[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

@cantbreathe @starrynic really? They never spoke each other's language? Then that makes it all the more amazing how they managed to communicate, let alone fall in love and have a long-term relationship. The power of love is indeed amazing, as Lee Byeong-jin would say. :)

@akhenaten Yes, but I think, I’m not 100% sure though, SSH must have learnt a little mandarin for Liu Yifei during their time together. Remember in the first episode he actually spoke some mandarin during the motorbike chase scene?

• Like 4

https://youtu.be/qrLcByoP_Sc

I'm just putting this here because I'm sure we all need something to soothe us after this week's episodes.  

And because I absolutely adore their relationship before they knew each other's names.  There was indeed that openness and comfort that seemed to have lessened somewhat - more on the part of Do-hee - when they became a couple.  And because I'm hoping the drama will bring them back to this kind of dynamic again.  Kim Hae-kyung and Woo Do-hee were just beautiful together, even when all they were doing was eat dinner and talk. :wub:

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Tbh all this would be less messy if WDH treated KHK better. Their “undercover” relationship empowers the exes to do what they want because no one knows they are official and there will be no public scrutiny for the exes meddling. If all the coworkers and public knew they were an item, then any 3rd party would be in the wrong. KHK has been patient with WDH this whole time. But she still keeps things from him. She also doesn’t tell her mom about her bf which made her mom invite crazy ex-bf into their family. Seriously. Her lack of transparency is screwing herself and KHK up and it’s disappointing and frustrating to watch.. If they were official, they could draw a proper line with the exes. *sigh* Where is the wholesomeness I signed up for?! I hope the show gets immensely better in the final 2 weeks :((((

• Like 6
  • Love 4

Welcome to the family @starrynic!!

OMG so true.

@cantbreathe SSH is great visuals I am not sure about saintly. But yes the adaptation making him not dating 15 people (lol) def is SSH for sure. I mean then in that case DH mom was right--he is a player. I mean for a long time SSH did not do much variety shows etc keeping his IRL very private. So when he started the last decade going out more and sharing--showing he is like you and me (albeit VERY insanely good looking). That clip with his grocery run in Jeju---all the women (I would have done the same) shouting handsome, and taking pics . At least they gave him space and tried not to make him take selfie with them etc.

@celebrianna and @starrynic totally emphatically need HK now to tell DH --- gloves are off when dealing with JH.

They need to redeem themselves (These writer nims--- I know still fuming over Born Again fiasco.) 

@emme_cee Yeah DH not telling HK (I think we all were up in arms thinking WTF?!) I think no one in this forum approves of DH actions against a very dangerously mentally unstable JH. 

@airgelaal Yeah I did feel HK was snobby, at the food truck meal (instead of expensive nice meal) and then later after the trot singer winning (fluke hacking) meeting up having sea urchin at the hole in the wall --he admitted both meals were delicious. I guess he was not used to or taking to these kinds of places. (I have met people like that, either their friends/people they know do not go to these kinds of places, so cannot fault him on his prejudice or ignorance/inexperience. But I applaud he embraced the food after realizing it was tasty.) 

Spoiler

My first trip to Korea, I wanted to go to pojangmacha like in the dramas with the tent and plastic chairs/stools. My Korean friend refused to take me. She said we can have soju at my place. The pojang machas were dirty and did not want me (first time visitor to Korea) to eat there. (Due to all the dramas I WANTED to. That trip I did not go with my host.) I eventually was able to go in later trips with my dongsengs (Korean language partners I met here in the USA who returned back to Korea).

I think back, it was my first time 2006 in Korea, she wanted me to have the best food and not get sick. So to her taking to me a lowly pojangmacha was not my friend's idea of showing a quality place. Even my sunbae from college's mom was horrified I wanted to eat at a pojangmacha. She kept saying it was unclean.  (Let me tell you I love street food, Korea is very hygienic and the workers wear gloves compared to other places I have been too--I was fine no issues. I have had issues in other countries and South Korea was NOT one of them in terms of food.)

Yeah not sure how they plan to address this mess

-seeing BTS pics seems DH and HK are  on rooftop of a building and looking lovely pretty 

Hope that Keanu and JH (since in preview) what does JH do? I was upset he did not want to retract his LIES of a piece on Keanu to give his dad something to give him compliments. So horrible. To ruin a person's life to get acknowledgement from your dad?! Messed up.

