[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

Why do I this to myself? I watch a raw episode because I am addicted but almost never have time to rewatch it with subs. That is because I am usually following 4 other series.

So. I am rewatching episode 9 and goodness might as well watch it raw. The subs are so bad its not even translating the right things.  So anyway, was Keanu ever deregistered? Because a patient is allowed to hoard their medication. Its a bit much to say they died from a prescription medication overdose. A family can be resentful but the reporter who defamed a psychiatrist on air needs to substantiate a report and check that it is not commonly done by other patients. Anyway that's all I got from episode 9. Besides seeing the trench coat in DH's room in episode 11. I mean I thought I saw it but the preview went by a bit fast. But the accusations are nuts since I see overdose cases ALL the time. Any medication can be misused and overdosing on psychiatric medication is a regular and common presentation. And yes some die. 

Anyhow I have to get to real life after this. It feels a bit strange to watch episode 9 after watching episode 11 raw. I don't think I will need to rewatch it again as I will probably end up watching episode 12 raw tonight. As if I can wait 24hrs for a subbed episode right? I am a bit bothered about Keanu that's all. Even if he exposes JJH it doesn't restore his reputation as a psychatrist. That is why I am bothered with this plot line. His family will not return and he might not get any new patients. By the way he did not refer to his wife as an ex- wife. Did they divorce and I missed it somewhere?

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

52 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Anyhow I have to get to real life after this. It feels a bit strange to watch episode 9 after watching episode 11 raw. I don't think I will need to rewatch it again as I will probably end up watching episode 12 raw tonight. As if I can wait 24hrs for a subbed episode right? I am a bit bothered about Keanu that's all. Even if he exposes JJH it doesn't restore his reputation as a psychatrist. That is why I am bothered with this plot line. His family will not return and he might not get any new patients. By the way he did not refer to his wife as an ex- wife. Did they divorce and I missed it somewhere?

I’m not really clear on all the allegations in the article that JH wrote. I assume upcoming episodes will clarify the details. However, if the truth comes out, at least it may clear up the allegation that Keanu willfully harmed his patients. A good name is invaluable even if he’s unable to practice again. I certainly can empathize with people like him who are falsely accused of things they did not do.

• Like 7

Know what I think is missing? The part when Im So-ra found out that Do-hee's mysterious dinner mate and the enigmatic Dr. Kim Hae-kyung are one and the same.  I would have loved to see that! :)

What they showed in episode 11 was So-ra just confirming with Do-hee if she and Dr. Kim are dating. 

On another note, is everyone still breathing after that highly anticipated kiss between our leads (and the BTS clips that were posted afterwards)? I personally found the kiss very beautiful and shows the different levels of engagement of KHK and WDH as far as their relationship is concerned. KHK is already decided and clear about what he wants and how he feels for her. WDH, on the other hand, is still feeling tentative because I think she still subconcsciously feels the fear of giving herself completely and being hurt again. Hence, he's more of the giver here while Do-hee is receiving but we can see she is reciprocating, though tentatively and with some level of shyness.  It's a testament to KHK's discipline and self- control, as well as his character, that he doesn't push WDH and takes it slow with her.  It shows how much he really loves and respects her. I love that! :heart4:

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

11 hours ago, airgelaal said:

I think its JH, who decided to frame Keanu. I'm sure, there a lot of cameras outside. 

That's what I was thinking as well.  And I believe that JH stayed in the apartment long enough for DH to get a glimpse of his disguise so that she would turn against Keanu.  Since Keanu faced down JH about his dirty dealings in the past, JH will be happy to use Keanu as a tool in his campaign to get DH back and if he manages to squash Keanu again (this time by sending him to jail) that will just make JH happier.

I suspect that one of the reasons Keanu stayed near DH's apartment was that he knew that JH would try to get close to DH so essentially Keanu was low-key protecting DH while waiting to deal with JH.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Seriously NE and JH are all shades of sick. I would be terribly emotionally exhausted if I were either HK or DH. Their emotions are constantly played up and down and up and down, I guess the only thing keeping HK and DH sane is their ultra sweet relationship.

I did not expect NE to stoop as low as JH (but then again in ep 11, JH just sunk lower) to do anything for the sake of winning. She's upfront being nasty by shooting DH over and over again. Just glad that AY saw it all and took NE down. Really hate that she's always using tears and sympathy with HK. He's too kind and gets played out by these little tricks of hers. It's good that he drew a boundary when she wanted to go on and on about how JH and DH still seems prospective together and very much still in love.

I am also glad HK is super openly honest toward DH and insists on clarifying things even when she does not ask for it. Though he did not push NE away at that moment when he realised DH saw them (because he's being too much of a gentleman), he still wanted to make sure DH is assured. There's a lot to like about their relationship dynamics here. Even in the scene where she's watching her movie, he goes to work, she gets a nap while he's working. It feels like they respect each others likings, responsibilities and space. Even when they don't enjoy doing the same thing together, they can do their own thing while being in each other's presence and still enjoy it. Already feeling like an old couple who has been together for awhile hahahaha.

