Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jillia

[Drama 2020] Convenience Store Saet Byul / Backstreet Rookie, 편의점 샛별이

5 minutes ago, ailanthus said:

you've got a point, people are like that sometimes and to YJ I was like just spit it out YJ, tell him right away that you saw what happened last night but in the end I understand that in reality it can happen, just common relationship problems

but I appreciated that DH tell YJ his desicion to didn't fire SB

yes we need answers for that and I feel bad that in the end my worries about DS did come true -_-

Yeah I think it can go either way. I think they were both avoiding conflict and I think they might even avoiding having the same conversation as Dae Hyun did with JEJ in the first episode at the café.

And his dream is showing that he believes he isn't enough but instead of addressing his fears he is just glossing over them.

Plus I still got some vibes between Yeon Joo and Seung Joon in their scene. Like something is or was going on between them or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

:crazymad:

2 minutes ago, vaelya said:

From what i remember about the character introduction of SB friends one is working in a Salon and the other is repeating high school years because she hasn't passed graduation test I think.

About DS characters why not we try to be possitive and see it in different way. At first there might be prejudice about him, we have to admit that might be how most human react when encountering someone different from them. But as times goes by and the characters get to know each other better they will let go of the prejudices and see each other as friend.

Oh that's why I was wondering because I remembered one of them working in a beauty salon. And she got the bleached hair and I understand that schools are on accepting that much of changing your hair color. But certainly not completely blond. :lol:

We can only hope that's the goal of the drama because there is no time right now for these type of jokes in a drama. :)

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I think what I liked the most when Dae Hyun wondered why he is treating Saet Byul the way he was treated years ago. It opened him up as a character. :)

that part hit me, the way DH was treated, it really happen tho

10 minutes ago, vaelya said:

From what i remember about the character introduction of SB friends one is working in a Salon and the other is repeating high school years because she hasn't passed graduation test I think.

About DS characters why not we try to be possitive and see it in different way. At first there might be prejudice about him, we have to admit that might be how most human react when encountering someone different from them. But as times goes by and the characters get to know each other better they will let go of the prejudices and see each other as friend.

thank you for the information, it make sense now :D

DS character is fine as long as they don't use his appearance as a way to create laughter because that's not right but yaps still hoping for that :)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, thistle said:

It may be annoying but they also have a right to their opinions and they belong to this community, too--when we don't agree, it's wise to ignore for the sake of keeping the peace. ;)  

Yes, I found the first episode very cringe-worthy and I had a tough time getting through it (although I actually really liked the kiss scene and I have no issues with anyone's age).  I'm on the fence about this drama but I like JCW so I'm curious to see the next few episodes before I decide whether or not to pack it in.

the scene with dreads and flies really made me judge SBS and the PDnim for even including such a scene. :blink: I don’t even know if I can continue however I really wanted to watch a new JCW soo much as his previous drama wasn’t the best. :tears:

• Like 3

Wow I like today's episode! The drama starts to build up on the characters well. We see more of the background of DH & his girlfriend also. It is also confirmed that SB purposefully gets the job because of her encounter with DH 3 years ago. The ways all these details are released is positive for me cause it's naturally flowing and no time wasted for lengthy flash-back. Also plot-wise, the kiss in epi 1 is definitely a stepping off point for the relationship.

The way the love triangle is positioned is also fine. SB likes DH and tries to get the job as a way to approach him. But she also knows well that he has a girlfriend and she maintains an appropriate professional relationship with him. She does not force herself upon him. For DH, it's good that he's straighforward to YJ that he will not fire SB. (To be honest, DH has always gone great lengths to not let his girlfriend down. That's not a balanced relationship in my view, where one person hides his/ her true self just to please the other. So it's good that DH states out clearly he is the boss at the convenience store and that is his decision not to fire SB.) By the way, I'm curious to see how SB encounters YJ, which sure will come in next episodes.

