[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

22 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

I do think they’ve made DH way too distant from HK and too frozen in her past relationship to have her suddenly realise she loves HK, so maybe a time jump might be what they have in mind. Uurrrggghhh!! The meeting each other by chance, staring at each other, the warm understanding smile, and then the credits. My worst nightmare 

DH was the first to fall in love. However, I noticed that ever since she found out HK’s identity as the doctor she used to bicker with, it was like she threw up a wall. Remember after HK found out who she was and went to reveal himself to her and make his feelings clear, DH didn’t accept him right away. It seems to me that she’s never completely let down that wall. I think she loves HK. The way she behaves when she’s with him or thinking of him demonstrates this even if she herself is unaware. I believe her invisible wall has been coming down as she spent more time with HK but now with JH’s interference, she’s probably an emotional mess. 

Honestly, I would love to see HK confront DH about their relationship. He’s been treading so carefully and he’s been patient, but it’s probably time to shake things up. DH might not have realized how bothered, worried or upset HK is about her entanglement with JH. Speaking openly and sincerely will help her to understand his feelings and also help her to realize any failure on her part in their relationship. For instance, how is she not bothered that she lied to him about the break in? Somehow that feels huge to me. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5

3 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Guys, I'm pinning my hopes on how the writer will write Hae-kyung's character reaction to everything that's happening with Do-hee. She's clearly not in the right frame of mind where Jae-hyuk is concerned. She hasn't had full closure, despite everything she's said to Jae-hyuk that she's over him.  Their relationship really scarred her.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason why Young-dong fell out of love with her.  He probably sensed that Do-hee was still so hung up on what happened with Jae-hyuk. What he said about meals with her becoming uncomfortable was just a metaphor for how he felt about their relationship, overall.  Once and for all, Do-hee needs to settle how she feels and needs to make the decision if she will move on with Hae-kyung, or she will give up this one great chance at love and throw her lot in again with Jae-hyuk and be in the kind of relationship that she said she'll never allow herself to be in.  She needs to learn to trust herself and in her love for Hae-kyung and his for her.  I guess the drama is showing us a darker side of her charactee journey.  Perhaps it would have been better if the drama wasn't really packaged as a romcom, but a romance drama with some incidental comedy. Oh well.:mellow:

I want to add, that all this mess affects her deeper. HK still has his job. But DH is surrounded by this mess. She can't avoid exes, because she works with them. And it's not like she is the boss. Even HK decided to work with her because she is producer Woo. It's too mush stress. I think, she's better to stop working with exes, they are too toxic. But again, it's not easy to do. She has her professional dignity.

As I said before, she needs a doctor. HK said it several times, but she is not ready. He was her therapist when he was her dinner mate and it helped her, but now once again she is alone with her fears. It's not like she doesn't trust HK, maybe she trust him too much

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

Will You Have Dinner With Me: Episodes 19-20

by LollyPip

Dinner1920-00001.jpg

Oh boy, I’ve been waiting for the day when our dinner mates admit that it’s about more than food, and that day is finally here! These two are so cute, as they try to figure out what their new relationship means and how to act around each other, not to mention how to work together. Meanwhile, there’s danger looming closer by the day, so our protagonists are going to need each other to lean on more than they can imagine.

EPISODE 19

Dinner1920-00039.jpgDinner1920-00038.jpg

Hae-kyung tells Do-hee that he knows her, name or not, which makes her quietly cry. He gently wipes away her tears, then pulls her head to his shoulder to comfort her. He says he’s the kind of person who’s true to their feelings, “So I hope you won’t think of anyone but me.”

Surprised, Do-hee pops up and yelps that he should be telling her to think about herself. Hae-kyung says he’s decided to be a good son, explaining that his mother advised him to live boldly. Do-hee says that she probably meant to be bold and loyal to his desires… then realizes that oops, that is what it means.

Hae-kyung holds out a hand and asks Do-hee if she can just say yes, and only think of him. Slowly taking his hand, Do-hee admits that she crossed this line a long time ago. Hae-kyung says he knows, joking that it was hard to pretend to be clueless, referring to her slip during their camping trip.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/will-you-have-dinner-with-me-episodes-19-20/

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ayame said:

I was wondering if anyone has read the original webtoon that the drama is based on? You can find it here: http://webtoon.daum.net/webtoon/view/p_dinner

It's in Korean though, and my Korean isn't that great at all, so I haven't read it lol. Although I am curious how closely the plot of the drama has been to the original webtoon.

