[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

OKAY SO MY THEORY ABOUT HER PARENTS:

1.I think her mother is still alive. When Ju Ri came to get her signature, she mentioned "but she's alive" and was immediately interrupted by Moon Young claiming that she registered her death.

2.I also think her mother was way worse than her father as she just folded her father's picture but burnt the mother's. Her saying "her soul is still alive" might be implying that her mother and her words are still haunting her whereas her father is "physically alive" as he has no power and can do no harm to her because of his state. 

3. Kang Tae's mother's murder has definitely something do with the Ko family. I think it's a reach but I'm suspecting MY's mother as a potential suspect.

4. From the previews, we can see someone whispering to MY and MY crying. Also a lady with red nails combing her hair. What if it's her mother? 

5. I don't think MY has ASPD. She was probably misdiagnosed or it was a lie her parents fed her. Her behavior is similar to that of a sociopath but if she does have ASPD, I don't know how she'll heal to the point she falls in love and starts to sympathize and empathize.

FEEL FREE TO EDUCATE ME AND SHARE YOUR CURIOSITIES AS WELL!!!

On a side note, people should STOP comparing this to Hotel Del Luna. These both are very different genres and the only similarity is probably the sense of fashion and strong female leads. Both dramas do give dark and mysterious kind of vibe but they both are very different genres and shouldn't be compared!! Also, talking about the style of the FLs which is an interesting similarity, I believe MY dresses in order to keep her distance from the people and imply that she's high up there and untouchable whereas JMW dresses just because she's obsessed with having a rich lifestyle and so with the rich sense of fashion. 

On a personal note, this drama is really engaging and makes you obsess over it. LOL. I hope they don't ruin this masterpiece.

Edited by glory
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 8

That was awful how Sang Tae was assaulted.-_- However I loved the way Moon Young handled the situation. Like a boss.:w00t: Not good for her reputation but I guess she's pretty successful to care LoL!

She says whatever that comes to mind and it's just so refreshing. She holds nothing back. And so forward with Gang Tae that he blushes.B):dorakiss:   I'm lovin' the new added gif emojis feature eheheh. 

Anyway I envy Moon Young's hair and I love the outfit she wore at the book signing. Very sexy. Oh I have to say she got great legs & I'm a girl.:P Black's my favorite color as well.:D I'm surprised she's 30?! And Soo Hyun's 32 but look much younger ha-ha! What's this sorcery!?:w00t::lol: 

• Like 5

@Ameera Ali I definitely agree that they are adorable! 

HyunJi are like one of the few pairings that I will support their relationship on & off screen! They have such a grade A chemistry! It brings a smile to my face to see how comfortable they can be to laugh & enjoy having fun. :wub:

With the drama having them stare at each other intently & purposely creating such sexual vibes is too much to handle & yet I don't want them to stop! :lol::sweatingbullets:

amw8xET.gif

zSaEZlK.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

The music of this drama just killed me :joy: I love the thrilling song when MY is walking towards KT right before the ending them of ep 2, cannot Shazam it so I think this is an OST of this drama. Awaiting for it to be released. Other music also fits the theme perfectly :wub:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jeijei said:

You know what she is? A butterfly. An anti-social butterfly

Ahahahah. True!

Butterflies actually symbolise ressurection in Christianity, also hope for something new, for something like a rebirth. Also, the fact that the little girl (both in the animation & in MKT's memories) breaks the butterflies' wings, actually shows that she metaphorically kills everything around her. However, she kills it so that it could be reborn - hence, the butterfly symbol, which endures & lasts through everything. No matter that the wings are broken, it'll fly again.

On the other hand, in Islam, the butterfly symbolises "not being a people-person" - meaning, lacking the experience and capacity to interact with people, being anti-social in a way, or, as the drama puts it - being "not okay". 

So, the whole concept of butterflies in this drama, is super well-thought. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 9

https://www.hellokpop.com/featured/k-drama-premiere-its-okay-to-not-be-okay/

101804576_712497979321730_1347570350174502912_o-660x400.jpgTVN

FEATURED

K-Drama Premiere: “It’s Okay To Not Be Okay” Stuns With Bewildering Narrative On Healing And Love

By Lilly | June 23, 2020

ACCELERATING WITH A POWERFUL START, IT’S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY INTRIGUES WITH ITS UNIQUE PLOT AND EXCITING CHARACTERS.