44 minutes ago, Tuvi Girl said:

:D

@vaelya Good thinking. Maybe the scriptwriter will make us surprised about this new character Dal-Sik. He might become the best-selling webtoon author of all time in the end of the drama. Do you notice that the male police officer in Dae-Hyun’s dream is actor Eum Moon Sik who is also in the role as Dal-Sik? He looks so handsome there that we can barely recognize him, haha...There are some original plots of the webtoon they adapt for the drama because it’s fun to watch.

Thanks for pointing this out. I would have missed the detail :D:D:D. It's so funny. And YJ also looks so beautiful in this scene.

47 minutes ago, vaelya said:

I truly hope that will be the way the drama deals with DH. Otherwise, it will be very disappointing. Otherwise, like someone points out above, we start to see more into friendship loyalty between DH & DS, between SB & her friends here. Maybe as DH & SB comes together, finally all 5 people will team up as true friends and reconcile all their conflicts.

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

I think what I liked the most when Dae Hyun wondered why he is treating Saet Byul the way he was treated years ago. It opened him up as a character. :)

I also like that part a lot. And the theme of 'prejudice' starts to talk hold a bit more solidly. Maybe DH decided to quit his job and run the convenience store so that he regains freedom and self-confidence. And I like this 'life-slice' style, to highlight how normal people are living standard lives in normal jobs and facing up with daily difficulties. 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Tuvi Girl said:

@vaelya Good thinking. Maybe the scriptwriter will make us surprised about this new character Dal-Sik. He might become the best-selling webtoon author of all time in the end of the drama. Do you notice that the male police officer in Dae-Hyun’s dream is actor Eum Moon Sik who is also in the role as Dal-Sik? He looks so handsome there that we can barely recognize him, haha...There are some original plots of the webtoon they adapt for the drama because it’s fun to watch.

Sorry to cut your post. :D

But what a great spotting. I thought he looked familiar but didn't think it was Eum Moon Sik. :lol: I wonder if Dae Hyun really thinks of Dalsik as THE man?

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

25 minutes ago, suie said:

the scene with dreads and flies really made me judge SBS and the PDnim for even including such a scene. :blink: I don’t even know if I can continue however I really wanted to watch a new JCW soo much as his previous drama wasn’t the best. :tears:

Frankly, I also had a problem with this.  However, I realize that, in light of current events, we are all exceptionally sensitive to any racial overtones so, while this characterization is very much a dodgy choice on the part of SBS and the PD, I'm gonna take a deep breath before I duck out because of it (even though it is tempting to do so).  This is Not a good thing that they have done.  But I'm still gonna give the drama another week or so to prove itself.

I really enjoy watching JCW and I'm hopeful that this drama will help me to forget MMS (a drama which I still cannot understand why he chose to appear in when he could have played an astronaut role instead--likely much more exciting than the frozen "dessert" that we got).  :P

• Like 2

Translation attempt for preview to ep 3. The clip is from @cherkell's post. Haven't watched the episode yet, so will jump back later with thoughts after I get a chance to watch it.

DH: Why is she so cheerful today? Did she accomplish something or what?
Customer: I don’t need a receipt.
SB: Customer!
DS: Dae Hyun, answer the phone! It’s a big deal!
SB: Why? Is your girlfriend not answering?
DH: No, that’s not it!
SB: Why are you standing in the front (of the store) yelling like this?
DS: Dae Hyun, you know your part-timer?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, thistle said:

Frankly, I also had a problem with this.  However, I realize that, in light of current events, we are all exceptionally sensitive to any racial overtones so, while this characterization is very much a dodgy choice on the part of SBS and the PD, I'm gonna take a deep breath before I duck out because of it (even though it is tempting to do so).  This is Not a good thing that they have done.  But I'm still gonna give the drama another week or so to prove itself.

I will give the 2nd ep a chance but seeing that character often may just turn me off. Idk how much he will be featured and I don’t have high hopes for them to tone it down! 

Also the show seems like it’s coming from a male gaze only. Let’s see. 

• Like 3

https://unstoppablesun.com/2020/06/20/backstreet-rookie-ep-2-recap-and-dancing-shenanigans/

Episode 2 Recap is out!

