[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

@hwonhwon_stv omg loved him in Dream High but the hair cut def doesn’t need to be repeated. :whytho:

Just love reading the other comments and theories and information too about the story and hidden meanings.

Aww such a great addition to my drama rotation! 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

What a a touching ep5 ending.:please:

I have so many feels. It caught me by surprised that he has known all this time that she is the same girl who saved him and from who he ran away. I like that he has known but he just decided to “forget” her. And at the end he finally decided to accept the reality and move fwd. 

Also, its really sad how her mom affected her potential friendships. Making her avoid other people. 

I like that ST will be with her living and working together. It will help them both fight their own fears and issues. By the way I don’t think that he is aggressive by nature. In the preview I think he was just trying to “wake up” her brother and defend his true belief or desire. And since he is like a kid... it was kinda a rant for being heard.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, hwonhwon_stv said:

From Twitter

This comment has an interesting analysis about the Moon brothers. And tonight, after witnessing Hyung hit KangTae during one of his violent episodes... This seems plausible

I am honestly very intrigued by this theory. It would be a very dark turn in the story but I think it can be done.  

I was really was surprised and hurt seeing Sang Tae hit Kang Tae in the promo. Confused also cause up until now Sang Tae has always had the cuteness on his side. So I tried to think maybe it's because he's drunk or we're missing some context. I trust the writers no matter which path they take but I'm really curious now. 

Also right now Sang Tae's crush on Moon Young is mostly comedic but I wonder if Kang Tae is starting to feel concerned about it? Like with the shirt scene. I wonder if he'll hold back so as not to make his brother jealous or upset.....

If they're going to make Sang Tae prone to violent fits then it has to be in a way that doesn't add stigma to people with autism especially cause people with autism are more prone to be victims of violence than to be violent themselves. 

Today's episode was another masterpiece. I really hurt for Kang Tae today. All his life his feelings and needs were disregarded and he had to accept it. His own mom told him that his purpose was to take care of his brother, ignoring the fact that he needs to be taken care of too. He needed to feel her love too.  And the saddest part about his situation is that any form of rebellion on his end would be cruel. How can he possibly leave his brother that depends so heavily on him for survival and not be ridden with guilt?

And thats why we know he secretly enjoys and desperately wants Moon Young around cause she sees him. She sees him, wants him, prioritizes him and most importantly understands him. And he understands her. Their bond is really so beautiful, I can't do justice to it with words. Their pain is so similar despite how they express it differently. They may challenge and irk each other a lot but at the core they know no one else can understand their soul better either. 

His words about becoming "forgetful" lately of his responsibilities were perfect to describe how his world is changing cause of Moon Young. And the hint of smile while looking at his scar, how worried he was that she was walking around alone at night, how he scolded her about leaving her wallet and keys not realizing he's done the same ugh!! perfect episode it had everything from humor to angst 

• Like 13
  • Love 3

6 minutes ago, glory said:

exactly! you said everything i wanted to say. i also don't think he was being necessarily violent as he kept saying "you lied. lying is bad. you deserve a beating."

Ikr. Well. I saw many typos I made captured in that quote. LOL. 

7 minutes ago, hwonhwon_stv said:

Oh, I miss Kim Soo Hyun in his 'Dream High' era

Aww.. :heartxoxo:for oppa! He smiles while he's dancing. Yup. I miss his sam dong of DH. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nodame said:

@hwonhwon_stv omg loved him in Dream High but the hair cut def doesn’t need to be repeated. 

Just love reading the other comments and theories and information too about the story and hidden meanings.

Aww such a great addition to my drama rotation! 

Yes, I really love him in 'Dream High' . My Song Sam Dong :blush:

10 Things I love about It's Okay to Not Be Okay (by Claire L. Brown)

It's Okay to not be Okay, started this past weekend on Netflix and TVN, produced by Studio Dragon, Story TV and Goldmedalist, it is a Romantic Drama a a whimsical fairy tale twist, staring Kim Soo Hyun in his first TV drama since returning from military service and Seo Ye Ji of Lawless Lawyer. 

This is a show I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I have to say the pre show hype did not disappoint.

So two episodes in, here are the ten things I love about this show so far

1.  Burton esq Whimsey

The show begins with a Tim Burton esq animation, reminiscent of the Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas, with a twisted tale to match.  The dark fairy tale and graphic characters of the animation are carried through in to the illustrations of Ko Moon-young's (Seo Ye Ji) children's books

I love how the animation isn't dark which makes some of its darker themes all the more impactful. 
It also sets up Ko Moon-young as a character beautifully, mixing her reality with that of the characters she creates in her books. 

