[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

1 hour ago, fluffyloaf said:

Thanks for your insightful reply @bebebisous33! Really enjoyed reading your take on things! Yes I do agree on what you say about Rapunzel's tale having a role to play in the plot and the theme of child abuse.  

However I think the story of Rapunzel does not depict the parents' refusal to allow the child to grow up and their desire to keep her by their side. Correct me if I am wrong since I am not actually too familiar about literature pieces but the original story of Rapunzel seems to tell of parents who instead of trying to keep their child by their side, casually gives their child away to a witch out of their selfish and impulsive desires?

From how I see it, Rapunzel's tale might have been more relevant in the sense of MY and KT's relationship. Her entrapment in the cursed castle. KT and the prince as a symbolism of the freedom she sees outside of the confines of the castle/tower. And a possible obstacle symbolised by the witch that might act as an element to separate their love for each other. Treading on danger to be with each other.

In the context of her parents, perhaps we can see it in the sense that MY was trapped in the cursed castle due to the selfishness and her parents' love for each other more than their prioritisation of her as their child. Just as Rapunzel was easily traded off for some herbs desired by her mother, the welfare of MY was easily traded off whenever her parents had bigger priorities to protect. It is also said that Rapunzel's story on entrapment extends to her parents as well. Her father was trapped by his love towards her mother and fulfilling her mother's desires. Her mother was trapped by her own desires. Maybe there is an underlying correlation

Well, I have to say that when I wrote this, I was more thinking about the modernized version which I liked it very much. The woman was not her biological mother but this doesn't matter... she acted like the step-mother in the older fairy tales. Fact is that she wanted the girl to remain by her side so that she could stay young. And this is definitely connected to the fact that the moment the "children" leave the house, the parents realize that they have grown old. Besides, if you take this story on another level, you'll notice that the witch wanted Rapunzel to rely only on her. She never allowed the girl to leave the tower, to meet new people and discover the world. That's I interpret this story.... But like I mentioned it a few days ago, each person learns a different lesson from a fairy tale.

But this interpretation fits the story because in the episodes 5 and 6, one of the main topics was to let go of a child... here ST. KT acts like a mother.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, softestfairy said:

I saw a comment on Youtube that we're supposedly getting a kiss in episode 8 :offtospace:

Yea at the end of the episode! Then we have to wait another damn week! Lol but I do hope there’s a kiss next week.  >_<

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

11 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@SweetButters haha np. I know which thread you were on because I just came from there but didn’t post yet :D my sis came home from work at 1 am which I was already sleeping, and now I am half awake haha.

@vangsweetie637 HAHAHAHAHAH!! Tehehehe :phew:! Awww you need to get some sleep so you can continue to post about how sexy KT is and help me to formulate new theories for IOTNBO :wub:!

• Love 2

Wow folks, we have quite an interesting drama here, and I imagine as each episode unfolds, we will be treated to each character bringing a different angle on all of these relationships, trauma and healing.

MY is so intriguing. Even though she is quite flippant, and at times, mean, she is intriguing. You want to know more about her character. She is reserved in a lot of ways and you can tell that while she speaks her mind, she also holds things in. While she clearly suffers from a personality disorder, she offers the most balance of all of the characters.

What do we know? Her father, an architect, built this glorious mansion for her mother, an artist. Yet, we don't hear of anything either of her parents did after said mansion was built. In fact, it is clear that once they moved in, they were somehow cut off from society. It was either the second or third episode where one of the men in the same room as the father said I heard his daughter is an author and she's appearing here today. "They say" that she is beautiful, like her mother was. Where are the people who have personal, one-on-one experience with her parents and not someone who can offer what they heard through gossip? We also know that MY developed personality issues as a child due to her mother's influence. Telling her she's special, or above all of the other kids. Not allowing her to have a normal childhood, with friends and parties, etc. Yet, buried deep inside of her was a strong desire to be rescued from all of the isolation and loneliness.

GT enters the picture. A boy believed to have been born simply to care for his older autistic brother. A child forced to bear and unbelievable responsibility. It was difficult watching the childhood scenes. He was basically punished for being a kid. He wasn't allowed to run off and play. He ALWAYS had to oversee and protect his brother. This bred loneliness, jealousy and contempt. He was younger and needed his mother's warmth and she almost refused to give it to him for fear of rattling the brother. I sense an enormous amount of selfishness from KT's mother, probably overwhelmed at the prospect of having to take care of ST for life, she desperately wanted out of that situation and she got it. GT is a ticking time-bomb. ST knows this. He knows that his disability makes life harder for his brother and he empathizes with his brother, it's just his disability is something he can't do anything about. He also can't change people's prejudice of him, which is why the first sign of any independence is immediately taken by him. At 35, he is way past the age of needing someone to take care of him, yet he is still dependent on his brother in ways that someone his age shouldn't be. I see a reversal of roles coming.