38 minutes ago, thoattm said:

I truly hope that will be the way the drama deals with DH. Otherwise, it will be very disappointing. Otherwise, like someone points out above, we start to see more into friendship loyalty between DH & DS, between SB & her friends here. Maybe as DH & SB comes together, finally all 5 people will team up as true friends and reconcile all their conflicts.

I also like that part a lot. And the theme of 'prejudice' starts to talk hold a bit more solidly. Maybe DH decided to quit his job and run the convenience store so that he regains freedom and self-confidence. And I like this 'life-slice' style, to highlight how normal people are living standard lives in normal jobs and facing up with daily difficulties. 

I agree! I really hope the dramas deals with the friendship between DH's crew and SB's crew because it was a little disappointing to see how they treated DS. I don't understand why they couldn't just make DS a webtoon writer without adding dreadlocks (even if that's how it is in the source manhwa, this has always been a sensitive topic and I don't know why it's so hard for SBS to fix this given that kdramas have international fanbases now)

Moreover having DS there just for SB's friends to wonder what species he is, is just...I can't even. There's no explaining that away. Like, dreadlocks don't make you subhuman, or result in bugs on your head. :(

I wonder why SB was expelled though and why she says she has no family, while also saying she can't go home. Is there a reason for why her and her sister cannot go home?

Does anyone else feel something fishing between YJ and Seungjoon? Maybe they're engaged because they're both rich?

Also I LOVED the dancing!!!!! SO MUCH FUN!

The song they were dancing to is called 'You Can Never Tell" by Chuck Berry!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hyukjaeismine said:

https://unstoppablesun.com/2020/06/20/backstreet-rookie-ep-2-recap-and-dancing-shenanigans/

Episode 2 Recap is out!

I agree! I really hope the dramas deals with the friendship between DH's crew and SB's crew because it was a little disappointing to see how they treated DS. They'll let go of their prejudices, the same way DH does with SB!

I wonder why SB was expelled though and why she says she has no family, while also saying she can't go home. Is there a reason for why her and her sister cannot go home?

Does anyone else feel something fishing between YJ and Seungjoon? Maybe they're engaged because they're both rich?

Also I LOVED the dancing!!!!! SO MUCH FUN!

The song they were dancing to is called 'You Can Never Tell" by Chuck Berry!

I really hope for the sake of the drama they address it and won't gloss over it as humor.

And YES I loved the dancing scene so much as well! :D

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, hyukjaeismine said:

Could they be engaged? Because earlier DH & YJ talk about seeing each other's parents. Could it happen if YJ is already engaged? But I guess likely that SJ will be the one with YJ in the end. Indeed they might match each other well, in terms of social ranks and lifestyles (especially if we talk realistically about love and marriage in Korean society).

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Dal-Sik looks like a bizarre person with an odd career (erotic webtoon author), weird Hawaiian fashion, exotic Reggae hairstyle, and unhygienic habit, but deep inside he has a very big heart. He said “I’m original Korean”, so please don’t have a preconception that he cosplays a black person in this drama. Dreadlocks are popular among black community, but it doesn’t mean this hairstyle represents or only belongs to just one race, or whoever wearing dreadlocks is cosplaying a black person. Definitely Dal-Sik doesn’t look like a typical black guy I see in America. He doesn’t look like a typical Asian, or black or white person either. Dal-Sik is just playing HIMSELF, a person with an unattractive appearance but very kind-hearted and totally non-violent. He’s a gentleman who couldn’t fight against the younger girls and so unconditionally supportive of his friend. Why don’t we look at his inner beauties instead of insisting on his unusual physical appearance?-_- The rose is beautiful if you concentrate to look at the petals, but if you keep staring at the thorns, it will be ugly and so unpleasant. Can I say that Dal-Sik character is like an exotic rose? 

I’ve just noticed Shipper Paradise thread for ChangYoo couple has been created. 

