Quantcast

[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

@larus Thanks for the Drama Beans recap post YESH. Always appreciate your posts btw.

@starrynic Aww thanks for the kind words.

@ck1Oz Thanks for responding back and sharing. :heart3:

-I do agree that though the actor for JH was great, the script totally face palm. (I think another drama gave me total upset PLOT lines was "Born Again." Major eye roll for me-started out well and ended up horribly. (Great acting there too and what were they thinking plot?!)

-I read that somewhere in this forum, someone said that two writer nims were on this drama---no WONDER! I love your description heaving bosom American romance novel (LOL I admit I am a fan of those novels growing up.) I don't know how bad the translations can be for you to read--- but yeah def cheesy.  (the have breakfast and then go---was accurate). LOL I cannot remember the others right now offhand.

-I always appreciated your thoughts and I for one like all comments good and bad. As I get to see perspectives I might miss or not see. So always appreciate them.

Spoiler

Thanks for sharing. I am in Massachusetts, our state is actually not one of the crazy ones----we have a good state governor. Though we are fully re opened in three phases, I don't feel confident to go out all the time and eat out confidently with rise of of COVID19 cases even in Asia. So for me, it is keeping mainly at home and limiting outings and interactions with others. I work alone so live alone---right there the daily interactions is with strangers on the bus I take to get to work and to get home. I feel bad for the families as well for the front line workers dealing with those NON mask believers or people putting themselves in risky situations putting our healthcare workers in jeopardy for their not mindful actions. Since I cannot trust others around me to want to keep me safe and healthy, the only way I can do it is limit my interactions and I still grocery shop 1x every 2 to 3 weeks.

Please stay safe yourself and take care. I look forward to seeing you around in other forums. 

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 5
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"You meet the person in a place where you thought you would never meet anyone. And you end up meeting the person anyway even when it's impossible. And it makes you think it's a miracle. That's what it

Starting a theory that Gun-Woo is actually Loki, the trickster god, in disguise.   He serves no purpose in the drama other than to create chaos. He was the first person to show Jae-Hyeok a p

Caught the finale last night and over all crammed a lot in the last episode.   -JH healing with Keanu (though JH was frustrating---the actor was so good) I think he should have paid for his

@ck1Oz 

2 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

JJH had such an unsupportive family/GW. Callous remarks on GW's part after the accident. Circumstances potrayed and actions by the 2 psychiatrists characters just made me wince. I would never approach a volatile situation like KHK did pre- accident. Dumb and truly dangerous. Don't do that anyone- approach an emotionally labile situation and do not a rapport with the person. That's all I have to say.

And oh yeah, let WDH kill KHK by screaming his name and shaking his neck like that.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the above. I seriously don’t understand the logic and it really didn’t make sense at all. I cringed when GW yelled at JH in the hospital room. He must have truly loved HK though. Plus, how was HK able to survive that accident with only 2 broken ribs? I’m happy that they didn’t make him be in a coma for longer or have him be amnesiac, but they could have easily made the crash a lot less severe? It’s really hard to believe. 

2 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

KHK in the initial episodes had a personality switch or the writer forgot who his/ her ( what gender is the writer? ) male lead was.

I was rewatching the first episode and thought the exact same thing too. The HK in the earlier episodes is smart and kind, but comes off snobbish and arrogant to people who didn’t know him well. Because he closes himself to people. What with his mom leaving him when he was a child and being dumped a bit too casually by his first love. 

The only reason why I could think of about his personality change is that, from his past relationship with NE, he has learnt that being overly considerate can put a strain on a relationship. And since meeting and loving DH, he is no longer holding back with his emotions. It could also be because of his job, he is required to be unbiased, non judgmental and always be in control of his own feelings, I feel like with NE, his job spilled over to his relationship with her. With DH, he can be just who he is. I also think that the writers want us to feel that his love for DH is so strong and powerful that with her he can no longer suppress himself. 

Remember in one of the earlier episodes, HK was drinking with GW at his studio and he was telling him how he met a girl who made him ramble on about himself and GW replied in surprise that that girl was dangerous? That’s exactly what the writers want us to feel, DH made HK comfortable enough to be himself again. With his job and the failed relationship with NE he had suppressed himself too much. 

I agree in the last episode he really was Mr Cheesy but I loved every minute of it. Maybe he was Mr Cheesy all along! The quirky ray of sunshine DH was brought it out in him. That’s why they were meant to be. It was destiny. 

