[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, I'm not that big a fan of Joo Ri's, though going by her character description, the character is also being acted well. Here is her character description from the tvN website.

Nam Joo Ri character description

Nam Joo Ri (30 years old, Psychiatric Hospital Nurse)

A nurse who has worked for 7 years at the OK Psychiatric Hospital. For 1 year, she worked closely with Kang Tae at a hospital in Seoul, and because they were from the same hometown, they became close. Nobody knows much effort she put into having a beer after work with Kang Tae who everyone had said was very hard to get close to.

Kang Tae was so defensive by nature all the time, so she didn’t dare show how much she liked him, but then one day. Moon Young showed up in front of Kang Tae and her heart chilled. For a very brief time during their elementary school days, she had been in the same class with her, so Joo Ri knew well. How creepy and scary a child that girl had been. Whatever she had to do, she has to tear Moon Young away from Kang Tae’s side… However, nothing is happening the way she wanted.

In the fairy tales, the nice protagonist defeats the witch and wins the prince, however, reality isn't happening like the fairy tales. What makes this woman who is so timid change from being “Jeckyll to Hyde” is alcohol! As soon as she has some alcohol, reason gets completely cut off, and that woman’s hidden other personality appears.

WOW!

I thought of a scene where in JR is cooking samgyupsal and JS is getting a portion of it and trying to eat first and he looked at JR and JR gave him a death stare so he gave it to KT cutely. This little scenes makes you deduce that she is not who she portrays to be... 

On the other hand, I love MY's character even though she has APD , she knows how to read people that's why she became a great writer. 

When MY and KT is in the convenience store eating ramen,  there's this scene that MY told him you're a kid and she is right because we can see like all sons and daughters to their parents they want to feel loved or feel the warmth of their parent's hug or in KT's case his mom. He became a grown up when his mom gave him a responsibilty or obligation to take care of his hyung. I feel he never have fun because he always looks after his hyung. I feel sorry for him but I guess that's reality since his hyung is special...

• Like 9

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

JR's mother sounds nice actually. I wonder about JR, but given that the mother sounds tender-hearted and sensible, I think JR, regardless of what Jeckyll and Hyde she comes up with, probably will eventually prove to be a good person, though she'll be frustrated by not being able to get KT and continuing to think that MY is dangerous or evil or both. Though, I wonder whether seeing MY's father attack MY will stir some sympathy in JR for MY.

Agree with your analysis. I think JR might not turn out the to a bad character as speculated. But what we might be able to expect from her would be a representation of prejudice by regular people towards someone with APD. We see this in her character description as attached by another commenter a few posts above too that she will try to tear MY away from KT because she had first hand witnessed how scary MY can be. This would be most people's reaction when caught off guard by someone with APD. Fight mode kicks in assuming danger. It takes effort and patience to see beyond the surface of someone with APD. Hopefully KT can be exactly that for MY.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Liting1 said:

From ep. 5 preview, it looks like KT took sides with JR after her & MY fought. He tells her to "let go of her hand. He's not hers" & omg I felt that & it hurts as a woman since we're emotionally sensitive. Ugh, I hope MY decides to stop chasing him so he'll start to miss her! 

200.gif

YES!! As a strong independent woman believer, I kinda felt bad for my girl for being pushed away like that!! I wonder when will she stopped chasing and just let KT miss her 

8 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

Moon Young's mother is alive and in the hospital....she was the one watching her from afar. Also, that is why Ju Ri was surprised that Moon Young registered her dead.

Also, are the hospital stuff properly trained. How come nobody took care of Moon Young after she got choked to death and laughed like a maniac. That part really irked me. I think only hospital director understands patients well, others seem way to quick to judge.