It’s still quiet there a bit, but I think the ship will sail far. ^_^

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Tuvi Girl said:

Dal-Sik looks like a bizarre person with an odd career (erotic webtoon author), weird Hawaiian fashion, exotic Reggae hairstyle, and unhygienic habit, but deep inside he has a very big heart. He said “I’m original Korean”, so please don’t have a preconception that he cosplays a black person in this drama. Dreadlocks are popular among black community, but it doesn’t mean this hairstyle represents or only belongs to just one race, or whoever wearing dreadlocks is cosplaying a black person. Definitely Dal-Sik doesn’t look like a typical black guy I see in America. He doesn’t look like a typical Asian, or black or white person either. He is just playing HIMSELF, a person with unattractive appearance but very kind-hearted and totally non-violent. He’s a gentleman who couldn’t fight against the younger girls and so unconditionally supportive of his friend. Why don’t we look at his inner beauties instead of insisting on his unusual physical appearance?-_- The rose is beautiful if you concentrate to look at the petals, but if you keep staring at the thorns, it will be ugly and so unpleasant. Can I say that Dal-Sik character is like an exotic rose?

I think we all wish exactly that the drama does not play with those preconceptions by making fun of DS's appearance or career or whatsoever. Please just go in the right way and prove that our current concerns are wrong.

You are right about the exchange where DH confirms to SB that DS is truly Korean. SB & her friends are judging DS (I regret the line about 'cavemen', it should not be there in anyway. Should not go that far only for fun purposes) but at least DH is definitely treating DS respectfully as a true friend. I'll take that as a positive sign that the drama will deal with DS well in the end. And from the preview 3, I believe that DS will play a bigger role in the story. At least he is not there in the drama just for nothing.

• Like 6

On 6/20/2020 at 8:15 PM, Jillia said:

Sorry to cut your post. :D

But what a great spotting. I thought he looked familiar but didn't think it was Eum Moon Sik. :lol: I wonder if Dae Hyun really thinks of Dalsik as THE man?

I liked the reference to Eum Moon Sik's previous drama, Tell Me What You Saw, where he played a serial killer cop, which is why Dae Hyun told Yeon Joo that he is a dangerous criminal. No matter what we think about Dal Sik, EMS is cast for memorable characters. I also found it funny how his name is Moon Seok, his name in TMWYS was Dong Sik, and in this one he is Dal Sik.

On the other hand, I understand that everyone is a little on the edge with the latest developments in US (Sorry, I know it's not the best way to put it, but I just couldn't find a better way to express it. Put it on my limited vocabulary.), but in this drama Dal Sik is just... not your average Korean, and in different circumstances most of us would just find him unusual, peculiar, original, funny or however you want to put it. Even though I have to admit that his introduction was not my kind of humor, I might have found it easier to accept as I was glad to see the actor and the disturbing part passes less noticed.

Maybe when watching K-dramas we should also accept the fact that no matter how much dramas we have watched, they come from a different culture, and they have different jokes, and that their sensitive topics are not the same as our sensitive topics. Last year I was taking an English class in a Portuguese university and I used the word "gipsy" when talking about the Romani leaving in Romania. The teacher did not tell me that I should not had used "gipsy" but he made sure to use "Romani". Actually I would have liked it better if he actually told me directly not to use it, because I would have had the opportunity to explain myself. I have friends who told me that they prefer being called "gipsies", as "Romani" is just a fancy name given to them and that it doesn't define them, they do not identify themselves with the name. I think the same is true for Korean entertainment and jokes. We judge them from our culture and we do not find them appropriate, while we are not part of their culture.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

I wonder though how people would perceive the drama if the source material wasn't so nasty? I see the criticism really comes from people either:

Spoiler

a) not being able to watch the drama without thinking of the webtoon - which I understand because in the end that's what PD-nim took as his source material. Rather unfortunate but maybe also unfair?

