[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

@shazai I agree with JR and the Jekyll/Hyde personality. I think that she's not a very nice person and that she and MY don't get along because MY never fell for her fake personality. I think MY has a knack for seeing through people to their inner selves [like with the Zombie Kid book and how she DOES actually understand the inner workings of GT, even though he said that she'd "never understand [him] until the day she died"]

I think in their childhood, JR probably tried to be her fake nice self with MY, MY didn't fall for it and then JR probably turned on her and started acting like her true self. 

JR's mom seems very fake to me also. She wants GT as a son-in-law so she's being super nice to him right now but I feel like as soon as GT makes his choice [and it's not JR] that she's going to turn on him. Her interaction with ST after GT yells at him seems like foreshadowing to me. She went from being all nice and trying to lure him out from under the table with a carved bunny to literally trying to yank him out when he wasn't doing what she wanted. Contrast that with MY who just saw quietly on a bench with GT in the previous episode and asked him how long ST's freak out episodes tend to last.

I don't think MY is antisocial either, rather I think that she might be on the autism spectrum. But instead of being low functioning, like ST, she's high functioning.

As for family dynamics, I think MY's dad blames her for MY's mother's death because MY was probably in the house when it happened. Her dad seems to possibly blame her for not "saving" her mom and wanted to kill her for that. This is someone who seems to be so obsessed with his wife [which is where MY probably gets her obsessive tendencies] that he built a house for her that is super isolated in the middle of the forest. Supposedly, it was built so that MY's mother could "focus on her writing" but what if that's not really the case?

If her father has obsessive tendencies like MY, he could have built that house in the middle of nowhere more to isolate MY's mother than to give her a place to write free from distractions. And if MY's mother became depressed enough due to her isolation from the outside world, then it's plausible that she could have committed suicide while MY was home but her father was not. MY was a child at the time and had no way to save her mother, but her father wouldn't care because the object of his possible obsession was gone. 

@Not Me In my opinion, GT connects with the Zombie Kid story because he IS the zombie kid. I think that MY based that book off of GT himself and what she saw from him when they were kids.

Just a thought with the butterflies; We see that GT ran away from MY after he saw her ripping the wings off butterflies but what if she was doing it for ST? It's possible that she had somehow met ST or learned about his fear, and knowing he was GT's brother, she could have been trying [in her own way] to protect him. If she gets rid of the butterflies for him, then he's safe because they can't get to him anymore.  

I just finished ep 4 and I started to ugly crying when Kang-Tar finishes reading Moon-Young's book. Does he regret his words to her and did he realize that she's probably the only one in the world who really understands him?

:sad1:

Foreshadowing thought, when he does start to like MY, will he have to make another sacrifice for his brother because Sang-Tae has a huge crush on her?

:brokenheart:

Like others have already said about Joo-ri seeming two face and desperate. After 4 episodes, I've concluded I don't really care for her either. I get that she likes KT but every time she's nosy towards him, I want to tell her character to shut up and show her true nature.

:machocat:

I hope this drama is big in Korea!

The plot is great so far and forces the viewer to have a deeper understanding of the characters behind the facade they show to the world. I love how psychoanalysis is used to interpret fairy tales. The cinematography is beautiful and the acting is great. Plus eye awesome eye candy

:Megathanks:

Can't wait for the next episode!!!

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Time to go into hibernation for another week I guess lol :bawling:

But seriously I'm starving for every scene of them together and I can't wait to see what's in store. Whoever the casting director is needs to get a raise because this pairing should be illegal.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

She is not her friend. The director wanted to gauge her reaction to understand the situation better, I believe he understands and senses more than he lets on. 

I believe the director use the word "friend" because they were schoolmates during elementary school and they are of the same age.   They are definitely not the friendly type of friend and we're probably going to see the connection soon.  So far they have shown us only young KT and young MY.  

At the moment I prefer to be neutral towards JR until we get more background story of them.

@cyang923 We have only Part 1 and Part 2 for now.

• Like 6

@phikyl she is not autistic, she is antisocial for sure....she has all the character traits unfortunately.... likes breaking laws, doesn't like/respects boundaries, puts herself and others in danger whenever is amuses her, general lack of empathy, provokes/manipulates others...that is precisely why Kang Tae got angry of having let his guard down around her and left the car, for a second there he had forgotten that Moon Young was antisocial but there conversation and her response brought him back to reality....Sang Tae has some variation of autism for sure.

Also I don't like the fact that she seems to be pulling Juri's hair like that. Adults don't do that and no matter what, Juri has done so far nothing to receive that. We will see but even if say Juri did something, I have a bad feeling Moon Young is overreacting here and obviously out of line. Also is it Seung Jae, the assistant or Juri there??

