Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
0ly40

[Drama 2020] Born Again, 본 어게인

You guys are better than me b/c I still haven’t watched the last 2 episodes English subbed yet. I kinda got the gist of it while watching the live version but couldn’t stomach the reality of how ridiculously this show ended. Like the majority, l too will pretend that the show ended at episode 10 while SB being carried away by SH. It was fun reading everyone’s POV and hope to see you all next time.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, whiteclover said:

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/477/0000247312

Spoiler

Not sure if anyone is still interested but i found the article about the change & addition in writers which i mentioned before!!!

To summarize(after translating) basically the main writer started off as Jung Soo Mi for this drama. However, there seem to be some internal feud (probably over the viewership) that led to additional assitant writers being added and ultimately change in main writer (to Kim Kyung Min).

so based on the report, an assistant writer was initially added for Episode 10 (which was where i personally felt the writing’s change in direction). But seems like the ratings dropped further and they there after added another few assistants and ultimately a switch in the main writers at the end.......

LOL THIS WAS DIRECTLY TRANSLATED FROM THE ARTICLE(feel free to edit if this translation is not accurate!!)

“Seven people are participating in the script alone. In the end, the content went to the mountains. The story of stalking and attempted murder, which used love as a shield, was hard to gain sympathy from viewers.” (lmao i guess the Korean viewers are normal and sane as well)

"Born Again" received attention initially for its fresh subject of dealing with past life and reincarnation, together with the actors' dual roles. However, the broadcast ended up lonesome as a result to the internal feud over changing of the main writer.” 

——— 

Sigh if thats the case, i guess maybe JSM wanted HE x HB/ SB x SH to be the end game, but not KBS ? Idk man :( what a pity 

I just dropped in to say wow this thread is still alive and HAH I KNEW IT THEY FRIGGIN CHANGED THE WRITER LIKE EVERYDAY CHANGING CLOTHES!!!!

Like shut up already you stakeholders, let the creative person do their thing!!!! I am so angry. Can they just release like a reshoot version. Like has any drama sparked this much outrage before?! Like if I was in Korea, I would organise some petition and stand in front of KBS to protest. If I had been the original writer, I would be so angry about how they butchered the story man. I hope all their cast, crew, director and writer will boycott them for their reckless decision making and reckless approval of script. Do they think audience is dumb or what?! If they cannot take the critic from the original script, they shouldn't have tried pretending to be brave enough to attempt at something new! Stick to your trope dramas, KBS. Some other channel could have done good with with the original writer and this original BA script!!!!!

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

Yes , i feel relieved/at peace now. I hope JSM gets another chance at writing , but this time without her creativity/orginality being suppressed or manipulated by the higher ups. But definitely, i think there were still parts that could have been better for the first 10 episodes...still, i will close one eye considering this being her first production.

Now i feel like i can properly send off this drama knowing what caused the bizarre shift in the last 6 eps. I will let my memory of this drama remain at Ep 10!! Thank you to everyone who stayed through this thread ~ i will still drop by often to see if there are interesting comments/ exchanges about the 3 leads. If not, til we meet on another thread again :) 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

This thread is still alive because the frustration is kinda of funny. :sweat_smile:
We are all unite in the hate.

Well, poor writer! The script always had some problems, but it was really entertaining and interesting until episode 10, KBS messed up everything.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Let me show you "a kind of therapy" - yes, we can feell the upside down emotions :w00t:

@Lmangla has started a very interesting topic :)

Continue-The-Story

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, whiteclover said:

Now i feel like i can properly send off this drama knowing what caused the bizarre shift in the last 6 eps. I will let my memory of this drama remain at Ep 10!!

I think you are luckier than me...I tried to just see the 1st 10 eps as the entire show, but when I started to rewatch, all the rubbish they stuffed into the last 6 eps just came to me :bawling: And I was like "Did HE really love HB unconditionally? What if she knew the truth about her parents then? Was she going to get married to HB?".......A million doubts occurred to me so that I cannot concentrate on their story in present life! Wow, nice job of them to ruined my feelings and fantasy of the love story!!! :bawling: I was always thinking at least the love bw HB and HE was pure and unconditional, and they meant to be......Now as long as I think about the show, millions of doubts popped up against my original thoughts!