Their supporting cast is interesting. The only person I really like around GT and ST is the friend. He is a bit unreliable at times, but for the most part, he is a good friend. As far as Juri and her mom, there is a LOT of self interest at play. Juri is a typical second lead. She has been around GT all of these years on and off and she's old enough to know that he just wasn't interested in her other than basic friendship. She manipulated him into coming back to their town and working at the same hospital and even living with she and her mom. I have a problem with people who disguise lending a helping hand as manipulating someone to serve their own interest. that is actually how MY even got the idea to invite ST to come and stay with her. 

So why does GT like MY? She clearly scared him with the whole butterfly massacre when they were kids. She was mean to him, watching him follow her around without actually talking to him. First and foremost, I think GT fell for MY because she didn't need him. She was another kid navigating the cruel world just like him. Second, I think he was was intrigued by her ability to say exactly what she means, what she dislikes and what she doesn't believe. He always had to hide his true feelings. Finally, she likes him. In all of their fateful interactions, she has not hid her attraction or interest in him. Even when he suspected it was an act (due to her overbearing) manager, she just got bold and confessed to him. He hasn't had to coddle her, feed her, clothe her, be totally responsible for her and yet, she likes him. Even her interactions with ST have been admirable. She never treated ST like he's autistic. She has always addressed him as oppa. She admires his talent and she talks to him with respect. Even when she decided to invite ST to live with her because she knew GT would follow, she respected ST enough to offer him a very coveted job and the compensation (camper) that he requested. One thing MY as over Juri is her honesty and candidness. She isn't afraid of arguing with GT in order to get through to him. GT isn't interested in Juri because she is a pick-me, willing to say and do whatever to try and be with him and that type of thing has marred him his whole life in dealing with the responsibility of his brother. I love the pace of this drama. The chemistry among the cast and the story line are top notch. Let's have fun with this one.

• Like 10
  • Love 3

On 7/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, mademoisellesia said:

Bit of nagging, they cast two great actresses (Joori's mother and the head nurse), it seems like they are a bit too under utilized at the moment. I hope they have more screen time with the main casts. The dynamics would be awesome I imagine.

I have the same thoughts about Kim Mi Kyung and Jang Young-nam.  They are both very talented and respected actresses and I'm surprised by how minor their characters are so far.  i'm hoping their roles will be more significant although given the large cast this might be difficult.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, enigmatic_zephy said:

Jealousy in love is not new.. look what MY did.. manipulated an autistic person.. she ain't any better than Juri.. she is 2 faced too, manipulates when she needs sthg.. or acts as a brat

it is not the responsibility of "normal" kids to understand not normal ones, while not normal ones go about doing whatever they want.. same as KT and ST..it cannot always be KT's responsibility

On 7/5/2020 at 7:06 PM, enigmatic_zephy said:

I was replying to a comment..

It is unfair to pin all the blame on Juri. 

And if you take this "this is their nature" .. that is a slippery road as far as logic goes...

then everyone in this world has their nature, including a serial killer

Then did KT ask her to follow him, why is she harassing him.. be careful of how you are arguing this. Your logic cannot be a one way street

I agree with your comments and it's nice to see more sympathetic comments about Ju Ri by posters on the thread.  I often read the thread before I watch an episode and I see some awful comment about Ju Ri even calling her the b-word and I will watch the episodes expecting something awful like she kicked a puppy and the worst thing she does is act a little bratty.  I feel there is a degree of projection going on because she is a second lead with a crush on KT who resents MY so people perceive her as the "enemy"  but so far I think she is a very relatable character and is a fundamentally nice girl.  She is a regular girl who awkwardly likes a guy, knows he isn't interested, aware she fades in the background compared to the glamorous diva writer who does whatever she wants. JR might be a little whiny or two-faced at times but so is everybody.  She hasn't done anything so bad to deserve the vitriol I have seen on here whilst MY's sexaul harassment, violence, lies, stalking, smoking in non-smoking areas (major pet peeve!), manipulation including manipulating an autistic person and various other questionable actions are excused.  Personality disorder or not doesn't give a person a free pas to do whatever they want.  As you quite rightly said that's a pretty slippery road to go down...