It’s Okay To Not Be Okay is finally here and has exceeded all the expectations. Right off the bat, the drama starts with a bang making it worth all the wait.

It's Okay To Not Be Okay

PREMIERE WEEK RATING: 4.5.gif

Presenting weirdly interesting characters and a fantasy-like cinematography laced with mystery, It’s Okay To Not Be Okay sweetly enchants in its premiere week episodes. Further enhancing the quality of the drama is the intense chemistry of the main leads, who manifests perfection in all of their scenes.

Top-billed by Kim Soo Hyun and Seo Ye Ji, It’s Okay To Not Be Okay paints a miraculous romance between two people who were least likely to fall in love. Kim Soo Hyun portray Moon Gang Tae, a caregiver at a psychiatric hospital, who has been living a tough life for a very long time. Burdened with the responsibility of taking care of his autistic older brother, Moon Sang Tae (Oh Jung Se), he has given up on love.

Meanwhile, Seo Ye Ji plays the rude, arrogant children’s book author, Go Moon Young. Suffering from antisocial personality disorder, she lacks empathy and does whatever she wishes without considering others’ feelings.

It's Okay To Not Be Okay

PREMIERE WEEK RECAP

The premiere opens with a Tim Burton style animation. There is a young girl in a castle who has been isolated and has no friends. One day, she moves out of the castle and tries making new friends by giving them gifts. However, the other kids were horrified to see her presents and cast her away.

Angered at the treatment, the young girl lives her life cruelly by hurting other living beings. But suddenly, she has an accidental encounter with a young boy. The young boy would follow the girl everywhere and it was obvious that he liked her.

To profess his liking for the girl, the young boy brings her flowers. But then the girl shows her true side to the boy as she brutally rips the butterflies. Terrified the boy runs away and the girl is left alone again. A voice, which happens to be the girl’s mother tells her that it is her destiny to be alone as she is a monster. Then, Go Moon Young appears on the screen and responds in affirmation to the voice.

Spoiler

It's Okay To Not Be Okay

THE BOY, WHO IS STILL LIVING HIS NIGHTMARE

Moon Gang Tae’s everyday life is full of struggles. Being a caregiver at a psychiatric hospital, he has to deal with all kinds of patients. Sometimes, he gets physically hurt while at other times, he faces worse atrocities. Additionally, in order to make ends meet, he works part-time jobs.

Thus, Moon Gang Tae is always busy with work and taking care of his older brother. Also, he does not stick to one location for long. Therefore, Moon Gang Tae does not try to get close with other people either.

A flashback from the past shows that his mother was murdered and the only witness was Moon Sang Tae, according to whom it was the butterfly who killed their mother. After he overhears that the authorities are going to separate the brothers, Moon Gang Tae runs away along with his brother.

Since then, year after year, at about the same time, Moon Sang Tae’s nightmares of the butterflies appear again. As a result, the Moon brothers has been living a nomadic life.

Spoiler

It's Okay To Not Be Okay

THE HEARTLESS GIRL, WHO DOES NOT IDOLIZE FAIRYTALE PRINCESSES

Though a successful author, Go Moon Young does not care about anything and lives recklessly. She has had done many questionable actions that could sabotage her 10-year career. But, the only reason her reputation is still unscathed is because of Lee Sang In (Kim Joo Hoon), CEO of her publishing company, who has been bribing people to keep their mouths shut.

Go Moon Young also harbours hatred towards her father. When Nam Joo Ri (Park Gyu Young), a nurse from OK Psychiatric Hospital calls to get a signature of consent for surgery of Go Moon Young’s father, she flatly refuses. She remarks that her father is dead to her and considers herself an orphan.

It is later revealed that Go Moon Young’s father had attempted to kill her in the past.

Spoiler

1592892530270-e1592892477160.jpg

THE CRAZIEST SORT OF ENCOUNTER

As it happens, Go Moon Young has a special book reading session for sick children at the same hospital where Moon Gang Tae is working at. On the same day, a violent patient gets admitted, who had planned to kill his daughter and commit suicide.

However, the very patient escapes and reaches where Go Moon Young’s reading was taking place, while searching for his daughter. The book reading event gets halted abruptly in the middle with the hospital securities rushing in to find the man.

Unnoticed by anybody, the man drags his daughters along but Go Moon Young interrupts and sends him to a further rage with her snide comments. The man tries to strangle her but Moon Gang Tae arrives at the right moment to save her.