200.gif

THE HOSPITAL DIRECTOR IS THE ONLY PERSON THAT MATTERS in that hospital huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

• Like 6

This show so far has been 4/4! Every episode has been fantastic and every scene is so full of meanings. One thought that hit me as I think about this last episode is that reality is composed of different ‘perspectives’ and more than one can be true at the same time. For example the Zombie Kid’s masterpiece message: did the kid wanted warmth from his mother or did he eat her out of hunger? Both can be true at once. I think this will be key for both KT and MY. It doesn’t have to be 1 way or another.

Also be laughing and crying while watching every single episode. No drama has done this to me before. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, lyrically aesthetic said:

YES!! As a strong independent woman believer, I kinda felt bad for my girl for being pushed away like that!! I wonder when will she stopped chasing and just let KT miss her 

THE HOSPITAL DIRECTOR IS THE ONLY PERSON THAT MATTERS in that hospital huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

Methinks KT will come crawling to MY when she goes back to Seoul :P He's whipped and doesn't know it yet

Edited by stroppyse
Please delete images from quotes, or just don't quote images.
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Awesome 1

22 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

The Zombie Child story as read by Kang Tae with a reaction from Jae Su.

This story now that I've heard it, along with the central question of what did the zombie child really need, food or warmth, just touches something in me that feels so badly for the child and for the mother. Parents do the best that they can for their children, and yet, sometimes, they miss what their children may actually need.

I agree. I also think that fairy tale also highlights the extreme depth of a mother’s love. It is pretty genius that this story can be applied to both KT and MY. KT as you noted, wanting his mother’s love, and MY being treated as a monster and extremely ‘loved’ by her mom.

Re the Korean ratings - I am not surprised. I don’t think this show is for the general public; I think it is doing well online and via Netflix globally though. 

• Like 11

@stroppyse The reaction Jae Soo had at the end when he discovered Moon Young was the author killed me! :w00t: Well parents are human too.. they do the best they can, we all do really.. 

I liked that Moon Young recognised Gang Tae needed to be loved, heck her love declaration LMFAo:lol: He knew she needed warmth in return, that hug was everything~ 

• Like 6

Hello everyone !

Thanks for the very cool comments , analysis and thoughts & translations and goodies.

@stroppyse @Ameera Ali

@ponderings @bebebisous33@Nymeria289 @fluffyloaf @TiNaDo @debbsthebee @heartoppaya @shazai  etc 

I finally caught up to episode 4. 

There have been some amazing comments and theories and thoughts. I cannot say much beyond what was said already well articulated by others. So I will write what I liked.

- The hospital director Oh Ji Wang  rocks! Love he knew to hook in Moon Young as he identified someone or something at the hospital to hook her :ok:

- Installing the security CCTV stroke of genius to use later on the Footage of Kang Tae being slapped by politician Kwon :winkx:

- Kwon Gi Do was brilliantly played by Kwak Dong Yeon - looking gorgeous too! I felt sad his episodes were to get attention and love. But being the unloved underdog swept aside & liking being slapped by his mom making him feel recognized was sad. I loved he liked KT hyung & impressed by his physique as well (his being not shabby either) He took MY insult well & enjoyed ‘playing ‘ with her.:omg:

-Long suffering Lee Sang In cleans up MY messes and I feel a little bit  bad for him. But he has done a lot for her until this last book signing crisis made it worse than usual . I was amused when he fell for Juri. (A bit far fetched for me.) Give him kudos to try to get her attention & funny how Jae Soo ( felt their separate self talks seemed related hehe).

-Sang Tae wanting time but the camper so he and his dongseng can move around More comfortably without KT being yelled at? (Omg touching moment) Such a talented drawer! Loved his drawing of MY. SI complained the lute to the pizza shop was the drawing offer. His happiness to get art supplies & obsession to earn money did surprise KT. But the reason was sweet. I am glad he will do the mural.:hooray:

- Juri not feeling her, I agree she covers her true feelings and is a bit more dishonest and self serving. JR told Hospital Dir. to fire MY. She glared at TS to feed KT meat. 

- Jae Soo a good friend to follow KT everywhere & glad he told KT of how MY dad tried to choke her. (KT must felt off and bad after seeing her on the road looking alone walking)

His pizza he made for Sang In looked delicious!