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

so satisfying to see she getting beaten by our girl :D

# why why he siding with you :joy:

Lol This GIF reminded me when I was in Elementary School and Pulled My Friends hair because She sided with the Classmate I did not like. Very Real Reaction.

• LOL 3

9 minutes ago, madmad min said:

Lol This GIF reminded me when I was in Elementary School and Pulled My Friends hair because She sided with the Classmate I did not like. Very Real Reaction.

yeah so real , your friend probably share oppa view :loolz:

** innocent soul can’t get it yet , that she own him :D

15933848421593384834.gif

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Just dropping by to share my thoughts. 

I watched ep 1 and 2 closely, but I couldn't follow closely for this week's episodes. 

Don't get me wrong. I love the acting, especially Kim Soo Hyun, Seo Yi Ji and Oh Jung Se. KSH never fails me with his intense eyes burning with fire and passion and I just noticed that close ups show he has dark brown eyes!!! :sparklyeyes: SYJ, who I first saw and fell in love with her deep, seductive voice and acting in Lawless Lawyer, is amazing here, too. Both KSH and SYJ have this wonderful synergy. On the other hand, I look forward to KSH and OJS's scenes because there's so much complexity in the characters as brothers Kang Tae and Sang Tae, respectively. I am loving how we see snippets of Kang Tae's childhood; he felt unwanted and didn't belong in the family especially when her mom hugs him and tells him that he was born to take care of Sang Tae hyung. It even hurts my heart when Gang Tae has trouble being himself because he's always worried about Sang Tae. It hurts my heart when Sang Tae is saving up money to buy a van so they don't have to move all the time. "Trust me. I am your hyung" tugs my heart, too. 

What I have trouble is the writing of how mental illnesses are dealt. Currently, the drama's way in showcasing mental illnesses is a reflection of how the current society is taking it in. There's a stigma around mental stigma and this mainstream drama creates more confusion about mental health for the Korean society and other audiences. 

• Kwon Ki Do's character sharing his suffering in front of his dad's political campaign and then having fun and singing his heart out was romanticized. The lighting and the dreamy colors created a romanticized interpretation of his mental illness.
  • In certain scenes with Moon Young, there is a whisper "psycho psycho", which is slang for psychopath, in the background. Here is my reason why I don't the word "psycho" should not used. 

According to Today's article, "Crazy. Sicko. Psycho. Nuts. Bipolar. Autistic. Weird. All too often people use words like those as insults and to stigmatize people with mental illness.

'Using pejorative terms to refer to someone with mental illness, it is really similar to using terms to attack someone's physical characteristics,' said Jack Cahlane, chief of adult services at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC.'"

So the auditory whispers along with the visual of the female lead unintentionally creates a negative aura, which is not true. She simply is a human being who lives with an antisocial personal disorder.  

These two examples out of many delude the Korean society and other audiences and they create a perception of these particular people who live with these mental illnesses. Since the screenwriter has already established that the female lead has an antisocial personality disorder, then he/she needs to dig deeper into researching about the stigma around mental health discussions. This is a drama and not everything is like reality, but I think Hospital Playlist has raised the bar on creating a wholesome and wholehearted storytelling. 

Lastly,  romanticizing the relationship between Kang Tae and Moon Young is like Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare intentionally wrote Romeo and Juliet to portray the infatuation between these two characters. It wasn't love which has been romanticized and became dramatic. On the other hand, Moon Young is infatuated with Kang Tae. If both of them come together, they will have a lot of issues.  

I wanted to love this drama so much especially when KSH and SYJ are a wonderful pairing and I love their acting from their individual projects. But the portrayal of mental illnesses does not hit the spot. If you ever continue watching this drama, please unlearn and inform yourself about the stigma around mental health. It's a huge issue around the world.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 6

16 minutes ago, ponderings said:

Just dropping by to share my thoughts. 

I watched ep 1 and 2 closely, but I couldn't follow closely for this week's episodes. 

Don't get me wrong. I love the acting, especially Kim Soo Hyun, Seo Yi Ji and Oh Jung Se. KSH never fails me with his intense eyes burning with fire and passion and I just noticed that close ups show he has dark brown eyes!!! :sparklyeyes: SYJ, who I first saw and fell in love with her deep, seductive voice and acting in Lawless Lawyer, is amazing here, too. Both KSH and SYJ have this wonderful synergy. On the other hand, I look forward to KSH and OJS's scenes because there's so much complexity in the characters as brothers Kang Tae and Sang Tae, respectively. I am loving how we see snippets of Kang Tae's childhood; he felt unwanted and didn't belong in the family especially when her mom hugs him and tells him that he was born to take care of Sang Tae hyung. It even hurts my heart when Gang Tae has trouble being himself because he's always worried about Sang Tae. It hurts my heart when Sang Tae is saving up money to buy a van so they don't have to move all the time. "Trust me. I am your hyung" tugs my heart, too. 