2. Carers need care too

Moon Kang-Tae (Kim Soo Hyun) is the primary carer for his older brother Moon Sang-Tae (Oh Jung Se).  He works as a carer and has part time jobs to support their family and is at the forefront of caring for his brother, understanding and managing his mood swings, his whole life and his every choice revolve around caring for his brother. 

Being a carer is not an easy task, it can be draining, hard and unpredictable. While there are good moments, just like when Kang-Tae gives his brother a Dinosaur book and is warmed by how happy it makes him, there are hardships and so far its being shown in balance here which I find other drama's sometimes lack weighing too heavily on the negative or the positive in turn.  Kang-Tae is just as wounded as his brother and needs care and support which initially he appears to get from his friend Jo Jae Soo (Kang Ki-Doong). 

I'm interested to see how they progress the balance and healing the wounds that Kang-Tae has, my heart breaks every time he asks his brother whom he loves more and doesn't get the reply he yearns to hear. 

3. Seo Ye Ji  

I first came across this impressive actress in 2018's Lawless Lawyer opposite Lee Joon Gi and Choi Min So, two heavyweights I really admire.  She was impressive in how she held her own.  In 'It's Okay' she's really getting a chance to shine as a strong female lead.  She's powerful and confident and calls it like she is.  I love the book signing scene in Episode 2.  I'm really invested in seeing where her character arc takes her.

4. Kim Soo Hyun 

I really have a soft spot for Kim Soo Hyun as an actor.  He can play the dark a disturbing characters as in 'Real' and flip to soft loveable characters like Don Min Joon in 'My Love from the Stars'.  I love his work with Jun Ji Hyun in both 'My Love from the Stars' and 'Thieves' and wondered how his chemistry would be in this, but I think this will be a pairing that really works.   So far I'm impressed with his return and feel he made a great choice in this project. So far he's capturing the strength, loneliness and weariness of his character with great empathy and understanding. 

5. Oh Jung Se 

As Moon Sang-Tae, I've only recently come across Oh Jung Se while watching 'The Vampire Detective', but this role couldn't be more different and challenging.  Playing  Sang-Tae the elder brother  who has Autism Spectrum Disorder, he manages to convey the condition with warmth and depth.  I particularly love the musical like scene as he walks/dances towards the book signing in Episode 2 giving up a peak inside his mind and how when he's excited bright and cheerful the world can be.  He also brings depth in scenes when Sang-Tae is trying to figure out how to look cool which makes your heart break for him. 

6. Whimsical nature 

While it would be easy to get wrapped up an focus on the darker elements of the story, mixing with elements of whimsey such as the scene where Ko Moon-young becomes the fifty foot woman and tries to pluck Kang-Tae from the street because she wants him, or when the signs come to life for Sang-Tae as he runs joyously towards the book store. I'm curious to what effects and imagery they will come up with in the next episode.

7. Ko Moon-young's wardrobe 

I have closet envy!  The outfits chosen for Ko Moon-young, are perfect, they mix the eccentric, almost gothic style with a designer flair which fit the character perfectly.  Her clothing is bold and powerful but still feminine.  She looks as if you could pluck her out of 'It's okay' and put her in a film like Edward Scissor hands and she would be a perfect fit.  As Moon-young tells a young fan "In all my fairy tales the witch is always the one that's pretty" and the carful crafted style fits this perfectly - how could you not want to be a Pretty Witch!

8. Something hiding in the darkness

There's a darker back story just waiting to seep through the pages - we have already had hits of the darkness in the past of all three main characters.  There's definitely more to the relationship between Ko Moon-young and her father, who or what are the butterflies that terrorised Sang-tae and what really happened to their mother?  Also what really happened to the father in Episode one and how is that going to ensnare our leads?

9. Story within a story 

I love how the stories in Ko Moon-young's books tie in to the live action, linking and bleeding through the story. The books are almost a character in themselves, binding the main leads in both the real word and the book world as they hint at elements of back story and personality traits.  I could see a definite spin off in books from this series which would do well.