As Moon Gang Tae was restraining the patient, Go Moon Young takes out a knife to harm the patient. Moon Gang Tae blocks the writer lady’s attack but his hand gets badly injured.

Making things worse, Moon Gang Tae also has to [take] the bullet for the incident and gets fired from his job.

Spoiler

It's Okay To Not Be Okay

THE FAMILIAR EYES AND MORE CHAOS

To ensure that Go Moon Young’s image remains untainted, Lee Sang In contacts Moon Gang Tae asking him to meet so that they can negotiate. Meanwhile, Moon Gang Tae ends up disappointing his older brother after failing to bring Go Moon Young’s autograph.

Thereafter, Moon Gang Tae goes to meet Lee Sang In at his office. Unexpectedly, he runs into Go Moon Young, who questions whether he is there for bargaining his reward. Moon Gang Tae answered that he was there with the the hopes of seeing her again because her eyes remind him of someone he knew in the past.

Brief glimpses of flashback shows that what was shown in the animation in the beginning is actually the childhood memory of Moon Gang Tae and Go Moon Young.

As for the bribery, Moon Gang Tae does not accept anything but agrees to Go Moon Young’s autograph for his brother. But Go Moon Young does not sign her autograph rather she writes an invitation to Moon Sang Tae for her book signing event.

On the day of the event, Moon Sang Tae gets into trouble when he excitedly goes to a kid wearing a dinosaur uniform. The kids’ parents are repulsed and the father even hits Moon Sang Tae and pulls his hair. This triggers Moon Sang Tae and causes his  meltdown. At the end, Go Moon Young comes forward to help the brothers.

Spoiler

It's Okay To Not Be Okay

THE PROCLAMATION OF A NEW-BORN OBSESSION

Although, Go Moon Young had helped the brothers, her actions were considered too outrageous and violent. Lee Sang In is overwhelmed at the various problems that have been occurring since the incident as more and more videos of Go Moon Young’s rude behaviour surfaces online.

Meanwhile, Go Moon Young is no where to be found. Turns out the writer has taken quite a liking for the caregiver and wants to own him at any cost. To learn more about him, she had manipulated Yoo Seung Jae (Park Jin Joo) to dig up information on Moon Gang Tae.

Finding the news about Moon Gang Tae’s new whereabouts which is at OK Psychiatric Hospital located in the same city from their younger days, Go Moon Young takes on the steering wheels to move there. Quoting the lines from Hans Christian Anderson’s fairytale, The Red Shoes, Go Moon Young narrates on why obsession is such a noble thing and that she has found her red shoes.

Spoiler

1592891776193-e1592891726822.jpg

PREMIERE WEEK AFTERTHOUGHTS

It’s too early to make a prediction but judging from the first two episodes, it can be said that It’s Okay To Not Be Okay is going to be one of the most talked about dramas of this year. From the unique storytelling to immersive acting and high-quality camera shots – everything about this drama screams perfection.

THOUGHTS ON THE ACTORS

I would say Kim Soo Hyun chose the right project for his return to the television screens. As stated by the character Go Moon Young, his eyes are indeed beautiful. Through those eyes, one can see the various emotions of Moon Gang Tae and if smiles can kill, it’s definitely his.

On the other hand, Seo Ye Ji strikes a strong impression as the sassy female lead, Go Moon Young. With the leading lady possessing sociopath tendencies, I am wondering as to how love falls into the equation and changes things for both of them.

Another scene stealer from the premiere week is Oh Jung Se. His realistic portrayal of Moon Sang Tae evokes lots of empathy for the character. The relationship of the two brothers is pure gold and I love their moments. I cannot help but smile whenever Moon Gang Tae asks his older brother who does he love more between him and Go Moon Young.

Spoiler

1592892959938-e1592892884594.jpg

THOUGHTS ON THE PLOT

As for the plot, there are just too many things about It’s Okay To Not Be Okay that draws curiosity. Firstly, the butterflies – a young Go Moon Young massacred a bunch of those creatures while, according to Moon Sang Tae, it was the butterfly who killed his mother. Given the fact, that they all used to live in the same town when they were younger, it appears like there is a connection.

Next, is the suspense behind the current state of Go Moon Young’s parents. Why did Go Moon Young’s father tried to kill her? What kind of influence does Go Moon Young’s mother has on her? And what actually happened to her mother?