I read. I think, around 5%. All important parts are different. For example, HK had 15 girlfriends and couldn't cook, while DH had only 1 boyfriend and she could cook.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

My problem with episode 12 is that it plays into the fear that remains in my subconscious while watching dramas, that the ending will be screwed up. To find a drama with a good ending is like finding a unicorn!! Is  there a school of sadism in Korea that teaches writers to destroy the ending? Or were they just not taught the principle of catharsis? I find myself unable to really give myself completely to a drama because I am always wondering how mangled the ending will be. I watched episode 12, not so much worried by the crazy happenings, but by the fear that this will be YET ANOTHER BAD/ HURRIEDLY PUT TOGETHER ENDING, thinking "Oh NO!, I have seen this before, and it doesn't end well!!". (Even the great CLOY did not give me the catharsis I wanted in terms of their relationship when the leads went back to South Korea. It was too much plot and not much of the leads.)

What I really needed was more dating and food and kissing before they had to face the inevitable. The episode took a 180 from the sweetness of the movie date and the kiss in EP11 into dark territory for most of the episode, which was discombobulating.

I think Jae Hyuk had to go to Hae Kyung's office as a way to bring healing to the characters in the story. Through this plot, I expect the truth about Jae Hyuk and his malicious reporting to be exposed and Hobo Guy to be cleared, Jae Hyuk will finally be sent to jail or to receive psychiatric help, and most importantly, Do Hee can move on when she sees the extent of his madness. She's given him many chances to save himself because she was in love with him which is a natural reaction, but after this, I expect any lingering feelings to be over. Do Hee and Hae Kyung can move into the future without the trauma of the past hanging over their heads.

In the meantime, I will hang on to the brilliant analysis by @akhenaten to console me. Especially this part:

Just now, akhenaten said:

And maybe therein lies the crux of this story between these once dinner mates turned lovers.  The synopsis did say these two people will help each other heal, so maybe this is where the writer and director are taking us now.  

As long as they can resolve the issues they have raised logically, I will be fine. Plus skinship.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 5

11 hours ago, Nodame said:

LOL I was seeing PC , I was like eh? PC is personal computer but could be portable charger too (But showing my age with saying this? LOL) 

The making of phrases and shortening them is VERY REAL. My Korean dongsengs say they have problems being here for some time they lose touch with the newest/trendiest words. LOL!

Yeah, probably we are showing our age. :w00t: But I have a problem when I see abraviations too much. I have hard time reading posts when I see all the names of the characters just letters. OK. Maybe to see just a few it will be more easier (I know who is HK and DE) but when all the characters are letters it is too much for me.  I totally understand your dongsengs. :D

13 hours ago, celebrianna said:

It annoys me when people send me text messages and don’t use proper English but instead letters and numbers.

I know what you mean. I get annoyed sometimes even when I know what they wanted to say.  It is not that hard to use words. Perhaps, in the future, everyone will use computer language.... 1 and 0 combinations.

It is easier for me to read jumped letters  ....Yuo cna porbalby raed tihs esaliy desptie teh msispeillgns.:lol:

Speaking of the last episode... I can`t believe Jae-Hyeok will try to destroy Hae Kyung`s reputation as a psychiatrist just like he did it with Keanu. A dangerous and scary man.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, starrynic said:

Hi everyone, I’m new here. I created an account just so I can rant about the last episode. I love this drama so much up till now. Love the entire OST too. 

I agree with everyone, but my heart hurts so much for HK. He has been ever so patient, always giving and giving and all he has received is passiveness and distrust. For crying out loud, DH didn’t even look so jealous in the last episode where she saw NE crying in HK’s arms.

For the first time ever in this drama I actually think that DH doesn’t really deserve HK. She really needs to do something big to redeem herself and win her man back! And on the contrary from the preview for the upcoming episode it seems like she’s going to break his heart?? Come on! I’m so sad for poor HK. 

Anybody has any insights about how HK will react to DH lying to him? As much as he loves her I hope he is angry and doesn’t let that slide. DH should be the one trying to win his heart back now. I really want to see some love from her geez. Can’t have the ML do everything can we?