2 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

And the " take me " translations scenes? I started laughing so hard that the romance was lost. The subs

I thought the subs were odd and off too. So do please tell what did it actually mean?

• Like 5

@starrynic " -Be responsible. Take responsibility for me "

"- I will take responsibility."

I presume you know what that mean? 책임 duty, obligation ( to) 

All I could " see " after the translations for " take me, take me." Is the follow on " I am all yours " and she throws herself onto the guy. Like a romance novel of yore right? She even did the beating his chest helplessly uttering " 나쁜놈 you jerk, you jerk. "  Hahaha it was funny just thinking about it.

Ok enough joking. I am off to do stuff for the day. SSH was seriously handsome. And the female lead has a truly soothing and expressive voice. She should narrate documentaries.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@ck1Oz Thanks! Now I get it lol. Yes haha that scene was indeed like a romance novel of yore hahaha but we all know Ah Yeong has always been brazen and loud. So I didn’t put it past her if she had meant “take me” in the literal sense hahahah. Though I know the translation must be off because they can’t possibly mean that on national TV. Thanks again!

Yes, SSH is so handsome. I love him as Kim Hae Kyung. He’s the most perfect boyfriend. Ever. Oops I think I’ve mentioned this more than a few times here. Haha. SJH was really wonderful as WDH too. I only started watching CLOY and my, what a huge contrast between Seo Dan and WDH! This only means one thing, SJH is really dang good at her job!  

• Like 5
4 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

.....I actually wrote several replies the last couple of weeks but did not post. The comments sounded too discouraging.

There were things I tried not to post about, too, although I supposed I did make my unhappiness known.  Thanks for stating the facts. 

And.....

Spoiler

Please take good care; try not to let it overwhelm you.  I'm on the US on the Gulf Coast where there have been high infection numbers ever since NOLA stupidly refused to cancel Mardi Gras and Florida didn't cancel Spring Break idiocy.  I live in the corridor between the two--folks here got hit hard with infection thanks to tourists, interstate travelers, and people who keep vacation homes in this area.  I've actually been ill since April.  It is not fun.  

2 hours ago, starrynic said:

@ck1Oz 

.....Plus, how was HK able to survive that accident with only 2 broken ribs? I’m happy that they didn’t make him be in a coma for longer or have him be amnesiac, but they could have easily made the crash a lot less severe? It’s really hard to believe..... 

I have been biting my tongue and trying very hard not to comment on this medical "miracle" because the physical damage should have been severe.  He was hit hard by that car.  His femur and possibly hip should have been broken, possibly tib and fib, too.  He also hit his shoulder and arm on the windshield--more breakage likely as well as dislocation, and let's not forget spinal injuries and collarbone damage.  Broken ribs usually mean other internal organ damage (liver, spleen) from the sharp ends of the bone and they usually also result in a collapsed lung.  And what about that head wound?  No concussion?  No stitches?  Really?  

I'm not even a medical person and I know about the damage that can be caused.  How could the writers gloss it over?

• Like 4

@thistle, I think in real life HK should be dead or critically ill with slow recovery. The impact sounded excruciating. Only in drama these sorts of injuries could are glossed over. Maybe except Hospital Playlist. There were quite a few traffic accidents deaths in that show.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@thistle, I think in real life HK should be dead or critically ill with slow recovery. The impact sounded excruciating. Only in drama these sorts of injuries could are glossed over. Maybe except Hospital Playlist. There were quite a few traffic accidents deaths in that show.

Exactly what would happen in real life.  And I also forgot to mention that DH could have killed HK when she lifted his head; if his neck had been broken, he would be toast.

I missed Hospital Playlist somehow.  Bad me.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

@celebrianna @thistle Exactly. That’s why I thought they could have easily rectified that unbelievable accident by making it less severe, maybe HK could have been hit but the car managed to brake in time and just hit him a little? But no, they want to make it so intensely melodramatic by having a bloody him lie motionless in DH’s arms. So as to improve ratings? A better cliffhanger? 