20 hours ago, choilicious said:

I want to bring up a couple of points. I actually like JR character quite a bit. I found her crying scene with the mother hilarious. I think the scene loses a little when you are not familiar with Korean language. It is a BIG DEAL in Korean culture for two people of opposite sex to talk casually to each other. It is probably the FIRST major milestone when you are dating. So it was perfectly understandable that she was so bummed about it. It was a very natural situation for a Korean. Secondly, the translation said that she did not have any friends growing up, but that is not accurate. The actual word they used was "wangdda", which means that she was bullied and picked on. So she did not have such a happy childhood growing up and probably desperately wanted a friend even if it was someone as weird as KMY. I think JR character deserves a bit more sympathy.

Thanks for translation about her background.  Poor Ju Ri.  No wonder she is so awkward and puts on a facade now :tears:

On 7/5/2020 at 7:06 AM, hwonhwon_stv said:

Found this from Twitter

KNETZ getting annoyed of us international fans accusing them of not watching It's Okay To Not Be Okay. They're even explaining to us the ratings

Thanks for sharing the K-netz reactions.  I can understand their annoyance as comments from international fans often come across as superior and patronising.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:14 AM, Samuel Yohanes said:

The rating for ep 6 is 5.65%

Fun fact... this is the first time the rating for sunday is higher than saturday for this drama

And yeah they top cable tv in their timeslot. 

Hopefully the trend from here on is going upward. Hopefully if its going well we can reach 8% or maybe 10% but right now stabilize in 5-6% is good enough. 

The drama may not be on everyone taste but we knew this was a masterpiece drama that well written so far

The reception has been real good so far i think it will help to bring more viewers later in the drama run.

That's really good to see there is an increase on Sunday bucking the drama's previous trend.  I think this weekend's tandem of episodes have been the most satisfying so far so I'm glad it's reflected in today's TV ratings.  Do you you know why TVN switched to Part 1/Part 2 ratings this week for the drama? I know SBS/MBC and KBS do this but I haven't seen TVN do this for a drama before.

• Like 5

I really really want to participate in the thread before but  I thought I have to read other pages but then I'm still on page 39! Haven't seen ep 4-6, I know I have to catch up.

I like the quotable quotes here on IONTBO. Would love to have those compiled. I need to watch til episode 6 before I can join the discussions.  

• Like 5

He will eventually find his true love, who isn't afraid of his blue beard and tells him it's okay to be different.

KT used to be like this...

86d595f1b52556be7daa5113ff84157c19b89445

Now look where we are.

19d22986c09bc617185078437f1c0636abfbdc15b35e9803dcc65130ef64adc0db4e57c01fd0d748

Cred. Tumblr (@kwakkitae))

This is what I call GROWTH.

• Like 9
  • Love 11

1 minute ago, blademan said:

He will eventually find his true love, who isn't afraid of his blue beard and tells him it's okay to be different.

KT used to be like this...

Now look where we are.

This is what I call GROWTH.

I love the present and where they are now.

Slowly but they'll get there. :dorakiss:

EcSK6gHUEAEmTCl?format=jpg&name=large

EcSK6gHUYAEFz2l?format=jpg&name=large

EcSK6gIUEAESL8I?format=jpg&name=large

Credit as shown.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Whoa. This night mode is something I need to get use to. It’s kind of hard to read in this mode for me :unsure: i mean, i notice we can’t read well if we quote someone because I had a hard time reading some of the passages others quoted to reply back to.

@Alice Wonderland lol, i agree. Children are indeed fearless and actually very curious. However, it is when adults plant things into their minds or do things to them that their mentality can begin to adjust or change. For example, MY and KT could have definitely grown up much more differently if their parents had raised them differently. Their mentality would not be as it is now. We as adults tend to do this kids whether we know it or not. Like you, I have to lie a bit here and there to get my nieces to listen because they wouldn’t believe it unless an adult tells them. Then next time, they remember it because it has been implemented into their mind already. This is why I believe it is the parents that caused the psychological trauma of both MY and KT.

