Quantcast
Jump to content
Jillia

[Upcoming Drama 2020] Convenience Store Saet Byul / Backstreet Rookie, 편의점 샛별이 - Fri & Sat @ 22:00 KST - Kim Yoo Jung & Ji Chang Wook - Premieres on June 12th

Recommended Posts

SBS/Lifetime Channel Drama

Backstreet Rookie

d7ed79b275c44dec8b75e7f7f2d767a6.jpeg?s=

Network: SBS / Lifetime Channel

Other title: Convenience Store Saet Byul

Genre: drama, romcom

Episodes: 16

Airdate: June 12th, 2020 -

Airtime: Fri & Sat @ 22:00 KST

Director: Lee Myung Woo (past work: Fiery Priest)

Writer:  Son Geun Joo (past work: Sweet, Savage Family)

Webtoon by Hwal Hwa San

Production Company: Taewon Entertainment (past work: IRIS)

Website: HERE

 

Plot:

 

Choi Dae Hyun (Ji Chang Wook) runs into a group of female high school students, including Jung Saet Byul (Kim You-Jung). The girls look like troublemakers. Jung Saet Byul asks Choi Dae Hyun to do an errand for them, which is to buy cigarettes from a convenience store. Choi Dae-Hyun buys the cigarettes for them and Jung Saet Byul gets his cellphone number, but he never gets a call from her.

4 years later, Choi Dae Hyun is now 29 years old. He runs a small convenience store after he quit his job at a large company. He is looking for a part-time worker to work the night shift at his convenience store. Jung Saet Byul comes to his store and she soon starts to work there. She is not a troublemaker anymore. Jung Saet Byul is now a university student and guided by her strong morals.

 

Credit: AsianWiki

 

Cast:

 

Kim Yoo Jung as Jung Saet Byul

EYRMYkaVAAA6vp-?format=jpg&name=medium

 

22 years old. She met Dae Hyun 4 years ago, kissing him after asking for a cigarette. 4 years later she starts working part-time at Dae Hyun's convenience store. She has a younger sister, Eun Byul, with whom she has a good and bad relationship.

 

Ji Chang Wook as Choi Dae Hyun

EYSw7MpU0AAZ6EJ?format=jpg&name=medium

 

29 years old. Meets Saet Byul 4 years ago. He fails to adjust to any job and ends up running a convenience store.

 

Han Sun Hwa as Yoo Yeon Joo

CH67355204_w300_h300.jpg

Dae Hyun's girlfriend; Team Leader of the PR team at the convenience store HQ.

 

Do Sang Woo as Jo Seung Joon

CH36179196_w300_h300.jpg

31 years old; director of the convenience store head office.

 

Solbin (LABOUM) as Jung Eun Byul

CH86818704_w300_h300.jpg

19 years old; Saet Byul's younger sister.

 

Kim Min Gyu as Kang Ji Wook (Special Appearance)

CH60697698_w300_h300.jpg

22 years old. A actor and rising star.

 

People around Dae Hyun:

 

Kim Seon Young as Gong Boon Hee

Gong Bun Hee.PNG

Choi Dae Hyun's mother.

 

Lee Byung Joon as Choi Yong Pil

Choi Young Pil.PNG

Choi Dae Hyun's father.

 

Eum Moon Suk as Dalsik

Dalsik.PNG

Choi Dae Hyun's friend and webtoon writer.

 

People around Saet Byul:

 

Yoon Soo as Cha Eun Jo

Cha Eun Joo.PNG

22 years old; Saet Byul's close friend, assistant in a beauty parlor

 

Seo Ye Hwa as Hwang Geum Bi

Hwang Geum Bi.PNG

22 years old; Saet Byul's close friend

 

People around Yeon Joo:

 

Kyeon Mi Ri as Kim Hyeri

Kim Hye Ja.PNG

Yoo Yeon Joo's mother


Former Band "Four Great Kings":

 

Woo Hyun as Kwon Ui Chu

Gwon Ui Chu.PNG

 

Lee Yoon Hee as Cha Ki Bok

Cha Ki Bok.PNG

 

Bae Ki Beom as Go Gwang Tae

Go Gwang Tae.PNG

 

Other supporting cast:

 

Ji Chan as Kang Seong Tae

 

Kim Ga Hwa as Nancy

 

Yoon Seul as So Jung Hwa

 

Lee Joo Ha as Oh Hyun Ji

 

Heo Jae Ho as Manager Park

 

First Script Reading:

 

Teaser:

 

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

  • Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder about the whole premise though. Personally when it comes to the cast I was like "huh?" because I think there is no reason to cast actors with such a age gap. Not necessarily because I feel protective of KYJ because she is off age and we need to accept she is starting to go for more mature roles. And with the webtoon characters having the age gap I get why they did cast these two together.

