[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

I think my radio silence demonstrates my deep disappointment in where the show’s heading. Le sigh. They’ve really switched gears I’m almost not sure we’re even watching the same show anymore. Ugh. I can’t stand the inconsistencies in DH’s character. She goes from agreeing to be his girlfriend, telling NE to get lost, pushing HK away AGAIN, kissing him, then feeling uncomfortable when he gets too close. What the hell’s going on?? Is it just me? Someone please explain! I’ve been watching and loving DM for the feels and now all I feel is disappointment. Dinner Mate, eating with you has become uncomfortable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

@ednamode101 Awww missed you and understandable about not loving where the story is headed. Totally get it.

@Ayame Thanks for the preview.

I am still at work. 

-But interested in learning more about Keanu.

-OMG those clips @YuSanSeul Hubba Hubba

-I was fanning myself when I saw HK looking sexily at DH wanting to eat her as a snack after he pulled her back into his place and was leaning into her backed up against the wall. Only she was saved from a sexy kiss by a call from MOM! (Sigh MOM MOM MOM)

-I loved the clip of HK hugging DH doing the back hug, trying to tie her hair but then touching her waist. OMG those sexy stairs are so melty from HK. The fact DH who cannot cook is trying to cook for HK is sweet. He knew she was bad and she is making noodles. (Yup he eats badly cooked noodles up to par as his mom's thanks to DH. Def got his mom's blessing for sure.) Glad his mom liked DH for HK and saw he was happy with her. 

-Good job for BJ sending DH to HK! (Very good job BJ)

I think those sexy clips are life and holding down the fort for me now.

• Like 8

Hello Everyone!
I have not posted in a while but I want to come out from hiding due to my love for Dinner Mate.

Initially I was on board on this drama for Seo Ji Hye. I was a fan since Over the Rainbow.

I have not watched SSH since My Princess which I solely enjoyed.

This drama is such a gem. 
The acting

The storyline.

And especially SJH and SSH’s explosive chemistry.

BTW, can someone make a couple thread so we can disuss the drama and our OTP on separately? 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, ednamode101 said:

She goes from agreeing to be his girlfriend, telling NE to get lost, pushing HK away AGAIN, kissing him, then feeling uncomfortable when he gets too close. What the hell’s going on?? Is it just me? Someone please explain! I’ve been watching and loving DM for the feels and now all I feel is disappointment.

In the current episode, DH actually demonstrated how she's not immune to HK's advances. In fact, after HK told her to wait for him so he could drive her back home, she showed how she was frustrated at her mom's poor timing and how disappointed she was that she couldn't stay at his apartment.:lol:

I mean, imagine the embarrassment of your mom yelling at you on the phone, describing your apartment as though it is a pigsty, and demanding your adult self to meet her there, all within hearing distance of your super hot boyfriend. I would have asked the earth to swallow me whole.:crazy:

To me, it was also good that nothing happened between them during that time. HK's vulnerability due to his mom's death and DH indulging his/their physical needs would have left things in poor taste. His vulnerability was even described by Keanu as accompanied by symptoms of whichever condition HK knew he had. Besides, his mom was just buried earlier during the day.

On the bright side, though the timing for any physical, *ehem*, intimate, *ehem*, show of affection for them wasn't right yet, at least we know the sexual tension for both was present and that it wasn't a one-sided thing. :)

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

@PreciousByTheBay Thanks for your post and good points to know they still have sizzling chemistry but the timing was bad for anything else as he was still recovering from his mom's loss.

LOL good point embarrassing to have mom on the phone talking and your BF overhearing her complaining. Def not good.

I look forward to their sexy time when it does happen. :ohboy2: 

I saw an IG clip.

But the ending though---OMG! I hope he was not seriously injured.