I agree with everything you said. This last episode majorly pissed me off. I liked WDH’s character this whole show up until this episode. Wtf is wrong with her?! She lied to her boyfriend that everything was ok when her crazy ex destroyed her apartment? I was fuming. The writer decided to have her feel guilty/embarrassed when her life was possibly in danger and her bf warned her to stay outside? The 2 crazy exes are ruining the show because both main leads are too kind. ML and FL’s inability to cut off the exes is frustrating. The gay friend who was cool at first meddles way too much. And seriously? WDH is mad at KHK for lashing out at her psychopathic ex-Boyfriend when she was not honest to KHK about what happened at her apartment? *SMH* The preview for next episode looks bad for everyone. NE probably screws them all over with the interview...

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ayame said:

I was wondering if anyone has read the original webtoon that the drama is based on? You can find it here: http://webtoon.daum.net/webtoon/view/p_dinner

It's in Korean though, and my Korean isn't that great at all, so I haven't read it lol. Although I am curious how closely the plot of the drama has been to the original webtoon.

@Ayame I read the manhwa and was able to finish.. It has totally different story with a bit of similarity.. HK is a writer and I forgot DH's job.. In the manhwa, HK has lot of past relationships, however, the similarity is he doesn't go back to his old relationships and seemed like he's not affected at all when he will be left alone. DH has only experienced love once and it was with JH.. And she was initially confused wanting to get back with him but she realised their relationship doesn't work anymore because they usually fight on small things and they both grew tired of it until HK and DH met at a restaurant and the cashier thought they were dating and offered them couple discount as they were sitting with together waiting for other customer to finish so they'll have their own table.. They were both alone so they took the opportunity and ate together.. And it all started there.. They decided to be dinner mates everyweekend and they talk about each others relationship.. In the manhwa HK let DH decide for herself if she wants to get back with JH but she refuses to maybe because she started feeling something towards HK though she doesn't seem to give malice to it..

In the manhwa they both supressed their feelings for each other and really decided to not contact as DH has already fallen for HK and he agreed.. However, destiney decided to meet them again without contacting each other and it was there and then, HK decided to follow DH as she tried to escape from HK, but HK wasn't able to contain his feelings for DH as well.. They confessed each others feelings and decided to date.. 

Here's the link of the english manhwa..

https://mangakakalot.com/read-zb7ia158504931834

The drama really has a lot of real life sitaution twists especially in tackling mental illness.. Maybe the writer and the PD wanted to show this on the show that's why it has totally different plot than the manhwa..

Anyhow, enjoy the story.. :)

1 hour ago, airgelaal said:

I read. I think, around 5%. All important parts are different. For example, HK had 15 girlfriends and couldn't cook, while DH had only 1 boyfriend and she could cook.

I agree with this.. The characters of the manhwa and drama are totally reciprocated.. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

I am only commenting because somehow having HK have 15 girlfriends hysterical. The writer has made him out to be such a learned, devoted boyfriend to EN. And such an understanding, empathetic guy to DH; and who happens to be super hot in tight polo tops. All because of SSH. Did you see the smile, smirk head bopping KHK in ep 9?

Then to read that Saint Kim Hak Kyeong had 15 girlfriends? It just made me laugh so much. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

Well, just caught up to Ep 11 n 12.

The writers definitely make you dislike JaeHyeok and NoEul like HEAAPPSSS....hats of to Ji Hoon and Na Eun though, they play their characters well.

But I do like every cute adorable warm fuzzy UWU interaction between HaeKyung and DoHee  :Ohboy3:

So simple but i loved this scene lots. Eating good food with someone you adore.....with some cringey moves like feeding each other. hahaha I wantssss. hahaha

HyMm6L5.jpg

Seeing Ayoung and Keanu get together is super awesome. happy feels there hahaha

The story behind Keanu and JaeHyeok is interesting, hopefully a good outcome in the coming episodes.

The sadness of HK's mum and DH parents I'd hope for a good outcome in the following episodes too, but im probably asking for too much....heh.

Time to wait for the next 2 episodesssss.....

UWU  :ohboy2:

i6Q7Jqn.jpg

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

And such an understanding, empathetic guy to DH who happens to be super hot in tight polo tops. All because of SSH. Did you see the smile, smirk head bopping KHK in ep 9?

Ahahaha, I totally get this. The character seems based on SSH, who is so saintly, and our reactions in part are to do with how perfect we think SSH is.

:winkx:

The writer is obviously some SSH fan too, can’t bear to write him with any flaws. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

19 hours ago, larus said:

The funny moment when you identify with a character. I totally understood Kim Hae-Kyung when that young patient talked using abreviations. Hae kyung was me.