 

I'm more worried about the plot because... it doesn't seem to give much to fill 16 episodes. A nice slice of life drama would be nice though. But it seems to be more on the mature/adult side. 

 

Also, what worries me as well that it's the first K-drama for the US channel Lifetime. I hope the production company makes it look good. Actually it could mean a little more freedom in terms of what they can do and what not. But still until news are coming out about it I will stay worried. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. At least we know the the acting will be top

notch. I would think though with Lifetime being so female empowerment centric a drama about bad richard simmons female doctors or prosecutors or cops would be more more appropriate. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jillia said:

I wonder about the whole premise though. Personally when it comes to the cast I was like "huh?" because I think there is no reason to cast actors with such a age gap. Not necessarily because I feel protective of KYJ because she is off age and we need to accept she is starting to go for more mature roles. And with the webtoon characters having the age gap I get why they did cast these two together.

 

I'm more worried about the plot because... it doesn't seem to give much to fill 16 episodes. A nice slice of life drama would be nice though. But it seems to be more on the mature/adult side. 

 

Also, what worries me as well that it's the first K-drama for the US channel Lifetime. I hope the production company makes it look good. Actually it could mean a little more freedom in terms of what they can do and what not. But still until news are coming out about it I will stay worried. 

 

True. The story isn't promising at all. But I'm still holding on to the reason why KYJ accepted the project. There could be changes about the plot from the webtoon, but now, we don't know for sure. So until nothing is set in stone yet, I will stay hopeful.

 

On the bright side, almost everyone isn't expecting this drama to be brilliant (some even think it's gonna suck terribly), so the pressure has been taken off them, right? Lol. So when it does turn out at least decent, that would be something to celebrate.

 

It's the Instagram of the original author of the webtoon. If someone could translate the whole thing, that would be awesome.

 

But his caption at least, according to Instagram translation, says, "Fans of the actor. Don't be too distracted. The original contents will change a lot."

 

This is something hopeful, right? Haha. Let's all cross our fingers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@serhine

That's why I will wait and see what the drama got in store for us. :) I think many people are worried for a good reason but I also hope they will wait until the rest of the cast is confirmed and we get the first snippets here and there about the plot and so on. :D

 

As for the IG post, I can translate it later today. :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Translation:

 

Please have a look at this.

To the fans of Kim Yoo Jung and Ji Chang Wook.

You're worried about the lack in/insuffiency of my work.

I'm sorry and I fully understand your worries.

But please don't worry too much.

I'm not writing the drama and...

a lot of the content will be changed to fit the drama.

Please think of the great PDnim and actors and don't be too nervous.

 

@serhine :D Here you go!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jillia said:

 

Translation:

 

Please have a look at this.

To the fans of Kim Yoo Jung and Ji Chang Wook.

You're worried about the lack in/insuffiency of my work.

I'm sorry and I fully understand your worries.

But please don't worry too much.

I'm not writing the drama and...

a lot of the content will be changed to fit the drama.

Please think of the great PDnim and actors and don't be too nervous.

 

@serhine :D Here you go!


It’s a bit funny the way he says please don’t worry, I’m not writing the drama. XD Anyway, this is enough to tide me over to the next (hopefully) positive news/development. Thank you for taking the time to translate it :D

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, serhine said:


It’s a bit funny the way he says please don’t worry, I’m not writing the drama. XD Anyway, this is enough to tide me over to the next (hopefully) positive news/development. Thank you for taking the time to translate it :D

I'm kind of torn. I think it's good he knows about the worries but also he must feel so bad because people don't want his exact work to be turned into a drama with Kim Yoo Jung and Ji Chang Wook in the roles. :D 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I'm kind of torn. I think it's good he knows about the worries but also he must feel so bad because people don't want his exact work to be turned into a drama with Kim Yoo Jung and Ji Chang Wook in the roles. :D 

Yeaaah. Regardless of what kind of story it is, it is still his creation, so witnessing the negative reaction to his story really must be awful for him. Still, he posted that IG post to reassure the fans of the actors that it will be okay in the end (hopefully), so kudos to him.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm here for CJW and hope this drama is a good one. His previous one was a dull dud so I hope this one's worth it *fingers crossed*. This guy deserves better projects

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ji Chang Wook And Kim Yoo Jung Confirmed For Drama Adaptation Of Hit Webtoon

 

It’s official: Ji Chang Wook and Kim Yoo Jung will be starring together in a new drama!

