[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

1 hour ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

What is making me uncomfortable is that the official synopsis has given KMY the clinical diagnosis that she has antisocial personality disorder (ASPD). Has the show already said that? I have been doing some reading about this disorder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

https://www.everydayhealth.com/antisocial-personality-disorder/treatment/

Perhaps this show wants to make the point that  there is a spectrum of mental problems, and we are all on a spectrum of normalcy. I can understand that. However, realistically, from a medical point of view, it seems like this kind of personality disorder (ASPD) is very difficult to treat. People with this disorder often have other mental illnesses. They cannot empathise or feel pain. In relationships, they are selfish, abusive and manipulative, and are unable to feel remorse. It is all about them. I hope that it turns out what she has is just a behavioural problem/ emotional issues caused by her parents that she can outgrow, and not a clinical problem. ASPD is not like schizophrenia that you can take drugs for. (cf, the show "Its Okay, that's Love")

KT is such a lovely person and already burdened with having to take care of his (very lovely!) brother. We can talk about love conquering all in a kdrama, but a long term relationship with someone with a personality disorder is not what I would wish for a friend. It is very difficult.  Marriage is hard enough even with someone who is "normal".

I've also been reading up on ASPD quite a bit since starting this show and this is the conclusion I've come to for now (this is purely from my PERSONAL research & reads on those with ASPD so if anything is inaccurate please let me know):

• ASPD falls on a very broad spectrum & the behaviors of someone ranges greatly depending on how serious/intense their condition is.
  • ASPD is still under-researched and isn't something that has been truly & deeply understood on all levels. Also meaning that there seems to be a general stigma around the fact that those with ASPD completely lack the ability to empathize and also love (I'm only mentioning these 2 emotions as I find them to be the most relevant to Moon Young).
  • I've read that although the feelings of love & empathy might be considered rare for someone with ASPD, it honestly varies on where they are on that spectrum, once again.
    • Some with ASPD can feel empathy, but very rarely or the feelings of empathy aren't very strong. Additionally, there's also cognitive empathy (when you can recognize & understand someone else's feelings) vs. affective empathy (when you can actually feel someone else's feelings & have shared emotional experiences with said person). Some with ASPD can only feel cognitive but not affective empathy, again, depending on a lot of different factors, while some can feel both to varying degrees.
    • As for love, I've read that it is completely possible for someone with ASPD to fall in love, but it only happens with people they bond with. So if there's no bond, they are just essentially using the other side.

I apologize for the whole spiel but that's just what I've come to understand after doing a little reading on those with ASPD (very enlightening & highly recommend to better understand Moon Young & her tendencies along with others who have ASPD). Kdramas make anything happen so I'm sure true & organic love between Moon Young & Kang Tae isn't entirely impossible (& also not medically inaccurate?). Again, please add on or call me out if you are more educated on this topic because I would love to be more informed! 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm all in for this drama. I thought it will be difficult to move on from Hospital Playlist, but this drama is something else. It's exactly my type. More importantly, I am glad that they decided to tackle a very a tricky topic to handle. I just hope that they can handle this very well. 

• Like 10

Hello, loves!

So happy to see sooooo many people discussing the series! :wub:

I easily got used to the two epsidoes one after the other, and just this morning realised that there is no episode today. :tears:

adore the fact that this thread is getting so many comments, it's super interesting to read & gives a new perspective to the drama. Thank you all! :w00t:

• Like 7

Okay before I shared my thought of 2nd episode let me highlight this part first. KMY is just so fun! Hahaha. The aegyo she did never lose her style! I am glad that they have such a good humor amidst the serious plot. 

Despite of the grotesque illustration or MY's antisocial disorder behavior the media pictured into her image, her books sold out and her fans are quite many even she's 'just' writing a children story. It means she is really talented and skilled. Her fans are coming from all ages. Her books are not this typical children's fairytale and she puts more good stuffs in it so the adutls also liking the books.

The famous you are, the more critics you'll get. Because she's so popular so the spotlight is on her. Every actions she makes will always be judged for both good and bad. I think all the viral video footages combined with the recent ones are not completely her fault. Some are at fault yes but not all. Well she shouldn't make the situation worse but she decided to take the risk and help MT from that situation. They pointed a finger over her for having mental problem. But those people there seems like to be pretty unemphatic. I am glad that MY steps in to stop those family fans. What she did to them are like what they did to poor ST. They don't even see that he is a bit different. If they don't act rashly and hit ST, he could ask some help of the guard without hitting him first. I know he's panic and being defensive to peotect his family from him but it's too much. 

Looking how the deuchebag reporter tries to harass her. Offf.. I hate how he looked at her with those disgusting eyes! Yikes. I am so happy when MY throws him down with a tip of her finger. Hahahaha. That serves him well!