Spoiler

@thistle So sorry to hear that you’ve not been well. Please take care. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

There were a lot of positives and negatives with the 2 final episodes. On one hand, we got to see DH take more charge with her fate by acknowledging her past and overcoming it to understand the value of her present relationship with HK. The second last episode was medically unrealistic but this was expected, that short PTSD situation with DH was inaccurate, if only PTSD could instantly be cured by a kiss in the real world how nice would that be??? LOL. I think the final episode was a little anticlimactic like people were saying, there were soo many better things they could've used to fill up the time (DH and HK getting married, starting on their honeymoon, maybe show us a pregnancy?) but instead they gave us more NE and JH, and SR and the PD's relationship was kind of a late addition to the plot. Even the hint at a Byung-Jin+GW pairing seemed very inconsistent, like as if they had to reinforce the point/idea tht GW was a gay character by throwing him with Byung-jin at the end since his story took a backseat in comparison to other characters; idk about you guys but Byung-Jin was portrayed in a way that suggested he was straight for most of this show, so it just didn't make sense unless they're trying to make him seem bisexual. If y'all remember earlier in the show, he left his investigation of HK's dinner mate in order to go to a mixer to meet girls. He was also knocked speechless by DH's beauty when she pulled up to HK's clinic after GW gave her a makeover; again there is the suggestion that he is completely heterosexual. I wish they gave GW's character more depth and actually paired him with a male character that makes sense, the Byung-jin and Sora pairing had a lot more untapped potential. Another thing, It really felt like they went over-budget with the show so they chose to show less care in how it was executed. Still, some plot holes that wouldn't have cost much were missing. Like, they had HK propose twice and in both cases there is no ring, really? The first proposal made HK seem thoughtless when his character was never written in that way, I get that he desperately just wants to tie the knot with her but this is really off-character...well, at least the second time was romantic. I understand DH is simple but we viewers wanted to see the whole nine yards. Also, DH still never verbally expressed her love for HK for us viewers which would've been nice but I understand that she didn't have to prove it at this point after all of her actions in caring for HK. I knew the sexy-time was gonna be a troll situation but I'm at peace with it, it was just so adorable and funny at the same time that I couldn't be mad at that. Overall, the thing that made me okay with how it ended was the AY+ Keanu love-line and the banmal/aegyo between HK and DH, the writers were spot on in how they showed the progression of their relationship over a year and how both characters have grown in their own right. Now let me get back and replay the cute SJH and SSH scenes to giggle some more, their chemistry is the stuff made of dreams. :hypehype:

3 hours ago, thistle said:

Exactly what would happen in real life.  And I also forgot to mention that DH could have killed HK when she lifted his head; if his neck had been broken, he would be toast.

I missed Hospital Playlist somehow.  Bad me.

Yeah, as a medical professional I cringed when I saw that. That's a big no-no when dealing with those type of injuries, not adjusting the head so drastically and maintaining spinal alignment is key or else you risk increasing chances of paralysis or even death. But hey, dramaland exists in an alternate reality where things like this only result in rib fractures  LOL. It's okay though, poor HK went through so much in this drama, I'm glad they kept it unrealistic.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
39 minutes ago, catch22 said:

Even the hint at a Byung-Jin+GW pairing seemed very inconsistent, like as if they had to reinforce the point/idea tht GW was a gay character by throwing him with Byung-jin at the end since his story took a backseat in comparison to other characters

@catch22 So true. I love Byung-jin’s character in the drama, how he is always “fighting” with HK but at the same time truly cares for him. To me, he is like who Sora is for DH. So sad they never let Byung-jin date Sora instead. Forgive me for saying this, but the Sora and Park PD storyline makes me cringe. Seriously?! It was so unnecessary, and they are so very ill matched. Come on. I understood that Sora was trying to mess with him at the paintball session to win, but that should be concluded right there and then. 

Like, they had HK propose twice and in both cases there is no ring, really? The first proposal made HK seem thoughtless when his character was never written in that way, I get that he desperately just wants to tie the knot with her but this is really off-character

Exactly, I thought it was very off character of him to do so on a whim like that, with no ring. The second one I’m sure he planned, and it was so romantic, but no ring either. Why why why?? 

Also, DH still never verbally expressed her love for HK for us viewers which would've been nice but I understand that she didn't have to prove it at this point after all of her actions in caring for HK.