AY has been such a key player so far. Stopping JH from going after DH at night as well. I already love AY but now I double that up. Hope that once Keanu explains himself to AY, she would find a way to restore Keanu's name and do justice to whatever has happened. I think she is an authority figure in JH's life after him leaving his family so hopefully her words hold strength for JH. Although he does not seem repentant of his actions, it would be nice to see AY having some parental influence on him and able to guide him from his wayward thinking.

Interesting speculation about JH trying to frame Keanu but I think him tearing the notebook leaves an obvious clue as there's no good reason for Keanu to do that. And I believe DH has an established level of trust for Keanu (enough that she even drinks alcohol with this strange homeless man without fearing harm for her life). But I do not fully understand JH's reasoning for creating such a scene in DH's home. He's just seriously messed up.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

@fluffyloaf  gaaahhh! There are so many KHK-WDH scenes that I love, but that moment when she was watching her movie while he was working is probably one of the most subtle yet heartwarming ones between them.  I agree that it shows how they respect each other in every sense. He knows she likes her classic films, and she knows he needs to do some work.  They don't need to be constantly in each other's space in order to be assured of their love for each other. It's a very mature kind of love that they already share, and to think they only recently formalized their relationship. But then again, they had already known each other intimately before they even knew each other's names. :)

• Like 5
  • Love 7

The paintball fight was so funny. I never tried bantball before but after seing this scene I want to play. :D

And We had a kiss from the OTP. :P

“My Unfamiliar Family” And “Dinner Mate” In Close Race For No. 1 Monday-Tuesday Drama

Jun 30, 2020
by R. Jun
33285760270642c08d1ffaeee35440f1.jpeg?s=
tvN’s “My Unfamiliar Family” and MBC’s “Dinner Mate” are in a close race for the spot as the No. 1 Monday-Tuesday drama.
MBC’s “Dinner Mate” also held steady this week with nationwide averages of 3.3 and 4.8 percent viewership. The previous episodes recorded 3.4 and 4.8 percent.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, fluffyloaf said:

AY has been such a key player so far.

Although I was annoyed by her character at first, now I see her as a shining light in this drama.  Her scenes with Keanu are what I wait for in every episode.  The scene where she is drinking with Keanu and lowers her head to his hand is just beautiful.

AY is really key to drawing so much together in this drama.  Even though she and Keanu have been background throughout, I think that they will play a big part in working things out with the craziness from JH.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Ah-Young is Do-hee's mentor, in her career and her personal life.  I think Ah-Young helps her stay grounded because Do-hee can be very emotional sometimes (e.g. Jae-hyuk breakup scene, Hae-kyung dinner mate "breakup" hehehe).  Initially, I felt that the idea of a female CEO like her who put up her own company from scratch falling for a hobo was too far-fetched, mainly because they won't have anything in common.  But of course, in dramaland, the hobo is often a prince in disguise, or in this case, a renowned psychiatrist unjustly stripped of his license.  :) 

Agree with @thistle's theory that Ah-Young and Dr. Hyun-ho (a.k.a. Keanu) might play a pivotal part in the story climax.  Keanu knows Jung Jae-hyuk's background and I wouldn't be surprised if Ah-Young finds out from him too.  

I just hope they also delve a bit into Jin No-eul's background.  Though I do think she's a spoiled young woman with feelings of entitlement, I'm sure there's a reason behind it all.  Maybe aside from his own hang-up with his mom, No-eul's background was the reason why Hae-kyung stayed with her for so long.  Being a psychiatrist, he probably tends to rationalize the behavior and motivations of people around him, which is why he can be more forgiving than most.  

On the much-touted kiss scene, it's really funny how so many people are over the moon with it, while others think it lacked the oomph that they were waiting for.  Some people think it didn't live up to the intensity of Hae-kyung and Do-hee's chemistry from the get-go.  As far as I'm concerned, it was pretty decent considering it was their first kiss and Hae-kyung knows Do-hee's still a bit uneasy about everything.  We do know he wants so much more from her, but he's just such a decent guy that he's willing to bide his time until she's ready.  Short of them actually doing a hot scene together (which is probably the only thing that would live up to their electrifying chemistry), the kiss was par for the course. :)

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Watching episode 11 now and  :onfirex: @ NE and DH’s mum. 

I know we all dislike JH, but props to Lee Ji Hoon for making him so believable. As someone mentioned earlier, his creepiness is not obvious, and people who know him tend to like him. It’s this shrewdness of character, and control of his actions, which makes him quite terrifying. I think he’s quite calculating and clever. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

It's funny.  I just read a comment that SSH and SJH act like siblings in their kiss BTS.  Uh.  I have male siblings.  We don't act that way.  :huh:

@cantbreathe agree!  This is my first time to watch Lee Ji Hoon and he acts really well.   He makes Jung Jae-hyuk seem so mild-mannered and nice.  It really feels scary when you see him all alone and the expression in his eyes shift.  Bravo!  Son Na-eun, on the other hand, isn't so bad, although there are times her face doesn't seem to catch up with the feelings in her lines.  She just hasn't mastered yet the nuanced acting that would have made her character sympathetic.  I think in time, she'll gain the experience and become a better actress.  :)

• Like 5
  • LOL 2