@SweetButters haha we will need your xray vision to dissect KT too :D :P

———

One thing I found very interesting was the black and white BB cut at end of episode 6. KT is the hunchback guy. But as I remember, BB didn’t have such a character. And wasn’t a character like that used during execution times to toll the bell or something? Actually, reminded me of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Can this be another fairy tale connection? 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, uglypearl said:

Sorry if this is posted before. 

Speaking about GT and ST's mom's killer.

I get the feeling that the killer is one of MY's parents, most possible suspect is MY's mom.

When ST mentioned about the butterfly, it's a possibility that the killer wore an outfit with butterfly print design or an outfit that resembles of a butterfly, an outfit that could have that is a gown.

What is GT and ST's mom's connection with MY's parents?

There's a possibility that GT and ST's mom works in MY's mansion (probably as a servant or housekeeper) that's why GT and ST's mom was not always there with them. That's why she always tell GT to take care of ST.

Why MY's mom would kill GT and ST's mom?

Possibilities:

1. MY's mom suspects GT and ST's mom had an affair with MY's dad.

2. GT and ST's mom broke a rule, made an  unforgivable mistake, or didn't follow MY's mom's orders.

3. GT and ST's mom discovered  dark secrets from MY's parents. 

There's also a possibility that the MY's mom had already a mental illness. 

The reason that MY's father build a mansion for MY's mom is to hide her real condition to the public and media.

MY's mom was not on the right mind when she killed GT and ST's mom.

It's just theories.  I could be very wrong about this. 

Even I was thinking that! The way MY's mom keeps saying that she will kill that prince that will come to save her, so KT, I feel like there is something more to the story. 

I don't find it hard to believe that maybe MY's mom killed KT's mom because KT was getting too close to MY. Given the whole butterfly motif of the show, I definitely think for this show, butterfly symbolizes evil. That's why MY ripped them apart and ST is scared of them. High chances of the butterfly killer being MY's mom. That will increase the angst levels between MY and KT. 

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

Listen to "It's Okay To Not Be Okay" New OST "My Tale" by Park Won

ost-part-3-by-park-won-my-tale-for-k-dra

EcSdpUrVAAAa4rc?format=jpg&name=small

Moon Young's tough and lack of empathy is her defense mechanism as she tries to cover a painful past and to not to feel any more pain. But the thing is... she does get hurt and the times when she is alone, memories of her past strike her, accompanied by the pain she feels deep inside.

Kang Tae tried to neglect how she felt as for him - Sang Tae is his everything. But in Moon Young's world, she finds Kang Tae a person who gives her happiness, an obsession that cuts deep within.

read full article>>> https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/118316/20200706/listen-okay-new-ost-tale-park-won.htm

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Whoah... this is different. I could get used to this. ;)

I've been mesmerized by how the show magically frames the leads at the end of each episode. Not just a reminder that their fates are bound up with each other but that this is a fairytale in search of a princely hero.  But this most recent one was especially striking. It was undoubtedly my favourite because it showed progress in the monomyth. Intriguingly it took a nightmare for the leads to break down another barrier. After watching it for the umpteenth time, the Sleeping Beauty-Snow White combo gave me all kinds of feels. I did love how it was first played like a horror moment. A levitating malevolent spirit haunting the sleeping princess who had stepped into the forbidden room in her dream... as it turns out. MY, the sleeping princess is not in fear for herself but for her prince... her champion... her "safety pin", as she calls him.

The malevolent spirit is no outsider or uncontrollable force of nature but the spirit of MY's own apparently deceased mother who purports to be keeping her safe from the evils of the outside world but in actual fact imprisoned her  and left her ill-equipped to deal with the realities of the outside world. Hence the ASPD. She is symbolic of the anti-social because she was fashioned to be literally anti-social. Like the Sleeping Beauty of old who was poorly prepared to deal with the tragedies and evils of life. Hidden away in the forest from the world. Overprotective parents who mollycoddle their only child purportedly for their own good... smothering them , allowing them no freedom to become the people they are meant to be and to render them incapable of functioning in the big bad world out there.