• Like 4

Finally, we get to see DH reaching out to HK instead of him doing the pushing and pulling in their relationship. Some people say that DH is still giving HK mixed signals with his romantic advances but I agree with those that say that's not the case. The sexual tension between them was high in both the kitchen scene and the scene by his door and DH actually expressed frustration that her mom cut their flirtation short. DH was clearly playing coy in that scene, she knew that HK wasn't playing games he was trying to get itttt and her body language showed that she wasn't averse to that idea. I just realized that after NE said he has an annoying habit of suppressing his feelings to make others comfortable and his mom told him to get his woman back, HK has been getting bolder and bolder whether it's expressing his frustrations/jealousy about her being set up on a blind date or wanting to get intimate with DH. The only thing that had me annoyed is that HK was once again the one to have something horrible happen to him, I wish they hadn't made him a sacrifice for JH's attention-seeking antics. Clearly that's what it was, if he was truly planning to kill himself, why wait and do it in front of the woman he supposedly loves and says he wants to leave a good memory of himself with? I'm annoyed that we're surrounded by psychiatrists in this show but none were able to accurately gauge the danger JH is and act accordingly. He should've been institutionalized the minute he trespassed into DH's place and started harassing HK. However, idk how mental illness is handled in Korea so I'm unsure about whether this is an accurate portrayal of how the society handles it or if it's just a case of bad writing. Next Monday's episode looks like another depressing rollercoaster, hopefully our writers give us some sexy time between the leads by the finale, I'm aware of the channel's time slot so it doesn't have to be raunchy just classyyy. Plssss writer-nims >.< 

Honestly, this episode's tension was great but it still can't beat the most subtly sexually charged scene to this date being the bathroom scene between Deokmi and Ryan Gold in 'Her Private Life' when he loosens her snagged hair from the scarf. Literally so charged but not even 1% raunchy, I could not believe how masterfully done it was. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, ednamode101 said:

I think my radio silence demonstrates my deep disappointment in where the show’s heading. Le sigh. They’ve really switched gears I’m almost not sure we’re even watching the same show anymore. Ugh. I can’t stand the inconsistencies in DH’s character. She goes from agreeing to be his girlfriend, telling NE to get lost, pushing HK away AGAIN, kissing him, then feeling uncomfortable when he gets too close. What the hell’s going on?? Is it just me? Someone please explain! I’ve been watching and loving DM for the feels and now all I feel is disappointment. Dinner Mate, eating with you has become uncomfortable.

@ednamode101 Totally agree with all you said. I’ve been ranting about how standoffish and confusing DH has been to HK and how she doesn’t deserve him after everything he had done, to love her. 

But. The last episode is one of my fave ones yet. I feel like she has redeemed herself when she finally realized and confirmed her true feelings for HK. I sobbed when she dropped everything whilst cleaning her apartment and ran to HK when he lost his mother. 

I loved how they referenced the very first episode when drunken DH told HK how she is suffocated and feels like she can’t breathe. HK said he can’t breathe when he doesn’t know if DH is safe or not. DH in return said she can’t breathe when she’s worried about him being in pain. Especially loved it when HK yelled at her albeit out of concern and how DH just took it like she deserved it. And that hug after that convo was just heart melting. :wub:

DH is finally becoming the girlfriend that we all want her to be and somebody whom HK deserves. She’s back to her cute and quirky self and I’m so happy and glad for our OTP.  Dang there are so many other swoon worthy moments in this episode, but I’ll just stop here. I saw HK’s accident coming and finally, it’s our girl’s turn to show how much she loves HK and I can’t wait for the last 2 episodes. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

I still haven't watched the last two episodes I'm scared I didn't like how they turned a professional psychiatrist into someone who couldn't listen to a patient objectively this was IMO one of the best kdrama this years why oh why did the drama God's disappoint at the end 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hoping that the last 2 episodes of this drama would already lose DH's ambigious feelings towards HY. I mean, girl owe up to him! Here's a gorgeous man who is thinking of only you even in a time of bereavement, who ate your weird tasting noodles and who is asking you to stay. What is there to dilly dally about? Forget the ex, bear no guilt and instead put your 100% attention to HY. If you're unwilling I can take over, hahaha!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I’ve been skim-watching the couple scenes of the last episode (still haven’t watched eps 11/12/13 though) and I have to say the scene where HK eats the noodles DH makes is beautiful, the dialogue and chemistry is so effortless, so natural. That’s exactly why I fell in love with this drama at the beginning. DH was always comfortable around HK at the beginning, this and their growing awareness of their happiness in the others presence was what made it great viewing. 

