[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

5 minutes ago, rochellekv12 said:

I literally have been spaz watching this on waking up 5:30a and during my ridiculously short lunch break. The ending was nice. I’m definitely going to miss this couple... I’ll definitely write in the OTP forum post soon. I ❤️‘D chit chatting with you guys too as well. Though I feel bad for not doing it constantly because I’ve been super busy.. I find it funny and cute that the “denied sexy time” was due to the fact DH “hugged” a little too tight. Though if HK wasn’t hurt. OMO (insert crazy ajumma pervy thoughts lol jk) 

@rochellekv12 haha me too! Waking up around 6am for the past 2 weeks on Monday and Tuesday :lol: 

I do love it that DH agreed to stay the night though. Heheh and how HK was in pain but still wanted to continue, that scene was hilarious!

• Like 3

Song Seung Heon Talks About Working With Seo Ji Hye, Names His Most Memorable Dramas, And More

Jul 15, 2020
e4750c39c6fa47029cc8c84339c019df.jpeg?s=

On July 14, Song Seung Heon appeared as a guest on the SBS Power FM radio show “Kim Young Chul’s Power FM” to talk about the MBC Monday-Tuesday drama “Dinner Mate,” his true self off set, and more.

The actor shared, “It feels like it started only a couple days ago, but ‘Dinner Mate’ is ending today. We finished filming two weeks ago because of an overseas broadcasting situation.”

Song Seung Heon then mentioned his co-star Seo Ji Hye. “She’s pretty and a good actor,” he said. “She has the biggest and prettiest eyes out of all the actors I’ve worked with. Her eyes are so big that I told her so while we were acting.” He added, “Kim Tae Hee‘s eyes are big too, but Seo Ji Hye’s are bigger.”

Song Seung Heon also talked about his popular 2000 drama “Autumn in My Heart.” He said, “‘Autumn in My Heart’ really feels like it was just yesterday. Not long ago, someone was talking about it, so I looked it up on the internet, and the drama was from September 2000.”

He continued, “That was already 20 years ago. Time really goes by fast. It wasn’t just 10 years ago [but 20]. I was so surprised.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1412848wpp/song-seung-heon-talks-about-working-with-seo-ji-hye-names-his-most-memorable-dramas-and-more

“Dinner Mate” Sees Viewership Boost With Finale, “The Good Detective” Continues To Rise In Ratings

ddbc49b60ade4b0ba18d0cfce03a5d6d.jpeg?s=

MBC’s “Dinner Mate” came to an end with a boost in ratings.

According to Nielsen Korea, the July 14 broadcast of the drama recorded nationwide averages of 2.9 and 4.3 percent viewership, for a 0.6 point increase from the previous episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1412874wpp/dinner-mate-sees-viewership-boost-with-finale-the-good-detective-continues-to-rise-in-ratings

Jul 15, 2020
by R. Jun

by C. Lee

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, fiona628 said:
  Hide contents

I just realized DH never get to say “I love you to HK?

Did I miss this? 

Spoiler

@fiona628 You’re right. I was disappointed too. But she did say she was gonna ask HK to marry her if he didn’t pop the question soon. If that’s not love then I don’t know what is :love:

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, fiona628 said:
  Hide contents

I just realized DH never get to say “I love you to HK?

Did I miss this? 

I knew there was something missing from the final episode!  Oh my goodness. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

my enthusiasm for this drama took a deep plunge when there were too many emphasis on JH coping with his mental issues and causing pain and distress to the people around him...

finished the last ep... agreed with some of you that this finale was short of the Omph! factor but i like how DH immediately got AY to come to the restaurant to create the perfect reunion chance for her with Keanu :Cornykiss: 

i thought DH did say ILY to HK in the team retreat evening after the paintball game... HK was more anxious to marry DH hahaha the scene where he went to seek help from DH's mom was so funny!! other than that, the remaining small scenes of JH, NE, GW, SR and JK seemed to be just to fill in the gaps for the ep.

hope to meet you all again in other kdrama threads! :byebye2:

• Like 4
  • Love 3

What did “in the ring” mean during that scene with the 2 exes where JH asks NE if she is still “in the ring” and NE replies “you know we were the only ones in the ring, right?”

Ring as in.. boxing/fighting ring??? 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, emme_cee said:

What did “in the ring” mean during that scene with the 2 exes where JH asks NE if she is still “in the ring” and NE replies “you know we were the only ones in the ring, right?”