b) the age gap is still a big thing for a lot of people and I understand not everyone is able to look past that. Personally the only drama I felt extremely offended by was when Kim Yoo Jung was cast as the female lead alongside Lee Je Hoon (who is an extremely good actor but putting that aside what did the casting director think casting a 15 year old as a love interest for someone in his 20s). But with CWPFN and now with Backstreet Rookie I see Kim Yoo Jung as an adult (and legally she is!) and it's highly difficult to transition to adult roles without having to deal with people who still see her as a child actress. Do I think there are enough young enough actors to be paired up with Kim Yoo Jung? YES! But do I blame it on the actors, namely KYJ and JCW, that they got cast in a drama together? NO! I understand they have a age gap anyways and at least for the drama they minimized it. But of course that doesn't take away the 10 year or 12 year (?) between them in RL. So if anyone is having issues with that. I understand. But it's easy to move on to something else.

c) is Saet Byul sexualized and is Dae Hyun portrayed as the dork, so we look past him possibly looking at her in a sexual way. So far I didn't see what Dae Hyun did as inappropriate. He wasn't staring at her boobs or even at her butt. I think it's fine for him to wonder why she kissed him and to wonder if he was really her first. Men, no matter how good they are, will always have this weird caveman thing going on. As my biology teacher said back then: men aren't that complicated. They just want to get a woman and carry her to their cave. But in the end, the whole "you were her first kiss" was planted by Saet Byul's friends and I'm not sure if it wasn't a power move on their part to have Saet Byul keep her job (even though she is super capable and doesn't need emotional manipulation done on Dae Hyun). Also, I think it's easy to get dazzled by Saet Byul. She excudes confidence, something Dae Hyun lacks. And Yeon Joo herself is a confident woman as well. Both in very different ways are at least on the outside comfortable where they are and they show it. And Dae Hyun seems to be attracted to those type of women. JEJ as well was very confident.

HOWEVER, Saet Byul seems very confident but I also think she might not be as confident as she is supposed to be. I think her friends are telling a lot of stories about her, how the kiss which was actually a peck (we can talk about the wrongness of the kiss and missing consent on Dae Hyun's part somewhere else) was not only her first but also her last kiss. Which actually implies if it's true Saet Byul is completely innocent and that could be seen as somewhat a problem. In which Saet Byul isn't just working for the man she likes but also is sexually not experienced (which Dae Hyun clearly is, or at least that is implied). NOW that would be a problem if the drama is trying to put her in that type of role and it would show that the drama is made by men.

Anyways, I think I would've a much bigger issue with the way the drama is portraying Saet Byul RIGHT NOW if she was more like in the webtoon. Pretty sure that would never air on SBS if that happened. But still I think I haven't seen as of now a lot of problematic stuff happening. Aside from the kiss which was certainly a problem for a lot of people. But at least they didn't make Dae Hyun fantasize about Saet Byul and you know having some self-care time at night thinking about the kiss.

d) what I personally find problematic is: if Saet Byul and Dae Hyun actually end up in some sort of romantic feelings there is definitely a power imbalance. Because Dae Hyun is Saet Byul's boss and despite her not taking him completely serious, it's still a fact and it's not something I would appreciate if they end up dating when we know that Dae Hyun could have the power to fire her if things go wrong between them or ask for favors at work, like staying longer etc. Yes, we assume that Dae Hyun would never do that. But if we would ask ourselves would we date our bosses? I don't think so. Why? Because we're not on the same level. The boss always got the power, no matter how confident Saet Byul is.

e) and I won't say much about that but my biggest problem is really Dalsik. I know maybe the drama is trying to make a point in the future but at the same time I find introducing a character who obviously is meant to remind people of the original webtoon with his erotic webtoons, a bit insensitive in times like this. And they didn't introduce him well enough for me to think they have more going on than "let's make this men look like a joke for the whole drama".

Anyways, there is a lot of valid criticsm out there and I think if we have mature discussions about it it's fine to address them. But I would also wish that people would forget about the source material and look at the drama as what it is. A loosely based adaptation of the source material which deserves a fair chance.