I am not a person who is easily invested in a show so much~ I like reasoning a story and judging how well the actings served the story, and I can understand what caused agony and pains on the characters. But I seldom tried to really "feel" the heartbreaking and gut-wrenching emotions of characters as if I was one of them. This time, though, I truly tried to imagine the feelings of SB and SH, and I felt I was in sync with their developments and decisions made in the scenes. Bummer! These experience was all ruined in the last 6 eps because I cannot "unsee" them... What an irony~ I finally got so invested in a drama emotionally and they screwed me up! Now I only wish the show could gradually faded away in my memory so I can just see it as a lame story without feeling the pains of characters, especially KSH/HB's. Darn, why life was so cruel on him...? :bawling:

Anyway, one big lesson I learned is that it is unadvisable to get emotionally invested in a drama before its finale and reading the comments of audience first~~~It is so emotionally traumatizing...I feel so fooled and manipulated by the despicable writing of the show~~

Well, I am sure I will stop by to read your posts from time to time, and gradually peeled its negative effects off my mind. I am glad that I did not feel so alone and upset when watching it. Take care and stay healthy! 

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

https://streamable.com/u3h62a 

Omg i just watched JSY Vlive and guess what i found. She confirm that the ending is indeed open ending haha.

What shes saying above is

(reading comment) : im sad for SaFo couple.

No, if u think about SaFo couple, it can be SaFo couple. If you think about Cheonsa couple, it can be Cheonsa couple. Its like that.

ps : sorry for the background haha. My apps wont record when i open Vlive. It needs another app that can work for the background lol.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, nitttss said:

(reading comment) : im sad for SaFo couple.

No, if u think about SaFo couple, it can be SaFo couple. If you think about Cheonsa couple, it can be Cheonsa couple. Its like that.

It's kinda bullsht considering she chose JB over SH :tired:

Well I guess we can just pretend that she had brain damage after getting hit over the head and came back to her senses later on lmao. That would be the only sensible reason.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

To be frank, I was always on GJC/CJB's side in it,  but it was more fitting for his tragic character to die and give the heart than to end up with Sabin. 

• Like 4

Not kinda richard simmons! Straight up richard simmons! Haeun!  I agree...What richard simmons me off is this was Lee Soo Hyuk's chance to get the recognition for his talent and have true leading man opportunities. He deserves it. I love Jang Ki Yong, he too is talented and yes gorgeous but he is in the running for major opportunities. LSH put his heart and soul into that character and I understand he really wants to have a serious acting career. It sucks that he got shafted. I feel more people would have picked up on the show if it went the way it originally seemed to regarding true eternal love. I usually am not drawn to romance drama's but this drew me in. Damn!..my heart fluttered lol I had seen LSH in something long ago and I really wasn't interested. I felt from the poster JKY was going to be another dreamy love lead but I was looking for something to fill in a time slot. I wish he'd continued to play against type and them not turn him into a hero. It's just so absurd.  Ugh!

• Like 11

9 hours ago, whiteclover said:

Yes , i feel relieved/at peace now. I hope JSM gets another chance at writing , but this time without her creativity/orginality being suppressed or manipulated by the higher ups. But definitely, i think there were still parts that could have been better for the first 10 episodes...still, i will close one eye considering this being her first production.

Now i feel like i can properly send off this drama knowing what caused the bizarre shift in the last 6 eps. I will let my memory of this drama remain at Ep 10!! Thank you to everyone who stayed through this thread ~ i will still drop by often to see if there are interesting comments/ exchanges about the 3 leads. If not, til we meet on another thread again :) 

I am with you on this.  I sort of end this drama at Episode 10/11.   KBS2 should have stop at these episodes instead of dragging everyone down with nonsensical plots.  I came to watch BA because of the young cast, especially for JSY, and also because the its kinda of interesting due to the title BORN AGAIN..  I pity JSY though who got so many hates due to the script. But I will look forward to her next project.. hopefully its A HAPPY VIRUS ONE!!!

• Like 8

Obviously now making MV is the only treatment that makes me  feel better~:love: Please try it yourself~

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Love 3

wow i like that this thread is still going after ending its run :joy: wow and @Yi Gui you are so talented!! If i had half of your skills i would have edited the drama/ other video clips to make an alternate ending for SB x SH / HE x HB 

since everyone’s still lurking around:

Anw just curious, what was the first drama y’all watched the leads in (since its the weekends i am bored) for me:

JSY - Bridal Mask

JKY - It’s Okay, It’s Love

LSH - High School King of Savvy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I decided to take a break from anything related to this drama because I was actually surprised how emotionally invested and upset I was after this drama ended. I have just caught up on all the posts. I wanted to say thank you to everyone on thread for all the great posts, discussions, analysis, shared frustrations and laughter throughout and following the ending of this complete disappointment of a drama. This thread has been like therapy:lol:

On 6/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, whiteclover said:

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/477/0000247312

Not sure if anyone is still interested but i found the article about the change & addition in writers which i mentioned before!!!