-As I said before more AY and Keanu scenes! Don't like they want to have JK liking Sora, she doesn't deserve this treatment.  

Why this gem of drama have to go down the dumpster route ---really?! Ack.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, emme_cee said:

Tbh all this would be less messy if WDH treated KHK better. Their “undercover” relationship empowers the exes to do what they want because no one knows they are official and there will be no public scrutiny for the exes meddling. If all the coworkers and public knew they were an item, then any 3rd party would be in the wrong. KHK has been patient with WDH this whole time. But she still keeps things from him. She also doesn’t tell her mom about her bf which made her mom invite crazy ex-bf into their family. Seriously. Her lack of transparency is screwing herself and KHK up and it’s disappointing and frustrating to watch.. If they were official, they could draw a proper line with the exes. *sigh* Where is the wholesomeness I signed up for?! I hope the show gets immensely better in the final 2 weeks :((((

So so so true it is, all you’ve said. That’s why I keep saying DH needs to really show her love now! ASAP! 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, akhenaten said:

https://youtu.be/qrLcByoP_Sc

I'm just putting this here because I'm sure we all need something to soothe us after this week's episodes.  

And because I absolutely adore their relationship before they knew each other's names.  There was indeed that openness and comfort that seemed to have lessened somewhat - more on the part of Do-hee - when they became a couple.  And because I'm hoping the drama will bring them back to this kind of dynamic again.  Kim Hae-kyung and Woo Do-hee were just beautiful together, even when all they were doing was eat dinner and talk. :wub:

I so feel the same way about them and their relationship I watch the episodes over and over that's why this last episode hurt my feelings even if it works out I'm still very disappointed that this character would resort to this behavior then we will get a rushed ending because we still in character development on episode 13 why just my opinion everyone I'm still upset I will work it out with it's okay to not be okay by Sunday and be back ready on monday 

• Like 8

Hi guys! I’m literally going crazy waiting for the next episode, anxious to know what’s gonna happen yet trying to brave myself if it’s gonna suck. Time is moving too slowly :(

From Instagram pics it seemed like they have wrapped up the whole drama, also had the wrap up party. 

Spoiler

Also seemed like the ending will be HK and DH at the beach, similar to how they first met in Jeju. I hope the writers do them justice! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just reposting the pics from IG here, in case anyone didn't see them:

Pics from SSH's IG:

Spoiler

47afh1J.jpg

wcaBTPx.jpg

More BTS pics for upcoming episodes & Wrap-up Party:

Spoiler

l5xuWUZ.jpg

qp881rF.jpg

7ZY08M9.jpg

uqFK7AC.jpg

g2gznea.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, starrynic said:

Hi guys! I’m literally going crazy waiting for the next episode, anxious to know what’s gonna happen yet trying to brave myself if it’s gonna suck. Time is moving too slowly :(

From Instagram pics it seemed like they have wrapped up the whole drama, also had the wrap up party. 

Hide contents

Also seemed like the ending will be HK and DH at the beach, similar to how they first met in Jeju. I hope the writers do them justice! 

Aish. I hope it will be nothing like I fear. KHK is wearing business attire. I hope he's not there for work again and he jist bumps into WDH at the food truck.  If the director and writer go that route, then I will really start to question how some of these Korean drama writers think because there is absolutely nothing romantic about that.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

Aish. I hope it will be nothing like I fear. KHK is wearing business attire. I hope he's not there for work again and he jist bumps into WDH at the food truck.  If the director and writer go that route, then I will really start to question how some of these Korean drama writers think because there is absolutely nothing romantic about that.

They were filming a party, where HK and DH were together. HK and DH were in the same cloth at the beach. So I think they went their together.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, starrynic said:

Exactly! Why’d she go back inside her house when HK told her to step outside immediately? I do not understand! As many of you have pointed out before this is a major no no! I’m aghast that this was on national TV. 

Yes, before this episode I liked Geon-U too. Now not so much. 

I really wonder how the writers are gonna redeem the story in the next few episodes. 

Right?! Any normal person would GTFO if their home got broken into and the perpetrator was potentially still there. She decided to personally go find the criminal in the dark, lights off, with a frying pan, against her bf’s advice. She’s lucky it was JJH but it could very well be any burglar or a murderous JJH?! This goes against all rational thinking. Her lying about JJH to KHK is just absurd. Yeah.. the writers better redeem the show!

