks so much for the link.  Two things really stood out to me: the part about how in the fairy tale, a good protagonist defeated a witch and took over a prince and alcohol makes her bad side come out which @yonosoydulce quoted AND my favourite, Kim Mi-Kyung, is playing her mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't wait for these scenes.

:cutekitty:

Thank you so much for the translations @stroppyse  They are well-written and insightful.  Definitely giving me a better understanding of the characters and making me more and more excited for what's to come in this drama.

- Jae Su is such a good friend.  So they are not childhood friends?  i wonder how he knew Joo Ri then?

- Kang Tae's description is so sad.  No matter how much he loves his brother it must be exhausting for him especially with the itinerant lifestyle they have to live.  

- I wonder what this Scent of the Soul MY is looking for could be? Empathy? Love?

- Sang Tae's description I especially like "it’s just that he was born this way. It’s not abnormal, so please accept him as he is" and the comprehensive litst of things he likes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@Liting1 the sitting female I think is Moon Young, her mom's face is partially visible.  I tried really hard to see what is in the square in the background, could be an important clue :) My brain tells me that big castle must have a big dungeon! With a butterfly farm perhaps :lol: Theories theories.

07FTJwU.jpg

@nrllee thank you for posting Jaesu's character description, good to see you here! :fingerheartx:

@stroppyse as always, thank you so much for the translations!  Jaesu's sunny personality is what KangTae needs - a boy who grew up too fast, saddled with responsibilities and can't afford to live carefree like him.  I like him for his big heart and unwavering support of the two brothers.  Jaesu seems like a free spirit who is touched with the hard life the Moon brothers are leading.  You're right, helping them give his life a purpose but is it an excuse to not focus on his own?  KangTae runs away - Jaesu on the other hand, drifts through life with no desire to be anchored down to a place or a person.  He's young now, has the brothers to attach to... for sure in times, he needs to establish a life and identity of his own too.  I root for him to do just that by the end of the drama.

KangTae has chosen to carry the caregiver burden so much that he is willing to neglect his own needs for his brother.  He feels guilty for even a small yearning to be a little selfish for himself.  It's such a sad situation for both brothers.  Kang Tae is too much of a realist and a giver so I am happy for him that Moon Young came into his life.  She will make him open his heart to feel and do things that he has chosen to ignore too long.  I don't think KangTae can continue this way forever without burning out. 

I love the story about the boy who fed on nightmares. To take the unfortunate and hurtful experience, change, learn from them then rise above the negativity.  It takes someone to go through tough times to appreciate the good. ^^ Moon Young's character description sounds like she uses her mom's admonishment as the excuse to live without regards to social boundaries.  Did she blame her parents for making her feel this way?  Is this the reason for the hate?  Yet, I wonder if her parents were actually misguided by love.  The character descriptions for both Mrs and Mr Ko said they are devoted parents despite neglecting each other as spouses.   However lonely little MY was, whatever her behaviors were, the parents may have told her all the terrible things for blame shifting.   Kang Tae, who has a brother with spectrum at birth, perhaps can help her examine her behaviors again in a different light with a different mindset.   I'm in the minority who would be glad if the drama shows Moon Young learning to live a loving and productive life with an Antisocial Personality Disorder diagnosis.  It's not too important for me whether it is resulted from some kind of trauma in the past.  It's also ok if it ends up that she was misunderstood all these years.  I would be thrilled if the drama lives up to its name.

Now about Mr Ko (MY's father), he has relapsed glioblastoma (brain cancer) that requires surgery.  Not sure when was he diagnosed but the cancer can cause a myriad of neurologic problems.... which may explain why he tried to hurt MY.  Is it after this episode that he was deemed mentally unfit and admitted into OK Psych?  Curiously, MY has power of attorney, so he must have consented and indicated this wish after she became an adult.  Also, who's paying for his hospital bills all these years?

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

Seo Yea-ji is definitely one of the most underrated Korean actresses. After watching Potato Star, Moorim School, Hwarang, Save Me, Lawless Lawyer, and the first two episodes of It's Okay to Not Be Okay, I don't think I watched the performance of one actress. She has this ability to transform into a completely different person with entirely different personality. 

It's so hard to recognize her because you don't see her as Seo Yea-ji, but as the character she portrays. It's amazing really.

More importantly, she has a deep understanding of her character's psyche. For example, in her interview with Kim Soo hyun, she was asked to draw what goes inside KMY/GMY's mind. She was able to illustrate her character well, and it shows in the first two episodes. Same goes for her Cosmopolitan Indonesia interview. During the interview, Cosmo asked her about GMY, and she was able to explain her character's behavior in a concise manner. Seo Yea-ji started off by saying she is a person with Antisocial personality disorder who might come off as an egoist and arrogant. However, she holds no prejudice towards other people. We see this aspect during the second episode, in her response against the man and woman who bullied Sang-tae.