And I really appreciate that most people who are posting here are saying openly how they feel about the drama but still give it a chance before either dropping or continueing it. :)

Sorry, I needed to get that off my chest! Because I think I really can enjoy the drama but of course should there be anything problematic in the future episodes it's important to address.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

13 hours ago, Jillia said:

Hide contents

I really liked the music in this episode. The only cringeworthy scene with cringeworthy music was really with Dalsik but let's talk later about him. Overall, the music fit the scenes perfectly. And yes, @SweetButters, I think the one BGM is either highly inspired by Billie Eilish or they really took the musical cue of it.

@Jillia Yea I like all of the music so far too !! Can't wait to see what other music they have in store for us :love: !!!! Oh whew good!!! I thought I was imagining stuff when I heard that BGM and was like oh is it Billie Eilish hahah!!! 

• Like 4

Ok so I rewatched ep 2 a 2nd time and I really loved it. I think bc I was half asleep during my first watch that I didn’t enjoy as much. I still hate dalshik tho and find my bp rising every time he appears on screen. EMS’s looks like he’s a really good comedy actor judging from his performance in TFP that I find his talent being wasted here. Also I’m really annoyed by how flat and outdated BR is looking in terms of coloring, lighting, cinematography, camera angles in various scenes. it looks pretty good when I watch it on a higher quality screen with the brightness up but wished it looks better tbh. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

I wonder though how people would perceive the drama if the source material wasn't so nasty? I see the criticism really comes from people either:

Reveal hidden contents

a) not being able to watch the drama without thinking of the webtoon - which I understand because in the end that's what PD-nim took as his source material. Rather unfortunate but maybe also unfair?

b) the age gap is still a big thing for a lot of people and I understand not everyone is able to look past that. Personally the only drama I felt extremely offended by was when Kim Yoo Jung was cast as the female lead alongside Lee Je Hoon (who is an extremely good actor but putting that aside what did the casting director think casting a 15 year old as a love interest for someone in his 20s). But with CWPFN and now with Backstreet Rookie I see Kim Yoo Jung as an adult (and legally she is!) and it's highly difficult to transition to adult roles without having to deal with people who still see her as a child actress. Do I think there are enough young enough actors to be paired up with Kim Yoo Jung? YES! But do I blame it on the actors, namely KYJ and JCW, that they got cast in a drama together? NO! I understand they have a age gap anyways and at least for the drama they minimized it. But of course that doesn't take away the 10 year or 12 year (?) between them in RL. So if anyone is having issues with that. I understand. But it's easy to move on to something else.

c) is Saet Byul sexualized and is Dae Hyun portrayed as the dork, so we look past him possibly looking at her in a sexual way. So far I didn't see what Dae Hyun did as inappropriate. He wasn't staring at her boobs or even at her butt. I think it's fine for him to wonder why she kissed him and to wonder if he was really her first. Men, no matter how good they are, will always have this weird caveman thing going on. As my biology teacher said back then: men aren't that complicated. They just want to get a woman and carry her to their cave. But in the end, the whole "you were her first kiss" was planted by Saet Byul's friends and I'm not sure if it wasn't a power move on their part to have Saet Byul keep her job (even though she is super capable and doesn't need emotional manipulation done on Dae Hyun). Also, I think it's easy to get dazzled by Saet Byul. She excudes confidence, something Dae Hyun lacks. And Yeon Joo herself is a confident woman as well. Both in very different ways are at least on the outside comfortable where they are and they show it. And Dae Hyun seems to be attracted to those type of women. JEJ as well was very confident.

HOWEVER, Saet Byul seems very confident but I also think she might not be as confident as she is supposed to be. I think her friends are telling a lot of stories about her, how the kiss which was actually a peck (we can talk about the wrongness of the kiss and missing consent on Dae Hyun's part somewhere else) was not only her first but also her last kiss. Which actually implies if it's true Saet Byul is completely innocent and that could be seen as somewhat a problem. In which Saet Byul isn't just working for the man she likes but also is sexually not experienced (which Dae Hyun clearly is, or at least that is implied). NOW that would be a problem if the drama is trying to put her in that type of role and it would show that the drama is made by men.