On January 29, the producers of Lifetime’s upcoming drama “Convenience Store Saet Byul” (literal title) confirmed that the two actors would be taking on the leading roles.

Based on the popular webtoon of the same name, “Convenience Store Saet Byul” is a romance that will tell the story of convenience store owner Choi Dae Hyun (played by Ji Chang Wook) and part-time employee Jung Saet Byul (played by Kim Yoo Jung). The drama will be helmed by Lee Myung Woo, the producing director (PD) behind SBS’s 2019 smash hit “The Fiery Priest.”

In the drama, Choi Dae Hyun, who is blessed with handsome looks but has an unexpectedly clumsy side, winds up running a convenience store at a young age after leaving his job at a large company. There, he meets the tough and quirky Jung Saet Byul, who is determined to leave her spotty past behind and make a fresh start as a young woman who is willing to fight for justice.

“Convenience Store Saet Byul” is currently scheduled to premiere sometime this fall.

Are you excited to see Ji Chang Wook and Kim Yoo Jung together in this new drama? Share your thoughts below!

 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1379943wpp/ji-chang-wook-and-kim-yoo-jung-confirmed-for-drama-adaptation-of-hit-webtoon

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I perused the Web Toon. Yes. The  contents needs to change a lot. It’s pretty raunchy and the humor is very crude. Not to my taste as I am not a 15 year old boy :) 

 

If they acted out the original on TV it would have to very late night and both their careers and reps would take a nose dive. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say though I think the webtoon writer is kinda cute because he seems very excited for KYJ and JCW to play his characters. :D He was especially happy to finally find pictures which fit some of the angles. 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still trying to digest the fact that they are going ahead with this webtoon among all the other amazing webtoons available out there. I'm going to give this a try for Ji Chang Wook. I won't complain about the age gap since the webtoon demands so but the story line is very problematic and like someone mentioned here in this thread that it may take toll on the actors reputation. Since this is an adaption I don't think they can possibly make much changes or else they could have just opted for a fresh story-line. Here I think I will have to go ahead and trust the pd's reputation since his last drama seems to be a huge hit in South Korea. But still gonna keep my expectations low and hope to be surprised late. I hope for the actors this turns out to be well since both JCW and KYJ are talented and deserve the best. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Harry97 said:

I am still trying to digest the fact that they are going ahead with this webtoon among all the other amazing webtoons available out there. I'm going to give this a try for Ji Chang Wook. I won't complain about the age gap since the webtoon demands so but the story line is very problematic and like someone mentioned here in this thread that it may take toll on the actors reputation. Since this is an adaption I don't think they can possibly make much changes or else they could have just opted for a fresh story-line. Here I think I will have to go ahead and trust the pd's reputation since his last drama seems to be a huge hit in South Korea. But still gonna keep my expectations low and hope to be surprised late. I hope for the actors this turns out to be well since both JCW and KYJ are talented and deserve the best. 

I kind of hope the script the actors received was so good and different from the webtoon hence why they accepted it. I wonder about the writer for the drama though. I haven't heard about it and I wonder if it the same the PDnim was working with on "Fiery Priest". :D

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to reserve judgment but I simply don’t think this particular highly sexualized character is a good fit for this actress unless they almost completely change it. Though she maybe wanting to branch out and not be typecast as an innocent ingenue for ever. More power to her if that’s the case but it could go wrong if not handled very carefully.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I kind of hope the script the actors received was so good and different from the webtoon hence why they accepted it. I wonder about the writer for the drama though. I haven't heard about it and I wonder if it the same the PDnim was working with on "Fiery Priest". :D

So far I didn't find any information about the writer for the drama but the PD-nim is same as that of The Fiery Priest.

 

  

1 minute ago, RobinM said:

I try to reserve judgment but I simply don’t think this particular highly sexualized character is a good fit for this actress unless they almost completely change it. Though she maybe wanting to branch out and not be typecast as an innocent ingenue for ever. More power to her if that’s the case but it could go wrong if not handled very carefully.