I was and still is very disappointed with this. Sigh. I thought for sure she’d have said it in the hospital in episode 15. Urgh why are the writers so stingy? Or maybe in episode 16 she could have told her mom that she really loves him despite her mom not liking HK?? So easy but yet why don’t give us what we want?? Sigh 

• Like 3

Finally had the time to watch subbed version and digest the last episode again, and I must say even though it was a plain and simple let's-wrap-all-the-side-stories kinda ending, we did get plenty of HK-DH moments and a sneak peak into their everyday lives as a couple. Even though their couch kiss scene got cut short by HK's (its healed when the story warrants it to, but not healed when its the critical kiss :evilelmo:) "WOUND", it was cute to see them argue and HK being all sulky about the missed opportunity/making excuses about wanting her to stay the night. It was nice seeing how comfortable and happy they were together, and I especially love the pd's way of showing a snapshot of their past yr with the rolling IG shots.

Definitely allowed me to have closure knowing this couple is happy somewhere in dramaland! 

Although I will still question the purpose of NE's scenes? Really she could have left when she officially broke up with HK, that was screentime wasted for me.

Appreciated the sunset view that the filming crew made effort to capture for a beautiful ending scene (in BTS you could tell they were rushing to catch the sunset by saying that there was no time, they had to hurry during rehearsals) but still wished it could have been DH-HK sharing an embrace of some sort.

@catch22 @starrynic omg you guys reminded me of the fact that DH never once said I love you to HK. I knew something was lacking in the end, fireworks aside!

@starrynic @thistle @celebrianna yup even when I was watching it live I was like, REALLY? That sort of a head on impact with a car travelling at a considerable speed with a cracked windscreen and a HK flung off the bonnet and not even a scratch to his face or concussion, not to mention his speedy recovery! I'm feel like its a combination of lack of attention to detail by the director, pd and writer nim as I have often noticed in the series. Or they could just be glossing things over in the end.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, catch22 said:

Still, some plot holes that wouldn't have cost much were missing. Like, they had HK propose twice and in both cases there is no ring, really? The first proposal made HK seem thoughtless when his character was never written in that way, I get that he desperately just wants to tie the knot with her but this is really off-character...well, at least the second time was romantic. I understand DH is simple but we viewers wanted to see the whole nine yards. 

I thought, first proposal was unprepared. And I don't think it was out of character. He just express his feelings and I think he was cute.  I think, he was sincere, but not thoughtless.

And I don't think, that he didn't present her a ring after second proposal. It's just we didn't see it.  We saw just a little part of that proposal date.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, airgelaal said:

And I don't think, that he didn't present her a ring after second proposal. It's just we didn't see it.  We saw just a little part of that proposal date.

They missed a chance at PPL!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, thistle said:

They missed a chance at PPL!  :lol:

How funny I thought the same! 

The whole time I was expecting a cliche scene even, of that ring being in her rice--never happened. 

And then I consoled myself that the drama probably didn't garner enough hype or viewership to warrant an expensive diamond ring.

Perhaps the only PPL was that awkwardly placed drink to aid digestion that Ah Young drank at the pharmacy. Camera stayed on it way too long to not have noticed. ^_^

Btw does anyone know if the full OST has been released? Can't seem to find it anywhere, its not even listed on Wikipedia yet. I really love their instrumental pieces (not of the main 5 OSTs).

• LOL 4
7 minutes ago, YuSanSeul said:

Btw does anyone know if the full OST has been released? Can't seem to find it anywhere, its not even listed on Wikipedia yet. I really love their instrumental pieces (not of the main 5 OSTs).

Yes.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, YuSanSeul said:

Me too! This one is my favourite. It’s the one they play when HK waits outside DH’s house for hours just to give her his business card. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

Me too! This one is my favourite. It’s the one they play when HK is waiting for hours to give DH his business card.

Thanks for this, @cantbreathe!! This is my favorite too!! They also played this when HK yelled at DH outside the funeral parlor. I broke into tears when he pulled her into his arms, apologized for yelling and DH told him sorry she took so long. :tears: They really did a good job on the entire OST. Even the instrumental pieces that accompanied the comedic moments fit so perfectly too. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

Me too! This one is my favourite. It’s the one they play when HK waits outside DH’s house for hours just to give her his business card.

Thanks for this! It's  my fave instrumental too in the DM OST because it was played when DH and HK were looking for each other in the places they have eaten together and then they meet in the bridge finally! It gives a great feeling listening to it and remembering their scenes! I really love rewatching Dinner Mate and I don't think i will get over it anytime soon.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 4