Anyways, I think I would've a much bigger issue with the way the drama is portraying Saet Byul RIGHT NOW if she was more like in the webtoon. Pretty sure that would never air on SBS if that happened. But still I think I haven't seen as of now a lot of problematic stuff happening. Aside from the kiss which was certainly a problem for a lot of people. But at least they didn't make Dae Hyun fantasize about Saet Byul and you know having some self-care time at night thinking about the kiss.

d) what I personally find problematic is: if Saet Byul and Dae Hyun actually end up in some sort of romantic feelings there is definitely a power imbalance. Because Dae Hyun is Saet Byul's boss and despite her not taking him completely serious, it's still a fact and it's not something I would appreciate if they end up dating when we know that Dae Hyun could have the power to fire her if things go wrong between them or ask for favors at work, like staying longer etc. Yes, we assume that Dae Hyun would never do that. But if we would ask ourselves would we date our bosses? I don't think so. Why? Because we're not on the same level. The boss always got the power, no matter how confident Saet Byul is.

e) and I won't say much about that but my biggest problem is really Dalsik. I know maybe the drama is trying to make a point in the future but at the same time I find introducing a character who obviously is meant to remind people of the original webtoon with his erotic webtoons, a bit insensitive in times like this. And they didn't introduce him well enough for me to think they have more going on than "let's make this men look like a joke for the whole drama".

Anyways, there is a lot of valid criticsm out there and I think if we have mature discussions about it it's fine to address them. But I would also wish that people would forget about the source material and look at the drama as what it is. A loosely based adaptation of the source material which deserves a fair chance.

And I really appreciate that most people who are posting here are saying openly how they feel about the drama but still give it a chance before either dropping or continueing it. :)

Sorry, I needed to get that off my chest! Because I think I really can enjoy the drama but of course should there be anything problematic in the future episodes it's important to address.

Thanks for sharing your thoughtful comments! You're right. Every drama has its own problems (and to be fair, Korean dramas, even the super successful ones over the previous years are not free from problems, especially its cliche descriptions of romantic relationships.) But it's important to address them, though it'll be impossible to always do that 100% fairly cause every person is looking from their own views. I'm happy with the mood in this thread and that I can't read Korean so that not affected by haters' non-sense comments.

Now you've said it, I realized that in the beginning, I did expect SB comes to DH less because she is romantically attracted to him (because he is handsome?) but more because she is impressed by his warm-hearted nature. SB did say that DH is the first one to tell her to stop smoking, aka 1st person to care about her well-being despite being a stranger. I can imagine that for a girl with a troubled past like her, without family and dispelled from school, she must have craved so much for someone looking through her true self and truly caring about her, despite everything she did. The kiss might be a hook so that they can come to terms with their encounter 3 years ago. But it should not definitely be the anchor for their romantic relationships. And so, that 'the first and the last kiss' should no longer matter.

So I truly hope that the drama will do justice to how their relationship evolves, much less referring to the kiss but more about how they help each other face up to their own troubled pasts and live better for the future.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

To be very honest I wasn't planning to watch the show now 

I wanted to watch it once it ends and comes to Netflix 

But it's ALL OVER THE NET 

people on FB Twitter insta are filled with gifs and pics of the lead couples scenes 

They are discussing everything 

The epis are even uploaded on yt today with different subtitles 

So I lost to my initial promise and downloaded the app and watched the 2 epis now 

It was so refreshingly good 

To be very honest by the promos it looked like some slapstick forced comedy 

I was very sad as I wanted a good watchable show for our jelly couple 

AND I M SO RELIEVED

in just 2 epis they introduced the characters ....gave is hints of their past life...gave some action some fun some humour some romance...I was surprised how well edited and we'll balanced the epis we're and the casting is just PERFECT

OUR JELLY COUPLE ARE JUST SO GOOD in their respective roles individually and also when they are together

I m really liking the approach of the director 

Phew 

It should have aired on Netflix the way it's ok to be not okay is being aired 

• Like 7