But while that was great, I wanted to say that I really don’t like scenes where she tenses up when he gets close (we had a moment in ep14 when he back hugs her and another when he tries to do her hair), because it looks very much like she’s recoiling, and that isn’t comfortable to watch.  I get they’re trying to make her appear hyper aware about this new relationship and show her hesitancy, but it just looks like she doesn’t want HK to touch her. I much prefer seeing her comfortable in his presence, a bit awkward, and sometimes shy.

I also noticed, in CLOY, Dan’s mother ended Dan’s engagement with Hyun Bin (can’t remember his name in the drama) because Dan had a man she loved, who “loved her more than his own life.” This is what DH also has, so that’s got to be mum problem over. HK sacrificed himself because he knew DH would never get over it if JH died because he was still messed up over their relationship. HK is the greatest. No wonder NE is still hung up on him!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

19 minutes ago, Cherie Cee said:

Hoping that the last 2 episodes of this drama would already lose DH's ambigious feelings towards HY. I mean, girl owe up to him! Here's a gorgeous man who is thinking of only you even in a time of bereavement, who ate your weird tasting noodles and who is asking you to stay. What is there to dilly dally about? Forget the ex, bear no guilt and instead put your 100% attention to HY. If you're unwilling I can take over, hahaha!

LMAO at your last sentence. I’d take him too, pretty please! Going back to topic, didn’t DH lose all her ambiguities in the last episode already? I’m confident that the next 2 episodes will be more of her giving in to her true feelings. 

• Like 3

This has unfortunately just fallen off the rails these past couple of episodes as its gone to the generic kdrama bag of tropes. Do-Hee pulls the noble idiocy card and instead of taking some time and doing some self-reflecting and growing, immediately goes back to Hae-Kyung just because his mom died and she "has no other choice." Taking the time for some growth would've made better sense and would have reflected what happened in the webtoon. And now, a car accident out of nowhere. Worst thing is that in the previews, Jae-Hyung is still walking around when he should have been forcibly (involuntarily) committed awhile ago, especially after a suicide attempt. There's 2 psychiatrists around him, plenty of sane adults, and yet he's STILL not in jail or a hospital.  That simply doesn't ring true.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, starrynic said:

LMAO at your last sentence. I’d take him too, pretty please! Going back to topic, didn’t DH lose all her ambiguities in the last episode already? I’m confident that the next 2 episodes will be more of her giving in to her true feelings. 

Sorry but I am first in line, get behind me please.:gangnamstyle:

Re DH: yes she's on HY's side already and may finally be over her hang ups about her past. But girl,  you gotta show him your love, he deserves to be loved back!

• LOL 2

22 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

mmediately goes back to Hae-Kyung just because his mom died and she "has no other choice."

That line was a real romance killer for me.  A person who "has no choice" but to be with someone is not in love.  I won't say what my immediate reaction was but it wasn't nice.

12 minutes ago, thistle said:

That line was a real romance killer for me.  A person who "has no choice" but to be with someone is not in love.  I won't say what my immediate reaction was but it wasn't nice.

When she said that I don’t think she meant that? I felt like she said she “had no choice” but to give in to her feelings and love him? Because right after that she said she was sorry it took her so long? And I interpreted that as she was sorry she took so long to show him she loves him too. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, starrynic said:

When she said that I don’t think she meant that? I felt like she said she “had no choice” but to give in to her feelings and love him? Because right after that she said she was sorry it took her so long? And I interpreted that as she was sorry she took so long to show him she loves him too. 

This was exactly how I thought that line and that scene meant, too. 

For any KDramas in general, I distance myself from relying fully on the English closed caption. This is because native speakers of Korean often talk of either how drama translations aren't fully accurate or how there is a cultural aspect to what we think may be the odd things the characters say in the story.

Besides, all the scenes afterwards, at least to me, show a much clearer and consistent Do-hee when it comes to her feelings for HK. Referring to DH's scenes prior to her going to the hospital to comfort HK, we had this progression:

1. Wanting to take JH to the police station with the intention of reporting him for trespassing & stalking 

It took for that incident in HK's clinic to happen for her to realize she was wrong for lying to HK, but somehow at least it helped her wake up to the reality that she's finally done with JH and his dangerous ways. 

2. The overpass/bridge scene after she leaves JH with GW 

We see here two things: a. She fears her past; b. She values her present. I'll cut her some slack, here. At least we see no ambiguity in her feelings for HK and she does not detest him for what happened in the clinic.