Also, quite striking in the drama is Go Moon Young’s fairytale books. In our real lives, we have seen the stories in children books being sugar-coated and filled with only happiness. Go Moon Young’s writings are quite opposite of that. Her books consists of deep, dark stories that conveys the message that feelings of pain and hurt are necessary in order to grow.

It’s Okay To Not Be Okay airs every Saturday and Sunday on tvN and is also available to stream on Netflix.

Image Credit: tvN

Video Credit: The Swoon

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

@TiNaDo

She emerges from the cocoon of her ugly past and flutters her wings -- her pompous dresses, point makeup and ornate hairstyle. She excitedly hovers around a flower, our flower boy. Isn't she lovely? But her metamorphosis isn't complete yet. 

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, jeijei said:

@TiNaDo

She emerges from the cocoon of her ugly past and flutters her wings -- her pompous dresses, point makeup and ornate hairstyle. She excitedly hovers around a flower, our flower boy. Isn't she lovely? But her metamorphosis isn't complete yet. 

Absolutely, @jeijei! Couldn't have said it better. Especially with her attire - colours, material, design... Pretty much a butterfly, indeed. Fluttering around the beautiful flower.

It could be also a moth fluttering around the flame, which would burn her at the end. But burn in what sense? From love? Or the negative one - kill her? :( 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, nhquan94 said:

The music of this drama just killed me :joy: I love the thrilling song when MY is walking towards KT right before the ending them of ep 2, cannot Shazam it so I think this is an OST of this drama. Awaiting for it to be released. Other music also fits the theme perfectly :wub:

Yes I love the music...though I don't know the title :D

Another first impression post :)

First Impressions: It’s Okay To Not Be Okay

https://thedramacorner.com/2020/06/23/first-impressions-its-okay-to-not-be-okay/

12 hours ago, Ahpheng said:

Ohh that look was so hot!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I LOVE the OST of the after credits :wub: Does anyone know the name?

As a strong advocate for mental health awareness, this drama hits the soft spot for me. Kim Soo Hyun (and his abs) is just a very plus :w00t: I enjoy it so far.

- the aesthetics of the cinematography is very pleasing

- we get the glimpse into Mun Young's past that she was a victim of family suicide attempt by her father, that type of trauma may have contributed to her Antisocial Personality Disorder. She visibly displays many signs of sociopathy, yet as a public figure her being able to mask it for that long is quite something.... or perhaps it's the power of bribery? lol :lol: 

- I'm very interested in her character development and potentially her healing process

- (YeJi's deep raspy voice is intriguely pleasing) ~~~

- Kang Tae had a quite difficult life, I must say... Did it mention yet why he only works for roughly 1 year ? Or that still remains a mystery?

One thing I personally don't like so far is the directing choice of dramatically alternating up-close shots for like 5 times before ending the scene, i.e. that stabbing scene in the backstage and when he stops her from smoking... It makes the flow of the scene so awkward for me :wacko:

• Like 8

MY’s mother could well be alive from the character synopsis?  She’s presumed dead because she disappeared.  I am wondering if she could’ve been the person who killed KT/ST’s mother?   Both mothers have children with special needs?  So in a smaller country town (?), potentially they would gravitate towards each other because of shared experiences in the difficulties of raising such children?  Could MY’s mother have killed KT’s mom and then run away to avoid the repercussions?  

• Like 4

On 6/24/2020 at 5:14 AM, sillyvivian_yo89 said:

- Kang Tae had a quite difficult life, I must say... Did it mention yet why he only works for roughly 1 year ? Or that still remains a mystery?

This is what I understood in between the conversation that the characters said, I'm not sure it's 100% correct yet.  It is because of KT's brother's reaction to butterflies.  When it's the season where butterflies can be found a lot, he needs to give extra care to his brother. (After reading the character's description it's confirmed)

Credit to the owner

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

So I realized that the picture GMY was holding has her mom in it along with her dad? Or is it GMY when she was a teenager cause that girl doesn't look like younger GMY? I don't know anymore since I'm really curious what happen to the other half of the picture that was torn off? 

But I'm thinking her mom is alive & in hiding or she did die but her spirit still lingers among GMY. Whatever the case, it's very mysterious & creepy though! :crazy:

07FTJwU.jpg

• Like 5