Ring as in.. boxing/fighting ring??? 

Yes that's what in the ring means, that they were still in a fight...that is to win their exes back. I remember in one of the earlier episodes NE was telling/advicing JH that if he wanted DH back, he should still be in the ring like she was.

• Like 5

Annyeong!!! :)  

After my initial reaction on the finale, my disappointment has toned down a bit.  I've decided to embrace this drama for what was wonderful about it and to just accept the flaws as part of what makes it what it is.  I can't change it, anyway.  

I will always thank this drama for giving us Kim Hae-kyung and Woo Do-hee.  They are now up there as one of my most favorite fictional lovers of all time.  I loved the way their relationship developed and how they grew as individuals in the process.  The way they fell in love was just so natural and organic.  It never felt forced.  It just felt right.  

I love the soundtrack.  The songs were perfect for the scenes in which they were played and they complemented the mood whenever they were used.  My favorite will always be "Midnight Cinderella", not just for the musical arrangement and the lyrics, but because it was first played when Kim Hae-kyung decided to formally introduce himself to Woo Doo-hee, even as she told herself that there was no use deceiving oneself if one truly likes another.  That scene of Hae-kyung looking at Do-hee from across the street and walking purposefully towards her will always be one of the most romantic scenes in this drama for me. "More Than Words" would come a close second, because it was always the BGM for their playful moments together.  

The cinematography was beautiful!  The colors were so vibrant in almost all the shots and they're gorgeous in HD.    

There were some inspired dialogues in this drama, especially during the first half of it. I won't quote them all here anymore as I'm pretty sure we've all memorized them.  :D  But the way they were said by the characters, they didn't sound awkward or contrived. Even Ah Young's dialogue to Do-hee in the final episode about Hae-kyung saving her was profoundly beautiful in its simplicity. 

I will also thank this drama for giving us such wonderful actors.  The supporting actors were just as good as the leads were.  Park Ho San, Ye Ji Won, Lee Ji Hoon, Kim Seo-kyung and all the other actors really made their characters come alive.  Even if their screen-time was limited, they still made the most of it when they were onscreen.  They gave memorable performances which I won't forget. 

Of course...if for nothing else, this drama will definitely be remembered for the amazing chemistry between its lead actors, Song Seung Heon and Seo Ji Hye.  I have watched and liked them in their other dramas, but "Dinner Mate" made me fall in love with them, as individual actors and as a couple. They really made Kim Hae-kyung and Woo Do-hee real people to me and the love they shared was so genuine that they often made it difficult for me to see where fiction ended and reality began.  Whether or not something sparked between them for real in this drama, their characters will always be special to me.  

But I will always wish that the director and writers had enough sense to give us their wedding in the end.  It was their last chance to milk the chemistry of SSH and SJH for all it was worth and they botched it.  [heck.  they could have taken out those other scenes of No-eul and Jae-hyuk, which to my mind, weren't necessary anymore for the finale episode, and used the time for the wedding instead.  :huh:]   How wonderful it would have been to see Woo Do-hee in her bridal gown, all dolled up and gorgeous and rendering Hae-kyung speechless.  And I would have loved to see them both cry with happiness at the end of the ceremony, only for Do-hee to break the teary interlude with a victory whoop and be the one to initiate the kiss.  And the end credits should have shown their honeymoon photos instead,with all those meals they will now share together as husband and wife.  Oh well.  But that will just be all in my head now. :mellow:         

(I read in the comments box of one of the recapping sites that there were two writers for this drama who alternated with the writing.  I think that explains the disjoint between the first 11 episodes and the last 5.  The second writer was probably into the makjang stuff and couldn't think of a better way to sustain the momentum after Hae-kyung and Do-hee had become a couple.)  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Caught the finale last night and over all crammed a lot in the last episode.