 

Agreed. Both actors are at risk here. I also wonder if this drama is going to have regular duration and no. of episodes like any other kdrama or will be more like a web series. If you check the channels website all their dramas are of shorter duration (10-12min)with short number of episodes. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Harry97

Yeah what I meant to say... as you see in the first post: of course I found the writer but I have no idea how good the writer actually is. It's obviously not the same writer as the of Fiery Priest. So there is that.

 

@RobinM

Same for me. I'm going to wait for the first teasers and stills to come out which will take a bit since the drama is scheduled to air later this year. Which is also a good sign I guess because it means Lifetime Channel will take its time with their first Korean drama to produce. No idea if they themselves are also a production company or if they will put their trust in companies like Dragon Studios.

 

I'm not necessarily a fan of oversexualized characters either. Especially I don't think a 16 and later 20 something year old woman is mature enough to be taken seriously (sorry to all the 20 something ladies out there :lol:). I enjoyed dramas like "Mist" which were more mature than many Kdramas these days but the actors were all in their late 30s or early 40s. So I can totally buy the sensuality plus the sexual parts was very well written and the focus was more on the psychological parts.

 

The webtoon for this drama seems to make use of sex for crude jokes which I'm not gonna lie convinced me right away the writer is a man. lol Nothing against men because there are many mature ones out there but not many women would write about sex and boobs and such like the writer does in this webtoon. I wonder though IF they change the plot for the drama then why would they use it at all?

  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jillia just checked the writer's name on the first post and  looked up for the ratings of his drama on Wikipedia which don't look that good in my opinion but what's done is done now just gonna wait patiently for the drama and hope for the best.:D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jillia said:

No idea if they themselves are also a production company or if they will put their trust in companies like Dragon Studios.

 

Edit: Studio Dragon :lol:

 

Anyway, this is produced by Taewon Entertainment (IRIS) for Lifetime.

 

9 hours ago, Harry97 said:

just checked the writer's name on the first post and  looked up for the ratings of his drama on Wikipedia which don't look that good in my opinion but what's done is done now just gonna wait patiently for the drama and hope for the best.:D

 

Episode # Original broadcast date Average audience share
TNmS Ratings[8] AGB Nielsen[9]
Nationwide Seoul National Capital Area Nationwide Seoul National Capital Area
1 November 18, 2015 8.3% (NR) 9.7% (NR) 9.1% (16th) 9.2% (16th)
2 November 19, 2015 6.7% (20th) 7.0% (19th) 7.2% (20th) 8.1% (18th)
3 November 25, 2015 7.1% (19th) 7.8% (15th) 7.6% (NR) 8.4% (19th)
4 November 26, 2015 6.7% (NR) 7.1% (NR) 8.2% (NR) 9.5% (19th)
5 December 2, 2015 6.3% (NR) 6.7% (20th) 7.8% (19th) 8.8% (15th)
6 December 3, 2015 5.7% (NR) 6.5% (NR) 6.5% (NR) 7.3% (NR)
7 December 9, 2015 6.0% (NR) 6.4% (NR) 7.0% (NR) 7.8% (16th)
8 December 10, 2015 4.9% (NR) 5.2% (NR) 6.2% (NR) 7.0% (NR)
9 December 16, 2015 4.7% (NR) 4.5% (NR) 5.8% (NR) 6.8% (NR)
10 December 17, 2015 5.0% (NR) 4.8% (NR) 5.2% (NR) 8.1% (NR)
11 December 23, 2015 4.2% (NR) 4.1% (NR) 4.4% (NR) 7.7% (NR)
12 December 24, 2015 4.0% (NR) 6.8% (NR) 4.7% (NR) 7.7% (NR)
13 January 6, 2016 5.9% (NR) 7.5% (NR) 4.2% (NR) 7.4% (NR)
14 January 7, 2016 4.6% (NR) 7.4% (NR) 4.6% (NR) 8.2% (NR)
15 January 13, 2016 5.4% (NR) 8.0% (NR) 4.4% (NR) 8.8% (NR)
16 January 14, 2016 4.9% (NR) 8.0% (NR) 4.0% (NR) 8.3% (NR)
Average 5.7% - 6.1% -

 

It was better than Children of Nobody's ratings though :lol:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...