Spoiler

To summarize(after translating) basically the main writer started off as Jung Soo Mi for this drama. However, there seem to be some internal feud (probably over the viewership) that led to additional assitant writers being added and ultimately change in main writer (to Kim Kyung Min).

so based on the report, an assistant writer was initially added for Episode 10 (which was where i personally felt the writing’s change in direction). But seems like the ratings dropped further and they there after added another few assistants and ultimately a switch in the main writers at the end.......

LOL THIS WAS DIRECTLY TRANSLATED FROM THE ARTICLE(feel free to edit if this translation is not accurate!!)

“Seven people are participating in the script alone. In the end, the content went to the mountains. The story of stalking and attempted murder, which used love as a shield, was hard to gain sympathy from viewers.” (lmao i guess the Korean viewers are normal and sane as well)

"Born Again" received attention initially for its fresh subject of dealing with past life and reincarnation, together with the actors' dual roles. However, the broadcast ended up lonesome as a result to the internal feud over changing of the main writer.” 

——— 

Sigh if thats the case, i guess maybe JSM wanted HE x HB/ SB x SH to be the end game, but not KBS ? Idk man :( what a pity 

Thank you so much for this article and translating @whiteclover  The article has actually given me a lot of closure and explains so much!  We were right the low ratings caused a lot of damage. @fluffyloaf's post on pg 73 about how events might have transpired behind the scenes turned out to be pretty accurate!  Now we know why so many characters, themes, clues, references, plot threads were just dropped or seemed to abruptly change; why the tome of the writing changed; why they suddenly white-washed JC/JB's character; why they did SH/HB's character so dirty; why SB acted like she had a lobotomy...I truly wonder how the actors really feel about this drama? I can't imagine how difficult it must have been trying to make sense of how to play these characters with so many different writers and last minute changes on the tight shooting schedule.

What a disaster this was for Jung Soo Mi's first drama! You know things were bad if there was even an article released about it. SEVEN writers!  :dizzy: Do you know what else this Kim Kyung Min person has written?

On 6/10/2020 at 5:49 AM, whiteclover said:
Spoiler

I actually liked the premiere of the drama and felt that it was very balanced between the romance and thriller aspect. We quickly open to a story of a detective and his lover and a ongoing serial killing case. The entire plot was fast paced which led me to continue watching !! But i do agree the transitioning parts were weird and barely noticeable in the drama, i was confused on the 4 year leap too lol. It was then in episode 3 & 4 that i felt the editing was kinda off?? But i got over it afterwards because it got better.

But in the modern set up, i felt they introduced too many characters, which aren't useful or properly utiliized. Eg. STH introduction linked to the suspect that SH caught in the first few episodes. I am okay with this set up, but then STH kind of disappear off in the middle of the series (only occasional appearance)  and then suddenly they remember oh he has to take revenge and appear just when JB gets shot in the abandoned building. LOL

Another character will be SA's? I read the character synopsis that she was suppose to be sort of like a "bad" woman who have fleeting relationships with several men (because this was written in the description "The same was true of love. Sang-ah loved men, and when she got sick of them, she threw them away"). So i thot oh probably SH will just be engaged to her without love or any sorts, but then the opening proved elsewise? The show did kinda made SH a pseudo jerk for dumping his fiancee right before the wedding for another woman. It may be seen as justifiable because SA turns out to be psychotic, but what if she wasn't? 

Also, i felt like the drama didn't link the yellow umbrella murders across the two lives well enough. They just show like ocassional crime scenes and only probably right until the last 6 episodes did they decide to focus on it, making everything seem very anti-climatic and sloppy.

I agree with this. They weren't perfect but I still think the first week premiere episodes were the best in the whole drama.  It felt like the writer, director, actors, story were confident and sure of the story they wanted to tell.  When it switched to the modern day the drama seemed to stumble and never really regained its footing.  I do feel bad for Jung Soo Mi because we were blaming everything on her and now we know the script was taken out of her hands. All the same her writing and story definitely had problems and a stronger writer would have done a better job of bringing together all the themes and elements without everything feeling so disjointed and confusing.  I always felt like JSM had a lot of ideas but not the skill to execute to them which is why she should have streamlined the story to start with.  I read on another thread for a good drama you should be able to summarise a drama in one sentence. All the recent well-received dramas like Crash Landing on You, The World of the Married, itaewon Class, Stove League, Hospital Playlist can be summarised in one sentence . You can also do that with the first two episodes of BA (like you summarised above) but good luck trying to summarise episodes 3-16 it in less than a paragraph!:lol:

On 6/11/2020 at 4:44 PM, fluffyloaf said:
Spoiler

I just dropped in to say wow this thread is still alive and HAH I KNEW IT THEY FRIGGIN CHANGED THE WRITER LIKE EVERYDAY CHANGING CLOTHES!!!!