• Like 6

That's soo good they've wrapped up filming. No baggy eyes getting more and more puffy in last eps and drop in drama quality, yay!!

I would watch 50 eps of WDH and KHK flirty and being their cute selves but this drama really doesn't have enough story in the exes to drag it out much longer. Manipulation and mental stability from JH and all the urrghhhness from NE all round, I mean they both see and admit aloud their exes have moved on and yet they still try... that's insanity.

• Like 6

I have a wish-list of what I would want to see in the last 4 episodes:

1) Episode 13 and part of 14 (not all of it coz that would be a waste) should wrap up the No-eul and Jae-hyuk arc. 

It's too bad that No-eul's character wasn't threshed out much in earlier episodes.  It would have been good if, instead of showing her being all spoiled and demanding, they could have shown flashbacks of her past and how Hae-kyung and Geun-woo became part of it.  it would have been preferable to just watching her strutting around, as if she had every right to just take Hae-kyung back and pick up where they left off.  (Makes me wonder why the writer and director didn't do that.  Perhaps the actress can't handle the level of acting needed for that?  Nothing personal against Son Na-eun.  I think she's very pretty and perhaps in time and with more training, she can pull it off but right now, I think she still lacks the depth and experience to play  No-eul in a more nuanced manner.)

Jae-hyuk's character development is interesting but it just takes the drama into a much darker path.  I'm not surprised that a lot of viewers are getting turned off by the sudden turn of events because most of them signed up for this because of Hae-kyung and Do-hee.  Worse, they see Do-hee's recent behavior as terribly OOC.  It's like watching another drama with the same character in it but she has a different personality.  I can tolerate Jae-hyuk but only to a certain extent but they shouldn't drag out his story for so long.  His arc and that of Keanu's should have been tackled in stages two or three episodes earlier.  That would have given more time for Hae-kyung to interact with his sunbae again and to jointly find a way to address Jae-hyuk's issue and at the same time, help Do-hee find closure from what Jae-hyuk did to her.  

(May I just give a shout-out to actor Lee Ji-hoon?  This guy is acting his socks off and he's brilliant as Jung Jae-hyuk.  He's completely nailed the creepiness and danger behind his character's sweet face.)  :)  

2) Episodes 14 and 15 should tackle the arc of Hae-kyung and Do-hee's respective parents, as well as Geun-woo and his backstory involving Hae-kyung and No-eul.  

I think the arc involving Hae-kyung and his mom has so much potential in terms of taking his relationship with Do-hee to the next level.  She's a fan of his mom and it would be wonderful to see her interact with Ms Lee, even if only for a brief period of time if Ms Lee is going to die anyway.  It would give her great insight into Hae-kyung's character and help her understand him more.  And I think it would really draw them closer.  Despite herself, Lee Mun-jeong loves her son and it would be good to watch the interaction of these two women who love Hae-kyung.

There is also Do-hee's mom.  She's a bit of a ditz but she clearly loves her daughter very much and only has her best interests at heart.  Unfortunately, she's also blinded by her own experience and I would assume her upbringing.  Clearly, from the way she has reacted to her husband's infidelity, she was probably brought up to believe that wives must act like martyrs and just accept everything that's happening to them, for the sake of keeping the peace and harmony in the family.  She's also afraid of leaving Do-hee alone with no one to care for her and wants her daughter to be married off so that, whatever happens between her husband and herself, Do-hee would already have someone to take care of her.  Maybe that's why she latched on to Jae-hyuk because he seemed such a nice guy and clearly loved Do-hee very much.  It would be interesting how she would react if she found out that this hotshot psychiatrist whom she's already judged as a ladies' man, turns out to be her daughter's boyfriend.  

Guen-woo's history with the main characters is also an interesting story arc.  There seems to be something about Geun-woo in their past that Hae-kyung and No-eul are both aware of and it's something that they're both reluctant to share.  Despite their differences and their bad breakup, it's clear that they both care for Geun-woo.  It was very interesting to me how, when asked by the 2N Box staff about how he knew Geun-woo during their dinner at the samgyupsal place, Hae-kyung evaded the question.  He was clearly uncomfortable to answer and there was a look that he shared with No-eul at that moment.