-JH healing with Keanu (though JH was frustrating---the actor was so good) I think he should have paid for his crimes (but DH too soft hearted to do that to him)

and them working around Korea doing physical labor, later helping GW and NE

-NE and GW partnership and needing JH to help them---good brand, making money but not good at retention of money

-AY and Keanu getting back together (thank god DH) got her to see him when he looked up HK and DH

(Funny that HK so WITH it did not notice that AY and Keanu needing a moment and privacy---couldn't he tell DH was acting so they could scram? That DID not make sense)

-HK unable to have sexy times with DH (I am not surprised as we were trolled BUT it would not have made sense as he has 2 fractured ribs) So realistic he felt pain, sweet that DH made him sleep and he worried for her. (LOL cute HK)

-DH being so cute and happy about his request for SEXY times if it were not for his injury, (finally so mutual for them) glad her heart is ready and full of HK (last two episodes reciprocating to him) funny she went to AY and not mom. But then again makes sense mom has sixth sense and would be suspicious as she was made by her to make TONS of food

-Love lines with others Sora and JK (not sure what to make of it) but hope she helps him take care of himself (we don't see the "smell issue" and maybe being in LOVE his self care is better as we know he has an EGO but is dull on alot of matters), funny how DH is like JK only gives COFFEE to you and NO ONE Else (think about that)

and when JK approached Sora as James online and then refused to meet her online (She fell in love with him as a PERSON and character) wonder if he told her later.

-NE and JH talking about being the only ones in the proverbial "ring", YUP your exes NEVER were in it (Though in your minds you had a chance with them---you did not.) At least it is mentioned and they CAN move on. What was the ramen eating scene? Just exes having time to bond?

-JH messed life due to his cold dad. Glad he was finally able to break free from wanting to get recognition and love. So JH wanted to atone and do a retraction but his DAD would not let him.  Dang that is horrible.  Yeah it hurts to have TOXIC people in your life and WORSE when it is family or your parents for that matter. 

-AY really loving Keanu and willing to wait for him and after she found out the real story of KNOWING JH as his patient, glad she got MAD at him. Glad someone was like---you could have avoided all these people being hurt ie DH and HK. HK could have died! But as OTP in this drama, it was not expected he would. Glad HK did not have amnesia or fatal life threatening injuries.

-Loved DH and HK dating scenes and how rare the GUY wants to get married and he got upset pushing off the mom meeting as she would RUSH them to get married. LOL lying to mom about one month of dating. The fact HK cannot lie and especially when it comes to DH letting slip about Jeju (their time) as mom was going there for fun

-DH with her aegyo after standing up HK for 2 hours and both were cute. Glad they are talking. Her giving aegyo and calling HK "oppa". OMG yes!

DH asking for a redo on the proposal on the building rooftop over lunch dosirak. The 1 yrs worth of IG posts of them under handle "Dinner Mates' was cute. 

-Interesting mom not liked HK just the fact he knew all about her past. I am glad DH realized she cannot change her past it is integral to who she is as a person. But to have someone EMBRACE all of her and her past, HK is DEFINITELY her lobster (as I said before ---what Phoebe of the USA old sitcom "Friends" used to say). When HK went to DH mom frustrated wanting her to put on the heat about marriage. TOO CUTE! Fact she is like you are the professional and bf and asking me about her thoughts on marriage and pushing for it? Loved that now HK has a mother figure to feed him and fill that void. His complaint of DH not making ramen properly and being threatened eating instant food, lol mom saying just come over and eat. Awwww. Love that she finally has a son in law (soon ) to dote on who APPRECIATES her food and LOVES her daughter.

-HK upset with DH always asking BJ IF You had mother in law/GF what would you do? Funny he bluntly says it won't happen and then just gives up and said ---IF I had a gf. LOL. So YES I too notice how GW was trying to hold BJ hand and putting his arm around him (but BY was not having it) (when they were all going in to the surprise meeting by AY ---ended up being wedding declaration of marriage of Keanu and AY) Sad that between GW and BY had to be hidden and be subtle not as overt. I know mainstream  Korea is still conservative. But glad GW got someone and BJ too! (So that Sora and BJ ship, some of us wanted would NEVER had sailed at all-no wonder.)

-Going full circle to a food truck to eat by the beach (after driving 2 hours--ok I admit it is a bit much), but sweet way to end their journey did start as dinner mates with food truck meal and asking --would you want to have dinner with me? Cheezy but frankly (I wouldn't know how to end the drama---so I am ok with it)

-OST are important and here it was great. I liked some of the outfits of the characters and styling of DH later as she was dating HK . But that RED DRESS that GW did that makeover. Sigh. HK in Suits----SSH looked great in them and in polos (those guns) when he cooked that tomato stew/soup we had controversy of food waste and unrealistic prep time LOL. (Only in a forum.)