Like shut up already you stakeholders, let the creative person do their thing!!!! I am so angry. Can they just release like a reshoot version. Like has any drama sparked this much outrage before?! Like if I was in Korea, I would organise some petition and stand in front of KBS to protest. If I had been the original writer, I would be so angry about how they butchered the story man. I hope all their cast, crew, director and writer will boycott them for their reckless decision making and reckless approval of script. Do they think audience is dumb or what?! If they cannot take the critic from the original script, they shouldn't have tried pretending to be brave enough to attempt at something new! Stick to your trope dramas, KBS. Some other channel could have done good with with the original writer and this original BA script!!!!!

I do wish we  could know how her drama would have turned out if the writer had been able to tell her original story.  I think it would have at least made more sense and the overall drama would have been more coherent because there were obviously a lot of hints and clues which were supposed to come into play later on in the story but that went out the window once all the rewrites and different writers got involved. 

I agree with @fluffyloaf that what I don't understand is why KBS commissioned this drama in the first place?  It was a confusing, sad and dark drama full of odd and disturbed characters. Even with only the first four scripts it was obvious this was unlikely to appeal to a mainstream audience on a public channel like KBS. Maybe they weren't expecting the ratings to be quite so low? Maybe they weren't expecting the drama to stay on such a dark tractory?  Maybe they only read the plot synopsis and thought it sounded good?:lol:  I remember thinking about week 2 or 3 this drama might have fared better on OCN (although the crime subplot would have needed better writing for OCN). OCN is used to dark dramas, lower ratings and, at the very least, would have allowed the original writer to finish what she started.

Anyway, everyone try watching Mystic Pop-Up Bar. I started it this week and it's so refreshing!:smiley:

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

8 hours ago, whiteclover said:

Anw just curious, what was the first drama y’all watched the leads in (since its the weekends i am bored)

JSY - Doctor Stranger 

LSH - I think it was scholar who walks the night not really sure tho

JKY - I thought Born Again was my first drama with him because he was the only one from the main cast that I didn't know but turns out he was in It's okay, it's love 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, whiteclover said:

Anw just curious, what was the first drama y’all watched the leads in (since its the weekends i am bored) for me:

JSY-----Born again

LSH----Born again

JKY-----Born again

• Like 5

10 hours ago, whiteclover said:

JSY - Bridal Mask

JSY - Bridal mask

LSH - Scholar who walks the night

JKY - Come and hug me? i watched it's okay thats love but dont remember him there at all?? 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, whiteclover said:

JSY - Bridal Mask

JSY - Bridal Mask

JKY - Go Back Couple ( my worst second lead syndrome ever!)

LSH - High School King of Savvy (Can I take Seo In Guk and put him in my pocket?)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, whiteclover said:

JSY - Born Again

JKY - Go Back Couple

LSH - Sweet Stranger and me

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Haeun said:

JSY - Doctor Stranger 

LSH - I think it was scholar who walks the night not really sure tho

JKY - I thought Born Again was my first drama with him because he was the only one from the main cast that I didn't know but turns out he was in It's okay, it's love 

11 hours ago, nitttss said:

JSY - Bridal mask

LSH - Scholar who walks the night

JKY - Come and hug me? i watched it's okay thats love but dont remember him there at all?? 

@Haeun @nitttssyes yes, JKY appeared briefly as GHJ's boyfriend in the first few episodes! I think it was his debut drama

12 hours ago, Yi Gui said:

JSY-----Born again

LSH----Born again

JKY-----Born again

@Yi Gui awww this is so cute, both male leads are too handsome to choose from tho, what a rare pairing :bawling:

6 hours ago, MVM said:

JSY - Bridal Mask

JKY - Go Back Couple ( my worst second lead syndrome ever!)

LSH - High School King of Savvy (Can I take Seo In Guk and put him in my pocket?)

@MVM omy i know right!! Do you know they will star again in a new film!! Its premiering second half of this year :love:

2 hours ago, jeilopes said:

JSY - Born Again

JKY - Go Back Couple

LSH - Sweet Stranger and me

@jeilopes omg i reallly liked Nam-gil sunbaeee!!  he was perfect :bawling:

and you guys so cute, wasn't expecting anyone to reply :) 

21 hours ago, raziela said:

Anyway, everyone try watching Mystic Pop-Up Bar. I started it this week and it's so refreshing!:smiley:

@raziela yesyes i intend to start on it this week after the endless recommendations by you guys !!

• Like 4