3) Episode 15 should wrap up any misunderstandings between Hae-kyung and Do-hee so that they can get married at the beginning of Episode 16 and we can spend the final episode watching them prepare for their wedding, going off on their honeymoon, and getting used to the idea of having dinners together for the rest of their lives.   I'm imagining a scene when Do-hee finally moves into their new home as Hae-kyung's wife and she brings Penguin along and camps him on their bed.  Then I can imagine Hae-kyung getting bopped on the head by Penguin when he tries to kiss and hug Do-hee and he's going to wonder again why this stuffed penguin is so big (he did say that in episode 6 when he dropped off a tipsy Do-hee and tried to pull Penguin from the backseat of his SUV).  haha.  :D       

So there.  But then, I can only hope that things wouldn't turn out so bad in the last stretch.  I love "Dinner Mate" and I adore Hae-kyung and Do-hee to bits.  I don't want them to do a "Jon Snow" on these characters, if you guys know what I mean.  :(  

• Like 7
  • Love 3

51 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

3) Episode 15 should wrap up any misunderstandings between Hae-kyung and Do-hee so that they can get married at the beginning of Episode 16 and we can spend the final episode watching them prepare for their wedding, going off on their honeymoon, and getting used to the idea of having dinners together for the rest of their lives.   I'm imagining a scene when Do-hee finally moves into their new home as Hae-kyung's wife and she brings Penguin along and camps him on their bed.  Then I can imagine Hae-kyung getting bopped on the head by Penguin when he tries to kiss and hug Do-hee and he's going to wonder again why this stuffed penguin is so big (he did say that in episode 6 when he dropped off a tipsy Do-hee and tried to pull Penguin from the backseat of his SUV).  haha.  :D       

So there.  But then, I can only hope that things wouldn't turn out so bad in the last stretch.  I love "Dinner Mate" and I adore Hae-kyung and Do-hee to bits.  I don't want them to do a "Jon Snow" on these characters, if you guys know what I mean.  :(  

I know what you mean. I hated GoT’s ending. :(Back to Dinner Mate, loved your wish list. But I feel they are gonna use more time for Keanu and Ah Yeung’s love story, judging from the Instagram pics. Geun-U’s back story would probably be on the back burner.

I would love love love to have more interaction of DH and Sora, I love Sora’s character, they are so cute together! Speaking of which, it just reminded me that DH wasn’t even honest with Sora in the beginning that KHK was her dinner mate. She also didn’t tell her when they started dating. Isn’t Sora her BFF who’s always on her side and also who helped set her up with HK at the camping trip (which I adored!!!)? Why wouldn’t she tell her??

And lastly, the penguin! I LOL at your description of how the penguin will bop HK LOL, yes that’s exactly the kind of lightheartedness and fluff we need back in this drama!! No no no to dark JH sigh..... I was rewatching episode 12 and noticed that the first thing DH touched when she went back to her trashed house was the penguin! :wub: She must have thought of HK then because immediately after she went to change her door code. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCLujZkJku6/?igshid=1kiojqa3q7ln9

Omg omg omg are they extending the drama to 20 episodes??? :w00t:

• Like 7

Anneyeong Chingudeul

I know this whole week was stressful and tiring for all of us. Endless discussions of how wrong DH was, for hiding JH from KHK. How hurtful would it be for KHK, what;s gonna happen in the next 4 episodes. How are they going the mend the mess they created...?

Many of us have lost a bit of interest too (including me :sweatingbullets:)

But if you think more, it rarely happens that a show will sail smoothly (happy going) all the time. There comes a point where we start disliking a particular part. It's my personal experience (don't mind if you don't agree). For instance, when in R88 Deok Sun went with PBG (I was disappointed), when in CLOY there was just too much of melodrama (after Seri got shot and RJH captivated by SK NIS), and much more). Please share your experience too, if you ever felt such a feeling....

But as far as this drama is concerned I  have a gut feeling that it will definitely end on a good note and we will learn something new about the life. What should we do and shouldn't do... :approves:

There are a lot of plots yet to come. The scene where KHK, DH, Byeong Jin, GW were in black. I recently saw these pictures of DH, one of these dress is already worn by her when she came to KHK's clinic to seduce him.  But what about the second one. I haven't seen it till now. Any clues there? :offtospace:

So. let's don't be discouraged by the current plot. It will pass by, giving us more matured, loving and caring Do Hee, who will be madly in love with KHK and if lucky we might get to see her chasing him. :Woah:

Lets keep our hopes high, chingudeul :rickroll:

https://twitter.com/scarherondale/status/1279022442522873856

She is such a beauty:happy2:

• Like 4
  • Love 3