10. That next episode anticipation

A sign of a really good show to me, is when I'm walking that tight rope of bouncing up and down like an excited five year old waiting for the next episode and wanting to extend that anticipation because I don't want it to end.  It's that pit of your stomach excitement that drags you to the couch finger poised dying to press play and I know that's where I'll be sitting come this weekend...

https://myifeasawriterwhennotscribbling.blogspot.com/2020/06/10-things-i-love-about-its-okay-not-to.html?fbclid=IwAR0E7

IMG_5654.jpg?type=w800

IMG_6388.PNG?type=w800

107041340_1194678970892242_5618166110232

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Hi I am new here, not sure if I have posted my comment correctly haha

anyway does anyone here know the background music for episode 5? The scene whereby MKT called KMY asking her where his brother is? The last 7 05 mins of episode 5?

• Like 3

@hwonhwon_stv omg great article to share with us!

Yes loved that drama Dream High! He is so versatile and talented. Always loved KSH great instincts and acting

Def love MY fashion so much I am following the IG account documenting her wardrobe - a first for me.

SYJ just lives and breathes MY, you go through a rollercoaster and myriad of emotions in every episode! I am loving the ride!!!!! A refreshing change from some current frustrating dramas.

• Like 5

@glory For me the Romeo + Juliet reference was just for their positioning re MY on the balcony as J and KT coming to see her re R at her house at the end of the episode. MY looked soooo beautiful in the scene. I think the hint at dark ending is intentional mood for the ending scene but not the drama ending like that ... it’s not a ‘healing drama’. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, kkwengsoyy said:

I thought so too. The idea crossed my mind but I was a bit confused. Isn't it Mun Yeong's mom already dead I assume from episode 4 with all the blood spilt on the floor 

Just a theory, when Joori went to visit MY in her hotel room in the city to get her to sign for her dad's surgery, MY said she registered for her mom's death. Joori said but her mom's not dead. They haven't seen each other since they were little so how does Joori know MY's mom is not dead? I'm guessing is that MY's mom has been at the OK hospital. Which is also why I think there were scenes of someone watching MY at the hospital and the hospital president offered MY to teach a class in exchange to take her dad out for a walk or asked Joori if she's friends with MY. He may know more about MY than he's letting on. 

As for the blood spilling, I'm guessing since the patient had multiple old scars on her wrist, she must have attempted suicide many times in the past. If she really is MY's mother, my guess is she attempted suicide many times in the cursed castle and caused MY to see her mother's "death" repeatedly. Which is why there were scenes of young MY looking at blood spill or looking at a lake in the same way or seeing her mom's ghost in the cursed castle right above her bed. And maybe her mom's last attempt was by drowning and MY watched it happen, which is why there was that scene of her at the lake and maybe that's why her father called her a monster and tried to kill her.

Or she's not MY's mother but is there to introduce another character/cameo who will bring lots of interesting scenes and laughter. This drama is fun to guess what's going to happen next. 

Edited by Msgreentea
  • Like 9

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting in this thread, tho I've been reading your comments since last week. I was trying really hard to wait until this drama finishes so I could binge it. But I failed :facepalm:

I just finished the first episode and it's so good! Ugh. It gave me all kinds of feelings. Will watch the rest this afternoon, so I can watch episode 6 tonight. Excited to see your comments!

:dorashakes:

• Like 12
  • Love 2

I don't think this will be as romantic as what it looks - just based off their expressions. I wish he can slowly soften his approach towards her...at this point it just looks exhausting - for both of them.

:cry::heartbreak:

EcIu38PUYAA0IlO?format=jpg&name=smallEcIu38QVAAEPy_G?format=jpg&name=smallEcIu38QUYAAyB_X?format=jpg&name=small

Cred. Naver

More stills:

Spoiler

optimize

Cred. Naver

GOSH are they bribing him again??!!

Edited by blademan
  • Like 15
  • Love 4

It’s 11pm for me. After a long day of BBQing preparation and fireworks, I turned on episode 5 on my phone with earphones in. 

Was smiling so much at the scene where MY and KT are eating together because finally they have a proper meal together and then cut to the humming scene at OK Psychiatry and now this is me:

source.gif

Please..if I ever land a job that was built on an old burial ground:

tenor.gif

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1
  • LOL 10

@hwonhwon_stv thanks for sharing the Korean viewer’s post and it has some truths. Many international fans assume and generalize too much about Korea and maybe write unintentionally things that come across as terrible and insensitive for Korean viewers. It is good reminder but yet I am surprised at the angry tone and disagree on this one bit: it is not true that international fans won’t understand things because we aren’t Korean or not living there - we are all humans and there are many things that transcends nationality since they are human nature and conditions. 