I am interested with MY past and the butterfly behind the murder case of MT's mom. This drama has lots of things to explore aside from the mental issues itself. It also provides backstory which will be one by one be sliced out to the open along the way. I like how the tale we heard from the beginning was actually the story about her past. And I sensed that story help MT to recognize her and recall their past. 

I wonder did ST remember her so he told her she reminds her of his crush in the past or not? And it's refreshing that the role is reversed here. It's usually the guy who tries to woo the girl but this time she's the one who tremendously chasing for him. And she does it with graceful manner. Everytime they're just an inch apart, the tension is so real! They have really good chemistry. Moon Tae-ya don't cover your handsome face, MY said right. We need to see you clearly. :lol:

Oh the preview looks more interesting. Can wait to see more. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I love this drama!

It just went in and grabbed me without any hesitations.

Both leads have issues which are totally serious but at the same time make them so human.

Who doesn't have issue sin real life?

I think I've found my crack. Thanks drama gods!

• Like 8

After watching episode 2 and thinking back, so wait is Mun Yeong’s mother alive or dead?

When the nurse went to get her signature for the father’s surgery, they had a conversation and she said, “but your mother is alive” and MY goes to declare that she is an orphan (more like they are dead to me) but I think she could still be alive but not able to move physically? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

This drama is fire!! I was so excited I watched the livestream and the subbed version immediately after. 

I could write a whole post but I will summarise it with:

1. Seo Ye Ji's voice is killing me! :wub:

2. The cinematography and OST are excellent and have helped me get into the story more than I would have. I especially appreciated the depiction of happiness from the POV of Sang Tae as he went for the autograph event.

3. Seo Ye Ji's voice!!  I feel things running up my spine when she's talking and goading Kang Tae! lol

4. I actually feel the weight of both their emotional burdens. This is especially important because the drama can easily end up being a photo shoot for two hot people if there is no depth to the story. 

Moon Young was emotionally damaged by her mum (you are a monster!) and seems to have been abandoned. This can easily be a shallow character trope, but her character depiction gives it some depth and I am invested in her healing. The way she goes on the rampage at work and autograph events, how she deals with people and how people react to her can be clearly traced to her background, which made me feel for her character. 

I especially appreciated the scene where  Moon Kang Tae looked exhausted that shows what a burden it is for him to take care of his brother. I think that was important for me to be able to get behind his character than for the writer to take the usual route of expecting that we should feel pity on him because he is caring for an Autistic brother. I feel empathy for his burden and I just want him to finally relax.

Carers bear a heavy weight of the illness that they are helping to treat, and I believe that support for carers (psychological and monetary) should be factored into the cost of healthcare especially in countries aiming for universal healthcare.

5. The STARING CONTESTS!! Moon Young and Kang Tae spent a whole lot of time staring at one another and it was ridiculously hot, erotic, at the same time emotionally engaging. The staring wasn't just there to titillate the audience into accepting that they will be together because they are the leads. It was linked to the caring nature of Kang Tae with his Butterfly Hug and the powerplay by Moon Young with her cigarette dunking scene and her Butterfly Hug comeback about facing trauma directly.

6. Seo Ye Ji's voice is my welfare!:sweatingbullets:

7. I really hope their kiss scene is worth the wait.

8. The book reading scene at the hospital in Episode 1 where she screams into the mic then coughs. OMG I DIED!! hahahahaha!! hilarious!!

• Like 12
  • Love 8

Hi, am new to this thread.

I’m absolutely loving this drama. The mystery is so interesting.i initially thought she had a trauma when she was young but it looks like along with that we may have a murder mystery too. Things are getting soooo interesting. 

and also, the chemistry is just wow. When MY and KT were staring at each other and he looked at her lips...I was silently screaming for him to kiss her. But I guess I will have to wait for that. 

• Like 12
  • LOL 1

Since you've mentioned this first kiss, I really do hope MKT kisses her and shows his dominant side. So far, we have her stalking him and being super assertive and seemingly obsessed with him. I really want him to put her on her place & to shut her mouth, overdominating her. If you know what I mean. :D 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Hahahaha,  "Sang-Tae Oppa  (line )..........with the Wink-e" :kiss_wink:

I love both KMY and Moon Sang-Tae narration version.!! I repeat it many times.

But how on earth ... (after several meetings and full 2 episodes) MKT still cannot get KMY's autograph?? :D

Oh my,  our 2nd female lead is an Angel !! Nam Joo Ri is a cutie, and our first female lead has.... some kind of a villain characters? LOL. That's OK, this is super fun drama. What if Moon Young admitted herself to OK Mental Hospital to be with Kang Tae Oppa, this is gonna save her image and her book company. A smart move .... I think:grimace:??