3. Spring cleaning her room 

Symbolic of throwing away remnants of her past and how she's finally ready to face her present and future with HK.

4. Stalled spring cleaning 

Symbolic of how there are many things that still control the present, including her past, and the fact that though DH can control her choices moving forward, she has no control over what happens to HK, his mom, and JH.

5. Hospital & funeral scene 

Shows a leap in maturity for DH plus what @starrynic said, above. I know the "leap in maturity" is arguable but I'd like to think there are times in life when we set aside our issues to care for our loved ones whose problems appear to be bigger and more urgent than our own.

6. HK's apartment (Cooking Scene) 

DH's initial nervousness in the possibility of being intimate with HK is a warm-up of what will happen by that lucky door later :lol: 

7. Talk with NE

I love, love how she stood her ground as HK's gf. Here, we also see her considerate and caring side (most likely the reason why she constantly lies). She could have grilled and burned NE but she didn't, even approaching the girl to comfort her. 

8. Eavesdropping DH

DH's quirky-silly side is back and I love it!

9. Door Scene

Oh you can definitely see her wanting to give in to HK's, *clears throat*, "charms".

Unfortunately, the listed behavior progression for DH is only more about erasing any ambiguity in her feelings for HK (her valuing her present). I suppose, in the last two episodes, we will come full circle in her confronting her fears about her past. I hope it is not too long though as I still want that "sexy time" with DH and HK. :D

• Like 3
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, PreciousByTheBay said:

3. Spring cleaning her room 

Symbolic of throwing away remnants of her past and how she's finally ready to face her present and future with HK.

4. Stalled spring cleaning 

Symbolic of how there are many things that still control the present, including her past, and the fact that though DH can control her choices moving forward, she has no control over what happens to HK, his mom, and JH.

6. HK's apartment (Cooking Scene) 

DH's initial nervousness in the possibility of being intimate with HK is a warm-up of what will happen by that lucky door later :lol: 

7. Talk with NE

I love, love how she stood her ground as HK's gf. Here, we also see her considerate and caring side (most likely the reason why she constantly lies). She could have grilled and burned NE but she didn't, even approaching the girl to comfort her. 

8. Eavesdropping DH

DH's quirky-silly side is back and I love it!

9. Door Scene

Oh you can definitely see her wanting to give in to HK's, *clears throat*, "charms".

Unfortunately, the listed behavior progression for DH is only more about erasing any ambiguity in her feelings for HK (her valuing her present). I suppose, in the last two episodes, we will come full circle in her confronting her fears about her past. I hope it is not too long though as I still want that "sexy time" with DH and HK. :D

Thanks for sharing points 3 and 4, @PreciousByTheBay now it makes sense to me. I was thinking why that scene of her cleaning was needed. Ah. It has a way deeper meaning. 

Yes! I love that DH is back to her cute and quirky self I missed so much from the earlier episodes! 

I love that she has never been a bi*tch to NE and she respects their past relationship, just like HK respects hers too. She even told NE to hit HK :lol:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

May I just say that, although I'm thoroughly annoyed and disappointed with the way the writer handled the plot development in the last few episodes, it hasn't lessened my love for Kim Hae-kyung and Woo Do-hee?  Yep, despite the seeming inconsistencies with Do-hee's character development, I still love her. And of course, we all know that, out of all the characters in this drama, Hae-kyung seems to be the most consistently written.

I've always had the opinion that the strength of this drama lies in the organic and genuine chemistry between its main characters and episode 14 proved that again. Those scenes with Hae-kyung and Do-hee were just so natural.  When he saw her in his kitchen and he hugged her from behind, I really felt his sadness and grief, at the same time the love he had for her and the underlying gratitude for her presence in his life.  And her genuine concern and affection and love for him also shone through this scene.  It was beautiful in its simplicity, both in dialogue and execution. This. This is the magic formula that made Dinner Mate's premise and initial episodes so wonderful to watch.  It was like watching intimate moments between these two people, being an invisible observer of their journey into healing and love.  Makes me wonder what happened that the writer seemed to have set aside this magic formula that's been holding this drama together all along. :huh:

• Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1