This OTP (despite the crazy story arc in last half after splendid first half) and IRL chemi of SSH and SJH was amazing. I agree they were on fire. I would TOTALLY love it if they got together. But who knows? Love how SSH says she is very pretty, great actor and has the biggest eyes (later Kim Tae Hee when prompted has big eyes,  but KTH is married to Rain) he said SJH were bigger. Loved how SSH said he was so impressed by her beauty when they first met. Their visuals together match so well. Even if they do not get together, hope they remain good friends.

See everyone again soon in another forum (sorry if I missed others in this list) I know I wrote this again as I know with time difference and my very DELAYED post. LOL. 

@airgelaal @cantbreathe @huckleberrymoonriver @Ayame@ednamode101

@fiona628 @akhenaten @starrynic @YuSanSeul @emme_cee @Misstinker  @LeftCoastOppa@fluffyloaf @nyzah13 @PreciousByTheBay @hibiscus23 @larus @Wook's Fan@Thirtysvn37 @sal2 @DonnaMae @rochellekv12 @ck1Oz @celebrianna @0ly40 @mistergenie @thistle @romance06@Kvothe @lalalaelala @catch22 @hugo10 @schummy_lover @tas82

(I put a bunch of clips BTS, farewells, interviews etc on YT found of last 2 episodes in the spoiler box) 

Found this :

SSH last interview 

SJH last interview

Spoiler

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 9
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 2

@akhenaten My pleasure and no problem. I wonder about the BTS clips if they were fan made or made by another provider online.

So that is why not on YT. Yeah I saw some on IG thanks to early IG posts in the forum and followed some of them as a result for spoilers and BTS goodies. I will be glad to have one place to go to later if I want to look at them too.

Well if you watch the BTS enough, you can get used to the Korean. LOL.:ok:

Yeah I am glad I tried to put up ALL the BTS and interviews on that website for the last two episodes on YT. It seems legit so won't be taken down anytime soon.

• Like 2

@akhenaten I love your beautiful summarization of our drama. I’m so having post drama depression. Lol. Which recapping sites did you go to that you knew about the alternate ending? Did they say what alternate ending it would have been? So interesting. Please share the sites, I love recaps too. 

@Nodame Love all the points you made. I was so happy that finally DH called HK oppa and also they were using banmal! Finally. I also love that HK called DH “my DH”. Awwww

• Like 3

“Dinner Mate” Cast Bids Farewell To Drama With Closing Remarks

Jul 15, 2020

07e2ec116ecf46bca7dd9cdc07c70c26.jpeg?s=

The cast of MBC’s “Dinner Mate” has shared parting words with the drama as it recently came to an end on July 14.

Song Seung Heon took on the role of psychiatrist and food psychologist Kim Hae Kyung, who could be rough around the edges but cared for those around him. He stated, “I’ve been happy playing the role of Kim Hae Kyung. I was able to learn and heal a lot from playing Kim Hae Kyung as he healed his wounds. I want to thank our director, screenwriter, the staff on set, and my fellow cast members who created a fun production. Lastly, I want to thank the viewers who loved our drama till the end.”

Seo Ji Hye delighted viewers as the energetic and cool producing director (PD) Woo Do Hee, and she said, “We’ve been running nonstop for four months, and it’s been such a fun time. I tried to show a new side of myself through this drama, and I want to sincerely thank viewers for appreciating my efforts.”

Playing the role of Jung Jae Hyuk, Woo Do Hee’s ex-boyfriend who left a lasting impression on viewers as he faced his own trauma, was Lee Ji Hoon, and he said, “I want to thank our director, staff, and cast members for working hard. Immersing myself into the role of Jung Jae Hyuk was mentally and physically challenging, and the process went well because of the consideration I was shown by those on set.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1412969wpp/dinner-mate-cast-bids-farewell-to-drama-with-closing-remarks

by J. Lim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Nodame thanks for all the updates. See you around in another drama. I actually wrote several replies the last couple of weeks but did not post. The comments sounded too discouraging.  The summary is that the JJH plot line has been written wrongly by the writer. I understand the plot need and trajectory for it and was cringing/ hoping the majority of the South Korean tv audience watching it thought it was ridiculous and wrong that JJH had such an unsupportive family/GW. Callous remarks on GW's part after the accident. Circumstances potrayed and actions by the 2 psychiatrists characters just made me wince. I would never approach a volatile situation like KHK did pre- accident. Dumb and truly dangerous. Don't do that anyone- approach an emotionally labile situation and do not a rapport with the person. That's all I have to say.