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

I really really love how seamless this drama is.  Episode 2 the lady in red shoes.  The scene changes are effortlessly blended with clever story telling.  The way the bus ride moved from the past recounted in the mind of KT (his mother’s death) and then back to the present with him sending JuRi off at the bus terminal.  It’s just beautifully done.

The world in the mind of a person with mental issues is just as real as that of a “normal” person.  It’s just a different perspective.  Someone with autism would find all the sounds and other sensory stimuli which a normal person can just block out, totally overwhelming.  They don’t have the ability to shut it out.  Everything is louder, bigger, more dangerous.  But on the flip side, it is also beautifully simple.  When ST was moving through the real world and he sees umbrellas, balloons, raindrops.  All real and visible to him but not us.  Similarly MY, she just wanted to pick KT up like an object to keep in her pocket.  It was a possibility her mind could conceivably entertain.

MY made choices with total objectivity.  Do I save him?  Do I not?  Twice she did this.  Once when KT was in the water as a child.  And again at the book signing (she stepped in).  Loved the Parasite references when the parents and child did the interview.  Were they the parasite?  Leeching off the popularity of MY for their shot in the limelight?

KT is like an obsession to MY.  Like the story about the girl and the red shoes.  She was so obsessed with it that nothing else mattered.  Even when her legs were chopped off, they continued to dance with the shoes.

I am looking forward to Ep3 and more reveals about the butterfly... is it a tattoo of the murderer that ST remembers?  

• Like 14
  • Love 1

Very interesting so far, it is keeping intrigued and its slightly odd twists and turns.

Lots of tantrums and yelling and screaming by everyone it seems. haha

I will have to say, Ep2, this is such a hot outfit or ensemble that she is wearing. It kills me. :love:

nlcUUH4.png

CmqE8Cp.png

• Like 7
  • Love 4

Hello all!

I've already watched first two eps & I think i just found a drama to watch after a long time! I really love both the leads & Oh Jung Se, specially! Kim Soo Hyun is so handsome & fresh! Seo Ye Ji is something special I've seen in a K-drama lately! I love the fact that she is not naive & weak & all that! She has a strong personality to begin with! :) So I am looking forward to see how she falls for him & vise versa!

And adding some love to this thread.. Our new stress reliever! :wub:

EbDEVoQUYAI9H8Y?format=jpg&name=large

EbDEXXIU4AEFI9x?format=jpg&name=large

EbDEjJ6U4AAM5ZW?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 10
  • Awesome 2

I was confused with the title as it was similar to the Gong Hyo Jin's It's Okay, That's Love.:lol: 

I guess this is the drama that Soo Hyun did to appease Hotel Del Luna fans?! The vibe's similar.. I read how most felt it was like a Tim Burton movie. For me it was very much like the movie The Shape of Water. And even the TV series Pushing Daisies. Anyway all have this dark humor as a common thread.

I live for Ye Ji's sass and wardrobe. Man Wol has competition.:P LoL at his friend who told him he looked like the Joker when he smiled!

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

LoL at his friend who told him he looked like the Joker when he smiled!

And both him & the patient who told him that his smile disgusts them. Still can't get over this... :D 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, stella77 said:

After watching episode 2 and thinking back, so wait is Mun Yeong’s mother alive or dead?

When the nurse went to get her signature for the father’s surgery, they had a conversation and she said, “but your mother is alive” and MY goes to declare that she is an orphan (more like they are dead to me) but I think she could still be alive but not able to move physically? 

Maybe ... since she described her mother as 

"physically died a long time ago, however her soul is still alive" --> could also be in a coma?

"I registered her death a long time ago" --> She might also be hospitalised somewhere..

We're still in the first week .... a lot more backstory need to be told ....  

p.s I need to find a longer version of characters' description. @stroppyse could you please translate this info about MY's mother. Thank you.

Spoiler

도희재 (문영의 어머니, 범죄추리 소설가)

우정원

짧은 시간에 베스트셀러 작가로 성공하면서 존재감을 세상 밖으로 알린다. 글을 쓰면서 남편에겐 좀 소홀했을지언정, 딸의 양육에 관해서만큼은 혼신을 쏟았다. 인생의 전부인냥 보듬고 사랑했다. 5년 간 연재하던 〈서쪽 마녀의 살인〉 시리즈의 마지막 권을 탈고한 그날 밤. 그녀는 남편이 건축한 ‘숲속의 성’에서 흔적도 없이 사라진다. 세월이 흐르면서 자동 사망처리가 된 그녀의 행방은... 여전히 미스터리다.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 1