In this Sleeping Beauty moment, the reluctant champion crosses into the threshold of his own volition to temporary dispel the malevolent spirit that haunts the princess. The enchantress it turns out is a damsel in distress. He has finally embraced (literally) the call to arms, the call to the biggest adventure/ challenge of his life. It wasn't a leap into the dark but the final step from the moment he walked past the gate and into the cursed castle. Little by little from wanting to save his brother from the dubious enchantress, seeking the advice of his Sage figure: Ju-ri's mother, entering her territory, pushing back the darkness incrementally... he firmly positions himself as her champion and protector when he tells Manager Lee that he is not budging. He vociferously refuses to. Gradually the penny drops for GT that there are all kinds of malevolent forces that surround MY. His words to Manager Lee are fighting words. A realization and a declaration of war. Putting himself between MY and Manager Lee because the latter is one of those demons that needs fending off... a parasite that's been feeding on her. (A reminder to me of the Journey to the West )

Of course the reality is that the adventure has only just become. There will be other trials and obstacles. I thought it was telling that GT said that his dream, as it were, was to travel with no particular destination in mind. Walking into the cursed castle, I imagine is the start.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 9.07.08 am

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 9.07.48 am

The tale of Sleeping Beauty at least recontextualized here confirms what I've suspected for a while that this show has deep concerns about parenting and parents. The long-term effects are profound. For good or for ill It isn't just Kwon Gi-do, MY and GT.

It just occurred to me too about The Boy Who Fed on Nightmares... where were his parents. On hindsight they are noticeably absent from the story. He had to go to a witch to get his treatment and support. Unless the implication is that the witch is the mother. I'm no expert and maybe it's because I'm reminded of DH Lawrence's Sons and Lovers but both TBWFON and Zombie Kid seem to have eerie Oedipal resonances. I'd also include GT and his mother into the mix. It can't be a coincidence either that the delusional ajumma who was featured in the last episode is a mother who can't let go.

So far it seems to me that the only person in main cast that had a functional upbringing would be Ju-ri. :P

• Like 10
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Whoa. This night mode is something I need to get use to. It’s kind of hard to read in this mode for me :unsure: i mean, i notice we can’t read well if we quote someone because I had a hard time reading some of the passages others quoted to reply back to.

haha, I love the new theme btw. You can change into evolution one, it looks even cooler and no eye strain! :lol:

This is why I believe it is the parents that caused the psychological trauma of both MY and KT.

As we see from the flashback memories that MY has, her mom and dad aren't normal. The mom keep telling her some thoughts that she's different from others and she shouldn't be friend other people too. And we also learned from the recent episode that when she eagerly to welcome KT who visit her with those flowers, her mom (probably, we can't see her face) stopped her. With this constant doctrine and shut her off from the social life slowly turned her developing some ASPD through times. Plus the trauma that caused by her dad who keep trying to kill her completes her mentality issues. 

Despite will all of those treatments she got from them, I am amazed that she still grow as normal as she can be. She didn't become like her parents, you can tell that she's perfectly sane if all those trauma healed. 

And now let's we discuss about ST and KT. I know ST autism doesn't stop him form living a normal life in his own. I guess with some independent practice, he can take care of himself well. Since kids, their mom used to make him to rely on his brother and somehow burdened KT as a result. In his young age, she has to take responsible as the mature adult and act like a guardian big brother for ST. I wonder if their mom choose a different method which teach both kids to do their work on their own while helping each other whenever facing some problems or difficulties. I guess ST wouldn't be this dependent and KT will also have his own privacy for himself. I don't mean to blame what mom did, I just try to think it could be better this way. 

Next we have JR, I think this is the first time I don't hate second FL which is a bit annoying here. She seems nice but will be super obnoxious when things don't go her way. I still see how spoiled she is when she cried over her one side love fail to mom. But I love her mom, she has such a great mom. I love how she calmed her with all her wise words. She didn't tell her to go for what she love with her best effort without giving her any wrong ideas. I respect for her mom!

haha we will need your xray vision to dissect KT too

ehm, KT has an obvious image that we can directly see with our bare eyes, :lol:

One thing I found very interesting was the black and white BB cut at end of episode 6. KT is the hunchback guy. But as I remember, BB didn’t have such a character. And wasn’t a character like that used during execution times to toll the bell or something? Actually, reminded me of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Can this be another fairy tale connection? 

I never really read the BB book but I know a bit of its story through dramas and some wikipedia reference. lol. And I'm not that familiar with this Hunchback and Notre Dame, but I think I've heard about it somewhere. Sounds like a barbie Notre Dame? no??? hahaha. 

But I like the bb at the ending, it is indeed scary but they also make it to be pretty much funny, do you see all their heads off and put into a display?? I thought what the hell? what this epilogue supposed to be? someone enlighten me please, cuz I'm a bit confused in this part. lol

opps, so long, hope I don't bore you ya :lol:

• Like 5
  • Love 2