And oh yeah, let WDH kill KHK by screaming his name and shaking his neck like that.

And the reason why I didn't post earlier. KHK in the initial episodes had a personality switch or the writer forgot who his/ her ( what gender is the writer? ) male lead was. KHK- and don't use being in love as an excuse- suddenly become dumber and a total sap. * scratching my head * its like he had a personalitly transplant.  What drivel came out from his mouth man? He became Mr Cheesy. Even SSH sounded confident in the earlier episodes and then the expressions in those later scenes just made me squirm.

Yes the OTP scenes were cute.  And the prolonged scenes spent on the 2ML was just wasted. Oh the actor can act just that the writing was bad.

And the " take me " translations scenes? I started laughing so hard that the romance was lost. The subs. In which planet did the translator thought it was an acceptable translation? I went from Kdrama land to a heaving bosom American romance novel land. That was too funny. I  must remember to repeat those lines for my friends who do understand Korean.

Spoiler

I am in Australia near the state with the out of control 2nd wave. The American intensivists and various Covid hospitals regard Covid differently. And obviously Americans are practising the social distancing differently. But yes we are back to tbe March/ Apr time when we hit the massive surge. 5 months in... all those wasted PPE and amount of RickRoll'D I put up with is just mentally draining. In spite of all these I still feel extremely sorry for the teams dealing with this in the US.  No centralised testing equipment  and the constant surge from ppl who don't heed advice must be disheartening. Reading the symptoms for them post Covid and returning to work makes me sad. Being separated from their kids makes me eveb sadder for  them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Will You Have Dinner With Me: Episodes 27-28

by selena

DIN2728-00066.jpg

Dealing with a huge loss in his life, our hero needs the support of his partner now more than ever. Our couple demonstrates the strength of their bond and the exes are challenged to embrace new perspectives.

EPISODE 27 RECAP

DIN2728-00002.jpg

When Hae-kyung learns of his mother’s passing, he’s overcome with grief and the contents of her final letter consumes his thoughts.

Do-hee arrives at the hospital in her slippers and finds Hae-kyung reading his mother’s letter. He breaks down as she holds him tight. Hae-kyung regrets telling Mom to wait until “next time” to say what she wanted to say, because there is no next time.

He laments not being able to hear her final words in person, and that she didn’t get to hear him say that he loved her back. Do-hee assures him, “I’m sure she knows how you feel.”

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/will-you-have-dinner-with-me-episodes-27-28/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@larus Thanks for the Drama Beans recap post YESH. Always appreciate your posts btw.

@starrynic Aww thanks for the kind words.

@ck1Oz Thanks for responding back and sharing. :heart3:

-I do agree that though the actor for JH was great, the script totally face palm. (I think another drama gave me total upset PLOT lines was "Born Again." Major eye roll for me-started out well and ended up horribly. (Great acting there too and what were they thinking plot?!)

-I read that somewhere in this forum, someone said that two writer nims were on this drama---no WONDER! I love your description heaving bosom American romance novel (LOL I admit I am a fan of those novels growing up.) I don't know how bad the translations can be for you to read--- but yeah def cheesy.  (the have breakfast and then go---was accurate). LOL I cannot remember the others right now offhand.

-I always appreciated your thoughts and I for one like all comments good and bad. As I get to see perspectives I might miss or not see. So always appreciate them.

Spoiler

Thanks for sharing. I am in Massachusetts, our state is actually not one of the crazy ones----we have a good state governor. Though we are fully re opened in three phases, I don't feel confident to go out all the time and eat out confidently with rise of of COVID19 cases even in Asia. So for me, it is keeping mainly at home and limiting outings and interactions with others. I work alone so live alone---right there the daily interactions is with strangers on the bus I take to get to work and to get home. I feel bad for the families as well for the front line workers dealing with those NON mask believers or people putting themselves in risky situations putting our healthcare workers in jeopardy for their not mindful actions. Since I cannot trust others around me to want to keep me safe and healthy, the only way I can do it is limit my interactions and I still grocery shop 1x every 2 to 3 weeks.

Please stay safe yourself and take care. I look forward to seeing you around in other forums. 

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 5