-KT omg those chocolate abs (the with for that scene prob helped fresh out of the military)  glad KSH is back in his first ML role (other than his two special appearances in Hotel Del Luna & CLOY). Oh puppy wanting to be loved & thinking he wasn’t loved. The mom being drunk one day , she only bright him him into the world to take care of his hyung, that is tough to hear for a child a teen.( He cannot enjoy life and being his thing’s protector and keeper has been tiring for him. Does he really enjoy life? Has he even dated? I doubt it. He feared MY being able to read him & she always managed to evoke some strong visceral responses to her! I mean she is gorgeous but her strong advances & direct ways  do successfully unsettle him . I was glad he went to her after finding out about her being choked by her dad.:rip:

His denial of MY accuracy reading him, admitting he is too old for fairy tales. His crying  realizing HE was zombie boy was powerful. 

-MY a complex woman who is direct but in unsettling ways . I loved she helped Gi Do. She didn’t want to walk her dad due to his wanting to kill her , not that anyone knew until she wanted to be on KT good side . Then she did it only to get choked by her dad. She is a doll to her mom, her crazed dad wanted to kill her (did he think she was the mom?) Poor dear. 

She is direct and honest but her sultry voice, beauty are so amplified by her gorgeous wardrobe. I am def loving it! :fun:

Until next week!

• Like 8
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Okay, here is the character description for Joo Ri's mother from the tvN site.

Kang Soon Deok (Head Cook, Joo Ri’s Mom)

Her incompetent husband having died early from alcohol, she put her young daughter on her back and ran a hamba* for construction workers for their livelihood until one day, Pow! She ends up for the first time in her life in a hospital bed, with arrhythmia of her heart, and finds out that if she keeps working as she does, she could die, so saying that she can’t make her daughter an orphan, she uses the influence (?) of Medical Director Oh who used to be called the foolish oppa of the neighborhood to get a job, working her way up being the head cook.

So, she can’t ignore anyone who is starving or doesn’t have a place to live. So, that is a reason why once the brothers Kang Tae and Sang Tae move into the rooftop of her house, she takes care of them by making them food. People who long for a mother are enfolded into her warm embrace…she’s a real mom!

*A hamba is an eatery, restaurant, cafeteria that is set up for construction workers at a construction site.

JR's mother sounds nice actually. I wonder about JR, but given that the mother sounds tender-hearted and sensible, I think JR, regardless of what Jeckyll and Hyde she comes up with, probably will eventually prove to be a good person, though she'll be frustrated by not being able to get KT and continuing to think that MY is dangerous or evil or both. Though, I wonder whether seeing MY's father attack MY will stir some sympathy in JR for MY.

I don't think so. She will not have sympathy toward MY.

55 minutes ago, Chellsee said:

KT and MY is :heart:

These two beautiful soul will make you smile, laugh and cry at the same time! 

This scene is so heart wrenching

4 hours ago, here&there said:

If I’m being completely honest, I’m pretty disappointed & a little frustrated the Korean audience isn’t more accepting of genres like this? But I can understand that they’re probably not ready for something heavy, especially in this genre. I’ve accepted it now, but I still gotta say that they’re seriously missing out on this gem

I wonder why the rating is not as high as I expected. But I don't care the rating. It is a great drama. 

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please

about the ratings, someone said that the clips and videos of this drama has been blocked in korea and they are not being able to stream it on korean websites. also, some koreans said that this drama is not aired frequently so it is unpopular and the ratings are decreasing. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 9:39 AM, hwonhwon_stv said:

'Psycho is okay'   Kim Soo Hyun, Seo Ye-ji, Oh Jeong-se, and Park Gyu-young attended the script. 

On the 8th, tvN's new Saturday drama 'Psycho but it's okay' (Director Park Shin-woo) released a photo containing the scene of the main story where all the leading roles such as Kim Soo-hyun, Seo Ye-ji, Oh Jeong-se, and Park Gyu-young gathered together. 