Sorry for blabbering! I'm just really impressed by her range, versatility, and courage to portray roles that are rarely seen in dramas or shows. 

I'm sure her international fan base is massive right now. Is she also received well by the South Korean viewers? :DD

• Like 12
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, stroppyse said:

In front of my older brother, I smile sweetly as if I have no cares in the world, but when I turn around, I have a face that is shadowed by an abyss of melancholy. As if it's saying it's hypocrisy and pretense that my older brother is my whole world. Actually… there were many times when I would see myself in the figure of a salaryman with a crooked neck time, and when seeing lovers who walk arm in arm, laughing and giggling, I would become envious and I would get a bitter taste in my mouth, and when I see a people with their luggage on their way to a vacation, I also want to not have to move, but just go on a vacation trip. As long as my older brother doesn’t know this duplicitous me, it’s okay. However…

I would love to see a scene in which we see the resentment/anger that Kang Tae has towards the burden of caring for his brother. It is realistic for a carer to feel that way, though it may not fit in a romantic drama, but I think it would work to show the other side of the coin of caring for loved ones. 

Thanks for the translations. I have gotten a better sense of the characters and empathise with them a bit more now.

10 hours ago, starwater0 said:

this is so heartbreaking :tears:. He’s putting on such a brave front for his brother when in reality he’s having such a hard time. I can’t wait to see scenes where KangTae becomes carefree and puts himself first even if it’s just for a little while. And then I’ll be alright with him going taking back all his responsibilities. This character is so complex... I want him to be worry free and live for himself but it’s just impossible with the type of situation he and his brother are in. I hope the writer finds a balance in life for him!!!

Hear! Hear! 

10 hours ago, nrllee said:

It is the plight of every primary carer for people with disabilities or special needs.  It is a heavy burden.  It is very real.  It can lead to a lot of pent up resentment - why me?  And it starts at a young age.  The needs of the other child is often so great that the one who is “normal” ends up with their needs overlooked or superseded.  No holidays because the autistic brother would freak out at the break in routine.  Their lives revolve around the needs of the other constantly.  That’s just the grim reality.  Many just put up with it silently.  With nowhere to redirect that resentment.  It’s not that they don’t love their sibling.  They do.  Often fiercely.  But they need their own identity as well, apart from being the carer of the person with special needs.

Agreed! you said what I thought earlier but you put it  in much clearer terms. The psychological cost of caring for loved ones can cause resentment in family members and guilt for feeling that resentment. As a policy student, I also see it on a bigger scale as a cost that should be included in the calculation of the cost and components of universal healthcare. As a country provides the medicine and care for the patient, there should also be support services for the carers in terms of a stipend of sorts and psychological services for them to have a way to deal with the toll of caring for their loved ones.

11 hours ago, yonosoydulce said:

I keep thinking about this drama. I want to know more about MY and Juri relationship, Juri was really upset because MY talked about her mother (Juri's mother). I tried to read Juri character description with naver translator and this caught my attention: "In the fairy tale, a good protagonist defeated a witch and took over a prince, but the reality is not as green as a fairy tale. It's alcohol that makes her so timid turn from Jekyll to Hyde! Alcohol goes in and cuts off the leash of reason, and another hidden ego pops out." and I remember she didn't drink the beer Jaesu gave her.

I think we caught a glimpse of this other side of the Nurse in Episode 1 when she leaves Moon Young's house and while in the lift she says, "She pi$$es me off". The good girl facade fell for a moment there. In that entire sequence at Moon Young's house, she seemed to be holding it in, probably from Moon Young's annoying character, but I think there is a lot of bad backstory between them. I bet Moon Young is oblivious to what their history is....lol

Nurse is so annoyed after visit Moon Young at her place that she throws the guardian consent forms...

TAIEpzW.png

She needs a moment...

xTCnYJb.png

SATURDAY!! Where are YOU???

• Like 11
  • Love 3

I have been wondering if the incident with the butterfly, where GMY ripped it in front of MKT is not related to Juri. It is definitely possible that Juri had already noticed MKT following GMY. Remember that GMY mentioned that she knew Juri's mother and it gave me the impression that GMY was close to Juri and her mother before. What if Juri gave GMY a bad advice intentionally so that MKT would leave GMY's side?

As for the red shoes, I see it in a positive way, just like GMY sees the positive aspects in the witch. The red shoes gave her strength, the "supernatural" power to move closer to MKT, to be able to return to her hometown and even to go to the hospital where her father has been living. She knew that she couldn't do it on her own, so the power from the red shoes gave her the energy and courage to affront her fears and put her resent aside.

• Like 11
  • Love 4