PC is portable charger? I thought it is personal computer. :w00t:

IKR! LOL! But me too:D

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

I am only commenting because somehow having HK have 15 girlfriends hysterical. The writer has made him out to be such a learned, devoted boyfriend to EN. And such an understanding, empathetic guy to DH; and who happens to be super hot in tight polo tops. All because of SSH. Did you see the smile, smirk head bopping KHK in ep 9?

Then to read that Saint Kim Hak Kyeong had 15 girlfriends? It just made me laugh so much. 

Haha. @ck1Oz You know, I find it really funny that in the drama, Hae-kyung seems totally oblivious to the fact that he's an extremely handsome man.  Or maybe he just sees it as a matter of fact and nothing to crow about coz he just happened to born that way (huh. And everyone else are lesser mortals). And it's amazing to think that he's a one-woman type of guy when he falls in love, and so emotionally sensitive that he shunned all romantic relationships when No-eul broke his heart. And he probably would have lived a monastic life if Do-hee hadn't come along.

His character kind of reminds me of Fitzwilliam Darcy from "Pride & Prejudice". :)

@cantbreathe SSH? Saintly? But wasn't he involved in a long-term relationship with the Chinese actress who played Mulan in the recent Hollywood adaptation? :blink:

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, airgelaal said:

I think, he was a little snobbish in first episodes

I feel like this was actually part of his appeal, that he appeared snobbish but actually wasn’t. He just needed someone like DH to tell it to him straight - like the way he was a bit of a square at the sushi restaurant, giving a lecture to DH about food. They’re really not flaws, sort of ways to endear us to how complementary their relationship is. Being selfish or a liar, are more the type of flaws I was talking about. 

31 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@cantbreathe SSH? Saintly? But wasn't he involved in a long-term relationship with the Chinese actress who played Mulan in the recent Hollywood adaptation? :blink:

I meant it in the colloquial sense that you say someone is ‘saintly’ if they’re too kind, or good. 

I doubt someone genuinely monk like would be that attractive to so many fans! His relationship with Liu Yi Fei (the Mulan actress) is definitely a plus point for me. They both didn’t speak the others language, or live/work in the same country, so I think it must have taken a big effort for the both of them. Got to love a man who makes the effort!

:winkx:

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

I feel like this was actually part of his appeal, that he appeared snobbish but actually wasn’t. He just needed someone like DH to tell it to him straight - like the way he was a bit of a square at the sushi restaurant, giving a lecture to DH about food. They’re really not flaws, sort of ways to endear us to how complementary their relationship is. Being selfish or a liar, are more the type of flaws I was talking about. 

That was exactly what made me fall in love with this drama. How DH came along in his life and exposed him to things he would otherwise have never been exposed to before, opening his eyes, and him being pleasantly surprised by it all. And HK in return, imparting his food therapy to her, consoling and counseling her unconsciously. :wub:

53 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

He was, indeed. I wondered many times how they’d communicate? LOL. Both are bad in English and both can’t speak each other’s language. 

4 hours ago, emme_cee said:

I agree with everything you said. This last episode majorly pissed me off. I liked WDH’s character this whole show up until this episode. Wtf is wrong with her?! She lied to her boyfriend that everything was ok when her crazy ex destroyed her apartment? I was fuming. The writer decided to have her feel guilty/embarrassed when her life was possibly in danger and her bf warned her to stay outside? The 2 crazy exes are ruining the show because both main leads are too kind. ML and FL’s inability to cut off the exes is frustrating. The gay friend who was cool at first meddles way too much. And seriously? WDH is mad at KHK for lashing out at her psychopathic ex-Boyfriend when she was not honest to KHK about what happened at her apartment? *SMH* The preview for next episode looks bad for everyone. NE probably screws them all over with the interview...

Exactly! Why’d she go back inside her house when HK told her to step outside immediately? I do not understand! As many of you have pointed out before this is a major no no! I’m aghast that this was on national TV. 

Yes, before this episode I liked Geon-U too. Now not so much. I

I really wonder how the writers are gonna redeem the story in the next few episodes. 

Edited by starrynic
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Honestly, I would love to see HK confront DH about their relationship. He’s been treading so carefully and he’s been patient, but it’s probably time to shake things up. DH might not have realized how bothered, worried or upset HK is about her entanglement with JH. Speaking openly and sincerely will help her to understand his feelings and also help her to realize any failure on her part in their relationship. For instance, how is she not bothered that she lied to him about the break in? Somehow that feels huge to me. 

Yes yes yes to all you’ve said! I want to see DH on the giving side now please. She really needs to show some love to our ML. Not break his heart 

• Like 7