@vangsweetie637 I grew up living right by cemeteries and am not afraid for the most part but some ‘Creepy’ scenes in this drama still makes me hold my breath and jump 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

K-netizens’ reactions to “It’s Okay to Not Be Okay Episode 5”

Kim Soohyun and Seo Yeji met again at the Cursed Castle

Original post: Naver TV

[+954,-8]Moon Young is not a psycho…

[+823,-6]I wonder what did her mom tell her? Cause she was smiling when she saw him but then she told him to get lost at the end

[+736,-5]The past and present overlapping freaked me out, I got goosebumps…

[+696,-8]Doesn’t she look so pretty wearing that white top and looking down like that…? She must be a Goddess

[+551,-5]In the past, Kang Tae didn’t dare to open the door and Moon Young couldn’t see him cause of her mother… I wish they’ll find happiness now

[+449,-7]It looks like Romeo and Juliet…

[+428,-7]I sobbed out of pity when I saw that Moon Young was smiling when she was heading to see Kang Tae when they were younger 

[+405,-6]No, Moon Young has been waiting for someone to save her but because of her mom, she turned him down, I feel so sorry for her

[+403,-5]That last scene of Moon Kang Tae and Ko Moon Young looking at each other is subtle 

[+375,-5]It was all because of her mom, Moon Young used to like Kang Tae back then too

[+289,-4]Seriously, each episode in this drama is legendary

[+276,-4]The directing and script are just perfect

b120206866_epi0005_25_b.jpg?w=640

Kim Soohyun, Do you know Seo Yeji’s ‘Cursed Castle’?

[+731,-4]He knew her but he pushed her on purpose

[+618,-1]Woah, this is crazy!! Kang Tae knew who she was 

[+576,-1]Woah, what’s happening? How long has he known?… So did he know when he said he wanted to forget about her ad they were lying down in his room ?…

[+457,-2]Kang Tae, you knew everything from the very beginning that’s why you avoided and pushed her more on purpose, right?

[+382,-1]Woah, so he really knows, seriously woah… When is tomorrow’s episode coming out 

[+313,-2]Kang Tae knew?!!! How long has it been since he noticed…?????

[+282,-1]Crazyㅠㅠㅠㅠ

[+277,-2]F***ing crazy! Hurry up and date

[+253,-2]Seriously, I’m getting goosebumps woah!

[+251,-1]Goosebumps… Then he knew everything from the beginning…?

b120206866_epi0005_24_b.jpg?w=640

Seo Yeji vs. Park Kyu Young fighting over Kim Soohyun

[+669,-11]In this case, both of them were wrong .. Moon Young talked a little bit too much and Joori slapped her on the cheek..

[+533,-4]Shows you how a person explodes if you touch their wounds..

[+460,-9]Why is he only calling Moon Young when Joori hit her firstㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Is it cause he’s only interested in Moon Young

[+375,-1]No one’s caring about Moon Young getting hurt she’ been beaten and even strangled last time

[+344,-6]I need more scenes of Moon Young cursing, it’s a pleasure to watch ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

[+267,-1]Woah that’s cruel

[+263,-12]Why would she slap her on the cheek?

Kim Soohyun forgets everything because of Seo Yeji “My scars, butterfly… and even my brother”

[+666,-5]No but isn’t that friend so funny? He was like “are you reminiscing? Do you miss it or something”

[+420,-2]You’ll keep thinking about Ko Moon Young, she’ll Keep coming to your mind!

[+399,-2]Kang Tae’s scared cause he feels like he got caught in front of Moon Youngㅠㅠ

[+317,-2]His acting, voice, eyes, face, shoulders are all amazing!

[+303,-2]You can do that, it’s fine… We sometimes forget about our surroundings and think about ourselves in life… But it’s sad that Kang Tae feels guilty about it

[+270,-1]It seems like Kang Tae loves Moon Young already

[+172,-1]Yes… Yes… Let’s think about Moon Young a lot from now on

[+166,-1]That’s what love is

[+164,-1]ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Kang Tae is affectionate, his friend is cute and this drama is driving me crazy!

b120206866_epi0005_20_b.jpg?w=640

• Like 16
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hwonhwon_stv said:

Found this from Twitter

KNETZ getting annoyed of us international fans accusing them of not watching It's Okay To Not Be Okay. They're even explaining to us the ratings

That's one reason I do not like to comment much on ratings because it doesn't really reflect on the real situation.    

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2