A fanciful psychic ward guard who rejects love under the heavy weight of 'Psycho, but it's okay' Moon Kang-tae (Kim Soo-hyun) and fairy tale writer Ko Moon-young (Seo Ye-ji's) who don't know love due to birth defects, heals each other's wounds and heals them It is a fairy-tale healing romance drama. 

The main actors who led the work, including director Park Shin-woo and artist  Kim Soo-hyun, Seo Ye Ji, Oh Gyu-se, Kim Joo-heon, Kim Chang-wan, Kim Mi-gyeong, and Jang Gyu-ri, Earl Kang, and Park Jin-joo, were gathered in one place. 

Prior to the start, director Park Shin-woo encouraged the morale by saying, "I will do my best to help actors realize their roles and characters freely and creatively in this work. I wish it was a drama that everyone is making together."
The actors, staff and officials who participated in this also added fighting with strong applause.

When he entered the main story in earnest, the character and the actors who were united continued. Kim Soo-hyun, who first served as the guardian of the mental hospital Moon Kang-tae, captured the emotions of the character that was not revealed even though he had inner loneliness and loneliness. Expressed aura and changelessness freely and immersed himself. In particular, the breath of the two actors, who evoke the strange tension of Moon Kang-tae and Go Moon-young, raised the power of the romantic comedy. 

Subsequently, Oh Jeong-se turned to Moon Kang-tae's brother-in-law and autism spectrum (ASD) disorder, changing his tone and vocalization and vividly reviving the character's character. Kim Soo-hyun and Oh Jeong-se's brother, who can feel realistic even after reading the script, have raised the expectations of the two men.
In addition, Park Gyu-young also drew Kang Nam-tae's colleague and mental health nurse Nam Joo-ri character calmly. 

In addition, the scene of reading showed the energy of mid-sized actors and youth actors. Actors such as Kim Chang-wan, Kim Mi-kyung, Jang Yeong-nam, and Lee Eol added a sense of weight with the flavor of the drama, and youth actors such as Kim Joo-heon, Kang Pil-jin, and Park Gyu-ju, Jang Gyu-ri, gave joyful vitality, and overflowing with laughter. 

'Psycho is okay'  said an official, "It was a script reading scene where you could feel comical laughter and excitement with the actors who made use of the charms of unique characters for 10 minutes."  
On the other hand, 'Psycho but it's okay' will be aired for the first time in June

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/421/0004626229

Reveal hidden contents

Script reading 'It's Okay To Not Be Okay'

I don't know why but from this photo i get a feeling that seo yea ji is a shy person

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t quote images. Thanks
  • Like 2

I am still teary eyed with ep 4 ending... that was so sad. KT reading the book, recognizing that MY may understand him more that what he wanted to think. Then MY walking in the rain, heartbroken but at the same time maintaining her strong, upright and elegant posture , only to give in when he was near her...

Also, when she smiled with that single tear falling... ouch! My heart! Trying to maintain a strong façade while hurting badly inside.    

:cries:

Great acting both of them!

Btw, Head Cook (Joo Ri’s mom) is very suspicious... she appears all kind and warm but I cannot stop thinking that she could be the causer behind MYs parents breakdown. Maybe she is the «original» psycho behind all the chaos that happened in the castle. That silhouette in the Hospital was her, right? And I agree that JR may just turn bad... She seems to be holding a lot of grudges inside her.

About the butterflies... interesting that they are mentioning us butterflies many times... it makes me wonder the real meaning behind... butterfly hug, cutting butterflies’ wings, running from butterflies. Maybe MY is attracted to cut their wings bc she also has the idea that they’re bad (like ST but instead of fearing them and run, she face it that way). But then, she is been introduced to a good butterfly effect( the hug). 

This drama is really interesting.
:ok:

Please excuse my repeat mode but... I love MY!! So unique character! SYJ is perfectly performing all her sides. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2