What I have trouble is the writing of how mental illnesses are dealt. Currently, the drama's way in showcasing mental illnesses is a reflection of how the current society is taking it in. There's a stigma around mental stigma and this mainstream drama creates more confusion about mental health for the Korean society and other audiences. 

• Kwon Ki Do's character sharing his suffering in front of his dad's political campaign and then having fun and singing his heart out was romanticized. The lighting and the dreamy colors created a romanticized interpretation of his mental illness.
  • In certain scenes with Moon Young, there is a whisper "psycho psycho", which is slang for psychopath, in the background. Here is my reason why I don't the word "psycho" should not used. 
    So the auditory whispers along with the visual of the female lead unintentionally creates a negative aura, which is not true. She simply is a human being who lives with an antisocial personal disorder.  

These two examples out of many delude the Korean society and other audiences and they create a perception of these particular people who live with these mental illnesses. Since the screenwriter has already established that the female lead has an antisocial personality disorder, then he/she needs to dig deeper into researching about the stigma around mental health discussions. This is a drama and not everything is like reality, but I think Hospital Playlist has raised the bar on creating a wholesome and wholehearted storytelling. 

Lastly,  romanticizing the relationship between Kang Tae and Moon Young is like Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare intentionally wrote Romeo and Juliet to portray the infatuation between these two characters. It wasn't love which has been romanticized and became dramatic. On the other hand, Moon Young is infatuated with Kang Tae. If both of them come together, they will have a lot of issues.  

I wanted to love this drama so much especially when KSH and SYJ are a wonderful pairing and I love their acting from their other projects. But the portrayal of mental illnesses does not hit the spot. If you ever continue watching this drama, please unlearn and inform yourself about the stigma around mental health. It's a huge issue around the world.

your opinion is valid but in the case of KDY, the whole scene was shown from his perspective. how he felt happy and free after telling the world about his father's behavior towards him and how it affected his mental health. the hospital director also says that KDY had since recovered to the point he could get discharged. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

@YongZura⁷, this is the preview for ep 4 which just aired today. You still want a translation when the episode has already aired? Here it is anyway.

With Kwon Ki Do’s escape incident, Kang Tae looks at Moon Young again…though only briefly.
At something that Moon Young says, Kang Tae determines the differences between them which can never be bridged and expresses his disappointment in Moon Young to her.
Meanwhile, at the ‘Cursed Castle’, Moon Young who is there by herself comes across an phantasm of her mother…

Yes, still thanks to you.  This week I'm out of sync ... :ph34r: (I'll add it into my vocab list)  As for JR if you look at her mother's description, I guess we can understand the connection to "alcohol".

• Like 4

1 hour ago, glory said:

your opinion is valid but in the case of KDY, the whole scene was shown from his perspective. how he felt happy and free after telling the world about his father's behavior towards him and how it affected his mental health. the hospital director also says that KDY had since recovered to the point he could get discharged. 

KDY's or rather Min Seok's scene wasn't shown from his perspective. The perspective of Min Seok being happy and free comes from Gang Tae's observation and Moon Young's perspective. The hospital director indicates that MS's condition is better in a technical perspective. Yes. But we see MS in the sedation room and he looks sad. You will never know how KDY feels because he is the one who lives with manic episodes. 

To be clear, to give an example of how MS's perspective was shown is him walking out of his room and we see his world in the imaginative club scene. That was a snippet of MS's world, but like I said, the romanticization of MS singing and dancing is a perspective outside of MS's world. 

Furthermore, MS's character was a plot device to tell GT's backstory and develop his instinct to protect MY such as accompanying her to the drive back to the hospital. If the screenwriter has to introduce a character living with a mental illness, she should not create an ambiguous perception and feed into the mental health stigma.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

Episode 4:

Ratings

- 4.94 (nationwide)

- 6.00 (Seoul)

Source: Nielsen Korea

I guess its safe to say we will get the ratings on the range of 5-6 nationwide for the remaining run.

If I’m being completely honest, I’m pretty disappointed & a little frustrated the Korean audience isn’t more accepting of genres like this? But I can understand that they’re probably not ready for something heavy, especially in this genre. I’ve accepted it now, but I still gotta say that they’re seriously missing out on this gem

• Like 7

I absolutely loved KDY’s cameo and was a bit upset when he was only there for two episodes. I thought when he came in he was going to be the second lead and that it was going to be so much fun. But then he dropped his clothes and I knew that he was just another patient.. *sighs*

The chemistry between our two leads are still so passionate and I just can’t wait for the moment when KT would stop worrying about consequences and just jump in head first. I love everyone except Juri for some reason. She just seems so fake. I have a theory that she would end up in the mental institute for her temper. She just keeps watching our duo and loosing her cool. I don’t like her at all.

• Like 5